Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    I was out walking today another 2.85 Miles and 19 cents :) Humidity and Temperatures are up today and going higher as the week progresses, If You want to consider getting more humid and warmer progress :)
    I have finished Breakfast and am working on my water.

I lucked out getting my McDs coffee. They locked up after me due to computer problems. I suspect I got mine as I keep exact change on hand for the coffee. $1.07

Walking back home I saw a Blue Egret fishing in the brook, I do not know if it is the same one I have seen in a different brook or the same one moved to a different location.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
    The 70's...wow! there could be 'treasure' in that 'stuff'...
    I've moved about 4 times since 1970, so I don't think my good junk goes back quite that far...with an exception here and there.
    It does take awhile...many things have personal meaning, and some are just hard to part with clutter status or not! I have a L.O.N.G way to go...but, it will get done! Heartening to know that it has taken others a fair amount of time also! I was hoping for about 6 months...but beginning to think that's maybe a bit ''short'...

Ok, off to get some sleep, and see if Ted has beaten me AGAIN at Scrabble! I have the worst luck....I had a wonderful bingo...and NO place to play it. I probably frowned in my sleep that night! Oh, well...keeps the brain from molding! :)

See you in the morning...have a good walk!

Hi Valerie
    No treasures there so far. More like old VHS, Bills etc. That room evolved into a catchall. There was even a old MFM hard drive, and a 80286 motherboard. Those are still there as I am not sure about getting rid of them.

Good Luck with Your cleaning
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Working a long close tonight, and it's supposed to be stormy but maybe that will cut into business.

Meanwhile, for your Monday enlightenment, here's a piece I wrote for Facebook this morning:

Why do I NOT GET UPSET when I read articles with scary headlines like

"500 Other Foods Besides Subway Sandwich Bread Containing Yoga Mat Chemical

Your grocery store shelves are crawling with them."

Because it's usually (not always, but USUALLY) someone getting upset (or just trying to create news where there isn't any) about something that's NOT A PROBLEM AND NEVER WAS. Many ingredients in food also have non-food uses. Vinegar and baking soda are used for cleaning. Just because an ingredient has a non-food use does not mean that the ingredient is dangerous if found in food. So the "yoga mat chemical" that is found in food? Meh...

Case in point. I could write a VERY SCARY article about ... let's say... a chemical commonly found in many de-icing products and also used in many industrial processes and even in exfoliants and shampoo. SODIUM CHLORIDE.

COMMON CHEMICAL DE-ICER FOUND IN FOOD!

Did you know that SODIUM CHLORIDE is in the large majority of the foods and drinks you consume?

Yes, a chemical that is made from caustic SODIUM and CHLORINE (yes, the same chlorine found in BLEACH) is in almost all the foods that you eat and most of the beverages you drink.

This same chemical compound is used in many de-icing products, many industrial processes, such as making tires and drilling for oil, and is also found in shampoos, exfoliants and many other non-food items!

Whatever you had for lunch, it's very likely that you ingested some sodium chloride! Sodium! Chlorine! And you ate and/or drank it!

Sodium chloride has long been know to cause water retention and has been implicated in high blood pressure in humans, though studies on the latter are still being conducted.

The food industry is very clever in hiding this potentially lethal ingredient in the products you buy and consume. They will often list this as something that sounds innocuous, like salt, but it's really sodium chloride, and is often found in staggering amounts in the foods you eat!

Write your congressman TODAY and demand more regulation on sodium chloride in food! Why hasn't the FDA done something about this?

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some only once...

Hi Ed
    I like the Sodium Chloride item You posted, Have You seen this one?
    From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax
    The dihydrogen monoxide hoax involves calling water by the unfamiliar chemical name "dihydrogen monoxide" (DHMO), and listing some of water's effects in an alarming manner, such as the fact that it accelerates corrosion and can cause severe burns. The hoax often calls for dihydrogen monoxide to be regulated, labeled as hazardous, or banned. It illustrates how the lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears.[1]

The hoax gained renewed popularity in the late 1990s when a 14-year-old student collected anti-DHMO petitions for a science project about gullibility.[2] The story has since been used in science education to encourage critical thinking, and avoid the appeal to nature.

History

A 1983 April Fools' Day edition of the Durand Express, a weekly newspaper in Durand, Michigan, reported that "dihydrogen oxide" had been found in the city's water pipes, and warned that it was fatal if inhaled, and could produce blistering vapors.[3] The first appearance of the hoax on the internet was attributed by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette to the so-called "Coalition to Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide",[4][5] a parody organization started by UC Santa Cruz student Craig Jackson following the on-campus postings and initial newsgroup discussions.

This new version of the hoax was created by Eric Lechner, Lars Norpchen, and Matthew Kaufman—housemates while attending the University of California, Santa Cruz in 1989,[6] revised by Jackson in 1994,[4] and brought to widespread public attention in 1997 when Nathan Zohner, a 14-year-old student, gathered petitions to ban "DHMO" as the basis of his science project, titled "How Gullible Are We?"[2]

Jackson's original site included the following warning:[7]

Dihydrogen monoxide:[8]

is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
    contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
    may cause severe burns.
    contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    in nuclear power plants.
    in the production of styrofoam.
    as a fire retardant.
    in many forms of cruel animal research.
    in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
    as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

A mock material safety data sheet—a list of information about potentially dangerous materials used in research and industry—has also been created for H2O.[9][10]

Pretty Funny stuff and it can still scare some people :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,711 Member
    Options
    I wonder how long it will take for my SODIUM CHLORIDE scare to go viral?
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I'm curious...will have to go looking for your NaCl post!
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Off to Memphis today for a board meeting tomorrow. While there I hope to get my remaining accounts in Memphis changed to my new name. But first, of course, need to get packed.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Safe trip Ed...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Morning,
    Have been all over the internet this day. Found recipe for ED, and a new cuisine for me to try. Really good reviews on an Ethiopian restaurant that is about 20 -25 minutes from here...in ATL It all started with a recipe for red lentils.....
    Has rained here twice this morning. Cats are on the back porch....Tom E sitting on one of the cat ledges, switching his tail like he's about to unleash the 'big cat' in him. Wonder what's set him off?

Roger hope you had a good morning walk, and that it 'enriched' your pocket!

Just finished the cantaloupe I got from Aldi...it was sweet, juicy and really good. I also used the cheap mandolin that I bought there. I love it! It stores its own blades, so no little pile of different blades taking up my cabinet space. The dasher, or whatever you call it...is really well designed, and I'll keep it long after I've worn out the blades, etc. It actually securely holds vegetables, etc. :)

Ok, I need to get something going...going to watch O at her gymnastics class this evening.

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi all
    Walked today despite the Higher temperatures and Humidity, 2.8 miles approx, & 1Cent. I was out the door at 5:1, The rain had stopped,it was fairly cool and everything was wet with puddles here and there, By the time I got home the streets were drying and the humidity was at a uncomfortable level.

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
    I wonder how long it will take for my SODIUM CHLORIDE scare to go viral?

Hi Ed
    Give where You posted it, it may well end up in the Evening News on a TV or radio station :)

Cheers
    Roger
    Good Morning,
    Have been all over the internet this day. Found recipe for ED, and a new cuisine for me to try. Really good reviews on an Ethiopian restaurant that is about 20 -25 minutes from here...in ATL It all started with a recipe for red lentils.....
    Has rained here twice this morning. Cats are on the back porch....Tom E sitting on one of the cat ledges, switching his tail like he's about to unleash the 'big cat' in him. Wonder what's set him off?

Roger hope you had a good morning walk, and that it 'enriched' your pocket!

Just finished the cantaloupe I got from Aldi...it was sweet, juicy and really good. I also used the cheap mandolin that I bought there. I love it! It stores its own blades, so no little pile of different blades taking up my cabinet space. The dasher, or whatever you call it...is really well designed, and I'll keep it long after I've worn out the blades, etc. It actually securely holds vegetables, etc. :)

Ok, I need to get something going...going to watch O at her gymnastics class this evening.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Another day, another penny! I'm striking it rich out there, why didn't anybody tell me I did not need to work when I could just get rich looking for money on the ground? :)

I just washed a Big load of colored clothes, Guess which big dummy forgot to wash Yesterdays Bath Towel?
    I also seem to have washed 2 Cents too.

Nice that You found a good inexpensive mandolin, We say inexpensive in this house, not cheap!

Enjoy the Gymnastics Class
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. I'm in Memphis, at a Motel 6, with the AC set to REFRIGERATE. Had a steak dinner at Shoney's. Board meeting (and hopefully getting accounts set to new name) tomorrow. All I brought with me is my new drivers license so I hope that's enough to get the names reset...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. I can't believe I'm not seeing anyone else posting yet. It's wonderful Wednesday! About to shower and head off to the bank to see if I can get things changed with just a drivers license, since I forgot my packet with the marriage certificate and all that.

Then, lunch with an old friend and ex-employee. I begged her not to retire on me but she did anyway. A couple of years later, I followed. :)

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Here I am Ed! finally....
    And quickly..running late. Sleeping in tends to do that.
    Need to make a couple grocery runs, hopefully fit in some gym time, and more working on my clutter project. Wednesday is DS1 phone time. (even though I saw him last night at O's gymnastics session) And O is really getting good on the parallel bars! One move seems to scare her, even with her coach right beside her, flipping from high bar to the lower one elicits a 'squeak' that can be heard thru out the gym!!!

Ed, hope you can get your stuff changed over at the bank....
    and Safe Trip Home, ya hear??? :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    Wow was it warm and humid today when I walked, 2.75 miles despite that. Then some down time and a run to Home Depot & Costco and a sporting goods store on the way home, then on to McDonald's for Decaf Coffee for Myself & regular for my brother. Home Depot stop not successful. Costco I got two 5 pound bags of frozen vegetables, Some Light & Fit Greek Yogurt, a Bath Towel and replacement slippers. Then So I can stop at a local supermarket on my walks I picked up a inexpensive Backpack $10. The Frozen & Yogurt was sitting on the bath towel in a large box in the trunk & covered with a Knit Blanket and stayed frozen nicely.

Have Nice Day
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. I'm in Memphis, at a Motel 6, with the AC set to REFRIGERATE. Had a steak dinner at Shoney's. Board meeting (and hopefully getting accounts set to new name) tomorrow. All I brought with me is my new drivers license so I hope that's enough to get the names reset...

Hi Ed
    The news had a Motel 6 that blew up from a gas leak that they are showing footage of. I wish I could remember where it was :)

I remember Shoney's food fondly from when I was traveling on vacations heading south. There are none near me, it looks like the closest is south of Washington DC and that is a ways from NJ.

Good Luck with the name change
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. I can't believe I'm not seeing anyone else posting yet. It's wonderful Wednesday! About to shower and head off to the bank to see if I can get things changed with just a drivers license, since I forgot my packet with the marriage certificate and all that.

Then, lunch with an old friend and ex-employee. I begged her not to retire on me but she did anyway. A couple of years later, I followed. :)

Hi Again
    There is a reason I was not on earlier. I was worn out from walking in the heat and then a while later the other 3, 4 counting McDs for coffee and rested.

Cheers
    Roger
    Here I am Ed! finally....
    And quickly..running late. Sleeping in tends to do that.
    Need to make a couple grocery runs, hopefully fit in some gym time, and more working on my clutter project. Wednesday is DS1 phone time. (even though I saw him last night at O's gymnastics session) And O is really getting good on the parallel bars! One move seems to scare her, even with her coach right beside her, flipping from high bar to the lower one elicits a 'squeak' that can be heard thru out the gym!!!

Ed, hope you can get your stuff changed over at the bank....
    and Safe Trip Home, ya hear??? :)

Later...

Hi Kat
    You can see how my day went. Now with my less than expensive backpack I can do light shopping during my walks as I can always route myself past the PathMark Supermarket. According to the Store closing list on the internet is staying open.

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    All my name change stuff here in Memphis seems to have gone smoothly. Time will tell...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Morning from the sultry south...
    73 degrees, 86 humidity!! Another hour or so, and we'll all be living in a sauna! :) But its almost end of August, so I think this is par for the course... About 3-4 more weeks and our night time temps will get back into the 60's and most or our days will be below 90.

Ed, glad things went well in Memphis. And that your trip was uneventful.

I'm just getting up, have fed cats, and there's a mug of coffee here for me. I hope to stay home today and do laundry and work on my 'project'. I think I've eaten all the leftovers, so I'll be cooking as well..

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    I was out walking and it was warm and humid today when I walked, 2.75 miles despite that. Picked one whole Cent while walking, Whee :)

I saw a Wild Turkey yesterday, 3 Deer today and one dead skunk in the road, Fortunately the wind was blowing away from me. Skunks are fearless due to their defense IMO and that gets them killed on the road. We have had them in the front yard in the past and I have smelled them wandering down the driveway now and then too.

Nearby towns got pummeled with rain yesterday. Major Flooding, Streets and a major highway closed and damaged. Despite being close all we heard was some thunder and no rain. :)

Not to much planned to happen today.
    Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
    Good Morning from the sultry south...
    73 degrees, 86 humidity!! Another hour or so, and we'll all be living in a sauna! :) But its almost end of August, so I think this is par for the course... About 3-4 more weeks and our night time temps will get back into the 60's and most or our days will be below 90.

Ed, glad things went well in Memphis. And that your trip was uneventful.

I'm just getting up, have fed cats, and there's a mug of coffee here for me. I hope to stay home today and do laundry and work on my 'project'. I think I've eaten all the leftovers, so I'll be cooking as well..

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I believe it was 77 degrees and 77% Humidity when I went walking this morning and that was miserable enough, forget 86%!

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. Back in Peachtree Corners now. I got back about 3:30 this afternoon and immediately had some quality nap time with Lilo, who was very glad to see me.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    My bad Ed...I thought you were back last night. Glad you had a good trip back...and you got in just before the 'ahem'...15% chance of rain pelted down on us!!! I guess I'd better get the trash to the street before it fires up again. ¾ inch in the last 24 hours in my yard.
    See you in the morning!
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. it's fabulous Friday! Working a long middle today in the rain and storms. Wheee!

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hello All
    We had rain overnight, it was finished when I got up and looked out the Living Room window and the street was starting to dry. 77 degrees and high humidity however. Spread out over 6 different locations I picked up $4.15 today, Best Day for money since I started walking :) 2.8 miles done today. $4 of that was two $1 bills in two locations, They were wet and thus stayed where they must have fallen despite the Cars, Buses & Trucks driving by where they were and causing a cooling breeze.

A nice cooling breeze came up during the walk, Sadly not until 4 blocks from the house :(

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
    My bad Ed...I thought you were back last night. Glad you had a good trip back...and you got in just before the 'ahem'...15% chance of rain pelted down on us!!! I guess I'd better get the trash to the street before it fires up again. ¾ inch in the last 24 hours in my yard.
    See you in the morning!

Hi Valerie
    Maybe You got a spot rain? They got pelted bigtime close to me this week, I saw none.

On the good side no watering will be needed :)
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Hey Guys!
    Ed answered my questions....stormy afternoon predicted? Oh why not? Soon we'll be so wet we'll have to go out and dry plant roots with a towel....does that thought not make you grin?? I'd sure need a big stack of towels!!

Roger.....$4.15, wowzza! Makes up for all the 1 cent days doesn't it? I'd say maybe kids dropping lunch money, but its not done that way anymore. At least not here. Parents 'fund' their kids lunches online.... that I learned last spring when I did lunch with Grammie Day.

General physical late this afternoon. Will be interesting to see my labs. Tune in Saturday!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Need to make something for a pool party this afternoon. I've assembled ingredients for a mac and cheese and chili beans with added bell peppers, jalapeño, onion and black peppers, so that there will be for sure ONE thing that J can eat. As usual the hosts are providing angus burgers/cheeseburgers and "kosher" hot dogs cooked on the same grill. I eat them, not because they're kosher, since after that preparation they're NOT kosher anymore, but rather I eat them because Hebrew National hog dogs are the best! I've been known to unkosher them myself by steaming them and then making them into chili cheese dogs. At the party, I'll be on the lookout for an almost burned, blackened dog. :)

Then some suitable sides. Maybe a spoonful of baked beans if anyone brings that, three bean salad if it's available (not one of my all time favorites, but a good, healthy selection and I do like it on occasion), oh, no bun(s) with the burger and/or hot dog...so maybe just a bite of potato salad or dessert. Parties can be survived, with a little willpower or, perhaps, won't-power.