Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,227 Member
    edited December 2016
    Dinner tonight:

Eduardo made cabbage, onion, garlic, and ham sautéd in ghee with soy sauce and black pepper. Crash Hot Potatoes (extra hot, used cayenne infused olive oil instead of plain) on the side. Dessert was one of the Double Chocolate (or triple, if you count the M&Ms and the chocolate chips separately) pecan Christmas cookies I made earlier today.

Wine of choice: Château Franc-Cardinal, Bordeaux, 2011.

20161223_201214_zpswoywwou0.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Been up about an hour, but awake a bit before that. Just couldn't get back to sleep.

It's Christmas Eve. The forecast calls for 70 degrees for the high tomorrow, Christmas day. That's just bizarre.

Eddie needs to get to Kroger to get a few things. They open n 15 minutes so now might be a great time to head that way! I'm sure they'll be busy as all get out later today. Just need to get some clothes on as it's a bit chilly for gym pants and a tee shirt. LOL.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Lilo is helping me to internet and stuff...

20161224_071804_zpsjlrw54hm.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Great Pix of your helper!
  • parityanimal

Note the mug on the shelf behind her.
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning...
    Christmas Eve. And yes, it is supposed to be 70 tomorrow. And I LOVE it! Hang around, we have these warm wonderful Christmas' some years. I can't of the top of my head remember a cold snowy one, though I'm sure that has happened, sometime.

Hope you got out to Kroger...I've seen the masses...and it being a Saturday...oh my!! When I worked at the StarBucks in Kroger, they were still telling stories about trying to close the store Christmas Eve at 9, I think it was, and people wouldn't leave. They had to call the cops to get every last shopper out of the store!!! I was very glad I didn't work that shift!

I had Crash Hot Potatoes again the other day! I didn't spice them up, but did put FYH cheese on top. I love the crispy outside and soft almost creamy insides. Wish they'd stay that way, but trying to keep them for another meal, they just aren't the same.

I am thinking I might like to roast some veggies in the oven today. For some reason I'm sorta craving roasted onions. Hmmm. Maybe, maybe not!

Lee-Ann, I know you're busy today getting everything ready for your family and your Hanukah dinner. Enjoy your family, and the time spent together. Wishing you the very best for this holiday season.

Roger! How was your walk today? and are you and your brother both cooking today, or does he get to be the Chef? (Or as a friend of mine calls himself...the best Sous-Chef in town.)
    Which ever, I hope you have a great day, and that all the activity in the kitchen today makes for a wonderful Christmas Dinner tomorrow!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I did not go out walking Today, maybe later for a little ways if/when the rain stops, I walked twice yesterday for a total of 21,390 steps. I decided to go out twice so I could skip today's walk if the forecast for rain by the time I would be heading out the door was correct. Outdoors it is a gray looking day and raining. I am at 78,590 steps since Sunday :) That means I am past my goal if 70K steps for the 7 day period.

There is baking in the interior forecast, 2 Pies, More Fruit Cakes since we had all of the ingredients and no sense wasting all the different expensive dried fruits. We have Foodsaver bag material that can be used to vacuum seal a 10 inch pie or larger so I'm sure that will happen.

Have a Great Christmas Eve
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    qfiwpT.jpg

9wVP9t.jpg

zo1jBG.jpg

K78uv0.jpg

QDi1EO.jpg
    Train wreck at Montparnasse 1895, Oops

ajZIPf.jpg
    Last but not least
  • RogerToo
    edited December 2016
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday!

Making a pork loin into sausage does sound "wrong" but on the other hand it should make some really great, and tender, sausage! The last time I made sausage I used generic, store brand, lean ground pork. It was so lean that it really could have used a bit of larding to give a bit more fat to carry flavor! But the sausage tasted OK, and at least it was low fat.
    Hi Ed
    I have broken Your post up to make it easier to reply :)
    It does sound wrong, OTOH that was the purpose the Pork Loins were bought for. My brother would rather turn them into Breakfast Sauages and Italian Sausage Patties than have it sliced into chops. Since it is a lower fat cut he usually has the Butcher department package up some fat to use when he grinds them.
    Kringle is an oval ring of pastry, with various fillings, and usually frosted, but not always, made year round now but especially at the end of the year. I sent my mother THREE of them, with different fillings and toppings.
    That sounds delicious, I'm semi happy they are not within reach or I might sit and do a eat em up on one.
    I'm sure You Mother was happy to get those.
    The family that was there in Paducah had a bit of an early Christmas for me. I received a "pound of bacon" Christmas ornament, as they know how much I love bacon, and a mug that says "BACON gives me a reason to get out of bed" along with a collectible beer mug from Dad's collection that Mom is distributing, a cake (from Mom), some sugar free candy from a sister, J was sent an amaryllis and some maple fudge bars. In addition I got a ceramic spoon rest looking like a small pan of bacon and an egg, and some felt penguin ornaments, because I like penguins.
    Bacon, Yum, So may different flavors to savor.
    When I got back, the BEST present was ready. New wedding bands. My old band (20+ years old) had been ruined in a disastrous resizing years ago, and the mate was lost over a year ago when placed in a pocket for safekeeping once and, presumably, fell out in a public place while removing something else from that pocket. After selling the house in Memphis, the money was available for replacement. Design was carefully specified to be as close to the original as possible. Duplication was not possible, but it's close. The original was sold back to offset a bit of the cost, and will be smelted and re-used for some new piece by the jeweler. The new ring is 14K and designed to be a bit more comfortable than the old one, and thicker. The old set was what I could afford at the time and looked nice when new, but was quite thin and sometimes felt like it was somewhat cutting in, though it was not really cutting. The edge tended to catch easily on things as well, partly because of that thinness. The new one, being thicker, and with a slightly rounded edge, could still catch but not as easily.

Interestingly, the jeweler's mark is a star of David with what looks like the letter I (for Izzy? The jeweler's first name?) in the center of the star.

Which reminds me, Happy Hanukkah, Lee! (however you spell that...I've seen so many alternates)

Since we designed it special, and they were hand etched, it's a unique set that no one else in the world will have, though they may have something somewhat similar. The jeweler says that after making them, the mold was destroyed. They liked them so much they said they intended to use a picture of them on their revamped web page as a sample of their work!

So here's the best Christmas present ever:
    I am sure that is what happened to the money I found, I have even seen Key Rings laying on the ground while walking. I made the decision to leave them there so that they could retrace their steps and hopefully find them.

Congratulations on the new rings. Custom Design too.
    Eduardo's plan for Christmas dinner is somewhat laid back.

A spiral slice, glazed ham. The glaze packet that comes with the ham will be jazzed up with a bit of ginger, some black pepper, and perhaps some mustard.

Scalloped or Au Gratin potatoes.

Steamed broccoli OR steamed green beans, lightly buttered.

Possibly the remaining cranberry relish from Thanksgiving, which is in the deep freeze.

A rather expensive bottle of Cabernet Franc, from the Montaluce winery in Dahlonega. I have had some of their Malbec and it was excellent. This Cabernet Franc was nearly twice what I paid for the Malbec when I bought that, and the Malbec was a bit on the expensive side by my pricing standards...so yes, this is a rather expensive bottle. It better be good or I will NEVER buy or recommend their wine again.

Dessert will either be some kind of purchased sweet bite sized things or Eduardo might be persuaded to make some cookies with reduced sugar but not really "low" sugar...including chocolate chips and red and green M&Ms in a chocolate dough with pecan pieces...so eating ONE or maybe even TWO cookies won't be TOO much of a calorie/carb hit...
    Hi Again
    I would not mind a Spiral ham, however in deference to my brother who would not touch one we have a regular ham. He is aggravated that the hams these days do not come with skin on them like they used too. He loved slicing off the skin and crisping it in the skillet.

Your menu sounds delicious. My Brother is planning to bake some Brussels sprouts to go with the Baked Potato and Mashed Potato, beyond that I am not sure what else.
    Update:

Dessert will be Christmas cookies. First batch (minus one) cooling now...

20161223_121408_zpserxvm2hy.jpg
    Oh delicious orbs of chocolateness!!!!!!

Hershey's "Special Dark" cocoa used to make them! And stevia baking mix. They're just a tad crumbly, but at least that little bit of sugar was saved...I'm afraid the chocolate chips and the M&Ms and the whole stick of butter are all too real! At least the pecan chips are low carb. Still, with cookies one can easily control how much dessert one eats. Of course I had to try one as soon as Eduardo put the first batch on the rack to cool.

J had one too and said they are good.

Whee, Home Made Christmas Cookies :)
    Is that Red and Green Marshmallows in them?

Christmas only comes once a year, Enjoy Your Cookies
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Friday Morning!
    Got stuff working for me this morning..clothes in washer & dryer, and dishwasher running! Few hand washing things to do, and make myself a bowl of oatmeal with ground flax seed and blueberries with cinnamon. While that happens I'll do those dishes. (sounds like a good plan..we'll see!) I get into the kitchen, and I think of all sorts of things I can do.
    Found a recipe this morning that sounded interesting...tomato soup (which is dairy free) with garbanzo beans. Sounds good...curious about the dairy free tomato soup. Recipe has directions for the Instant Pot, so that may be what goes with lunch salad!

Lee-Ann, you sound awfully busy for a day off from school! How long will you have for 'winter vacation' this year? Our kids got out yesterday...a thing I'd forgotten, and there was extra confusion in the grocery store...teach me not to shop on my appointed Wednesday!! :)
    Glad your Mom can still get all her grands together to celebrate Hanukah dinner. I'm sure she enjoys that. Hope your weather stays 'nice', and not slippery. Grocery stores will be busy today, and I'd rather go without eating than have to go on Saturday!!! (and fasting is not my 'thing', believe me!)

Roger, sounds like you had a good walk, and I'm betting that unless I miss my math facts, that @ + 1 + 1 = 3 ???? LOL! Roger you don't do many typo's, (I on the other hand ....), so when I saw that you'd walked XX steps and @ cents I did have to giggle!

Ed, what does Eduardo's Christmas Day menu look like this year? You make everything look and sound so good. Also I sent you a photo of some extremely blue orchids...what's up with those? Did they breed in a new color, or is there some hocus-pocus going on with them? They are way over the top with color... I figured you or J would know about them???

Ok, tummy growling, fabric softener in washer, I think I need a breakfast break!

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I missed this post yesterday somehow :(
    Oh well, I must have had the shift key down when I typed the 2 part of that post, It was 2 cents one day and 1 cent the day before.
    Glad I came back!
    I had to google Kringles the other day when you mentioned them! Sounds delicious!
    I love your new rings! They are awesome! Glad they came for Christmas!
    Cookies sound good...maybe too good? Keep those tempting gems on YOUR side of the county! :wink:
    Ok, I've eaten, need to fold laundry, move laundry to dryer, etc.

Have a great day everyone!!

I see You have been posting pictures from Your Porch :)
    Just Kidding, See the image below.
    http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4986/JCKvI8.jpg
    Fresh, Warm from the Oven cookies, how do You resist something like that :(

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Lee-Ann
    Have a Great Holiday and enjoy Your time off from work vacation.
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Yep Roger the picture did look somewhat familiar. Not any more. All cat food is now consumed INDOORS. Makes for a bit more work, but ......

Oh, and the red and green you saw in Ed's cookies are the M&M's! And how do you resist cookies warm from the oven? I do not know! They are way too good at that stage to not enjoy....so I don't bake them anymore. And the littles have plenty, as their Mom bakes tins of them. :)

Ok, breakfast over...I cooked a double batch of greens with onion, garlic, and mushrooms. I had left over boiled red potatoes so that went with my greens today...and the portion for tomorrow will have sweet potato that I baked this morning...

On with my day!...
  • parityanimal
    Update on Christmas dinner. Eduardo forgot that there were some WHITE sweet potatoes coming in this week's CSA box, so white sweet potato will be added to the Christmas menu.

Looking forward to that, as I've never eaten white sweet potato. I expect it will taste pretty much like the orange colored ones though.

• RogerToo
    Dinner tonight:

Eduardo made cabbage, onion, garlic, and ham sautéd in ghee with soy sauce and black pepper. Crash Hot Potatoes (extra hot, used cayenne infused olive oil instead of plain) on the side. Dessert was one of the Double Chocolate (or triple, if you count the M&Ms and the chocolate chips separately) pecan Christmas cookies I made earlier today.

Wine of choice: Château Franc-Cardinal, Bordeaux, 2011.
    Snipped Images out

Hi Ed
    I like the look of that Plate, It would be to hot for my mellow taste buds however.
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Been up about an hour, but awake a bit before that. Just couldn't get back to sleep.

It's Christmas Eve. The forecast calls for 70 degrees for the high tomorrow, Christmas day. That's just bizarre.

Eddie needs to get to Kroger to get a few things. They open n 15 minutes so now might be a great time to head that way! I'm sure they'll be busy as all get out later today. Just need to get some clothes on as it's a bit chilly for gym pants and a tee shirt. LOL.
    If Kroger's is like the Grocery store my brother visited yesterday they had all the registers open and People were circling in the parking lot looking for a spot to park :)
    Good Luck with the shopping.

Note the mug on the shelf behind her.
    Hi I did notice it :) I would think it would be hard to type however. Nice Picture though.

Have a Nice Christmas Eve
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited December 2016
    Good Morning...
    Christmas Eve. And yes, it is supposed to be 70 tomorrow. And I LOVE it! Hang around, we have these warm wonderful Christmas' some years. I can't of the top of my head remember a cold snowy one, though I'm sure that has happened, sometime.

Hope you got out to Kroger...I've seen the masses...and it being a Saturday...oh my!! When I worked at the StarBucks in Kroger, they were still telling stories about trying to close the store Christmas Eve at 9, I think it was, and people wouldn't leave. They had to call the cops to get every last shopper out of the store!!! I was very glad I didn't work that shift!

I had Crash Hot Potatoes again the other day! I didn't spice them up, but did put FYH cheese on top. I love the crispy outside and soft almost creamy insides. Wish they'd stay that way, but trying to keep them for another meal, they just aren't the same.

I am thinking I might like to roast some veggies in the oven today. For some reason I'm sorta craving roasted onions. Hmmm. Maybe, maybe not!

Lee-Ann, I know you're busy today getting everything ready for your family and your Hanukah dinner. Enjoy your family, and the time spent together. Wishing you the very best for this holiday season.

Roger! How was your walk today? and are you and your brother both cooking today, or does he get to be the Chef? (Or as a friend of mine calls himself...the best Sous-Chef in town.)
    Which ever, I hope you have a great day, and that all the activity in the kitchen today makes for a wonderful Christmas Dinner tomorrow!

Later...

HI Valerie
    As You may have noticed I posted after You did and skipped walking today for two reasons :)
    Weather & the Weeks Stop count.

When You roast the Onions do You bread them? I would think some of the Cheese Substitute and breading might be tasty.

I leave the Chef'ing to him and do the Mise En Place.
    Just in case :)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mise_en_place
    Lots to do today in the Kitchen
    Make & Bake the Sweet potato pie
    Make & Bake the Bacardi Rum Cake
    Finish making the Third batch of Fruit Cakes and Bake
    Finish making the Cranberry Sauce

Tomorrow The Ham gets baked along with a baked Potato for me & Baked Sprouts for my brother and peeling Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes for him etc.

Amazing how the last minute ninnies do not take a hint or a flat out we are closing announcement.

Fixed the Link :)
    JCKvI8.jpg

Enjoy Your Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Eddie got to Kroger at 6:05 this morning. I think they may have stayed open all night for holiday shopping, as their normal opening time is 6:00 but a lady came out just as Eddie got there with a cart FULL of groceries. I doubt she gathered, scanned (u-scan only) and bagged all that in just 5 minutes.

The place had only a handful of shoppers. I think I may have seen as many as 4 or 5 others, and the stock people were still busy loading shelves. There was no difficulty getting the few items needed and getting on out. I imagine by now it's a madhouse so I'm very glad I got there early.

J left for Kentucky just before lunch. He'll pick up something on the way when he gets hungry. Hope his trip to central Kentucky is as uneventful as mine was to Western Kentucky.

• GardenKatGardens
    Yeah, a little odd Ed about the store hours....mine is usually open 24/7, but I noticed their web site said they would be open 9a-10p? So, mine 'may' have closed last night?? Makes no sense...but. I'm not going there. Glad you got there early
    White Sweet Potatoes....red skinned? Let me know what you thought of them. I got one about a month ago....and some mashed ones came to the Turkey Day table.......you review, and I'll agree or explain! :)
    Hope J has a safe trip to Kentucky also.

Roger, the onions were sautéed, before they went into the oven. No need to bread them...just adding more calories, and 'wheat' or 'Flour'...either name a no go at my house.
    They are good though!! If I didn't post the recipe, but I will if your interested. I really should anyhow, they make a great little snack, and also are 'party' food.
    I checked your link...mise en place...is pretty much like sous chef, only Wiki says Sous Chef is more 'industrial/commercial/restaurant' kitchen person.... Which ever, somebody cooks, somebody cleans, and somebody is the 3rd hand...:) as long as the food is good, right????

Need to think about lunch for a few minutes.

Later...

• parityanimal
    My white sweet potatoes are white on the outside. Don't know yet what on the inside but think white again.
  • GardenKatGardens
    Oh, then we have/had different sweet potatoes! Hope yours are good/better than.... Can't say I'd buy the red skinned ones again. kinda dry, and not very sweet....
  • RogerToo
    edited December 2016
    Eddie got to Kroger at 6:05 this morning. I think they may have stayed open all night for holiday shopping, as their normal opening time is 6:00 but a lady came out just as Eddie got there with a cart FULL of groceries. I doubt she gathered, scanned (u-scan only) and bagged all that in just 5 minutes.

The place had only a handful of shoppers. I think I may have seen as many as 4 or 5 others, and the stock people were still busy loading shelves. There was no difficulty getting the few items needed and getting on out. I imagine by now it's a madhouse so I'm very glad I got there early.

J left for Kentucky just before lunch. He'll pick up something on the way when he gets hungry. Hope his trip to central Kentucky is as uneventful as mine was to Western Kentucky.
    Hi Ed
    It sounds as if You were Lucky at the store. When I went to CostCo the other day they must have been open early Too. I had the same experience seeing someone heading out with a full cart and I was there early :)

Cheers
    Roger
    Yeah, a little odd Ed about the store hours....mine is usually open 24/7, but I noticed their web site said they would be open 9a-10p? So, mine 'may' have closed last night?? Makes no sense...but. I'm not going there. Glad you got there early
    White Sweet Potatoes....red skinned? Let me know what you thought of them. I got one about a month ago....and some mashed ones came to the Turkey Day table.......you review, and I'll agree or explain! :)
    Hope J has a safe trip to Kentucky also.

Roger, the onions were sautéed, before they went into the oven. No need to bread them...just adding more calories, and 'wheat' or 'Flour'...either name a no go at my house.
    They are good though!! If I didn't post the recipe, but I will if your interested. I really should anyhow, they make a great little snack, and also are 'party' food.
    I checked your link...mise en place...is pretty much like sous chef, only Wiki says Sous Chef is more 'industrial/commercial/restaurant' kitchen person.... Which ever, somebody cooks, somebody cleans, and somebody is the 3rd hand...:) as long as the food is good, right????

Need to think about lunch for a few minutes.

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    That is me, I measure out ingredients, Wash up etc. Today I greased the loaf pans and filled them while my Brother did the rest.

The Make & Bake the Sweet potato pie part is is half done, It is in the oven.
    Make & Bake the Bacardi Rum Cake, I did that while my Brother was busy doing something else. It smelled delicious baking too. He Picked up some of the needed items today such as the Bundt Cake Pan and Rum.
    Finished making the Third batch of Fruit Cakes and Baking them, now cooling on the cooling rack.
    Finished making the Cranberry Sauce and it is chilling in the refrigerator.

A good Friend sent this to us as belated Birthday gifts and mentioned I hope it doesn't ruin Your diets :)
    This is from their website. aalvwifn1yim.jpg

http://www.winecountrygiftbaskets.com/CHOCOLATE-AND-SWEETS-TOWER/540
    Contents:Yves Thuries: Dark Chocolate Ganache Truffle (2pc)
    Dark Chocolate Caramel Truffle (1pc)
    Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Truffle (1pc)
    Dolcetto Chocolate Wafer Bites (0.7oz)
    Godiva Truffle: Caramel Nut Brownie (1pc)
    Chocolate Lava Cake (1pc)
    Creme Brulee (1pc)
    Pecan Caramel Sundae (1pc)
    Dark Chocolate (1pc)
    Milk Chocolate (1pc)
    Lindt Lindor Truffle Balls: Milk Chocolate (1pc)
    Dark Chocolate (1pc)
    60% Extra Dark Chocolate (1pc)
    Butterscotch Candy (5oz)
    Peanut Crunch (3oz)
    Chocolate Hazelnut Wafer Cookies (3.25oz)
    Candy Apple Caramels (2.5oz)
    Caramel Popcorn (5oz)
    Shortbread Raspberry Cookies (8oz)

Hmmm... :):(

If You post the recipe I can then save it in My Documents folder :) OTOH I do not want to be a nuisance.

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
    540.jpg 24.3K