Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited March 2017
    Hi
    I was out walking today and did 8.6K steps, The temperature was 43 degrees and is forecast to drop though the day. I regained 1/4 pound of the weight I had lost since yesterday morning due to having some of the fresh baked still warm Sweet Potato bread. It was tasty with the Little bit of Butter melting into it. It could have been worse if I had not adjusted my afternoon snack, Dinner and evening desert to compensate.

Not too surprising considering that the Sweet Potato bread recipe has 2 cups of sweet potatoes, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups flour, 1 cup vegetable oil, 3 large eggs, vanilla, Baking Soda, Baking Powder as well as assorted spices :)

While I was walking I dropped off one loaf of the bread, some of the Beer bread and the rest of the Sweet Potato Pie and the last of the Pecan Pie. A friend stopped off yesterday and picked up the other parts of the Pies and Beer bread. We held onto a little of the Sweet Potato bread which my brother will finish off, most likely today and that will be the end of those temptations :)

Then Later today I plan to work on digitizing some more of the 78RPM records.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 51 out there now, with high of 71 predicted for today, 20% chance of rain.

We had thunderstorms last night and we lost power last night, around 8:45. It was out for 7 hours and 3 minutes. I went around turning off all the lights I knew were on, but was unsure about my lamp next to the bed, on the nightstand, which turned out, of course, to be the only light that I turned ON thinking it was already on, so I was briefly awakened by the power coming back on, partly because of the resumption of all the myriad electrical "house" noises, along with the lamp suddenly turning on.

I got the timing from the kitchen stove, which was blinking and showing a time 7 hours and three minutes in the past. It does that, somehow, holding the time that the power went of and then keeping time from then until it is reset, blinking to let you know that it is not necessarily the correct time.

Maybe laundry today. Maybe not.
    Hi Ed
    Our temperature is dropping throughout the day and by the time I returned home it was less comfortable then when I left due to declining temperatures and the wind increasing.

When my Power comes back on after any interruption It wakes me up since the oldest TV left in the house a 32" HDTV that is in the bedroom turns on at a high audio level :(

I guess it could have been worse as it was less than 8 hours and Frozen and refrigerated items should be fine.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,213 Member
    This is consistent with ratings done of food, where the rating panelists had the SAME food, at different times, but were told it was inexpensive, fast food, one time and then told it was more expensive, fancier restaurant food the second. Even though it was the same food, they felt the "more expensive" food tasted better.
    Come to think of it, that's probably why the powdered, instant coffee was so appreciated at the fine restaurants in the commercial...because it was a fine restaurant so the coffee HAD to be good, right?

Of course that sort of association of cost with quality doesn't apply to EVERYONE, but it seems to with a fairly large chunk of the population.

http://cheezburger.com/85797121/fail-why-expensive-wine-is-for-suckers?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+failblog+(The+FAIL+Blog+-+Fail+Pictures+&+Videos+at+Failblog.ORG)
  • parityanimal
    This is the door to our water heater closet. I have just noticed this myself. Or re-noticed it. You may notice that on the outside door knob, there is a simple, twist type, lock, such as one might normally find on the inside of a bath room or bedroom door.

I can only assume this is to keep the water heater from escaping…

20170322_184948_zpssvoalv4x.jpg
  • RogerToo
    vHVn7h.jpg

27VhRo.jpg

FlK9XO.jpg

5cgOKN.jpg

VOubLy.jpg

VVtscZ.jpg
  • RogerToo
    edited March 2017
    Hi
    I was out walking today and did 7.1Ksteps, The temperature was 23 degrees and is colder than yesterday, It was not that much worse walking than yesterday since there was no wind today. I lost the 1/4 pound of yesterdays weight gain and more weight this morning

Later today I plan to work on digitizing some more of the 78RPM records. The ones I did yesterday are old and many were one sided. Many of them under the Victor and Victor Record label, from the Victor Talking Machine Company :)
    Working on 33 1/3 RPM records too, Currently I am starting on two shows from Serenade in Blue a Radio Program of the U.S. Air Force Recruiting Service :)

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Ed
    I am not surprised that food items from fancy eateries are perceived to taste better than the same item from a Fast food place. Perception and ambience play a part too.

I have the same sort of thing happening with doors, It was what was handy at the time IMO.

Thank You for the interesting links.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

Hi Valerie
    I hope the vacation is going well.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 49 out there now and supposed to hit a high of 58 today, with no chance of precipitation.

Still pondering laundry. LOL! Obviously it's not critical.

J is heading out soon to the Asheville orchid show, as our local Atlanta society is putting up a display there. He and another member will be setting it up. He may be doing the photography for the American Orchid Society judging that will take place there during the show too.

Sink needs to be cleared of a few items, but not ready yet to run the dishwasher.

Might want to get out to the grocery.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Taste test Girl Scout cookies...not made from real Girl Scouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cscGsXHZjCY
  • parityanimal
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Quick "HI", while I can keep a connection.

Having a great time....doing nothing in particular...seeing the ocean, enjoying daily Starbucks, little shopping, etc. And dinners out!

Roger, great job of immediately resuming your diet, and taking that splurge eating in tow!!!
    I'll be doing that upon re-entry to ATL. Mine is mostly going to be salt, so it should come off quickly too.

Ed, saw the yellow flower, but couldn't place what it was...help......:)
    Talked to both my kids, and a few friends in ATL, and DS1 had high winds that scared the kids, but no damage...DS2 said he saw a few twigs on the sidewalk...
    Sorry you were without power for 7+ hours...that's no fun after about the first half hour!!!

Later...
    Checked this morning, still no baby giraffe! LOL!!
  • parityanimal
    I believe the yellow/orange flower is a variety of wallflower.

I agree with Roger that at least we can be happy it was back on that soon, as I didn't worry at all about the stuff in the refrigerator or the freezers. We'd have been having an enormous neighborhood cookout otherwise, I think!

It would have given the neighbors a chance to taste goose, if they never had. LOL.
  • RogerToo
    FWIW Here is the Sweet Potato Bread Recipe
    My Sister's Sweet Potato Bread
    Recipe by Karen=^..^=
    Perfectly moist with just the right amount of sweetness. I left out the walnuts (personal preference) and added pecans to one

Yield 2 Standard Loaves
    Units are US

2 cups white sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    3 eggs
    2 cups mashed canned candied yams or 2 cups sweet potatoes
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    3 cups flour
    1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1⁄2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ginger
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg, sweet potatoes and vanilla.
    In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients (except walnuts) together well and add to wet ingredients.
    Stir until just combined.
    Fold in walnuts.
    Pour into 2 standard loaf pans.
    Bake for 75 minutes or until thin knife inserted in center comes out clean.
    We used Pecans since we had them left over from the Pecan Pie and would have had to buy Walnuts.
    Link to the web page that also has a picture of the finished Product
    Here is the Nutrition info from the same page:
    Note that the Nutrition information is for the entire recipe so You have to decide what portion to use :)
    Nutrition Info
    Serving Size: 1 (1280 g)
    Servings Per Recipe: 1
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value Calories 2926.1
    Calories from Fat 1407 48%
    Total Fat 156.4 g 240%
    Saturated Fat 20.4 g 102%
    Cholesterol 279 mg 93%
    Sodium 1372.7 mg 57%
    Total Carbohydrate 354.4 g 118%
    Dietary Fiber 10.2 g 40%
    Sugars 202.3 g 809%
    Protein 37.9 g 75%
    BTW We baked Sweet Potatoes in and then peeled them to get them for the baking as using Candied Yams would have made it really sweet, OTOH if You would rather not bake them and then cool them before use look for a low sugar canned version :)

I also have two recipes for the Sweet potato Pies that we have used and the Really easy to make Beer bread if anybody is interested.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Quick "HI", while I can keep a connection.

Having a great time....doing nothing in particular...seeing the ocean, enjoying daily Starbucks, little shopping, etc. And dinners out!

Roger, great job of immediately resuming your diet, and taking that splurge eating in tow!!!
    I'll be doing that upon re-entry to ATL. Mine is mostly going to be salt, so it should come off quickly too.

Ed, saw the yellow flower, but couldn't place what it was...help......:)
    Talked to both my kids, and a few friends in ATL, and DS1 had high winds that scared the kids, but no damage...DS2 said he saw a few twigs on the sidewalk...
    Sorry you were without power for 7+ hours...that's no fun after about the first half hour!!!

Later...
    Checked this morning, still no baby giraffe! LOL!!

Hi Valerie
    I am glad You are enjoying Yourself.

I remain amazed how much sodium is used in cooking by businesses.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    I believe the yellow/orange flower is a variety of wallflower.

I agree with Roger that at least we can be happy it was back on that soon, as I didn't worry at all about the stuff in the refrigerator or the freezers. We'd have been having an enormous neighborhood cookout otherwise, I think!

It would have given the neighbors a chance to taste goose, if they never had. LOL.
    Hi Ed
    I am trying to remember if I ever had Goose and think the answer is nope. Is it anything like Duck which I have had in the past.

When the Superstorm Sandy ate our electric for many a day some of the foods in the freezer were still frozen. Those would have been the ones surrounded by other frozen that had become soft. We did cook and eat the items that had not defrosted :) Call us Cheap or my preferred term "Frugal"

We did throw out everything in the refrigerator even before the power came back on, excluding some Vegetables and Eggs.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    SuPSiu.jpg

dTXTU4.jpg

Fa73UP.gif

EH87Eh.jpg

W6f4wj.jpg

3DIMAL.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking today and did 4.9K steps + Thin Dime so far, The temperature was 32 degrees and is warmer than yesterday, I will be going out later with three stops and should be over my goal in steps. Produce Store, Dollar Store and Bank.

Later today I plan to work on digitizing some more of the 78s and 33 1/3 RPM records. The one I am doing right now is a AudioDisc which is a brand of blank 78 RPM records that local recording studios and people that had home record cutters would use. FWIW I actually have a Old Console AM/SW/Record player and record cutter stored in the attic.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday!

55 out there now, and supposed to get to 70 with zero percent chance of rain.

I've been up for a while, and seriously pondered going out for breakfast but decided to stay in and not be so lazy about it. I have plenty of food in the house and ended up having a very nice breakfast. Lilo thinks so too since she got a couple of small crumbs of bacon.

Maybe laundry today! If I keep saying that, eventually it will be true.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...