Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,212 Member
    While I somewhat agree with Mr. Wolfe's assessment of the taste and enjoyability of this particular frozen dinner, I believe if I had to have this as my one and only Thanksgiving dinner I'd have to at least properly plate it so that it doesn't look so depressing. Otherwise I might have to call the men in the white coats to come and get me after dinner. Oh, and I'd also probably eat two of them, as that's not a whole lot of food for Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving dinner should not be eaten out of a paper tray, but should be presented properly with a nice place setting, to maximize the enjoyment of the meal. Presentation IS important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-EBr_yayo0
  • parityanimal
    Some people have tamales for Christmas (or maybe Thanksgiving too?) and some people have lasagna for Thanksgiving. Maybe for Christmas too. I know one couple who usually have roast beef for Christmas. Whatever rings your holiday chimes, right?

Well, if you DO want lasagna for your holiday meal, it doesn't have to be so carb laden with the noodles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2h3w2CVAOY
  • parityanimal
    And for a somewhat more gourmet version of the inevitable green bean casserole (it looks and sounds delicious!) we have Chef John giving us a delightful sounding version. A bit more work, but possibly well worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRLaPXLjK4w
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    edited November 2018
    Really, really quick HELLO!!! 11-12-18
    I came in here to my little desk area, which is sufficiently cluttered, as if to say something/someone important works long hours here....Nope, just little ole me! (yes, I digressed )
    Started going thru mail, found an interesting pod cast. Listened for half hour, and so pumped over a 'Cauliflower - Pumpkin Curry', that I've printed it, and heading to the kitchen to make lunch. No, I haven't even had breakfast yet...but I DID drink my coffee :)
    As an aside while presenting the recipe, this Dietician, Lee Crosby, mentioned that she used roasted cauliflower florets...well, guess who did all that roasting over the weekend, and still has a lot of cauliflower???? Also she did a bit of info about what's really in a can of 'Pumpkin', and how to get 100% real pumpkin...back to that later....

And Tom E. Cat is alive and well...I pretty much expected him to be dead this morning. again To Be Continued...

Later.....
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hi, still trying to catch up.
    My dinner tonite was tasty...I just 'made it up' from what was already in the refrigerator! Was tasty! I meant to steam some cabbage today, but I really don't need it so will do that later in the week.
    Ed, I hope you're not in the flood areas. I'm hi and dry here...I mean the house is..its rained all danged day. And the flood warning goes on til some time tomorrow. I have to go out at noon thirty for an appointment...not thrilled, but gotta go.
    Oh, great. News/weather on TV. Rain is still 100% tomorrow, and now its 70% Wednesday and 60% Thursday. Boy, am I looking forward to FRIDAY!!!

Roger, some things freeze better than others, and this is not one of the good kind. Don't know why, and I'm pretty sure I can make it cheaper at home, and hopefully less fat than what I get at WF.

Ed, slowly I am going all LED too, and like you Daylight. The warm is just not 'light' enough to suit me. Rather depressing light if you ask me. I especially like the white light in the kitchen!

Waiting to hear from my little brother...he had snow over the weekend, and an old friend of mine has moved to St. Louis, and posted pix of snow where he works... The Local STL Fox TV station came on live on fb, and from what I could see of the maps...my brother, who's more in the center or NE part of the state, is getting snow again. Know why I live in GA???? LOL!

About Tom E. Yesterday he let Ted pet him...twice!! Ted is now the only other person he would tolerate. And he was especially 'sweet', for a crusty ole cat...and I woke wondering if he knew he was going to be going over the bridge...But, not so. He is being nicer, but same ole Tom E. I'm glad...as much as I fuss about him, when he is gone I will really miss him. Little pest. LOL!

Ok, I'm going to catch up on some video's soon as the national news is over.

Later...

• GardenKatGardens
    Oh, Pumpkin...is a squash cousin..or maybe even sibling...anyhow, the talk was on what is REALLY in your can of pumpkin puree. One company IS 100% real pumpkin, and only pumpkin. Seems as though they grow their own pumpkins....Its Libby. So next time your in the grocery just sing the Libby, libby, libby song to yourself. Or out loud if you feel like it!

Well heck...Roger you're close to Philly...and snow and/or flooding...you and your brother stay dry and safe. Take a walking day off if need be tomorrow.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    qScueF.gif

xPxAzy.gif

oT87GA.jpg

w6xOxF.gif

J3TwPI.jpg

G7jTGd.gif

GRBYAL.jpg

Vw4WKF.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and No Money found. The Temperature out the door was 45 degrees. The rain in the forecast made its predicted appearance on schedule. It is supposed to be gone before noon.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6375329/Scorched-earth-space-Stunning-satellite-images-brutal-path-California-wildfires.html
    Scorched earth from space: Stunning satellite images show brutal path of California wildfires

https://www.fastcompany.com/90265536/report-id-thieves-are-exploiting-usps-mail-scanning-service-secret-service-warns
    ID thieves are exploiting USPS mail-scanning service, Secret Service warns

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/you-may-be-surprised-by-the-most-popular-halloween_us_59e10b5ce4b02e99c5835624
    You May Be Surprised By The Most Popular Halloween Candy In Your State

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous murky Monday! 4C/40F with an expected high of 8C/45F and a personally verified 100% chance of rain. I hope Ted was able to get all of Val's leaves cleaned up!

Need to get yesterday's cat bowls cleaned up and feed the cats. And rainy days are GREAT for napping so hope to get some of that in too. :)

We do have some very hot "plant light" tubes on a rack where we can hang plants if we need to, but we hope to not have to use that set. I replaced the bulbs in the main garage light with two 100 watt equivalent daylight LED bulbs to save power and still provide plenty of daylight for the plants that are currently in there. The old bulbs were/are soft white LED bulbs at the same equivalence, and can be used elsewhere if needed prior to Spring and warmer weather.

We're trying to change over to LED where possible. Right now the zen penguin room (aka sunroom) at back has 4 60 watt equivalent daylight fluorescent bulbs in the ceiling fan, but we plan to transition those into LED as they burn out. The kitchen ceiling fan has two 60 watt equivalent soft white fluorescent and (for the couple of plants in there) two 60 watt equivalent daylight LED bulbs so it looks a little unbalanced but eventually it will be all LED and all daylight, as I prefer that myself in the winter anyway, since I don't get much sunlight and daylight or full spectrum bulbs help keep the winter blues away somewhat.
    Hi Ed
    The rain was supposed to start before midnight so I shall call it a 100% chance of rain for Monday and Tuesday.

Interesting that You can get LED tubes to replace the older type Fluorescent lamps. I wonder, I would have thought that You could get Fixtures equipped with LED lamps. Since the voltages involved are way different I wonder how the electronics in the LED replacements stay cool enough in a closed fixture. I do not plan to switch before the old bulbs die either. The Thing I have not decided on yet is keep using up the unused CFL lamps in the cupboard before buying more LED bulbs. We have a couple of them that were bought on sale. My suspicion is that I shall use LED bulbs where the lights are on a lot of the time such as in the Kitchen, CFLs in the bathrooms would seem to work for me. Hmm... I should LED the basement computer room since the lights are on a fair amount of time.
    Ramen Three ways
    I have seen it used many ways, I wonder if the video shows something new to me.
    While I somewhat agree with Mr. Wolfe's assessment of the taste and enjoyability of this particular frozen dinner, I believe if I had to have this as my one and only Thanksgiving dinner I'd have to at least properly plate it so that it doesn't look so depressing. Otherwise I might have to call the men in the white coats to come and get me after dinner. Oh, and I'd also probably eat two of them, as that's not a whole lot of food for Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving dinner should not be eaten out of a paper tray, but should be presented properly with a nice place setting, to maximize the enjoyment of the meal. Presentation IS important.
    I am not sure how You could make the Turkey Loaf look presentable. It looks to me like Turkey chunks glued together with meat glue. Add in the Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing, gravy and a Apple Cranberry desert and there is no way that is a low carb meal. Before I bought that I would likely buy a 1/2 Roasted Turkey Breast from the ShopRite grocery Store and Maybe Stove Top Stuffing :)

The Turkey looks a lot like the turkey in the NS non refrigerated Turkey with stuffing. Choice of Vegetable up to the person eating it.
    Some people have tamales for Christmas (or maybe Thanksgiving too?) and some people have lasagna for Thanksgiving. Maybe for Christmas too. I know one couple who usually have roast beef for Christmas. Whatever rings your holiday chimes, right?

Well, if you DO want lasagna for your holiday meal, it doesn't have to be so carb laden with the noodles...
    Some Italian Families serve Lasagna with the Holiday meal.
    And for a somewhat more gourmet version of the inevitable green bean casserole (it looks and sounds delicious!) we have Chef John giving us a delightful sounding version. A bit more work, but possibly well worth it.
    If I said my brother does not care for the Classic Green Bean Casserole with the Crumbled Fried Onions on top.
    The Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe from Campbell's. BTW I suspect that You know this, however just in case, Green bean casserole creator Dorcas Reilly dies at 92.

As usual the videos are ready to view in tabs later.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Really, really quick HELLO!!! 11-12-18
    I came in here to my little desk area, which is sufficiently cluttered, as if to say something/someone important works long hours here....Nope, just little ole me! (yes, I digressed )
    Started going thru mail, found an interesting pod cast. Listened for half hour, and so pumped over a 'Cauliflower - Pumpkin Curry', that I've printed it, and heading to the kitchen to make lunch. No, I haven't even had breakfast yet...but I DID drink my coffee :)
    As an aside while presenting the recipe, this Dietician, Lee Crosby, mentioned that she used roasted cauliflower florets...well, guess who did all that roasting over the weekend, and still has a lot of cauliflower???? Also she did a bit of info about what's really in a can of 'Pumpkin', and how to get 100% real pumpkin...back to that later....

And Tom E. Cat is alive and well...I pretty much expected him to be dead this morning. again To Be Continued...

Later.....
    Hi Valerie
    The only way I know of to have 100% Pumpkin is to make Your own :smiley:
    Hi, still trying to catch up.
    My dinner tonite was tasty...I just 'made it up' from what was already in the refrigerator! Was tasty! I meant to steam some cabbage today, but I really don't need it so will do that later in the week.
    Ed, I hope you're not in the flood areas. I'm hi and dry here...I mean the house is..its rained all danged day. And the flood warning goes on til some time tomorrow. I have to go out at noon thirty for an appointment...not thrilled, but gotta go.
    Oh, great. News/weather on TV. Rain is still 100% tomorrow, and now its 70% Wednesday and 60% Thursday. Boy, am I looking forward to FRIDAY!!!

Roger, some things freeze better than others, and this is not one of the good kind. Don't know why, and I'm pretty sure I can make it cheaper at home, and hopefully less fat than what I get at WF.

Ed, slowly I am going all LED too, and like you Daylight. The warm is just not 'light' enough to suit me. Rather depressing light if you ask me. I especially like the white light in the kitchen!
    To much rain in my weather forecast too. I hope Your drive to the appointment goes well and speedily.

I do wonder if LED lighting is associated with problems as are video displays.
    https://www.preventblindness.org/blue-light-and-your-eyes

Blue Light and Your Eyes

Current understanding of the effects of blue light from digital device screens on your sight or your child's sight
    Waiting to hear from my little brother...he had snow over the weekend, and an old friend of mine has moved to St. Louis, and posted pix of snow where he works... The Local STL Fox TV station came on live on fb, and from what I could see of the maps...my brother, who's more in the center or NE part of the state, is getting snow again. Know why I live in GA???? LOL!

About Tom E. Yesterday he let Ted pet him...twice!! Ted is now the only other person he would tolerate. And he was especially 'sweet', for a crusty ole cat...and I woke wondering if he knew he was going to be going over the bridge...But, not so. He is being nicer, but same ole Tom E. I'm glad...as much as I fuss about him, when he is gone I will really miss him. Little pest. LOL!

Ok, I'm going to catch up on some video's soon as the national news is over.

Later...
    Snow is a four letter curse word in my vocabulary :wink:

Good Luck with the cat.
    Oh, Pumpkin...is a squash cousin..or maybe even sibling...anyhow, the talk was on what is REALLY in your can of pumpkin puree. One company IS 100% real pumpkin, and only pumpkin. Seems as though they grow their own pumpkins....Its Libby. So next time your in the grocery just sing the Libby, libby, libby song to yourself. Or out loud if you feel like it!

Well heck...Roger you're close to Philly...and snow and/or flooding...you and your brother stay dry and safe. Take a walking day off if need be tomorrow.
    I had heard and forgotten that many Pumpkin pie filling cans use squash too.

Sweet potato pie tastes a lot like pumpkin pie also. Libby has been around as long as I have if my memory has not failed me.

The rain although steady was not super heavy while I was out walking, So far so good, Too warm around here for snow, Yesterday the cars and grass were all covered with frost.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    9C/48F with an expected high of 11C/51F and 60% chance of precipitation.

Need to get yesterday's cat bowls cleaned up and feed the cats. And I need to go and get my new eye glasses, as they were ready yesterday afternoon but I wasn't going to get out in rainy, after school traffic to pick them up. I'll get out this morning, after rush hour is all over.

A nap didn't happen yesterday, as we ended up having issues with Oliver and an emergency vet visit. It looks like he may (quite likely) have FIP and if he does, then we may not have him with us too much longer. They drained a lot of fluid out of his chest and he's breathing more easily now, and had his appetite back after the vet visit. The bloodwork supported the probable diagnosis but we're waiting on the results of the lab work on the aspirated fluid. Meanwhile, the doctor is also researching to see if there are any real treatments that may have been devised since her last case of it. She said she lost one of her own cats to FIP and if it IS that, there haven't been, up to now, any effective treatments and it's at least 95% fatal, usually over a fairly short time frame.

There is a small chance that it might be some other health issue but for now we're not holding out a lot of hope on that. He's such a sweet kitten. For the moment we are expecting the worst but still holding out that tiny thread of hope for the best.

If we lose Oliver, we WILL be getting another cat (or kitten) but it may be some time before we do. Perhaps not until next calendar year, what with J's work load and the holidays and all. Then again, a Christmas kitty could be cool...but maybe we won't even have to worry about that.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Keto bacon cauliflower "mac" and cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iQ-Rb1ohDU
  • parityanimal
    If you could turn back time...to the 1950's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_QaVAKjG2E
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2018
    New glasses picked up! And here's my new look...

0kio5ig71bl3.jpg

Oh, wait, that's how I WISH I looked, sometimes...especially on Halloween. :)

Here's my new look.

22fxjmwcq705.png

I'll try to remember to update my profile photo on here in a day or two. :)
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hi!
    Ed, I like the new look..very nice! Really like the frames. Looks good on you!

Just now getting to eat my dinner. Rice and gravy with carrot, mushroom and onion. Good healthy sprinkle of Nutritional Yeast, and what was left of the curried cauliflower. Looks pretty 'plain' but tastes good!

Roger IMO Snow has always been a dirty word!! Right along with sleet, ice, (especially black ice), and any other words meaning, cold, and difficult driving.

Managed to get out today and back pretty dry. So I was feeling pretty perky...then I realized I'd forgotten to pick up cat food....back out again. Hate days when I do that. Anything else, and I wouldn't have gone back out..but, Tom E.'s gotta eat!

Ed, I will hang on that thread of hope that Oliver doesn't have FIP right along with you. And that explains the 3 olive martini yesterday. I was concerned then...I knew it had to be something pretty big..never even entered my mind that it was Oliver. Hoping for the very best outcome.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2018
    I had to get back out for cat food today too, as I forgot to get it while out getting the spectacles. Oliver's breathing today isn't great and neither is his appetite. At this point I am not expecting good news tomorrow from the vet, and honestly have doubts as to whether he'll even last out another week or two. :( But we will still hang on. Where there is life, there is hope, or so they say. Sometimes I think they are full of crap though.

Oliver has 5 days worth of canned cat food left, except that he didn't eat but half of his canned food today and wasn't too interested in treats this evening. I am feeling very sad at the moment. Normally I'd have been buying more canned kitten food too, and I even briefly looked at that at the pet store but realistically doubt he'll eat what we have. Maybe if he seems to have any appetite tomorrow I'll go out in the rain and get a can of fish flavor to see if that stimulates his appetite.

• RogerToo
    edited November 2018
    K5UzrB.gif
    Ready Set Go or maybe not

rgNeLI.gif

mzCGvr.gif
    Oh so True !

2OjVun.gif

T3wNIf.gif

cjshBv.gif

wRQWmL.gif

TuF3sw.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and still No Money found. The Temperature out the door was 36 degrees. There in rain in the forecast for Tuesday afternoon into Friday. The forecast is for the northern half of NJ to start as a wet snow and rain in the southern part. The Snow is supposed to turn to rain at some point.

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/1-million-Americans-live-in-RVs-Meet-the-modern-13383991.php
    1 million Americans live in RVs. Meet the 'modern nomads.'

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/kansas-city-health-department-pours-bleach-on-food-meant-for-homeless-people
    Kansas City Health Department pours bleach on food meant for homeless people

https://www.studyfinds.org/thankful-black-friday-average-consumer-spend-520/
    Thankful For Black Friday: Average Consumer To Spend $520 On Deals

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/well/live/too-much-caffeine-may-stress-the-heart.html
    Too Much Caffeine May Stress the Heart
    In moderate doses caffeine has mainly positive effects for most people. But it increases production of cortisol, which can lead to health problems including anxiety, weight gain and heart disease.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger