Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    edited January 2017
    Good Cold Saturday Morning!
    (Roger, can I call 35 degrees with wind cold?, or am I being 'southern') :)

Little note just said Ed's posted. Good! I was a bit surprised to be first poster.

Hair cut today and time with DS2...thats the plan for the day!

Later...

Ok, read Ed's post...so I can safely say its cold!! LOL!
    I'm with you on the soup Ed... just not the animal ones. :) I also noticed from the TV ad's that frozen veg's are $0.88.

I need to check on Tom...no doubt he's waiting to come in.
    Again...Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I was out walking for 9.7K Steps. The temperature is 6 degrees colder than yesterday's 41 degrees.

Later today I'll be going to the ShopRite to pick up some of the food on sale. $10 for 5 Smart Ones Frozen Entrees. Toss in a coupon for a free one with the purchase of 7 and that works out to be $1.75 each for 8 of them.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning!
    Have a load of laundry going, oven is roasting brussels, baby carrots, onion, cauliflower, and broccoli! Me? I'm just doing little things like watching a webinar and today's featured speaker was my co-favorite Dr. John McDougall, MD. I love this guy! My other is Dr. Neal Barnard...I think he's a speaker maybe over the weekend... also popping up and down to let Tom E. either in or out, and emptied the dishwasher, etc.

Ted (DS2) sent me a text this morning saying R Thomas has died. I really liked his food, his eclectic restaurant, and today reading his bio, he was 82 years old, the founder of a small company in NC which grew to become Bojangles...and he was President of Kentucky Fried Chicken. I did not know all of those things...his influence on ATL's places for me to eat was so appreciated. We, boys, friends, etc. and I have been customers since we moved to ATL in 1988. RThomas opened this restaurant in 1985. I wonder if the restaurant will continue, or if it will be sold?

Roasted veggies done, sweet potato and Russet are still baking :)

I think lunch today will be earlier than usual! :)

Roger you mentioned snow-ish stuff on your way home...are you expecting more?

Ed, I'd of course heard Chipmunks sing Christmas songs...but Wild Irish Rose was new to me..

Weekend looks like Hair cut and time with Ted on Saturday, then hockey (but not til 12:20a.) on Sunday, and then Jack is coming my way to switch out 4 door knobs with lever type openers. Will greatly aid my getting doors open! I have lever handle on my front door...along with a deadbolt! :)

Ok, Later...

Hi Valerie
    I have heard of Bojangles, the closest one is 108 miles away in Pennsylvania and is the only one in Pa. The next closest ones are in Maryland near Washington DC and nearly 200 miles away :)

The soonest possibility is a clipper system that may leave an accumulation Sunday night into Monday morning...

I will agree that lever locks are easier. The fixture I put into the one bathroom to replace a worn out fixture has the levers and they work so smooth and easy I may end up changing the others rather than repairing them :)
    Good Cold Saturday Morning!
    (Roger, can I call 35 degrees with wind cold?, or am I being 'southern') :)

Little note just said Ed's posted. Good! I was a bit surprised to be first poster.

Hair cut today and time with DS2...thats the plan for the day!

Later...

Ok, read Ed's post...so I can safely say its cold!! LOL!
    I'm with you on the soup Ed... just not the animal ones. :) I also noticed from the TV ad's that frozen veg's are $0.88.

I need to check on Tom...no doubt he's waiting to come in.
    Again...Later...

I call 35 degrees cold too. So no You are not being Southern.

Nothing wrong with Buying on sale and I find that Frozen vegetables are tasty and convenient.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I havebeen MIA - working has been getting in the way. But I have been thinking of everyone here. Most especially, I am glad to see Val posted. I saw pictures of the storms in Atlanta this past week and was worried about you.
    Hoping everyone is doing okay...now back under the pile of work...maybe I will emerge around Ground hog day - with the ground hog!
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    Real Life comes first. It is hard to believe it nearly Ground Hog Day. That means it is time to watch the Bill Murray movie :)

Stay Warm as the temperatures drop this weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Well, y'all, my CSA box arrived in good order today, and so far Eduardo has torn up a head of hydroponic Bibb lettuce, sliced half a fairly large cucumber, diced up a yellow bell pepper, cut a tomato into bite size pieces, made Thousand Islands style salad dressing, and opened a bottle of red wine. I think a frozen pizza may be the dinner plan, after we each eat a large plate of salad. The two salad plates are all made up and ready to top and dress.

Oh, and I ate a small Pink Lady apple from the box, as a mid-afternoon snack, with a thick slice of marble Colby.

The avocados are not yet ready to eat, but I expect by Monday at the latest they will be, if not ready by Sunday. They tend to ripen fairly fast. We haven't had guacamole for a while so that may be in the works from these avocados.

Dessert, if eaten at all, may be a kiwi, as there were four of them in the box.

The mango from the box needs to ripen a couple of days too, and then it will be sliced up for the sugar gliders as it's one of their favorite fruits. They still have one piece left for their food tonight and then they will have to have some apple or some dried fruit until the next mango is ready. I have plenty of options there.

Welcome back Lee Ann! Looked like most of the storms went south of Valerie and me. My brother south of Macon saw much more wind than we did.
    Hi Ed
    I like the Pink Lady Apples :)

Enjoy Your Box of goodies.

I only use the Thousand Island Salad dressing on sandwiches as a alternative to Mayo or ketchup. Strangely I eat my Salad Plain.
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday!

32 degrees out there now and only supposed to get to 52 today. J has a board meeting this afternoon but I don't need to be there. Unless he has something we both need to do after it, I'll probably just stay home. The meetings are, of course, open to guest members who may wish to observe, but I'd be bored silly. Now if it was a lunch meeting, and in a restaurant in a shopping center, then I might go as I could shop after eating.

Need to water the indoor plants today and get Lilo's bowl from last night out of the sink.

I cold go to Kroger and try to save another $3.00 or more buying six mix-or-match items...I got three cans of clam chowder and three cans of steak soup the other day, but didn't see a whole lot of other things on the list that I really would need or use. I may look at the list again. The saving brought the chunky soups down to just 99 cents which was why I bought 6, three of each of the two that sounded tasty to me. Easy dinners for me on nights when Eduardo is on strike, LOL. I don't buy canned soups or stews often but for a once in a while easy meal. Those might sit in there for months gathering dust, though on a cold winter day a nice bowl of piping hot soup that is ready to heat and eat can be a wondrous thing.

I hear that bowl in the sink calling to me. And the bed may be competing! It's a bit chilly in here this morning.
    Buy on sale and save :)

There have been days I felt like a nice hot soup too. I usually just use the NS ones from the cupboard those days however as I bought them. These days I find that many of the canned soups taste salty and I used to love them too :(

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,220 Member
    Lunch today was a small tenderloin steak, pan-seared in ghee, seasoned with just salt, pepper, and rosemary. Eduardo then insisted on pan frying a few Ore Ida Mashed Potato Bites in the remaining ghee and rendered fat for the carb. A little bowl with some Starne's hot sauce and a diet caffeine free Pepsi completed the meal.

So far the 6 cans of soup are safe in the cupboard.

I hadn't noticed the 88 cent veggies, and may need to get back to the store tomorrow to see what I can find. I love to use the Kroger mixed vegetables for soup.

Eduardo can take one bag of those, a quart of unsalted vegetable broth, some salt, herbs, and seasoning, just a splash of olive oil, MAYBE some diced onion and/or minced garlic, and have a delicious pot of hot, spicy vegetable soup ready in less than an hour. Optionally (but usually) a medium sized potato is diced up and added after the vegetables have been simmering for 15 minutes or so, and there MAY be some tomato paste or sauce stirred in as well, but neither the potato or tomato is definite and even with just the vegetable broth the soup is delicious.

Of course sometimes, if the soup is just for me and J isn't sharing, it will be unsalted beef broth and some diced up steak, or browned hamburger tossed in with the veggies with, again, the potato and/or tomato being optional.

For poultry soups it's the unsalted chicken broth, but just frozen carrots or perhaps peas and carrots, with optional minced or finely chopped celery. Usually don't care so much for potato in poultry soups and the same goes for tomato, unless it's gumbo.

Of course one COULD make the vegetable soup from all fresh vegetables, but the odds of me just happening to have fresh green beans, peas, carrots, corn, etc. and Eduardo actually feeling like prepping all that are a bit low...much more convenient to use the frozen mix and pretty close to being just as good!

I guess I need to get Eduardo to work in the back of my mind on dinner tonight...perhaps something with cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, bell pepper, onion...and, of course, a salad.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    We ended up going to a movie tonight so I just warmed up some frozen corn dog bites for me and made a breakfast plate for J for late dinner. Now need to get to bed before I turn into a pumpkin at midnight.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 35 degrees out there. 40% chance of rain today, with high of only 51 predicted.

Might need to get to the store today, and J needs to buy gas. Maybe I'll drive his car to the store and get gas!

So for a bit of light amusement, watch American kids try Chinese food!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1D9m2Gkq7s
  • RogerToo
    pjakIT.png
    I know I'm running late with this one :)

s5bJpb.png

ddouie.png

OLvg7F.png

LvpZQ3.png

hY72VM.jpg
  • RogerToo
    edited January 2017
    Hi
    I was out walking for 10.3K Steps. The temperature is 35 degrees and a nice windless day. The lack of wind means that it felt more comfortable walking than yesterday despite being slightly cooler. There is a slight possibility of snow coming as far north as where I am in my area with south NJ showing as having the snow. There is likely to be snow Tuesday however :(

Yesterday I went to the ShopRite to pick up some of the food on sale. $10 for 5 Smart Ones Frozen Entrees. Toss in a coupon for a free one with the purchase of 7 and that works out to be $1.75 each for 8 of them. Not a bad price :)

I had a nice thing happen earlier this week as a type of NSV. I was leaving the Dunkin Donuts Wednesday when a customer leaving behind me complimented me on getting out walking. He mentioned he saw me walking to stay healthy every day. :)

As I was walking back towards home I saw traffic stopped both ways on a main road, When I got a little closer I saw the reason, a Gaggle of Geese were walking slowly across the road.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    And here are kids tasting Japanese food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxPJtTiXV10
  • RogerToo
    edited January 2017
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 35 degrees out there. 40% chance of rain today, with high of only 51 predicted.

Might need to get to the store today, and J needs to buy gas. Maybe I'll drive his car to the store and get gas!

So for a bit of light amusement, watch American kids try Chinese food!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1D9m2Gkq7s
    Hi Ed
    I liked the video :)

First thing that popped into my head when You said store and get gas, "Eds Buying Beans"
    Around here The only stores that have gas pumps are Some of the CostCo and Convenience stores such as WaWa, 7-Eleven or Quick Chek and not most of them either.

Stay Dry & Warm
    Roger

P.S. I just saw where You Posted Japanese foods, I'll have to go look at that one.
  • GardenKatGardens
    Quick hello!
    Need to hop into the shower and head for hockey. Been up...first it was gardening article from the Raulston gardens in NC...then I started watching and laughing at kids trying to eat Chinese foods, and then the Japanese foods. Sad to say, but many of them do the same thing with ANY food. (and that includes my buddy M...she just does not like to eat 'strange' food!).. Loved those video's....
    And Roger again you scored with the cartoons!
    Enjoy your snow, and please do not feel obligated to share. Though, I think its been about 3 years since we've had real snow...and so we're close to being 'due'....ugh.
    Ok, be back later???
  • RogerToo
    edited January 2017
    Hi Valerie
    Funny You should mention the snow. So far for us this winter has not been to bad that way.

I'm glad You liked the humor.

Enjoy the Hockey
    Roger

P.S. I updated my earlier post
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    FWIW I have heard that many people react like that to Natto, As I understand it You either love it or hate it with no real middle ground.
  • parityanimal
    Well, I got to the store. Didn't buy any beans unless you count the green bean in the frozen mixed vegetables.

Lord save us from idiot baggers!

He put the two bottles of wine ON TOP of the croutons, and put the pie in the bag and basket upside down! I didn't notice either of these things until I was putting stuff away in the car, but If I'd been still in the store (and/or if it had been the sort of pie where that mattered more) I would been back in there speaking to the manager who was running that register, and suggesting they give that sacker additional sacker training because it clearly didn't take the first time.

I think J is making a frittata for dinner. I'll wait and see...

• GardenKatGardens
    "Lord save us from idiot baggers"! Amen! They're out there. Like my bag of cilantro UNDER 3 one liter bottles of sparkling water...which I set in the bar...and found the cilantro about 4 days later....YUCK!

I came here to thank Ed for something he didn't even know he'd caused..... :)
    Remember the liquid I drained off my Shipwreck Casserole??? That made the most delicious gravy. I used that instead of my usual veg. broth. The rest of the gravy is 2 T. Beesan flour, and 1 T. Tahini. heat til it boils and thickens, which happens almost immediately, sprinkle with black pepper and I use it as a sauce on veg. or beans, and gravy on smashed potatoes, etc. I've been meaning to post this for days now. Thanks Ed!!

Roger, I'm amazed at how quickly you bounced back after your cold/flu??? Sounds like you're doing great. Wonderful NSV the other day. Its great when people not only notice but give you compliments!

Ok, my day is done. Sink could use Eduardo's touch, but if he doesn't have time I'll catch them tomorrow.

Tomorrow I go for x-rays on my thumb. Fingers crossed that this bone chip is being reattached to the bone without surgical help...........

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2017
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 32 degrees out there now, and supposed to get to 53 today.

J ended up not feeling like making a frittata (no real surprise there) so Eduardo filled the breach with a big dish of roasted potato, cauliflower, carrot, and onion, done shake 'n bake style by putting all the cut veggies in a gallon freezer bag, adding some salt, black pepper, east Indian ground red chili pepper, cumin, turmeric, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, and two tablespoons or so of cayenne infused olive oil. After a good, thorough shaking and massaging to ensure that all the veggies looked fairly evenly coated, this was dumped into a prepared 9x13 glass cake pan and baked in a preheated oven at 400 for about an hour and a quarter so the veggies got tender and nicely browned.

This shake 'n bake dish turned out absolutely delicious, and not too terribly spicy, but spicy enough. I added some protein on the side for my dinner and had a fairly small serving of the veggies (potatoes, you know...) and J had the rest, in two large servings, with no side protein.

It was another "let's see what there is and especially what needs to be used up" dinners Eduardo has so much fun tossing together! Really only the carrots were a "need to be used up" item but even they could have waited another few days if necessary.

I think the avocados are probably ready today so guacamole may be in the works, as a topping for a frittata (that I...er that Eduardo makes) or as a filling in an omelet.

Eddie needs to get to the sink soon.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo

Hi
    I was out walking for 7.7K Steps. The temperature is 31 degrees and a nice windless day. The lack of wind means that it felt comfortable walking. The slight possibility of snow coming as far north as where I am has not happened, South NJ is showing as having the snow. There is likely to be snow Tuesday however :(

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Well, I got to the store. Didn't buy any beans unless you count the green bean in the frozen mixed vegetables.

Lord save us from idiot baggers!

He put the two bottles of wine ON TOP of the croutons, and put the pie in the bag and basket upside down! I didn't notice either of these things until I was putting stuff away in the car, but If I'd been still in the store (and/or if it had been the sort of pie where that mattered more) I would been back in there speaking to the manager who was running that register, and suggesting they give that sacker additional sacker training because it clearly didn't take the first time.

I think J is making a frittata for dinner. I'll wait and see...
    Hi Ed
    Locally they do not use baggers, The Cashier and/or Customers do the bagging. Did the Croutons survive being crushed?

Just curious what sort of pie was it that survived being upside down?
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 32 degrees out there now, and supposed to get to 53 today.

J ended up not feeling like making a frittata (no real surprise there) so Eduardo filled the breach with a big dish of roasted potato, cauliflower, carrot, and onion, done shake 'n bake style by putting all the cut veggies in a gallon freezer bag, adding some salt, black pepper, east Indian ground red chili pepper, cumin, turmeric, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, and two tablespoons or so of cayenne infused olive oil. After a good, thorough shaking and massaging to ensure that all the veggies looked fairly evenly coated, this was dumped into a prepared 9x13 glass cake pan and baked in a preheated oven at 400 for about an hour and a quarter so the veggies got tender and nicely browned.

This shake 'n bake dish turned out absolutely delicious, and not too terribly spicy, but spicy enough. I added some protein on the side for my dinner and had a fairly small serving of the veggies (potatoes, you know...) and J had the rest, in two large servings, with no side protein.

It was another "let's see what there is and especially what needs to be used up" dinners Eduardo has so much fun tossing together! Really only the carrots were a "need to be used up" item but even they could have waited another few days if necessary.

I think the avocados are probably ready today so guacamole may be in the works, as a topping for a frittata (that I...er that Eduardo makes) or as a filling in an omelet.

Eddie needs to get to the sink soon.

I have things in the freezer & refrigerator that should be used up too. I add fresh carrots to the frozen vegetable Mix which has affects both the variety in the vegetables and extends the servings in a large bag of CostCo frozen vegetables too.

Avocados are something I never really eat TBH I just never got into the taste. The last Avocado I bought to try never got eaten before going bad. The Shake & bake sounds delicious however.

Have a Nicer Day
    Roger