Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Roger! The burger tower....looking at all the hamburger, bacon, and cheese I'm guessing calories would be the least of your problems! Probably enough fat in that sucker to equal a good 4-6 weeks of fat...and not even good fat at that! All Saturated! YIKES!!!
    Love the little 'High Five' fluffy puppy! Makes me want to talk to Santa Clause!

Interesting time at the Chiro today. Dr. Pat is out of town this week, so I knew I'd be meeting a 'stand in'..He was very nice, very, very thorough. Did basically same things as Dr. Pat would have done, sometimes in a slightly different manner. Interesting. He worked with my sore hip, we talked about light stretching, I've move one step backwards...I'd assumed I was ready for heat on the hip...since it was more than 10 days past the event of falling. So we compromised on cold alternating with heat several times a day, and another round of light stretches at night. ...I asked him how long he thought this would be sore...I was shocked when he said that as sore as it is, etc. he expects about 6 weeks. CHRISTMAS!?!?!? Oh YIKES!!!
    So, went to Whole Foods...found the cheese...had to ask where the Vegan Cheese was...the Midtown store has been completely moved, they added quite a bit of new floor in the process of the remodel...but finding stuff was an adventure...anyhow, I looked, and they had the mozza, and pepper jack, but no Follow Your Heart Am. cheese. BUT, they did have the shredded parm. cheese!!! And when I got it home I tasted it...its tasty! I'm happy with it. I only had about 8 items, and qualified for the quick check out lines. Felt a frustrated as the babe ahead of me checked out a whole cart of wine, and assorted groceries...certainly more than what should have gone thru that line. And the line behind me grew...so the two ladies behind me each with one or two items and were on their lunch hour, (I asked) were invited by me to go first. Both looked shocked...and 'are you sure?', etc. I explained I was retired, and not on a time budget...and yes please go first! I love doing that!!! People really never expect it..hope it made their day better at least for a couple minutes. :)

Bought my chicken fried tofu, and ate it soon as I got home! Also a small amount of their vegan Mac & Cheese. That I always taste before putting a bunch in my little hot bar box. Sometimes I think Ed's made it and has gone nuts with the red pepper!!! :) But today was quite good, so I enjoyed that too. Good thing I had a big plate of veg for breakfast, eh!!!!

Some days I really shouldn't watch the news. The city of Atlanta, which is so in need of updating its water and sewer, has been crying 'broke' for years, has NOT been charging schools, a luxury high rise condo building, some 'vacant' properties, etc. to the tune of unbilled half a Million dollars a MONTH, and this is for YEARS. The Luxury High Rise building, which is where this all started hasn't paid for 15 years, by their own records....How does this happen??? They were the ones who pushed and pushed asking for water and sewer bills...I'm just shaking my head....

Later...

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,227 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Need to make the gingered cranberry and kumquat relish today, and probably bake the pumpkin pie. And watch "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" as I always do on the day before Thanksgiving, if I can.

And a few dishes to clean up, as usual.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    It was showing 34 degrees and a occasional puff of wind this morning and it was OK walking. I hit 8,211 steps + 1 Cent on the mornings walk. I spent $8.25 after the Senior Discount at the Supermarket on my walk. I picked up a few last minute items for my brother, Mostly. A couple of cans of Evaporated Milk, some Yellow Onions, Lettuce etc.
    Today will be more baking, Yesterday we dropped off two homemade Sweet Potato Pies for taste feedback on which recipe is better, The Alton brown one or the one by Dave Lieberman. Alton's uses a regular pie crust and is topped with Chopped Pecans and Dave's uses a Graham Cracker Crust, We varied that by making it with a Ginger Snap Cookie Crust as a variation :)

Today's baking will be a Pumpkin Pie for our Holiday pie and maybe a loaf of beer bread. A very Simple but tasty recipe. The alternative to the beer bread is Biscuits to go with the Leftover Turkey Gravy as well as with the Holiday Meal.

Now that the Dried Fruits have been delivered it is nearly time for my brother to bake the Alton Brown's Recipe Fruit Cake that gets handed out to friends. It is so much better than the ones You get commercially. This is the one that even his friends that normally do not like or eat fruit cake love.

I hope everybody is ready for the Holiday :)
    Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Roger! The burger tower....looking at all the hamburger, bacon, and cheese I'm guessing calories would be the least of your problems! Probably enough fat in that sucker to equal a good 4-6 weeks of fat...and not even good fat at that! All Saturated! YIKES!!!
    Love the little 'High Five' fluffy puppy! Makes me want to talk to Santa Clause!
    Hi Valerie
    Well, it may be a little bit much :)
    If You are eating that, even over the course of a couple of days I suspect You are not worried about calories or fats...
    Interesting time at the Chiro today. Dr. Pat is out of town this week, so I knew I'd be meeting a 'stand in'..He was very nice, very, very thorough. Did basically same things as Dr. Pat would have done, sometimes in a slightly different manner. Interesting. He worked with my sore hip, we talked about light stretching, I've move one step backwards...I'd assumed I was ready for heat on the hip...since it was more than 10 days past the event of falling. So we compromised on cold alternating with heat several times a day, and another round of light stretches at night. ...I asked him how long he thought this would be sore...I was shocked when he said that as sore as it is, etc. he expects about 6 weeks. CHRISTMAS!?!?!? Oh YIKES!!!
    So, went to Whole Foods...found the cheese...had to ask where the Vegan Cheese was...the Midtown store has been completely moved, they added quite a bit of new floor in the process of the remodel...but finding stuff was an adventure...anyhow, I looked, and they had the mozza, and pepper jack, but no Follow Your Heart Am. cheese. BUT, they did have the shredded parm. cheese!!! And when I got it home I tasted it...its tasty! I'm happy with it. I only had about 8 items, and qualified for the quick check out lines. Felt a frustrated as the babe ahead of me checked out a whole cart of wine, and assorted groceries...certainly more than what should have gone thru that line. And the line behind me grew...so the two ladies behind me each with one or two items and were on their lunch hour, (I asked) were invited by me to go first. Both looked shocked...and 'are you sure?', etc. I explained I was retired, and not on a time budget...and yes please go first! I love doing that!!! People really never expect it..hope it made their day better at least for a couple minutes. :)
    I'm sorry to hear that it will take that long to get back to 100%.

The Local ShopRite Moved everything around this year. My brother was not happy trying to find things, especially while it was ongoing. While it was being done for those several weeks even the people in the store were not sure where some of the foods were :)

Both my Brother and I have let people ahead of us in line too.
    Bought my chicken fried tofu, and ate it soon as I got home! Also a small amount of their vegan Mac & Cheese. That I always taste before putting a bunch in my little hot bar box. Sometimes I think Ed's made it and has gone nuts with the red pepper!!! :) But today was quite good, so I enjoyed that too. Good thing I had a big plate of veg for breakfast, eh!!!!

Some days I really shouldn't watch the news. The city of Atlanta, which is so in need of updating its water and sewer, has been crying 'broke' for years, has NOT been charging schools, a luxury high rise condo building, some 'vacant' properties, etc. to the tune of unbilled half a Million dollars a MONTH, and this is for YEARS. The Luxury High Rise building, which is where this all started hasn't paid for 15 years, by their own records....How does this happen??? They were the ones who pushed and pushed asking for water and sewer bills...I'm just shaking my head....

Later...
    Sadly I am not surprised by the lack of collection, Is it not interesting that they never seem to miss going after the little guy if they miss a payment, let alone for years.

I am often in the camp of not happy watching the news. It was worse this year this year with the election.

I am surprised that they have a hot food bar with Vegan foods.

Have a Good Upcoming Holiday or should I call it Tofurkey Day :)
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Wednesday Morning...Turkey eve!
    All the preps are underway with you guys! I'm impressed. Hope you get to watch your movie Ed. My BHAG is to finally watch a Thanksgiving Parade on TV. Every year I end up busy the morning of....

Haven't had my breakfast yet, so really need to head off to the kitchen...and after breakfast kitchen clean up, and lunch at Sweet Tomatoes. Oatmeal, which cooks in its own bowl, will be the only dinner dish...oh, and the spoon of course!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi Valerie
    I see that Your post and mine were both at the same time 9:39AM so I suspect You missed mine.

I DVR things like the Macy's parade and Rose Parade on New Years Day.

BHAG?? I'm not familiar with that one :)

Enjoy Your Day and Thanksgiving day too.
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Yes, I did miss your second post, but saw the early morning one.
    BHAG...Big Hairy Audacious Goal :) Never thought I'd know one that you didn't Roger!
    No Tofurky here. Certainly no Turducken.LOL!! (not sure that's spelled correctly but you'll get it none the less!)
    Good point about the 'water' utilities never missing a small account. So true.
    Just paid my car insurance. ARG....may be time to hunt for a new insurer.
    And yes they have one side of the hot bars...so there are 10ish items there, and of course other entree's or prepared salad items are also Vegan...its very nice. The Midtown store has 3 hot bars, and 1 ½ cold , plus the big salad bar.... mine up here, is much smaller, and its a 50/50 chance of finding a hot vegan entrée. The additional space in the freezer area, and grocery areas a juice bar, and a big floral shop, all came with the additional sq. footage from Office Depot...I hope they never want it back!!! :)
    Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi Valerie
    Well, I sure never knew that one.

I just got the Car Insurance Bill, almost 1100 dollars and that is with the discount for also having the Homeowners with them. I hear You about the cost. Naturally it arrives right before the Christmas shopping season :(

I think I am done with my Christmas shopping, Whee :)

My Sister got the weather station. I know I specified Gift Wrap from Amazon and a Gift Card and mentioned in the email I sent here that It was for her Christmas Gift, I may be at fault however as I also said to check for breakage and never mentioned it would be obvious if it was damaged without needing to open it. However Her email saying I got it also said it is beautiful, Oh well. At least She seems to really like it. Either Way, It is nice to know it arrived in good shape and is good looking.

You have a better hot food bar than we do here. The Best one in the Grocery store here has one and a Half Hot food sections. It used to be much better but they have been reducing the quality of the items over the years and I believe that has had an impact on sales.
    I used to be able to go there and get a nice Rib Eye Steak, Bacon, I love bacon and steak, Yum, Yum. Hot or sweet Sausage and Peppers, Several kinds of Chicken Wings etc. Now days the meat offerings are more of a type of chicken cutlets in a sauce Maybe some pork in gravy and a lot of overpriced Vegetables. All good in one way, Much less temptation to stray with them :)

I do know what You meat With the Turducken. And it seems to be spelled properly to me. FWIW that never appealed to me.

Have a Great Thanksgiving
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Ed
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Roger, sorry your hot bar at the grocery is not great. I almost always go to the one in Midtown when I'm in town.
    I'll trade you insurance bills.....
    With Vehicle safety, Accident Free, and Home Owners discounts, of supposedly $463, my car ins is still $500 higher a year than yours...like I said..I think I need to look around. I paid for 6 months...so looking will commence this spring.

You and your brother enjoy the day tomorrow. I'm sure a lot of good food and wonderful smells will come from your kitchen and Ed's. Looking forward to seeing, but not eating, DS1's first attempt to smoke turkey breasts.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...
  • parityanimal
    Gingered cranberry and kumquat relish is done, and so is the pumpkin pie. Both made with a stevia based sweetener. There was a little more filling than needed so I have already tried the pie, sort of. Not terribly sweet but I don't like my pumpkin pie too sweet. Dinner time will be determined by what time I drag myself out of bed and get the turkey started, since it's going to be about 5 hours from in the oven to serving. The stuffing won't take long and can go in the oven when the turkey comes out to stand.

I haven't heard anything negative from Tucson yet so am assuming everything went OK at Whole Wallet ... I mean Whole Foods, with picking up their dinner for tomorrow. D ended up having to work today so his stepfather was supposed to be picking it up. I got an email from the store re-detailing the order at 3 minutes past 5 this evening, so I think that was when R picked up the dinner.

J decided not to go to Kentucky, so I'll be doing some last minute menu adjustments, but I'm experienced with that from past dinners. LOL. Might need to do a quick run to Kroger while the turkey is cooking though, for a couple of potatoes and some salad dressing to make him some potato salad. I have the ingredients for deviled eggs already, and for a small broccoli rice cheese casserole. I could also make some quick honey glazed dilled carrots if he wants. He'll have enough to eat.

We are now watching The Unsinkable Molly Brown, having eaten some vegetable Alfredo lasagne and some garlic cheese toast for dinner.

I'm finishing off my wine, and alternating with sugar free PowerAde.

G'night all!

Happy Thanksgiving!

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thanksgiving Thursday!

Got the pan set out, and plan to get the bird in by 8:30 or maybe 9:00. My previous time estimates were based on my cooking a STUFFED turkey, and since I don't intend to stuff the bird, the time estimate has shortened.

Still planning to let the stuffing and any other baked sides cook while the turkey is standing. It occurs to me that I have some button mushrooms that could be sautéed with broccoli, onion, and bell pepper for a nice, substantial, vegetarian side that J might enjoy. And I can roast some sun-chokes as well, since the oven will be on anyway!

I just tasted my no-sugar-added gingered cranberry and kumquat relish, made yesterday. I am NEVER making ordinary cranberry sauce again! This stuff is to die for!

So...J can have deviled eggs, mushroom broccoli sauté, some of my spicy Cajun style cornbread stuffing if he wants, as it will be vegetarian (but he's not too fond, generally, of cornbread stuffing), roasted sun-chokes, broccoli rice cheese casserole, and no-sugar-added pumpkin pie.

I can have turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry relish, mushroom broccoli sauté, maybe just a taste of the sun-chokes, a bite of deviled egg, a slice of ham, a bite of purple sweet potato, and some no-sugar-added pumpkin pie. Taste everything, eat nothing? Well...maybe taste everything and eat some turkey and ham. LOL.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all. And since Thanksgiving is turkey day...and turkey is a bird...and bird is a word...in fact, bird is THE word...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-WKJs1EcB0

• RogerToo
    Hi
    It was showing 41 degrees and a occasional stray rain drop and it was OK walking however. I hit 8,434 steps + 1 Cent today too, that makes 4 cents since last last Friday.

The Pumpkin Pies are done, and the Turkey is cooked and sitting in the oven to slowly cool off, the snack tray items with Sweet Gherkins, Celery, Carrots are cut up and in a Ziploc bag. It looks like it will be Biscuits to go with the Leftover Turkey Gravy as well as with the Holiday Meal. The plan is to quarter the Red Potatoes and mash them with the skin on.

So today's menu:
    Turkey, Bread Stuffing that has some dices Celery and Diced Onion and Butter cooked in with it, Mashed Red Potatoes, Home Made Gravy, Biscuits, Mixed Frozen vegetables, Pumpkin Pie with Home made whipped Cream :) Snack Tray of Vegetables including Black Olives and of Course Home Made Cranberry Sauce that was made the other day.

Today's Breakfast is a Banana and a Chocolate NS protein Shake. We eat the Main holiday meals sometime after noon so that will be the next food, Then Leftovers for Dinner.

I hope everybody is ready for the Holiday :)
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Roger, sorry your hot bar at the grocery is not great. I almost always go to the one in Midtown when I'm in town.
    I'll trade you insurance bills.....
    With Vehicle safety, Accident Free, and Home Owners discounts, of supposedly $463, my car ins is still $500 higher a year than yours...like I said..I think I need to look around. I paid for 6 months...so looking will commence this spring.

You and your brother enjoy the day tomorrow. I'm sure a lot of good food and wonderful smells will come from your kitchen and Ed's. Looking forward to seeing, but not eating, DS1's first attempt to smoke turkey breasts.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...
    Hi Valerie
    I am not too sorry since it does remove a temptation to go to that store for it which could also lead to a impulse buy of junk food :)

Wow, Don't tell me Your is higher? I thought insurance costs were lower down south.
    I thought mine was high considering no accidents many years, No mileage a year = No bump in rates for commuting to work and no collision since it is a 1999 Buick. Our Homeowners could be worse, However since we are within a certain distance of a Fire Hydrant that helps. I think I would be going over that policy to see if I could shave it down. In NJ we get a guide with every renewal that explains options to reduce the cost.

Going off on a humorous tangent Your mention of Your DS1's first attempt to smoke turkey breasts made me wonder if he will have a hard time lighting it up.

As You can see form my general post to all, We are nearly done with preparations, About the only thing left to cook is the Biscuits and Potatoes and Vegetables.

We plan to enjoy the day, Tomorrow is another day to work on losing today's weight gain :)

Enjoy Your Holiday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Ed
    That sounds like a plan to me. We did stuff the Turkey with a big bowl of Bread stuffing and another large bowl on the side too. That Cranberry sauce sounds delicious.

I was wondering how do You do the Sunchokes? We have plenty of them to experiment with since the 9 plants really produced.

Have a Nice Enjoyable Holiday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    The bird is in the oven. The celery and onion are chopped for the stuffing, the giblets are almost cooked and ready to go to the next step of the giblet gravy...need to chop onion and bell pepper and prep some broccoli for the two broccoli dishes.

Everything going smoothly, and the Macy's parade playing on my other monitor.

For the sun-chokes, I'm trying to follow the KISS principle...and since the oven is already at 350, will be sticking them in on the shelf under the turkey at the appropriate time.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/231247/roasted-jerusalem-artichokes-or-sunchokes/
  • parityanimal
    The feast! Ham, turkey, jalapeño Cajun cornbread dressing, giblet gravy, maple glazed sweet potato, roasted sun- chokes, broccoli rice cheese casserole, Greek yogurt deviled eggs, gingered cranberry kumquat relish, pumpkin pie. As presented, as plated, except for the cranberry relish and the pie, as appreciated by Lilo, the leftover turkey, and the stuffed fridge after. I'll make the broccoli saute another day.

20161124_130531_zpskiggczmd.jpg

20161124_131504_zpsjgzvk8bd.jpg

20161124_131522_zps50zereov.jpg

20161124_140522_zpsrfa5be94.jpg

20161124_141704_zpsxpenk6am.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hi,
    I posted, or at least thought I did. But, I think I typed, and Ted arrived, and I'll bet I never 'posted my reply'...
    So, hope you've had wonderful meals, and everybody is stuffed!!! Ted and I ate well at Jack and Jenn's home. We had visiting time on the porch, while the turkey breast finished in the smoker, and everybody had fun.
    Ed, loved the pix....for sure you were well fed, as was Lilo. I'm not sure I'd ever seen a pix of her....she's beautiful!!!
    Roger, hope you had a great day as well...Did you try cooking the sun chokes?
    Who posted 'The Bird is the Word?' Its been in my head ALL day long! LOL!!!

I'm tired now, and its time to remove the cold pack from my sore back, so I'll see you all in the morning....
    Later...
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    End of the evening Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Yes...I overdid the evening (which truly is not typical of me). No one item was in excess, but the evening as a whole was. Back to the reality tomorrow.
    Lee-Ann
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's Leftover Thanksgiving Food day!

I feel that I managed to restrain myself fairly well. The "no potatoes, no rolls" idea worked well and I didn't really miss them. You saw my plate(s)...I did ad a spoonful of my cranberry relish to the middle of the main plate, and had a piece of my pie, but other than that, dinner was just a fairly small plate, and while I felt FULL, I didn't feel STUFFED as on prior Thanksgivings. But even if I did, I always take Thanksgiving as something of a day off from counting carbs, calories, or anything else WITHIN REASON. A bite or two of everything but not a lot of anything. Maybe I did have just a little more than a bite or two of stuffing and turkey, but that's what it's all about! :)

And Lilo loved her small serving of turkey breast.

Supper last night was, for me, just some turkey, stuffing, and gravy. For J it was the rest of the deviled eggs and some potato chips. Oh, and I did have another small slice of my pie.

Breakfast this morning: leftover ham, and one small banana.

I know I'm going to have to freeze some of this turkey breast unless I make an enormous turkey pig of myself. The ham I'll finish off in a day or three, but there is a LOT of turkey left. It will all, eventually, be eaten, just some may be a while. LOL.

If I go anywhere today, it will just be to Kroger for some salad dressing so I can make turkey sandwiches. I don't DO Black Friday sales. Ever.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...