Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Oh, then we have/had different sweet potatoes! Hope yours are good/better than.... Can't say I'd buy the red skinned ones again. kinda dry, and not very sweet....

Hi Again
    Sweet Potatoes should be somewhat sweet :)
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    edited December 2016
    Hi Folks,

Merry Christmas to everyone! It looks like Santa will have some snow to fly over out west - so he shouldn't be bothered by the warm southern temps.

Thank you for the Hanukah wishes. We had the family gathering today - I skipped the potato latkes (potato pancakes deep fried) and the doughnuts (also deep fried). Do you see a there here? Fried foods are part of Hanukah because of the symbolism of the oil. I guess I am happy that oil and I get along like...oil and water!

Skipping outdoor walks for now - until temps are over about 65 degrees - but I am back on the elliptical walker - for now. At least I am doing some kind of moving.

Roger, that dessert tower looks delicious! Is there any left by now?

Going to finish up and let all of you enjoy the holiday with family and friends. I wish you a peaceful Christmas filled with joy,
    Lee-Ann
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,227 Member
    For dinner tonight Eduardo made cornbread dressing casserole with about a pound of Andouille, half pound of white meat turkey (the very last of the frozen Thanksgiving turkey), bell peppers, onion, jalapeños, herbs and spices.

Wine of choice: Gosford Reserve, Shiraz, 2015, Australia.

Needless to say, a great deal (like 3/4) of the casserole is left and since Eduardo went so nutso on the dinner casserole tonight, some of the remaining casserole will probably replace the originally planned potato casserole for tomorrow's Christmas dinner. Some may be breakfast as well...it can be difficult to rein Eduardo in when he gets going! I usually just give up and let him do whatever. LOL.

Hope everyone has a great WHATEVER year end holiday (if any) they celebrate. J seems to have made it safely to central Kentucky.

I'm sitting here watching still more holiday videos and counting my blessings.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Merry Christmas y'all! High of 71 predicted for today, with 10% chance of rain.

Been up for an hour or so and now Lilo is jonesing for breakfast so I guess I better take care of that.

• RogerToo
    Hi
    I did go out walking Today for a total of 9,129 steps. I went to Dunkin Donuts for my Coffee, Closed :( so I went to my alternate that never closes, 7-Eleven for the coffee. I swung by the local grocery store to see if they were opem or closed, They were Closed no surprise :)

The baking is done. That would be the Sweet Potato Pie using a recipe where it uses Plain Yogurt and is topped with chopped Pecans, More Fruit Cakes since we had all of the ingredients and a Bacardi Rum Cake using this recipe to see how it tastes as it is something new to us.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/bacardi-rum-cake-14499
    I had to do a few changes to the recipe as the Yellow Cake Mix weighed less than the Recipe calls for. I added a little flour to bring the weight up and I used French Vanilla Pudding mix as that was what we had. Probably the largest change was when I went to make it I realized we did not have cooking oil so I substituted Olive Oil. The Batter tasted good, Hopefully when we slice into it today it tastes good too.

Have a Great Christmas Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Merry Christmas to everyone! It looks like Santa will have some snow to fly over out west - so he shouldn't be bothered by the warm southern temps.

Thank you for the Hanukah wishes. We had the family gathering today - I skipped the potato latkes (potato pancakes deep fried) and the doughnuts (also deep fried). Do you see a there here? Fried foods are part of Hanukah because of the symbolism of the oil. I guess I am happy that oil and I get along like...oil and water!

Skipping outdoor walks for now - until temps are over about 65 degrees - but I am back on the elliptical walker - for now. At least I am doing some kind of moving.

Roger, that dessert tower looks delicious! Is there any left by now?

Going to finish up and let all of you enjoy the holiday with family and friends. I wish you a peaceful Christmas filled with joy,
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    I am guessing that You mean the 8 days of light. I suspect that since I like both of those I would have had a small one anyway. OTOH Oils as such do not bother me, I worry more about sugars (Empty Calories). I do believe that the human body needs some fats in the diet too. One Candle down and 7 to go I believe.

I suspect You know the Season Brand of foods? As a bit of possibly interesting trivia the company where I worked back in the 80s (Not Season BTW), Season hired trucks and drivers to do setup deliveries for Passover.

I got an addition to help me walk in this weather, Heated Mittens. The nice thing is that being mittens I can also add a Electric Hand warmer into the mitten for really cold weather if the high heat setting is not enough or I plan to be out beyond the 2.5 hours battery life when set to high. If I had been thinking ahead better I would have gotten these instead of trying the heated Gloves :(

OK, The Chocolate Tower is untouched and as far as I go will remain that way until today's food is worked off. I do not know if my brother will be getting into it however. He is so helpful with diets, As part of my gifts there was a smallish box of Macadamia Shortbread Cookies that are 75 calories per biscuit and 12 in the box. A Dollar store box of Dipped Peanut Brittle120 calories per ounce serving, Two Russell Stover Truffle Santas 1.25 ounce and 180 calories, I had one last night in place of the NS dessert so Tasty too. And last but definitely not least Box of Christmas Dots candies where11 dots = 130 calories. on the good side as long as I am careful I can use them, I just need to be Strong and not overeat them once they are opened :)

Thank You for the Holiday Wishes
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    For dinner tonight Eduardo made cornbread dressing casserole with about a pound of Andouille, half pound of white meat turkey (the very last of the frozen Thanksgiving turkey), bell peppers, onion, jalapeños, herbs and spices.

Wine of choice: Gosford Reserve, Shiraz, 2015, Australia.

Needless to say, a great deal (like 3/4) of the casserole is left and since Eduardo went so nutso on the dinner casserole tonight, some of the remaining casserole will probably replace the originally planned potato casserole for tomorrow's Christmas dinner. Some may be breakfast as well...it can be difficult to rein Eduardo in when he gets going! I usually just give up and let him do whatever. LOL.

Hope everyone has a great WHATEVER year end holiday (if any) they celebrate. J seems to have made it safely to central Kentucky.

I'm sitting here watching still more holiday videos and counting my blessings.
    Hi Ed
    I have been listening to Christmas Radio shows from 1944 while walking as part of my Christmas. Names like Bob Hope, Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Eddie Cantor and many more including dramas such as "The Whistler".

I would say that sounds good to me. Today's menu here Lower Sodium Ham since two years ago the Regular Ham was a salt bomb to my brothers and my taste buds. Something to do with not using added salt these days I suspect.
    Baked Sprouts, I'm not sure how he plans to season them. Baked Potato for me and I peeled the 5 Pound bag of potatoes for my brother to Mash since he likes Mashed (Smashed) potatoes and adds a 1/4 pound of butter and some milk. I suspect he will reserve some of them once they are cooked without mashing as he also likes chunks of potatoes in his skillet with meat & eggs for breakfast sometimes.

We only have a Bottle of Sparkling Grape Juice in the refrigerator left from last year unopened instead of the wine from the wine rack.
    Merry Christmas y'all! High of 71 predicted for today, with 10% chance of rain.

Been up for an hour or so and now Lilo is jonesing for breakfast so I guess I better take care of that.
    Hi Again
    I wish my weather was that warm OTOH I suspect You pay for it with heat and humidity in the summer :)

My Breakfast today was simple, A Banana before walking, coffee and on the return a NS Coffee Protein Shake and a NS Cinnamon Roll. The NS Protein shakes are almost used up and discontinued, They have been replaced with Vanilla and Chocolate Turbo Shakes making me a unhappy camper. I liked having four flavors, Strawberry, Coffee, Vanilla and Chocolate protein shakes for variety.

Have a Great Holiday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    That chocolate tower looked incredibly decadent. I'd have trouble holding back with that.

And that rum cake sounds like it's about the same cake that Jo always used to give J every Christmas, which was, of course, shared with me.

I've decided that the potato casserole will be made anyway, but just a small one. It can bake while the ham is warming.

And here's what the white sweet potatoes look like right now...we'll see how they look when cut and cooked. :)

20161225_110219_zpsgiciquat.jpg
  • parityanimal
    OK. Eduardo gets a day or two off...for sure!

Christmas Dinner:

Tamarind Ginger glazed ham
    Potatoes Au Gratin Romanoff
    Lightly maple glazed white sweet potatoes
    Somewhat Cajun style cornbread dressing with andouille, turkey, bell peppers, jalapeño
    Steamed, lightly buttered broccoli
    Gingered cranberry & kumquat relish

Wine of choice: Montaluce Cabernet Franc, 2013, Montaluce Vineyard, Dahlonega, GA

Dessert was one of the triple chocolate pecan cookies made the other day.

20161225_131711_zpsyzrezv96.jpg
  • RogerToo
    That chocolate tower looked incredibly decadent. I'd have trouble holding back with that.

And that rum cake sounds like it's about the same cake that Jo always used to give J every Christmas, which was, of course, shared with me.

I've decided that the potato casserole will be made anyway, but just a small one. It can bake while the ham is warming.

And here's what the white sweet potatoes look like right now...we'll see how they look when cut and cooked. :)

20161225_110219_zpsgiciquat.jpg
    Hi Ed
    I am resisting the Chocolate Tower for now, We ended up eating early as the Ham was ready, I just glazed it with crushed Pineapple :) I had a Baked Potato, Sauteed Brussels Sprouts, Some Left over from Thanksgiving Bread Stuffing that had been vacuum packed and frozen, Homemade Ham Based Gravy, and Some Sweet Potato Pie :) Not as elaborate as Your meal, Oh well :(

The Dishes and Pans are washed and put away now, The leftovers have been put in bowls and Saran Wrapped. Tonight's dinner will be a smaller version of the Main meal with changes, Some Mixed vegetables and no Potatoes or Stuffing and the Rum Cake instead of the Sweet Potato Pie to see how it tastes. Maybe on Monday or Tuesday much of the Pie and Cake can be handed off elsewhere to remove temptation, I'll let my brother make the final decision as once I have tasted them I'll be happy. Hmm... I almost forgot we also have Homemade Cranberry Sauce I want to have a taste of :)
    OK. Eduardo gets a day or two off...for sure!

Christmas Dinner:

Tamarind Ginger glazed ham
    Potatoes Au Gratin Romanoff
    Lightly maple glazed white sweet potatoes
    Somewhat Cajun style cornbread dressing with andouille, turkey, bell peppers, jalapeño
    Steamed, lightly buttered broccoli
    Gingered cranberry & kumquat relish

Wine of choice: Montaluce Cabernet Franc, 2013, Montaluce Vineyard, Dahlonega, GA

Dessert was one of the triple chocolate pecan cookies made the other day.

20161225_131711_zpsyzrezv96.jpg
    That plate looks fantastic, I wish I had those skills, However...

Enjoy the rest of Christmas Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Supper plate was considerably abbreviated. Leftover ham, dressing, potatoes. And a cookie, of course.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. Happy Boxing Day!

High of 58 for today, with 50% chance of rain.

Need to get to the store for a few things, but none are critical so may just wait. We'll see.

Not much planned. Eat leftovers. Clear sink. Bring garbage/recycle bins back up later. Nap.

I think having Boxing Day be a holiday in England is an excellent idea and should be carried over to here.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    Uw7HF6.jpg

G0xlRy.jpg

Xo08PE.jpg

U5kG8N.jpg

OUfWrR.jpg

RPeQto.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking Today for 8K steps. I stopped at the Grocery store for two bananas and 3 Bartlett Pears. I bought light as today is only 5% off versus Wednesdays 10% Senior Discount. Outdoors it is a gray looking day some precipitation in the forecast. Traffic on the roads is very light this morning.

The Holiday baking was taste tested yesterday :) Final report, I liked the Bacardi Rum cake much better than the Sweet Potato Pie. Sadly the Rum Cake is so much more expensive to make due to the cost of the ingredients.

Have a Good Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Supper plate was considerably abbreviated. Leftover ham, dressing, potatoes. And a cookie, of course.
    Hi Ed
    My Dinner plate was less diverse also :)
    Ham and the other Baked potato and a couple of small Tangerines.
    Later We cut into the Bacardi Rum Cake which was delicious if expensive to make with some Sparkling Grape Drink.
    Howdy y'all. Happy Boxing Day!

High of 58 for today, with 50% chance of rain.

Need to get to the store for a few things, but none are critical so may just wait. We'll see.

Not much planned. Eat leftovers. Clear sink. Bring garbage/recycle bins back up later. Nap.

I think having Boxing Day be a holiday in England is an excellent idea and should be carried over to here.
    Today is of course Break the Leftover Ham into portions and Vacuum Seal much of it for the freezer. Not sure what to do with most of the Rum Cake as I do not think there is much Room in the freezer for it. After Yesterday I do not think either of us can afford to have any until The New Years Day Holiday Meal.

Originally way back when I first heard of boxing day I thought to myself the Brits really like boxing :) Then I found out what it really was...

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    edited December 2016
    Good Morning, Happy Boxing Day!
    And while we're about holidays, I read in a newsletter from UC/Davis, that tomorrow Dec 27th is Fruit Cake Day! And that fruit cakes go back to Roman times!!! Wow!! AND Univ. of California @ Davis campus puts out a newletter with veg. recipe's and such...so they posted a Vegan fruit cake recipe!!! Whoa!! It reads good, and I may just give it a try next year! And somewhere this morning I happened on to a snippet of good news...if your fruitcake dries out, just soak it in liquid....(I'm thinking Rum!!!), but I'm sure fruit juice would suffice.

I had a very enjoyable day yesterday...Christmas is always somewhat noisy and chaotic around the kids at Christmas, but a fun chaos. And after coffee and everybody eating brunchish food, we went to my DIL's Brothers home...more kids, more chaos, but it settled quickly, and the adults had a nice visit, and then dinner was served. Everything I ate was delicious! I'd taken a salad, (for some reason they love my salads...???), there was a wonderful smelling, rare, smoked and roasted beef tenderloin. Didn't eat that!, but also had a baked potato, they had twice baked topped with a bunch of cheese...and broccoli, etc. All was good. Evening outside since it was still in the 70's, half watched the big screen Football game, and the other half sat around the firepit. My DS1 played Domino's with my grandson, as he's kinda the left out person, age wise....they were next to me at the coffee table at the firepit....and let me tell you that 10 year old is RUTHLESS! He likes to win!

Was home by about 9:30, it was great not having to drive...DS2 picked me up, and brought me home! Liked that! Talked to my brother and his family in MO., and will see my deceased brother's family Wednesday for lunch.

I have an external bluetooth speaker (Bose) so I can hear my computer without having to put on ear buds, and the speaker sits on a charging pad, but can be lifted off the pad and carried to where ever you want to go (nice)...and a roasting tray and a round roasting pan to go with my grill...and framed pix of the kids, gotta have those for the grandmothers :), oh and a ghost!
    No, not really....DS2 gave me a Casper brand bed pillow...these things are amazing....check them out online!

My step count for the week was above goal. That hasn't happened in a long time, and I was amazed when I got up this morning, I could walk without morning stiffness and pain!! WhooHoo!!! (its the little things that count!)

Roger what recipe were you talking about for the onions? I first thought it was for the Crash Hot Potatoes, but they don't have onions??? Bit confused. If it was something that I cooked, I will gladly share the recipe, no problem, but I need a hint :)

Lee-Ann, I'm sure your dinner for the family was wonderful! Hope they helped the 'cook' and did her dishes for her! Even if its just loading the dishwasher, its a nice help!

Ed your dinner looked wonderful! And I'm thinking what I can use to duplicate the cabbage and ham sauté ...thinking maybe some broken up Morning Star Sausages Patties broken up into 'chunks'??? Might work.

Later...
    PS...the morning posts had started a new page, and I was not aware of that when I posted my good mornings!

Yep, its Boxing Day...and if we pick it up as a holiday, well, fine by me!!!

Sad to say, I do not have any leftovers today...so that'll be me you hear in the kitchen today!

Later still...

• parityanimal
    Lunch was a ham and Swiss sandwich on sugar free whole wheat bread, with a small handful of lightly salted wavy potato chips.

Sipping a cup of tea now and enjoying the fact that it's lightly raining outside.

I think I'll go start watching another serial or series now...

• parityanimal
    Ed your dinner looked wonderful! And I'm thinking what I can use to duplicate the cabbage and ham sauté ...thinking maybe some broken up Morning Star Sausages Patties broken up into 'chunks'??? Might work.

I'd say the Morningstar Farms sausage patties would probably work out well in that, surely better than any of the vegan "ham" slices I've ever seen or tasted...which were all basically...BLECH! Those sausage patties are great! I'd recommend the hot and spicy ones. They're not really all that hot, at least to me, but have a good flavor.

• GardenKatGardens
    Thanks Ed....those hot and spicy ones are the ones I buy. They really are good!
    Have my new Bose bluetooth speaker paired with my computer...I Can Hear!!! :)

I've rocked and petted Tom E., he's been back outside, and he thinks I want to rock again? Sweet Dreams Tom E. Cat!!!

I still need to get on that bike.....why do I put that off alllll day long?

See you tomorrow!
  • GardenKatGardens
    Roger, an article in my mailbox this morning was about making soup. As part of the process they said....."One way to ensure that the cooking process goes smoothly is to chop all of your vegetables and measure out your ingredients before you start. In traditional French culinary, this technique of preparing everything in advance is called “mise en place,” which means “set in place.” :) Did we not talk about that in the last week?!!! :)
    Made me smile and chuckle!
    Hope you have a good walk.
    Later...