Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Wednesday Morning...
    52 as mentioned, all day long 52 until after dark...then comes the colder temps! I can deal with that! Maybe even a peek at the sun after about 1-2p. this after!!! Nice!

I'll be shopping today...anyone surprised? Like Ed need to check the fliers for Kroger, and I'll take a look at Publix, and Aldi...know what's nice about Aldi??...they give you the current week, and the week to come...so you can do a better job of meal planning! I wish all the grocers were so considerate.

Ok, my coffee is cold, and I need to check those ads and get self cleaned up....

Later...
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,226 Member
    What is this "meal planning" you speak of? Eduardo rarely plans any meal more than a few days in advance, and that is only if something has to be thawed to prepare it...holiday meals excepted, of course.

Speaking of meals though, I just took the pound or so of good, shredded barbecue out of the freezer to thaw. That was from the big family barbecue meal we had at my sister's house in Paducah. I can make some baked beans to go with it and it should feed me for at least 3 or 4 meals.

I admit to being bad at the store yesterday. I bought another package of sliced jowl bacon. The hillbilly in me loves jowl bacon, fried up crisp, and it's only available at my Kroger right at the end of the year and into January if any is left unsold, but when it's gone, it's gone and won't be back until mid to late December. I thoroughly enjoyed the small amount I had left over from New Year preparations and plan to enjoy this whole package very much!

I'm sure my paternal grandmother would approve.

I also bought another of those in-store prepared, take and cook, meat loaf packages, on the Manager's Special rack. All seasoned and ready to cook, by whatever method one prefers. It's in the freezer waiting for me to feel like meatloaf, which will no doubt be soon.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I did the Three town walk today where I leave my town and clip the corners of two other towns before returning to my town. While I was out walking Today I did 9,935steps. The temperature was 42 degrees this morning and the overnight rain had stopped, However the ground was still wet and it is just now starting to dry up 2+ hours later.

Traffic was heavy and noisy due to driving on the wet roads. Later on today after a forecast high of 50 or higher a Cold front moves in with overnight lows in the 20s and a wind chill in the Teens :(

Lucky me despite a small cheat yesterday the scale was kind to me this morning. OTOH I did try and compensate for it with no afternoon snack or Evening desert and a low calorie NS Dinner Entree, The Beef Stew at 130 calories. What small cheat am I referring to ? My Brother went to a meeting yesterday and brought home some Chicken breast of which I at 1/2 as my Lunch PF and Some tasty Macaroni & Cheese :)
    From what the scale indicated this morning it appears I did a decent job of compensating.

Have a Good Wednesday
    Roge
  • RogerToo
    Well, I'm down to just ONE SERVING LEFT of the black eyed peas and ham. I finished off the greens with a serving of the peas tonight for dinner, along with a small serving of the leftover corn pudding. I think J will probably be finishing off the corn pudding tonight. He had two servings last night and there are two servings left...

I did get to the store today, and got everything on the nearly critical list, and then ordered the other things on Amazon, as I had been waiting for my pension to hit the bank, and it did so I had some money to buy things. Of course now I'm broke again, after paying outstanding bills and buying groceries and ordering stuff, but my annuity will hit in a couple of days on another account so I'll have some money to get groceries through the month, and pay the one bill remaining, which hasn't posted yet. I know how much it will be and it shouldn't be a problem.
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed
    Strangely to me the Green Hornet seems to be one of the harder to find old time radio shows.

Roger

Really? I googled Green Hornet Radio Show and got lots of hits, and also it seems to be rather widely available on Amazon. Maybe it's just putting in the right term?
    Hi Ed
    Finding shows that I could buy is easy, I look for free Public Domain shows since I am cheap AKA Frugal.

I am still waiting for my Pension check. They usually wait until the 1st to mail it. I suspect it will be in the mail today.
    Oh, and the Green Hornet video serial probably wouldn't translate well to audio only. It's very visual.
    That is good to know. BTW there are lots of old Movies, Serials, as well as Old Time radio shows available on a public Domain Website that us donation supported. Here:
    https://archive.org/post/261365/movie-serials-at-the-internet-archive
    This is a list of complete movie serials here at IA:

Note: 3/15/10 Changed link To Jungle Jim to show that the serial has Spanish subtitles.
    3/30/10 Fixed link to second copy of Batman serial. Added link to second copy of The Adventures of Captain Marvel. Added links to lone chapters of Batman and Zorro's Black Whip.
    4/7/10 Fixed link to The Vigilantes Are Coming.
    4/23/10 Added third copy of Flash Gordon.
    6/8/10 Added links to lone episodes of Les Vampires and Flash Gordon. Noted removal of Flash Gordon (third copy). Added Adventures of Rex and Rinty.
    6/30/10 Added link to The Green Hornet Strikes Again! (second copy).
    7/1/10 Noted removals of Batman, Flash Gordon, Flying Disc Man from Mars, Superman serials, and Batman Chapter 7.
    7/4/10 Added link to Secret Agent X-9.
    8/19/10 Added link to The Lone Ranger.
    11/14/10 Added links to lone episodes of The Green Hornet Strikes Again!
    2/6/11 Added links to The New Adventures of Tarzan, The Adventures of Rex and Rinty (second copy), The Law of the Wild, and Winners of the West (chapters 1 - 12 of 13).
    3/25/11 Winners of the West complete.
    8/7/11 Added The Miracle Rider and Fighting with Kit Carson.

Maybe You could find shows here to help save $$
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

High today is supposed to be 50 and it's ALREADY THERE. Low tonight, 32 so I expect the day will show a cooling trend all day long.

Being that it IS Wednesday, I suppose I should check out the Kroger flyer online to see what's on sale this week.

Finished off the black eyed pea and ham soup for breakfast. The bone in that ham was pretty small, so I'd say with the two pounds of barbecued ham from Paducah, and the 9.06 pound ham I cooked, minus the rendered fat and the bone, I think I ate about 10 pounds of ham over the holiday.

I don't think I want any more ham for a while...at least a month!

Well, need to clear the sink...
    Our daytime high has not arrived yet, it is supposed to hit 50 or so later then plunge.
    What is this "meal planning" you speak of? Eduardo rarely plans any meal more than a few days in advance, and that is only if something has to be thawed to prepare it...holiday meals excepted, of course.

Speaking of meals though, I just took the pound or so of good, shredded barbecue out of the freezer to thaw. That was from the big family barbecue meal we had at my sister's house in Paducah. I can make some baked beans to go with it and it should feed me for at least 3 or 4 meals.

I admit to being bad at the store yesterday. I bought another package of sliced jowl bacon. The hillbilly in me loves jowl bacon, fried up crisp, and it's only available at my Kroger right at the end of the year and into January if any is left unsold, but when it's gone, it's gone and won't be back until mid to late December. I thoroughly enjoyed the small amount I had left over from New Year preparations and plan to enjoy this whole package very much!

I'm sure my paternal grandmother would approve.

I also bought another of those in-store prepared, take and cook, meat loaf packages, on the Manager's Special rack. All seasoned and ready to cook, by whatever method one prefers. It's in the freezer waiting for me to feel like meatloaf, which will no doubt be soon.
    Nothing wrong with buying something You like as long as You afford it :)
    My brother checks the manager discount sections whenever he goes to the Grocery Store too.

Enjoy the BBQ and the Meatloaf
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Wednesday Morning...
    52 as mentioned, all day long 52 until after dark...then comes the colder temps! I can deal with that! Maybe even a peek at the sun after about 1-2p. this after!!! Nice!

I'll be shopping today...anyone surprised? Like Ed need to check the fliers for Kroger, and I'll take a look at Publix, and Aldi...know what's nice about Aldi??...they give you the current week, and the week to come...so you can do a better job of meal planning! I wish all the grocers were so considerate.

Ok, my coffee is cold, and I need to check those ads and get self cleaned up....

Later...

Hi Valerie
    That is a nice touch, we do get the upcoming weeks sale fliers on Thursday so it could be worse.

I would have to heat the coffee, there is something about cold coffee I can not drink.

Good Luck Shopping
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    When I did my search, that seemed to indicate a number of opportunities to listen to the Green Hornet radio series for free, it looked like this:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=green hornet radio show

You might have luck on some of those links.
  • parityanimal
    Yay! I found a package of 3 pork cubed steak on the manager's special rack, for just $2.25! Three meals will come out of that.
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hi...
    Costco for the big pound box of 'Olivia's Organic Spinach', (and yes I save the boxes, well some of them for my Olivia)...bag of prunes, my night time treat, and they didn't have the bread! What?? Not happy about that. Then on to Kroger... Question...is everything on the managers special meat? I remember it being there when I worked at the Starbucks kiosk. But if its all meat, no sense in hunting for it...:)
    Did well with my list, have lots of Irish potatoes, sweet potatoes, greens, salad stuff, baby carrots to roast, etc. A bag of lemons that were on special...then... The ad shows calendulas 4 for $5.00, but they rang up for 2.29 apiece???? No, no, nope...I showed her the ad, and she deleted and rang them manually so that I got the right price....I think the lady behind me was shooting me eyeball daggers, but..SHE MISSED!! LOL! I was sorry she had to wait the extra couple minutes, but hey....sale price is sale price. They are beautiful plants! healthy as all get out. Will keep them in the kitchen window for now, then about 6 weeks or so...out they'll go, and they'll do well til hot weather. (Occasionally there will be one or two that actually survive the summer heat, and come back to bloom next winter....)

Have eaten my lunch, which was spinach for greens and the last of the black eyed peas, and the other piece of the cornbread

Next stop will be Aldi's and then Publix for my lottery ticket. Haven't bought one for quite awhile...today's the day to resume!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Meat, poultry, seafood, deli, dairy and bakery all have "WooHoo" or "Manager's Special" items that are discounted because of being close to (or at) sell-by date. There are sometimes some fruit or vegetables that are past prime but still useable that are marked down as well.

It would be impractical to try to put all these in the same location together as the number, and types, of items varies in each department on a day to day basis.

The meat on special is in the same meat area every day, if there IS any, and if there isn't, then that area is used for something they have extra of. The poultry is usually in the poultry bin, rather than on the rack, but that may vary, and the seafood is just at the front of the other seafood. The deli items may be in the hot rack or in the cold racks, usually more in the cold racks but not at any special location, just in with like items, and the dairy is the same, while the bakery stuff is on a special wooden rack or two that sits at the back behind the deli/bakery area, off to one side slightly, but easily accessible. Any fruit or vegetables will be in the produce department somewhere.

I sometimes see items out in the main aisles also marked down, like commercial loaves of bread or packages of buns and maybe chips, snacks, crackers or cookies if someone has noticed they are about to expire, though that sort of thing often gets overlooked until AFTER expiration at which time they can't sell it, even at a discount.

So...to shop for the marked down items, you might have to poke around a bit to see if there even ARE any for a given area, and then sift through them to see if there's anything you actually want.

Sometimes there's a plethora of baked goods, and sometimes nothing, or very little. I do know at my Kroger one of the food banks comes to pick up excess/about to expire/expired baked goods on Wednesday or Thursday and the rack is usually pretty barren for a day or two thereafter.

Most of the time I don't see anything I want in areas other than meat, occasionally seafood, and rarely bakery or deli. If I happen to see something in another area, like dairy, and know that I will use the whole thing within a day or two, then I'll buy it. With some snacks and crackers, they will stay fresh for MONTHS after the "best by" date and if I catch them on markdown and know it's something I'll use, they will go in the cart too.

• RogerToo
    When I did my search, that seemed to indicate a number of opportunities to listen to the Green Hornet radio series for free, it looked like this:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=green hornet radio show

You might have luck on some of those links.
    Hi Ed
    I am guessing You use Chrome?
    I tried Your Link as is and nothing, Then I tried green%20hornet%20radio%20show and no luck then I tried it as green hornet radio show and that finally worked. I had searched archive.org before with no luck. This time i found a zip file here with 67 episodes, Yea

FWIW I use Firefox and Internet Explorer or its replacement Microsoft Edge :)

Thanks You it worked in the end
    Yay! I found a package of 3 pork cubed steak on the manager's special rack, for just $2.25! Three meals will come out of that.
    Nice Score on a bargain. Much of the meats my brother buys come as 1/2 price managers specials.

Have a Nice Day, Stay Warm
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi...
    Costco for the big pound box of 'Olivia's Organic Spinach', (and yes I save the boxes, well some of them for my Olivia)...bag of prunes, my night time treat, and they didn't have the bread! What?? Not happy about that. Then on to Kroger... Question...is everything on the managers special meat? I remember it being there when I worked at the Starbucks kiosk. But if its all meat, no sense in hunting for it...:)
    Did well with my list, have lots of Irish potatoes, sweet potatoes, greens, salad stuff, baby carrots to roast, etc. A bag of lemons that were on special...then... The ad shows calendulas 4 for $5.00, but they rang up for 2.29 apiece???? No, no, nope...I showed her the ad, and she deleted and rang them manually so that I got the right price....I think the lady behind me was shooting me eyeball daggers, but..SHE MISSED!! LOL! I was sorry she had to wait the extra couple minutes, but hey....sale price is sale price. They are beautiful plants! healthy as all get out. Will keep them in the kitchen window for now, then about 6 weeks or so...out they'll go, and they'll do well til hot weather. (Occasionally there will be one or two that actually survive the summer heat, and come back to bloom next winter....)

Have eaten my lunch, which was spinach for greens and the last of the black eyed peas, and the other piece of the cornbread

Next stop will be Aldi's and then Publix for my lottery ticket. Haven't bought one for quite awhile...today's the day to resume!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    The Local Shoprite has several areas for marked down items, usually marked down at 1/2 price. Meats in the meat area, In the front of the store a Refrigerator that holds refrigerated items that can be lunch meats, Salads, Desserts, Sandwiches etc. Then in the back corner of the store is a stand alone shelf that holds other types of things. For example My brother brought home some of the wraps I use that were 1/2 price and they usually have Produce on a separate shelf too. You do need to check them carefully, however 1/2 price or better is worth the trouble.

I have done that sort of thing too when something rings up wrong. I feel bad for the people in line behind me, However money is money.

Have a nice night
    Roger
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Hi All,

I guess it was nice while it lasted...the 50 degree temps, that it. We are back to the frigid cold, so I am back to hibernating.

I am happy to say my daughter made it to Boston, then to Doha, Qatar, then (finally) to Bangkok, Thailand. I haven't heard since she got her feet on the Thai ground, but I suppose it is good. Maybe she made it to the apartment, etc. It is amazing that she could use Facebook to call me on the phone and I could hear her voice. How did our parents do it not being able to hear until they received a letter from us (or, if we were lucky, an eventual call from a pay phone that cost a fortune)?

I saw a mention of the durian fruit - that is one of the fruits my daughter has been talking about. She has told us that some folks find it the "stinkiest" fruit on the planet, while other people have a different response - all depending on the genetic or physical make up of the person. There are lots of other fruits too - but I do not recall what they are.

Val, you mentioned the mis-pricing of the calendula. At our supermarkets, if something is priced one way but rings up higher you get the first of that item free, then the correct price on the remaining items. I sometimes take a photograph of the price tag (shelf label) and compare at the end of the ringing up so I can compare - then go collect my "winnings" at customer service for any errors. I also learned that if I correct the cashier so the correct price is rung up, I do not get the free item - so I wait to do it at customer service. On pricier items, it can be a help.

Ed - I am like Eduardo - not much meal planning. I used to enjoy doing that (years ago), but after everyone wanted their own thing, I just eventually stopped...and kind of now have a catch as catch can, although there is food, just not as planned.

Time to move on - and bundle up. Stay warm all,
    Lee-Ann
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's 30 degrees out there! Supposed to get to 53 today, but I'm not getting out in it yet.

Lilo has been fed but she's already lurking in the kitchen to see what I'm having, which is leftover barbecue from Paducah, that I thawed up.

• parityanimal
    edited January 2017
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I guess it was nice while it lasted...the 50 degree temps, that it. We are back to the frigid cold, so I am back to hibernating.

I am happy to say my daughter made it to Boston, then to Doha, Qatar, then (finally) to Bangkok, Thailand. I haven't heard since she got her feet on the Thai ground, but I suppose it is good. Maybe she made it to the apartment, etc. It is amazing that she could use Facebook to call me on the phone and I could hear her voice. How did our parents do it not being able to hear until they received a letter from us (or, if we were lucky, an eventual call from a pay phone that cost a fortune)?

Ed - I am like Eduardo - not much meal planning. I used to enjoy doing that (years ago), but after everyone wanted their own thing, I just eventually stopped...and kind of now have a catch as catch can, although there is food, just not as planned.

Lee-Ann

Glad to know your daughter made it through all those places and finally got there! I'm sure she'll have a great time in Thailand. I've always wanted to go there and I know I'd go nuts with all the exotic food and beautiful architecture.

On the meal planning front, as long as I keep a well stocked kitchen and freezer, I can always come up with something to eat, especially with modern conveniences like microwave ovens that can be used to quickly thaw something. Of course I'd rather let things thaw naturally in the refrigerator, but as long as I cook it immediately after microwave thawing, it's OK for most items. Not sure I'd want to try that on a whole chicken though...unless I was planning to make soup, casserole, or something else that required cooking and shredding.

So meal planning might consist of taking the turkey or ham out of the deep freeze to thaw for several days, knowing in advance what day I'm planning to cook it, or soaking some dried beans overnight to make crock-pot chili or bean soup the next day, or specifically buying a certain cut of meat with the plan to cook it the next night.

I guess you COULD call buying a ham while it's on sale and then putting it in the freezer for a future holiday that's months away meal planning...but I don't really think of it that way. I just think of that as being frugal.

Even when I plan a meal it never seems to end up as exactly what I planned. Plans change at the last moment or new ideas pop up and some of the planned items get replaced with something else, or another vegetable side is added on.

At least it keeps mealtime interesting since often I don't even know what's for dinner until I go in there and let Eduardo loose!

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking Today and I did 7.4K steps. The temperature was 28 degrees this morning a fair decrease from yesterday morning and a somewhat bitter feel to it due to the breeze.

Later on overnight we have snow in the forecast into Friday morning :(

Have a Good Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's 30 degrees out there! Supposed to get to 53 today, but I'm not getting out in it yet.

Lilo has been fed but she's already lurking in the kitchen to see what I'm having, which is leftover barbecue from Paducah, that I thawed up.
    Hi Ed
    It sounds as if You are not a lot warmer than I am here.

I am taking the Green Hornet files from Yesterday and adjusting the level so they all play back without my having to increase or decrease the volume from episode to episode. Some of them need a increase of over 7 db to keep them from playing back at to low a level. I am also adjusting them to be compatible with the iPod as it seems somewhat finicky regarding Sample rates and the bit rates. That problem or need started cropping up late last year after a iTunes update.
    Snipped

On the meal planning front, as long as I keep a well stocked kitchen and freezer, I can always come up with something to eat, especially with modern conveniences like microwave ovens that can be used to quickly thaw something. Of course I'd rather let things thaw naturally in the refrigerator, but as long as I cook it immediately after microwave thawing, it's OK for most items. Not sure I'd want to try that on a whole chicken though...unless I was planning to make soup, casserole, or something else that required cooking and shredding.

So meal planning might consist of taking the turkey or ham out of the deep freeze to thaw for several days, knowing in advance what day I'm planning to cook it, or soaking some dried beans overnight to make crock-pot chili or bean soup the next day, or specifically buying a certain cut of meat with the plan to cook it the next night.

I guess you COULD call buying a ham while it's on sale and then putting it in the freezer for a future holiday that's months away meal planning...but I don't really think of it that way. I just think of that as being frugal.

Even when I plan a meal it never seems to end up as exactly what I planned. Plans change at the last moment or new ideas pop up and some of the planned items get replaced with something else, or another vegetable side is added on.

At least it keeps mealtime interesting since often I don't even know what's for dinner until I go in there and let Eduardo loose!
    I agree, I call it frugal. We have a whole Pork Loin and three Corned Beef in the freezer currently, All bought when they were on sale at a really good price. FWIW the Pork loin will be used mainly in Sausage, The Corned Beef will be eaten as a Corned beef and the the other two will be converted into Pastrami. The Corned Beef were bought after St. Patty's Day or ahead of it when they were on sale.

I have 5 packets of Ham that I vacuum sealed using the left over Christmas Day meal Ham :)

I have been winging it for meals these days. That works for me as long as I stay in the NS plan. I use two plans one is the Maintenance plan and the other is their weight loss plan if needed due to a cheat meal or dessert. Examples of that need would be after the last three Holiday's meals :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I saw a mention of the durian fruit - that is one of the fruits my daughter has been talking about. She has told us that some folks find it the "stinkiest" fruit on the planet, while other people have a different response - all depending on the genetic or physical make up of the person. There are lots of other fruits too - but I do not recall what they are.

Val, you mentioned the mis-pricing of the calendula. At our supermarkets, if something is priced one way but rings up higher you get the first of that item free, then the correct price on the remaining items. I sometimes take a photograph of the price tag (shelf label) and compare at the end of the ringing up so I can compare - then go collect my "winnings" at customer service for any errors. I also learned that if I correct the cashier so the correct price is rung up, I do not get the free item - so I wait to do it at customer service. On pricier items, it can be a help.

Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    I agree the short warm up was nice, I just wish it had stayed around longer.

Good news that She made it to Thailand. I did not even know You could do that with FaceBook, OTOH I do not use it so that may not be so surprising.

When the get one Free if mispriced first showed up I got a lot of freebies at the Pathmark that was near me. The store is still there and even has the Pathmark signs on it. It is of course closed as are all the Pathmarks. I remember when they were the best prices in the area.

Stay Warm
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    BC9ZX8.gif
    So True :)

W8DxXo.gif

iLPiKQ.gif

Y7WOeE.gif

9VjVQj.jpg

GD42Rq.png
  • RogerToo
    vgdX7I.png

T001Z7.jpg

5T9QbS.png

JDN4gS.png

mgDLkV.jpg

pfZHFu.jpg
    Could Be :)
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning Everyone!
    Need to get into the shower..but wanted to say HI!
    Roger great cartoons...loved the dog pulling the little kid on a sled....I have a story...but not right now.....
    Ed, our weather persons have somehow let Winter Into our county... but its GA, so we will still occasionally see a warm day..just not as often as we might like!
    Lee-Ann, glad she stepped foot on Thai soil, and that you could talk to her! I'm sure she'll connect with you soon.

Shower, dress and out the door...lunch with M, trash gathered from all my small baskets, O's gymnastics...and after gymnastics, I can take the trash cart to the street, feed Tom E., feed me,

Later...