Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,213 Member
    Tonight's Cassoulet. And three plates of leftovers!

20170329_175611_zpsvwkxsfhy.jpg

20170329_181456_zpstlxlqkzn.jpg
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    Butter rich egg dishes that we don't need to eat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eEhqoFcP0w
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Yep, that Lime in the coconut give you a belly ache!! :)
    Pork and Beans was the basis of Baked Beans at our house too Ed...along with more catsup and some mustard, etc... I wasn't ever overly excited about Pork and Beans, but I do remember the kids growing up and they thought a can of Weeny Beanies was a big deal!!! Obviously I did not raise any gourmands!
    Have all my ingredients for tomorrow's 'big cook'. I can hardly wait! Will be a lot of work, but when its done I'll have dinner and lunch for 6-7 days. I'm guessing 7-8, or possibly 9 days, cuz the recipes are geared for '1-2' people. Plan to go to bed early tonite so I get a good nights sleep before I begin.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited March 2017
    My mother didn't really raise any of us to be gourmands either, but somehow Eduardo came into existence anyway! Probably from too much watching of PBS growing up, and then the cooking channel as an adult, but I don't mind as it creates some fun and tasty dishes for me to eat!
  • parityanimal
    Top ten most popular Mongolian foods!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E81DkjdGqYY
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

61 out there now with an expected high of 81. 20% chance of rain.

Leftover cassoulet makes a splendid breakfast!

Nothing much on the agenda today other than clearing the sink. Might slip out to Kroger but probably not until Saturday on that. I think I have enough stuff to hold me until then.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    How it's made: Airline Meals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7E4b-OsPEI
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I was out walking today and did 8,660 steps. The temperature this morning was 40 degrees according to the cable channels news report and showed 33 degrees on my front porch.

Not to much to report today, It looks like it will be a lazy do nothing day so far.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    One pack of chicken legs left in the freezer now. One pack was fairly thoroughly browned and is in a slow cooker with bacon, sausage, beans, minced onions, minced carrots, seasoning, and herbs, and then some bread crumbs sprinkled on top, to make Eduardo's southern US slow cooker take on a traditional French dish.

Cassoulet has, apparently, three cities that claim to be the origin of the dish, with three different recipes.

Historically, it appears that Cassoulet was one of those "put a bunch of whatever meat and fowl is available" in with some beans, herbs and spices, possibly sprinkle some breadcrumbs on (though none of the big three call for the crumbs - Julia Child used them in HER recipe), and cook it all down until the beans are very soft and creamy. Break whatever crust forms on top, several times, during the cooking process, assuming the crust gets hard, to allow MORE crust to form.

Back in medieval Europe, what was available, more often than not, was some kind of pork, some sausage, some kind of bird or smoked bird, usually a duck or partridge. But I gather one normally didn't go out on a major shopping trip to get ingredients, one just used what was on hand. The bird I have on hand is chicken. :)

In the slow cooker it doesn't really appear to be making a hard crust so it will just be what it is. If it gets hard toward the end, that's fine. If not, then I can plate some and perhaps run it under a broiler for a few minutes to see if I can get it to crisp up. Or just eat it as it turns out.
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

61 out there now with an expected high of 81. 20% chance of rain.

Leftover cassoulet makes a splendid breakfast!

Nothing much on the agenda today other than clearing the sink. Might slip out to Kroger but probably not until Saturday on that. I think I have enough stuff to hold me until then.
    Hi Ed
    I suspect a lot of what was eaten was what could be had for free via hunting and what was raised for food were mainly animals that lend themselves to being eaten before they spoiled or turned into sausage easily or both :)

Nothing wrong with leftovers... of course with NS foods there are no leftovers.

Tuesday was roast the Turkey Breast and yesterday was Vacuum seal into portions and throw into the freezer except for three servings, one of which was eaten yesterday and another will be eaten today and the third Friday. That is my method of having a healthy lean Protein. And according to the Label 4 ounces is 140 calories and only 200+ sodium which is not bad for something from the frozen section.
    There was a bit of a whoops acquiring the Turkey. Neither my Brother or I thought about it ahead of time so we sort of wasted the Free Easter Meat on it instead of the Ham that was planned to be picked up :(
    Now we have to buy the Ham after picking up a $13+ Turkey Breast that Only I eat so I will have to pay for the Ham. I did save the parts off of the Turkey Breast that I don't use such as the skin and Back meat and Broth. My brother plans on using the broth as the basis of a soup.

Nothing wrong with saving the wear and tear of a extra trip to the store if it is not needed. I tend to stock up as much as possible when I shop.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Yep, that Lime in the coconut give you a belly ache!! :)
    Pork and Beans was the basis of Baked Beans at our house too Ed...along with more catsup and some mustard, etc... I wasn't ever overly excited about Pork and Beans, but I do remember the kids growing up and they thought a can of Weeny Beanies was a big deal!!! Obviously I did not raise any gourmands!
    Have all my ingredients for tomorrow's 'big cook'. I can hardly wait! Will be a lot of work, but when its done I'll have dinner and lunch for 6-7 days. I'm guessing 7-8, or possibly 9 days, cuz the recipes are geared for '1-2' people. Plan to go to bed early tonite so I get a good nights sleep before I begin.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    When I was growing up Pork and Beans was the base for a meal. Mom used to either Bake them or Pan Fry them with Onions and both ways had Hot Dogs sliced into them. Not to mention her version of Tuna Casserole which was canned Tuna, Mushroom Soup with Saltines crumbled into it and Baked. I actually like it too. OTOH being the Gourmet eater I am :) I also liked the Cafeteria food such as their version of Spanish Rice.

Good Luck with Your cooking
    Roger
  • RogerToo

Hi Ed
    I did like the idea of the pedal operated faucet when they wash their hands. I wish they had that in public restrooms

Cheers
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning!
    About to head to the kitchen...need to unload the dishwasher, the dish drainer is empty, clear a couple things that won't be needed from the kitchen cabinets, take a big deep breath, and it will be ready set go!!!! I slept later than I'd intended so already I'm behind...except there is no real schedule today. In my chat with DS1, Livy is sick. fever, cough, headache, etc. soooo that lets Grammie off the hook for her evening traffic drive! AND if Liv's better, they are going to HHI for a 3 day weekend! I'd beg to go, but 10 hours of sitting for 3 days at the beach that I just left...naw...not yet. (besides who'd eat all this good food I'm about to go cook? LOL!)

Will watch the video's etc later when I need a break.

Ed, no judgment call here, but why in the world would you go shopping at Kroger on a Saturday??? I'd have to to need a life or death item before I'd even think about it. Or else your Kroger is WAY different than the one over here. Weekends and day before any holiday was always jam packed and impossible to navigate the isles! :) Curious is all.

Roger, in defense of your eating in earlier days....I can remember liking boxed spanish rice, and a few other items. BUT....I think in the beginning of these foods they were made differently..had less chemicals, less salt, preservatives, etc....but when food became a 'big business', and the bottom line wasn't what was good for the consumer, but was good for the stock holders.....it all changed. Just my opinion/thoughts.

Ok, I've procrastinated long enough...see ya later unless I get eaten by my new food processor or liquified by the VitaMix! LOL!!!

Later...
    no baby giraffe yet either.
  • parityanimal
    edited March 2017
    J's mother, sister, and our soon-to-be-niece-in-law are supposed to be coming to visit for the weekend. If they get here early enough, we may go to Kroger on Friday, but Saturday may have to do. His mother prefers to select her own fruits and snacks for her visit, and niece-in-law is picky about what she'll eat.

I'm planning to make Spaghetti at least one night while they are here, but will try to hide the fact that the meat in my sauce is going to be lamb...J's sauce, of course, will be vegetarian.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Road trip for the best Boudin Balls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOX5TyUAZoA
  • parityanimal
    Watch closely for the amazing "now you see it, now you don't" basket of bread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtjAckFH3bI
  • parityanimal
    J and I are home and OK. We drive through this area a LOT but were/are nowhere near tonight...

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/large-fire-shuts-down-interstate/507589453
  • GardenKatGardens
    Roger this may not really sound so awful to you, but we have a major problem in ATL right now. There was a horrific fire under a bridge on I-85...major major north south way thru our town, and for people passing thru.
    Ed, did you have your tv on? I was still in the kitchen, and had just turned the tv on..to see what looked like the fires of hell. When the interstate bridge fell it put out a good bit the fire. I see you've posted...will go read.