Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,220 Member
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed
    I have noticed that too, Why a Three pack? I can only guess it keeps the cost down since one package and handling for three and they must feel that the demand for single packs would be too low, At a guess :)

I looked at several different brands of Add water bowls of noodle items and they all seemed to be high sodium, was this one OK that way?

Cheers
    Roger

P.S. Loved the cat humor link.

That particular noodle bowl had 485 mg of sodium (20% of the recommended amount) so yes, a bit high. But then I sure am not planning to eat them very often. Since they had a "best by" date of sometime in November (how do they DO that with a pre-cooked, moist, heat and eat noodle anyway? You don't have to COOK them, just WARM them), I did buy half a dozen more and added on a couple of the spicy (but presumably not as spicy) Kung Pao noodle bowls too.

Needless to say, it will be a while before we eat any more of them, and no doubt J will eat more of them than I anyway. But if I'm going to splurge once in a while, I want it to be really tasty! These fit that bill. I think I'll be adding scrambled egg to raise the protein/carb ratio when I eat them. J might like them that way too.

Being Aldi distributed items, they may sell out and not be seen on the shelf there for a long time. As I recall from shopping there before, they would do that to us frequently. I'd see something new, exciting, and really tasty sounding. I'd buy a couple, to try them out, and then when we DID love them, I'd go back and they were sold out and I never saw that item again. Or not until a year or more later. I do understand, of course, for seasonal items, that they would only have them for a limited time.

I know they have limited space and can't necessarily keep EVERY new item available forever, but it can be disappointing when you can't count on an item that would likely become a favorite. I recall some delicious stuffed fish filets they had in the freezer section once. Several different kinds of fish, and several different stuffings. Each one was a single serving, small, stuffed filet that went from freezer to table in less than half an hour. I bought half a dozen or so and that half a dozen or so was all of it I got. They were nice while they lasted.

Well, I'm on my second mug of tea and pondering whether to have a couple more...

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    DD4TqA.gif

hYP3sa.png

9CbwZ8.jpg

8PdMZN.png

AI5g5U.gif

z79jIa.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi Ed
    I have noticed that too, Why a Three pack? I can only guess it keeps the cost down since one package and handling for three and they must feel that the demand for single packs would be too low, At a guess :)

I looked at several different brands of Add water bowls of noodle items and they all seemed to be high sodium, was this one OK that way?

Cheers
    Roger

P.S. Loved the cat humor link.

That particular noodle bowl had 485 mg of sodium (20% of the recommended amount) so yes, a bit high. But then I sure am not planning to eat them very often. Since they had a "best by" date of sometime in November (how do they DO that with a pre-cooked, moist, heat and eat noodle anyway? You don't have to COOK them, just WARM them), I did buy half a dozen more and added on a couple of the spicy (but presumably not as spicy) Kung Pao noodle bowls too.

Needless to say, it will be a while before we eat any more of them, and no doubt J will eat more of them than I anyway. But if I'm going to splurge once in a while, I want it to be really tasty! These fit that bill. I think I'll be adding scrambled egg to raise the protein/carb ratio when I eat them. J might like them that way too.

Being Aldi distributed items, they may sell out and not be seen on the shelf there for a long time. As I recall from shopping there before, they would do that to us frequently. I'd see something new, exciting, and really tasty sounding. I'd buy a couple, to try them out, and then when we DID love them, I'd go back and they were sold out and I never saw that item again. Or not until a year or more later. I do understand, of course, for seasonal items, that they would only have them for a limited time.

I know they have limited space and can't necessarily keep EVERY new item available forever, but it can be disappointing when you can't count on an item that would likely become a favorite. I recall some delicious stuffed fish filets they had in the freezer section once. Several different kinds of fish, and several different stuffings. Each one was a single serving, small, stuffed filet that went from freezer to table in less than half an hour. I bought half a dozen or so and that half a dozen or so was all of it I got. They were nice while they lasted.

Well, I'm on my second mug of tea and pondering whether to have a couple more...
    Hi Ed
    If that was all I was eating with Sodium at that meal I would not be afraid of it, OTOH if eaten with other dishes that took the total up, well...

I have seen the same thing at CostCo so it isn't just Aldi.
    As a easy example the last box of sweetener I bought is different than the previous purchase which was nowhere to be found.

How do they date it that long, I would imaging that is is a similar process to what NS uses and they get a long shelf life on their wet foods with Pasta. It could be a UHT process as is used in the quarts of milk I buy at the dollar store. The latest two I bought for the Pantry shelf are good until December 13, 2017 as long as they are unopened. as I result of that long life I usually keep one or two in the pantry.

I seem to recall buying a spicy Kung Pao noodle bowl at the Dollar Tree store, I wonder if it was the same brand? I do not recollect as it was last year. I have a suspicion that they may have been 2 for a $1.

Cheers
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Tuesday Morning!
    Reheated my coffee, ready to type!
    So far today I've cut up a pineapple, and eaten my banana. Lazy start to the day. Sink is already cleared...cat is outside...so I can have my lazy morning.

I think I'm going to do my little bit of grocery shopping today while we have warm dry weather...tomorrow looks like all day rain. I'll forego my 5% usually about $2.65 for comfort this week...

Roger, the sticky tape lint rollers just don't get it on my wool coat...especially the white dog hair. I learned that the Dyson with the little motor head does a great job though, and is much quicker too! Yeah, it really is nice to have a meal that meets my diet, and is ready to eat! Unfortunately the WF nearest me is for carnivores! It does have a decent organic salad bar, and sometimes I find chocolate mousse that's dairy free and date sweetened or rice syrup..(forget which. don't see it that often)

Ed, the kids eating food from other counties was interesting! I'd think about ordering for my grands, but they are such picky eaters it would be a waste. :( Although it was mostly 'junk food' so you never know. Nate would object to the hot spicy foods, nuts, and the real kicker was Thanksgiving..I'd made a citrus salad dressing for the arugula and baby greens salad...he was sitting next to me...Grammie, this is sweet...I don't like sweet! To which I replied...good I get all your Halloween candy and Mom's really good Christmas cookies then. Amazing how suddenly the salad was eaten!!! Darn little monkey! (he just wanted dinner to be over so he could leave the table) :) Oh, and the Spicy Indian Food video was funny too!! That would be me eating one of your 'melt your face' dishes!!! LOL! I just can't eat food nearly as hot as I used to eat!

Lunch today is going to be a 'taste test'. I picked up 2 kinds of fresh made ravioli. Veggie stuffed. Hope they're good? maybe my wallet hopes their just edible and not something I want again. LOL! Pricey little dudes..having them with a bottled jar of Alfredo Red Pepper, that is vegan. Will let you know how this turns out.

Ok...I need to get this day moving..

Later...

• parityanimal
    I think I have seen Yakisoba noodles at Dollar Tree, but they are also available at other stores. The have been eaten here as desperation food at one time or another...and they TASTE like desperation food. LOL!

But even those things can be "fixed up" with additions, assuming one can afford the additions, to make a relatively tasty meal. Eduardo is a master at that too...

• parityanimal
    edited February 2017
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

I've been up since 7:00, but distracted by the usuals. Then Eduardo wanted to get ambitious at breakfast and make a feast the likes of which I only should eat ONCE A YEAR.

I had purchased a package of three pork cubed steaks, from, of course, the manager's special rack, marked down. Now I had in mind lightly sautéed, seasoned cube steaks, with peas and carrots on the side, maybe half a cup of mashed potatoes each for three meals, but Nooooooo.

Eduardo wanted to make CHICKEN FRIED STEAK so that's what I had for breakfast, with buttermilk biscuits and milk gravy.

BUT, I nixed the eggs, figuring that it was quite enough breakfast without adding that. And, of course, no potatoes. So I made it as reasonable a chicken fried steak breakfast as I could...and there are now two remaining chicken fried steaks in the refrigerator. If I want gravy with them, it will have to be freshly made, as all the gravy was consumed at breakfast. One might be dinner, with the planned peas and carrots, and maybe even the potatoes, but probably no gravy. We'll see.

The other ... breakfast tomorrow. I'm thinking of making a chili bean taco salad for lunch if J's at home. If not, that salad may be dinner and the chicken fried steak may be lunch. I'm adaptable.

Sink is cleared and laundry started.

47 out there now, and supposed to hit 57 today. I think I heard it raining during the night.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• RogerToo
    DD4TqA.gif

vf4HKX.jpg

61eZGW.gif

E4h8Gz.jpg
    Yum Yum

QvDQxK.jpg

6cs7O6.jpg

TdxUtE.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking today and hit 7710 steps. The temperature is 34 degrees and that is a warmer than yesterday. I stopped at the Grocery Store for Bananas while walking

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger

P.S. From Here Yesterday
    https://thewest.com.au/news/offbeat/kfc-new-zealand-gave-away-two-fried-chicken-bouquets-for-valentines-day-ng-b88386141z

KFC New Zealand gave away two fried chicken bouquets for Valentine’s Day
    Forget flowers, take her to New Zealand and gift her a bouquet of fried chicken.

In a move which has delighted chicken lovers across the globe, KFC New Zealand made a limited number of fried chicken bouquets “for a couple of special chicken lovers out there”.

The KFC NZ page uploaded a photo two days ago, requesting lovers to “tag the wind beneath your chicken wings” for a chance to win.

The two winners were notified in the comments of the post, with one posting to the page saying it was “being devoured...although such a shame to destroy something so beautiful.”
  • RogerToo
    Good Tuesday Morning!
    Reheated my coffee, ready to type!
    So far today I've cut up a pineapple, and eaten my banana. Lazy start to the day. Sink is already cleared...cat is outside...so I can have my lazy morning.

I think I'm going to do my little bit of grocery shopping today while we have warm dry weather...tomorrow looks like all day rain. I'll forego my 5% usually about $2.65 for comfort this week...

Roger, the sticky tape lint rollers just don't get it on my wool coat...especially the white dog hair. I learned that the Dyson with the little motor head does a great job though, and is much quicker too! Yeah, it really is nice to have a meal that meets my diet, and is ready to eat! Unfortunately the WF nearest me is for carnivores! It does have a decent organic salad bar, and sometimes I find chocolate mousse that's dairy free and date sweetened or rice syrup..(forget which. don't see it that often)

Ed, the kids eating food from other counties was interesting! I'd think about ordering for my grands, but they are such picky eaters it would be a waste. :( Although it was mostly 'junk food' so you never know. Nate would object to the hot spicy foods, nuts, and the real kicker was Thanksgiving..I'd made a citrus salad dressing for the arugula and baby greens salad...he was sitting next to me...Grammie, this is sweet...I don't like sweet! To which I replied...good I get all your Halloween candy and Mom's really good Christmas cookies then. Amazing how suddenly the salad was eaten!!! Darn little monkey! (he just wanted dinner to be over so he could leave the table) :) Oh, and the Spicy Indian Food video was funny too!! That would be me eating one of your 'melt your face' dishes!!! LOL! I just can't eat food nearly as hot as I used to eat!

Lunch today is going to be a 'taste test'. I picked up 2 kinds of fresh made ravioli. Veggie stuffed. Hope they're good? maybe my wallet hopes their just edible and not something I want again. LOL! Pricey little dudes..having them with a bottled jar of Alfredo Red Pepper, that is vegan. Will let you know how this turns out.

Ok...I need to get this day moving..

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I had used my last Banana yesterday so today I reversed my eating order and had My protein shake before I walked and the Banana when I got home with the new ones.

I have a small Roller head that spins from the airflow for the vacuum cleaner that works pretty good.

Good Luck with the new foods
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    I think I have seen Yakisoba noodles at Dollar Tree, but they are also available at other stores. The have been eaten here as desperation food at one time or another...and they TASTE like desperation food. LOL!

But even those things can be "fixed up" with additions, assuming one can afford the additions, to make a relatively tasty meal. Eduardo is a master at that too...
    Hi Ed
    I am sure You are good at that :)
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

I've been up since 7:00, but distracted by the usuals. Then Eduardo wanted to get ambitious at breakfast and make a feast the likes of which I only should eat ONCE A YEAR.

I had purchased a package of three pork cubed steaks, from, of course, the manager's special rack, marked down. Now I had in mind lightly sautéed, seasoned cube steaks, with peas and carrots on the side, maybe half a cup of mashed potatoes each for three meals, but Nooooooo.

Eduardo wanted to make CHICKEN FRIED STEAK so that's what I had for breakfast, with buttermilk biscuits and milk gravy.

BUT, I nixed the eggs, figuring that it was quite enough breakfast without adding that. And, of course, no potatoes. So I made it as reasonable a chicken fried steak breakfast as I could...and there are now two remaining chicken fried steaks in the refrigerator. If I want gravy with them, it will have to be freshly made, as all the gravy was consumed at breakfast. One might be dinner, with the planned peas and carrots, and maybe even the potatoes, but probably no gravy. We'll see.

The other ... breakfast tomorrow. I'm thinking of making a chili bean taco salad for lunch if J's at home. If not, that salad may be dinner and the chicken fried steak may be lunch. I'm adaptable.

Sink is cleared and laundry started.

47 out there now, and supposed to hit 57 today. I think I heard it raining during the night.
    The Pork sounds delicious TBH.

Just Curious what do Vegans use to replace a egg wash for breading?

I wish it would hit 57 today, The forecast has rain, sleet and snow for parts of NJ North of where I am :(

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal

I wish it would hit 57 today, The forecast has rain, sleet and snow for parts of NJ North of where I am :(

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

There are a number of vegan egg substitutes available out there. Some even somewhat resemble eggs.

Also, just plain water can be used for the wash, in a pinch.

This morning's wash didn't use eggs as it was just milk. The procedure was:

Dredge in seasoned flour. (Salt, pepper, crushed rosemary, paprika.)
    Quickly dredge in milk.
    Dredge again in seasoned flour.
    Reserve remaining seasoned flour and remaining milk for making of gravy.
    Fry in hot oil. When first side is golden brown, turn and fry until the second side is golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Pour most of the oil out of the pan, reserving a few tablespoons for gravy. Stir in as much of the seasoned flour as necessary to make a nice roux, lightly scraping the bottom of the pan for any nice browned breading bits. Brown the roux slightly, over medium heat, and add the milk. Cook, stirring and scraping constantly, until thickened.

The gravy didn't need quite all of the remaining flour but did use most of it, so not a lot of waste. All the remaining milk went in the gravy.

The pork cube steak from Kroger is generally quite lean, so I didn't feel TOO guilty about chicken frying it, and it made delicious chicken fried steak.

And now I think the first load of laundry is about ready to move to the dryer, and my second cup of tea (with a slice of fresh Meyer lemon) is almost consumed.

• parityanimal
    Lunch was one of the cube steaks. Warmed up nicely in the toaster oven.

I see Aldi has a sale on Hatfield Fresh Dry Rub Pork Sirloin roast. I wonder what they have from the McCoys.

Here's some people trying some moonshine, that I'm sure both the Hatfields and the McCoys would have been happy to drink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-2-23DG1g
  • RogerToo
    e0bDRi.jpg

ZPpPJ5.jpg

o93HMb.jpg

KVXiJx.jpg

ews828.jpg

Q4UlBD.jpg
    Last but not least
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking today and hit 7777 steps :) The temperature is 32 degrees and that is 2 degrees cooler than yesterday, add in that there is a breeze and :(

I did go over 10K steps yesterday by the time I was ready to retire for the night.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

37 out there now and supposed to get to 58 today with full sun.

Need to do some watering, and maybe a little shopping, and, of course, the sink needs to be cleared.

Breakfast was that last chicken fried pork cube steak, with some eggs and some blackberry yogurt.

• RogerToo

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

There are a number of vegan egg substitutes available out there. Some even somewhat resemble eggs.

Also, just plain water can be used for the wash, in a pinch.

This morning's wash didn't use eggs as it was just milk. The procedure was:

Dredge in seasoned flour. (Salt, pepper, crushed rosemary, paprika.)
    Quickly dredge in milk.
    Dredge again in seasoned flour.
    Reserve remaining seasoned flour and remaining milk for making of gravy.
    Fry in hot oil. When first side is golden brown, turn and fry until the second side is golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Pour most of the oil out of the pan, reserving a few tablespoons for gravy. Stir in as much of the seasoned flour as necessary to make a nice roux, lightly scraping the bottom of the pan for any nice browned breading bits. Brown the roux slightly, over medium heat, and add the milk. Cook, stirring and scraping constantly, until thickened.

The gravy didn't need quite all of the remaining flour but did use most of it, so not a lot of waste. All the remaining milk went in the gravy.

The pork cube steak from Kroger is generally quite lean, so I didn't feel TOO guilty about chicken frying it, and it made delicious chicken fried steak.

And now I think the first load of laundry is about ready to move to the dryer, and my second cup of tea (with a slice of fresh Meyer lemon) is almost consumed.
    Hi Ed
    Thank You for that explanation. Using the left over from breading makes a lot of sense. I am slightly surprised YOu did not deglaze the pan with a little wine, Due to Breakfast maybe?

I end up doing Laundry once a week, more or less :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Valerie
    The last image in the humor is from The Family Feud TV Show.
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    GOod Morning!
    Today is lunch with my niece and an afternoon Dr John McDougall hour chat. Gymnastics has been cancelled for tonite. (for me anyhow) DS1 and DDL are not going to be there, and DS1 was not sure if the other grandparents were going to take the kids to gym or not. I'm not driving 45 minutes in rush hour traffic to find out O's not there! I'll go watch next week. :)

WOW for yesterday! I drove my friend to Emory Health Clinic..for her eye (blindness) issue. Thankfully she knew where I needed to be...what a mess over there. They are adding 2 new buildings, and the construction has made a total messy maze of things. The good news? was, her new lens has settled in nicely, but the reason she could not see had to do with her glaucoma. The prednisone she has to take for the newly implanted lens made her eye pressure shoot up very high (double what it should be)..and hence the blindness in that eye. After that, we had lunch at Med. Grill, then back to Tucker to get her new eyedrops and meds..a couple of groceries and I took her home. I left shortly and came home with thoughts of a late afternoon nap...didn't happen. I did the 'right' thing, and pushed myself to the gym. Did my bike thing, and then had a nice chat with the club trainer. Once I get this splint removed, and approval..trainer and I are going to start 'rebuilding' Valerie! Strength and Stretching! YES! I'm looking forward to working with her.

That is about all I know. Enjoyed the cartoons, was a bit disappointed with the KFC fried chicken bouquet. I don't quite know what I expected, but that wasn't it!!! :) Good thing I didn't live in New Zealand, huh??

Ed, your chicken fried pork steaks brought back some really old, and dusty memories. I loved them back in the 60's when I could still eat anything and survive! Local Kansas City fast food place sold them as a sandwich. They were soooo good....until the day I got one that must have been spoiled...I was soooooooo sick. Never have eaten another one.

Roger I don't think I walk/bike nearly as far as you do, but I too had a 10,000 step day about a week ago. Didn't mean to, as my knees are supposed to be limited to something more like 6-7,000 daily steps! BUT, the good news was it didn't make my knees hurt, so that was a good thing, and I'm guessing shows that my knee muscles are getting stronger?? I hope.

Ok, off to the shower. I think breakfast will be a quick reheat of some tofu I've got in the refrigerator and the trusty ole banana.

Later...