Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,213 Member
    1780's recipe for German Dutch oven pot roast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVdpC7hiDU
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good early afternoon...
    I have been up quite awhile...I have accomplished nothing! LOL!

Watching the live feed of hurricane M. as he roars to shore...All I can say is OMG! And as I typed...big chunk of something like a roof? just blew down outside their windows. I couldn't see it, but they watched a neighboring house 'rolling down the street' in front of where they are holed up...

Roger you asked, and I don't expect/we aren't getting any rain from this hurricane. We'll be on the NW side, and dry. They, locally are saying maybe gusts of 30-35 mph for here. (trees come down, take power lines, I could end up in the dark for awhile. Have gas stove, so I could bake, broil, boil, etc veggies.. As long as those BIG TALL Pine trees stay standing, I'm OK! :)

I did 'something' to my left foot last Wednesday...and I've been taking Aleve, icing, soaking in warm Epsom Salts, etc, and it seemed to be doing better....until today. I stepped my good foot up on a slight step and started to lose my balance...put weight on the left foot...and now it really hurts..a ...lot. SO this morning I'm doing 20 minutes on and 20minutes off the ice pack. Joy, joy!! (forget the 'happy happy part) :)

I follow a web site called @kitchn.com (no 2nd i...) and there have been a lot of recipe's for crock pots and many others for casseroles, stove top, etc. and a good few for Vegans. I've thought of both of you as I've been reading thru them...they've also been featuring Costco finds for organic rice, vegetables, prepared meals, etc...and also highlighting Trader Joe's also. The Teriyaki Udon noodles that Roger asked about...I really don't remember, exactly where, but it was in those refrigerated isles that make up the meat and cheese area.

Ok, the sun is out, and for a minute the breeze stopped, but it has returned...(good confusing mosquitoes!!!)

I'm going to stand on my nice cushioned mat in my kitchen, and unload the dishwasher, and then address the two sinks which became 'holding/soaking' areas yesterday evening...

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Still working on my daily goals....lol, not.
    but I do have rice cooked, and laundry in the dryer, etc...(also a little nap, which explains lack of progress in my day).

Have watched more TV lately than I have watched in years...today was the hurricane.. we are getting some rain, a reported tornado on the west side of ATL...(Ed and I are on the eastern side of ATL..., just for reference Roger.)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Tonight's home made beans and bacon with home made cornbread crisps.

6rr0uz15wd6d.png
  • parityanimal
    edited October 2018
    Cornbread Crisps

1 cup cornmeal (NOT self-rising, and NOT corn meal "mix", just corn meal) I used House Autry Yellow Plain Corn Meal

1 cup warm (not real hot, but pretty warm) water

1/2 tsp salt

Heat about a quarter inch of oil in a pan, to medium high heat. If the oil isn't hot enough, you'll just make a big mess!

Mix the cornmeal, water, and salt. It will be a pretty thin batter.

Drop by spoons full into the hot oil, turning when brown on bottom and center can be easily pulled from the bottom.

When brown on both sides, drain on paper towels.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    x9g0iW.jpg

D980uM.jpg

ZDrBhZ.gif

dlWaL9.jpg

KhJkhy.jpg

DQianz.jpg

2NCsqu.gif
    Optical Illusion, Donkey or Seal

zXU0S7.jpg

viazom.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and No Money found. The Temperature out the door was 73 degrees and uncomfortable due to the humidity. There is rain in forecast that is predicted to be in the 1 to 2 inch range with wind in the 30+ MPH.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6253453/Antidepressants-pose-threat-wildlife-presence-water-supplies-say-experts.html
    Soaring antidepressant use is turning our waters into a 'drug soup' and changing marine life's ability to mate, feed and move

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6257933/The-birds-bring-passenger-pigeon-life.html
    Revealed: The birds in a groundbreaking 'de-extinction' gene editing experiment that could help bring dozens of species 'back from the dead'

https://apnews.com/b8b4d27254814894b3a79aa3083fb356
    Treasure hunters doubt FBI's word on dig for Civil War gold

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-09/new-evidence-of-hacked-supermicro-hardware-found-in-u-s-telecom
    New Evidence of Hacked Supermicro Hardware Found in U.S. Telecom
    The discovery shows that China continues to sabotage critical technology components bound for America.

Or take the batterie out and use physical old school keys, I am guessing that You can use a real key ?
    https://gnd.com/why-authorities-warn-you-should-always-keep-your-keys-wrapped-in-foil.php?aff=1561&pclickid=053542f8-d6fa-4196-9b9a-bb91c8f6e2bc
    Why Authorities Warn You Should Always Keep Your Keys Wrapped In Foil

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rise-obesity-diabetes-could-exacerbate-102510661.html
    Rise of obesity and diabetes could exacerbate future flu pandemics

https://www.studyfinds.org/daily-glass-wine-earlier-death-study-finds/
    That Daily Glass Of Wine May Lead To An Earlier Death, Study Finds
    Research shows that the harmful effects of light drinking outweigh the benefits touted by other studies

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all. Its wonderful Wednesday. 73 with an expected high of 81 and 80% chance of PM thunderstorms.

Got my van dropped off at a dealership early this morning. Hopefully they will be able to finally fix the intermittent dinging and dash lights going nuts after having my local shop give up on that. My local shop DID get some other things fixed up that needed fixing and I'm pleased with the work they did. The engine sounds better than it has in a long time, especially after replacing the generator. The old one had a bad bearing.

My local garage was pretty sure that the Engine Control Unit needs to be replaced, as they looked at EVERYTHING else electrical, and determined that when the weirdness happens, the voltage is spiking to around 15. As the voltage is not regulated in/at the generator in this van, they said it IS regulated in the ECU but that they were not equipped to replace that unit, as it has to be programmed after replacement.

So, I think it's either the ECU or the van is just possessed. In any case, it will hopefully be exorcised well before Halloween. LOL.

Need to clean up the cat bowls and feed the cats. I have already got beans started in two slow cookers for tonight's dinner. The small one has some plain Great Northern beans for J, with just salt. The larger one has Great Northern beans, some extra spicy Mrs. Dash seasoning, some salt, some black pepper, and four thick slices of bacon that I cooked up fairly crispy and then cut up into bite size pieces.

That takes care of the first package (12 OUNCES!) of that bacon. I've liked it well enough with breakfast or in a club sandwich but notice that one end does seem to be a bit chewy. At any rate, later, if I feel like it, I may add some tomato sauce or paste to my pot, near the end of the cooking time, to make it into some nice bean and bacon soup, or I may just eat it as beans. Either way, some cornbread is definitely on the menu tonight to go with the beans. And for J I may make some fried potatoes as he's not too crazy about cornbread.

And I want a nap.
    Hi Ed
    The ECU sounds expensive, Maybe it will be something cheaper, Good Luck
    Hopefully the Exorcism works.

Bacon and Bean Soup sounds delicious to me.

Enjoy the Dinner
    Tuna roll that is actually watermelon, not tuna. You can tune a piano but you can't tune a roll.
    Why Bother, Just because You can ?
    Mr Wolfe tries a knock of McRib sandwich.
    I have tried the Pork part of that sandwich from the Dollar Tree, It was OK.
    1780's recipe for German Dutch oven pot roast.
    Wat Kitchen Chicken Teriyaki Noodles actually sounds good to eat.

I think I will pass on the Watersons Tuna Lunch.
    Tonight's home made beans and bacon with home made cornbread crisps.
    Looks good to me, Crock Pot or stovetop pot. FWIW my brother uses a Ceramic Bean Pot and bakes in the oven using that. The Cornbread looks a little unusual.
    Cornbread Crisps
    1 cup cornmeal (NOT self-rising, and NOT corn meal "mix", just corn meal) I used House Autry Yellow Plain Corn Meal

1 cup warm (not real hot, but pretty warm) water

1/2 tsp salt

Heat about a quarter inch of oil in a pan, to medium high heat. If the oil isn't hot enough, you'll just make a big mess!

Mix the cornmeal, water, and salt. It will be a pretty thin batter.

Drop by spoons full into the hot oil, turning when brown on bottom and center can be easily pulled from the bottom.

When brown on both sides, drain on paper towels.
    it would seem to me that this recipe would make a dense fried cornbread ?
    Medium high heat oil, would that be just before it starts to smoke ?

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good early afternoon...
    I have been up quite awhile...I have accomplished nothing! LOL!

Watching the live feed of hurricane M. as he roars to shore...All I can say is OMG! And as I typed...big chunk of something like a roof? just blew down outside their windows. I couldn't see it, but they watched a neighboring house 'rolling down the street' in front of where they are holed up...

Roger you asked, and I don't expect/we aren't getting any rain from this hurricane. We'll be on the NW side, and dry. They, locally are saying maybe gusts of 30-35 mph for here. (trees come down, take power lines, I could end up in the dark for awhile. Have gas stove, so I could bake, broil, boil, etc veggies.. As long as those BIG TALL Pine trees stay standing, I'm OK! :)
    Hi Valerie
    I saw some of the damage happening on the TV news. The poor Florida Panhandle :( I hope that the Carolinas come out no worse than before.

Good Luck keeping Your power on, My Main worry about power outages would be if it was long term and I lost the contents of the Refrigerators Freezer section and the Basement freezer.
    I did 'something' to my left foot last Wednesday...and I've been taking Aleve, icing, soaking in warm Epsom Salts, etc, and it seemed to be doing better....until today. I stepped my good foot up on a slight step and started to lose my balance...put weight on the left foot...and now it really hurts..a ...lot. SO this morning I'm doing 20 minutes on and 20minutes off the ice pack. Joy, joy!! (forget the 'happy happy part) :)
    Time to see a foot doctor ? Foot problems can be a big problem.
    I follow a web site called @kitchn.com (no 2nd i...) and there have been a lot of recipe's for crock pots and many others for casseroles, stove top, etc. and a good few for Vegans. I've thought of both of you as I've been reading thru them...they've also been featuring Costco finds for organic rice, vegetables, prepared meals, etc...and also highlighting Trader Joe's also. The Teriyaki Udon noodles that Roger asked about...I really don't remember, exactly where, but it was in those refrigerated isles that make up the meat and cheese area.

Ok, the sun is out, and for a minute the breeze stopped, but it has returned...(good confusing mosquitoes!!!)

I'm going to stand on my nice cushioned mat in my kitchen, and unload the dishwasher, and then address the two sinks which became 'holding/soaking' areas yesterday evening...

Later...
    Thank You for the headsup on where to look for the noodles. I tend to breeze past those much as I breeze past the oh so tempting in store Bakery section.

Did the Cushioned mat help with the foot.

I wonder if it would help to install bat houses to deal with the Mosquitoes ?
    https://batworld.org/bat-house-information/
    Bat House Information

Mounting a bat house on your property is the perfect way to help bats who are in need of a safe place to live while protecting your yard from pesky night-flying insects.
    Still working on my daily goals....lol, not.
    but I do have rice cooked, and laundry in the dryer, etc...(also a little nap, which explains lack of progress in my day).

Have watched more TV lately than I have watched in years...today was the hurricane.. we are getting some rain, a reported tornado on the west side of ATL...(Ed and I are on the eastern side of ATL..., just for reference Roger.)

Later...
    Ah, That reminds me, I washed and dried my laundry yesterday. The new dryer seems easy enough to use. It does have what my brother calls a annoying hum, it did not bother me.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all! It's thrilling Thursday! 71 with an expected high of 77 and 0% chance of precipitation. My brother, a little further south and east, survived the storm with no apparent issues other than his dogs not wanting to "go" on mats in the garage, since nobody, even the dogs, got out of the house during the storm. First world problems.

ehi88pe9avn9.png

I tried, but then remembered, too late, that the chimney damper was closed...well maybe I'll get to see a golden unicorn some other time.

Still got to clean up yesterday's cat bowls and feed the cats. The feeding stall I designed for Dinah, to keep Oliver from pushing her away from her food and eating it, seems to be working well. If she's eating, he CAN'T get in there with her.

He was pushing her head to the side, and eating her food, while she was keeping the lid open by keeping her head in there trying to eat her own food. Now she can eat in peace and he has to eat his own food.

There was already no room for him to try that on Kiara, as there's a wall on that side of her bowl, and the other side has an open door against it. And if he were to try with Queen Lilo, well, she doesn't take any crap from anyone, especially an upstart young interloper. LOL.
    ——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Vegan fast food chain that hasn't made it to the East yet, but we can hope. I would love to try it with J.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is-NL0UqjRo
  • parityanimal
    I feel sorry for the kids this time around, trying a burger in a can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80kDA1Zib8U
  • parityanimal
    This pie looks hilarious! Not sure I'd want to actually eat it, but LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bUI-zuDAVQ
  • parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Looks good to me, Crock Pot or stovetop pot. FWIW my brother uses a Ceramic Bean Pot and bakes in the oven using that. The Cornbread looks a little unusual.

it would seem to me that this recipe would make a dense fried cornbread ?
    Medium high heat oil, would that be just before it starts to smoke ?

Have a Good Day
    Roger

Crock pot, all day long. Of course the beans were soaked for nearly 24 hours in salted water, then rinsed and put in the crockpot with the seasoning and bacon. Nice and tender, yummy beans. Bacon works about as well as ham, but with a slightly different flavor and quite a bit less meat than I usually leave on a ham bone.

The cornbread crisps, as you can see, turned out very thin and crispy. The batter is VERY thin actually and as you drop it in the oil (yes, not quite smoking temperature, level 6 out of 10 on my electric stove) it makes little circles with holes in them, that cook fairly quickly. Done this way, I was able to spoon a bit of the beans and bacon on top of a cornbread crisp and enjoy them both in one bite.

I have a method that makes them even thinner and crispier, and bigger around, unless you use a smaller spoon for the dropping. For the thinner and crispier ones, use twice as much water, but it should be boiling hot, and mixed quickly with the corn meal to make a thicker batter. That sounds like it would be thicker when cooked, but actually the corn meal is half cooked by the boiling water. Remember it's got twice as much water in the batter, so even though it is thicker, there is twice as much water to cook out of them. When you drop them in the oil, they become almost paper thin then and take a bit longer to cook, because of the additional moisture. But talk about crispy! Wow! A bit too delicate for what I wanted last night, but very nice to just munch on.

• GardenKatGardens
    Hey, I'm here!
    Started reading about 11:30, got side tracked by laundry, making lunch, etc..lots of etc...so, had to say Hi, cuz its now or never today. Trash day, O's gym night, etc.

I did notice about 4.5 inches of rain in my rain gauge...which was empty on Tues night...I don't think we got any really big rains Tues night, but sure did start raining for real yesterday...yeah, mostly after I went to bed, I think. I do remember hearing rain on the windows as I was crawling in to my 'nest'...(Ted's only 2 points ahead of me in Scrabble...need some BIG point moves)

I barely moved yesterday, you can ask Fitbit...and foot pain much improved. ??? maybe it got more rested? maybe whatever was pulled, stretched, whatever has begun healing...maybe it is the Black Seed oil, maybe it was just cramping and it was the Magnesium rub?? I'll take it which ever...

Winds gusty, sunny, and the big chill starts tonite. Have my root veggies all ready to roast. :)

Ed, long long ago Thanksgiving was always spent at Myrtle Beach...and there was a place there that made the cormeal crispies...very thin, definitely fried, (not sure they were deep fried) but they were lacy and thin and hot, and more addicting than any potato chip ever put in a bag........mmmmmmmm!!!

Ahhhh, new dryer for your house Roger! Nice. I was looking at my Maytags and silently begging them to last another 10 years.

Ok, stuff to do still, the last load of laundry is buzzing, so theres that...... and I'm sure more.

Later
  • parityanimal

Ed, long long ago Thanksgiving was always spent at Myrtle Beach...and there was a place there that made the cormeal crispies...very thin, definitely fried, (not sure they were deep fried) but they were lacy and thin and hot, and more addicting than any potato chip ever put in a bag........mmmmmmmm!!!

That sounds like my extra thin ones. So lacy, delicate, and thin. I could eat a whole batch and not even blink, I think.
  • RogerToo
    yHnj6R.jpg

6zZQbJ.jpg

And now for the Humor :

WLq5Yc.jpg

XnZKwV.jpg

cEqpD2.jpg

vUfqi8.jpg

alUNgU.jpg

iClV6G.jpg

uXjyEU.jpg

oQiPlA.jpg
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2018
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and No Money found. The Temperature out the door was 62 degrees and comfortable due to the low humidity and breeze.
    There was rain overnight, I had heard it hitting the bedroom AC around 3AM and with the breeze things were drying out by 5AM. I did see three come out of a driveway and go trotting down the street on a street where I had not sen them before.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/10/rent-reform-is-a-calamity-in-the-making/
    NYC is at it again
    Rent ‘reform’ is a calamity in the making

https://nypost.com/2018/10/09/break-up-amazon-before-it-does-any-more-damage-to-america/
    Break up Amazon before it does any more damage to America

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/fbi-warns-terrorists-with-drones-escalating-threat-in-u-s#gs.uwaRv8E
    FBI Warns That Terrorists With Drones Pose ‘Escalating Threat’ in U.S.

https://www.space.com/42085-mysterious-fast-radio-bursts-new-discoveries.html
    Mysterious Deep-Space Flashes: 19 More 'Fast Radio Bursts' Found

Pass
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/facebook-wants-people-invite-cameras-homes-130214542.html
    Facebook wants people to invite its cameras into their homes

Just Wrong
    https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/741464-13-year-olds-who-trick-or-treat-in-chesapeake-virginia-face-fines-possible-jail-time/
    13-Year-Olds Who Trick or Treat in Chesapeake, Virginia, Face Fines, Possible Jail Time

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article219663830.html
    ‘Explosively breeding’ frogs are literally dropping from above in NC, experts say

Have a Great Friday
    Roger