Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Sunday morning!
    Noise today, sounded like from the kitchen...can't figure out what the heck it was. Sounded like a stack of pots and pans fell over, but I opened the cupboard, and nope. It freaked Tom E. out! He looked for the world like he was going to run!

Just for now, I wish these marvels of the day could include smells! Cuz that pot roast of Eduardo's is going to smell terrific! Meanwhile as a reality check, I need Eduardo to come get my kitchen in order. Its a mess, and I'm eating my 'brunch' and then need to leave for a baby shower.

Roger, glad you had your spare battery with you for the mittens!

Rain tomorrow. Needed badly but its also going to be 60 degrees, which would feel delightful if it was dry and sunny! I will be traveling GA tomorrow...Chiro in the morning..thats south, and O's choral concert tonite...north Gwinnett. Will probably come near 100 miles by the time I get home tonite. And will I be happy to see my little bed! LOL! Tom E, may or may not get his nightly rocking and bonding session. :)

Lee-Ann, I got my clay yesterday...I'm determined to make these gift TAGS! I am not convinced that I got the correct clay...I should know by Tuesday! (Rog, I think you misunderstood...not the gift I'm putting this on...but the gift outside wrapping. )
    And 'rap party' just came to me as I was typing...I don't think I've ever heard it either...sorta a play on words???

Later...

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,227 Member
    Good Sunday morning!
    Noise today, sounded like from the kitchen...can't figure out what the heck it was. Sounded like a stack of pots and pans fell over, but I opened the cupboard, and nope. It freaked Tom E. out! He looked for the world like he was going to run!

Just for now, I wish these marvels of the day could include smells! Cuz that pot roast of Eduardo's is going to smell terrific! Meanwhile as a reality check, I need Eduardo to come get my kitchen in order. Its a mess, and I'm eating my 'brunch' and then need to leave for a baby shower.

You'll find the crash when you least expect it. Is there an attic over the kitchen? Look in ALL the cabinets, and the laundry room, if adjoining...Might have been the spirit of cats past!

As for the smells...THREE hours in and FIVE hours to go and it's smelling divine. Eddie is DEFINITELY getting out of the house for a while to do some grocery shopping. And then maybe I'll take a nap.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2016
    And...here is the final result! A delicious, tender, slow cooked eye of round roast with carrots, potato (half a medium large potato), celery, and a quarter onion, cooked in the gravy, all with a little bit of mushroom, onion, and Marsala wine gravy. It came out DELICIOUS! At the end all I had to do was remove the meat (to stand for 15 minutes) and vegetables and thicken the gravy with some cornstarch mixed with cold water, and EAT. Served with some Charles Shaw (Three Buck Chuck) Nouveau wine.

20161211_182143_zpsjqrx23bg.jpg

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    Looks Wonderful Ed. Hats off to Eduardo! :)
  • parityanimal
    Looks Wonderful Ed. Hats off to Eduardo! :)

Eduardo invented a good one! I should give him/me a bonus! Maybe an extra glass of wine...

And really, it started just because there wasn't one of the "usual" ingredients for pot roast in the cupboard...so Eduardo, instead of being mad and sending Eddie rushing off to Publix to get it, just said, "Yay! I get to play!" and proceeded to do so...and created something delightful. And, incidentally, finished off the last of the leftover Thanksgiving celery from the deep freeze...

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's magnificent Monday! High of 58 predicted for today with 50% chance of rain. We have the local Atlanta Orchid Society Christmas dinner and orchid auction tonight, so it will be a busy one. I have to make a casserole and get a bit more drinks to bring. And maybe buy some ice as that always seems to be forgotten...

Been up for about an hour, fed Lilo, fed me, and I can tell you leftovers from last night's dinner made a lovely breakfast. At least two more meals from that and then perhaps a couple of roast beef sandwiches, perhaps open face hot beef sandwiches with gravy, as I think there's still going to be gravy left for that.

I've used Marsala with poultry and pork often, but this was the first time using it with beef. I had happened to see a recipe online that used it for a beef roast and decided I could give it a try, when it was realized that one of my "regular" ingredients was missing. That use of Marsala was the only thing from that recipe that Eduardo snatched though! LOL! The rest of it was composed on the fly.

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    Out the door it was showing 36 degrees, Starting at some point in the evening there was Snow falling that ended up at some point in the overnight hours becoming a steady rain. The rain appears to have ended now that I have returned :) I have walked 10.6K steps. Yesterday after getting back out to a local farm stand and a Kings supermarket to look around I was over 11K steps by noon.

I have just finished adjusting the overall level on some Old Time Radio Christmas Shows and synchronizing them with my iPod so I have more to listen to tomorrow.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Sunday morning!

Roger, glad you had your spare battery with you for the mittens!

Rain tomorrow. Needed badly but its also going to be 60 degrees, which would feel delightful if it was dry and sunny! I will be traveling GA tomorrow...Chiro in the morning..thats south, and O's choral concert tonite...north Gwinnett. Will probably come near 100 miles by the time I get home tonite. And will I be happy to see my little bed! LOL! Tom E, may or may not get his nightly rocking and bonding session. :)

Lee-Ann, I got my clay yesterday...I'm determined to make these gift TAGS! I am not convinced that I got the correct clay...I should know by Tuesday! (Rog, I think you misunderstood...not the gift I'm putting this on...but the gift outside wrapping. )
    And 'rap party' just came to me as I was typing...I don't think I've ever heard it either...sorta a play on words???

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I agree with Ed You will find the cause of the crash after You stop looking for it based on past experiences here :)

Actually not a spare battery what I have is a second Electric hand warmer, I drop them into the mittens. I suspect I should investigate electric Mittens as what happens is the Thumb gets cold even with the hand warmer(s).

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday!

It's 39 out there right now, but only supposed to get down to 40 tonight! This is a slight warming trend, but we did have two nights in the 20s.

I've been up for hours but distracted by the usuals...and Eduardo decided to go in the kitchen and play with food. Eduardo just tossed together something a little different for a pot roast. Carrots on the bottom with celery, onion and potatoes on the sides, eye of round roast in the middle, and a mixture of one can of cream of mushroom soup, a packet of onion soup and dip mix, and about 5 ounces of Marsala wine (NOT that Marsala cooking wine from the grocery!), poured over it all. Minimal salt and pepper on the veggies, and a generous sprinkle of rosemary and smoked paprika on top. We shall see how it all tastes this evening. Here's what it looks like NOW.
    Hi Ed
    That looks delicious, At first glance before reading the description I thought the Potatoes were Stuffed Cabbage, I was way off :)
    And...here is the final result! A delicious, tender, slow cooked eye of round roast with carrots, potato (half a medium large potato), celery, and a quarter onion, cooked in the gravy, all with a little bit of mushroom, onion, and Marsala wine gravy. It came out DELICIOUS! At the end all I had to do was remove the meat (to stand for 15 minutes) and vegetables and thicken the gravy with some cornstarch mixed with cold water, and EAT. Served with some Charles Shaw (Three Buck Chuck) Nouveau wine.
    That end result looks so Tasty that my mouth is watering.
    My Brother likes the Three Buck Chuck too :)
    Howdy y'all. It's magnificent Monday! High of 58 predicted for today with 50% chance of rain. We have the local Atlanta Orchid Society Christmas dinner and orchid auction tonight, so it will be a busy one. I have to make a casserole and get a bit more drinks to bring. And maybe buy some ice as that always seems to be forgotten...

Been up for about an hour, fed Lilo, fed me, and I can tell you leftovers from last night's dinner made a lovely breakfast. At least two more meals from that and then perhaps a couple of roast beef sandwiches, perhaps open face hot beef sandwiches with gravy, as I think there's still going to be gravy left for that.

I've used Marsala with poultry and pork often, but this was the first time using it with beef. I had happened to see a recipe online that used it for a beef roast and decided I could give it a try, when it was realized that one of my "regular" ingredients was missing. That use of Marsala was the only thing from that recipe that Eduardo snatched though! LOL! The rest of it was composed on the fly.
    I should be so lucky as to have temperatures like that. They are forecasting a high of 50 today, I find that hard to believe as cloudy as it is :)

Enjoy the Orchid auction.

FWIW I would have never thought of using Marsala with beef either.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    The party was good. What was left of the Fettuccine Eduardo that I brought...

20161212_210228_zps1md5gott.jpg

• RogerToo
    edited December 2016
    Hi
    Out the door it was showing 32 degrees and 8.6K steps and once again no money, I was just over 13K steps by bedtime yesterday. Colder weather ahead in the weather forecast. They are predicting a overnight low of 9 degrees and a high of 22 degrees for Friday as the arctic air moves in for three days heading into the weekend :(

I set the Yeti cup down with my hot coffee on a Wooden surface that had frost while I was walking. Talk about insulated when I picked it up You could not see any melting.

I am trying to adjust my upcoming order, the one that closes on the 23rd and the NS website is really slow this morning. I just tried a reload worked and that worked better. I have noticed a couple of new items since my last order FWIW. I just pulled 4 Lunch Bars out of the Basement freezer to use, such as the Strawberry Cheese Crepe & the Caramel Apple Muffin Breakfast, the Zesty Pizza Snack-a-Rounds & Pumpkin Loaf snacks + the Garlic Parmesan Snack-A-Rounds, The Fiesta Macaroni and Cheese and the Spicy Garlic Chicken Dinner.
    I am changing it to close tonight so I can try these new foods :)

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2016
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! I've been up for a while but distracted by the usual stuff.

High of 52 expected today with 60% chance of rain. I think a nap is definitely in order here.

NS has a PUMPKIN LOAF??? Sounds yummy. Probably isn't as yummy as it sounds...I liked their carrot cake well enough, though a bit overdone on the cloves and the frosting should have been cream cheese but didn't taste much like that. At least it had some small semblance to REAL carrot cake.

I may have to take a look at the NS site again, though I really don't want to order from them because I'm still mad that they took away the boards and we had to move somewhere else to stay in touch.

More leftover roast and sides for breakfast. One more full meal of that and then there will be enough left for a few slim slices for a an open faced hot roast beast sandwich with gravy!

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Tuesday Morning!
    Rain didn't happen anywhere that I was present yesterday...misty stuff, but no rain. So hopefully today will be better!

I've been up awhile too. Tried to get thru my emails..deleted a bunch unread which is good, then almost finished and I ran into an email from Coursera...(train wreck coming...wait for it..wait) YEP! signed up for another course! You guessed, right?
    This one is learning about the Human Microbiome. Again I am taking it as an audit, no fee class...Just some stuff I want to know about! And then although it doesn't officially begin until Dec 26th, I found the intro, and first weeks video lectures were already available,...so.. Yeah, I've been in 'school' this morning.

Sorry I didn't check in yesterday, but I was tired...ate and went straight to bed.
    Good check in with Chiro...as always...then a quick nap, and on to Olivia's Concert. It was great. I really enjoyed it this year...much more so than last years concerts. All in all a great day...oh, my time in town also included a stop by Whole Foods Midtown. Found several things I wanted. Looked at the Follow Your Heart cheese, and they had a couple I hadn't seen before, but I didn't buy any....I still have cheeses. And I wanted So's Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean 'Ice cream'...but I wanted the sugar free ones...which they did not have. Will look at Publix and Kroger....I know it exists, last 2 tablespoons are in my freezer, waiting for Oatmeal to be cooked.

Ah, Roger I hadn't understood about the heaters in your mittens. I have no ideas about keeping your thumbs warm...if you weren't carrying objects I know what I'd do...but you can't tuck your thumb into the palm of your hand and carry something at the same time. Hope you can get that worked out!

Ed, did you and J attend the Orchid Societies gathering as members, or as photographers, or did you do both? I know that casserole you took was good...surprised there was even a spoonful left!!!

Going to reheat my breakfast of greens with onion, mushrooms, greens (spinach, mustard, and arugula this batch) and beans and quinoa. Is good!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2016
    We went to the local Atlanta Orchid Society as members. J will be president next year. Sometimes we do photograph the local society ribbon judging, but these are just for fun, mostly, and there is another member who normally does the society photography. Meetings are the second Monday of each month. The regional orchid judging is on the second Saturday of each month and these are official American Orchid Society awards and photos.

The leftover noodles will make a couple of meals for me, so I wasn't too bothered that it wasn't all eaten. Very cheesy, slightly spicy (though some thought it was VERY spicy) and topped with a bread crumb Parmesan/Romano gratin.

I ate too much food, but there was SO MUCH there! That's always the case though.

Had the last full meal of roast beast for dinner. Just enough left for that hot roast beast sandwich and then to work on the noodles.

• Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Good Morning All,

Roger, I am glad you are able to enjoy the NS products. For good or for bad, I am with Ed on this. Once NS eliminated their own bulletin boards, I lost my motivation and "oomph" with both weight maintenance and NS. Sometime after that I finally stopped my NS ordering - and a really good price. I tried ordering last year again, but found the price too much, with 10 fewer meals days per month and no protein shales included. And they still don't have the boards. If you have the old price, don't do what I did!

Val, the Coursera classes sound so interesting. The Human Microbiome is no exception. I may send my husband to that website.

Stay warm all. It sounds like we all are getting that "lake effect" cold.

Lee-Ann
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Wednesday Morning!
    Over cast 45 degrees...no rain forecast. I'll live with it. :)
    Its shopping day, and I need to do 3 places.. Costco for my pound of really cheap Organic Spinach, then on to Kroger, for bulk of my needs, and Also need to visit the Mex. Market next to the gym... cilantro, roma tomatoes, those big fat carrots. I feel carrot soup coming on! Last week I bought as in paid for, cilantro at Kroger...but later last Wednesday I wanted to use some cilantro, and couldn't find any...hmmm. Yep, its on my ticket, so where is it? I looked in all the bags, went back to the car, etc. No cilantro anywhere. Ok, so I've paid for it, and somehow it didn't get bagged... Then Sunday I took the bag that had the bottles of sparkling water from its resting spot under the bar, so I could put the bottles into the little drinks refrig....and you KNOW what mass of green gunk was in that bag...UNDER the bottles. I do not like playing hide and seek with my food!

Ed, tell J I said congrats to the new president of our local Orchid Society! I hope its not as big a job as what I envision it to be!!!! :)

Roger and Lee-Ann, stay warm and safe. From what I've seen of the weather in your area, well, lets just say it puts my 40-50 degree range in its place!

FWIW, our rain never really happened Sunday or Monday.

Off to look at the sales adverts, and then get my show on the road.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

Need to clear the sink and head to the grocery. I finished off the roast beast and gravy for breakfast, with a delicious open face hot roast beast sandwich. So I got five hearty meals out of that pot of food. Can't complain about that!

My only "issue" and it's not really one, with using the Marsala wine is that the gravy, while brown, didn't LOOK as rich as it tasted. It didn't look bad, just not as dark and oh, I don't know...beefy? But it tasted great, so that's not really an issue. At a glance, one might have mistaken it for a pork roast when served and had a bit of a shock on tasting to find that it was really beef, but it was an interesting and tasty experiment. Eduardo will likely go back to using mostly red wine (if any) with beef dishes and reserve the Marsala for mostly poultry and pork. But I'll remember that it DOES work with beef and if I think about it a while, I can probably figure out a way to make that gravy look darker and beefier. Maybe a little bit of tomato sauce and some Worcestershire or soy sauce?

Oh heck, Eduardo is already running with that and making up recipe ideas...I'm doomed!

Gotta get Eddie going on clearing the sink.

• RogerToo
    Hi
    Out the door it was showing 35 degrees and I finished with 9.9K steps and once again no money, I was just over 11.5K steps by bedtime yesterday. Today's walk was OK for the first 2/3rd of it then I started feeling the cold, Tomorrow I may start out and pick up my Coffee and Boomerang back home depending on the Wind Chill, I want to finish my steps tomorrow as I suspect that Friday I may or may not leave the house. Colder weather is ahead in the weather forecast, Tomorrow is a transitional day with colder temperatures, unfortunately the description for Thursday & Friday is breezy with significant wind chills . They are predicting a overnight low of 9 degrees and a high of 22 degrees for Friday as the arctic air moves in for three days heading into the weekend :(

I see that my order processed last night. Hopefully it will ship soon so that I can try the new foods :)

I have been using the hand warmers for a while :) The Good, they help, the bad I still get cold Thumbs even with the Mittens. If I had my hands free then I could put the Thumbs with the Fingers and they would all be warm, however since I have things in both hands until I finish the coffee and free up one hand I just stop at a convenient perch and sit for a minute warming my fingers. Therefore I did order rechargeable heated Gloves :)

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! I've been up for a while but distracted by the usual stuff.

High of 52 expected today with 60% chance of rain. I think a nap is definitely in order here.

NS has a PUMPKIN LOAF??? Sounds yummy. Probably isn't as yummy as it sounds...I liked their carrot cake well enough, though a bit overdone on the cloves and the frosting should have been cream cheese but didn't taste much like that. At least it had some small semblance to REAL carrot cake.

I may have to take a look at the NS site again, though I really don't want to order from them because I'm still mad that they took away the boards and we had to move somewhere else to stay in touch.

More leftover roast and sides for breakfast. One more full meal of that and then there will be enough left for a few slim slices for a an open faced hot roast beast sandwich with gravy!
    Hi Ed
    I agree with your critique of the NS Carrot cake, The frosting does not deserve to be called Cream Cheese frosting :)
    It is a fixable issue however, Scrape of theirs and add real Cream Cheese Frosting. However that would kill the calorie count not in a good way except that since the portion size would be controlled it should still end up lower than a slice of Carrot Cake for elsewhere.

I seem to recall that they had the Pumpkin loaf before as a seasonal item, OTOH I could be wrong. The same thing with the Caramel Apple Muffin Breakfast.

I did change the ship date so that my order processed last night, hopefully I will see one or both types this week to taste test. I have high hopes for the new foods, hopefully they are not as disappointing as the reformulated Shelf Stable Meatloaf and Potatoes were. There they changed the Tomato sauce to a Brown gravy and it was still nasty since they still put the meatloaf on top of the potatoes and added the gravy. Or else I guess it could be the meatloaf patty that is poor tasting too.

I was unhappy that they dropped the forums too, however the product still works so I am still here using it.

A open faced hot roast beast sandwich with gravy sounds delicious too, You are some creative cook.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Tuesday Morning!
    Rain didn't happen anywhere that I was present yesterday...misty stuff, but no rain. So hopefully today will be better!

I've been up awhile too. Tried to get thru my emails..deleted a bunch unread which is good, then almost finished and I ran into an email from Coursera...(train wreck coming...wait for it..wait) YEP! signed up for another course! You guessed, right?
    This one is learning about the Human Microbiome. Again I am taking it as an audit, no fee class...Just some stuff I want to know about! And then although it doesn't officially begin until Dec 26th, I found the intro, and first weeks video lectures were already available,...so.. Yeah, I've been in 'school' this morning.

Sorry I didn't check in yesterday, but I was tired...ate and went straight to bed.
    Good check in with Chiro...as always...then a quick nap, and on to Olivia's Concert. It was great. I really enjoyed it this year...much more so than last years concerts. All in all a great day...oh, my time in town also included a stop by Whole Foods Midtown. Found several things I wanted. Looked at the Follow Your Heart cheese, and they had a couple I hadn't seen before, but I didn't buy any....I still have cheeses. And I wanted So's Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean 'Ice cream'...but I wanted the sugar free ones...which they did not have. Will look at Publix and Kroger....I know it exists, last 2 tablespoons are in my freezer, waiting for Oatmeal to be cooked.

Ah, Roger I hadn't understood about the heaters in your mittens. I have no ideas about keeping your thumbs warm...if you weren't carrying objects I know what I'd do...but you can't tuck your thumb into the palm of your hand and carry something at the same time. Hope you can get that worked out!

Ed, did you and J attend the Orchid Societies gathering as members, or as photographers, or did you do both? I know that casserole you took was good...surprised there was even a spoonful left!!!

Going to reheat my breakfast of greens with onion, mushrooms, greens (spinach, mustard, and arugula this batch) and beans and quinoa. Is good!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I need to weed my Emails too. Sooner or later I may even do it :)

It sounds as if You had a busy day too.
    Good Wednesday Morning!
    Over cast 45 degrees...no rain forecast. I'll live with it. :)
    Its shopping day, and I need to do 3 places.. Costco for my pound of really cheap Organic Spinach, then on to Kroger, for bulk of my needs, and Also need to visit the Mex. Market next to the gym... cilantro, roma tomatoes, those big fat carrots. I feel carrot soup coming on! Last week I bought as in paid for, cilantro at Kroger...but later last Wednesday I wanted to use some cilantro, and couldn't find any...hmmm. Yep, its on my ticket, so where is it? I looked in all the bags, went back to the car, etc. No cilantro anywhere. Ok, so I've paid for it, and somehow it didn't get bagged... Then Sunday I took the bag that had the bottles of sparkling water from its resting spot under the bar, so I could put the bottles into the little drinks refrig....and you KNOW what mass of green gunk was in that bag...UNDER the bottles. I do not like playing hide and seek with my food!

Ed, tell J I said congrats to the new president of our local Orchid Society! I hope its not as big a job as what I envision it to be!!!! :)

Roger and Lee-Ann, stay warm and safe. From what I've seen of the weather in your area, well, lets just say it puts my 40-50 degree range in its place!

FWIW, our rain never really happened Sunday or Monday.

Off to look at the sales adverts, and then get my show on the road.

Later...

HI Again
    Need to go to CostCo next week, Although I have a lot of Citrus much of it courtesy of my brother who found a large package of small oranges of some type on clearance for $1.02, Weird Amount of $, with only two apples left from my last visit. I am also down to the last bag of Frozen Vegetables.

I am guessing the Cilantro was a loss :)

My Brother and I have both done that luckily only with foods that would not spoil, so far...

Sorry to hear that the rain stayed away, I know You need it :(
    Roger