Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    A Mixed bag of humor today

zJGRO7.jpg

crmw1e.jpg

WtTq9b.jpg

BzwsRT.jpg

p1Vbmn.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning---TGIF :)

Very late rising this morning...but, today and tomorrow I have no scheduled events that take me away from my little snug part of the world!
    Last nights gymnastics was really good. Livy mastered a flip that includes no hands on floor. YIKES...I couldn't do that now...did learn how as a kid in school..P.E teacher taught us just a smidgeon of gymnastics moves...that was one of them, and every time I did them at home, it would scare my poor Mother to death...so I did quite a few of them.. the term today would be pushing her buttons! LOL!
    Great humor posts today Roger!

I stil have 10 or so emails in my inbox...for every one or two I 'manage' seems like two more appear! I finally just quit. Will deal with them later. (started the day with 21 so I have made some progress) These emails are mostly 'sales' oriented. Enough already!!!

Yesterday and this morning I began logging my food on My Fitness Pal...doing much better than I thought I was! Will continue this for awhile, as I find it interesting!

Ed...how's the meatloaf? You know you made that! :) Pecan pie not one of my fav's., but they are good...can't beat syrupy sugar!

Nearly noon....still in jammies and robe. I need to 'fix' that. For one, I need to get to the curb and retrieve the trash cart, and the recycle bin...I thought I'd sneak out in my robe and house slippers...and as the garage door rose, I had a neighbor out doors...so down went the garage door!!! 7-8 a.m. I've have gone right out, waved at my neighbor, and gone on about my business...but it was more like 10...and well past the time for most 'normal' peeps to be in street clothes.

Lost the last Scrabble game (yet again, I know) by less than 10 points...why do I do this? Defeating & demoralizing. That's what it is!! OTOH, so glad to have raised 2 intelligent male children!!! They are blessed with some extra brain cells I think.

Ok here's the deal...if I go now, right now, and get dressed I will allow Valerie to kick the heat up about 2 degrees. I'm cold this morning, as in cold nose, and cold fingers...the rest of me is well to adequately dressed for warmth! :)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,227 Member
    The pecan pie is baked. I don't intend eating very much of it, as I made it for J.

20161202_101436_zpspawom5k1.jpg

The remainder of the pecan pieces I will use to experiment on no sugar added (to the dough anyway) double chocolate M & M pecan Christmas cookies.
  • parityanimal
    Actually Eduardo is saving the meatloaf for dinner tonight. And breakfast tomorrow. And probably dinner tomorrow...and breakfast or lunch the next day...

But it is definitely being cooked today, sometime!
  • RogerToo
    edited December 2016
    Lucky Me :(
    http://www.thefinancialword.com/9-worst-u-s-states-to-retire/?utm_medium=US&utm_campaign=Taboola&utm_content=WorstStates_DT_Tab_MatureColdC2&utm_source=tmg-mirror

It was sort of cold today, not so much from the temperature as from the breeze caused Wind Chill. That continues tomorrow too.

There is a pot of pea soup on the stove right now that my brother started yesterday :) It smells good and a quick taste test shows that it is good tasting.

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning---TGIF :)

Very late rising this morning...but, today and tomorrow I have no scheduled events that take me away from my little snug part of the world!
    Last nights gymnastics was really good. Livy mastered a flip that includes no hands on floor. YIKES...I couldn't do that now...did learn how as a kid in school..P.E teacher taught us just a smidgeon of gymnastics moves...that was one of them, and every time I did them at home, it would scare my poor Mother to death...so I did quite a few of them.. the term today would be pushing her buttons! LOL!
    Great humor posts today Roger!

I still have 10 or so emails in my inbox...for every one or two I 'manage' seems like two more appear! I finally just quit. Will deal with them later. (started the day with 21 so I have made some progress) These emails are mostly 'sales' oriented. Enough already!!!

Yesterday and this morning I began logging my food on My Fitness Pal...doing much better than I thought I was! Will continue this for awhile, as I find it interesting!

Ed...how's the meatloaf? You know you made that! :) Pecan pie not one of my fav's., but they are good...can't beat syrupy sugar!

Nearly noon....still in jammies and robe. I need to 'fix' that. For one, I need to get to the curb and retrieve the trash cart, and the recycle bin...I thought I'd sneak out in my robe and house slippers...and as the garage door rose, I had a neighbor out doors...so down went the garage door!!! 7-8 a.m. I've have gone right out, waved at my neighbor, and gone on about my business...but it was more like 10...and well past the time for most 'normal' peeps to be in street clothes.

Lost the last Scrabble game (yet again, I know) by less than 10 points...why do I do this? Defeating & demoralizing. That's what it is!! OTOH, so glad to have raised 2 intelligent male children!!! They are blessed with some extra brain cells I think.

Ok here's the deal...if I go now, right now, and get dressed I will allow Valerie to kick the heat up about 2 degrees. I'm cold this morning, as in cold nose, and cold fingers...the rest of me is well to adequately dressed for warmth! :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I manage sales emails by not opening them if possible and just permanently deleting them rather than moving them to the trash where they are restorable with the email program I use. Called Thunderbird.

I have seen type of a flip and it is showy too. How nice that You had a good Gymnastics last night.

You have started logging foods on MFP and I stopped bothering unless it turns out to be needed in the future :)

This is just my opinion however I look at things like Scrabble as keeping the brain stimulated.

Enjoy Your Day
    Roger
    The pecan pie is baked. I don't intend eating very much of it, as I made it for J.

20161202_101436_zpspawom5k1.jpg

The remainder of the pecan pieces I will use to experiment on no sugar added (to the dough anyway) double chocolate M & M pecan Christmas cookies.

Hi Ed
    That Pie looks so delicious if it were in the house I would be eating too much of it :)
    Actually Eduardo is saving the meatloaf for dinner tonight. And breakfast tomorrow. And probably dinner tomorrow...and breakfast or lunch the next day...

But it is definitely being cooked today, sometime!
    My Brother brought home some Meatloaf in Brown Gravy from the grocery store and I am thinking about rinsing off the gravy before heating it and putting it in a wrap with either Ketchup or Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. I suspect that getting rid of the gravy will also lower the amount of Sodium. It shows a serving size of one slice and 150 calories :)
    After heating I think I will put it on the Ancient Grains wrap to see how they are.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2016
    My dinner, as served. Pre-dinner appetizer was half a package (3) of Amy's mushroom & cheese swirls. Overall, quite a nice dinner and at least three more meals of meatloaf left. It's not my mother's meatloaf, but I thought it was actually pretty good. Eduardo did...mostly...prepare it mom style, with minor variations on the gravy, including some leftover marinara in addition to the usual ketchup, which actually worked out quite well!

20161202_181501_zpsetwn73jx.jpg

J did not go hungry either. He had the other 3 mushroom & cheese swirls, with some marinara, and I made him a nice, cheesy Basmati rice and chili bean casserole and he had some of the steamed, lightly buttered broccoli with a serving of it. And there's plenty of that casserole left for more meals too.

20161202_180708_zpsm7uwhxxp.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Well, I had my small sliver of pecan pie. It was totally worth it too! The pie came out GREAT! J can eat the rest. :)
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    As I read this in the morning, pecan pie for breakfast sounds...decadent, Ed. It looks like a winner. Of course, I wondered about the sugar free part of it - until you mentioned making it sugar free in the crus only!

Roger, ditto as far as where to live in retirement. Actually, Marc (my husband) is retired. We talk of moving away in about 5 years. By then I will leave my full-time work. Not sure if I will retire or just look for another job in a warmer - and cheaper - climate.

Val - watching a little one in gymnastics can be hard on parents (and grandparents, too). Even though I did gymnastics as a kid and knew what to expect, watching my daughter do things years ago was hard. I always feared the fall.

Take care all,
    Lee-Ann
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    Out the door today it was showing 42 degrees a slight warmup from yesterday. I walked 7.5K steps so far. I will be going back out in a while walking up to the bank when they open.
    While walking today one of the Old Time Radio Shows I have been Listening to is the December 25, 1943 episode of command performance from here, it is the #2 show on that list with Bob Hope, Kay Kyser, Andrews Sisters, Jimmy Durante, Fibber McGee & Molly, Duffys Tavern and more :)
    https://archive.org/details/CommandPerformanceChristmas#

I need to adjust the audio level on some more of the Christmas 1943 radio shows since I only have one more left to listen too after I finish with the Command Performance I am currently listening to. I use a free program called Audacity to adjust the level so that they all play at the same volume. Otherwise I end up having to stop, pull out the iPod and adjust the level up for low volume shows or down for loud shows.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited December 2016
    My dinner, as served. Pre-dinner appetizer was half a package (3) of Amy's mushroom & cheese swirls. Overall, quite a nice dinner and at least three more meals of meatloaf left. It's not my mother's meatloaf, but I thought it was actually pretty good. Eduardo did...mostly...prepare it mom style, with minor variations on the gravy, including some leftover marinara in addition to the usual ketchup, which actually worked out quite well!

20161202_181501_zpsetwn73jx.jpg

J did not go hungry either. He had the other 3 mushroom & cheese swirls, with some marinara, and I made him a nice, cheesy Basmati rice and chili bean casserole and he had some of the steamed, lightly buttered broccoli with a serving of it. And there's plenty of that casserole left for more meals too.

20161202_180708_zpsm7uwhxxp.jpg

Hi Ed
    Those meals look delicious both the meatloaf plate and the casserole.

I did end up rinsing off the Meatloaf before heating and it was tasty with some ketchup on the Ancient Grains wrap. I used it as my Entree along with a Apple and a Light & Fit Greek Yogurt to complete the meal.
    Well, I had my small sliver of pecan pie. It was totally worth it too! The pie came out GREAT! J can eat the rest. :)
    Interestingly enough we watched a T-Day episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown and he made a Pecan Pie. He used a Baking pan, a 9 1/2 to 10-inch tart pan that is 2 inches deep, With a removable platter and after chilling the pie, Flipped it over on a Parchment paper. sliced it upside down then Flipped it back over. It came out with perfect slices and no breakage that way. Hes used a similar product to this one in the filling Tate and Lyle's Golden Syrup 454g
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/bourbon-pecan-pie-recipe.html
    https://www.amazon.com/Tate-Lyles-Golden-Syrup-454g/dp/B0001590BY
    Product Description
    Lyle's Golden Syrup is a thick, amber-colored form of inverted sugar syrup, made in the process of refining sugar cane juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugar solution with acid. It is used in a variety of baking recipes and desserts. It has an appearance similar to honey, and is often used as a substitute for people who do not eat honey. It can also be used as a substitute for corn syrup.

One thing that looked really tasty was the use of Pecans in the crust too.
    EASP07H_bourbon-pecan-pie_s4x3.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg

I am thinking the Pecan Crust could work well with anything that takes a custard filling such as Banana Cream pie or Pumpkin Pie.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    As I read this in the morning, pecan pie for breakfast sounds...decadent, Ed. It looks like a winner. Of course, I wondered about the sugar free part of it - until you mentioned making it sugar free in the crust only!

Roger, ditto as far as where to live in retirement. Actually, Marc (my husband) is retired. We talk of moving away in about 5 years. By then I will leave my full-time work. Not sure if I will retire or just look for another job in a warmer - and cheaper - climate.

Val - watching a little one in gymnastics can be hard on parents (and grandparents, too). Even though I did gymnastics as a kid and knew what to expect, watching my daughter do things years ago was hard. I always feared the fall.

Take care all,
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    TBH Pecan Pie Does sound good for breakfast.

I guess? it could be worse at least NJ is number 6 :)

I suspect that falls are a expected part of the process when learning gymnastics. They even have the occasional fall during the Olympics.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Quick Good Morning!
    I have an agenda today! :)
    The pie looked delicious Ed, as did the cheesy rice casserole...I know the meat loaf was good, but meat just doesn't appeal to me anymore! Weird huh?

I'm heading to the kitchen for my 'greens' this morning. Will make a big pot, and have enough to put a plate in the refrigerator for tomorrow morning...which is a hockey morning and having a 'pre-made' heat and eat is really appreciated! Will be adding mixed beans, onion, mushroom, to my greens, and possibly some Nut. Yeast, or lemon, or.......you get the idea. Will depend on how I feel tomorrow!

I also hope to stop by the H-Mart for purple sweet potatoes either today or maybe tomorrow is they're open early enough. I really enjoyed the one I had earlier this week.

Lee-Ann, it is kinda hard to watch them, but they are so careful with the littles. My heart stopping moments for Olivia are when she's on the parallel bars. Sometimes its a bit scary for her too...we all know, cuz she lets out a little high pitched 'squeak' that you can hear throughout the gym!! (she also squeaked a lot learning to do a flip backwards, I don't remember what its called, but it was def. squeaky)

Roger, you're right, Jersey was 6, but there were 5 worse!!!
    And Lee-Ann...and 4 universities in the ATL area..well, Athens is a bit of a drive, but
    GA works out pretty well...utilities are not so bad, as we have months of 'temperate' weather, and the best is Seniors don't pay state income tax. Fed. taxes yes, but not state taxes.

Later...

• RogerToo
    Hi Valerie
    Nothing wrong IMO with preparing ahead :)

I was somewhat surprised that North Carolina and Minnesota were in the top 9 however.

Planned for later on today is going out and wrapping the Fig Trees.

Having returned from walking to the bank and eaten breakfast my FitBit shows I am up to 10,812 steps at 10AM Whee :)

Monday I plan to walk early and finish big with a walk to the Post office to ship a Medium Flat Rate box to my Sister. That will have the utilitarian Christmas Gift a Emergency Medical Kit for the house since she already received the Pretty part earlier. Also included will be a a Food treat that is not available out there. The 24 ounce Tangy Pork Roll is in the freezer hardening up before I Vacuum seal it, wrap it in something to insulate it and ship it to her. That gives her a Taste of NJ.
    Pork roll
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Pork Roll (regionally known as Taylor Ham) is a pork-based processed meat originating and commonly available in New Jersey, New York, Delaware and parts of Pennsylvania and Maryland. It was developed in 1856 by John Taylor of Trenton, New Jersey, and sold as "Taylor Ham". Other producers entered the market, and subsequent food labeling regulations required Taylor to designate it as a "pork roll" alongside their competitors.

Enjoy Your Hockey Morning Sunday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    As I read this in the morning, pecan pie for breakfast sounds...decadent, Ed. It looks like a winner. Of course, I wondered about the sugar free part of it - until you mentioned making it sugar free in the crus only!

Take care all,
    Lee-Ann

Heh. That's why I had just a small sliver of the pie. J can eat the rest because, like any really good pecan pie, it's mostly SUGAR and SYRUP. I have, in the past, made a no-sugar-added pecan pie that tasted fine, but the maltitol syrup base doesn't really agree with me in the quantity eaten in a decent sized slice of pie. Even if I use the sugar free pancake syrup for pancakes I don't use anywhere near the quarter cup serving size, adding instead just a teensy drizzle to get a little tiny bit of maple syrup flavor on my pancakes. Probably might as well use real syrup for the amount I eat.

Well, off to bed.

G'nite all!

• Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Good Morning Folks,

Ed, yes, the sugar substitutes can cause...discomfort. I think I have pretty much moved away from them except for small uses of them. I could not imagine a pie or cake baked with a substitute either. Actually, I would rather have a small slice of the real thing than a large piece made with sugar substitute. It just isn;t worth it to my test buds! Or I will skip the entire thing.

Val, Atlanta is a great place to live and teach - you are right about that. Marc and I are probably looking more southwest, however. Just for a change. And we are also looking at states that do not charge income tax to seniors! A few places are on our radar. Then again...so much changes so quickly these days...I can dream of warmer weather, but we have to wait to make a change.

Roger, I was also surprised that NC was on that list. That was one of our earlier options - until we decide to look elsewhere. I had heard it was great for retiring to - live and learn!

Stay warm and keep moving today folks. Will see you tomorrow,
    Lee-Ann
  • GardenKatGardens
    Well rats!
    I typed my hello, and apparently didn't post...cuz its gone.
    Ok, synopsis:
    light rain, 45 degree high and slowly declining all day long.
    Breakfast eaten...evaluation....swiss chard is better eaten fresh cooked, and not refrigerated overnight.
    Hockey morning...will dress warmly it will be cold in the rink today.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's soggy Sunday! High today of 45 with 100% chance of rain. It's wet out there now and we're glad!

Leftover meatloaf for breakfast. Always a pleasure! A small packet of turkey is thawed, which will probably be made into quick turkey salad for a sandwich snack later, leaving a small portion for the sugar gliders to eat tonight.

There is still half the meatloaf left, but it WILL be eaten. Some of that may make a sandwich too. I love cold meatloaf in a sandwich.

J has some left over Thai basil fried rice and most of the cheesy rice and chili bean casserole I made the other night for him, so Eduardo doesn't have a lot to do today. Eddie does. Probably laundry and some light house work.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    Out the door today it was showing 41 degrees 1 degree cooler than yesterday, however the breeze has dies down so it was more comfortable. I have walked 7.8K steps so far. After walking up to the bank yesterday and some light yard work, I ended the day at 12,943 steps so I walked back and forth in the bedroom before retiring to be over 13,000 steps :)

While walking today one I finished one of Old Time Radio Shows I have been listening to the remainder of, the December 25, 1943 episode of command performance as linked yesterday and listened to Dinah Shore, Bob Hope, Jack Benny , Fred Allen and more. Then I listened to the Christmas shows from Nick Carter & Henry Morgan.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Heh. That's why I had just a small sliver of the pie. J can eat the rest because, like any really good pecan pie, it's mostly SUGAR and SYRUP. I have, in the past, made a no-sugar-added pecan pie that tasted fine, but the maltitol syrup base doesn't really agree with me in the quantity eaten in a decent sized slice of pie. Even if I use the sugar free pancake syrup for pancakes I don't use anywhere near the quarter cup serving size, adding instead just a teensy drizzle to get a little tiny bit of maple syrup flavor on my pancakes. Probably might as well use real syrup for the amount I eat.

Well, off to bed.

G'nite all!
    Hi Ed
    I have been using Truvia Sweetener packets on (in?) my cereal as they were inexpensive at CostCo and I find that they work well. I do get some gassiness from Sugar Alcohols as used in the NS Desserts and Snacks OTOH I can handle it since that is the only symptom.

I tried some sugar free pancake syrup and ended up throwing much of it away it was not that tasty. I agree if You are only going to use a little bit why not just use the real thing. I ended up eating them plain, No syrup or Butter or ICBINB.

Cheers
    Roger
    Good Morning Folks,

Ed, yes, the sugar substitutes can cause...discomfort. I think I have pretty much moved away from them except for small uses of them. I could not imagine a pie or cake baked with a substitute either. Actually, I would rather have a small slice of the real thing than a large piece made with sugar substitute. It just isn't worth it to my test buds! Or I will skip the entire thing.

Val, Atlanta is a great place to live and teach - you are right about that. Marc and I are probably looking more southwest, however. Just for a change. And we are also looking at states that do not charge income tax to seniors! A few places are on our radar. Then again...so much changes so quickly these days...I can dream of warmer weather, but we have to wait to make a change.

Roger, I was also surprised that NC was on that list. That was one of our earlier options - until we decide to look elsewhere. I had heard it was great for retiring to - live and learn!

Stay warm and keep moving today folks. Will see you tomorrow,
    Lee-Ann
    Hi Lee-Ann
    I can imagine using the Truvia in baking as it tastes fine as if it were sugar to me. However Ny brother would never do that so I do not even suggest it :)

My brother and I discussed moving out of NJ, A non starter to me currently as I can not imagine moving with all the dislocation and disruption as well as having to find all new everything.

I plan to stay warm, Thanks
    Roger
    Well rats!
    I typed my hello, and apparently didn't post...cuz its gone.
    Ok, synopsis:
    light rain, 45 degree high and slowly declining all day long.
    Breakfast eaten...evaluation....swiss chard is better eaten fresh cooked, and not refrigerated overnight.
    Hockey morning...will dress warmly it will be cold in the rink today.

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I hate it when I do that :)

Live and learn, Swiss Chard is not good reheated, Thanks for the warning.

Stay Dry
    Roger