Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited December 2016
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

High of only 47 expected today, with zero percent chance of rain.

Leftover spicy barbecue dark meat turkey and baked beans for breakfast. One more meal of that left, and that will be the end of the dark meat turkey.

I believe I have one small packet of white meat turkey left, some frozen chunks of celery (waiting for a pot roast) and some of the cranberry relish left. And that's it for Thanksgiving food. I'm doing pretty good at eating it all up, over a relatively short time period.

The meat manager at Kroger (who is a friend of mine) pointed out the hams on sale through the 24th so I've already got my EASTER ham now. My Christmas ham was purchased along with its free turkey, before Thanksgiving. It's in the bottom of the fridge, waiting. The package says it's spiral sliced but honestly, I can't see any evidence of that. I guess I'll find out when I open it to warm and glaze it on Christmas. As I hate to waste the glaze packet they sent with it, Eduardo will probably use that and add some ginger and maybe mustard and black pepper to jazz it up a bit.

Eddie did get to the store yesterday, and did some bathroom cleaning too, as well as changing the sheets in the master bedroom, after assuring that Ariel was asleep on the sofa, in the living room, down the hall, and wouldn't be helping.

Here's how well that went...

20161207_093917_zpsyo0uqc8u.jpg

And then when going out to check on mail, I saw a very late flower in the sidewalk flower bed!

20161207_163311_zpsryjp1nvm.jpg
    Hi Ed
    I still have several packets of Turkey Breast in the freezer and I thawed one overnight in the refrigerator for today and tomorrows mid-morning PF +SC. I am undecided whether to use it on the wrap with Mayo/Miracle Whip or Sweet Baby Rays or do two of the three.

If You like the glaze packet they include I would not call it wasted to use it, OTOH if You like Yours better...
    Hopefully The Grocery Store will have Hams on sale for our Christmas Dinner too.

Cats :)

Interesting and nice looking flower. As You can see we are headed in colder weather, The coldest of the season so far too, Then later next week they are predicting somewhat colder :(
    All I have left for flowers from the yard is the hanging basket we planted with Geraniums and that because it is on the closed in front porch sheltered.
    mC4UJC.jpg

Seen in the Grocery Store "Tide Chuyen Dung"
    T39yS0.jpg

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Good Morning,
    Roger - thanks for the laugh! I hit the NJ Turnpike at least once a week for 1 1/2 hours...and you are probably right about all the rules!
    Ed, glad to see how Ariel was helping with the bed making.
    Va - good morning to you. Hope all is well for you in Atl.
    Take care all...time to do some work before I get too distracted!
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    I was sent them by the person we had a Thai Lunch recently, I figured share the laughs.

Stay Warm its going to get chilly outside :)
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Thursday Morning. Bit chilly and windy here in 'hot' Lanta!
    Ed, glad to see you had a fool proof plan for making the bed! LOL!!! I don't think they actually sleep...I think they turn on their super gps monitoring system, and just close their eyes...waiting....just waiting!!! Loved the little daisy! Talk about the 'last flower of summer' :)

Going to have a look at the weather forecast in a minute...need to gas the car, so will pick the sunniest warmest day that I can...:) I should have yesterday, but by the time I finished all my running around, I had an email from Jack saying he'd be calling an hour early...so there went my time slot!

Roger, how is NJ today...yep, all of it...LOL!

Lee-Ann all is well in Atlanta. No ice storms, no riots or sit-ins, and no rain.
    My orders for the holiday are arriving day by day...should all be here soon, and then I need to set aside a 'rapping day'..wait! What?...I don't even like rap...don't really care for 'wrap day' either, but gotta do it!

Will have to open the next email from Coursera. I'm ready to put my brain back to work. Its been a lovely holiday 2 month break.. :)

Ok, that's about it...heading to the kitchen and cook SOMETHING...I can't decide if I want the usual greens, or oatmeal. Guess its time to stand in front of the open refrigerator. :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    On the bright side You did get all Your running around finished.

Oatmeal sounds good to me with our chilly weather, However cold cereal it is since I want to use the milk I opened up before it goes bad, Frugal person that I am, OK, cheap person TBH :)

I should actually get out with the car for gas too, It is at the 1/2 full mark and that is where I like to fuel it up.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hello!
    Nate's concert was a lot of fun... he, for what ever reason, nobody knows, decided to play trombone. The music teacher was a hoot. He made the show. Man must have the patience of Jobe, and the nerves of steel, as well as a healthy sense of humor!

Dinner was baked potato, gravy, and topped with corn! Ready from scratch in exactly 12 minutes! Maybe Oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast while I'm trying to warm up. :)

I left for the concert, got about a mile from home, realized I didn't have my cell phone, turned around and went back to get it....and as I was ready to leave again, set the house alarm, opened the door, and Tom E. Cat dashed into the house. I didn't have time to chase him around, so I closed the door and said 'good luck Tom...you have no food and no water, see ya when I get home! Needless to say he was happy to see me when I reappeared 4 hours later! He wanted to eat immediately. and then was more than happy to remind me of his evening treat...and then was quite happy to exit the house.

Ok, time for this old geezer to be heading toward bed...need to really 'dig' to come up with a Scrabble word tonite. I have 4 yep, four, 'O's in my tile rack...going to be challenging. There were two consonance, I and I believe an 'i'....good luck to me!

Later...
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Hi Folks,

Val, great name for setting time to put the gifts together - a "rap party." I never heard that expression before. I guess depending on how it is done, it can be fun...or a chore!

Roger, I am impressed with all your walking in the cold. I am in hibernation. I go out if absolutely necessary - but that is pretty much it. In warm weather I live outside. Cold? Well...I can't wait for another few years and I can move to someplace warm.

Ed, how are Eddie, Eduardo and the rest doing today? Taking care of you?

I got major work finished yesterday - yeah! - so I just need to keep moving. The semester is over next week, and, fortunately, I am pretty caught up in my grading. Just some little stuff remaining. I know it makes students anxious not to have this!

Take care all,
    Lee-Ann
  • RogerToo
    edited December 2016
    Hi
    Out the door it was showing 32 degrees, It was less comfortable than yesterday too due to the wind chill. I have walked 7,264 steps as of 8AM. Yesterday I was at 13,567 by 5PM :) so If I miss a few steps today I am not going to worry about it.

Colder weather is moving in with forecast overnight lows in the 20s for Saturday, breezy and daytime highs in the 30s :(. I am also thinking of stopping for a breakfast on Saturday of a couple of Scrambled Eggs and Dry toast as much to warm up as to have breakfast. I did not stop today, as tomorrow is supposed to be colder.

The Mechanic did give an OK on the pickup truck and it still needs to have four tires put on it which we could tell looking at it. At 80K miles and a lot less money than a newer one with twice the mileage he decided on to grab it. Has has been looking for a Ford P/U with room behind the seat for groceries so this on will work nicely. His 99 Taurus needs replacing despite still running good due to our mechanic saying You need to replace it due to all the rust. The same reason I had to replace my Pontiac FWIW.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,227 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's 27 degrees out there now, and high today is expected to be 43, with zero percent chance of rain.

Eddie got a bit domestic again yesterday and did more house cleaning. Still waiting on the floors though...

Eduardo pretty much took the day off. I have ONE meal left of the turkey barbecue and baked beans. Probably lunch today, and if not, then definitely dinner tonight.

Not much turkey left now! I think just one small packet of light meat.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    Hello!
    Nate's concert was a lot of fun... he, for what ever reason, nobody knows, decided to play trombone. The music teacher was a hoot. He made the show. Man must have the patience of Jobe, and the nerves of steel, as well as a healthy sense of humor!

Dinner was baked potato, gravy, and topped with corn! Ready from scratch in exactly 12 minutes! Maybe Oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast while I'm trying to warm up. :)

I left for the concert, got about a mile from home, realized I didn't have my cell phone, turned around and went back to get it....and as I was ready to leave again, set the house alarm, opened the door, and Tom E. Cat dashed into the house. I didn't have time to chase him around, so I closed the door and said 'good luck Tom...you have no food and no water, see ya when I get home! Needless to say he was happy to see me when I reappeared 4 hours later! He wanted to eat immediately. and then was more than happy to remind me of his evening treat...and then was quite happy to exit the house.

Ok, time for this old geezer to be heading toward bed...need to really 'dig' to come up with a Scrabble word tonite. I have 4 yep, four, 'O's in my tile rack...going to be challenging. There were two consonance, I and I believe an 'i'....good luck to me!

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I'm glad the concert was fun, Trombone is a nice instrument IMO.

I have done that sort of thing where I was headed down the street on my walk and had to return to the house for something I forgot too :)

I suppose You might think of it as cheating, OTOH, Scrabble Helper, Scrabble Word Builder
    http://www.wineverygame.com/
    Putting 4 O's into it gave a list of words :)

Good Luck
    Roger
    Hi Folks,

Val, great name for setting time to put the gifts together - a "rap party." I never heard that expression before. I guess depending on how it is done, it can be fun...or a chore!

Roger, I am impressed with all your walking in the cold. I am in hibernation. I go out if absolutely necessary - but that is pretty much it. In warm weather I live outside. Cold? Well...I can't wait for another few years and I can move to someplace warm.

Ed, how are Eddie, Eduardo and the rest doing today? Taking care of you?

I got major work finished yesterday - yeah! - so I just need to keep moving. The semester is over next week, and, fortunately, I am pretty caught up in my grading. Just some little stuff remaining. I know it makes students anxious not to have this!

Take care all,
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    I manage to stay more or less comfortable. Today I wore a sweat shirt, Thick Hoodie and over that the jacket from my Frogg Toggs as a wind breaker and I turned on the electric hand warmer before I left the house. The hardest part in this type of weather is the Thumbs get cold in the mittens. I need to one to hold the Yeti Coffee cup and the other to hold my Walking stick. The Yeti works almost to well, I add a touch of ice before I put the coffee in so it is not to hot to start drinking right away and it holds the heat until I am back home. I find that using it I do not rush the coffee drinking to get it drunk before it gets cold. The Foam Coffee cups from Dunkin Donut do not do as good a job. The only warm part on the Yeti is the Lip of it and I figured out that was due to where the Inside metal is conducting the heat to the outside metal. Other than that the Stainless steel stays at outside temperature showing that the Vacuum as insulation is working well.

Congratulations on getting the major work finished, I suspect You are waiting impatiently for the semester to be over too.

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's 27 degrees out there now, and high today is expected to be 43, with zero percent chance of rain.

Eddie got a bit domestic again yesterday and did more house cleaning. Still waiting on the floors though...

Eduardo pretty much took the day off. I have ONE meal left of the turkey barbecue and baked beans. Probably lunch today, and if not, then definitely dinner tonight.

Not much turkey left now! I think just one small packet of light meat.
    Hi Ed
    I suspect I use less Turkey per day than You or maybe it I started with a bigger Turkey :)

Your Overnight sounds unusual for Your area for this time of year to me. Being lower than ours today, However I think Your high is better than Ours here.

Stay Warm
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    edited December 2016
    Good Morning! TGIF!
    Ducking in here before I really start my day. My breakfast was oatmeal, with blueberries and cinnamon, I also cooked one last Ambrosia apple, that I'd just chunked, with water and a tad of cinnamon..Used the water from the apples (after it had cooked down a bit) to add sweetness to the oatmeal, and I heated the last 3 pieces of baked tofu. The coup de grace was the brilliant idea I had. (those don't come often in my decade)...I have a pint container of Coconut Milk, no added sugar in the freezer...so a small scoop of that on top of the hot oatmeal was like magic! Melted a bit, and was as if I'd added a bit of cream! Ding Ding Ding Instant WINNER! :)

Tom E looked so sweet this morning, he was sitting all fluffed out on the porch swing, in the sun napping. He came dashing in, ate, and went to that new bed I'd gotten him on Wednesday and after making several circles and adjustments, settled for a bit. Then here he came begging. So we had our morning rock....wait! WHAT? Oh I hope that won't become a morning 'thing'. An hour long rocking and petting and now more? Cat is needy. But, was glad he likes his bed. Much better than him being on my couch! He is not very interested in going outside. I can't say I blame him. 27 degrees is not fun.

Roger I liked your evaluation of your Yeti Mug. I may have to look for one. Coffee or hot tea is a must for hockey games!

Yep, discussed this with the cat this morning...'Rap Party' coming next week. Have some prepping to do. Also a couple 'craft-ish' things I'd like to do....one real cute 'rap' idea with some winter greens and a personally made, air dried clay medallions, with imprinted names instead of name tags. They're cute, if I can actually pull it off! and with a whole week, surely the old dusty, rusty craft gene can be revived?

Later...
    (gotta move, some weird cat thinks I want to rock with him again...nope, not yet)

• Leemom3
    Hi All,

Val, the personally imprinted clay medallion name tags sounds really cute - and something folks would appreciate on a gift. Are you creating this on your own or using some kind of kit? That might be fun for me to do for Hanukah gifts.

Roger, thanks for the explanation of keeping warm in the frigid cold. I go through cycles of when I am willing ti face the bitter outdoors...and when I am not. I think I am in a "not" cycle right now - although I really should do better about trying to get outside.

Ed, I cooked a roast chicken last night and now have some leftovers. Maybe I can try some of your turkey ideas on that. I could use the creativity here.

Take care all,
    Lee-Ann
  • GardenKatGardens
    I just lost a whole explanation to Lee-Ann about the clay gift tags, and a bunch of other stuff. Not going there again, right now...later today. GRRRRRRRRR.
    Its a Hockey morning, and I'd best be in the shower, now!! :)
    (Remind me to NEVER ever ever use the "Preview" button again. Period.)

:) Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    Out the door it was showing 26 degrees, It was semi-comfortable. The forecast breeze has not shown up yet. I have walked 7.9K steps. The forecast for Sunday and Monday is not looking that good either.

A message just popped up that says
    A restart is required to finish installing the following updates:
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3201845).
    and that
    Your device is scheduled to restart outside of active hours. (Active hours are ‏‎8:00 AM to ‏‎5:00 PM.)
    Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning! TGIF!
    Ducking in here before I really start my day. My breakfast was oatmeal, with blueberries and cinnamon, I also cooked one last Ambrosia apple, that I'd just chunked, with water and a tad of cinnamon..Used the water from the apples (after it had cooked down a bit) to add sweetness to the oatmeal, and I heated the last 3 pieces of baked tofu. The coup de grace was the brilliant idea I had. (those don't come often in my decade)...I have a pint container of Coconut Milk, no added sugar in the freezer...so a small scoop of that on top of the hot oatmeal was like magic! Melted a bit, and was as if I'd added a bit of cream! Ding Ding Ding Instant WINNER! :)

Tom E looked so sweet this morning, he was sitting all fluffed out on the porch swing, in the sun napping. He came dashing in, ate, and went to that new bed I'd gotten him on Wednesday and after making several circles and adjustments, settled for a bit. Then here he came begging. So we had our morning rock....wait! WHAT? Oh I hope that won't become a morning 'thing'. An hour long rocking and petting and now more? Cat is needy. But, was glad he likes his bed. Much better than him being on my couch! He is not very interested in going outside. I can't say I blame him. 27 degrees is not fun.

Roger I liked your evaluation of your Yeti Mug. I may have to look for one. Coffee or hot tea is a must for hockey games!

Yep, discussed this with the cat this morning...'Rap Party' coming next week. Have some prepping to do. Also a couple 'craft-ish' things I'd like to do....one real cute 'rap' idea with some winter greens and a personally made, air dried clay medallions, with imprinted names instead of name tags. They're cute, if I can actually pull it off! and with a whole week, surely the old dusty, rusty craft gene can be revived?

Later...
    (gotta move, some weird cat thinks I want to rock with him again...nope, not yet)
    Hi Valerie
    One thing about the Yeti Mugs, They are not cheap!

Interesting, Coconut milk on the oatmeal does sound delicious.

Good Luck with the Craft Skills
    Roger
    I just lost a whole explanation to Lee-Ann about the clay gift tags, and a bunch of other stuff. Not going there again, right now...later today. GRRRRRRRRR.
    Its a Hockey morning, and I'd best be in the shower, now!! :)
    (Remind me to NEVER ever ever use the "Preview" button again. Period.)

:) Later...

Sadly I have killed posts that way too. Now every post I look for the gear symbol in the upper left of a post where You click to edit it to ensure it is saved :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi All,

Val, the personally imprinted clay medallion name tags sounds really cute - and something folks would appreciate on a gift. Are you creating this on your own or using some kind of kit? That might be fun for me to do for Hanukah gifts.

Roger, thanks for the explanation of keeping warm in the frigid cold. I go through cycles of when I am willing ti face the bitter outdoors...and when I am not. I think I am in a "not" cycle right now - although I really should do better about trying to get outside.

Ed, I cooked a roast chicken last night and now have some leftovers. Maybe I can try some of your turkey ideas on that. I could use the creativity here.

Take care all,
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    I am not good with crafts so I would do something like this
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0ZNDE7/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    or this
    https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Decal-Rambler-Tumbler-Sticker/dp/B01LYF7OA4?ref=hnd_dp_car_mba_4
    FWIW I just found those with a quick search, I am sure there are lower cost options available. I would think they would work on and smooth surface.

I'm just glad I am not where they get air temperatures below zero, if I lived there I would be hibernating over the winter :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    taK8d4.jpg

YDQntk.gif

iuw3y7.jpg

rp1fNZ.jpg

IhoC0U.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! 28 out there now, and only supposed to get to 46 today.

We have the monthly regional orchid judging today, so J and I have to go to do the photography. Being December I doubt there will be a lot of plants, but you never know.

Eduardo found an eye of round roast in the freezer, and thawed it out in the refrigerator, but it will probably not be put into the crock pot until tomorrow morning. We ordered in Chinese last night and didn't eat much of it so need to work on that today.

Meanwhile, here's a collection of Christmas cat videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNfGVE-_rms
  • Leemom3
    Roger, thanks for the humorous photo with the flossers. I have only been trying to prevent/remove plaque. I will have to keep an eye out for the plague too!

Val - don't you hate when you write a really long post...and it gets lost somewhere? Not to worry about the gift tag idea. I am sure I can do a search and come up with something. I am trying to be more personalized with the nieces' and nephews' gifts this year...and I have no imagination!

Ed, are the temps staying that cold for awhile? I thought it would be warmer where you are. Although...I keep hearing that the country is going into a deep freeze - I am not ready for that!

Take care all,
    Lee-Ann
  • RogerToo
    Hi Lee-Ann
    I always say a laugh a day :)

Are You ready for the Snow in the forecast ?
    Hopefully You get to stay home for Monday morning.

I am not feeling happy with the cold weather as is.
    I used up the charge in the rechargeable hand warmer I used yesterday while walking and I have it plugged into the USB hub charging and I that made me happy I did get two of them as it died part way into today's walk which is when I turned on the second one I had with me. Part of that was my fault as I managed to turn it on at the high setting which uses up the battery faster.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2016
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday!

It's 39 out there right now, but only supposed to get down to 40 tonight! This is a slight warming trend, but we did have two nights in the 20s.

I've been up for hours but distracted by the usuals...and Eduardo decided to go in the kitchen and play with food. Eduardo just tossed together something a little different for a pot roast. Carrots on the bottom with celery, onion and potatoes on the sides, eye of round roast in the middle, and a mixture of one can of cream of mushroom soup, a packet of onion soup and dip mix, and about 5 ounces of Marsala wine (NOT that Marsala cooking wine from the grocery!), poured over it all. Minimal salt and pepper on the veggies, and a generous sprinkle of rosemary and smoked paprika on top. We shall see how it all tastes this evening. Here's what it looks like NOW.

20161211_101041_zpsdada5b5i.jpg

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...