Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,213 Member
    iu9t1ew9c8il.png
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday!

38/3 with an expected high of 63/17 and 0% chance of precipitation.

Need to get yesterday's cat bowls cleaned up, and me and the cats fed. I forgot to get canned mealworms for the sugar gliders the other day when I got cat and kitten food, so I need to stop at PetSmart soon to get that, as they are working on their last can. Last night they got some nice, sweet, almost, but not quite, over-ripe Comice pear, since I happened to notice a bin of them at Ingles yesterday, on special sale because they needed to be eaten soon or disposed of. I only bought one, as the sugar gliders just need about an eighth of a piece and you can't really keep pears once cut, at least not easily. J and I consumed the rest of the delicious piece of fruit.

RogerToo wrote: »

So the Allegra type may not be quite as effective ?

Everything looking fine is good, I can only think that the gold frames must not be using real gold. That is a problem I have not run into.

Apples vs. oranges. Allegra is not a decongestant. It's an antihistamine allergy pill. As far as I know the only things you have to sign for are the decongestants containing pseudoephedrine, and that's because it can be used, in larger quantities, for home production of meth.

My understanding on the gold frames is that the gold used is generally not 18K, which contains no nickel, but a lower grad such as 10K, a less expensive alloy, which does contain nickel, as does non-surgical grade stainless steel, which I also cannot wear.

The same is true for sterling silver. In high school someone gave me a sterling silver name bracelet that I liked a lot but even if I painted it with nail polish I turned it green and it made my wrist break out. Eventually I passed it on to someone else named Ed, who didn't have a nickel allergy, since I couldn't wear it except for very brief periods of time.

I do fine with titanium or niobium jewelry, but for some reason niobium, while used in some modern jewelry, doesn't seem to be in common use for eye glasses. At any rate, the plus on titanium is that it's very lightweight but still fairly strong and my glasses, especially with high grade plastic lenses, don't feel like they are trying to drag my nose and ears off my head from the weight. LOL.

I wear a watch with a plastic back and plastic strap.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Chefs try to create kids fantasy dish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhiChANKy9E
  • parityanimal
    Vegetable gratin, three ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lBMQGl4ZXw
  • parityanimal
    The ultimate fast food breakfast sandwich taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4GS_2pxwdw
  • parityanimal
    Don't forget to set your clocks back tonight! Daylight savings time ends!

mctmtnd8vfhg.png
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    I got out to PetSmart and got the meal worms for the sugar gliders. Oliver climbed up on top of the cage again this morning, first time I've caught him since I spanked him last week. So there is now foil all around the lower back and upper legs to, well, foil him. Hopefully he'll take one gander at that and say, "Meow!" which translates to, "Curses! Foiled again!"

And after buying the meal worms, I came back across the street to Aldi. I spent $39.06 and it's ALL YOUR FAULT, Val!

I wouldn't have even looked in the seasonal aisle if you hadn't mentioned the Pfeffernüsse! But there they were, so a bag of those came home with me, along with some Almond Spekulatius cookies (very high on both my favorites list and on J's - very reminiscent of windmill cookies), Butter Spekulatius cookies (just to try), and the apparent last box of pumpkin pie Pop Tarts.

OK. I won't blame you for the ENTIRE $39.06, just the cookies and Pop Tarts. LOL.

I also got a frozen flatbread appetizer, just garlic (butter?) and cheese, and a frozen pizza package that we've tried before, with one pepperoni deep dish, crisp crust, pizza and one cheese deep dish, crisp crust, pizza. J eats the cheese and I eat the pepperoni.

And while picking up a can of cream of mushroom and a can of tomato soup, I saw they have the harvest soup line out again this year. Seems like just a week or two ago that they had those out and I can't believe a whole year has already passed. I got a harvest potato soup, a harvest vegetable soup, and a split pea soup. Eduardo just suddenly pushed the idea of adding pepperoni to the split pea soup, so I may have to stifle my inner Eduardo for a while or I'll end up actually doing that and eating that just to see if it works. Sometimes I have the weirdest food ideas, and most of them actually do work, but when they don't, boy they don't!

I did inspect a box of the pumpkin soup, as I love a good pumpkin soup. In fact, I MAKE a good pumpkin soup. But I don't add sugar, as pumpkin is generally sweet enough on its own and if you want the soup sweeter, then just use a pie pumpkin to make it and you still don't need to add sugar. As the box listed sugar as one of the ingredients, I declined to buy it and set it back on the shelf.

I make a nice, savory, pumpkin bisque that I've only managed to serve to one or two friends, who liked it but I think I'm still in the minority on liking pumpkin soup around here. So when I make it I usually try to make it in small amounts so I can enjoy it all before I get tired of it. It is very good, but as with any food, as Popeye said, enough is enough.

I added a few other items, such as some vegetarian stuffing mix in case J is here for Thanksgiving. He isn't sure yet, but often goes up to Kentucky for that. If he IS here I'll make my own cornbread stuffing from stuffing crumbs, with turkey stock, and my own added seasonings, and then make him a box of vegetarian (and NOT cornbread) stuffing, with vegetable broth.

I can also add a broccoli, riced cauliflower, and cheese casserole to the menu if he's here, and using cauliflower would mean I could eat more than just a taste of it.

So far the menu for solo Thanksgiving is looking like:

Sliced, roasted turkey.
    Sliced, cured ham.
    Cornbread stuffing made with turkey stock.
    Green beans OR green peas. Haven't decided. If the beans, I MAY make the green bean casserole but also may just have beans, or perhaps sprinkle French Fried onions on top of plain beans. I like the casserole but it gets old and tired after a couple of meals, and it's impossible to make a tiny, individual one.
    Brown turkey gravy for the stuffing.
    Pumpkin swirl cheesecake, pre-made, commercial, in the freezer. 8 pieces, in two packages of 4, but one package may stay there until Christmas, which was kind of on my mind when I picked up the second package. That may depend on whether J is here and how much of it he eats, if any.
    Possibly real whipped cream for topping but perhaps not. Easy enough for me to whip up if I want it.

If J is here I'll likely add:

Broccoli, riced cauliflower and cheese casserole.
    Potato salad.
    Deviled eggs.

I can eat one or two pieces of deviled egg (can anyone REALLY eat just one?) and a bite of the potato salad, and the broccoli casserole can be a good side for me as an add on, though I don't really need it.

And of course I'm sure there will be cookies if J doesn't like the pumpkin swirl cheesecake or doesn't want to try any. I know he prefers pecan pie and if he's here a pecan pie may happen too! I can whip up one of my famous maple pecan pies easily enough. But if I do, I WILL eat some of that, even if it's made for him...because I love pecan pie too.

I figure with the meats and (hopefully) green beans, I can fill up on non-carby stuff first before hitting the carbs. Hopefully. Hah! It'll be Thanksgiving so I don't really get too bent if I go overboard on that holiday, but still try to be a lot more reasonable than I used to be. Pretty sure I'll eat a bit more stuffing and gravy than I really should, but that's what Thanksgiving is all about for me. Stuffing and gravy! And turkey of course.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi! Sat. 11.3.18
    Pretty outside, nice and bright sunny day. Leaves have begun to turn to gold on the biggest maple...They will do a 50% drop next week...not looking forward to that...but will enjoy being 'justified' by the large amount of leaves there are!!

Ed, hope you enjoy the cookies. ?, Did you see the Panettone Bread at the checkout line? That was hard to pass by! I'm saving my cookies for T Day too.

Roger, no the Peanut butter cups were not from what is somewhere in this house...I bought one pkg, of 2 cups, so I didn't 'grieve' over not having at least one this Halloween. And while I'm thinking of it....have you found any really tasty good apples so far this year? Either my 'taster' is really out of whack...or they just aren't as tasty this year. (and the ones that are sorta ok, are HUGE) Nobody needs to eat an apple that weighs nearly a pound!
    Ted called. He's going to Stick and basket with me tomorrow afternoon...you know LAX.. ok, LaCrosse...last game of the season. :p

This morning I began putting summer clothes in storage. Weather bounces around so much down here that I never really put EVERYthing away for the winter...but most everything.

The foodie post with the little girl wanting 'scary' food..was cute. But its a rare child who would choose Spagh. and Meatballs over Ice cream and cake pops!!! Good for her though!

Ok, nap time...
  • parityanimal

Ed, hope you enjoy the cookies. ?, Did you see the Panettone Bread at the checkout line? That was hard to pass by! I'm saving my cookies for T Day too.

And while I'm thinking of it....have you found any really tasty good apples so far this year? Either my 'taster' is really out of whack...or they just aren't as tasty this year. (and the ones that are sorta ok, are HUGE) Nobody needs to eat an apple that weighs nearly a pound!

I'm sure I (we) will enjoy the cookies. J is in there now threatening to open the almond cookies and if he does I may have to buy another box and hide it until Thanksgiving. I don't think he'll be so anxious to open the butter cookies and KNOW he won't open the spice cookies, as he doesn't care for them at all.

I did see some chocolate chip pannetone, in the seasonal aisle, but didn't see any regular (fruit) pannetone at my Aldi. Don't recall really looking at the stuff at the checkout though. I love the fruit pannetone but, despite loving chocolate, am not particularly fond of the chocolate chip pannetone, and didn't buy that.

If I go back and see some regular (fruit) pannetone at the counter it will be all your fault that I buy some! LOL.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    V95hqS.gif

1IRz6P.gif

4QoLRH.gif

hWEqvZ.gif

uGoFaA.jpg

fciKR5.gif

1F1M8t.jpg

CuygpC.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and once again with No Money found. The Temperature out the door was 36 degrees. OTOH it was not too bad walking, Tomorrow where I walk depends on the weather, Rain is in the forecast for Monday and Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46065796
    Private messages from 81,000 hacked Facebook accounts for sale

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-02/new-york-city-joins-imminent-bankruptcy-club
    New York City Joins The "Imminent Bankruptcy" Club

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/one-of-our-islands-is-missing--japan--loses--a-bit-of-land-10891470
    One of our islands is missing: Japan 'loses' a bit of land

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/02/as-housing-costs-rise-many-people-are-falling-behind-on-other-bills.html
    One-quarter of renters couldn't cover a $400 emergency, survey finds

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article220977730.html
    NC man touched raw shrimp after Hurricane Florence. It left him fighting for his life

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday!

38/3 with an expected high of 63/17 and 0% chance of precipitation.

Need to get yesterday's cat bowls cleaned up, and me and the cats fed. I forgot to get canned mealworms for the sugar gliders the other day when I got cat and kitten food, so I need to stop at PetSmart soon to get that, as they are working on their last can. Last night they got some nice, sweet, almost, but not quite, over-ripe Comice pear, since I happened to notice a bin of them at Ingles yesterday, on special sale because they needed to be eaten soon or disposed of. I only bought one, as the sugar gliders just need about an eighth of a piece and you can't really keep pears once cut, at least not easily. J and I consumed the rest of the delicious piece of fruit.

So the Allegra type may not be quite as effective ?

Everything looking fine is good, I can only think that the gold frames must not be using real gold. That is a problem I have not run into.
    Apples vs. oranges. Allegra is not a decongestant. It's an antihistamine allergy pill. As far as I know the only things you have to sign for are the decongestants containing pseudoephedrine, and that's because it can be used, in larger quantities, for home production of meth.

My understanding on the gold frames is that the gold used is generally not 18K, which contains no nickel, but a lower grad such as 10K, a less expensive alloy, which does contain nickel, as does non-surgical grade stainless steel, which I also cannot wear.

The same is true for sterling silver. In high school someone gave me a sterling silver name bracelet that I liked a lot but even if I painted it with nail polish I turned it green and it made my wrist break out. Eventually I passed it on to someone else named Ed, who didn't have a nickel allergy, since I couldn't wear it except for very brief periods of time.

I do fine with titanium or niobium jewelry, but for some reason niobium, while used in some modern jewelry, doesn't seem to be in common use for eye glasses. At any rate, the plus on titanium is that it's very lightweight but still fairly strong and my glasses, especially with high grade plastic lenses, don't feel like they are trying to drag my nose and ears off my head from the weight. LOL.

I wear a watch with a plastic back and plastic strap.
    Hi Ed
    Nobium sounds expensive ?
    I thought Titanium was used where Strength and light weight was needed and not a less expensive metal ?

Canned Meal Worms, That is a new one to me.

I would not expect real silver not to tarnish FWIW, Sterling Silver I do not know.

I would not have thought that You could find a watch with a Plastic back. Wristwatches are something I never had any luck with as I always shattered the Crystal. So when I was driving for a living I used a Pocket Watch in a leather case that protected the Crystal from getting scratched. Now I just reach into the pocket and pull out the FitBit Zip and check the time that way.
    Chefs try to create kids fantasy dish.
    Interesting, I'm curious as to what they could dream up.
    Vegetable gratin, three ways.
    Potatoes are a Vegetable :wink:
    The ultimate fast food breakfast sandwich taste.
    I have never been impressed by Burger King breakfast foods. OTOH I like the McDonalds breakfast items, All :)
    Don't forget to set your clocks back tonight! Daylight savings time ends!
    I did the bedroom alarm clock before retiring for the evening, FWIW I do not use the alarm function to get up and out to walk, whenever I wake up is when.
    OTOH since I can eat regular meatballs...
    Homemade Italian Meatballs, fried up and then out into the Tomato Gravy for hours are so tasty.
    I got out to PetSmart and got the meal worms for the sugar gliders. Oliver climbed up on top of the cage again this morning, first time I've caught him since I spanked him last week. So there is now foil all around the lower back and upper legs to, well, foil him. Hopefully he'll take one gander at that and say, "Meow!" which translates to, "Curses! Foiled again!"
    Good Luck with the foil.
    And after buying the meal worms, I came back across the street to Aldi. I spent $39.06 and it's ALL YOUR FAULT, Val!

I wouldn't have even looked in the seasonal aisle if you hadn't mentioned the Pfeffernüsse! But there they were, so a bag of those came home with me, along with some Almond Spekulatius cookies (very high on both my favorites list and on J's - very reminiscent of windmill cookies), Butter Spekulatius cookies (just to try), and the apparent last box of pumpkin pie Pop Tarts.

OK. I won't blame you for the ENTIRE $39.06, just the cookies and Pop Tarts. LOL.

I also got a frozen flatbread appetizer, just garlic (butter?) and cheese, and a frozen pizza package that we've tried before, with one pepperoni deep dish, crisp crust, pizza and one cheese deep dish, crisp crust, pizza. J eats the cheese and I eat the pepperoni.
    Both Pizzas in one package or two individual packages which is my guess. Your mention of The frozen Flatbread appetizer reminded me that I can not find a tasty Garlic bread at any of the Pizza locations locally, One of them does have Garlic Knots that are OK.

I did find a place that makes a more or less OK Italian Hot Dog. It has two long Hot Dogs in a submarine bread loaf, French Fries, Sauteed Onions and Peppers & Mustard which I had them leave off.
    The preferred version has Chunks of Potatoes, the Hot Dogs and the Onions and Peppers deep fried in vegetable oil with Italian Pizza bread as the bread.
    8hYbRl.jpg

Hmm... It is time or maybe past time that the Pumpkin Pie hand Pies start appearing in the convenience stores, I have not looked.
    And while picking up a can of cream of mushroom and a can of tomato soup, I saw they have the harvest soup line out again this year. Seems like just a week or two ago that they had those out and I can't believe a whole year has already passed. I got a harvest potato soup, a harvest vegetable soup, and a split pea soup. Eduardo just suddenly pushed the idea of adding pepperoni to the split pea soup, so I may have to stifle my inner Eduardo for a while or I'll end up actually doing that and eating that just to see if it works. Sometimes I have the weirdest food ideas, and most of them actually do work, but when they don't, boy they don't!

I did inspect a box of the pumpkin soup, as I love a good pumpkin soup. In fact, I MAKE a good pumpkin soup. But I don't add sugar, as pumpkin is generally sweet enough on its own and if you want the soup sweeter, then just use a pie pumpkin to make it and you still don't need to add sugar. As the box listed sugar as one of the ingredients, I declined to buy it and set it back on the shelf.

I make a nice, savory, pumpkin bisque that I've only managed to serve to one or two friends, who liked it but I think I'm still in the minority on liking pumpkin soup around here. So when I make it I usually try to make it in small amounts so I can enjoy it all before I get tired of it. It is very good, but as with any food, as Popeye said, enough is enough.

I added a few other items, such as some vegetarian stuffing mix in case J is here for Thanksgiving. He isn't sure yet, but often goes up to Kentucky for that. If he IS here I'll make my own cornbread stuffing from stuffing crumbs, with turkey stock, and my own added seasonings, and then make him a box of vegetarian (and NOT cornbread) stuffing, with vegetable broth.

I can also add a broccoli, riced cauliflower, and cheese casserole to the menu if he's here, and using cauliflower would mean I could eat more than just a taste of it.

So far the menu for solo Thanksgiving is looking like:

Sliced, roasted turkey.
    Sliced, cured ham.
    Cornbread stuffing made with turkey stock.
    Green beans OR green peas. Haven't decided. If the beans, I MAY make the green bean casserole but also may just have beans, or perhaps sprinkle French Fried onions on top of plain beans. I like the casserole but it gets old and tired after a couple of meals, and it's impossible to make a tiny, individual one.
    Brown turkey gravy for the stuffing.
    Pumpkin swirl cheesecake, pre-made, commercial, in the freezer. 8 pieces, in two packages of 4, but one package may stay there until Christmas, which was kind of on my mind when I picked up the second package. That may depend on whether J is here and how much of it he eats, if any.
    Possibly real whipped cream for topping but perhaps not. Easy enough for me to whip up if I want it.

If J is here I'll likely add:

Broccoli, riced cauliflower and cheese casserole.
    Potato salad.
    Deviled eggs.

I can eat one or two pieces of deviled egg (can anyone REALLY eat just one?) and a bite of the potato salad, and the broccoli casserole can be a good side for me as an add on, though I don't really need it.

And of course I'm sure there will be cookies if J doesn't like the pumpkin swirl cheesecake or doesn't want to try any. I know he prefers pecan pie and if he's here a pecan pie may happen too! I can whip up one of my famous maple pecan pies easily enough. But if I do, I WILL eat some of that, even if it's made for him...because I love pecan pie too.

I figure with the meats and (hopefully) green beans, I can fill up on non-carby stuff first before hitting the carbs. Hopefully. Hah! It'll be Thanksgiving so I don't really get too bent if I go overboard on that holiday, but still try to be a lot more reasonable than I used to be. Pretty sure I'll eat a bit more stuffing and gravy than I really should, but that's what Thanksgiving is all about for me. Stuffing and gravy! And turkey of course.
    Most Pecan Pies are sugar bombs that I have tried.

Cornbread stuffing is something I do not recall having in the past and since I am happy with the Seasoned bread stuffing with butter melting into it and then covered with Turkey gravy made using the juices from the pan I likely will not try it this year either. I know I will end up eating to much Mashed Potatoes treated like the Stuffing as well as the stuffing. The Bread stuffing IMO is so tasty the next day crisped up in the skillet using butter instead of oil with the addition of Peas and Corn and gravy :blush:

Vegetarian Cheesecake ?

And while I'm thinking of it....have you found any really tasty good apples so far this year? Either my 'taster' is really out of whack...or they just aren't as tasty this year. (and the ones that are sorta ok, are HUGE) Nobody needs to eat an apple that weighs nearly a pound!
    I'm sure I (we) will enjoy the cookies. J is in there now threatening to open the almond cookies and if he does I may have to buy another box and hide it until Thanksgiving. I don't think he'll be so anxious to open the butter cookies and KNOW he won't open the spice cookies, as he doesn't care for them at all.

I did see some chocolate chip pannetone, in the seasonal aisle, but didn't see any regular (fruit) pannetone at my Aldi. Don't recall really looking at the stuff at the checkout though. I love the fruit pannetone but, despite loving chocolate, am not particularly fond of the chocolate chip pannetone, and didn't buy that.

If I go back and see some regular (fruit) pannetone at the counter it will be all your fault that I buy some! LOL.
    For me it always Fruit Pannetone.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday! 6 degrees out there (43 F) with an expected high of 18 (64 F) and 0% chance of precipitation.

The cats (well, Lilo) did their level best to get me out of bed before 5:00 but I managed to snooze a bit more until about 10 after 5. Dinah is now crying for breakfast but even by the old time she's about an hour early. This is normal behavior for Dinah. She always starts calling for it early. Going to try to push it back a little bit today, so they won't be expecting it or asking for it quite this early. Same, of course, for waking me up, which will, hopefully, be pushed back a little each day. This involves getting Lilo out of my face and onto the floor, sometimes repeatedly, until I am willing to get out of bed. It's kind of like pushing the snooze alarm on Lilo. LOL.

Hopefully nothing on the agenda for today, other than getting the garbage and recycles out to the curb and scooping the liter boxes. I do want a nap, as I didn't get much of one yesterday.

• RogerToo
    Hi! Sat. 11.3.18
    Pretty outside, nice and bright sunny day. Leaves have begun to turn to gold on the biggest maple...They will do a 50% drop next week...not looking forward to that...but will enjoy being 'justified' by the large amount of leaves there are!!

Roger, no the Peanut butter cups were not from what is somewhere in this house...I bought one pkg, of 2 cups, so I didn't 'grieve' over not having at least one this Halloween. And while I'm thinking of it....have you found any really tasty good apples so far this year? Either my 'taster' is really out of whack...or they just aren't as tasty this year. (and the ones that are sorta ok, are HUGE) Nobody needs to eat an apple that weighs nearly a pound!
    Ted called. He's going to Stick and basket with me tomorrow afternoon...you know LAX.. ok, LaCrosse...last game of the season. :p

This morning I began putting summer clothes in storage. Weather bounces around so much down here that I never really put EVERYthing away for the winter...but most everything.

The foodie post with the little girl wanting 'scary' food..was cute. But its a rare child who would choose Spagh. and Meatballs over Ice cream and cake pops!!! Good for her though!

OK, nap time...
    Hi Valerie
    Looking at the tree across the street it has few leaves left, 95% fell from the rain and wind as I see it, Oh well.

I have not looked for or had an apple in a while, I am still using up the Wild Pears, I grab the ripest looking ones out of the drawer so that has helped prevent spoilage. My brother has been buying apples that are not monsters and he is happy with the taste FWIW.

Clothes rotation, hmm, I have pulled out the winter items and the summer ones are actually things I wear in the house FWIW.

Agreed who needs huge apples except the growers and the stores. Since Apples are sold by the pound and the stores know that You will buy individual apples for family members that works for them :(

Have a Nice Day
  • parityanimal

Vegetarian Cheesecake ?

Most baked cheesecake is vegetarian, though, obviously, not VEGAN.

Some do have gelatin added as an additional stabilizer, but this is much more common in the no-bake varieties, which, while tasty, do not count as REAL cheesecake to me.

I always read the ingredient list. Agar or even guar gum can be used instead of gelatin in the no-bake cheesecakes but it does seem that most have gelatin. I guess it's cheaper, or what they are used to (and know how to use) or a bit of both.

• parityanimal
    I have found a few small, tasty, HoneyCrisp apples at Ingles but have noticed the same thing as Val, that most of the apples seem to be MEGA APPLES that look like apples on steroids, the size of Grapefruit. I can't eat an apple that big without feeling stuffed and spiking my blood sugar levels badly. I guess I could make fried or stewed apples and eat it in smaller portions that way...but I usually prefer to just eat an apple as an apple and what I need for that is about tennis ball sized fruit, maybe a tad larger. It can be very difficult to find.