Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,213 Member
    The rest of last night's Chicken Cacciatore will be today's lunch. I haven't counted to see just exactly how many packs of chicken legs are left in the freezer, but thought I saw two packs, four legs each still in there when I was poking around for something else the other day.

Recently I've had one pack just roasted, which were quite nice, and then last night was the one pack made into a quick Chicken Cacciatore.

I still have loads more of the thighs, but I'm trying to eliminate the legs first, and then move on to the thighs, my preferred cut of the dark side.

I'll ponder that as I sip my tea...Eduardo may have some ideas for the remaining legs. Or...GOOGLE SEARCH! I'm sure the people of the internet can assist on this. :)

• parityanimal
    edited March 2017
    French food tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMzaDb7n_a0

And ... French STREET food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_hPPFcznI8

And...Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman (Paris, France)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOjWZ433wuE
  • parityanimal
    Mmmm. As with many tomato sauced dishes, my Chicken Cacciatore leftovers were even TASTIER at lunch! Now I'm out of that.

Eduardo is thinking some kind of baked chicken and vegetables dish for the next package of legs...another check of the freezer found THREE more packs of the legs, so I pulled one out to thaw, possibly for tomorrow's dinner.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    edited March 2017
    I think we need to have an 'Early Risers Chicken Leg' day for Ed!!! 3 more...still 2 in the freezer right? How about pulling the meat off of a baked pack and having Chicken Pot Pie? or Chicken and Dumplings?

I loved today's comic selections Roger, and Ed..yesterday's Ireland Foods was great. Sent it to my brother in MO and his family, they've all been twice and my niece has gone 3 times...she still shakes her head and wonders why we ever left Ireland! The food left my Colcannon in the dust! Though I'll continue to make it as its simple easy to make and good to boot!

Making progress. Laundry all washed and dried, Tom E's not only outside, but he's left the porch!

And if I forgot earlier....still no little giraffe. I did watch a video interview they did...April who is understandably a bit overweight now weighs a TON, and is about (forgot) will go back and listen again...lets just say she's too tall to play basketball!!! LOL!!

Just finishing lunch, and time to get back to unpacking...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    sryJQ5.jpg

oJFnC3.jpg

w4Umlh.gif

oS74HS.jpg

deK4qX.jpg

Lr2RR2.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking today and did 7,650 steps. The temperature this morning was 40 degrees and and there is a light rain falling. I added the Frogg Toggs jacket to what I wore. The rain showers from the forecast had started by the time I was out the door and slowly increased while I was walking so I shortened my walk a little bit.

Today's plan is to continue working on digitizing some more of the 78s and 33 1/3 RPM records. I am currently capturing a episode of The Green Hornet called The Soldier and Hos Dog.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited March 2017
    Good Sunday Morning.
    Well, I have one angry cat!! He swats and bites my shoes and sits right outside the back door. I foolishly left him and his food dish. water dish, etc outdoors last night....dratted raccoons have not forgotten my address for handouts. Grrrrrr.

Laundry in the dryer...lots to do. I did all the unpacking last night, except for my suitcase. So, that will be the chore today.

Rained last night at my house...have no idea how much, but everything is wet and leaves dripping etc this morning.

I need right now to focus on this other half of my cup of fully caffeinated coffee! Not wanting to actually wake this morning. Brain fog? Not surprised after a week at the beach, where I ate some mighty good food, (no meat etc), but flat breads, and rolls, etc I did not even eat my traditional meal of shrimp and scallops. Way too much salt in/on everything. No wonder people are sick from the food we eat! Good heavens........ oh, and oil. Yikes.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I am not surprised that they appeared, They seem to have long memories as to where food is.

I had my Laundry washed, dried and folded by mid afternoon Sunday.

Sadly high Levels of salt appear in most foods that are prepared in the home. From watching the cooking contest shows on TV it seems that one of the most common criticisms of the food being judged is a lack of seasoning AKA Salt and not enough Heat. Salt seems to be used to enhance the taste of foods.
    I think we need to have an 'Early Risers Chicken Leg' day for Ed!!! 3 more...still 2 in the freezer right? How about pulling the meat off of a baked pack and having Chicken Pot Pie? or Chicken and Dumplings?

I loved today's comic selections Roger, and Ed..yesterday's Ireland Foods was great. Sent it to my brother in MO and his family, they've all been twice and my niece has gone 3 times...she still shakes her head and wonders why we ever left Ireland! The food left my Colcannon in the dust! Though I'll continue to make it as its simple easy to make and good to boot!

Making progress. Laundry all washed and dried, Tom E's not only outside, but he's left the porch!

And if I forgot earlier....still no little giraffe. I did watch a video interview they did...April who is understandably a bit overweight now weighs a TON, and is about (forgot) will go back and listen again...lets just say she's too tall to play basketball!!! LOL!!

Just finishing lunch, and time to get back to unpacking...

I'm curious as to what is the Colcannon You mentioned?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    The rest of last night's Chicken Cacciatore will be today's lunch. I haven't counted to see just exactly how many packs of chicken legs are left in the freezer, but thought I saw two packs, four legs each still in there when I was poking around for something else the other day.

Recently I've had one pack just roasted, which were quite nice, and then last night was the one pack made into a quick Chicken Cacciatore.

I still have loads more of the thighs, but I'm trying to eliminate the legs first, and then move on to the thighs, my preferred cut of the dark side.

I'll ponder that as I sip my tea...Eduardo may have some ideas for the remaining legs. Or...GOOGLE SEARCH! I'm sure the people of the internet can assist on this. :)
    Hi Ed
    Have I ever mentioned that my brother prefers the Thighs too, He doesn't buy the legs even when on sale. He will eat them when he buys a whole cooked chicken however and I get the gift of free White meat off of it as a protein.
    Mmmm. As with many tomato sauced dishes, my Chicken Cacciatore leftovers were even TASTIER at lunch! Now I'm out of that.

Eduardo is thinking some kind of baked chicken and vegetables dish for the next package of legs...another check of the freezer found THREE more packs of the legs, so I pulled one out to thaw, possibly for tomorrow's dinner.
    I'm not surprised that the leftovers were tastier, Sitting in the sauce gave it a chance to marinate the legs even further.

BBQ Baked Legs maybe?

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited March 2017
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

My cat, Lilo, would do her level best to eat that whole 25 pound turkey!

56 out there now and headed to a high of 76 with 40% chance of scattered showers.

Now that J is home I probably WILL do that laundry, since I can include whatever he brought back worn from his road trip.

Need to try to get to the store too, for milk if nothing else.

I'll probably cook that thawed package of chicken legs tonight. I can mix up some vegetables for roasting and put it in two pans. One without chicken for J and one WITH chicken for me. Eduardo thinks it's a good idea but hasn't quite worked out the seasoning/spicing yet. That will likely be a last minute toss together.

Then I'll be down to just two packs of chicken legs in the freezer, along with sever packs yet of thighs. I don't really regret buying the chicken legs, as they were like 39 cents a pound and my inner cheapskate insisted that with that price Eduardo could figure out ways to prepare 28 chicken legs over time and I could darn well eat them.

Sometimes I really dislike that inner cheapskate but I have to admit he saves me money in the long run and inexpensive chicken tastes just as good as expensive chicken, for the most part, even if it IS my least favorite part of the bird. Parts is parts, right?

I packaged them up four legs to a pack and thus had 7 packs of legs to prepare.

I'm actually rather impressed that I've eaten 4 packs, working on the fifth, and only have two left now in the freezer. I HAVE eaten some of the thighs in between too, but have been trying to pace myself on the thighs so that I'll be sure to eat up all the legs. Eat up the least favorite first and save most of the best for last!

I actually love chicken breast and wings, but the breast is the most expensive part, and I have to admit that the thighs do tend to carry more flavor, though at the cost of also containing more fat. And wings don't have a whole lot of meat on them so I tend to only have wings as part of a whole chicken, which Eduardo doesn't prepare all that often, because Eddie doesn't buy whole chickens that often. Of course when they are on sale for ridiculous prices a couple of them might find their way into the deep freeze! A whole chicken is really my preferred meat mix for a big pot of chicken and dumplings. My mother used to buy whole chickens, cut them up, and make fried chicken from them. Sometimes I'll buy one whole for chicken and dumplings, or buy a whole chicken, already cut up into 8 pieces, for the chicken and dumplings, as the parts are a bit easier, in some ways, to cram down into a pot for simmering.

OK. Let's find a funny or interesting video for today.

Street food in Germany!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7BMd70vfoI

Street food in Japan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWisuBtbypE

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    If I were going to eat pastries for the next 8 minutes or so, I'd look really happy too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyzKAXteg-I
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good mid to late Day!!! :)
    I've been busy...cooked some beans, cooked some rice, ate my lunch, and signed up for a cooking thingy on Vegan Batch Cooking...this I think will be most interesting. Shop once a week, prep and cook pretty much everything you'll eat for the week...Comes with instructions as to the order to cook the items...so that it should only take 2-3 hours to cook your weeks worth of food.
    The Colcannon Roger is an Irish dish, that is pretty much mashed potatoes and boiled cabbage mixed together. If you like boiled cabbage and mashed potatoes, Colcannon is a very cheap and filling meal. I happen to really like it. Google for some recipe's and give it a try one day.

I loved bone in chicken thighs. Higher in fat, yes, also higher in nutrients, more flavorful, etc.
    I should post the slow cooker chicken thighs...you both might like them...J and I won't be having any none! :)

Later...
    no small giraffe in NY Animal Adventures Park.......
  • parityanimal
    When I was growing up, more familiar with English than Irish food, I would have called your Colcannon something else, but it's still about the same. Bubble and Squeak was what I thought of that dish being called.

I should buy some cabbage and make some. Don't know if J would like that or not.

• parityanimal
    edited March 2017
    Well, Eduardo chunked up a large, purple sweet potato, reserving several chunks to cook separately for the sugar gliders, in case they like it. We've heard that they do so those chunks have been steamed and put back into the fridge for later.

The rest of the sweet potato, along with a large onion, two medium potatoes, a medium large cauliflower, cut into florets, and some carrot chips has been divided between two bags, one of which had my chicken legs in with the vegetables.

Eduard put some olive oil and various herbs and seasonings in, shook the bags, and then put the fully vegetarian veggies into one baking dish and the other bag of veggies got dumped into a a separate baking dish, with the four seasoned chicken legs laying on top, skin side up.

It's all baking now at 375, with the dishes on opposite sides of the oven shelf, to prevent cross contamination. When the veggies (and my chicken) look done, then some shredded cheese will be sprinkled on the veggies in his dish and perhaps a bit less cheese around the chicken in the case of my dish. We should easily get two meals out of this, and with that colorful mix of veggies they should be very attractive meals too!

I knew I could count on Eduardo.
  • parityanimal
    Tonight's roasted vegetables gratin, with chicken legs roasted on top of the veggies for my dish. J's dish had no chicken, of course.

20170327_191455_zpschjeicvt.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    Bubble and Squeak...hadn't thought of that in years..many years!! LOL! Cooked a bit differently but basically alike.
    I loved the pastry tasting...like you, I'd have been grinning fool happy for 8 minutes of pastry tasting!
    Your dinner sounded really good too....mine was good, but ended up costing me some bucks...I steamed sweet potato, then broccoli, and finally baby carrots...except the carrots were for tomorrow, and I sat down to eat...I didn't hear the timer, totally forgot the carrots steaming away...and then something smelled 'weird'...that 3 quart bottom pan was totally dry, and completely BLACK....that's going to be a bear to clean tomorrow....even the pan that sits on the bottom pan, and has the holes doesn't look so good either. I see lots of baking soda, and simmering with water, and soaking, etc. Burned a pot of beans once...took me weeks to get it clean and a great deal of scrubbing too!! Lucky ole Me!! Or more like Forgetful ole Me.

Tomorrow folks...
  • RogerToo
    UDqGX4.jpg
    Doghouse :)

t4VUPF.jpg

Z1qV5P.gif

ta76eN.jpg

L0cVoi.jpg

X1LNZk.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking today and did 5,600 steps. The temperature this morning was 45 degrees and and there had been rain falling overnight. It had stopped by the time I was out the door.

Today's plan is to keep working on digitizing some more of the 78s and 33 1/3 RPM records.

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

My cat, Lilo, would do her level best to eat that whole 25 pound turkey!

56 out there now and headed to a high of 76 with 40% chance of scattered showers.

Snipped

Sometimes I really dislike that inner cheapskate but I have to admit he saves me money in the long run and inexpensive chicken tastes just as good as expensive chicken, for the most part, even if it IS my least favorite part of the bird. Parts is parts, right?

Snipped

I actually love chicken breast and wings, but the breast is the most expensive part, and I have to admit that the thighs do tend to carry more flavor, though at the cost of also containing more fat. And wings don't have a whole lot of meat on them so I tend to only have wings as part of a whole chicken, which Eduardo doesn't prepare all that often, because Eddie doesn't buy whole chickens that often. Of course when they are on sale for ridiculous prices a couple of them might find their way into the deep freeze! A whole chicken is really my preferred meat mix for a big pot of chicken and dumplings. My mother used to buy whole chickens, cut them up, and make fried chicken from them. Sometimes I'll buy one whole for chicken and dumplings, or buy a whole chicken, already cut up into 8 pieces, for the chicken and dumplings, as the parts are a bit easier, in some ways, to cram down into a pot for simmering.

OK. Let's find a funny or interesting video for today.

Street food in Germany!

Street food in Japan!
    Hi Ed
    That sounds like a cat with an appetite :)

I like the White meat too, Wings are good. Since they were "discovered" due to Buffalo Wings the price is high vs the amount of meat, hence we now see boneless wings that are not really wings....
    Nothing wrong with being frugal IMO.

Currently the rain has stopped falling and is forecast to return later today. I took advantage of the lack of rainfall to stop at the post office and mail some payments off. I put the mail in a plastic bag and hook it over my arm until I get to the P.O., that ensures it stays safe and does not fall out of My pocket.

The street food in Germany looked tasty
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good mid to late Day!!! :)
    I've been busy...cooked some beans, cooked some rice, ate my lunch, and signed up for a cooking thingy on Vegan Batch Cooking...this I think will be most interesting. Shop once a week, prep and cook pretty much everything you'll eat for the week...Comes with instructions as to the order to cook the items...so that it should only take 2-3 hours to cook your weeks worth of food.
    The Colcannon Roger is an Irish dish, that is pretty much mashed potatoes and boiled cabbage mixed together. If you like boiled cabbage and mashed potatoes, Colcannon is a very cheap and filling meal. I happen to really like it. Google for some recipe's and give it a try one day.

I loved bone in chicken thighs. Higher in fat, yes, also higher in nutrients, more flavorful, etc.
    I should post the slow cooker chicken thighs...you both might like them...J and I won't be having any none! :)

Later...
    no small giraffe in NY Animal Adventures Park.......

Hi Valerie
    Thank You for the answer as to what that was :)

My understanding is that cooking with the bone in also gives more flavor to the meat.
    Bubble and Squeak...hadn't thought of that in years..many years!! LOL! Cooked a bit differently but basically alike.
    I loved the pastry tasting...like you, I'd have been grinning fool happy for 8 minutes of pastry tasting!
    Your dinner sounded really good too....mine was good, but ended up costing me some bucks...I steamed sweet potato, then broccoli, and finally baby carrots...except the carrots were for tomorrow, and I sat down to eat...I didn't hear the timer, totally forgot the carrots steaming away...and then something smelled 'weird'...that 3 quart bottom pan was totally dry, and completely BLACK....that's going to be a bear to clean tomorrow....even the pan that sits on the bottom pan, and has the holes doesn't look so good either. I see lots of baking soda, and simmering with water, and soaking, etc. Burned a pot of beans once...took me weeks to get it clean and a great deal of scrubbing too!! Lucky ole Me!! Or more like Forgetful ole Me.

Tomorrow folks...
    You could try Oven Cleaner on the Pan. That is what my brother uses on the stove if something boils over and it does work well on the Black metal parts that the pans sit on. I was sitting on the Living Room one evening watching TV with my brother and smelled something, He forgot he left something cooking on the stove too. I guess he was not that hungry or he might have gone to get it.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger