Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi Ed
    I was watching the spring baking challenge yesterday and one of the challenges was making a Napoleon in 90 minutes. The biggest fails were the Pastry being under-cooked and not being flaky. Me being me, I started wondering where I could get one these days since Bakeries seem to be a disappearing thing :(

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning!
    Not up long enough to have finished my coffee.......
    Today I think I'll tackle cleaning out at least half of my pantry. I know there are things lingering in there that I will not need/use. That may well be the whole focus of my day!
    I do have the two jackets in the washer that I wear while rocking Tom E. He sheds so badly that I have to have a 'cover up'.

Also there will be a trip to the gym. I should have gone yesterday and just didn't. My bad.
    I'll miss Thursday too.

Ok, time to drink up, let Tom E. in to eat his breakfast, and get this day rolling...like rolling boil of 'baking soda soup' for my black pan. Yum, not.

Later...
    no little giraffe today either. I didn't see it, but yesterday she got miffed at the Vet and tried to kick him! Fortunately for him, she missed! :)
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,213 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

Last night I hardly noticed it was chicken legs! The preparation was great, and the colorful vegetables made it a happy looking plate.

Lilo actually let me sleep in until almost 8:00!

Still got the whites and towels from yesterday to fold, but almost done with laundry.

My pantry could probably use a clean out too but not sure if I really want to go there today.

Can't even get the weather page to load today, an my phone isn't close at hand. It will be what it will be.

Not growing up with a phone constantly at my hip sometimes makes me feel very free! I know so many people who must have it constantly and any tiny noise or vibration or whatever MUST be checked instantly!

I'll leave mine for hours in the other room, charging. And if I forget it on a short trip to the grocery, or a meeting, then I don't rush back for it instantly unless there is some list or file on it that I absolutely have to have for the meeting or grocery trip.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Valerie, you probably already know this but soaking the pan in pure white vinegar might help to de-gunk it some.

• parityanimal
    Street food around the world. Mexico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeAvDzen2Us
  • GardenKatGardens
    You could safely say 'don't buy anything heavy' at the Whole Foods Hot bar. I can buy 3 servings of Chicken Fried Tofu for $12-13 bucks. He'll learn :)

You know, that pot was easy to clean. I had just let it soak in plain water overnight...so, I filled the pot with water, went to storage and picked up the bag of Baking Soda that I get really cheap at Costco..put about ¾ cup in the pot and boiled it for a bit.....I stirred it and realized the mess was soft...dumped the water, and scraped the pan with a bamboo spatula thing....most came off, and my green scratchy thingy got the rest real easily. Pot clean as new in less time than it takes to steam a pot of sweet potato slices! Whew! That was a load off my mind. I figured I'd be working on that pot for weeks.

Ok, going to look for something that looks like dinner! :)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 54 out there with a high of 81 expected today! I guess we had Spring.

No chance of rain.

I need to read the Kroger ad and the Aldi ad in the email and see whether I need to get out to the store today. Otherwise, not much on the agenda.

Yesterday I did finish folding the laundry, set out 6 pieces of prickly pear cactus to hopefully grow, watered my cuttings of a pretty crepe myrtle and my pots with sprouted Meyer lemon seeds. The cactus is a non-prickly variety but does have micro-spines so you still have to be careful in handling it. If the cactus take, they'll find spots out front.

No plants yet in the lemon pots but I'm hopeful that I'll get at least one nice, decorative lemon tree going. The crepe myrtle was a volunteer that appeared in one of my flower beds, but could NOT stay where it was.

It was too big to move since we let it grow for a year to see what color it would be, expecting white like our trees lining one side of the driveway. Instead it was a lovely purply fuchsia color and we wanted to keep it, but it would soon be cracking the driveway if left to its own devices. I took several cuttings and then cut it down to the ground.

I'll probably have to kill it again, as crepe myrtle can be rather persistent. It killed one of my roses already by gobbling up all the nutrients and the other rose is mostly gone and may not survive. I hope these cuttings are worth it...I'll put them in fairly isolated spots in the yard if they take, as I know the lawn around them will become rather bare.

Need to clear the sink into the dishwasher.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    edited March 2017
    *GASP* Correction! I just looked at the lemon pots and I HAVE A SPROUT! Very small, but definitely a sprout. Hopefully the other two will come along. I also have two more seeds that might sprout, put away in a cabinet in a piece of damp paper towel inside a baggie.

Now if I can just keep this little lemon tree sprout alive!

9wkjygvzc6az.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    ED!!! Great that you've gotten a Meyer Lemon sprout! The Crepe Myrtle color sounds really pretty. I have a big tall white Natchez in my back yard, and my little buddy Antonio planted a lavender colored Natchez in my front yard one day. Always fun to come home and find you have a new tree suddenly in your yard! :) Good luck killing the Crepe Myrt! Jack has been killing one for years now. He cuts it back to the ground and a dozen sprouts come up from the roots, etc. Someone before him planted it way to close to his house and it really needs to be gone!
    Also I have a plan,...how about you go to Aldi's and I'll hit Kroger, and we'll meet at Trader Joes' and exchange groceries???? LOL!!! I'll have to go to Publix myself as they have the hand tossed corn tortilla's that I like, and I get my blood pressure checked there each Wednesday...I don't know why...habit??

Roger, good morning. You're probably having your breakfast. Hope you had a great walk this morning. I'm heading to Costco before I hit Kroger, as its on the way. Looking at my list, I should be all over both stores....lots of steps today. Yesterday was first day back at the gym...I was going to do my cardio as a split between TM and Bike.... then one of my old members came by and asked if I was going to stay for the arms class...so I did. Ended up with 70 minutes of 'activity', 30 minutes of arms, and nearly 10,000 steps. A bit to much my body is saying today! LOL!

Time to hit the shower, head to Costco so I'm there when it opens, Kroger is going to be a long shop, and then there's the gym, and later still for a chat with DS1. I think I'm about to be tired!

No giraffe baby...if you can call 150 pound birth weight 'baby'.......

Later...
  • parityanimal
    EXTRA FANCY PORK AND BEANS???

When I was growing up, we often used pork and beans to make baked beans, and sometimes ate them just warmed up or even cold, right from the can.

Now I'm seeing an advertisement for EXTRA FANCY pork and beans.

On one company's web site, I found a specifications document that listed certain qualities to be met in their EXTRA FANCY pork and beans that listed a number of qualities one might expect from most pork and beans in general, and finally ended up with the fact that:

EXTRA FANCY pork and beans, apparently, have a heavier, richer tomato sauce than FANCY pork and beans.

So...on to web search about FANCY pork and beans. Well, I can't seem to find what differentiates FANCY pork and beans from ordinary, everyday pork and beans. Is there some middle gradation of heaviness and richness to the tomato sauce? Is the tiny piece of pork cut into the shape of a party hat? Are the individual beans wearing party hats?

As the king of Siam might have said...is a puzzlement.

Somehow even with heavier, richer tomato sauce, I just can't quite see pork and beans as EXTRA FANCY, or even just FANCY.

Fancy that.
  • RogerToo
    oMRqOU.jpg

67nhlO.jpg

VRfSZ5.gif

UVXJ4R.gif

SBmc0N.jpg

8W9ccE.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking today and did 8,000 steps. The temperature this morning was 45 degrees and and there had been rain falling When I went to bed. It had stopped by the time I was out the door.

Today's plan is to continue working on digitizing some more of the 78s and 33 1/3 RPM records. I Have finished two episodes of Gangbusters so far.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    You could safely say 'don't buy anything heavy' at the Whole Foods Hot bar. I can buy 3 servings of Chicken Fried Tofu for $12-13 bucks. He'll learn :)

You know, that pot was easy to clean. I had just let it soak in plain water overnight...so, I filled the pot with water, went to storage and picked up the bag of Baking Soda that I get really cheap at Costco..put about ¾ cup in the pot and boiled it for a bit.....I stirred it and realized the mess was soft...dumped the water, and scraped the pan with a bamboo spatula thing....most came off, and my green scratchy thingy got the rest real easily. Pot clean as new in less time than it takes to steam a pot of sweet potato slices! Whew! That was a load off my mind. I figured I'd be working on that pot for weeks.

Ok, going to look for something that looks like dinner! :)

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I'm glad to hear that the pot cleaned so easily.
    Buying any type of potato at a hot food bar where they charge by the pound is not a good idea :)
    ED!!! Great that you've gotten a Meyer Lemon sprout! The Crepe Myrtle color sounds really pretty. I have a big tall white Natchez in my back yard, and my little buddy Antonio planted a lavender colored Natchez in my front yard one day. Always fun to come home and find you have a new tree suddenly in your yard! :) Good luck killing the Crepe Myrt! Jack has been killing one for years now. He cuts it back to the ground and a dozen sprouts come up from the roots, etc. Someone before him planted it way to close to his house and it really needs to be gone!
    Also I have a plan,...how about you go to Aldi's and I'll hit Kroger, and we'll meet at Trader Joes' and exchange groceries???? LOL!!! I'll have to go to Publix myself as they have the hand tossed corn tortilla's that I like, and I get my blood pressure checked there each Wednesday...I don't know why...habit??

Roger, good morning. You're probably having your breakfast. Hope you had a great walk this morning. I'm heading to Costco before I hit Kroger, as its on the way. Looking at my list, I should be all over both stores....lots of steps today. Yesterday was first day back at the gym...I was going to do my cardio as a split between TM and Bike.... then one of my old members came by and asked if I was going to stay for the arms class...so I did. Ended up with 70 minutes of 'activity', 30 minutes of arms, and nearly 10,000 steps. A bit to much my body is saying today! LOL!

Time to hit the shower, head to Costco so I'm there when it opens, Kroger is going to be a long shop, and then there's the gym, and later still for a chat with DS1. I think I'm about to be tired!

No giraffe baby...if you can call 150 pound birth weight 'baby'.......

Later...

I was having my breakfast and then drove to the Acme, Drugstore to pick up a prescription and stopped at the Produce store for some yellow onions for my brother since he is picking up things at the ShopRite grocery Store for me while he is there.

Baby is relative :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    After you put the lime in the coconut you drink 'em both up, of course! But then you may have to call the doctor and wake him up...
  • RogerToo
    EXTRA FANCY PORK AND BEANS???

When I was growing up, we often used pork and beans to make baked beans, and sometimes ate them just warmed up or even cold, right from the can.

Now I'm seeing an advertisement for EXTRA FANCY pork and beans.

On one company's web site, I found a specifications document that listed certain qualities to be met in their EXTRA FANCY pork and beans that listed a number of qualities one might expect from most pork and beans in general, and finally ended up with the fact that:

EXTRA FANCY pork and beans, apparently, have a heavier, richer tomato sauce than FANCY pork and beans.

So...on to web search about FANCY pork and beans. Well, I can't seem to find what differentiates FANCY pork and beans from ordinary, everyday pork and beans. Is there some middle gradation of heaviness and richness to the tomato sauce? Is the tiny piece of pork cut into the shape of a party hat? Are the individual beans wearing party hats?

As the king of Siam might have said...is a puzzlement.

Somehow even with heavier, richer tomato sauce, I just can't quite see pork and beans as EXTRA FANCY, or even just FANCY.

Fancy that.

Hi Ed
    Whooppee heavier Richer Tomato Sauce, Big Deal :)

Thank You for the humor
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    After you put the lime in the coconut you drink 'em both up, of course! But then you may have to call the doctor and wake him up...

Yup, That is the way I remember the song :)
  • parityanimal
    One pack of chicken legs left in the freezer now. One pack was fairly thoroughly browned and is in a slow cooker with bacon, sausage, beans, minced onions, minced carrots, seasoning, and herbs, and then some bread crumbs sprinkled on top, to make Eduardo's southern US slow cooker take on a traditional French dish.

Cassoulet has, apparently, three cities that claim to be the origin of the dish, with three different recipes.

Historically, it appears that Cassoulet was one of those "put a bunch of whatever meat and fowl is available" in with some beans, herbs and spices, possibly sprinkle some breadcrumbs on (though none of the big three call for the crumbs - Julia Child used them in HER recipe), and cook it all down until the beans are very soft and creamy. Break whatever crust forms on top, several times, during the cooking process, assuming the crust gets hard, to allow MORE crust to form.

Back in medieval Europe, what was available, more often than not, was some kind of pork, some sausage, some kind of bird or smoked bird, usually a duck or partridge. But I gather one normally didn't go out on a major shopping trip to get ingredients, one just used what was on hand. The bird I have on hand is chicken. :)

In the slow cooker it doesn't really appear to be making a hard crust so it will just be what it is. If it gets hard toward the end, that's fine. If not, then I can plate some and perhaps run it under a broiler for a few minutes to see if I can get it to crisp up. Or just eat it as it turns out.