Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member

Hi Ed
    I liked that link, Thank You
    Val, I'm sure you can make a smaller version of the casserole than I did. Mine used a couple of onions, a couple of medium potatoes, two avocados, several cups of cooked rice, two cans of chili beans, and enough shredded cheddar to give it a nice top. I expect the vegan shreds (maybe pepper jack?) would do beautifully.

The Casserole Looks tasty, I am sure You enjoyed it.
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi ! Sorry to take so long getting here.
    Saw the Ortho Doc today! He's middle aged, a Brit. Finished his training here in MN at Mayo Clinic. We..covered reading the x-rays, how all the tendons work, how the cast should allow the bone to regrow and connect to the chunk (my term) of bone that broke off and was still attached to the tendon. How lucky I was that it was the outside of the thumb, and not the finger side of the thumb. He hasn't discounted surgery, but assured me he'd like to not do surgery. (Makes me happy)...and without coaching, he got the bone health triad absolutely correct....calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin D. Not once did he tell me to drink milk or eat cheese!! I love this guy! He understands nutrition! Yea!!! Back to his office on Jan. 30th for more xrays to confirm healing...new cast if needed..etc.

Came home took pix of my little 'mini cast'...meaning only half way up my arm, and fingers and knuckles exposed and also the nail end of my thumb. Can't get my finger and thumb to meet, so still can't tie shoe laces. and a few things, but a big help.

Today also brought a really good nap, and cat and I have rocked and he snoozed thru the local news..
    Now ready to head to the kitchen to make dinner. BTW...ED...I could so do that 'shipwreck' casserole that you layered!!! I see that happening sometime this week! I think I can trust my fingers with a sharp knife...if not, will microwave the potato and then cut it, and will need to pick up salsa, pre-sliced onion, and an avocado. Bet I could even toss in a few slices of zucchini, and perhaps even a handful of black olives if I wanted to get 'fancy'...LOL about the fancy!

Where is Lee-Ann?? She's been AWOL for a couple of days. Hope all is well for her.

Loved all the cartoons, etc. We're a happy laughing bunch if nothing else!

Later...

HI Valerie
    I guess it is the best that can be expected after breaking the thumb. It has to be a real nuisance. I had a hand at a time immobilized after Carpal Tunnel surgery and do not recall having problems with my Show laces. I hope You get that figured out, Otherwise Velcro fastener shoes :(

Enjoy the Casserole. It did look tasty.

I do my best to be cheerful and spread cheer
    Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Tuesday Morning!
    Going to be overcast today, but warm! No complaints!
    Enjoying my cup of coffee and planning out my day. I'll be biking, and cooking, and I have several webinars stacking up to watch...won't be bored for sure.
    Roger, Sorry you're not feeling up to par...hopefully it will pass quickly.
    Ed, thanks for the amounts that you used in your Shipwreck Casserole. Yes, mine will be much smaller, but I have an idea on ingredient percentages now.
    I have sliced cheddar, FYH cheese, and could dice that for the top, or as you suggested, Pepper Jack does sound good. Still need to get out and get an avocado though.
    Tom's had his breakfast, and asked to go out..I obliged that request! He stayed out most of yesterday, and then demanded to be rocked...and slept on my lap.????? Cats are weird! :)

Ok, time to heat up some breakfast, and make a pot of green tea...

Later...
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,226 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! I've been up for an hour or so. Didn't get to bed until after midnight, because J and I were watching a video, but Lilo insisted on me getting up before 8:00 this morning, going into "vulture on the headboard" mode finally to push the issue.

So I got up and boiled some eggs for breakfast and am now pondering a grocery run, though waiting until tomorrow might be better...I could catch the tail end of last week's sales though...which I never DID get to.

The casserole is definitely a keeper, though next time I may sauté the onions before making that layer, the bottom was just a tad watery.

There is plenty of casserole left, though J did have a second serving. He liked it too. I stopped after one fairly large serving myself.

So I'm glad I let Eduardo loose last night.

Oh well, need to clear the sink and ponder grocery...

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    This recipe sounds tasty! Found it on the web.

SINGAPORE NOODLES WITH CRISPY TOFU

PREP TIME
    30 mins

COOK TIME
    15 mins

TOTAL TIME
    45 mins

Serves: 6

INGREDIENTS

CRISPY TOFU
    14oz. firm or extra firm tofu
    Pinch of salt
    2 Tbsp cornstarch
    1.5 Tbsp cooking oil

STIR FRY SAUCE
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
    1 Tbsp sriracha
    1 Tbsp rice vinegar
    2 Tbsp mild curry powder*

STIR FRY
    8oz. rice vermicelli or rice sticks
    1.5 Tbsp cooking oil
    2 cloves garlic
    1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
    4 green onions, divided
    9oz. bag shredded cabbage and carrots

INSTRUCTIONS
    Remove the tofu from the package and wrap it in a clean, lint-free towel, or paper towels. Place the wrapped tofu between two cutting boards or plates, and place something heavy on top (books, a pot of water, etc.). Press the tofu for about 30 minutes to extract the excess moisture.

While the tofu is pressing, prepare the stir fry sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, sesame oil, sriracha, rice vinegar, and curry powder. Set the sauce aside.

Place the rice noodles in a casserole dish or large bowl and pour boiling water over top. Let the noodles soak for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Drain the noodles in a colander and set them aside until needed.

Once the tofu has pressed, cut it into small cubes (3/4 to 1-inch). Place the cubes in a bowl and season with a pinch of salt. Sprinkle the cornstarch over top and gently toss until the cubes are coated.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add one to 1.5 Tbsp cooking oil and tilt the skillet to distribute it over the surface. Add the cornstarch coated tofu cubes and cook until golden brown and crispy on all sides. Remove the tofu from the skillet.

While the tofu is cooking, mince the garlic and grate the ginger. Slice the green onions, separating the white ends from the green ends.

After removing the tofu from the skillet, add a bit more cooking oil along with the ginger, garlic, and the white ends of the sliced green onions. Sauté for about one minute, or just until they begin to soften.

Add the bag of shredded cabbage and carrots and continue to sauté for about one minute more. Only sauté the cabbage until it looks like it's just beginning to wilt.

Add the drained rice noodles, prepared sauce, and fried tofu cubes back to the skillet. Carefully stir and toss the contents of the skillet until everything is combined and coated with sauce. Turn off the heat and sprinkle the green ends of the green onions over top.

NOTES
    The sauce is fairly spicy from the sriracha, so be aware that if you use spicy curry powder, the dish will be extremely spicy.
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2017
    Good Tuesday Morning!
    Enjoying my cup of coffee and planning out my day. I'll be biking, and cooking, and I have several webinars stacking up to watch...won't be bored for sure.
    Ed, thanks for the amounts that you used in your Shipwreck Casserole. Yes, mine will be much smaller, but I have an idea on ingredient percentages now.
    I have sliced cheddar, FYH cheese, and could dice that for the top, or as you suggested, Pepper Jack does sound good. Still need to get out and get an avocado though.
    Tom's had his breakfast, and asked to go out..I obliged that request! He stayed out most of yesterday, and then demanded to be rocked...and slept on my lap.????? Cats are weird! :)

Later...

It occurs to me that you wouldn't necessarily have to dice up the cheese. In the past I've often just laid slices, edge to edge, on top of a casserole, put it back in the oven, and when it all melts together it's the same result. I just generally have better flavors of shreds handy in my refrigerator, as I don't keep a lot of sliced cheese on hand. Eduardo would just use it all on something or eat it...very little control when it comes to cheese slices, except for American. Even Velveeta slices tend to get used quickly for things other than sandwiches. LOL

• GardenKatGardens
    Yeah Ed, I thought of that...but if I diced it or used shreds (I have Mozzarella shreds) I tend to get less calories, fat, etc with the same taste value! Or at least that's my thoughts. :)
  • RogerToo
    Good Tuesday Morning!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    It sounds as if You plan to be busy today :)

I did get my walking in today I just spread it out over three sessions, two in the house and one this afternoon outdoors after it warmed up. Tomorrow will tell the tale as to how that affects my health. I hope it passes quickly too.

It does sound like weird behavior to me, OTOH what do I know about cats.

I hope You Have a Nice Evening
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I have not walked today, I am still feeling poorly.Between the coughing and runny nose I decided I should not go infect others with whatever this is.
    The temperature was 38 degrees this morning, Yesterdays forecast of heavy rain was wrong. We had intermittent light rain and that was all.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning!
    Roger I hope you are feeling much better today! You did a good thing by not spreading your germs around at your morning stops. They should all thank you! If everybody was that considerate we'd have a lot less flu and colds.

Ed?? How did I beat Ed? Must be a sleep in day for Lilo :)

Going to look at the store ads...but I don't need anything...Ted and I shopped on Sunday. But I may see something either 'irresistible' or I may need fresh things by the weekend?
    Going to the local beauty school and let them wash my hair and blow it out. No way I can do that right now. Give the students another head to practice on. :) (its too far to run to Decatur for a wash & dry) I checked on the little shop near Publix...they wanted too much money for what they were going to do.

I really don't know anything new or more than I've already mentioned, so...

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

I've been up since just before 7:00 but that was after painfully getting back to sleep after the rude awakening in the wee hours by the Amber Alert...I do believe in that system. I DO. But it really should honor the DO NOT DISTURB setting on the phone.

When one has DO NOT DISTURB set, that means the person doesn't wish to be disturbed. My mother and my spouse are allowed to ring through even on that setting, but that's all I want to be able to ring through.

DO NOT DISTURB means I'm probably asleep, or in a meeting, or hiding from a burglar or kidnapper, or whatever other reason I don't want the phone making noise.

Now I've heard some people say that it's so important it's worth it. I agree that it's important. But I disagree on it being "worth it" as no one I know is likely to get up from bed at an hour they normally sleep, get dressed, and get out on the streets to look for a specific make and model of vehicle with a certain license plate.

I'm sure there ARE people who ARE awake at that hour and may even already be out on the streets.

I've heard arguments that the Amber Alert system should be shut down for phones, during "normal" sleep hours, but I disagree on that too, as my "normal" sleep hours may not match someone else's "normal" sleep hours.

And I've heard suggestions that one can turn on "Airplane" mode when going to sleep. Well, this will silence the alert, to be sure, but it will also lock out my mother and my spouse from waking me, in case of dire family need.

Or one could just turn the phone off entirely, but then the morning wake up alarm, or the reminder that you have a dentist appointment at 9:00, which do bypass DO NOT DISTURB, will not go off so that isn't really an option either.

While it may sound crass and cruel to say that, yes, I'll get up and even get dressed and get out for my mother and/or spouse, if necessary, and not for some unknown missing person...I suspect it's that way for most people. Family emergencies do take precedence over strangers who may not even be in the immediate area at all. And people who work need their sleep, not only to work but to DRIVE TO WORK safely.

So I am not going to put the phone in "Airplane" mode when I'm asleep, or turn it off entirely, but I will continue to use DO NOT DISTURB mode for that.

Again, I recognize the importance of the Amber Alert system, but in a truly practical sense, just about NO ONE will be jumping out of bed, getting dressed, and getting out on the road, even if the alert IS in the immediate area (which it often is not) so it's more likely that people will get irritated and just TURN OFF AMBER ALERTS on their phone and not receive them at all.

This would sort of negate the usefulness of the system, no?

Just program the darn built in, automatic app to respect DO NOT DISTURB mode on the phone, or put that as an option for each type of emergency alert! People can then leave it active, read the alert after waking, or ending the meeting, or getting away from the murderer, or whatever, and then respond accordingly, if any response is actually required.

OK. Off the grumpy soap box...

Sink is already cleared but do need to get out soon, maybe today, to buy canned food for Lilo.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning Ed!
    Got the same Amber Alert....and it did take awhile to get back to sleep...which caused me to be a 'late (8a.m.) riser' this morning.
    It is a dilemma...that and the weather alert that announces itself at 3:30 in the morning. Remember last week...3:30 on THURSDAY morning so that I'd know we were having an ice storm on Saturday. That really irks me!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Good Morning Ed!
    Got the same Amber Alert....and it did take awhile to get back to sleep...which caused me to be a 'late (8a.m.) riser' this morning.
    It is a dilemma...that and the weather alert that announces itself at 3:30 in the morning. Remember last week...3:30 on THURSDAY morning so that I'd know we were having an ice storm on Saturday. That really irks me!

Later...

If a tornado is about to come roaring through my county, like in the very immediate future, then yes, I might not mind being alerted at 2:15 in the morning...or 3:30 or whatever, but not for some event that won't be happening for hours, or even days. That can wait.

I don't want to turn these alerts OFF, but I don't want them waking me at times when I don't need to respond immediately or can't. I always took the Amber Alerts to mean, if one HAPPENS to be out and about, keep an eye out for that vehicle. I doubt many people jump out of bed in the wee hours and rush out to look for the vehicle, even if it IS in their town or county. I also understand that people sleep at different times, so making alert times settable by the user would be ideal! Or just having it obey the DO NOT DISTURB setting...

• GardenKatGardens
    Not a cartoon! This was an ad in the weekly 'Red Plum' sales papers in my mailbox today!
    Somebody wasn't paying attention...
    o5cyzd0kns2h.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    I just want to know if Monday threw Saturday...where did Saturday land??? LOL!!!
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2017
    Dinner tonight:

Parmesan and herb encrusted pork chop, Cheddar mashed potatoes, lightly buttered steamed broccoli.

Wine of choice: Placer Andaluz Chardonnay, 2015. Chardonnay isn’t, generally, my favorite white wine but this particular one is very good and paired splendidly with this dinner.

And I have another full plate of this for another meal!

• RogerToo
    I2Hlbq.jpg

ipVuzk.jpg

3ECwI5.gif

ZyKDTU.jpg

nTC13g.png
  • RogerToo
    edited January 2017
    Hi
    I will be brief.

I have not walked today, I am still feeling poorly. Between the occasional coughing and runny nose I decided I should not go infect others with whatever this is. Add in the general feeling of weakness, It is amazing that something You can not even see has the effect on a person :(

The temperature was 39 degrees this morning, a 1 degree increase from yesterday. It is still gloomy looking out the window with cloudy skies. The Sun is forecast to make an appearance This afternoon, It has been a few days too.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited January 2017
    Yeah Ed, I thought of that...but if I diced it or used shreds (I have Mozzarella shreds) I tend to get less calories, fat, etc with the same taste value! Or at least that's my thoughts. :)
    Hi Valerie
    That could be true as with slices You cover the surface with a layer the thickness of the slice vs Shreds where You can leave little gaps and still get the taste :)
    Good Morning!
    Roger I hope you are feeling much better today! You did a good thing by not spreading your germs around at your morning stops. They should all thank you! If everybody was that considerate we'd have a lot less flu and colds.

Ed?? How did I beat Ed? Must be a sleep in day for Lilo :)

Going to look at the store ads...but I don't need anything...Ted and I shopped on Sunday. But I may see something either 'irresistible' or I may need fresh things by the weekend?
    Going to the local beauty school and let them wash my hair and blow it out. No way I can do that right now. Give the students another head to practice on. :) (its too far to run to Decatur for a wash & dry) I checked on the little shop near Publix...they wanted too much money for what they were going to do.

I really don't know anything new or more than I've already mentioned, so...

Later...

I used to cringe inside and keep as far away as possible when a customer came into work with one of those deep raspy coughs. Strangely I did not catch anything that way, Now that I have less exposure to the public here I am brought down by an invisible invader :(

Our Local grocery Store circulars arrived in the afternoon mail Wednesday and my brother was poring over the ShopRite one right away, Despite that it does not take effect until Sunday. If I had to guess he was comparing next weeks to this weeks to decide what or if to go buy Saturday.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

P.S. Enjoy the Humor, Dog owners and cat owners will get them.
  • RogerToo
    Hi Ed

Hi Lee-Ann