Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    hello!
    Got to M's about 9;30...still more paper to shred...did that, watched the loading crew do their thing...
    Did some stuff donwstairs,..tried to keep out of the way, :)
    Long day short...arrived, shredded, tried to stay out of the way of the guy who'd been doing the job of packing...first he told M the wrong truck sizes she would need...so the smaller truck had to be returned for a larger one...Then still everything wouldn't fit. They'll have their cars packed as well. The will also be leaving some things behind...
    All in all it could have been worse...so glad it wasn't...oh, and we had rain varying from light to toad strangler...
    Anyhow, after being there for 10 hours I headed home... I'm beat!!!

Tomorrow, I will take out my trash to the street, and not much more....Will try to get to the gym....

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    That does not sound like a great moving company TBH.

Our rain was off an on and never approached what was forecast for where I am.

Hopefully today is better for You
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,220 Member
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 71 with an expected high of 93 and 90% chance of precipitation. Since it's raining now I'll amend that to 100% for my house.

Van had to go back to the shop for a rattling bearing in the alternator, which may well have been contributing to the blinking and chirping. The alternator has been replaced now and we'll see if any symptoms at all come back. The engine is a LOT quieter now. I wasn't even sure it was running at first since I didn't hear all the engine noise I was used to.

Need to get yesterday's cat bowls cleaned up and get some ground beef cooked in some form or fashion. I do still have some of yesterday's pinto beans with country ham and onion left to eat too. J finished off his plain navy beans last night. He doesn't particularly care for leftovers, and or course he's not about to eat any of my pinto beans with country ham. The 5 ounces of country ham chips, with spices and pepper, NO ADDITIONAL SALT needed, cooked up quite nicely and wasn't at all too salty. Of course the country ham chips had plenty of salt for the pot of beans and the final dish turned out quite tasty. I'm sure the leftovers will warm up nicely too.

I'll probably make something from the ground beef for lunch (maybe chili?) and have more of the beans and ham for dinner tonight. Then I'll have leftover beans and ham AND leftover chili to choose from! Yum! Assuming, of course, that I make chili. Eduardo may end up having other ideas on that by lunch time.

I probably need to try to slip out to Ingles or Publix at some point for fruit (for the sugar gliders anyway) and a few other items that I forgot to put on my list before I went out yesterday.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    edited August 2018
    Never tried it with pickle, but peanut butter, bacon, mayo and onion is delicious! Emmy's depression era recipe calls for pickle instead of bacon. I guess, being depression era, that this makes sense. I'm sure pickles were a lot cheaper than bacon. And then it's vegetarian (though not vegan) too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSim0CKzWBo
  • parityanimal
    I'm really starting to wonder about the state of education.

I went to Ingles today to buy groceries. The man who rang me up told me my total was $82.92, which, of course, agreed with the amount shown on the display.

I carefully counted out $83.00 from my wallet and handed it to him.

He counted it, looked at the register, looked at me and repeated that it was $82.92, and appeared to be waiting for me to produce more money. I pointed at the money in his hand and told him I had just given him $83.00 and he looked confused for a second, then counted the money again, twice.

Still looking confused, he finally entered $83.00 as the "amount tendered" and seemed surprised that the register was telling him to give me $.08 back in change.

I honestly think he couldn't grasp that $83.00 is more than $82.92. He didn't look all that young and presumably was supposed to know how to count and work with money but you couldn't prove it by me!

At least I finally got out of there with my groceries.

• RogerToo
    tj8i8Q.jpg

7KsARD.jpg

F7m192.jpg

Ppg6p5.jpg

XU5icY.jpg

GR426m.jpg

1G1CqS.jpg

X7Z2cx.gif

HbULx9.jpg
  • RogerToo
    edited August 2018
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and once again no cents. The Temperature out the door was 75 degrees and very uncomfortable walking due to humidity.

Today is a B day, B Day means we are meeting friends at the Chinese Buffet and not the other meaning :) Wish me luck.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/07/31/dog-lick-blood-infection-amputate/
    Dog’s Lick Causes Blood Infection, Man Has Limbs Amputated

https://www.studyfinds.org/minnesota-happiest-state-america-louisiana-least-happy/
    Minnesota Is America’s Happiest State; Louisiana Its Least, Study Finds

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/pedestrian-charged-after-being-hit-tractor-trailer/FuDT0ZSCeH6YmginQViV8N/?icmp=np_inform_variation-control
    Pedestrian to be charged after being hit by tractor-trailer

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/07/30/heart-attack-victim-waited-43-minutes-for-hospital/
    Heart Attack Victim Waited 43 Minutes To Get To The Hospital; ‘That’s Absolutely Awful’

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/08/01/pup-mourns-guinea-pig-friend/
    ‘Broke My Heart’: Pup Mourns The Death Of Guinea Pig Best Friend

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/08/01/kroger-grocery-ban-visa-credit-cards/
    Kroger Grocery Stores Ban Use Of Visa Cards At Some Locations

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/08/01/masked-men-steal-from-diabetic-kids/
    Masked Intruders Use Sledgehammer, Steal $15K From Children’s Charity
    The charity raises money for juvenile diabetes and is named for a Collin County boy who suffers from it.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/australia-coles-supermarket-plastic-bag-levy-sparks-outrage-10579968
    'Bag rage' prompts backdown on plastic bag levy in Australia

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/education/article215848065.html
    Hundreds of NC teachers are flunking math exams. It may not be their fault.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/07/30/millennial-interest-drives-wave-new-rvs/796785002/
    As millennials embrace RVs, next wave of travel trailers go hip

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited August 2018
    Hi Valerie
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 71 with an expected high of 93 and 90% chance of precipitation. Since it's raining now I'll amend that to 100% for my house.

Van had to go back to the shop for a rattling bearing in the alternator, which may well have been contributing to the blinking and chirping. The alternator has been replaced now and we'll see if any symptoms at all come back. The engine is a LOT quieter now. I wasn't even sure it was running at first since I didn't hear all the engine noise I was used to.

Need to get yesterday's cat bowls cleaned up and get some ground beef cooked in some form or fashion. I do still have some of yesterday's pinto beans with country ham and onion left to eat too. J finished off his plain navy beans last night. He doesn't particularly care for leftovers, and or course he's not about to eat any of my pinto beans with country ham. The 5 ounces of country ham chips, with spices and pepper, NO ADDITIONAL SALT needed, cooked up quite nicely and wasn't at all too salty. Of course the country ham chips had plenty of salt for the pot of beans and the final dish turned out quite tasty. I'm sure the leftovers will warm up nicely too.

I'll probably make something from the ground beef for lunch (maybe chili?) and have more of the beans and ham for dinner tonight. Then I'll have leftover beans and ham AND leftover chili to choose from! Yum! Assuming, of course, that I make chili. Eduardo may end up having other ideas on that by lunch time.

I probably need to try to slip out to Ingles or Publix at some point for fruit (for the sugar gliders anyway) and a few other items that I forgot to put on my list before I went out yesterday.
    Hi Ed
    Good Luck with the alternator. I had to do that with my old Pontiac too. The bearing had been bad too long to allow a easy rebuild. I was lucky that I found a local business that did on the spot rebuilds.

I am curious, did You buy a ready to eat version or the country ham or the dried type ?
    I'm guessing the dried type since You mention Country Ham Chips :smiley:

Hmm... Chili, Meatloaf, cooked loose or as a Hamburger with the Ground Beef.
    Never tried it with pickle, but peanut butter, bacon, mayo and onion is delicious! Emmy's depression era recipe calls for pickle instead of bacon. I guess, being depression era, that this makes sense. I'm sure pickles were a lot cheaper than bacon. And then it's vegetarian (though not vegan) too!
    In my case a peanut butter sandwich should be Peanut Butter on Buttered bread or with the addition of banana slices. I have never tried it with bacon, Mayo or Onions.
    I'm really starting to wonder about the state of education.

I went to Ingles today to buy groceries. The man who rang me up told me my total was $82.92, which, of course, agreed with the amount shown on the display.

I carefully counted out $83.00 from my wallet and handed it to him.

He counted it, looked at the register, looked at me and repeated that it was $82.92, and appeared to be waiting for me to produce more money. I pointed at the money in his hand and told him I had just given him $83.00 and he looked confused for a second, then counted the money again, twice.

Still looking confused, he finally entered $83.00 as the "amount tendered" and seemed surprised that the register was telling him to give me $.08 back in change.

I honestly think he couldn't grasp that $83.00 is more than $82.92. He didn't look all that young and presumably was supposed to know how to count and work with money but you couldn't prove it by me!

At least I finally got out of there with my groceries.
    Sadly I am not surprised, I have had cashiers that did not know what a $2 bill or a one dollar coin was. They ended up calling over a supervisor to see what to do. I wonder if that poor soul You dealt with is a product of the New Math ?
    I have seen people that can not make change unless the register tells them what it is. So no I am not surprised at all.
    It is also why I carry exact change to pay for the coffee when I pick it up while walking.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited August 2018
    Howdy all y'all. It's fantastic Friday! 70 with an expected high of 83 and 30% chance of precipitation. Looks like, as the rain leaves, the higher temperatures are returning. Oh well, it was nice to have a few cooler days.

Need to clean up yesterday's cat bowls and put that folded laundry away (hah!) and perhaps get out to the grocery store.
    RogerToo wrote: »

I am curious, did You buy a ready to eat version or the country ham or the dried type ?

Dinner last night was a bowl of my ham and beans, with a small slice of cornbread. The ham "chips" were not dried, though that would probably have worked out too. They were just small bits and, probably, end pieces from the country ham. I have eaten these just warmed up with breakfast before, but they are really small bits and pieces, some pieces with quite a bit of very chewy fat still attached. They are best used for seasoning, and can then be eaten with the beans. The price of $1.00 for 5 ounces pretty well matched the best deal I've seen at Dollar Tree (3 ounces of biscuit slices OR 5 ounces of "less pretty" slices that are really about the same as the "chips" but perhaps somewhat larger slices) so I had purchased a couple of packs on that (weeks ago) shopping trip when I saw them at Ingles. They keep in the cabinet for a long time and are handy (and work out really well) for a pot of beans when I don't have a ham hock or ham bone on hand. I just have to remember that there is PLENTY of salt in the country ham and I don't even need to think about adding any salt (or anything else salty) to the dish. I could also use them for bits of breakfast country ham but, once opened, they need to be refrigerated and then used up fairly quickly. I don't really tend to use ham to season a lot of foods, being married to a vegetarian, and suppose I probably should be turning in my SOUTHERN card because of that, especially since I don't put any meat at all in my baked beans. LOL.

Eduardo (Edweirdo?) did intervene somewhat with lunchtime cooking. I had 1.25 pounds of 93% lean ground beef. My plan had been to make it all into chili, but Edweirdo, after watching Emmy's video, had to take about a quarter pound to make a lunch burger, served on buttered, toasted, thin sliced sourdough bread, with crunchy peanut butter on top of the burger. It was quite good, actually. I had never tried peanut butter on a burger.

Then, after eating lunch, I browned the remaining pound of the ground beef, with some onion, jalapeño, and bell pepper, and added a can of chili beans, and a large spoonful of tomato powder, along with about 2/3 cup of water, a little garlic powder, some additional ground red chili pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. This cooked up to a nice pan of chili that I just tasted the sauce on, at the time, and then put away for the flavors to mingle and combine, not actually EATING any of the chili until this morning for breakfast.

Delicious! I had it with some cheese stirred in and a handful of crumbled Frito chips. I will definitely be enjoying the
    alternation between the two cooked up dishes I have in the fridge and shouldn't have to cook much for myself over the weekend.

Speaking of the weekend, I thought we had a weekend with NO PLANS and was looking forward to that, but then J informed me that we had been invited (and invitation accepted) to a birthday party by the owners of the usual pool party house, for one of the owners. Oh well, there goes the NO PLANS weekend.

The good news is that we don't need to bring anything but ourselves. This won't be a big pool party like the usual ones, but a smaller birthday party and I am not expected to help out in any way, just attend and enjoy myself. I like that idea! I think I might bring along a bathing suit and towel, in case it turns into a birthday/pool party. And, of course, perhaps a bottle of wine as a host/hostess gift.

Need to feed the cats and think about putting that laundry away.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Poundland is the only one left! Poundworld closes, but Stuart got in there for one last review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUGAc8_0BfQ
  • parityanimal
    edited August 2018
    Looks like gluten free too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhJHnXgS6TU
  • parityanimal
    edited August 2018
    Now that we've parched some corn, how do we prepare it for eating?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejrQlhH9RyQ
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi! I am about to fall asleep, so I'll watch the parched corn and other video's tomorrow with breakfast!
    Didn't do much today...I did however, go to the gym for my walk.
    Breakfast was a banana...lunch vegetable salad with lentils for protein, dinner another veg. salad and 2 ears of corn. Thinking of some apple slices, but may save the apple for tomorrow. I read, and wondered about the bacon, peanut butter, etc sandwiches??? What ever happened to good old PB&J? LOL!!
    Chili looked delicious...
    No rain at my house today!!!! After a week of rain, and over 5 inches of it in my rain gauge, today's dry, sunny sky was a very nice change. It just does not rain here in late July and all of August...so this has been amazing!
    Later...
  • RogerToo
    17LQPm.jpg

fH5v8g.jpg

PmCl5t.jpg
    On a clear and flat surface too

1jgngG.jpg

4cTups.jpg

1zsk9c.jpg

D4eMq1.png

qe1D8C.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all. It's fantastic Friday! 70 with an expected high of 83 and 30% chance of precipitation. Looks like, as the rain leaves, the higher temperatures are returning. Oh well, it was nice to have a few cooler days.

Need to clean up yesterday's cat bowls and put that folded laundry away (hah!) and perhaps get out to the grocery store.
    Hi Ed
    Yesterday was not that great looking, We hit intermittent rain going to and returning from the Chinese Buffet so I'm calling the chance of rain at 100% Yesterday and today :(

I am not seeing any cooler days in the 7 day weather forecast, Overnight lows in the 70s and highs in the 90s with rain in the majority of days.
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Dinner last night was a bow of my ham and beans, with a small slice of cornbread. The ham "chips" were not dried, though that would probably have worked out too. They were just small bits and, probably, end pieces from the country ham. I have eaten these just warmed up with breakfast before, but they are really small bits and pieces, some pieces with quite a bit of very chewy fat still attached. They are best used for seasoning, and can then be eaten with the beans. The price of $1.00 for 5 ounces pretty well matched the best deal I've seen at Dollar Tree (3 ounces of biscuit slices OR 5 ounces of "less pretty" slices that are really about the same as the "chips" but perhaps somewhat larger slices) so I had purchased a couple of packs on that (weeks ago) shopping trip when I saw them at Ingles. They keep in the cabinet for a long time and are handy (and work out really well) for a pot of beans when I don't have a ham hock or ham bone on hand. I just have to remember that there is PLENTY of salt in the country ham and I don't even need to think about adding any salt (or anything else salty) to the dish. I could also use them for bits of breakfast country ham but, once opened, they need to be refrigerated and then used up fairly quickly. I don't really tend to use ham to season a lot of foods, being married to a vegetarian, and suppose I probably should be turning in my SOUTHERN card because of that, especially since I don't put any meat at all in my baked beans. LOL.
    It does sound like Ends, I have been known to buy the discounted ends from the ShopRite and use them myself. Is that price of a bit over $3 a pound a good price ?

If I had room I would store them in the refrigerator or freezer just to extend the freshness and use by date.
    Eduardo (Edweirdo?) did intervene somewhat with lunchtime cooking. I had 1.25 pounds of 93% lean ground beef. My plan had been to make it all into chili, but Edweirdo, after watching Emmy's video, had to take about a quarter pound to make a lunch burger, served on buttered, toasted, thin sliced sourdough bread, with crunchy peanut butter on top of the burger. It was quite good, actually. I had never tried peanut butter on a burger.

Then, after eating lunch, I browned the remaining pound of the ground beef, with some onion, jalapeño, and bell pepper, and added a can of chili beans, and a large spoonful of tomato powder, along with about 2/3 cup of water, a little garlic powder, some additional ground red chili pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. This cooked up to a nice pan of chili that I just tasted the sauce on, at the time, and then put away for the flavors to mingle and combine, not actually EATING any of the chili until this morning for breakfast.
    FWIW I have taken Ground Beef fried loose and used it with Sloppy Joe Mix, or Pre treated it after cooking with some Ketchup and Relish so that I can Pull some out of the refrigerator, heat and put between two slices of bread. Less often with Kidney Beans and Chili Powder, That makes a one bowl Protein and starch meal and of course topped with shredded Cheddar :smiley:

Thursday I took and scrambled an egg and after pulling it sprinkled some Shredded Cheddar on it a touch of salt and useful as is or in a sandwich.
    Delicious! I had it with some cheese stirred in and a handful of crumbled Frito chips. I will definitely be enjoying the
    alternation between the two cooked up dishes I have in the fridge and shouldn't have to cook much for myself over the weekend.

Speaking of the weekend, I thought we had a weekend with NO PLANS and was looking forward to that, but then J informed me that we had been invited (and invitation accepted) to a birthday party by the owners of the usual pool party house, for one of the owners. Oh well, there goes the NO PLANS weekend.

The good news is that we don't need to bring anything but ourselves. This won't be a big pool party like the usual ones, but a smaller birthday party and I am not expected to help out in any way, just attend and enjoy myself. I like that idea! I think I might bring along a bathing suit and towel, in case it turns into a birthday/pool party. And, of course, perhaps a bottle of wine as a host/hostess gift.

Need to feed the cats and think about putting that laundry away.
    The Best Made Plans :wink:
    Now that we've parched some corn, how do we prepare it for eating?
    I have some dried Sweet Corn that we grew last year that I take and Parch, My version is a cast iron skillet and frying the Sweet Corn in a bit of Butter until nice and crunchy then salt to taste. Fry with a lid on to prevent splatters and some of the Corn Pops too.
    Looks like gluten free too!
    Pass

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi! I am about to fall asleep, so I'll watch the parched corn and other video's tomorrow with breakfast!
    Didn't do much today...I did however, go to the gym for my walk.
    Breakfast was a banana...lunch vegetable salad with lentils for protein, dinner another veg. salad and 2 ears of corn. Thinking of some apple slices, but may save the apple for tomorrow. I read, and wondered about the bacon, peanut butter, etc sandwiches??? What ever happened to good old PB&J? LOL!!
    Chili looked delicious...
    No rain at my house today!!!! After a week of rain, and over 5 inches of it in my rain gauge, today's dry, sunny sky was a very nice change. It just does not rain here in late July and all of August...so this has been amazing!
    Later...
    Hi Valerie
    PB&J Yummy, PB and sliced Banana sandwiches too. Call me a traditionalist I like Grape Jelly for the J part and Crunchy Peanut Butter.

I do like Candied Bacon, It just doesn't like my waistline :blush:

The Forecast that Sunday and Monday would be the days to Mow the lawn is not that good to me. It will still be in the 90s and lows in the 70s. The only reason for saying is that it will not be raining.

Have a Good Day
    Roger