Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Ok, lets see if I can repeat my magic from yesterday? or Friday? Well, no matter, first is Tom E. Cat asking to go outside...only the last 2 or 3 times, he sniffs the wet chilly air and changes his mind! 4s5lnasl68ij.jpg
    Will send my dinner separately, as still not quite sure this will handle big uploads?? Although Roger seems to be able to send multi pix...
    Hi Valerie
    I cheat and use a image hosting site to host the images and all that is in the posts are links to the images there. That makes it easier for me IMO :)

Wet chilly air would make me think twice before heading out the door too :)
    And my New Years Day Dinner..
    Black eyed peas, cooked with mireoix....and collards that steamed for about 10-12 minutes in a pot with slow cooked caramelized onion, apple cider vinegar and a touch of brown sugar. That was the entire recipe...I was sure there wouldn't be enough liquid, so I added a splash of Veg. Broth as 'insurance'. Carrots roasted and glazed with a little honey, and under it all is the rice. Obviously I made a New Years Wealth and Prosperity BOWL, not a plate. Followed the directions for a New Orleans Style meal...its good!!!! And I will be more than happy to eat them again tomorrow with the corn muffins I will make from scratch.
    ogz6hxk7laym.jpg

(notice no oil, butter, salt, etc. )peas had red pepper, bay leaf, thyme, for seasoning.. WOW!
    That sounds tasty to me. I hope YOur muffins come out OK, As I remember this is a new recipe for You?

Have a Nice Evening
    Roger
    And my New Years Day Dinner..
    Black eyed peas, cooked with mireoix....and collards that steamed for about 10-12 minutes in a pot with slow cooked caramelized onion, apple cider vinegar and a touch of brown sugar. That was the entire recipe...I was sure there wouldn't be enough liquid, so I added a splash of Veg. Broth as 'insurance'. Carrots roasted and glazed with a little honey, and under it all is the rice. Obviously I made a New Years Wealth and Prosperity BOWL, not a plate. Followed the directions for a New Orleans Style meal...its good!!!! And I will be more than happy to eat them again tomorrow with the corn muffins I will make from scratch.
    ogz6hxk7laym.jpg

(notice no oil, butter, salt, etc. )peas had red pepper, bay leaf, thyme, for seasoning.. WOW!

Mine still has a couple of hours to go, but I tasted the broth's and made some seasoning adjustments.

J's black eyed peas are nice and spicy. I think he'll like them. Mine are not quite as spicy but are loaded with ham, as there was more left on that bone than I thought! Not that I have any problem with that...both the ham and the beans are good proteins and the beans are a great starch.

My greens are tasting OK. Might need to do just a hair more adjustment before serving...
    Hi Ed
    When My Brother makes a pot using Dried Beans and the Ham Bone he also throws in a chunk of Ham that ends up so cooked it more or less shreds from the stirring.

I suspect that the big error many cooks make is one that You avoided. They do not seem to taste things.

FWIW I like this show and it starts the New season tonight.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/worst-cooks-in-america.html
    It's Rachael vs. Anne Again
    Find out more details about the January 1 premiere episode.
    It airs on the Food Network Channel, 9PM followed by Cooks vs Cons where the judges have to pick the winner. if the winning chef is a Professional Cook they win $10,000, however if the Winning Chef is a Non Professional Con Artist masquerading as a Professional Chef they win $15,000 :)
    I like both of those as well as the 8PM show "Guys Grocery Games" which thanks to the magic of a DVR I can record at the same time as Hee Haw on RFDTV.

Have a Nice Evening
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,226 Member
    edited January 2017
    Well, I normally like my black eyed peas dumped on top of a slab of cornbread, but since J is home, I didn't make cornbread, but instead made an evil spoon bread/corn pudding casserole, and did NOT put any beans on top of that, just butter.

Dinner tonight:

Black eyed peas with ham and hog jowl (for me)
    Spicy vegan black eyed peas (for J)
    Vegan collard greens (for both of us)
    Spoon bread/corn pudding casserole
    Fried potatoes (mostly for J, but I ate a small serving)

20170101_183332_zpsmlavaumm.jpg

Wine of choice:

Plaza de la Reina, Monastrell/Tempranillo, 2014, Spain

20170101_171954_zps70tturck.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Important news update! J said the greens were good. GOOD! Not just edible, but GOOD! Well, you could have knocked Eduardo over with a feather...

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    LOVE IT!, but don't knock Eduardo over with anything...broken bones hurt!!! :)
    Greens are great! Since J liked the microgreens you grew, why not try a mix of greens, I often will use spinach, (beet greens, turnip greens, swiss chard,), as well as torn arugula, and several other 'lettuces'... cooked with onion, garlic, hot sauce if you must!, and other seasonings of choice they're fantastic.
    But not worth being knocked over by feathers!! LOL!!! Glad J liked them!
    I need somebody to come do kitchen duty...............

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Roger...."I cheat and use a image hosting site to host the images and all that is in the posts are links to the images there. That makes it easier for me IMO :)" whaaaat????
    You're way beyond me! I took the pix, emailed them to myself, pulled them out of the email onto my desk top, and dropped them into the posts. We didn't have that nice feature on the NS site, and mine would never be the right size, etc...so I just gave up! This has turned out to be real simple for dummies like me!!! :):)

The cooking shows sound interesting...I'd probably enjoy them at least for awhile. Probably wouldn't see many veggies there either! :)

Later...
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Hi Folks,

You all had such healthy and delicious looking and sounding dinners last night. Me? We took our daughter out for a going away dinner to a steak house (her choice) - can't say it was the healthiest thing - too heavy, etc. But I did skip the chocolate cake after!

For those who watch QVC, it (apparently) had Marie O doing NS last night. Well, my sister had been watching and contemplating NS. She called me, asked questions, I encouraged her, etc. She called me awhile later to say she was talking on-air with Marie about NS, asking questions. Told her about her sister, a nurse (me) who liked the program, etc. My sister ended up buying. I wish I had seen the segment - I would have enjoyed listening to my sister on the phone. She lives in Mass. and I don't get to see her much. I hope it works out for her!

Early morning rain here and I am getting ready to leave for the airport with my daughter. It reminds me of the scene near the end of the movie "The Parent Trap" (the remake with Lindsay Lohan, not the original with Haley Mills playing the girls). At the end of the moving one of the twins is heading back to London with their mom - and leaving for the airport during a rain. The father and other twin remain back at the US home, teary-eyed. That's me today - teary-eyed as my daughter leaves for the other side of the world for several months. Here she comes...time to go.
  • GardenKatGardens
    Oh Lee-Ann. What a wonderful learning experience for your daughter...and heart wrenching giant leap for you!
    Safe trip and experience for your daughter.
    And you be careful on your way home.

Great news about your sister and NS/Marie O. Hope she embraces the plan fully, and wishing her much success.

Yep, our posts have pretty much been in the 'foodie' category! But it was mostly healthy eats, no so much fried foods, sugary treats, etc.

I've signed up for another course online...the human microbiome. Should keep me 'occupied' thru January! Its a hot topic right now, and is going to cover more than just the gut microbiome. Will let you know how that goes.

Hugs Lee-Ann...
  • RogerToo
    xcc5t6.png

98W5iJ.png

68LIRX.png

YyCKVQ.png

fkjXv6.png

3WfAyF.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning All.
    Rainy days in GA. Looked at the rain gauge already this morning, and it's showing about ¾ inch overnight! We'll take it! And rain is forecast for the next several days!

Trip into town today seeing my Chiro, and a quick run into Whole Foods. After I get home I will have to pay attention to my kitchen. The KP elves did not show overnight...so I guess I'll have to clean it myself...darn!

Going to watch The Winter Classic hockey game today...this is normally on New Years, but for some reason its today. I dunno...but its the St. Louis Blues playing, in St. Louis, so I will enjoy it. DS1 is the family Blues hockey fan... Yesterday was Detroit RedWings..DS2's team, and was a real WOW game after slow beginning. Score was 1-0 Detroit for a long time, and I quit watching...then Toronto quickly scored 4 goals, while I wasn't watching...Ted texted to tell me about that...so I continued not watching...and then I got a text.."are you watching, its 4-4 one second remaining in the game. WHAT???? Sudden death OT, and Ted's Wings lost. I pretty much missed a good hockey game!!! I think my Flyers play Wednesday, indoors, regular game. Nate plays Saturday morning. :)

Ok, need to scare up some breakfast and hit the shower...not in that order!

Later...
  • RogerToo

01/01/2017 100%

Hi
    I was out walking Today for 8,564step. The temperature was 34 degrees this morning and the forecast rain arrived just as I was heading out the door :)
    It was not too bad out so I did get ny walking in. I was afraid it might be icy with slippery footing. Luckily for me that is only happening North of where I am. Traffic is very light today, It is even lighter than yesterday morning. It seemed weird to see the lightest traffic day of the Christmas to New Years holiday.

Have a Good Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Well, I normally like my black eyed peas dumped on top of a slab of cornbread, but since J is home, I didn't make cornbread, but instead made an evil spoon bread/corn pudding casserole, and did NOT put any beans on top of that, just butter.

Dinner tonight:

Black eyed peas with ham and hog jowl (for me)
    Spicy vegan black eyed peas (for J)
    Vegan collard greens (for both of us)
    Spoon bread/corn pudding casserole
    Fried potatoes (mostly for J, but I ate a small serving)

20170101_183332_zpsmlavaumm.jpg

Wine of choice:

Plaza de la Reina, Monastrell/Tempranillo, 2014, Spain

20170101_171954_zps70tturck.jpg

Hi Ed
    That looks like quite a nice meal. I would happily eat it all.
    Important news update! J said the greens were good. GOOD! Not just edible, but GOOD! Well, you could have knocked Eduardo over with a feather...
    That is good news as I remember You saying J does not like Greens. I like a good Collard Greens, It is more of a You can not get good ones around here unless You want to do them Yourself. I have a suspicion that down where You are Greens and Grits are properly done in the eateries.

Last Night I watched a Guys Grocery Games AKA Triple G and the contestants had to make a Southern Burger, hence my Question, What is different about a Burger down south?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Wow, Lee! Hope NS works for your sister. It's a great program. As I recall, the biggest complaint newbies often had was the taste. I know as I was phasing it out, they had improved the taste on a lot of things, but still had some things that were a far cry from what Eduardo would have made, by the same name. But I always took the food with no expectation that it would taste like my food, because I didn't, after all, cook it! As long as one doesn't go at, for example, the meat loaf, expecting it to taste like Mom's (or one's own) meatloaf, then taken on its own terms It might be all right.

Fortunately, I was raised to eat what was put in front of me, ESPECIALLY when eating food someone else had cooked, and even though the creators of the NS foods weren't there watching while I ate it, I still kept that in mind and found that even the foods I wasn't too crazy about were usually at least edible, and I just didn't deliberately get them again if I really didn't care for them. I'm sure she'll work out which foods she loves, which are just "OK" and which she really, really doesn't care for, and which can, with a little jazzing up, be improved to be real winners!

Tell her we're all rooting for her! She has a cheerleading team!

And Roger, you are absolutely right about cooks who don't taste the food. I always taste the food, especially as it nears the end of the cooking, and adjust seasoning as I go. I know many recipes have exact quantities of spices and I'm sure if one follows that, it will produce something that is OK...but if one likes it spicier, or with a little more pepper, or sage, or rosemary, or whatever...then I say go for it! OWN that recipe, don't let it own you!

Of course if one is winging it, as Eduardo often does, then it's absolutely essential to adjust seasoning as one doesn't have a clue at the start! Well, Eduardo has experience so there is a clue, but it still needs to be checked...

Breakfast for me was a nice bowl of the black eyed peas, ham, and jowl, served as a soup, with a big spoonful of the greens on top, then all microwaved to heat it up. Delicious!

Again, I'd sort of like to get out to the store but 90% chance of rain, so unless something critical hits the shopping list, I'll probably stay in. Heaven knows I have plenty here to eat. When I checked the gauge yesterday it had shown 1 1/4 inches total over the raininess so I was rather pleased with that!

• RogerToo
    LOVE IT!, but don't knock Eduardo over with anything...broken bones hurt!!! :)
    Greens are great! Since J liked the microgreens you grew, why not try a mix of greens, I often will use spinach, (beet greens, turnip greens, swiss chard,), as well as torn arugula, and several other 'lettuces'... cooked with onion, garlic, hot sauce if you must!, and other seasonings of choice they're fantastic.
    But not worth being knocked over by feathers!! LOL!!! Glad J liked them!
    I need somebody to come do kitchen duty...............

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I would help out as I a good job of dish-washing except You already have a Dishwasher :)
    Roger...."I cheat and use a image hosting site to host the images and all that is in the posts are links to the images there. That makes it easier for me IMO :)" whaaaat????
    You're way beyond me! I took the pix, emailed them to myself, pulled them out of the email onto my desk top, and dropped them into the posts. We didn't have that nice feature on the NS site, and mine would never be the right size, etc...so I just gave up! This has turned out to be real simple for dummies like me!!! :):)

The cooking shows sound interesting...I'd probably enjoy them at least for awhile. Probably wouldn't see many veggies there either! :)

Later...
    Here is what I mean by an image hosting site :)
    10 Free Image Hosting Sites for Your Photos - LifeWire
    https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hosting-sites-3486329 - Cached
    Mar 25, 2016 ... Are you in need of a free image hosting site to share some of your favorite photos ? These sites help you share your photos fast and easily

Oh Lee-Ann. What a wonderful learning experience for your daughter...and heart wrenching giant leap for you!
    Safe trip and experience for your daughter.
    And you be careful on your way home.

Great news about your sister and NS/Marie O. Hope she embraces the plan fully, and wishing her much success.

Yep, our posts have pretty much been in the 'foodie' category! But it was mostly healthy eats, no so much fried foods, sugary treats, etc.

I've signed up for another course online...the human microbiome. Should keep me 'occupied' thru January! Its a hot topic right now, and is going to cover more than just the gut microbiome. Will let you know how that goes.

Hugs Lee-Ann...

Healthy food, what a concept :)

Enjoy Your Online course
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

You all had such healthy and delicious looking and sounding dinners last night. Me? We took our daughter out for a going away dinner to a steak house (her choice) - can't say it was the healthiest thing - too heavy, etc. But I did skip the chocolate cake after!

For those who watch QVC, it (apparently) had Marie O doing NS last night. Well, my sister had been watching and contemplating NS. She called me, asked questions, I encouraged her, etc. She called me awhile later to say she was talking on-air with Marie about NS, asking questions. Told her about her sister, a nurse (me) who liked the program, etc. My sister ended up buying. I wish I had seen the segment - I would have enjoyed listening to my sister on the phone. She lives in Mass. and I don't get to see her much. I hope it works out for her!

Early morning rain here and I am getting ready to leave for the airport with my daughter. It reminds me of the scene near the end of the movie "The Parent Trap" (the remake with Lindsay Lohan, not the original with Haley Mills playing the girls). At the end of the moving one of the twins is heading back to London with their mom - and leaving for the airport during a rain. The father and other twin remain back at the US home, teary-eyed. That's me today - teary-eyed as my daughter leaves for the other side of the world for several months. Here she comes...time to go.

Hi Lee-Ann
    Since I missed that as a non QVC watcher...
    It could have been interesting to see.

I hope it goes well for Your Sister.

Our rain here where I am started around 6:15 as I was heading out the door. Having seen the forecast I was ready, All I had to do was step back onto the closed in porch and put up the hood on the hoodie and then the hood of the Frogg Toggs Rain gear.

Best wishes for Your daughters travels
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2017
    The only thing I can think of that might define a "southern" burger as opposed to a "northern" burger might be what my mother did when I was very young, and stretched the beef a bit by making what one might really think of as a meat loaf patty from the ground meat. It wasn't served as meatloaf and really didn't taste like it though. So the burger wasn't just beef, but beef with bread crumbs, spices, herbs, maybe some onion and/or bell pepper mixed in, and an egg in the whole batch, to help hold it together, formed into a burger patty and fried up, served on a bun with all the condiments desired. The bread crumbs (or cracker crumbs) were the main filler, of course.

We like them, but I haven't made a burger like that in ages.

Lee-Ann, prayers that your daughter's travels will be safe. I'm sure she'll contact you often.

• GardenKatGardens
    Before I forget again today...
    NS gift cards are on sale at COSTCO...

Now, gotta run...I don't see any thing bad on Ga Navigator, but things can happen quickly.

Later...
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Hi Again,

Well...the trip for my daughter to Thailand by way of a connection in Doha, Qatar is not off to a good start. The flight out of Phila was cancelled for mechanical problems on the plane (I appreciate the cancellation for that reason!). But she is to be there sometime tomorrow, and all flights are now getting into Wednesday - and she is not a good one for stressful situations...Val, thanks for the hugs. I need them!

Speaking of Val - and for my sister, I saw the post about Costco cards on sale, but I just checked the Costco site and do not see the sale price. As I recall, they show up as regular price ($79.99) until you get to check out - but it did not change for me.

Will check back - have to see about the Thailand daughter,
    Lee-Ann

• GardenKatGardens
    edited January 2017
    Lee-Ann...some days it seems as though it was a mistake to get out of bed??? So sorry...more hugs if you need them.
    Roger is the one to ask about the Costco cards and NS. I've never used them. I do shop Costco, so that's where I saw a big display of the cards I THINK...the sale price of the card is $79 buys $100.00 at NS????? Like I said Roger is your 'go to' guy for that.

I was lucky, didn't rain on me. Its foggy, not cold enough for a coat, so my sweater was fine, Got that hip adjusted...again. I can tell when its out of whack....I get knee pain in my right knee if I try to step up even a little bitty step like 2-3 inches. Sharp ouchie! So, got that taken care of. Stopped at Whole Foods...hit the hot bar..they had fresh out of the kitchen Chicken Fried Tofu, Mac and Cheeze that didn't set your mouth on fire. I think they moved somebody out of the kitchen...hasn't been pepper hot for several visits now, AND at the hot bar they had Vegan Corn Bread! You may recall that was my chore today...to make corn muffins....ho, ho, ho...can put up my apron for today!! What I forgot was to pick up 2-3 banana's...oh, well..I have grapefruits, and oranges, and apples, grapes, etc..so I won't die from lack of fruit before Wednesday. :)

Hockey's on!! Later...
  • parityanimal
    I stayed in. Maybe tomorrow. Rain gauge is looking quite happy out there!

Lilo kindly let me go back to bed and nap and didn't follow me, so I got in a good, long nap. I cleared the sink once today but need to do it again after J finishes his very late lunch of leftover Indian food from the other day.

My lunch was late too, but not THAT late. I had some more of the black eyed peas (dumped the rest of the spicy ones in with the other, as J doesn't want any more) and another big spoonful of greens, and a small serving of the corn pudding.

All of my new year food was relatively healthy, even the ham in the peas, as it was very lean and didn't add much of a layer of fat on top, so everything was healthy except for the corn pudding which starts with a whole stick of butter...and is not anything anyone could call terribly healthy, though I DO substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream, which saves quite a few fat calories and, in my opinion, doesn't affect the taste, or not enough for anyone to care about.

But that's why the corn pudding is being served in small portions! Moderation in everything, you know.

Sorry to hear of the plane delays but better late than not at all, and better safe!