Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I was out walking for 9K Steps The temperature is a little bit warmer than yesterday, and not very all that comfortable for walking.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger

Study: Working More Than 39 Hours A Week Harmful To Mental Health

CANBERRA, Australia — Employers take note: having your staff work overtime could be doing more harm than good. A new study finds that working more than 39 hours a week is actually detrimental to one’s health.
    Working more than 39 hours per week can pose significant health risks, especially for women, researchers found.

Published in the Social Science & Medicine journal, researchers from Australian National University compiled previously-released government data from about 8,000 employed Australian men and women aged 24 to 64.

The researchers found on average that 40 or more hours of work a week — typically considered full-time employment— can lead to mental health issues. This was especially true when combined with other commitments.

In large part due to additional time constraints, such as caregiving, it was found that the average healthy work limit for women was only 34 hours a week. For men, the limit was found to be as high as 47 hours a week.

“Given the extra demands placed on women, it’s impossible for women to work long hours often expected by employers unless they compromise their health,” lead researcher Huong Dinh told PS News.

This study helps shatter a widely-held belief that it is healthy to work up to 48 hours a week. That theory based upon an 80-year-old standard set by the International Labour Organization.

One conclusion that can be taken from the study is that women are disadvantaged in many senses in the workforce. Since they cannot work for as many hours without compromising their health, men often get better and higher paying positions.

In Australia, over 40% of employed individuals work 40-plus hours a week.
    https://www.studyfinds.org/study-finds-that-40-hour-workweeks-bad-for-mental-health/
  • RogerToo
    I heard about that shortage in Europe! Didn't realize it was that widespread though.

Valerie, I found the recipe for the stew at Medieval Times!

http://www.yummly.co/recipe/Medieval-Times-3-Bean-Stew-with-Fire-Roasted-Tomatoes-and-Brown-Rice-759927
    Hi Ed
    Thank You for the recipe
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 35 out there now and only supposed to make it to 56 today. 40% chance of morning showers.

Need to finish up the laundry and clear the sink. Sounds like Eddie will have stuff to do today!

And Eduardo needs to get the coq au vin started in a crockpot by no later than about 10:000 this morning. Probably doable.

I guess I should go and check the wine inventory to see what I'm willing to sacrifice half a bottle of.
    It is still warmer than here if a damper forecast :)

Stay Dry
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning!
    What a start to my day..I had this plan.....
    Then I read Ed's post about the 3 bean stew, and decided I'd complete the task of removing the coffee pot and the coffee grinder from its cabinet top space, to the storage room, and bring out the rice cooker...but then I thought I was hungry, so I started a sweet potato in the microwave..remembered I wanted to open the dishwasher incase there were some things that needed further drying time...heard this weird noise..it was Tom E. ..cat throw up..so I dropped everything, and did clean up duty. Tom E had eaten some grass...hmmm. No, cats aren't vindictive are they???? So he immediately wanted out...hope he's not out there munching more greens...
    I have side tracked myself so many times this morning, I accomplished nothing...
    This I will finish, have breakfast, move the appliances around, and get on with my mental list.

Roger I read about that shortage night before last on the BBC. They of course were most concerned with England...so not so much was said about the rest of Europe. They also attributed it to the rains in Spain...(I think there's a pun there somewhere)...
    Bet they better get creative with root veggies, and some of the more 'hearty' veggies, like cabbage and kale... I can't imagine having to ration veggies!!!! Sad it has to be done...glad they're eating them in quanity across the pond!!!

Ed...what a find for the 3 bean stew!! Reads good, except for the oil, and I know how to 'fix' that...sooooo. It may be dinner
    ...and then again, at the rate this day is going, I may just re-name myself 'Jeffy'. (Little guy from The Family Circus)...some days I really can relate to poor little Jeffy! After the name change I will immediately go back to bed, and see if I can get the Sunday Reset button to work.

I think we've had our morning showers. I see the driveway is damp... Tomorrow is to be a full day's rain... We'll see if the weather persons have gotten that right...confidence in their predictions is not running high!
    I do remember seeing that our "southern' version of Punxsutawney Phil had this to say..
    Gen. Beauregard Lee wiggled awake at Gwinnett County’s Yellow River Game Ranch early Thursday to find no shadow, meaning an early spring. also know that for all the 'groundhog shaming' done by the weather forecasters and their expensive radars...etc..don't have as good a record as the common little ground hogs!!! LOL!!

Time to get a move on...these chores do not seem to be doing themselves. Time for a little poke from me...

Later...
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited February 2017
    I see in Georgia I dig 16 tons. And what do I get? Another day older and deeper in debt!

Laundry still on the waiting list, but the sink was cleared, then Eduardo got the coq au vin started so the sink had to be cleared again.

Todays coq au vin:

Carrots. Onion. Mushrooms. Smashed garlic cloves. Thick cut, diced, browned, peppered, crisp bacon. Two chicken thighs and four chicken legs, browned in the bacon grease. Bay leaf. Broth. Red wine. Small dab of tomato paste. Salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and paprika.

Slow cook for about 8 hours.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Tonight's coq au vin over egg noodles. Buttered green beans on the side. Wine of choice, both in the food and with the food, was Caponero Vino Rosso.

And I've got three more meals of it all plated up in the fridge, and ready to reheat.

20170205_172939_zpsh19tm3vg.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

Lilo and I have been fed. Sink cleared. Need to water indoor plants, and maybe hit the grocery. And a nap!

43 out there now. High of 64 expected with 50% chance of showers.

But first...drink my tea. Think I'll have 4 cups this morning.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• RogerToo
    rMIoxI.jpg

3kIMd2.jpg

1nbAs0.png

FTZlA3.jpg

3YsUpA.jpg

75En4W.png
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking for 9.4K Steps The temperature is warmer than yesterday at 40 degrees with Sunshine, and comfortable for walking.

I stopped at the Grocery Store for Bananas, 2 Black Plums and some Mixed Nuts in the shell for me and Lettuce and 1.5 Dozen large Eggs for my Brother.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning!
    What a start to my day..I had this plan.....
    Then I read Ed's post about the 3 bean stew, and decided I'd complete the task of removing the coffee pot and the coffee grinder from its cabinet top space, to the storage room, and bring out the rice cooker...but then I thought I was hungry, so I started a sweet potato in the microwave..remembered I wanted to open the dishwasher incase there were some things that needed further drying time...heard this weird noise..it was Tom E. ..cat throw up..so I dropped everything, and did clean up duty. Tom E had eaten some grass...hmmm. No, cats aren't vindictive are they???? So he immediately wanted out...hope he's not out there munching more greens...
    I have side tracked myself so many times this morning, I accomplished nothing...
    This I will finish, have breakfast, move the appliances around, and get on with my mental list.

Roger I read about that shortage night before last on the BBC. They of course were most concerned with England...so not so much was said about the rest of Europe. They also attributed it to the rains in Spain...(I think there's a pun there somewhere)...
    Bet they better get creative with root veggies, and some of the more 'hearty' veggies, like cabbage and kale... I can't imagine having to ration veggies!!!! Sad it has to be done...glad they're eating them in quanity across the pond!!!

Ed...what a find for the 3 bean stew!! Reads good, except for the oil, and I know how to 'fix' that...sooooo. It may be dinner
    ...and then again, at the rate this day is going, I may just re-name myself 'Jeffy'. (Little guy from The Family Circus)...some days I really can relate to poor little Jeffy! After the name change I will immediately go back to bed, and see if I can get the Sunday Reset button to work.

I think we've had our morning showers. I see the driveway is damp... Tomorrow is to be a full day's rain... We'll see if the weather persons have gotten that right...confidence in their predictions is not running high!
    I do remember seeing that our "southern' version of Punxsutawney Phil had this to say..
    Gen. Beauregard Lee wiggled awake at Gwinnett County’s Yellow River Game Ranch early Thursday to find no shadow, meaning an early spring. also know that for all the 'groundhog shaming' done by the weather forecasters and their expensive radars...etc..don't have as good a record as the common little ground hogs!!! LOL!!

Time to get a move on...these chores do not seem to be doing themselves. Time for a little poke from me...

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I suspect we all have days where we never do get started on what was planned :)

From something I also read Spain has no shortage for the people there. They are just not exporting what they do grow.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Tonight's coq au vin over egg noodles. Buttered green beans on the side. Wine of choice, both in the food and with the food, was Caponero Vino Rosso.

And I've got three more meals of it all plated up in the fridge, and ready to reheat.
    Hi Ed
    That does look Very tasty, Enjoy
    FWIW I might use Chicken Breasts.
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

Lilo and I have been fed. Sink cleared. Need to water indoor plants, and maybe hit the grocery. And a nap!

43 out there now. High of 64 expected with 50% chance of showers.

But first...drink my tea. Think I'll have 4 cups this morning.
    You are having nice weather

Stay Dry
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2017
  • RogerToo
    edited February 2017
    Hi
    I was out walking for 7K Steps, The temperature is 4 degrees cooler than yesterday with light off & on rain.
    I was up and out the door early myself. When I looked out the window things were already wet :(
    it is supposed to rain off and on all day into tomorrow.

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger

Hi Ed
    Thanks for the Video
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    twgHuP.png

XRghC4.png

NAfwkx.jpg

PlQU24.gif

XRbL1o.jpg

rZHKBZ.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! So why did I, for a moment, while reading the weather, think it was Friday?

I don't know. Oh well, I could stand to get to the grocery since I never did yesterday, but it's supposed to be rainy all day today too so maybe I can wait until tomorrow.

Sink needs to be cleared, tea needs to be consumed, nap needs to be taken!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GblgBFT1-s
  • parityanimal
    Eddie got the shopping done, beating the rain. Most of the rain is due later today but there was a good chance of light showers in the morning too...and Eddie got the sink cleared!

At Dollar Tree, they did get in some more of the country ham trimmings and ends, dated for April 15, 2017, so I have three packets (5.3 oz each) put in the back of the meat tray of the refrigerator, pending my next craving for a bit of country ham. I've no doubt I'll get them eaten before that use by date, though I doubt any will get used this week and maybe not next week either. Picked up a diet Dr. Pepper at Dollar Tree this morning for a rare treat with a dab of caffeine. The same drink, at Kroger, would have been $1.69 plus tax.

But at Kroger, got bread for possible grilled cheese sandwiches, which would go nicely with the free can of tomato and carrot bisque that was last week's Friday Freeby. And of course essentials like paper towels, and eggs, and a few snack items, mostly for J but some reduced fat pretzels for me.

After lunch, I think it will be nap time! The rain may have started by then, though the thunder isn't expected to start until about 3:00.

Val, this one is just for you! Non-vegans taste test vegan snacks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1BRzH1SKDE

• parityanimal
    Lunch today was the free can of soup, with grilled cheese sandwiches and a handful of Pringles original flavor chips (that I happened to see at Dollar Tree) and I told J to feel free to finish off the can, as I had my serving. I also did my required "QUACK" with the first two chips out of the can, made into a duck bill.

The Campbell's "Well YES" tomato and carrot bisque, by the way, is quite tasty but a little on the pricey side when it's not free.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hey Ed! Appreciate the taste testing just for Vegans! I'd have to agree with most of that...its pretty much junk food. The only one I've personally tasted is the Almond Dream 'Ice Cream'. Its not as good as So's Coconut Ice Cream..in my opinion. I even like the vanilla, no sugar added!!!!! Its hard to find a lot of the time...It's 'iffy' at both Kroger and Publix. :)
    Not crazy about kale chips, I've had lentil chips, just not that brand. I can take or leave those!

Did my gym thing, and a run thru at Costco. Just needed apples and a box of organic spinach. Tomorrow will be shopping day in the real. :)

See you all in the morning...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

Currently 55 out there with a high of 66 expected. 30% chance of rain.

Nothing major on the agenda today. Maybe watch some more Superboy...haven't been doing that very much and I'll never finish the series if I don't watch the shows!

And, of course, a nap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QHKQs6SFOw