Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning its Tuesday!
    Foggy in GA! At one point this morning they were saying visibility was zero...now that's some serious fog! And already at 6 a.m. they were having fog related accidents on the Interstates. Hopefully people will slow down!!

Lunch today with my SIL, her daughter my niece Leslie, SIL's Dad, and my sons! Should be fun. Will have to work in some exercise, since I never did get there yesterday.

What is with the fights in Shopping Malls all over the US yesterday??? I'm sure that made the merchants lose revenue, so betting they were 'miffed'. The news said it was fueled by 'social media'...are our young so/that stupid? Sure looks like it... sad.

Time to head to the kitchen and find something to eat. Hungry this morning!

Later...

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,227 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 40% chance of rain but it looks like I am (or have been) in the 40, as it's wet on the sidewalk that I can see from the front door.

Lilo and I have been fed, but the rest of the ham needs to be stripped off the bone, and the bone put in a baggie for New Year's black eyed peas. Sliced jowl bacon is all ready in the meat keeper drawer too.

This ham has been a good one so far. Not quite as wonderful as the barbecued ham (not sure what they rub them with, or smoke them over, but oh, my, those Starne's barbecued hams are good) but this Kroger ham is still quite good. They could have spiral sliced it a bit farther into the meat, but I can slice the rest myself.

And of course need to get the sink cleared.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I was out walking Today for 10.9K steps. The temperature out the door was 55 degrees and mow 2+ hours later it is all the way up to 56t degrees. The forecast high is 60 degrees before it starts falling to the 30s overnight. Today I was fine in just Gloves and the Hoodie and left the hood down :) Outdoors it is a gray looking day some precipitation must have fallen overnight as everything was wet. Traffic on the roads is light this morning too.

Today I need to vacuum seal the slices of Rum Cake I put in the freezer yesterday as well as Portion out most of the remaining Ham to Vacuum Seal and Freeze for later use, Not to mention to reduce temptation to indulge AKA Overeat.

Have a Good Monday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2016
    Well, that ham didn't take too terribly long. I DEFINITELY have to freeze some of that though. I'll make sure to eat some for lunch, in the form of sautéd cabbage with ham, and perhaps later will dice some up to freeze for later versions of split pea soup or other legume soups, or perhaps to be scrambled with eggs.

OK. So I started out with a nine pound spiral sliced half ham...it was the smallest one I could find! I can't help it that I'm the only one here who eats ham. D is presumably eating whatever they cooked in Tucson. Normally he'd be helping me to eat the ham.

Now, perhaps, back to Season 1 of Supergirl!

• RogerToo
    Good Morning, Happy Boxing Day!
    And while we're about holidays, I read in a newsletter from UC/Davis, that tomorrow Dec 27th is Fruit Cake Day! And that fruit cakes go back to Roman times!!! Wow!! AND Univ. of California @ Davis campus puts out a newletter with veg. recipe's and such...so they posted a Vegan fruit cake recipe!!! Whoa!! It reads good, and I may just give it a try next year! And somewhere this morning I happened on to a snippet of good news...if your fruitcake dries out, just soak it in liquid....(I'm thinking Rum!!!), but I'm sure fruit juice would suffice.

I had a very enjoyable day yesterday...Christmas is always somewhat noisy and chaotic around the kids at Christmas, but a fun chaos. And after coffee and everybody eating brunchish food, we went to my DIL's Brothers home...more kids, more chaos, but it settled quickly, and the adults had a nice visit, and then dinner was served. Everything I ate was delicious! I'd taken a salad, (for some reason they love my salads...???), there was a wonderful smelling, rare, smoked and roasted beef tenderloin. Didn't eat that!, but also had a baked potato, they had twice baked topped with a bunch of cheese...and broccoli, etc. All was good. Evening outside since it was still in the 70's, half watched the big screen Football game, and the other half sat around the firepit. My DS1 played Domino's with my grandson, as he's kinda the left out person, age wise....they were next to me at the coffee table at the firepit....and let me tell you that 10 year old is RUTHLESS! He likes to win!

Was home by about 9:30, it was great not having to drive...DS2 picked me up, and brought me home! Liked that! Talked to my brother and his family in MO., and will see my deceased brother's family Wednesday for lunch.

I have an external bluetooth speaker (Bose) so I can hear my computer without having to put on ear buds, and the speaker sits on a charging pad, but can be lifted off the pad and carried to where ever you want to go (nice)...and a roasting tray and a round roasting pan to go with my grill...and framed pix of the kids, gotta have those for the grandmothers :), oh and a ghost!
    No, not really....DS2 gave me a Casper brand bed pillow...these things are amazing....check them out online!

My step count for the week was above goal. That hasn't happened in a long time, and I was amazed when I got up this morning, I could walk without morning stiffness and pain!! WhooHoo!!! (its the little things that count!)

Roger what recipe were you talking about for the onions? I first thought it was for the Crash Hot Potatoes, but they don't have onions??? Bit confused. If it was something that I cooked, I will gladly share the recipe, no problem, but I need a hint :)

Lee-Ann, I'm sure your dinner for the family was wonderful! Hope they helped the 'cook' and did her dishes for her! Even if its just loading the dishwasher, its a nice help!

Ed your dinner looked wonderful! And I'm thinking what I can use to duplicate the cabbage and ham sauté ...thinking maybe some broken up Morning Star Sausages Patties broken up into 'chunks'??? Might work.

Later...
    PS...the morning posts had started a new page, and I was not aware of that when I posted my good mornings!

Yep, its Boxing Day...and if we pick it up as a holiday, well, fine by me!!!

Sad to say, I do not have any leftovers today...so that'll be me you hear in the kitchen today!

Later still...
    Hi Valerie
    The Fruitcakes get frequent spritzing with a Alcoholic Beverage as part of the process before they are ready to eat :)
    I not recall if my Brother uses Rum or Brandy, Bottles of both are on the table right now.

It is hard to beat a Great Christmas Visit and then to be Chauffeured too :)

I just use the Speakers in the TV I use as a monitor for this computer and I have nice Computer Speakers w/Subwoofer plugged into the Other Computer I use for posting here, And Solitaire...

I was refering to Your offer for the recipe You used on the Onions.

In some ways I would be glad not to have leftovers tempting me.
    Thanks Ed....those hot and spicy ones are the ones I buy. They really are good!
    Have my new Bose bluetooth speaker paired with my computer...I Can Hear!!! :)

I've rocked and petted Tom E., he's been back outside, and he thinks I want to rock again? Sweet Dreams Tom E. Cat!!!

I still need to get on that bike.....why do I put that off alllll day long?

See you tomorrow!
    Roger, an article in my mailbox this morning was about making soup. As part of the process they said....."One way to ensure that the cooking process goes smoothly is to chop all of your vegetables and measure out your ingredients before you start. In traditional French culinary, this technique of preparing everything in advance is called “mise en place,” which means “set in place.” :) Did we not talk about that in the last week?!!! :)
    Made me smile and chuckle!
    Hope you have a good walk.
    Later...

We did indeed talk about that last week :)
    Good Morning its Tuesday!
    Foggy in GA! At one point this morning they were saying visibility was zero...now that's some serious fog! And already at 6 a.m. they were having fog related accidents on the Interstates. Hopefully people will slow down!!

Lunch today with my SIL, her daughter my niece Leslie, SIL's Dad, and my sons! Should be fun. Will have to work in some exercise, since I never did get there yesterday.

What is with the fights in Shopping Malls all over the US yesterday??? I'm sure that made the merchants lose revenue, so betting they were 'miffed'. The news said it was fueled by 'social media'...are our young so/that stupid? Sure looks like it... sad.

Time to head to the kitchen and find something to eat. Hungry this morning!

Later...
    I did not see any fog today as I covered my three town walk. I will say that I just walked through the corner of two of those towns where the meet, the majority of my walking was in my hometown.

The biggest problem with fog is that some people do slow down and others do not slow down and that can cause some large chain reaction crashes. IMO the best way to deal with Zero visibility is to stay off the roads.

Sadly I think they take anything said on Social Media as True whereas We know better. Not to mention they are using social media to create flash mobs too.

I think it is sad that problems arise in Malls from fighting. What kind of Holiday cheer are they exhibiting that they fight over items etc.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Lunch was a ham and Swiss sandwich on sugar free whole wheat bread, with a small handful of lightly salted wavy potato chips.

Sipping a cup of tea now and enjoying the fact that it's lightly raining outside.

I think I'll go start watching another serial or series now...
    Hi Ed
    That sounds Delicious I am pondering having some leftover Ham on a wrap with a little Miracle Whip later on for my Midmorning snack. If I had Swiss in the house I would be adding that as it sounds delicious.

Did You get to another serial or series? If So or if not what one(s) look good.
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 40% chance of rain but it looks like I am (or have been) in the 40, as it's wet on the sidewalk that I can see from the front door.

Lilo and I have been fed, but the rest of the ham needs to be stripped off the bone, and the bone put in a baggie for New Year's black eyed peas. Sliced jowl bacon is all ready in the meat keeper drawer too.

This ham has been a good one so far. Not quite as wonderful as the barbecued ham (not sure what they rub them with, or smoke them over, but oh, my, those Starne's barbecued hams are good) but this Kroger ham is still quite good. They could have spiral sliced it a bit farther into the meat, but I can slice the rest myself.

And of course need to get the sink cleared.
    Hi Again
    Well I would say our chance of rain was 100% since it already fell overnight :)
    I did put the folding Umbrella in my pocket just in case it returned while I was out walking. I was out almost 2 Hours walking and no rain, not even a light mist. However I just know if I did not have the Umbrella with me that it would have rained on me.

Since it is so nice outdoors I pulled the Geranium out of the Laundry room and put it on the closed in porch to get whatever sun there is. It seems to be happy with the way I am handling it as it never bloomed this well when it was outside hanging on the hook all summer.

I would have called the Jowl Bacon thusly.
    Guanciale (pronounced gwan-CHAH-leh) means pillow in Italian. It also means wicked badass cured pork cheek or jowl. If you've never had this amazing concoction of fatty, porky sweet and salty goodness I encourage you all to run to your local salumi purveyor and get some now.

Guanciale is a lovely creation from the aforementioned jowl of our porcine friends. It has a texture and consistency much like bacon but the depth of flavor if much greater. It compares well to pancetta and can either be eaten raw if sliced thinly or cut thick and pan fried to add depth and flavor to many dishes. It is an indispensable tool in the Italian chef's arsenal of ingredients. It can be used for a flavoring for stews or soups and as a featured ingredient in many pasta preparations such as Bucatini all'Amatriciana (see recipe below) or Spaghetti Carbonara.

OTOH if they sliced it to the bone it would most likely not hold it's shape.
    In the past I have taken Spiral Sliced Ham, Crisped it in the Skillet and used it in Sandwiches for lunchtime at work.

Have a Nice Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Lee-Ann
  • parityanimal
    Oh, when I said they didn't seem to have properly sliced the ham, I meant they only did like half of it. The first half, starting where the half ham was cut in two, was nicely sliced, pretty much down to the bone, but they seem to have just stopped slicing about halfway through so that the second half wasn't sliced at all and I had to slice that myself. I think this ham might have satisfied both you and your brother, Roger, since part was pre-sliced and part was not. LOL. There was even a nice layer of fat on one side that he could have cut off to fry.

Since I can't slice as thinly as the automatic, pre-sliced part, chunks for future soups will likely com from the part I had to slice myself, and the rest can be sandwiches, fried ham and eggs, or just sliced ham for dinner.

• RogerToo
    Oh, when I said they didn't seem to have properly sliced the ham, I meant they only did like half of it. The first half, starting where the half ham was cut in two, was nicely sliced, pretty much down to the bone, but they seem to have just stopped slicing about halfway through so that the second half wasn't sliced at all and I had to slice that myself. I think this ham might have satisfied both you and your brother, Roger, since part was pre-sliced and part was not. LOL. There was even a nice layer of fat on one side that he could have cut off to fry.

Since I can't slice as thinly as the automatic, pre-sliced part, chunks for future soups will likely com from the part I had to slice myself, and the rest can be sandwiches, fried ham and eggs, or just sliced ham for dinner.
    Hi Ed
    You could be right that we would both be happy with it. FWIW Except for one small portion of Ham in the refrigerator the rest has been broken down into Portions sized for me and Portion sized for him, Vacuum sealed and into the freezer. I also took the 4 big wedges of the Rum Cake I froze Yesterday and Vacuum sealed them too. If he had thought to mention it I could have frozen the rest of the Mashed Potatoes too.
    My Slicing skills leave something to be desired too :)

Ever since deep fried Pig Skin became popular AKA Chicharones or Cracklins, Fried Pork Skins IOWs None of the Hams have had any skin on them worth mentioning.

Have a Nice Evening
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Dinner tonight was a tasty black bean and ham soup. Wine of choice was Purple Toad Black Shadow. Very fruity, yet still quite dry. I wish I had purchased more than one bottle of it while I was in Paducah.

Next time I will buy more than one bottle!

20161227_183133_zpsexuxj4ry.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi Everybody
    I was out walking Today for 9K of steps. I stopped at the Grocery store for Seven Bananas, a Cup of Ruby Red Grapefruit slices and a pack of White Meat Chicken since today is Wednesday and the 10% Senior Discount. Outdoors it is a gray looking day some precipitation in the forecast for Tomorrow. Traffic on the roads is still light this morning. Temps out the door was 38 degrees a fair drop from yesterday, oh well, Back to seasonal temperatures :)

While walking the other day I saw one of the Vultures that live in this area feeding.

Have a Good Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    bH3Kbz.jpg

Jkn04Y.jpg

6ED0p5.jpg

yeN5T9.jpg

DCJlRp.jpg

eHtcCQ.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

Wednesday already. How time flies. Nearly New Years now! I've got everything for New Years dinner ready to roll.

Speaking of rolling, I need to roll out to Kroger for a few groceries, and to Publix to pick up a prescription.

Later y'all!

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• GardenKatGardens
    And another one rolls...out for paper towels and other items.... :)

Had my greens, beans, onions & mushroom breakfast, along with half an orange sweet potato...and a banana. That should keep me going til mid afternoon!!!

Roger, I concur with the Ink Pen cartoon, and loved the watermelon cake...wonder what the frosting was??? And I've NEVER run across a 'snaky bank'...well, maybe when lived in NJ! :)

Having my cup of green tea & lemon before I head out the door. I see that Aldi's has organic banana's on sale for $0.49/lb...may stop in there tomorrow!

Happy Birthday to my Nate...today he is 11. hardly seems possible!

Have a great day everyone, Roger you are my walking hero! (oh, and I did get to the bike yesterday! )

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Walked two supermarkets and topped it off with 20 minutes on the bike.
    Wait for it.......tomorrow could be a bear! LOL!!!
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Hi Folks,

Had a variation of "ink's law" and "ink's corollary" (courtesy of Roger) here: time but no access to the computer (typically happens when in the shower...), or access, but no time (typically when doing work on the computer). I had to complete grades on the computer - did that, but then didn't get to see you folks. And...I made a grading error for one of the students, so I have to wait until the university reopens after winter break to correct it. I hope she isn't stressing too bad. I have never done this before (erroneously gave her a lower grade), but I am sure I am not the first to do that!0

Also busy and distracted...my youngest (24 yo daughter) is leaving for Thailand on Monday to do a semester abroad - so I am trying to get things completed. And arguing with her...I think it is a mechanism to keep from realizing how much I will miss her and will worry about her. She is just so excited...

Otherwise...no excuses. Thinking of you folks and my not checking in or checking on all of you. Happy b-day to Nate, Val.

Stay warm folks, and if I miss seeing you again for Jan. 1 - have a happy and healthy NY to all!
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking Today for 9.6K of steps. Since today's forecast was for Snow turning to rain depending on where the snow line started and I was having trouble falling back to sleep I decided let me get a early start on my walking. Success, I beat the weather back home. One thing that made me get going was the Porch showing 31 degrees. Outdoors it is a gray looking day and as of 8AM some precipitation is falling. From looking at the Weather report it appears that we are on the line between Snow and Rain, just as well I did get out early. Traffic on the roads was still light this morning. The traffic reports mention slippery going to the north and west.

While walking past the Brook below the dam the lights from the park looked nice reflected on it and then as I approached the lake I said to myself "What the heck is that floating on the surface", Surprising me it turned out to be lots of Geese sitting and swimming there. I see them flying overhead mornings with their non melodious honking noise, I did not recall seeing them in the lake like that, usually I see them walking in the park or flying overhead :)

Have a Good Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited December 2016
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

Wednesday already. How time flies. Nearly New Years now! I've got everything for New Years dinner ready to roll.

Speaking of rolling, I need to roll out to Kroger for a few groceries, and to Publix to pick up a prescription.

Later y'all!
    Hi Ed
    My Brother gave me a heads, up rather than buying Frozen Horse Divers AKA Hors d'oeuvres which is his habit, he says he is planning on buying one of my weaknesses, A Pizza :(:)

Sundays Big Meal may will most likely be left overs pulled from the freezer, Turkey & or Ham and mashed Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    And another one rolls...out for paper towels and other items.... :)

Had my greens, beans, onions & mushroom breakfast, along with half an orange sweet potato...and a banana. That should keep me going til mid afternoon!!!

Roger, I concur with the Ink Pen cartoon, and loved the watermelon cake...wonder what the frosting was??? And I've NEVER run across a 'snaky bank'...well, maybe when lived in NJ! :)

Having my cup of green tea & lemon before I head out the door. I see that Aldi's has organic banana's on sale for $0.49/lb...may stop in there tomorrow!

Happy Birthday to my Nate...today he is 11. hardly seems possible!

Have a great day everyone, Roger you are my walking hero! (oh, and I did get to the bike yesterday! )

Later...
    Walked two supermarkets and topped it off with 20 minutes on the bike.
    Wait for it.......tomorrow could be a bear! LOL!!!

Hi Val
    I was thinking just plain Butter Cream frosting. I guess if You only ate the Fruits it could be called a healthy cake :)

I was wondering just how inorganic the non organic bananas are, any ideas? $0.49 sounds like a Good price for organic fruit.

Good Luck, Hopefully You are fine after all that exercise
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Had a variation of "ink's law" and "ink's corollary" (courtesy of Roger) here: time but no access to the computer (typically happens when in the shower...), or access, but no time (typically when doing work on the computer). I had to complete grades on the computer - did that, but then didn't get to see you folks. And...I made a grading error for one of the students, so I have to wait until the university reopens after winter break to correct it. I hope she isn't stressing too bad. I have never done this before (erroneously gave her a lower grade), but I am sure I am not the first to do that!0

Also busy and distracted...my youngest (24 yo daughter) is leaving for Thailand on Monday to do a semester abroad - so I am trying to get things completed. And arguing with her...I think it is a mechanism to keep from realizing how much I will miss her and will worry about her. She is just so excited...

Otherwise...no excuses. Thinking of you folks and my not checking in or checking on all of you. Happy b-day to Nate, Val.

Stay warm folks, and if I miss seeing you again for Jan. 1 - have a happy and healthy NY to all!

Hi Lee-Ann
    I'm sure You are not the first, we all make errors :)

I hope Your Daughter has a Safe, Healthy & Happy trip.

If We do not see You before, Happy New Year.

There was a raw edge in the air when I was out walking and that was before the precipitation had started.

Stay Safe & Warm
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

I've been up for hours, but distracted by all the usual stuff.

I finished off the first season of Supergirl last night. The second season isn't available on DVD or BluRay yet, so I'll have to wait to catch up on that. I understand the second season the series was picked up by a different network and production moved to Toronto, and this will cause at least one casting change, as Callista Flockhart apparently can't be in Toronto all the time to film, and Kara/Supergirl will have a new boss at her job, while the old boss takes a sabbatical, leaving it open for her return occasionally. That should be interesting in itself as old boss just gave Kara a sort of blank-check promotion in which Kara is supposed to decide for herself exactly what her job is, and how she can best contribute to the media company, though she's not actually getting more money...but if she has a new boss, can she still do that?