Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,220 Member
    That picture was my favorite lo carb salad!
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning!
    February already! Planning to make this month 'productive'...
    Yes, the stickers should be interesting. Knowing those two, I can't even guess what they might bring! Guess I'll know tomorrow :)
    Off to the grocery shortly. Just finishing my coffee.
    Supposed to be warm again today, probably not a record breaking 73 like yesterday, but surely not 4 letter word conditions...even if sweeping with a broom!
    Glad it was a slight snow for you Roger. If your walk was comfy I will assume you've got your winter walking wear( :) ) in good order!!

Ok....will check in with you later.

Great cartoons this morning...Blinky thing and Hell frozen over were my fav's.. :)
  • GardenKatGardens
    edited February 2017
    Oh, crud!
    Roger, you asked days and days ago what was Beesan. It is a misspelling of the word Besan, a ground chickpea flour. (specifically Bengal Gram beans)... I use it to thicken sauces, soups, etc. It doesn't lump like flour, and I like that it is from a bean.
    Gluten free also.
  • parityanimal
    Boy, my goose is sure going to be cooked now…

Along with a lot of chicken thighs!

Eddie had a field day at Kroger this morning!

I’d been watching those last four geese at Kroger, left over from Christmas, and waiting for them to be marked down, and hoping to get one for a good price, since I really can’t afford $50 for a relatively small bird. I haven’t cooked a goose in years, and I did pay around $50 for that one but that was pre-retirement. I’m sure other people have been watching too, and I rather doubted that I would be able to get one before they all sold, when marked down.

Anyway, today I went to Kroger and they marked them down WHILE I WAS THERE! How great is that? I had my pick of the four remaining geese since I was right there when they marked them down. New price? $1.49 per pound, to get rid of them quickly so they could put something else in that spot. My goose was marked down from 48.99 to 16.26!

So now I have a goose in the freezer! Not sure exactly when I’ll be cooking that, but I am looking forward to it!

They also had chicken thighs (and legs, separately) in vast quantities that they had to mark down because the warehouse had too many and they need to get it sold quickly. 16 chicken thighs have been subdivided into 8 two-piece meal packets for me, with 7 of the packets packed up in the freezer and one cooking now in the toaster oven for lunch.

Didn't buy any of the legs, as I prefer thighs and at those prices could certainly afford to buy plenty of thighs and pass on the legs.

Great shopping trip today!

20170201_102818_zpsgdnmsckr.jpg
  • parityanimal
    LUNCH!

20170201_113707_zpsunqw86ku.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Shipwreck casserole in the oven now!
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2017
    Kids try tea from all over the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC_WotxU5W0
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2017
    Dinner tonight:

Shipwreck Casserole. Layered potatoes, onion and bell pepper, guacamole, Spanish style rice, and chili beans. Topped at the end of cooking with queso quesadilla cheese and baked for 15 more minutes to nicely brown the cheese.

Wine of choice: Château Élan Muscadry. A luscious, fruity, off dry wine, grown and bottled here in Georgia.

I had 1/4 of this small casserole. J had half. 1/4 left for another meal, possibly his lunch tomorrow. If he's at the office instead of working from home, then my lunch!

20170201_184636_zpsl0cv1woi.jpg

20170201_190258_zpsbvdvdpnp.jpg

20170201_174021_zpsysy4q0t5.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    Ed...do let us know when your goose is cooked!!! Great Grab!!! Chicken thighs too. Those were always my favorites for the slow cooker...bone in..better taste.
    Just finished my dinner, and watched these kids try tea! LOL! I'd have thought some of them at least would have liked one or more of the teas...guess I'd have guessed really wrong!
    Now that I'm finished I will let Tom E Cat back in the house. He kept clawing my leg, but never could figure out why...has food and water, didn't want to go outside..(but eventually he was 'helped' out the door. My right thigh looks like I've been to war from him digging in to it. I hope we both live to see warm weather....
    Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning!
    Not quite as warm as yesterday, but very nice forecast for today.
    Ed, your 2nd edition of Shipwreck Casserole has me thinking...I have some guacamole that needs to be used up, and how about a can of spicy black beans to go with that instead of the chili beans? Hmmm. I may be seeing dinner! Or big lunch. Wonder if it will cook down and give me another cup of that great broth for more of my Besan Gravy? Hmmm!

Roger, hope your walk and financial status are both good today! (although with the 'spottiness of the money finds' I hope you have an alternative method for savings! LOL!!)
    Notice that is 'alternative method' not an 'alternative fact', she said shaking her head. What the heck was that woman thinking? Dumb on her!!

Shampoo and blow out at the beauty school...and Olivia Gymnastics tonite. So should have plenty of time to make another Shipwreck Casserole...
    oh, and laundry, and kitty box, and sweeper, and did I mention laundry? I need an assortment of Ed's hats today!!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2017
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 45 out there now, high expected of 63 with 40% chance of rain.

And it's GROUNDHOG DAY!

Last night's casserole was great! I didn't have any juice at the bottom this time but I used freeze dried potato slices and put them on the bottom instead of as a second layer, then added a little (but not too much) additional water to the guacamole layer (made it easier to spread too) and the chili beans layer and it worked out just right for rehydrating the potato slices while the casserole cooked, but without having it watery on bottom. I also chopped the onions and peppers because that makes it a bit neater to serve and eat, and J prefers the onions chopped rather than sliced.

Baked at 350, covered, for an hour and a half, to be sure the potatoes had fully rehydrated AND cooked to tender tastiness, then uncovered, added the last layer, cheese, and cooked for 15 more minutes to brown the cheese nicely.

Then, after standing on the stovetop for 15 minutes to cool slightly, and to set up, cut it and served, much to J's delight as he thought this second version was MUCH better than the first, and he had liked the first pretty well.

I think at this point Eduardo has pretty well nailed this one. Layers may vary slightly in future versions, of course, depending on what's available.

Valerie I think the spicy black beans would be perfect! I seriously thought of using black beans last night but didn't happen to have a can of the spicy, seasoned beans so went with the chili beans again.

Need to get the sink cleared, and may run to Kroger to check out any remaining sale chicken thighs...I've still got a bit of room in the freezer.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bd1hqHrUPU

• parityanimal
    edited February 2017
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    sPCv27.jpg

96UiLo.jpg

nglMpa.jpg

6QgQHG.png

SJRC9T.jpg

tYV6J1.png
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking for 10.7K Steps + 1 cent. The temperature is 35 degrees, and comfortable for walking.

I stopped at the Grocery Store for Bananas and Picked up a few loose Mixed nuts in the shell and some lightly salted Peanuts that are not bad for Sodium per serving. Then back to home for a Protein Shake and a few minutes later back out teh door to the bank timed to arrive after it opened.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    That picture was my favorite lo carb salad!
    Hi Ed
    Bacon, How far wrong can You go?
    Back before starting NS I used to cook the Pound package at one time and then put most of it in the refrigerator and use it in sandwiches for lunch and with Burgers for dinner :)
    Boy, my goose is sure going to be cooked now…

Along with a lot of chicken thighs!

Eddie had a field day at Kroger this morning!

I’d been watching those last four geese at Kroger, left over from Christmas, and waiting for them to be marked down, and hoping to get one for a good price, since I really can’t afford $50 for a relatively small bird. I haven’t cooked a goose in years, and I did pay around $50 for that one but that was pre-retirement. I’m sure other people have been watching too, and I rather doubted that I would be able to get one before they all sold, when marked down.

Anyway, today I went to Kroger and they marked them down WHILE I WAS THERE! How great is that? I had my pick of the four remaining geese since I was right there when they marked them down. New price? $1.49 per pound, to get rid of them quickly so they could put something else in that spot. My goose was marked down from 48.99 to 16.26!

So now I have a goose in the freezer! Not sure exactly when I’ll be cooking that, but I am looking forward to it!

They also had chicken thighs (and legs, separately) in vast quantities that they had to mark down because the warehouse had too many and they need to get it sold quickly. 16 chicken thighs have been subdivided into 8 two-piece meal packets for me, with 7 of the packets packed up in the freezer and one cooking now in the toaster oven for lunch.

Didn't buy any of the legs, as I prefer thighs and at those prices could certainly afford to buy plenty of thighs and pass on the legs.

Great shopping trip today!

20170201_102818_zpsgdnmsckr.jpg

It sounds as if You got a heck of a bargain on the Goose, Was it already frozen? When the price is right my Brother prefers Thighs too. They seem to end up on sale fairly often around here. I have also seen whole chickens for 99 cents a pound and I have seen Legs and Thighs as low as 49 cents a pound on sale.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning!
    February already! Planning to make this month 'productive'...
    Yes, the stickers should be interesting. Knowing those two, I can't even guess what they might bring! Guess I'll know tomorrow :)
    Off to the grocery shortly. Just finishing my coffee.
    Supposed to be warm again today, probably not a record breaking 73 like yesterday, but surely not 4 letter word conditions...even if sweeping with a broom!
    Glad it was a slight snow for you Roger. If your walk was comfy I will assume you've got your winter walking wear( :) ) in good order!!

Ok....will check in with you later.

Great cartoons this morning...Blinky thing and Hell frozen over were my fav's.. :)
    Hi Valerie
    I do have my gear in order. I wore two sweat shirts, a Hoodie and a reflective safety vest and used the Electrically heated Mittens :)

Those two were creative too.
    Oh, crud!
    Roger, you asked days and days ago what was Beesan. It is a misspelling of the word Besan, a ground chickpea flour. (specifically Bengal Gram beans)... I use it to thicken sauces, soups, etc. It doesn't lump like flour, and I like that it is from a bean.
    Gluten free also.
    I would not go so far as to say "Oh Crud" I can survive not knowing :)
    Good Morning!
    Not quite as warm as yesterday, but very nice forecast for today.
    Ed, your 2nd edition of Shipwreck Casserole has me thinking...I have some guacamole that needs to be used up, and how about a can of spicy black beans to go with that instead of the chili beans? Hmmm. I may be seeing dinner! Or big lunch. Wonder if it will cook down and give me another cup of that great broth for more of my Besan Gravy? Hmmm!

Roger, hope your walk and financial status are both good today! (although with the 'spottiness of the money finds' I hope you have an alternative method for savings! LOL!!)
    Notice that is 'alternative method' not an 'alternative fact', she said shaking her head. What the heck was that woman thinking? Dumb on her!!

Shampoo and blow out at the beauty school...and Olivia Gymnastics tonite. So should have plenty of time to make another Shipwreck Casserole...
    oh, and laundry, and kitty box, and sweeper, and did I mention laundry? I need an assortment of Ed's hats today!!

Later...

Not much of an alternative to finding money unless I go back to work part time.
    I am having a bit of a problem with impulse buys, No savings that way :(

Have a Nice Day and enjoy the new humor
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Yes, the goose was already frozen. Came home and went straight to my deep freeze in the garage. I'll get around to cooking it sometime...

Now need to get back to Kroger and see if there's more of those chicken thighs! I have a little bit more room in the freezer...

• parityanimal
    Well, they were out of the thighs, as I rather expected, but had a few drumsticks left. I decided at 39 cents a pound I could eat a few, so bought two packs. 28 drumsticks will make me a few meals. Divided them down to 4 per freezer pack and will figure on probably having two meals out of each pack, unless I'm really feeling like chicken!

That and a few other frozen things I bought have now totally filled up the refrigerator freezer and pretty much the deep freeze, though I'm sure I could manage to tuck a few small items in around the goose and/or the hams in the deep freeze and thus squeeze a bit more in there.

Kroger had some frozen dinners from Boston Market for just $1.88 so I bought several of those and they are in the freezers too, for those rare nights when I feel to blah to even think of cooking.

Dollar Tree had some frozen heat and serve links and brown and serve patties and I bought several of each for convenience so I've got plenty of breakfast type proteins in the freezers. They still had some of the country ham trimmings but their "eat by" date was January 18 so I decided I really didn't need any more salty country ham anyway, having finished off the bit I bought last month. If/when they get some within date I might treat myself to another pack or two.

I've had lunch and think I feel a nap attack coming on.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• GardenKatGardens
    Hi!
    Hair done, looks nice. Then I went to the gym, and home. Started my Shipwreck Casserole. I should have taken a pix. It is very good. The guacamole added a nice touch, and needed to be used..I did add a bit of salsa...the black beans..etc. Just a smattering of pizza type cheese shreds. Way too good to wait for dinner tonite...so I've been sorta nibbling on it all afternoon!!! Still planning to eat it tonite after O's gymnastics. Watched my Dr McDougall live broadcast from Kauai. Wish I had the money to go on one of their 10 day adventures. I'm sure its great fun.

So far it hasn't rained here...just heavy misty. Got the trash out to the street so if its raining when I get home I won't have to do it then...

Later...