Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    The only thing I can think of that might define a "southern" burger as opposed to a "northern" burger might be what my mother did when I was very young, and stretched the beef a bit by making what one might really think of as a meat loaf patty from the ground meat. It wasn't served as meatloaf and really didn't taste like it though. So the burger wasn't just beef, but beef with bread crumbs, spices, herbs, maybe some onion and/or bell pepper mixed in, and an egg in the whole batch, to help hold it together, formed into a burger patty and fried up, served on a bun with all the condiments desired. The bread crumbs (or cracker crumbs) were the main filler, of course.

We like them, but I haven't made a burger like that in ages.

Lee-Ann, prayers that your daughter's travels will be safe. I'm sure she'll contact you often.
    Hi Ed
    Thank You for the feedback, I had an idea of what the Southwest Burger was, sort of spiced up was my guess.
    I stayed in. Maybe tomorrow. Rain gauge is looking quite happy out there!

Lilo kindly let me go back to bed and nap and didn't follow me, so I got in a good, long nap. I cleared the sink once today but need to do it again after J finishes his very late lunch of leftover Indian food from the other day.

My lunch was late too, but not THAT late. I had some more of the black eyed peas (dumped the rest of the spicy ones in with the other, as J doesn't want any more) and another big spoonful of greens, and a small serving of the corn pudding.

All of my new year food was relatively healthy, even the ham in the peas, as it was very lean and didn't add much of a layer of fat on top, so everything was healthy except for the corn pudding which starts with a whole stick of butter...and is not anything anyone could call terribly healthy, though I DO substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream, which saves quite a few fat calories and, in my opinion, doesn't affect the taste, or not enough for anyone to care about.

But that's why the corn pudding is being served in small portions! Moderation in everything, you know.

Sorry to hear of the plane delays but better late than not at all, and better safe!
    I have to agree, the stick of b utter could make it a little less than healthy if overindulged in :0

The Ham we had for Christmas Dinner of which I have several packages Vacuum sealed in the freezer show 3 ounces as a serving from the Nutrition information on the wrapper, which I saved for reference until it is used up.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Before I forget again today...
    NS gift cards are on sale at COSTCO...

Now, gotta run...I don't see any thing bad on Ga Navigator, but things can happen quickly.

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    That is a traffic site if memory serves me?
    Lee-Ann...some days it seems as though it was a mistake to get out of bed??? So sorry...more hugs if you need them.
    Roger is the one to ask about the Costco cards and NS. I've never used them. I do shop Costco, so that's where I saw a big display of the cards I THINK...the sale price of the card is $79 buys $100.00 at NS????? Like I said Roger is your 'go to' guy for that.

I was lucky, didn't rain on me. Its foggy, not cold enough for a coat, so my sweater was fine, Got that hip adjusted...again. I can tell when its out of whack....I get knee pain in my right knee if I try to step up even a little bitty step like 2-3 inches. Sharp ouchie! So, got that taken care of. Stopped at Whole Foods...hit the hot bar..they had fresh out of the kitchen Chicken Fried Tofu, Mac and Cheeze that didn't set your mouth on fire. I think they moved somebody out of the kitchen...hasn't been pepper hot for several visits now, AND at the hot bar they had Vegan Corn Bread! You may recall that was my chore today...to make corn muffins....ho, ho, ho...can put up my apron for today!! What I forgot was to pick up 2-3 banana's...oh, well..I have grapefruits, and oranges, and apples, grapes, etc..so I won't die from lack of fruit before Wednesday. :)

Hockey's on!! Later...

Hi Again
    I got all excited when You said they were on sale, then I read your next message...
    $79.99 per $100 face is their regular price, when They go on sale they have been dropping them to $59.99 for the last few sales. I am hoping they go on sale before my next order as I only have one of the $60 cards left. If not I'll order what I need at $80 each as that is still better than paying full price.

It sounds as if You were lucky at Whole Foods today. The hot food bar at the ShopRite went the other way one year and suddenly things I had been buying ahead on Sunday and freezing for work lunches were hotter than I liked. That stopped me from stocking up :(

I though I had enough Bananas to last me until Wednesday when I would buy the next batch to have some for Thursday on. Looking in the refrigerator tells me otherwise as there is only one left and I will be using that in the morning before I go out the door. I like having a Banana before I walk as it is a good finger food and easy + quick to enjoy. Not to mention they help keep me from having leg cramps in the night.

Enjoy the Hockey
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Hi Again,

Well...the trip for my daughter to Thailand by way of a connection in Doha, Qatar is not off to a good start. The flight out of Phila was cancelled for mechanical problems on the plane (I appreciate the cancellation for that reason!). But she is to be there sometime tomorrow, and all flights are now getting into Wednesday - and she is not a good one for stressful situations...Val, thanks for the hugs. I need them!

Speaking of Val - and for my sister, I saw the post about Costco cards on sale, but I just checked the Costco site and do not see the sale price. As I recall, they show up as regular price ($79.99) until you get to check out - but it did not change for me.

Will check back - have to see about the Thailand daughter,
    Lee-Ann
    Hi Lee-Ann
    I am sorry that Your daughter's trip is having complications like that. However Better safe than sorry.

I looked and when they go on sale the page indicates that before You check out. On the plus side even at their regular price You do save money. Now that they are delivered Via Email You can wait until a couple of days before You need them just in case they do go on sale. I hope they get them right off to You when You order their eGift Card as I have not tried them that way yet.

Have a Good Day, Stay dry too
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,226 Member
    I managed to get the garbage and recycle bins back up during a period when the rain was light, so didn't get too wet.

Supper tonight was more leftover beans and ham, again as a soup with a big spoonful of greens on top. It's delicious that way!

• parityanimal
    Now I've started on The Green Hornet serial from 1940!

• Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Good Morning,
    Roger, thanks for the NS card info. Yes - they are at the regular $80 for $100 in NS. If I hear anything of another sale, I will tell you.

Ed - the Green Hornet...you are really getting into these serials! I imagine they are quite enjoyable to watch. I like the black and white screen much better for these than the color (when BW shows have been "colorized"). I hope they don't try to do the coloring process with the Green Hornet - that would really ruin the great BW photography.

Val - it is back to the airport today...hopefully this daughter will make it to Thailand this time around. She arrives there Thurs morning their time which is 12 hours ahead of us. In other words, it will be tomorrow night here when she gets there. The time zone changes make this very challenging!

Take care all,
    Lee-Ann
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

High of 65 predicted today, with 20% chance of rain. I think maybe, just maybe, Eddie might make that grocery run!

But first Eddie needs to make sure I got paid...because of the new year holiday my electronic deposit was running late...OK. I looked in another tab and YES! I have some money! For a minute anyway...to be fair last month's expenditures were a little higher than normal, so I did nearly run out, but that month or so between Thanksgiving and New Years is always a slightly bigger spending period.

Buying a case of wine while in Paducah didn't help with that either, but I gave one bottle as a Christmas gift and have consumed two in the interval. And they were 20% off for Christmas week so I didn't spend quite as much on the case as I'd planned! I'm expecting that J will like some of the sweeter ones more than I, but I bought them with him in mind. And then J went to Shelbyville, KY and bought four bottles at a winery there, after asking me what I would recommend. I gave him four recommendations, two for me and two for him, and he bought all four, after tasting the two I recommended for him, to be sure he'd like them. He didn't bother taste testing my two as he figured in advance he would NOT like them.

Well, Lilo has been fed. I've been fed, and Eddie needs to clear the sink. Not a whole lot in it but if one keeps up, there never is!

After taking care of that I'll think about heading out to the store, though I may wait for rush hour to clear up some first.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking Today for 7,965steps. The temperature was 39 degrees this morning and the Overnight rain had moved out leaving light misting in the air when I was heading out the door. There was some moderate gusts of wind too, that made today's walk less comfortable than yesterdays despite the lack of rain and the warmer temperatures :)

I stopped at the Grocery store while walking and bought a head of Lettuce, White Onions and Small Tomatoes for my Brother and 5 Bananas, 2 Smallish Plums and some slices of Swiss Cheese to go with the Ham in the wrap. I only need 1/2 slice for taste so that will be 25 calories of Swiss, 60 calories of Ham and 60 calories of Wrap + a smear of Miracle Whip for taste to make up my SC + PF serving.

The Scale was nice to me this morning for the second day after the New Years Eve Eats. Today I tried some Fresh Blueberries in the Vanilla Turboshake and that did help somewhat :)

Have a Good Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    I managed to get the garbage and recycle bins back up during a period when the rain was light, so didn't get too wet.

Supper tonight was more leftover beans and ham, again as a soup with a big spoonful of greens on top. It's delicious that way!
    Now I've started on The Green Hornet serial from 1940!
    Hi Ed
    The Bean soup made using dried beans and the Ham Bone from Christmas + a small chunk of leftover Ham is now ready to be heated and eaten. It was finished cooking last night around 10PM. My Brother does not use any salt when he makes it so I will have some Microwaved at lunchtime as a part of the lunch.

I am curious now that You are watching the Green Hornet Serial how do You think it would work as an audio only experience to have something different to listen to while walking?
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

High of 65 predicted today, with 20% chance of rain. I think maybe, just maybe, Eddie might make that grocery run!

But first Eddie needs to make sure I got paid...because of the new year holiday my electronic deposit was running late...OK. I looked in another tab and YES! I have some money! For a minute anyway...to be fair last month's expenditures were a little higher than normal, so I did nearly run out, but that month or so between Thanksgiving and New Years is always a slightly bigger spending period.

Buying a case of wine while in Paducah didn't help with that either, but I gave one bottle as a Christmas gift and have consumed two in the interval. And they were 20% off for Christmas week so I didn't spend quite as much on the case as I'd planned! I'm expecting that J will like some of the sweeter ones more than I, but I bought them with him in mind. And then J went to Shelbyville, KY and bought four bottles at a winery there, after asking me what I would recommend. I gave him four recommendations, two for me and two for him, and he bought all four, after tasting the two I recommended for him, to be sure he'd like them. He didn't bother taste testing my two as he figured in advance he would NOT like them.

Well, Lilo has been fed. I've been fed, and Eddie needs to clear the sink. Not a whole lot in it but if one keeps up, there never is!

After taking care of that I'll think about heading out to the store, though I may wait for rush hour to clear up some first.
    I am happy that this months Social Security will be a lot earlier than last month was :) Like You December was a tough month for cash going out vs incoming.

It sounds as if You are well stocked up with wine for a little while.

Your comment about keeping up with the washing reminds me of a sign I saw in a McDonalds, It said CAYGO. Since I had no idea what that was I asked :)
    It stands for Clean As You Go, Which works for me as a habit to have.

Today's traffic was a lot heavier than I have seen since the Friday before Christmas so I was happy I could do my shopping on my walk, What is left to have my Brother will be picking up Tomorrow when he Goes to the ShopRite.
    It is their Can-Can sale where they put canned foods on sale at good prices. He stocks up on various types of Canned Tomato products and strangely to me, Canned Potatoes that he slices into his morning Eggs. I like Potatoes in Eggs too, however I have never been a fan of the canned Potatoes.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

Hi Valerie
  • RogerToo
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Good Morning,
    Roger, thanks for the NS card info. Yes - they are at the regular $80 for $100 in NS. If I hear anything of another sale, I will tell you.

Ed - the Green Hornet...you are really getting into these serials! I imagine they are quite enjoyable to watch. I like the black and white screen much better for these than the color (when BW shows have been "colorized"). I hope they don't try to do the coloring process with the Green Hornet - that would really ruin the great BW photography.

Val - it is back to the airport today...hopefully this daughter will make it to Thailand this time around. She arrives there Thurs morning their time which is 12 hours ahead of us. In other words, it will be tomorrow night here when she gets there. The time zone changes make this very challenging!

Take care all,
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    I take a different tack with colorized movies, I look at each one and decide, I suspect that many of the B&W movies were shot that way due to budget constraints. And some just look much better in B&W :)

I hope all goes well for Your daughters trip. That will be a long flight and much longer than I would like. Newark Airport to LAX or Orange County California was a long enough flight for me.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Well, the Green Hornet movie serial was based on the Green Hornet radio serial so I think if you could get the radio serial it should stand up quite well.

As for canned potatoes...well, I'll eat them if put in front of me but don't really care much for them. They taste...well...canned.
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hello! Hardly morning anymore.
    I am guilty of sleeping in, but not this 'in'!!! Been doing 'this and that', which can really take up some time!
    It is warm out...if the sun was shining I'd declare it Spring! And its today only...like Mom Nature is having a one day sale? :)

Couple of garden chores I'd like to strike off my list today!

I heard thunder and saw lightening yesterday evening into night...and today I see we had an additional 2 ½ inches of rain!

My SS comes the middle of the month...3rd Wednesday to be exact. So I've got awhile to go. Like everyone else, expenses are higher, and mine especially, as my car insurance is due mid December...that sucks, as my granddaughter would say! :)

Add me to the list of peeps not fond of canned potatoes. I've used them long ago, for what reason I cannot imagine...but I did. Oh, well....

Had a nice baked potato to go with my lunch salad...was a nice change from the black eyed peas! I have to admit, my peas this year were quite a bit better than previous years, but.....

Lee-Ann, glad you got your daughter on a flight. Was that delay the one that shut down ALL international terminals across the USA? I saw that on the news and wondered. Computers are great when they behave, and little beasts when they decide to screw things up!!!
    The time issue would drive me crazy! I worked with a guy who's Mum lived in England.....he'd all her, and it would be middle of the day for her. The other thing that blew me away, was she might very well be in another country shopping. He said the countries are so small its not unusual??? really??? She was a very nice woman, she came to visit, and I and several others got to have lunch with her one day. One of the other guys I worked with was from Thailand! He came to the US to live with his aunt and uncle when he was 12. They lived about 2-3 miles from my house in TN...he went to the same High School as my boys! So, it was really weird meeting and working with him here in GA! (he also sold real estate on the side, and was my realtor when I was ready to buy a house!) Great guy, and I loved the food he cooked, and shared samples of...and taught me how to make a couple tasty Thai dishes. He was also the brave soul who not only knew what a Duran was, but went with me to the farmers market to pick one out, and then he cut it up for me to sample. Tastes good...stinks to high heaven though! Really weird fruit...it was the spikes on the thing that fascinated me!
    So, I hope your daughter has a great semester of classes, but also gets to know the people of Thailand, and their foods!

Ok, those shrubs are not out there trimming themselves...they never do...and its probably the warmest day we'll see for awhile...so, out I go.........

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Well, the Green Hornet movie serial was based on the Green Hornet radio serial so I think if you could get the radio serial it should stand up quite well.

As for canned potatoes...well, I'll eat them if put in front of me but don't really care much for them. They taste...well...canned.
    Hi Ed
    Strangely to me the Green Hornet seems to be one of the harder to find old time radio shows.

As I said I did not care for the canned Potatoes. OTOH I find that having switched to Frozen or fresh Vegetables I do not prefer canned Vegetables anymore, They never used to bother me, My taste buds have changed.

We have been having rain most of the day and according to the weather forecast the soaking rain should be moving in around this time into the overnight hours.

Just in case of future power outages I have flashlights all over the house. One sits on the window sill in the Living Room as it is solar powered. It will run around 20 minutes on a charge before running down and that is long enough to find an alternate light source. Then as a Backup my brother gave me a emergency type radio one Christmas that Runs on Batteries, has solar cells for power and can even run the radio using the crank handle for manual power in the dark. It also has a light and a charging port for Cell phones :)

Have a Nice Evening
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hello! Hardly morning anymore.
    I am guilty of sleeping in, but not this 'in'!!! Been doing 'this and that', which can really take up some time!
    It is warm out...if the sun was shining I'd declare it Spring! And its today only...like Mom Nature is having a one day sale? :)

Couple of garden chores I'd like to strike off my list today!

I heard thunder and saw lightening yesterday evening into night...and today I see we had an additional 2 ½ inches of rain!

My SS comes the middle of the month...3rd Wednesday to be exact. So I've got awhile to go. Like everyone else, expenses are higher, and mine especially, as my car insurance is due mid December...that sucks, as my granddaughter would say! :)
    Hi Valerie
    Mine comes on the 2nd Wednesday so Next Week it will be here, Whee :)

Our weather forecast is for nice above average temperatures for Wednesday then back into the freezer.

You are not alone. My Car insurance expires in December so every December I get a double whammy, Christmas Shopping and pay the Car Insurance.
    Add me to the list of peeps not fond of canned potatoes. I've used them long ago, for what reason I cannot imagine...but I did. Oh, well....

Had a nice baked potato to go with my lunch salad...was a nice change from the black eyed peas! I have to admit, my peas this year were quite a bit better than previous years, but.....
    FWIW I like a nice baked Potato too. OTOH the Black Eyed Peas may be better for You?
    Lee-Ann, glad you got your daughter on a flight. Was that delay the one that shut down ALL international terminals across the USA? I saw that on the news and wondered. Computers are great when they behave, and little beasts when they decide to screw things up!!!
    For what I saw on the News Broadcasts earlier the International flight problems were inbound from overseas flights and in the afternoon, Lee-Ann will likely correct me :) However My recollection is that her daughters problems was a mechanical issue with the Jet.
    The time issue would drive me crazy! I worked with a guy who's Mum lived in England.....he'd all her, and it would be middle of the day for her. The other thing that blew me away, was she might very well be in another country shopping. He said the countries are so small its not unusual??? really??? She was a very nice woman, she came to visit, and I and several others got to have lunch with her one day. One of the other guys I worked with was from Thailand! He came to the US to live with his aunt and uncle when he was 12. They lived about 2-3 miles from my house in TN...he went to the same High School as my boys! So, it was really weird meeting and working with him here in GA! (he also sold real estate on the side, and was my realtor when I was ready to buy a house!) Great guy, and I loved the food he cooked, and shared samples of...and taught me how to make a couple tasty Thai dishes. He was also the brave soul who not only knew what a Duran was, but went with me to the farmers market to pick one out, and then he cut it up for me to sample. Tastes good...stinks to high heaven though! Really weird fruit...it was the spikes on the thing that fascinated me!
    So, I hope your daughter has a great semester of classes, but also gets to know the people of Thailand, and their foods!

Ok, those shrubs are not out there trimming themselves...they never do...and its probably the warmest day we'll see for awhile...so, out I go.........

Later...

You could always bring in some Deer to do the Shrub trimming for You :)

I have heard that those Durian can be a bit pungent, OK they were described as stinky on the cooking shows.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Pungent Roger, is hardly the word for the Durian! :) (thanks for spelling it correctly!)
    You may well be right, I thought I heard that it was all international flights, but, sometimes I'm guilty of not really listening! Which ever, glad she is on her way...travel stress relieved for her I hope. That is a long, long flight.
    Uh, nix on the deer! These were leafless twigs/branches from my Lantana. Next up will be the butterfly bush, and when I can get DS1 over with his chain saw thingy the Crepe Myrtle will be shortened, and will be trimmed back each year forward. It and the maple were having 'space to grow war!'...So, Crepe gets 'shortened'. :)
    Black eyed peas and baked potato with no butter, sour cream, etc...about the same. Good starches, keep you filled, and glucose release like taking a slow release drug...long acting! Keeps me from getting the munchies.

There is a forecasted 'possibility' of the white stuff Fri. nite into Sat. morning. Too early to be concerned...except Sat. is Nate's hockey game.. Not time to worry yet!

Ok, enjoyed my time in the yard, but time to think about dinner for both me and Tom E. :smile: )

• RogerToo
    Pungent Roger, is hardly the word for the Durian! :) (thanks for spelling it correctly!)
    You may well be right, I thought I heard that it was all international flights, but, sometimes I'm guilty of not really listening! Which ever, glad she is on her way...travel stress relieved for her I hope. That is a long, long flight.
    Uh, nix on the deer! These were leafless twigs/branches from my Lantana. Next up will be the butterfly bush, and when I can get DS1 over with his chain saw thingy the Crepe Myrtle will be shortened, and will be trimmed back each year forward. It and the maple were having 'space to grow war!'...So, Crepe gets 'shortened'. :)
    Black eyed peas and baked potato with no butter, sour cream, etc...about the same. Good starches, keep you filled, and glucose release like taking a slow release drug...long acting! Keeps me from getting the munchies.

There is a forecasted 'possibility' of the white stuff Fri. nite into Sat. morning. Too early to be concerned...except Sat. is Nate's hockey game.. Not time to worry yet!

Ok, enjoyed my time in the yard, but time to think about dinner for both me and Tom E. :smile: )
    Hi Valerie
    We had a Yard service in to get rid of the English Ivy in 2015, it was just out of control. Now We can keep after it if it pops up from where it growing wild in the two neighbors yards.

The Things You learn watching some of the cooking contest shows :)

I had the impression from somewhere that the Black Eyed peas might be better, oh well, something else I got wrong :)

When I had the baked potato with the Christmas meal I did use a little butter and if I had shredded Cheddar I might have used that instead with a little of the frozen Broccoli after I had heated it in the cheese. I have never been a fan of sour cream on a potato.

Good Luck with the White stuff, they were muttering about some for Friday for use too :(

Have a Nice Evening
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Well, I'm down to just ONE SERVING LEFT of the black eyed peas and ham. I finished off the greens with a serving of the peas tonight for dinner, along with a small serving of the leftover corn pudding. I think J will probably be finishing off the corn pudding tonight. He had two servings last night and there are two servings left...

I did get to the store today, and got everything on the nearly critical list, and then ordered the other things on Amazon, as I had been waiting for my pension to hit the bank, and it did so I had some money to buy things. Of course now I'm broke again, after paying outstanding bills and buying groceries and ordering stuff, but my annuity will hit in a couple of days on another account so I'll have some money to get groceries through the month, and pay the one bill remaining, which hasn't posted yet. I know how much it will be and it shouldn't be a problem.
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed
    Strangely to me the Green Hornet seems to be one of the harder to find old time radio shows.

Roger

Really? I googled Green Hornet Radio Show and got lots of hits, and also it seems to be rather widely available on Amazon. Maybe it's just putting in the right term?

• parityanimal
    Oh, and the Green Hornet video serial probably wouldn't translate well to audio only. It's very visual.

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

High today is supposed to be 50 and it's ALREADY THERE. Low tonight, 32 so I expect the day will show a cooling trend all day long.

Being that it IS Wednesday, I suppose I should check out the Kroger flyer online to see what's on sale this week.

Finished off the black eyed pea and ham soup for breakfast. The bone in that ham was pretty small, so I'd say with the two pounds of barbecued ham from Paducah, and the 9.06 pound ham I cooked, minus the rendered fat and the bone, I think I ate about 10 pounds of ham over the holiday.

I don't think I want any more ham for a while...at least a month!

Well, need to clear the sink...

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...