Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,711 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! Welcome back Millie.

Working a long middle today, but the rain is supposed to be mostly over so that may be a plus. It's not supposed to be quite as hot today, which is a definite plus! Only 88 expected for the high in my area. I'll take that over 98 anytime.

I need to get J up so he can help medicate the sugar gliders. Bleah.
    โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some only once...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi All
    Went for a walk and hit 2.79 miles and 2 cents. The weather was beautiful with humidity in the 30s% and Temperatures in the high 60s. The rain originally forecast for today earlier this week has gone south of us :)

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Good Morning on a fine Thursday mid morning!
    I fell into the internet, and just 'surfaced', big gulp of air...and I'm going diving again! I fell into a nest of vegan and vegetarian recipe's that seem down to earth and don't require a quarter tsp of something you know you'll never use again kinda recipe's.

Ed, I hate you have to work during the storms today, but we need rain so badly, that I have to hope we get it.
    I've watered twice, and need to do it again if this doesn't pan out.
    Tell how you made the pasta e fagioli, please? I found this strange sauce 'Vegan Cheese Sauce" at the Midtown WH yesterday. I opened it and it tastes pretty good. It does have a list of ingredients, but no other info on it...makes me think it was made at Whole Foods... and in my Wednesday charge thru Publix they had Publix pasta on sale for a buck a box, so I got 3. :) I was almost out of penne, and had been wanting a cold farfalle salad, etc.....
    Have been missing cheese for awhile, and if J thought your fagioli was good, I'd love to give it a try!

Yesterday off from the gym seemed weird, but my gym time is paying off. Chiro was very impressed with my bones, and sent me on my way for another month!!! YEA!!!!! So, sometime this afternoon I will be found at PF walking and doing strength machines. I need to figure out some core exercises...I know I've done them before, just have to get a list organized and then DO IT!!

Roger I can visualize you out walking! When I lived in NJ so many years ago, there was an older Indian man who walked past my house every day...neighbors said he'd been walking for some time, and that they'd watched him lose a lot of weight! So keep up the good!!!! :)

Ok, I need to either go fix some kind of breakfast, or wait another half hour or so, and just skip breakfast and tumble right into lunch!!!! hmmmmmm??????

Later...

Hi Valerie
    If I walk past the one park with the Lake in it I often see a man from India walking. Maybe I will take that route tomorrow, The only problem with the Walk past the lake is all the Goose byproducts on the pavement. There are way to many geese that never fly south anymore here in NJ. I see the geese on the walkway and lake and below the dam in the stream I sometimes see a bunch of ducks and sometimes I see them upstream from the lake instead.

That Internet thing can eat a lot of time if You are not careful. Ask me or my brother.

Cheers
    Roger
    Roger I swear I did not see your post this afternoon when I posted 'where's Roger'....
    Glad you got your walk in, and that it was cool for you for a change.
    Don't worry about the plants/gardens and the herons... they are fish eaters. Have issues with them here in GA...eating the koi out of peoples little landscape ponds!, AND the garden stores that carry Koi to stock those ponds have to cover their big tanks too!

I'm trying to stay awake to watch the debate...Not at all sure I'll make it.

Later...

Hi Again
    I sort of wonder if there will be any fish in the lake or stream now that it has been discovered by the Heron.

We were watching the Debate and then approaching 10PM I ran out of energy, I set it to record in the DVR and wen to bed. One side effect of getting up early to beat the heat is a earlier bedtime than previously.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Good Morning Friends...I've been MIA for quite a while between traveling and needing a break. Yesterday was my 1 year anniversary on NS and I'm happy to say that I am still here!! Summer vacations are over and it is time to refocus and get back to business. My freezer and cupboard are stocked with my NS meals and it feels good to be back to a regular schedule. A couple of weeks off my food plan and I can feel the difference in many ways, energy level being one...I do feel so much better when I am getting lots of fresh veggies and water...hard to do when spending 8-10 hours in the car. At any rate...on to the last 40 lbs!! as my signature line always said, I did not start on the journey to quit halfway!!!

Hope you all have a great Friday!

Hi Millie
    Welcome back, Have You tried the new 100% challenge?
    If You are interested here is a link to it.

I find that the NutriSystem diet has the same effect on me, more energy.

Good Luck with the last 40 pounds
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Its afternoon now, but Good Morning anyhow! :smiley:
    Had my doc appt, she poked on all my joints, trying to find anything, and we decided I have tendonitis, right index finger. ( you know, the one that clicks, and scrolls, etc)...so for the next two weeks, I am a lefty with my mouse.
    She said she has corp. tunnel, and switches her mouse every two weeks. I go back to see her in two weeks for my physical anyhow, so that will work out fine..

Then I drove to Costco put gas in the car, picked up my thyroid med, and took myself out to lunch at Sweet Tomatoes...home now, trash bins back to the house, and I'm about to have a nice nap!

Roger I don't think you need worry about the fish in the river, pond? will depend on how big it is, and how well stocked it was. I loved your walk milage and 2 cents!! Made me smile.

Ed, thanks for your take on the pasta...I think I may have to give it a try. Sound delicious, maybe a bit spicy for this ole gal, but since I control the hand that shakes the pepper flakes, etc. I think I can manage! :)

Millie HI!!! Welcome back! Sounds like you had a good summer, if only a little bit off plan! :) Congrats on your one year anniv. You'll get these last 40...think how wonderful that will make you feel!!! :) I'm not quite sure what the 100% challenge is, but if by chance its 100% on plan, that would be a great way to restart for you.

That's it folks, I'm headed for my nap!
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! We have orchid judging photography this afternoon, and then a party this evening. I need to make black beans and rice (vegan) in between but I think I can manage that...the hosts are providing Cuban sandwiches but J won't eat that, and guests are providing sides and chips and such, so I am making sure to bring something for the other half that is tasty and has no meat. Potato salad would have been a good option too, especially if I added lots of eggs, but I don't think I have time to make that in such a short window.

Needless to say, he enjoyed the last of the pasta e fagioli for dinner the other night, though he did say that with the mozzarella sticks appetizer he felt rather stuffed.
    โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Beautiful Saturday Morning From GA !!!!
    Wowzers! Cool outside this morning. Doors open, cats fed, I need to do the same for self!
    Sun coming thru the trees is beautiful, but it also tells of a hot day to come in the ATL!

House work today will be a search and destroy mission.....like getting rid of things I no longer use, wear, need...
    I've promised myself that, and an hour at the gym. Though this would be a dandy day to hit a farmers market.....
    Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Ed, you've got a busy day at your house! Hope the Orchid Photos go well, and easily!! Mine (phalaenopsis) have finally quit blooming....they've been beautiful for 6 months so no complaints. Time to give them some extra TLC so they bloom again next early spring. :)

Roger.....??? Hope you've had a good walk! Did you try the new route today? How are your blue heron friends...teheheeee! My only personal 'run in' with a Great Blue Heron was years ago by a lake here in GA at dusk, and I mean I almost ran into him. Was walking around a wooded lake trail with a friend, who grabbed my arm to stop me, and declared the 'thing' was a pterodactyl! LOL!!!! With the lack of light the old guy was practically invisible. And yes, of course, I talked to him, and he listened, turning his head from side to side like he really knew what I was saying!! LOL, LOL!

Ok, on with my day wherever it takes me!!!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi All
    It is another beautiful day here in NJ Low Humidity, and when I walked it was in the 60s. 2.75 miles and 11cents.

I just got back form the Acme, They had cases of Bottled water for $1.99 if You buy 6 so I saved $3 on the 6 cases. It was a Mix and Match thing with any six items counting towards the six, However I had no use for the others :)

Dannon Light & Fit was 10 for $10. They also had the Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt for the same price and the Oikos came with a free dozen Large Acme brand eggs and a free Essentials Cream Cheese 8oz included. I looked at it but the calorie count was higher on the Oikos and I was not sure how it tasted :)

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger

Have You checked out the Humor posts here ?
    Humorous Pictures

Here is a sample not posted there yet. It will be in a few minutes however :)
    jp9ygu9r5x9e.jpg

Have a nice day
    Roger

Its afternoon now, but Good Morning anyhow! :smiley:
    Had my doc appt, she poked on all my joints, trying to find anything, and we decided I have tendonitis, right index finger. ( you know, the one that clicks, and scrolls, etc)...so for the next two weeks, I am a lefty with my mouse.
    She said she has corp. tunnel, and switches her mouse every two weeks. I go back to see her in two weeks for my physical anyhow, so that will work out fine..

Then I drove to Costco put gas in the car, picked up my thyroid med, and took myself out to lunch at Sweet Tomatoes...home now, trash bins back to the house, and I'm about to have a nice nap!

Roger I don't think you need worry about the fish in the river, pond? will depend on how big it is, and how well stocked it was. I loved your walk milage and 2 cents!! Made me smile.

Ed, thanks for your take on the pasta...I think I may have to give it a try. Sound delicious, maybe a bit spicy for this ole gal, but since I control the hand that shakes the pepper flakes, etc. I think I can manage! :)

Millie HI!!! Welcome back! Sounds like you had a good summer, if only a little bit off plan! :) Congrats on your one year anniv. You'll get these last 40...think how wonderful that will make you feel!!! :) I'm not quite sure what the 100% challenge is, but if by chance its 100% on plan, that would be a great way to restart for you.

That's it folks, I'm headed for my nap!

Hi Valerie
    It isn't a river that would be too grandiose a term for that brook. Water levels are sort of low from lack of rain too.

I had Carpal Tunnel back in the 90s, I ended up with surgery on both hands for it. I have had a inflamed joint in the right hand recently. The Hand doctor gave it a shot that cleared it up, Medicare + Supplement paid it all too. The Shot was very painful but cleared up fairly quickly.

Cheers
    Roger
    Good Beautiful Saturday Morning From GA !!!!
    Wowzers! Cool outside this morning. Doors open, cats fed, I need to do the same for self!
    Sun coming thru the trees is beautiful, but it also tells of a hot day to come in the ATL!

House work today will be a search and destroy mission.....like getting rid of things I no longer use, wear, need...
    I've promised myself that, and an hour at the gym. Though this would be a dandy day to hit a farmers market.....
    Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Ed, you've got a busy day at your house! Hope the Orchid Photos go well, and easily!! Mine (phalaenopsis) have finally quit blooming....they've been beautiful for 6 months so no complaints. Time to give them some extra TLC so they bloom again next early spring. :)

Roger.....??? Hope you've had a good walk! Did you try the new route today? How are your blue heron friends...teheheeee! My only personal 'run in' with a Great Blue Heron was years ago by a lake here in GA at dusk, and I mean I almost ran into him. Was walking around a wooded lake trail with a friend, who grabbed my arm to stop me, and declared the 'thing' was a pterodactyl! LOL!!!! With the lack of light the old guy was practically invisible. And yes, of course, I talked to him, and he listened, turning his head from side to side like he really knew what I was saying!! LOL, LOL!

Ok, on with my day wherever it takes me!!!

Later...

Hi Again
    The last few days the weather has been beautiful, cool and low humidity in the morning when I get out the door before sunrise to walk.

I took an old route today as I wanted to mail a Credit card bill and a Donation to the Rescue Squad here in town at the Post Office. Then I combined that with a walk back to see what is happening in a lot where they tore down the old house. It looks like another two family monstrosity replacing a single family house.

On the way back I picked up some Burger King garbage from the road and threw it away and discussed it with a Young lady walking here dog. Maybe She will start too:) It was near a city garbage can so easy to do. Some days I have filled a Plastic Grocery Store bag with assorted debris from the street. I have a suspicion that the same litterbug drivers have a car that is spotless inside :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Hey Roger! Looks like your 'change' is increasing. Wouldn't it be nice if those folks with their spotless car interiors dropped money instead of trash! LOL!!

I've been known to walk down my street and back up the other side of the street to home, dragging a big black trash bag....no, there wasn't that much trash, but I wanted my mission to be OBVIOUS to anyone who happened to see me....little old gray haired lady picking up YOUR damn trash! It worked for awhile, but we have quite a few new folk on the street, so I may have to repeat my 'act' again in a month or two....if I go early nobody will see me! :)

I'm finishing my lunch, and will then get some shoes on, and a different shirt and head for the gym. I've used that organizing app thru 4 sessions today....and have regained some floor space, created a few donations, and some trash.

Now I need to see if I can recycle books. I have some that I'm pretty sure even the used book place will not give me credits for...or, (cookbooks, gardening books, etc.) I could take them to Ted's next time I'm in..... There is a huge tree stump, that was created about 3 years ago when the tree became unsafe, and he sets books and small household items on it, and then watches (on dog walks) to see how long before somebody picks up the item. Things go pretty quickly usually, but he set out 3 sand filled little bags that go with a 'how to juggle' book, and it sat around most of the day!! I think it kinda hurt his feelings that there wasn't more interest!!! DS2 is a fun kid. When he was in school in Savannah somebody broke into his car and stole his tape player....and took the tape out of it, and left it on his car seat. He was miffed at the broken window, and a little more upset over the loss of his radio/tape deck, but he was livid that they didn't want his music!!! Thats my artistic creative kid!!!

Gotta goooooo...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    Another day, another walk, this one was 2.85 miles :) I walked a slightly different path through one of our parks, Saw two fawns running around playing, and the entrance to a Nature Walk I did not realize we had. Another Beautiful Morning outside, Dew Point in the 50s and cool. When I came home I opened up a window in the back bedroom, front bedroom and Living room to air out the house.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
    Hey Roger! Looks like your 'change' is increasing. Wouldn't it be nice if those folks with their spotless car interiors dropped money instead of trash! LOL!!

I've been known to walk down my street and back up the other side of the street to home, dragging a big black trash bag....no, there wasn't that much trash, but I wanted my mission to be OBVIOUS to anyone who happened to see me....little old gray haired lady picking up YOUR damn trash! It worked for awhile, but we have quite a few new folk on the street, so I may have to repeat my 'act' again in a month or two....if I go early nobody will see me! :)

I'm finishing my lunch, and will then get some shoes on, and a different shirt and head for the gym. I've used that organizing app thru 4 sessions today....and have regained some floor space, created a few donations, and some trash.

Now I need to see if I can recycle books. I have some that I'm pretty sure even the used book place will not give me credits for...or, (cookbooks, gardening books, etc.) I could take them to Ted's next time I'm in..... There is a huge tree stump, that was created about 3 years ago when the tree became unsafe, and he sets books and small household items on it, and then watches (on dog walks) to see how long before somebody picks up the item. Things go pretty quickly usually, but he set out 3 sand filled little bags that go with a 'how to juggle' book, and it sat around most of the day!! I think it kinda hurt his feelings that there wasn't more interest!!! DS2 is a fun kid. When he was in school in Savannah somebody broke into his car and stole his tape player....and took the tape out of it, and left it on his car seat. He was miffed at the broken window, and a little more upset over the loss of his radio/tape deck, but he was livid that they didn't want his music!!! Thats my artistic creative kid!!!

Gotta goooooo...

Hi Valerie
    That would be great but Litter slobs never leave anything useful.

That sounds as like a great way to get a message across.

Did You mention an organizing App before?

We used to have a couple of used book places in the area, Both gone now, I think the rents got to be too high or maybe the used book sellers on Amazon. I bought a out of print book my brother wanted on Amazon and the seller turned out to be a Library :)

I know that at our recycle yard You can put books in the bulk paper dumpster.

The best time to put things at the curb for others is when there is a yard (garage) sale on the street.

Sadly the Damage caused by the theft is a bigger cost than the lost goods usually.
    I was listening to a NYC radio station when the announcer recounted what happened to him. He parked the car on the street, Got 1/2 way down the block and realized he had left something on the back seat, turned back to the car and it was already stolen, Just that quick. How long could it have taken to go 1/2 block and back, Plus it had to happen while he was walking away since he would have seen it on when heading back to the car.

There are certain genres of Music You would have to pay me to take :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! Working a five hour middle today, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Got a little grocery shopping to do after working.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    3 PM and I'm about to say GOOD MORNING! (do we have any left coasters?) :)
    Busy morning..then off to lunch with DS1 and the monkeys. O lost a canine tooth last night. She was so relieved, she was afraid that she's lose it at school tomorrow! (ah, the worries of childhood!)...
    Nate was his usual little 9 year old boy self!!! I'm staying with them on Friday...meeting the school bus. Their Mom's half sister is having a party to 'introduce' her new boy friend? Really?? Jack is having to cut short a meeting he needs to be at, etc. I'd personally skip it, but DS1 says they can't as she's still having issues from her Dad dying a year ago. I'd say poor kid, but she's 35 years old....she needs help.
    Anyhow, I'm keeping the monkeys until.....????
    Meanwhile since I was very near Whole Foods, I went there after lunch, and picked up my non-GMO corn, and a box of seitan, and my "I've been to Whole Foods Vegan Chocolate Chocolate chip cookie" Sorta my 'reward' for not spending the entire bank acct. :)
    I think I'll make a Walmart run shortly, its that or a nap. I am in need of my Sobe Water. And afraid if I wait and go tomorrow, there won't be any. May not be any today, but its worth the trip to check it out. And then it WILL be dinner time, and sleep will come soon after!
    So goes my day.
    Oh, lunch was at a Mediterranean place, and I had a really good falafel wrap. It was good! Could only eat half of it, so I think it will be lunch again tomorrow, and dinner tonite will be the seitan stirfry that I cooked last night.
    So, no cooking til..... :)

Ed, hope your shift has gone well....I'd guess a few peeps pump gas for the coming week? Hope your shopping goes as well as mine did today. I made it out of WF for less than $30 bucks!!! Miracles do happen!!

Roger I think I did, but maybe not by name... Its Pomodoro...an organizing app, that among other things lets you work toward your goal or whatever for 25 minutes...5 min break. Then if you do a second 25 minute work spurt you get a 15 minute break, and after 4 works...big break of 90 minutes. etc. It helps me keep on track when I'm doing things like cleaning up clutter, or doing a job I really don't like doing..., etc. I can't remember if this was a free app, or if I paid a buck or so for it. Ok, I looked paid $1.99 for it. Anyhow, its helping me not get sidetracked.
    Another good time at least here, it the night before trash pick up. I set a bar stool out one night, and a guy stopped to pick it up before I even got back to the house, I yelled and said I had another if he'd wait till I could get it! I've left old working TV's out there, and the little's booster seats as they no longer needed them, etc. Just don't know if books would spring feet and walk off though.... one way to find out I guess!!! :)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Meanwhile since I was very near Whole Foods, I went there after lunch, and picked up my non-GMO corn, and a box of seitan, and my "I've been to Whole Foods Vegan Chocolate Chocolate chip cookie" Sorta my 'reward' for not spending the entire bank acct. :)
    I think I'll make a Walmart run shortly, its that or a nap. I am in need of my Sobe Water. And afraid if I wait and go tomorrow, there won't be any. May not be any today, but its worth the trip to check it out. And then it WILL be dinner time, and sleep will come soon after!
    So goes my day.
    Oh, lunch was at a Mediterranean place, and I had a really good falafel wrap. It was good! Could only eat half of it, so I think it will be lunch again tomorrow, and dinner tonite will be the seitan stirfry that I cooked last night.

Ed, hope your shift has gone well....I'd guess a few peeps pump gas for the coming week? Hope your shopping goes as well as mine did today. I made it out of WF for less than $30 bucks!!! Miracles do happen!!

Shift went well enough. I thought it might storm but it blew over.

Groceries...well, for me less than $30 at Whole Wallet...er, Whole Foods, would be a miracle! This was a pretty major grocery run, which I don't often do as I'm at Kroger several times a week and it's easy to buy just a few things at a time, but today was nearly $90! At Kroger! I did get quite a bit of stuff though, so I don't feel like I really overspent. And I got myself a really rare treat. One package of fresh, HOT, spicy, Italian sausage links, which did contribute to my dinner and probably will contribute to breakfast and lunch tomorrow. I cooked the whole package at dinner so the remaining links just need to be warmed up in the microwave. I can't even remember the last time I bought a package of something like that so it is, indeed, a rare treat. I have some lamb chops and ground lamb thawing in the refrigerator to make use of a little later in the week.

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! No work today, but I do have orchid society meeting tonight, so at some point I need to slice up the cheeses and summer sausage for that, and might do some laundry too, but somewhere in the day I foresee a nap with Lilo!

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    I did it again, I walked a slightly different route @ 2.77 miles long, It seems that someone has added a Rooster since I was on the one street :)

Rain tomorrow and most likely no walk as a result of the weather.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
    3 PM and I'm about to say GOOD MORNING! (do we have any left coasters?) :)
    Busy morning..then off to lunch with DS1 and the monkeys. O lost a canine tooth last night. She was so relieved, she was afraid that she's lose it at school tomorrow! (ah, the worries of childhood!)...
    Nate was his usual little 9 year old boy self!!! I'm staying with them on Friday...meeting the school bus. Their Mom's half sister is having a party to 'introduce' her new boy friend? Really?? Jack is having to cut short a meeting he needs to be at, etc. I'd personally skip it, but DS1 says they can't as she's still having issues from her Dad dying a year ago. I'd say poor kid, but she's 35 years old....she needs help.
    Anyhow, I'm keeping the monkeys until.....????
    So goes my day.

Roger I think I did, but maybe not by name... Its Pomodoro...an organizing app, that among other things lets you work toward your goal or whatever for 25 minutes...5 min break. Then if you do a second 25 minute work spurt you get a 15 minute break, and after 4 works...big break of 90 minutes. etc. It helps me keep on track when I'm doing things like cleaning up clutter, or doing a job I really don't like doing..., etc. I can't remember if this was a free app, or if I paid a buck or so for it. Ok, I looked paid $1.99 for it. Anyhow, its helping me not get sidetracked.
    Another good time at least here, it the night before trash pick up. I set a bar stool out one night, and a guy stopped to pick it up before I even got back to the house, I yelled and said I had another if he'd wait till I could get it! I've left old working TV's out there, and the little's booster seats as they no longer needed them, etc. Just don't know if books would spring feet and walk off though.... one way to find out I guess!!! :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I am busy shredding things to get them ready to go to recycle later this week, They are closed on Mondays.
    I have plenty of plain bottled water in the house since the Acme Supermarket had them for $1.99 per 24 pack case. You had to but 6 items in a mix or match from a select list, the Water was the only one I wanted so I bought 6 cases.

Thank You for the Information on the App.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Morning Guys!
    I slept in! Have been up a little while, but not long enough to see the bottom of my coffee cup quite yet! It was wonderful.
    Chatted with my MO brother last night. That was fun. It had been awhile.

Made my run late late afternoon to Walmart, and was shocked by how many people were there....then it hit me.. School starts tomorrow in our county. Ha Ha, dumb on me!! But I got about a dozen of my Sobe Waters, and got out! :)

Need to start some laundry, do about 3 rounds (or more) on the 'Pomo' app, and ST training at the gym. Also a run by the bank sometime this week. That should about do it.

I read an article about Aldi's Supermarket yesterday that made me curious. And there is a brand new one very near me. Supposedly they have a nice, and cheap organic vegetable and fruit area. I don't know that I've ever seen cheap and organic in the same sentence before!!! LOL!?

Somebody got a rooster huh, Roger!! As long as the neighbors don't mind, roosters are good. I just know that the county I live in forbids any chickens, and then some nuts still got roosters. Hens are pretty quiet....but a crowing rooster can be heard for blocks! I really like the fact that you get to vary your route. Keeps it interesting.

Ed, nap with Lilo sounds wonderful! Its really darned easy these days to spend $90 or more in Kroger, Publix, etc. and you're feeding J and sometimes your boarder, so... I hope you do get the Kroger employee discount. That helps!

Ok, gotta get some steam worked up so I can get moving. (think of the old steam engine trains..they'd sit and huff and puff - huff and puff, and slowly, those big wheels would begin to creep, then move and surely as the sun came up that big train with a lot of jerking and clanking of the train cars would begin to move!!! Thats me this morning, listen and you may hear my joints begin to click.... LOL!!!

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Hey, Hey, Hey! Lookit who's up early! (finally)
    Good Tuesday Morning!
    Happy as a lark this morning...I don't know why, but I like it! Yes, I've already had my cup of coffee.
    Also had notification email from Amazon, seems as though I have an audible book credit...so in keeping with my 'mission' of getting the clutter/junk/crap outta my house I saw a book I thought would be interesting, and decided I would listen to it. Good Ole Amazon keeps track for me. Seems I already owned the book on my Kindle app. So, its set up now to listen to, and learn from, as I go about my chore of tidying my space! This Japanese lady suggests 'tidying in one go'...I'm laughing myself crazy...its like Lady you have NO idea...and then she further said, in one go may well take 6 months! OK, that I can work with...you're on lady!!!!

Also saw and chatted for about 5 minutes with my new neighbor Esther, yesterday evening. They are from S. Korea, have been in the US for about 2 years. I explained to her that the flower bed with the yellow daisy's (Black eyed Susans) and the Ivy that is about to overtake my yard, is all hers! Suggested they trim back the ivy when they get time, and to also watch it carefully or the other side of that ivy bed will grow into their air conditioner, and up the side of their house!! (that got her attention) I also noticed in the back of his big SUV was a BBQ grill...so I expect to smell some wonderful Korean BBQ aroma's coming from behind their new privacy fence....mmmmmm! :)

Guess its about time I feed the felines, and get my breakfast together as well. Pretty sure since I got up about 4 a.m, that an afternoon nap will happen today. I need to borrow Lilo!!!! For sure I''m not sleeping with either of the WIld Woods Kitties!!! That would be no nap, and not a picnic either!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Working a 5 hour middle today, which shouldn't be too bad. I do get the regular Kroger discount for using the Kroger card, and the employee discount of 10% off all Kroger brand (and there are several Kroger brands) products. Needless to say, I buy mostly Kroger brand products when I can, unless there is some compelling reason to buy the name brand of the same type product, like maybe a coupon that makes it even cheaper or maybe I just think, for once, that the name brand is actually better...

Sometimes around holidays they'll have a brief, several day period where employees get 20% off on Kroger branded products. So if it's Kroger, and on sale, and you get an additional 20% off, that can be a really good deal!

I do wish there was an Aldi that was convenient to me. I used to shop there often in Memphis. You need to bring your own bags or boxes (or buy theirs for a small fee) and you have to bag/box your own groceries. You also need a quarter to "rent" the shopping cart, but you do get that quarter back when you put the cart back into the rack and lock it back into place. I think this is an excellent idea as it reduces the number of carts out in the lot to pretty much ZERO as the type of people who want to save money at Aldi also are the type that will get that quarter back!

Their produce is sometimes great and sometimes so-so, and there can be long lines at the checkout. Why build a store with 5 checkout counters and never open more than one or two (usually only one)? Beats me. Maybe they are hoping for even greater business at some future point and the cashflow to hire more people.

Most of the products are NOT name brand but are some Aldi brand. Clancy's (really Aldi) for the chip type snacks, Happy Farms or something like that for the dairy. L'Oven Fresh for the bread and baked goods. I forget what all. At a glance you'll just think they are "off" brands that you never heard of but when you read the fine print, 99% of the stuff they sell is manufactured by (and distributed by) Aldi, though they do make up clever "brand" names that often sound somewhat similar to the real name brands. There is usually only one size of a product, and only the one (Aldi) brand so you don't have to waste time deciding which brand or size to buy. They've already researched that and only produce/stock the one most popular size.

And once in a while they must get a great deal on a name brand because they might have REAL Oreo cookies or some such for a brief time in the store.

Staples tend to be always available there but I found that "specialty" items would come and go. I'd find some really great frozen dish or food that I loved and buy a few and then after a couple of weeks (or sometimes days) it would disappear and never be seen again. So if it's not a staple and you never saw it before, don't fall in love with it because it might not be back. And buy as much as you think you'll want on that trip before it disappears!

I found that most all the Aldi branded products were quite acceptable to me, but sometimes walked in and saw the line and just said "forget it' and went on home or to Kroger...

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Hey Ed..
    Thanks for the primer on ALDI!! I'll know to take my own bags, (which I pretty much do everywhere. WF gives me dime for each of my own bags they use...Publix not so.) and I'll lend them a quarter for a basket. When I lived in MA (nearly 50 years ago) there was a market that did that. I have no idea which one it was. I do know I shopped at the 'Big Bunny Supermarket'...honest, not making that up. It was the smaller, closer to home, Italian supermarket chain that gave out the horse racing cards for Saturday Mornings horse races! That was fun. (they also had the best Italian Subs in town...and they knew me well, and usually had what I ate waiting for Jack and I by the time I got him into the cart and made my way to the deli!)
    I look at 'off brands/store brands' as try them...at least once. Most of the brands in T Joes are mfg FOR TJ, not BY TJ...so the mfg may run a line of DelMonte green beans and then simply change labels and run XYZ brand.
    I'm mostly interested in the fresh veg and fruits. Since I don't do dairy, eggs, and almost no 'boxed' foods there really isn't much more I shop for anyhow! TJ for their med roast half caf coffee, etc.

While you all were waking, and feeding cats, and walking....I had my nap!! Yep, already. And I've eaten lunch with the noon news, so its off to Po..doro, and listen to my audio tape for the afternoon.

I put the cat food out too early this morning....it was quite light outside when a pair of Juv. raccoon brats showed up. They've not been here before, cuz they weren't sure they should run, or how quickly they needed to scramble. I didn't smack em with the broom, but I certainly could have! Needless to say the food dish came back in for about half an hour, til they were hidden away in their 'dens', and sleeping soundly! ARGGGGG!!!

Oh and about Kroger and the emp. discount. Get to know a couple of the checkers, names, say hello, etc. Some of those folks are a little 'generous' when it comes to discounts, and they scanned but returned coupons to employees....so they could be used repeatedly til expiration dates. That was at the store I worked at, and may not apply to your store. The store I worked at was 'weird' anyhow. If the Starbucks staff wanted some perk that the store employes had we'd be told it was for store employees only, and we were 'fuel employee's'..it was all a crock of shitakee... That store manager is long gone, but he was crooked as a KY road in the mountains... :)

Ok, I hear my 'project' calling!!

later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    No Walk this morning, Rainy Morning. So I did banking, Recycling and replaced a failed Shredder.

Have a Great Day
    Roger
    Good Morning Guys!
    I slept in! Have been up a little while, but not long enough to see the bottom of my coffee cup quite yet! It was wonderful.
    Chatted with my MO brother last night. That was fun. It had been awhile.

Made my run late late afternoon to Walmart, and was shocked by how many people were there....then it hit me.. School starts tomorrow in our county. Ha Ha, dumb on me!! But I got about a dozen of my Sobe Waters, and got out! :)

Need to start some laundry, do about 3 rounds (or more) on the 'Pomo' app, and ST training at the gym. Also a run by the bank sometime this week. That should about do it.

I read an article about Aldi's Supermarket yesterday that made me curious. And there is a brand new one very near me. Supposedly they have a nice, and cheap organic vegetable and fruit area. I don't know that I've ever seen cheap and organic in the same sentence before!!! LOL!?

Somebody got a rooster huh, Roger!! As long as the neighbors don't mind, roosters are good. I just know that the county I live in forbids any chickens, and then some nuts still got roosters. Hens are pretty quiet....but a crowing rooster can be heard for blocks! I really like the fact that you get to vary your route. Keeps it interesting.

Ed, nap with Lilo sounds wonderful! Its really darned easy these days to spend $90 or more in Kroger, Publix, etc. and you're feeding J and sometimes your boarder, so... I hope you do get the Kroger employee discount. That helps!

Ok, gotta get some steam worked up so I can get moving. (think of the old steam engine trains..they'd sit and huff and puff - huff and puff, and slowly, those big wheels would begin to creep, then move and surely as the sun came up that big train with a lot of jerking and clanking of the train cars would begin to move!!! Thats me this morning, listen and you may hear my joints begin to click.... LOL!!!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    This is the time of year to buy things for the home that could also be school supplies as they are on sale. When I was at Staples buying a replacement Shredder I also grabbed a College Ruled 70 page notebook for a quarter, normally $1. I Use things like that to log weight, distance walked etc.

Cheers
    Roger
    Hey, Hey, Hey! Lookit who's up early! (finally)
    Good Tuesday Morning!
    Happy as a lark this morning...I don't know why, but I like it! Yes, I've already had my cup of coffee.
    Also had notification email from Amazon, seems as though I have an audible book credit...so in keeping with my 'mission' of getting the clutter/junk/crap outta my house I saw a book I thought would be interesting, and decided I would listen to it. Good Ole Amazon keeps track for me. Seems I already owned the book on my Kindle app. So, its set up now to listen to, and learn from, as I go about my chore of tidying my space! This Japanese lady suggests 'tidying in one go'...I'm laughing myself crazy...its like Lady you have NO idea...and then she further said, in one go may well take 6 months! OK, that I can work with...you're on lady!!!!

Also saw and chatted for about 5 minutes with my new neighbor Esther, yesterday evening. They are from S. Korea, have been in the US for about 2 years. I explained to her that the flower bed with the yellow daisy's (Black eyed Susans) and the Ivy that is about to overtake my yard, is all hers! Suggested they trim back the ivy when they get time, and to also watch it carefully or the other side of that ivy bed will grow into their air conditioner, and up the side of their house!! (that got her attention) I also noticed in the back of his big SUV was a BBQ grill...so I expect to smell some wonderful Korean BBQ aroma's coming from behind their new privacy fence....mmmmmm! :)

Guess its about time I feed the felines, and get my breakfast together as well. Pretty sure since I got up about 4 a.m, that an afternoon nap will happen today. I need to borrow Lilo!!!! For sure I''m not sleeping with either of the WIld Woods Kitties!!! That would be no nap, and not a picnic either!

Later...

Hi Again
    I know exactly what You mean with the Ivy, We were overgrown with it all over the shed out back, What A chore removing it. It came from one of three neighbors, Not sure which one.

Cheers Again
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Working a 5 hour middle today, which shouldn't be too bad. I do get the regular Kroger discount for using the Kroger card, and the employee discount of 10% off all Kroger brand (and there are several Kroger brands) products. Needless to say, I buy mostly Kroger brand products when I can, unless there is some compelling reason to buy the name brand of the same type product, like maybe a coupon that makes it even cheaper or maybe I just think, for once, that the name brand is actually better...

Sometimes around holidays they'll have a brief, several day period where employees get 20% off on Kroger branded products. So if it's Kroger, and on sale, and you get an additional 20% off, that can be a really good deal!

I do wish there was an Aldi that was convenient to me. I used to shop there often in Memphis. You need to bring your own bags or boxes (or buy theirs for a small fee) and you have to bag/box your own groceries. You also need a quarter to "rent" the shopping cart, but you do get that quarter back when you put the cart back into the rack and lock it back into place. I think this is an excellent idea as it reduces the number of carts out in the lot to pretty much ZERO as the type of people who want to save money at Aldi also are the type that will get that quarter back!

Their produce is sometimes great and sometimes so-so, and there can be long lines at the checkout. Why build a store with 5 checkout counters and never open more than one or two (usually only one)? Beats me. Maybe they are hoping for even greater business at some future point and the cashflow to hire more people.

Most of the products are NOT name brand but are some Aldi brand. Clancy's (really Aldi) for the chip type snacks, Happy Farms or something like that for the dairy. L'Oven Fresh for the bread and baked goods. I forget what all. At a glance you'll just think they are "off" brands that you never heard of but when you read the fine print, 99% of the stuff they sell is manufactured by (and distributed by) Aldi, though they do make up clever "brand" names that often sound somewhat similar to the real name brands. There is usually only one size of a product, and only the one (Aldi) brand so you don't have to waste time deciding which brand or size to buy. They've already researched that and only produce/stock the one most popular size.

And once in a while they must get a great deal on a name brand because they might have REAL Oreo cookies or some such for a brief time in the store.

Staples tend to be always available there but I found that "specialty" items would come and go. I'd find some really great frozen dish or food that I loved and buy a few and then after a couple of weeks (or sometimes days) it would disappear and never be seen again. So if it's not a staple and you never saw it before, don't fall in love with it because it might not be back. And buy as much as you think you'll want on that trip before it disappears!

I found that most all the Aldi branded products were quite acceptable to me, but sometimes walked in and saw the line and just said "forget it' and went on home or to Kroger...

Hi Ed
    We have been getting Aldi circulars in the mail weekly for a while. I was not super impressed by the sale prices to be honest. I buy brand name Paper goods at Costco. I find that I like Kleenex better than the cheaper brands. The Charmin Toilet paper they sell is still the old regular width. Most of what I see in the stores has gotten narrower. I also buy my paper Towels there since I am already there buying in bulk.

It has been my experience that some Brand name items are better or more consistent, Other things not so much.

We had a A&P tried the 25Cents to release the shopping carts. I watched some people walk up look for a quarter, not find one and leave. They ended up removing the devices.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Wednesday Morning!
    Two days early in a row!! WOW!
    Late lunch today with M., a quick trip to the grocery, and a couple rounds of Po...doro and my day will be done!

Cool here this morning. Supposed to be 69 for the low, still at 72 at my back porch, so I think that may be a very quick 69 at best
    Coffee cup about empty, so need to get going.
    Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Working a semi-long middle today. Not much else on the agenda.