Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    edited December 2016
    Two things...as I was scrolling to the bottom to post, I was reminded of Roger's pix of an old 'Flit' can....DDT! And it was sprayed in the house for flies, and on bodies that were going to be picking blackberries in July! Wonder of wonders that my boys are 'normal'.

I just saw a post with PURPLE, yep Purple Lima Beans!!!
    tsuy11uiakg4.jpg
    hope this link works!!! And it did work! Are those not NEAT?????
    Must grow some...wonder how they'd look twined around the mailbox! LOL!

Later...

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,226 Member
    Ed, thanks for the picture of the 'mandrinquats'....hope they're not too sour or bitter. Kumquats that I've had in the past were not what I'd call 'enjoyable fruits' . Could just be me, and it could be that I need to revisit this fruit (Kumquats), as my taste buds have changed so much in the past 6 years.

I've never cared for kumquats "as is" myself. I always sliced them and cooked them down with lots of sugar to make a syrup in the past, until this year Thanksgiving when I made the gingered cranberry kumquat relish, but that too, of course, had plenty of sweetener added, just not sugar.

I liked the mandarinquat even without sweetener, but I suspect a little stevia sweetener would make them even better, as they are quite tart. Much juicier than any kumquat I remember too!
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Hi Folks,

The manadrinquats (did I read that correctly?) is an interesting looking/sounding/described fruit. I guess I should start looking around more for some of these interesting fruits. I am kind of "stuck" in a routine.

Roger - the pictures get me every time. The threat for spamming everyone brought back slow memories! Val - the purple limas - interesting. Do they taste similar to green limas? I used to love limas as a kid. Maybe I need to go back in time and try them again.

Wishing all of you a lovely new year filled with family, good health, and fun.

Take care,
    Lee-Ann
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I was out walking Today for 9.1K steps + 1 Cent. The temperature was 43 degrees this morning and Sunny. Rain in the forecast for Monday.

I went to be around 10PM as I was tired. I Woke up around Midnight to the sound of people in the Neighborhood firing Guns into the Air :)

I am drinking a Atkins Cafe Caramel Protein Shake right now. It is just as I remembered it being Tasty if somewhat Higher in calories than than the old NS Protein shakes were. It is higher than the replacement shakes too by 30 calories.

Have a Good New Years Day and a Healthy, Happy upcoming Year
    Roger
    rIoKoC.jpg
    eLP8O6.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Happy New Years Eve!

Not supposed to be terribly warm today, and 40% chance of rain. Need to get that ham bone out of the freezer so Eduardo can cook up a mess of black eyed peas tomorrow!

I ate one of the mandarinquats this morning. Another I sliced turned out to not have developed fully or perhaps overdeveloped as there was a LOT of pith in the interior and it was dry, not juicy at all. Should deodorize the disposal nicely for a while though.

Like a kumquat, the skin is edible and is, at least in my experience with eating one, the sweetest part of the fruit. The pulp and juice have a very orangey mandarin flavor but just about all the tartness that one might expect from a kumquat too, so be prepared to pucker just a bit. I find them to be pretty good, overall.

20161231_092906_zpsejiqsonm.jpg
    Hi Ed
    Thank You for that review of the Mandarinquats. I had tried Kumquats in the past and after the one time I passed on them :)
    Ed, thanks for the picture of the 'mandrinquats'....hope they're not too sour or bitter. Kumquats that I've had in the past were not what I'd call 'enjoyable fruits' . Could just be me, and it could be that I need to revisit this fruit (Kumquats), as my taste buds have changed so much in the past 6 years.

I've never cared for kumquats "as is" myself. I always sliced them and cooked them down with lots of sugar to make a syrup in the past, until this year Thanksgiving when I made the gingered cranberry kumquat relish, but that too, of course, had plenty of sweetener added, just not sugar.

I liked the mandarinquat even without sweetener, but I suspect a little stevia sweetener would make them even better, as they are quite tart. Much juicier than any kumquat I remember too!

FWIW My Grandfather used to take Grapefruits Sliced in half the night before and spoon sugar onto them to soak in while they sat there and then they would eat them for part of the Breakfast.

Happy New Year
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning! New Year's Eve!
    Eating my tasty breakfast bowl! Basmati Rice, couple oz. baked tofu, half an oven baked yellow onion, Spinach, and peas! And NO BACON!!! LOL!!!
    Roger, two bacon cartoons and Rudolph gone wrong! Love it!!!
    Tonite I will watch the bowl game that Ohio is playing in...cuz my DIL is a HUGE fan from OHIO...(though she went to Bowling Green, not OSU!) Tomorrow I will watch the outdoor Hockey game..., and Monday the Classic outdoor Hockey game. Not sure why there are two, but Monday's game is St. Louis Blues vs Chicago Black Hawks...or more immediately, DS1's hockey team vs Nate's Black Hawks! Love family involved hockey games. Team rivalry runs deep in this family when it comes to hockey!!

Ok, I need to get this day underway! The left over 'todo' list has to be mopped up Today.Period. No more 'wiggle room' left in 2016!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Happy New Year

I thought of You when I ran across the Two bacon cartoons :)

My taste Buds have changed, Since I went on NS...
    I had a slice of the Pizza with two toppings My brother got last Night with Dinner, In the Past I have had the Pizza from there and enjoyed it with those toppings. However it must be due to my taste buds changing as it was not that good. Tasted salty too and this from someone that used to shake a little salt on their Pizza in the past :)

I hope You got Your 2016 todo list finished....
    Ok, wonder why I didn't see Ed's post when I posted this morning???
    Thanks for the update on Mandrinquats.
    I need to get my black eyed peas out of the freezer and into the refrigerator! Thanks for the reminder.
    I'm not sure why, I have had that happen in the past here too.
    Two things...as I was scrolling to the bottom to post, I was reminded of Roger's pix of an old 'Flit' can....DDT! And it was sprayed in the house for flies, and on bodies that were going to be picking blackberries in July! Wonder of wonders that my boys are 'normal'.

I just saw a post with PURPLE, yep Purple Lima Beans!!!
    tsuy11uiakg4.jpg
    hope this link works!!! And it did work! Are those not NEAT?????
    Must grow some...wonder how they'd look twined around the mailbox! LOL!

Later...
    If I can believe the way Kids are bundled up and Loaded into the car these days You would think their was carnage among the young as they rode in the car unbelted, No padded Dashes or Airbags and no Child seats, Not to mention laying on the back shelf over the trunk too :)

I survived unscathed, and I also survived untouched by Bicycling all over NJ with no safety helmet as a Kid. From Bloomfield and East Orange I used to peddle down to Newark and Up to the Edison Labs for example. And wonder of wonders despite not locking the Bike up it was never stolen no matter where I went when I left it to go into the Newark Library or take the Tour through the Edison Museum :wink:

Interesting looking Limas, We have trouble finding anything but canned days. I would love to find frozen Baby Limas.

These days They have gone crazy at the Airports too. I seem to remember hearing where they Confiscated a Flit Gun when told what it was :)

Enjoy the Upcoming New Year
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited January 2017
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

The manadrinquats (did I read that correctly?) is an interesting looking/sounding/described fruit. I guess I should start looking around more for some of these interesting fruits. I am kind of "stuck" in a routine.

Roger - the pictures get me every time. The threat for spamming everyone brought back slow memories! Val - the purple limas - interesting. Do they taste similar to green limas? I used to love limas as a kid. Maybe I need to go back in time and try them again.

Wishing all of you a lovely new year filled with family, good health, and fun.

Take care,
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    Happy New Year

I'm glad everybody is enjoying the Pictures.

I could not imagine using dial-up these days on the Internet.

The Purple Lima beans reminded me I want to get a Bag of Frozen Baby Limas If I can find one so that I can add a few to each of my Vegetable servings. I Add four baby Carrots before heating too. I have found that the 1 Pound Bags from the produce section work well for that and they are better than the frozen ones I tried where they were so Fibrous I had to cut them with a Knife.

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

J and I actually managed to stay up until midnight, and then consumed personal sized bottles of Prosecco in lieu of champagne. Extra dry for me, sweet (blech!) for him. He drank three whole bottles of wine because his sister and nephew didn't end up coming after all. But they were small so it was like having three glasses.

Then we finished watching the movie we had started and I went to bed. Lilo was wondering why I (well, we, since she sleeps next to me most of the night) hadn't gone to bed hours earlier.

Today Eduardo needs to get started on the black eyed peas soon, to be done in a crock pot with the very meaty ham bone from Christmas, some hog jowl, some onion, and some seasoning, and then a separate small slow cooker of vegan black eyed peas for J. And of course the collard greens in a third, though they needn't be started quite so early.

Corn bread may become spoonbread/corn pudding casserole this year, as J likes that a lot better than cornbread and at least then I know he'll eat more of it. And for him probably some fried potatoes, though I'll be fine with the beans, greens and spoonbread myself.

Maybe a small salad before, if the lettuce in the fridge is still OK.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    I looked up the purple lima beans and they look interesting to me too. I like lima beans but it's hard to get J to eat anything but the tiny baby green ones. I like those too, of course, but now and then I get myself some fordhooks and just pig out on them myself.

The mandarinquats are on next week's order too, as I found them interesting and likable. Kind of pricey for how many they send, but I'll eat them and enjoy the new (to me) food while it's available.

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning and Happy New Year!
    Oh, the celebration last night on my predominately Latino street! Firecrackers, some sounding like big cannons, from night fall to raise the dead loud at midnight! :) I loved it.
    Did wonder about the very big 'booms'...I didn't go investigate, but I wonder if they were setting them off inside big trash cans? We did that with the boys one rainy July 4th...noise amplified!!! It was fun listening!

Antonio, cousin to my neighbor Lu, and Antonio lived with Lu for a long time, (til he got married)...he stopped to wish me Happy New Year. He is such a dear person. I am happy to see him happily married, a father, and doing work that he loves. Makes my heart glad to know him! So, his stopping by to say hello, Happy New Year was a real treat.

Since I was awake hours later than usual...I slept in. This body seems to demand, seriously demand 8-9 hours sleep. But then, I've always been a good sleeper!

Will be in the kitchen 'with' Ed shortly. I'd love to know how he's going to season J's collards, as I eat them, but have yet to find a way to cook them that interests my taste buds...:(

I woke with a 'want' of cornbread...now, since eggs and butter and milk are tucked in there with the baking powder and cornmeal and wheat flour...not sure how to make that happen! Whole Foods does make a vegan cornbread, and its good! But its 'drippy' outside, and I'm just not driving the 16 miles (round trip), on the Odd Chance that they have some! So, searching my memory banks...I seem to remember Ed and some crispy fried corn bread...I have the recipe so I may need to give that a second look!!

Right now, I'm headed for the Keurig for a cup of decaf...my first cup was a half caff . So I'm done with caffeine for the day.

I hope everyone has a great day....my Mother used to tell me not to do anything on New Years day that I didn't want to do the rest of the year....so I won't be vacuuming under the bed, or making little repairs around the house today!!!!!! LOL! No To Do's list today!!

Oh, and the DIL's Ohio team got stomped last night! Score was many to nothing last night, and Ohio got the goose egg. I did hear the announcers mention that in past games between Clemson and Ohio St. Ohio had Never won a game....the trend continues!!!

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Ed...chuckle for you....many years go I was asked to bring 'corn pudding' to the Thanksgiving dinner....Never even heard of it really...so Google to the rescue...found a really simple recipe for in the crock pot, started with a box of Jiffy Mix corn bread...and add ins...whole kernel corn, chili peppers, minced onion, maybe on the onion. etc. The Loved it! None to bring home!
    Now to go locate that crispy fried corn bread recipe of yours........
  • parityanimal
    Well, the ham bone and my black eyed peas are going, in one crock pot, along with some diced up bits of jowl bacon, garlic, onion, other seasonings and herbs, including a drop or three of smoke flavoring.

In another one I have collards with a splash of apple cider vinegar, a little sugar (yes, REAL SUGAR - GASP!), some garlic and garlic powder, some onion, some red pepper flakes, and some smoke flavoring. Making this one vegan/vegetarian too, so J can at least try some and he will, after which he'll probably say it's "ok" but he doesn't really like it. The only time I ever made greens he really liked was when I had 3 or 4 different kinds of greens, fresh from my (now defunct) kitchen garden pots, and cooked them in a similar fashion and he was ASTOUNDED that he felt those greens were GOOD. He even told his mother and she laughed, because she never could make any greens that he liked either.

And in a third slow cooker some vegan/vegetarian black eyed peas, seasoned somewhat similarly to my pot with the ham bone, but a little more on the spicy side, including additional hot chili things to make them more interesting to J. This is HIS pot of black eyed peas.

The package of slice jowl bacon had more than I felt I needed to dice up for the black eyed peas, and I was kind of craving some bacon anyway, as I haven't eaten any in a while, so I fried the rest of the jowl bacon up nice and crispy, drained it on paper towels, and enjoyed that as a mid-morning snack. Lilo asked for, and received, a couple of small bites "accidentally" dropped on the floor.

We'll probably have the Jiffy spoon bread casserole, made with a different brand of corn muffin mix, since Jiffy has lard in it. I found another brand that is the same size without the lard and will use that to make the casserole, substituting plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream. J loves this casserole so I don't have to do any convincing to get him to eat it.

http://www.jiffymix.com/recipe.php/jiffy+corn+muffin+mix/156-spoon+bread+casserole

Then, to finish off HIS side, probably some fried potatoes and onion, though I think eating beans and a small serving of the spoon bread will be sufficient carbs for me. I don't expect he'll eat a lot of the beans or greens, but will fill up on the spoon bread and potatoes.

This cooking will finish off the 9 pound bone-in half ham I cooked for Christmas, making it 11 pounds of ham (minus the weight of the bone) I'll have eaten this Christmas season...that may be a new record for me! But with D not here to help, I've been eating ham pretty much every day since returning from Kentucky with the two pounds of sliced barbecued/smoked ham from there.

Well, I didn't eat any yesterday because I finished off all except the bone and trimmings Friday and the bone and trimmings were in the freezer until yesterday, and in the crock pot today.

Like Val, I kind of could use a trip to the store, but with this weather (I'm NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE RAIN THOUGH) I think I'll just stay in today, and try to keep warm and dry.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• GardenKatGardens
    This is not a day for being outdoors, but I too welcome the wetness. About a quarter inch since yesterday, and supposed to be a wet forecast thru Tues. I'm sure we'll welcome the sunshine by Wednesday!!!!

Never did find the corn fritters you posted long ago...but found a vegan recipe for corn muffins...will try that.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Oh, Val, I almost forgot...Eduardo also uses vegetable broth, not water, to cook the greens...

• RogerToo
    I looked up the purple lima beans and they look interesting to me too. I like lima beans but it's hard to get J to eat anything but the tiny baby green ones. I like those too, of course, but now and then I get myself some fordhooks and just pig out on them myself.

The mandarinquats are on next week's order too, as I found them interesting and likable. Kind of pricey for how many they send, but I'll eat them and enjoy the new (to me) food while it's available.
    Hi Ed
    Those small Baby Lima beans are the ones I like best too, followed by the Butter Beans style.

Fordhooks ??

If You can stand the price why not have some variety :)
    Well, the ham bone and my black eyed peas are going, in one crock pot, along with some diced up bits of jowl bacon, garlic, onion, other seasonings and herbs, including a drop or three of smoke flavoring.

In another one I have collards with a splash of apple cider vinegar, a little sugar (yes, REAL SUGAR - GASP!), some garlic and garlic powder, some onion, some red pepper flakes, and some smoke flavoring. Making this one vegan/vegetarian too, so J can at least try some and he will, after which he'll probably say it's "ok" but he doesn't really like it. The only time I ever made greens he really liked was when I had 3 or 4 different kinds of greens, fresh from my (now defunct) kitchen garden pots, and cooked them in a similar fashion and he was ASTOUNDED that he felt those greens were GOOD. He even told his mother and she laughed, because she never could make any greens that he liked either.

And in a third slow cooker some vegan/vegetarian black eyed peas, seasoned somewhat similarly to my pot with the ham bone, but a little more on the spicy side, including additional hot chili things to make them more interesting to J. This is HIS pot of black eyed peas.

The package of slice jowl bacon had more than I felt I needed to dice up for the black eyed peas, and I was kind of craving some bacon anyway, as I haven't eaten any in a while, so I fried the rest of the jowl bacon up nice and crispy, drained it on paper towels, and enjoyed that as a mid-morning snack. Lilo asked for, and received, a couple of small bites "accidentally" dropped on the floor.

We'll probably have the Jiffy spoon bread casserole, made with a different brand of corn muffin mix, since Jiffy has lard in it. I found another brand that is the same size without the lard and will use that to make the casserole, substituting plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream. J loves this casserole so I don't have to do any convincing to get him to eat it.

http://www.jiffymix.com/recipe.php/jiffy+corn+muffin+mix/156-spoon+bread+casserole

Then, to finish off HIS side, probably some fried potatoes and onion, though I think eating beans and a small serving of the spoon bread will be sufficient carbs for me. I don't expect he'll eat a lot of the beans or greens, but will fill up on the spoon bread and potatoes.

This cooking will finish off the 9 pound bone-in half ham I cooked for Christmas, making it 11 pounds of ham (minus the weight of the bone) I'll have eaten this Christmas season...that may be a new record for me! But with D not here to help, I've been eating ham pretty much every day since returning from Kentucky with the two pounds of sliced barbecued/smoked ham from there.

Well, I didn't eat any yesterday because I finished off all except the bone and trimmings Friday and the bone and trimmings were in the freezer until yesterday, and in the crock pot today.

Like Val, I kind of could use a trip to the store, but with this weather (I'm NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE RAIN THOUGH) I think I'll just stay in today, and try to keep warm and dry.
    Everything tastes better with Bacon, Well almost everything :)

I am sure You can use the rain.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning and Happy New Year!
    Oh, the celebration last night on my predominately Latino street! Firecrackers, some sounding like big cannons, from night fall to raise the dead loud at midnight! :) I loved it.
    Did wonder about the very big 'booms'...I didn't go investigate, but I wonder if they were setting them off inside big trash cans? We did that with the boys one rainy July 4th...noise amplified!!! It was fun listening!

Antonio, cousin to my neighbor Lu, and Antonio lived with Lu for a long time, (til he got married)...he stopped to wish me Happy New Year. He is such a dear person. I am happy to see him happily married, a father, and doing work that he loves. Makes my heart glad to know him! So, his stopping by to say hello, Happy New Year was a real treat.

Since I was awake hours later than usual...I slept in. This body seems to demand, seriously demand 8-9 hours sleep. But then, I've always been a good sleeper!

Will be in the kitchen 'with' Ed shortly. I'd love to know how he's going to season J's collards, as I eat them, but have yet to find a way to cook them that interests my taste buds...:(

I woke with a 'want' of cornbread...now, since eggs and butter and milk are tucked in there with the baking powder and cornmeal and wheat flour...not sure how to make that happen! Whole Foods does make a vegan cornbread, and its good! But its 'drippy' outside, and I'm just not driving the 16 miles (round trip), on the Odd Chance that they have some! So, searching my memory banks...I seem to remember Ed and some crispy fried corn bread...I have the recipe so I may need to give that a second look!!

Right now, I'm headed for the Keurig for a cup of decaf...my first cup was a half caff . So I'm done with caffeine for the day.

I hope everyone has a great day....my Mother used to tell me not to do anything on New Years day that I didn't want to do the rest of the year....so I won't be vacuuming under the bed, or making little repairs around the house today!!!!!! LOL! No To Do's list today!!

Oh, and the DIL's Ohio team got stomped last night! Score was many to nothing last night, and Ohio got the goose egg. I did hear the announcers mention that in past games between Clemson and Ohio St. Ohio had Never won a game....the trend continues!!!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Today is ontrack to be a lazy do nothing day now that I finished my walk. Did I mention it looks as if there may be a whole foods coming to a reasonable distance in the future. I saw a Banner for them on a retaining wall next to a long running highway project.
    Ed...chuckle for you....many years go I was asked to bring 'corn pudding' to the Thanksgiving dinner....Never even heard of it really...so Google to the rescue...found a really simple recipe for in the crock pot, started with a box of Jiffy Mix corn bread...and add ins...whole kernel corn, chili peppers, minced onion, maybe on the onion. etc. The Loved it! None to bring home!
    Now to go locate that crispy fried corn bread recipe of yours........
    This is not a day for being outdoors, but I too welcome the wetness. About a quarter inch since yesterday, and supposed to be a wet forecast thru Tues. I'm sure we'll welcome the sunshine by Wednesday!!!!

Never did find the corn fritters you posted long ago...but found a vegan recipe for corn muffins...will try that.

Later...

I hope they come out OK for You. I know that Vegan baking can be a bit of a nuisance.

Hopefully that will be a good start on breaking Your drought
    Roger

P.S. It is a bit of a pain when the new posts cover two pages :)
  • GardenKatGardens
    Ok, thanks Ed...
    Peas are cooking in veg broth and mireoix, red pepper, and garlic. Collards are chopped, veg broth is out on the counter, and cook had a change of menu... There will also be a side of rice, since its cooked and needs to be eaten...
    Decided I really, really wanted some roasted carrots...so they are in the oven roasting, and when just about done will be drizzled with a tad bit of honey!

Tomorrow I will make the corn muffins, and they will be great with my leftovers!!!

Time to check on the pots of, on the stove...
    It smells delicious in here...and warm from the oven! Can't beat that on a rainy day!
  • GardenKatGardens
    Ok, lets see if I can repeat my magic from yesterday? or Friday? Well, no matter, first is Tom E. Cat asking to go outside...only the last 2 or 3 times, he sniffs the wet chilly air and changes his mind! 4s5lnasl68ij.jpg
    Will send my dinner separately, as still not quite sure this will handle big uploads?? Although Roger seems to be able to send multi pix...

• GardenKatGardens
    And my New Years Day Dinner..
    Black eyed peas, cooked with mireoix....and collards that steamed for about 10-12 minutes in a pot with slow cooked caramelized onion, apple cider vinegar and a touch of brown sugar. That was the entire recipe...I was sure there wouldn't be enough liquid, so I added a splash of Veg. Broth as 'insurance'. Carrots roasted and glazed with a little honey, and under it all is the rice. Obviously I made a New Years Wealth and Prosperity BOWL, not a plate. Followed the directions for a New Orleans Style meal...its good!!!! And I will be more than happy to eat them again tomorrow with the corn muffins I will make from scratch.
    ogz6hxk7laym.jpg

(notice no oil, butter, salt, etc. )peas had red pepper, bay leaf, thyme, for seasoning.. WOW!
  • parityanimal
    And my New Years Day Dinner..
    Black eyed peas, cooked with mireoix....and collards that steamed for about 10-12 minutes in a pot with slow cooked caramelized onion, apple cider vinegar and a touch of brown sugar. That was the entire recipe...I was sure there wouldn't be enough liquid, so I added a splash of Veg. Broth as 'insurance'. Carrots roasted and glazed with a little honey, and under it all is the rice. Obviously I made a New Years Wealth and Prosperity BOWL, not a plate. Followed the directions for a New Orleans Style meal...its good!!!! And I will be more than happy to eat them again tomorrow with the corn muffins I will make from scratch.
    ogz6hxk7laym.jpg

(notice no oil, butter, salt, etc. )peas had red pepper, bay leaf, thyme, for seasoning.. WOW!

Mine still has a couple of hours to go, but I tasted the broth's and made some seasoning adjustments.

J's black eyed peas are nice and spicy. I think he'll like them. Mine are not quite as spicy but are loaded with ham, as there was more left on that bone than I thought! Not that I have any problem with that...both the ham and the beans are good proteins and the beans are a great starch.

My greens are tasting OK. Might need to do just a hair more adjustment before serving...