Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning..its Wednesday!
    Groceries today. Also need to call about my splint. The splint is held in place with velcro..one of the velcro pads, which is held onto the splint with some kind of glue has pulled loose. Mind you there are 3 such straps, but since I'm wearing this thing for 2 more weeks I think it should probably be fixed.
    I know we're not 'political' here, but what happened last night in the senate should be a wake up call. What is happening to this country is appalling, and should be sending up red flags. I'll say no more. :neutral:
    Time for me to get moving...I think the coffee (decafe) is empty.
    Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I was out walking for 8.7K Steps, The temperature is 36 degrees and there seems to be a light fog and overnight there was some rain.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger

N.J.'s oldest nurse, 97, rewrites the rules on aging

As the digital numbers flashed on the blood pressure monitor, Emerson’s public health nurse got right to the point with her 82-year-old patient.

“When did you have your last physical? Do you go for a physical every year?” Kathryn Hodges asked.

"Not really,” Kenneth Dunne said.

“Well, you should,” the nurse said, jotting on a form. “We always say if that number is over 90, you should get it checked out. Are you on blood pressure medication? Did you get a flu shot?"

When “Kay” Hodges advises and cajoles, her words are bolstered by experience – three quarters of a century’s worth.

At 97, she is both New Jersey’s oldest licensed registered nurse and a poster girl for people who stay active and productive at such an advanced age.
    Those over 90 are the fastest-growing segment of the population. By 2050, 10 percent of all senior citizens will be either a nonagenarian or a centenarian, the Census Bureau forecasts.

Of course, physical or cognitive impairments, or both, enfeeble many in this age group. The most fortunate are like the fiercely independent Hodges, whose biggest complaint is a bothersome knee.

Look around and you’ll find people in their 90s living in their own homes, driving, volunteering, serving their communities and churches – even continuing in their professions. Hodges, who walks unaided and tools around in a 25-year-old Buick Roadmaster wagon with oxidized paint and a GRAMPIE vanity plate, does all of those things.
    What she has no plans to do is stop.

“I want to leave this Earth with my boots on,” Hodges said. “I want to keep working. It’s the love of my life, other than my husband, who was a great guy.”

The former Kathryn Appley grew up in Emerson and graduated from Westwood High School in 1937. She had to wait till the following year, after her 18th birthday, to begin the nursing program at Hackensack Hospital.

“Crazy, isn’t it?” she said, laughing. “I always wanted to be a nurse, and I’ve always been one!”
    Hodges in an undated family portrait, circa 1940s.

She finished nursing school in 1941, months before Pearl Harbor. The following year, she married her high school sweetheart, Donald Hodges. The couple settled in Westwood.

On her first job, Hodges performed physicals on employees of a medical laboratory. After taking a few years off when her two sons were little, she became the public health nurse for the borough of Westwood. She also started as a Westwood poll worker. Last Nov. 8, her 55th general election, she rose before sunrise and put in a 15-hour day as the judge at her district’s polling place.

Hodges has been Emerson’s public health nurse – a part-time post that involves health screenings, education and prevention – since 1967. Her cheerful office is located in the senior center. Most who come to see her, for a blood pressure check or for the advice of a seasoned and accessible nurse, are elderly.

“They talk about this little pain, that little pain. Maybe I can be of some help to them,” Hodges said. “You have to have a love of people and a real desire to keep them well, so they be active citizens and do their own thing.”
    More
    http://www.northjersey.com/story/news/health/2017/02/06/njs-oldest-nurse-97-rewrites-rules-aging/95777414/
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! So why did I, for a moment, while reading the weather, think it was Friday?

I don't know. Oh well, I could stand to get to the grocery since I never did yesterday, but it's supposed to be rainy all day today too so maybe I can wait until tomorrow.

Sink needs to be cleared, tea needs to be consumed, nap needs to be taken!
    Hi Ed
    don't feel to bad about it, I kept thinking Tuesday was Wednesday :)
    Eddie got the shopping done, beating the rain. Most of the rain is due later today but there was a good chance of light showers in the morning too...and Eddie got the sink cleared!

At Dollar Tree, they did get in some more of the country ham trimmings and ends, dated for April 15, 2017, so I have three packets (5.3 oz each) put in the back of the meat tray of the refrigerator, pending my next craving for a bit of country ham. I've no doubt I'll get them eaten before that use by date, though I doubt any will get used this week and maybe not next week either. Picked up a diet Dr. Pepper at Dollar Tree this morning for a rare treat with a dab of caffeine. The same drink, at Kroger, would have been $1.69 plus tax.

But at Kroger, got bread for possible grilled cheese sandwiches, which would go nicely with the free can of tomato and carrot bisque that was last week's Friday Freeby. And of course essentials like paper towels, and eggs, and a few snack items, mostly for J but some reduced fat pretzels for me.

After lunch, I think it will be nap time! The rain may have started by then, though the thunder isn't expected to start until about 3:00.

Val, this one is just for you! Non-vegans taste test vegan snacks!
    Just curious, are the Country Ham Trimmings in a commercial package at the same weight per package? I ask since I do go to a Dollar Tree and have never seen those in the Refrigerated or Frozen section :(

It is hard to beat free for anything.
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

Currently 55 out there with a high of 66 expected. 30% chance of rain.

Nothing major on the agenda today. Maybe watch some more Superboy...haven't been doing that very much and I'll never finish the series if I don't watch the shows!

And, of course, a nap.
    All I am getting done in the oldies is old time radio shows. Today's were some Green Hornet Radio shows from the War years, WWII that is, Dealing with Nazi Spys and Saboteurs.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hey Ed! Appreciate the taste testing just for Vegans! I'd have to agree with most of that...its pretty much junk food. The only one I've personally tasted is the Almond Dream 'Ice Cream'. Its not as good as So's Coconut Ice Cream..in my opinion. I even like the vanilla, no sugar added!!!!! Its hard to find a lot of the time...It's 'iffy' at both Kroger and Publix. :)
    Not crazy about kale chips, I've had lentil chips, just not that brand. I can take or leave those!

Did my gym thing, and a run thru at Costco. Just needed apples and a box of organic spinach. Tomorrow will be shopping day in the real. :)

See you all in the morning...

Hi Valerie
    That mention of CostCo reminds me, I did find the Fresh bread section, I Saw many brands but not the one You mentioned :(
    Good Morning..its Wednesday!
    Groceries today. Also need to call about my splint. The splint is held in place with velcro..one of the velcro pads, which is held onto the splint with some kind of glue has pulled loose. Mind you there are 3 such straps, but since I'm wearing this thing for 2 more weeks I think it should probably be fixed.
    I know we're not 'political' here, but what happened last night in the senate should be a wake up call. What is happening to this country is appalling, and should be sending up red flags. I'll say no more. :neutral:
    Time for me to get moving...I think the coffee (decafe) is empty.
    Later...
    Hmmm... I have not seen what happened so i can not comment. I find the Violence at some of the protests to be troubling however.

Good Luck with the Splint. I suppose You could use that Tape that only sticks to itself on a temporary basis if needed.

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    I am not sure how tomorrow will play out walking as the last weather forecast I saw earlier this morning shows Snow starting before 5AM Thursday and showed much of NJ in the 5 to 10 inch snow fall and also stated that it would accumulate fast :(
  • RogerToo
    More Humor to go with yesterdays :)
    7yqAuN.jpg

WHyKa4.jpg

BOVTq5.jpg

zybPg8.jpg

NCkUZn.jpg

uSldDY.jpg
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,220 Member
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Just curious, are the Country Ham Trimmings in a commercial package at the same weight per package? I ask since I do go to a Dollar Tree and have never seen those in the Refrigerated or Frozen section :(

They are in a commercial package. They have a 3 oz. Biscuit Cut package (that frankly isn't all that well cut for a Biscuit Cut) and the 5.3 oz. Trimmings. The first time, I bought one of each and I figure if I'm going to have my occasional very salty ham treat, I might as well get my money's worth. The trimmings taste just as good as the biscuit cut and I'm not putting them on biscuits anyway! At my Dollar Tree they are in the refrigerated section and look like THIS:

20170208_090004_zpstrtq0spg.jpg
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2017
    Mmmm. Canned Tourists! Sounds tasty...

Roger, I stole EVERY SINGLE picture from today's humor and put them on my feed on Facebook. LOL.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo wrote: »

They are in a commercial package. They have a 3 oz. Biscuit Cut package (that frankly isn't all that well cut for a Biscuit Cut) and the 5.3 oz. Trimmings. The first time, I bought one of each and I figure if I'm going to have my occasional very salty ham treat, I might as well get my money's worth. The trimmings taste just as good as the biscuit cut and I'm not putting them on biscuits anyway! At my Dollar Tree they are in the refrigerated section and look like THIS:

20170208_090004_zpstrtq0spg.jpg

Hi Ed
    Thank You for the feedback, I love a bargain :)
    And TBH I can not imagine why the trimming would be less tasty than the regular cuts...
    Mmmm. Canned Tourists! Sounds tasty...

Roger, I stole EVERY SINGLE picture from today's humor and put them on my feed on Facebook. LOL.

Be My Guest. I liked them or I would not have used them :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    First bloomers!

20170208_165600_zpspiblrgk5.jpg

20170208_165546_zpssdollqma.jpg

20170208_165527_zps9hwiz18s.jpg

20170208_165513_zpsssmdfzzk.jpg

20170208_165505_zpsew0l7hbk.jpg

20170208_165459_zpskh9hypde.jpg

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 39 degrees out there with an expected high of 48. Low tonight is supposed to be 28.

Today is the GRAND OPENING of my neighborhood Aldi grocery. I've been looking forward to this store opening, as they've been building on it for about a year. To be fair they did tear down and add some other stores to the shopping center so it wasn't the only change.

But today being the GRAND OPENING I'm sure you can guess where I'll NOT BE today! I don't do grand openings. Too darn many people, too much going on, and the likelihood of my actually being one of the first 100 shoppers who get a CHANCE at a golden ticket worth UP TO $100 would be extremely minimal. Besides, it's not even definite. It's a CHANCE. And it MIGHT BE worth $100, but, presumably, could be worth 50 cents...so no, I think I'll wait to visit our new Aldi store later on the weekend, or even next week, thank you very much.

So, clearing the sink is on, Aldi is off. And a nap is probably on. Now need to do something that doesn't involve typing as Lilo is being all too helpful.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Thursday, and the race begins...
    Need to move from one event to another and timely about it...wish me luck!
    Hair > gym > lunch > splint repair > home (trash collected and moved to street, etc) > gymnastics = done!
    other than lunch and home, I have little control over how much time these things will take. :)

Umm, Ed. Watched the Vegan Chocolate clips. If you haven't eaten chocolate in a very long time, some of those probably would have tasted pretty good. Same with vegan cheese and a few other things. :):):)

Winter is making a brief appearance...entering stage right, and will be hurried along to the exit! No speaking part. LOL! 70's both Sat and Sunday if the weather channel is correct.

Roger is scouting the internet for more funnies this morning maybe? Or he's posted, and I just need to refresh my browser!!! Will come back later to check.

Need to get dressed, etc.

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking for 8.5K Steps, The temperature is 32 degrees and it was already snowing when I went out the door. I wore the complete Frogg Toggs, That would be rain Jacket and Pants. I also wore my Insulated Boots for traction. I also have decided I am crazy for heading out walking in the snow :)

I am running late between running out of energy from the extra walking I did yesterday and then today's walking followed by shoveling this heavy snow :(
    I Was really feeling it from walking through the ever deepening snow. It was OK at 6:15, however by 7:30 as I was heading for home, It was more like walking through soft sand at the beach.

I plan to stay home tomorrow as the temperature is supposed to drop combined with a bitter wind chill...
    I have a suspicion that this wet heavy snow will end up with a sheet of ice under by Friday morning so I plan to play it safe.

While I was walking I heard a thump and saw where a car on the plowed snow covered road had hit the curb. I also was Slushed when the State plows went by, It was a good thing I was where I could lean against something and was wearing Rain gear from head to toe. When I heard them coming I turned away from the road so as to not get hit with slush in the face.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    First bloomers!
    Hi Ed
    You are lucky, Our first bloomers of the season are just starting to show leaves
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 39 degrees out there with an expected high of 48. Low tonight is supposed to be 28.

Today is the GRAND OPENING of my neighborhood Aldi grocery. I've been looking forward to this store opening, as they've been building on it for about a year. To be fair they did tear down and add some other stores to the shopping center so it wasn't the only change.

But today being the GRAND OPENING I'm sure you can guess where I'll NOT BE today! I don't do grand openings. Too darn many people, too much going on, and the likelihood of my actually being one of the first 100 shoppers who get a CHANCE at a golden ticket worth UP TO $100 would be extremely minimal. Besides, it's not even definite. It's a CHANCE. And it MIGHT BE worth $100, but, presumably, could be worth 50 cents...so no, I think I'll wait to visit our new Aldi store later on the weekend, or even next week, thank you very much.

So, clearing the sink is on, Aldi is off. And a nap is probably on. Now need to do something that doesn't involve typing as Lilo is being all too helpful.
    I think I would avoid it too. It will probably be a mad house.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Thursday, and the race begins...
    Need to move from one event to another and timely about it...wish me luck!
    Hair > gym > lunch > splint repair > home (trash collected and moved to street, etc) > gymnastics = done!
    other than lunch and home, I have little control over how much time these things will take. :)

Umm, Ed. Watched the Vegan Chocolate clips. If you haven't eaten chocolate in a very long time, some of those probably would have tasted pretty good. Same with vegan cheese and a few other things. :):):)

Winter is making a brief appearance...entering stage right, and will be hurried along to the exit! No speaking part. LOL! 70's both Sat and Sunday if the weather channel is correct.

Roger is scouting the internet for more funnies this morning maybe? Or he's posted, and I just need to refresh my browser!!! Will come back later to check.

Need to get dressed, etc.

Later...

HI Valerie
    Nope Roger is just running very late from laying down for a few minutes.

I hope all that running is going / has gone well.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger