Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,212 Member
    dzjtxbj12ym7.png
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    edited November 2018
    Good morning! Saturday 11-17-2018
    Sunny out, tricky Tom E.
    Laundry
    Tea
    Leaves
    AND...Ed's cartoon about kittens!! I LOVE it! Intend to share.

I have been at this for over an hour. Keep either interrupting myself, or being interrupted!
    I have an album of acoustical instruments playing on Spotify, and I can't decide it I like it, or if its just annoying!
    I'll work on that decision later.

Tom E. has discovered that 'sometimes' he can open doors...and so today while I was in my bedroom (having already fed him,) he let himself in. I did not see him come in, but I did notice the door was about 6 inches open, and I KNEW he was in...probably under my bed. So I left, and securely closed the door. I let him 'stew' in his now self imposed 'jail' for about half an hour. Heard no cries for help/release. But let him out regardless. OH, Just saw a HAWK come down rapidly...I couldn't see his destination..don't know if some little creature became breakfast or not) Back to Tom. E. He stayed in the hallway, so I invited him outdoors, and he surely jumped at the opportunity! Crazy Dumb Cat! (who I suspect is smarter than I realize, sometimes)

Need to start a load of dark clothes...

I made some really horrible tea yesterday...I combined 2 different tea bags of 'Rose' tea..one from an unfamiliar company, and the other Rose Pink Tea (for the cure) from The Republic of Tea, ..couldn't drink that combo. So this morning I've made just the familiarRose Tea from TRT, and it is tasty...meaning that other box of tea is going into the trash next trip I make thru the kitchen...Yuck!

My neighbor blew about 85% of my leaves yesterday...will have to check with Ted, he may want to pass on his lawn duties tomorrow. ??? maybe???

Now, about the little 'cat' ditty that Ed just posted a bit ago!! I've read, and sung in my head, that tune and I find it hilariously true! Sending it to Ted for his 'Caterday' post.

Need to get a few more steps in, to make my 250 steps this hour.
    DId I think to tell you that I've solved the Fitbit issue? Take it off of my wrist when I go into a store where you need a shopping cart...slip it into my pocket, and it will/does record your/my steps!!!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2018
    This is Orion. He is an 8 month old long haired kitten and has come to live with us furever.

Why Orion when we usually name our cats after Disney characters?

Orion is the name he came with, and it is a cool name, and it fits him, so he gets to keep it.

And...it IS a Disney name, barely. Orion was featured in one episode of Disney's Hercules television series.

14x7xbd8pmf1.png
  • GardenKatGardens
    Oh!!! A little black kitty!! I LOVE black cats. I take it he's in quarantine for his own protection?? Hopefully the others will take to him in short order so they can all play and be silly!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Oh!!! A little black kitty!! I LOVE black cats. I take it he's in quarantine for his own protection?? Hopefully the others will take to him in short order so they can all play and be silly!

Later...

He's in quarantine for everyone's protection. We always keep them separate for at least a week (though our vet recommends two weeks) and usually allow the new one to wander some, supervised, while the rest are locked in a bedroom. Then they get to come out and smell that he has wandered, though they don't get to officially meet right away.

But Orion recently had some ringworm and has been with other cats who had some. He doesn't seem to have a problem right now, but there could be some on his fur and we don't want an outbreak of that, even though it is easily treated with anti-fungal sprays, creams, or lotions. I wash my hands if I've been in there petting him. He's not coming out of his hidey hole much yet, but I did go in and ensure that he is aware of the food. I think the filtered running water fountain might be making him a little nervous too but I'm sure when he gets thirsty he'll drink some.

I know he ate a little of the canned food I gave him because I held the dish right in front of the hidey hole and he stuck his head out to eat some. :)

He has a kitty bed, a single story "cat condo" as a hidey hole, so he can feel secure, two cat toys that the other cats have played with a lot, his magic food dish (which isn't doing its magic yet, but I did make sure to hold him near it long enough to program his chip into it) and his water fountain. Tomorrow, perhaps, I'll set the magic food bowl to be just a teensy bit closed so he can start getting used to the movement of the plastic cover when it slides back that teensy bit. It usually takes only a few days to get a new kitty trained to use the magic food bowl, though it may take longer for them to fully understand that only ONE food bowl will open for them, so they might as well leave the others alone. LOL.

Oh, and he has a litter box, of course. I imagine that even though he's been lurking in his hidey hole most of the afternoon and evening, he'll probably come out some for food, water, litter box, and perhaps to play with the toys. He sniffed at the toys when he stuck his head out. I put them right near the entrance hole to the kitty condo.

He just hasn't yet realized that it's safe to come out and move around in "his" room because he doesn't know that it's "his" room yet and that nothing in there is going to hurt him.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    bkzsPv.jpg

wHsdX9.gif

3E2YW0.jpg

Ni5DEd.gif

q6Z5XQ.png

qbKwmd.gif
    Yup

LXmd4z.jpg

LxLNCG.gif

• RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and 10 cents found breaking a streak of nothing found. The Temperature out the door was 36 degrees.

Creepy IMO.
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90269076/facebook-can-now-tell-who-you-live-with-based-on-your-pictures-and-captions
    Facebook can now tell who you live with based on your pictures and captions

Scary
    https://www.businessinsider.com/venezuela-id-card-tracks-citizens-like-china-2018-11
    Venezuela is rolling out a new ID card manufactured in China that can track, reward, and punish citizens

He isn't to blame for anything he touches that goes wrong, so he says, I disagree :(
    http://www.fox5ny.com/news/nj-gov-don-t-blame-me-for-the-mess
    New Jersey governor: Don't blame me for storm response

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/16/hackers-will-take-down-the-internet-in-2019-tech-security-firm-warns-8147329/?ito=cbshare
    Hackers will ‘take down the internet in 2019’, tech security firm predicts

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/torpy-large-atlanta-garbage-crews-sick-being-treated-like-trash/FJ6ff0bMIdLORMXoDhL32M/
    Torpy at Large: Atlanta garbage crews sick of being treated like trash
    Their on-the-job death rate exceeds that of police officers, but their pay is in the dumps

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6397621/Why-536-AD-worst-year-alive.html
    Why 536 AD was the worst year to be alive: Volcanic eruption that blocked out the sun for 18 months causing crop failures and widespread famine was the worst global disaster in history

Duh :)
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-11-low-carb-diets-people-calories.html?utm_source=tabs&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=story-tabs
    Low-carb diets cause people to burn more calories

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday!

2C/35F with an expected high of 17C/62F and 0% chance of precipitation.

I was up way past pumpkin time last night (I turn into a pumpkin at midnight) because we had a friend over for pizza and a movie and we just ran really late. It was after 1:00 before I got to bed, but Lilo still wanted to get up at 6:00. I think S was really more concerned about whether we were doing OK after losing Oliver so suddenly and we did talk about that a bit at first but then steered the conversation toward happier things. Then S had 2 1/2 vodka martinis, complementing me on my mixology skills, and he got really happy. I had probably somewhat less, and am more used to hard liquor now and then, and finished off the half that he didn't drink. We made sure after that that he was here long enough and ate enough pizza and cookies to be OK to drive home. I went to bed shortly after he left but J was staying up for a bit and S was supposed to text him when he got home to his cats.

Might try to get in a bit more sleep when I finish my tea, if I can.
    Hello Ed
    Naturally the cat is on its own schedule and could care less if You got to bed late. I suspect that my brother and I are some of the few that rarely drink.
    Fried pillows of bread - a new Mexican staple? They're not new to me, and they had me at BREAD anyway. LOL.
    Those did not look that tasty to me, Churros on the other hand are tasty and many of the sweet Mexican Breads and pastries too.
    Thanksgiving sides with a twist.
    Being a traditionalist I prefer foods that are done traditionally and not with a twist.
    Chefs review more kitchen gadgets.
    How many Kitchen gadgets can the average homeowner use ? We are already short of counter and storage space.
    Blind frozen pizza taste testing.
    This one shall be the first I watch as I do not buy them excluding the NS three Frozen and two Non refrigerated ones. However I am curious. I should correct that slightly, I did try the frozen Pizzas from the Dollar Tree, Not that good TBH.
    dzjtxbj12ym7.png
    I have no doubt that is so True
    This is Orion. He is an 8 month old long haired kitten and has come to live with us furever.

Why Orion when we usually name our cats after Disney characters?

Orion is the name he came with, and it is a cool name, and it fits him, so he gets to keep it.

And...it IS a Disney name, barely. Orion was featured in one episode of Disney's Hercules television series.

14x7xbd8pmf1.png
    Wow, that was quick :smiley:

Later...

He's in quarantine for everyone's protection. We always keep them separate for at least a week (though our vet recommends two weeks) and usually allow the new one to wander some, supervised, while the rest are locked in a bedroom. Then they get to come out and smell that he has wandered, though they don't get to officially meet right away.

But Orion recently had some ringworm and has been with other cats who had some. He doesn't seem to have a problem right now, but there could be some on his fur and we don't want an outbreak of that, even though it is easily treated with anti-fungal sprays, creams, or lotions. I wash my hands if I've been in there petting him. He's not coming out of his hidey hole much yet, but I did go in and ensure that he is aware of the food. I think the filtered running water fountain might be making him a little nervous too but I'm sure when he gets thirsty he'll drink some.

I know he ate a little of the canned food I gave him because I held the dish right in front of the hidey hole and he stuck his head out to eat some. :)

He has a kitty bed, a single story "cat condo" as a hidey hole, so he can feel secure, two cat toys that the other cats have played with a lot, his magic food dish (which isn't doing its magic yet, but I did make sure to hold him near it long enough to program his chip into it) and his water fountain. Tomorrow, perhaps, I'll set the magic food bowl to be just a teensy bit closed so he can start getting used to the movement of the plastic cover when it slides back that teensy bit. It usually takes only a few days to get a new kitty trained to use the magic food bowl, though it may take longer for them to fully understand that only ONE food bowl will open for them, so they might as well leave the others alone. LOL.

Oh, and he has a litter box, of course. I imagine that even though he's been lurking in his hidey hole most of the afternoon and evening, he'll probably come out some for food, water, litter box, and perhaps to play with the toys. He sniffed at the toys when he stuck his head out. I put them right near the entrance hole to the kitty condo.

He just hasn't yet realized that it's safe to come out and move around in "his" room because he doesn't know that it's "his" room yet and that nothing in there is going to hurt him.
    Yup, You do not want ringworm in the house.
    I do not recall You mentioning a Filtered running water fountain, Did I miss it ?
    Never having had cats do they need to be litter box training.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good morning! Saturday 11-17-2018
    Sunny out, tricky Tom E.
    Laundry
    Tea
    Leaves
    AND...Ed's cartoon about kittens!! I LOVE it! Intend to share.

I have been at this for over an hour. Keep either interrupting myself, or being interrupted!
    I have an album of acoustical instruments playing on Spotify, and I can't decide it I like it, or if its just annoying!
    I'll work on that decision later.

Tom E. has discovered that 'sometimes' he can open doors...and so today while I was in my bedroom (having already fed him,) he let himself in. I did not see him come in, but I did notice the door was about 6 inches open, and I KNEW he was in...probably under my bed. So I left, and securely closed the door. I let him 'stew' in his now self imposed 'jail' for about half an hour. Heard no cries for help/release. But let him out regardless. OH, Just saw a HAWK come down rapidly...I couldn't see his destination..don't know if some little creature became breakfast or not) Back to Tom. E. He stayed in the hallway, so I invited him outdoors, and he surely jumped at the opportunity! Crazy Dumb Cat! (who I suspect is smarter than I realize, sometimes)
    Hello Valerie
    I have a simple solution to whether or not if I like some music. If I can't make up my mind I pass on it.

I'm guessing that the door Your cat opened had not latched ?

If You saw a hawk swoop down, IMO they rarely miss considering their eyesight.
    Need to start a load of dark clothes...

I made some really horrible tea yesterday...I combined 2 different tea bags of 'Rose' tea..one from an unfamiliar company, and the other Rose Pink Tea (for the cure) from The Republic of Tea, ..couldn't drink that combo. So this morning I've made just the familiarRose Tea from TRT, and it is tasty...meaning that other box of tea is going into the trash next trip I make thru the kitchen...Yuck!

My neighbor blew about 85% of my leaves yesterday...will have to check with Ted, he may want to pass on his lawn duties tomorrow. ??? maybe???

Now, about the little 'cat' ditty that Ed just posted a bit ago!! I've read, and sung in my head, that tune and I find it hilariously true! Sending it to Ted for his 'Caterday' post.
    Could it be the combination of the two teas were terrible and that either one alone could be tasty.

Some people use a lawn blower and clean up afterwards and some just blow them elsewhere.
    Need to get a few more steps in, to make my 250 steps this hour.
    DId I think to tell you that I've solved the Fitbit issue? Take it off of my wrist when I go into a store where you need a shopping cart...slip it into my pocket, and it will/does record your/my steps!!!

Later...
    I thought I had mentioned that I never clip my FitBit Zip on and that it sits (Lives) in my pocket except when I have gone off to bed. It seems to record steps just fine that way and I do not have to remember to unclip it and transfer it all the time plus reaching in and pulling it out to see the time, steps and distance is easy. Otherwise I have to clip it to my waistline so it is right-side up when I look at it.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2018
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday! 3C/38F with an expected high of 17C/63F and no chance of precipitation.

Orion is still nervously cowering in his hidey hole for the most part but is much more responsive and asking for affection. He ate some of his food and drank a lot of water so we think he's settling in pretty well for the moment.

I need to clean yesterday's cat bowls and feed the cats. Might do some laundry today, and we have Orion's first visit to our veterinarian scheduled for this afternoon.
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Never having had cats do they need to be litter box training.

Good Luck
    Roger

Generally one just has to show the cat where the litter box is and the cat will use it.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2018
    Mr. Wolfe tries out Banquet's turkey dinner. Crappy Thanksgiving?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUSskR_Y6k0
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2018
    Mr. Wolfe tries out Boston Market's turkey dinner. Happy Thanksgiving?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg-7ZraGNko
  • parityanimal
    Weird foods people used to eat for Thanksgiving. I wonder how many of them people still eat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f_S1BKawK0
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2018
    ITS, not IT'S! Sheesh, why do so many people get this wrong?

4mmfnv6ari18.png
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hi...Happy Sunday...Nov.18, 2018
    I'm finally getting to eat my lunch...I know what time it is..., Ted came out, brought a pair of jeans that were too long in the leg, and after he set my sewing machine up on the other portion of my desk that is not busy with printer, papers, and general junk, I was able to shorten them for him. (aren't Mom's nice?) While I did that he got up the few leafy areas, and then started on the kitchen side yard's brambles. So he's got a new pair of jeans to wear, and I have a hefty start on yard cleanup. Works for me.

You know, I kept Tom E and his sibs on the porch for awhile, Mom (Silky) could some and go thru the hole I cut in the screen. (I know, I'm an idiot)...and my concern was kitty potty. So I got a cheap good sized oblong baking pan, and filled it with litter...and the little guys went right to using it. I was amazed.

I don't doubt the hawk got his prey Roger, I just couldn't see where or what it was. I'm curious like that.

Ted said he ran over a snake and there was about a 4 inch piece of it on the garage side of the house....could be, I looked and couldn't find it. Hope it wasn't a 'good' snake like a black snake or an Eastern Garter, on the other hand I hope to heavens it wasn't a copper head or rattler either!!! I've yet to see either, ever in the wild. Hope to not make their acquaintance ever also!

And....again this weekend, Tom E. let Ted pet him! WOW, and Tom was outside and the garage door was up, I was trying to get Tom E to come eat his breakfast...but Ted walked out the garage door, and Tom E. followed him, at a 'respectful' distance. When Ted started working on the shrubs, Tom E decided Ted was OK, and he could come into the house to eat! This really is one weird cat.

Ok, its so nice outside I think I am going to ignore the inside right now, and go back out to work on a few more brambles.

Ed, next time you're in with Orion, give him a love or two from 'Aunt Valerie' :) Or better yet, Aunt Carrot. I get the biggest tickle...a lot of these seminars, etc are sign in, and watch. But usually they generate an email (sometimes more) giving you a link to the video's, etc. So GardenKats email comes saying 'Dear Carrot," Just cracks me up. I have several other 'names'...mostly vegetables. Things that are obviously not real. AI has a way to go yet. LOL!!

Later...

• parityanimal
    Hi...Happy Sunday...Nov.18, 2018
    I'm finally getting to eat my lunch...I know what time it is..., Ted came out, brought a pair of jeans that were too long in the leg, and after he set my sewing machine up on the other portion of my desk that is not busy with printer, papers, and general junk, I was able to shorten them for him. (aren't Mom's nice?) While I did that he got up the few leafy areas, and then started on the kitchen side yard's brambles. So he's got a new pair of jeans to wear, and I have a hefty start on yard cleanup. Works for me.

You know, I kept Tom E and his sibs on the porch for awhile, Mom (Silky) could some and go thru the hole I cut in the screen. (I know, I'm an idiot)...and my concern was kitty potty. So I got a cheap good sized oblong baking pan, and filled it with litter...and the little guys went right to using it. I was amazed.

I don't doubt the hawk got his prey Roger, I just couldn't see where or what it was. I'm curious like that.

Ted said he ran over a snake and there was about a 4 inch piece of it on the garage side of the house....could be, I looked and couldn't find it. Hope it wasn't a 'good' snake like a black snake or an Eastern Garter, on the other hand I hope to heavens it wasn't a copper head or rattler either!!! I've yet to see either, ever in the wild. Hope to not make their acquaintance ever also!

And....again this weekend, Tom E. let Ted pet him! WOW, and Tom was outside and the garage door was up, I was trying to get Tom E to come eat his breakfast...but Ted walked out the garage door, and Tom E. followed him, at a 'respectful' distance. When Ted started working on the shrubs, Tom E decided Ted was OK, and he could come into the house to eat! This really is one weird cat.

Ok, its so nice outside I think I am going to ignore the inside right now, and go back out to work on a few more brambles.

Ed, next time you're in with Orion, give him a love or two from 'Aunt Valerie' :) Or better yet, Aunt Carrot. I get the biggest tickle...a lot of these seminars, etc are sign in, and watch. But usually they generate an email (sometimes more) giving you a link to the video's, etc. So GardenKats email comes saying 'Dear Carrot," Just cracks me up. I have several other 'names'...mostly vegetables. Things that are obviously not real. AI has a way to go yet. LOL!!

Later...

You never know. Nowadays someone COULD name their child Carrot. One of my ex-employees commented that "ONION" was beautiful. She was referring to our new baby, Orion. I know it looks a lot like Onion when it's not all caps but really? ONION? If the cat had come to us named Onion, his name would now be Thackery Binx, or possibly Bagheera, but I think Thackery Binx would be the best fit.

Orion, though, as opposed to Onion, is a cool name and I was glad to be able to fit it into our scheme of Disney names that we just sort of fell into.

Our first cat, Twist, came to us named Twist and we didn't bother to re-name her as that name seemed fine to us.

Next was Alice (One "Disney" name) and Sunnie (which might be a "Disney" name - I feel pretty sure there must have been a character named Sunnie (or Sunny - we had it spelled both ways on her paperwork) in some Disney feature or TV show.

When the black and white tuxedo cat adopted me from our apartment's parking lot, I offered to name him Sylvester, but J had a cat as a boy (tabby, not tuxedo) that had been named Sylvester so he nixed that and refused to provide any other name so I named him Figaro, after Gepetto's kitten in Disney's Pinnochio.

Then my sister transferred Lilo to us, because my sister's allergies wouldn't allow for cats living in the house, giving us 5 cats. Twist crossed the rainbow bridge after Jason transferred to the Atlanta office, but before either of us had moved here full time. Jason adopted Ariel (another Disney name already on the cat) from the Memphis animal shelter, so when we did move here full time the cats we signed up at the nearest vet were Alice, Sunnie, Figaro, Lilo, and Ariel.

One of the people at the front desk commented on all the Disney names and we just sort of decided (well, I did more than J - I don't think he really cares but he knows I find it fun) to continue with Disney names.

More cats crossed the rainbow bridge over the years and we went down from 5 to 2 eventually. Then Ariel developed lymphoma and fairly suddenly we were down to one lonely cat. Lilo.

So when we adopted DOOR NUMBER 3 from the Gwinnett county animal shelter, I named her Kiara after the lion princess in The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride. When we needed a young friend playmate for Kiara we adopted from a rescue group and they have to call their cats strange things just because they can't re-use the same name for x number of years or something and this particular batch was named after cheeses.

We weren't going to keep the tabbico cat's name that of a European cheese so I was looking at Disney names and J (surprise!) didn't want me to name this one an exotic Disney name and suggested a plain name, like Dinah. Well, Dinah was Alice's cat in Alice in Wonderland, so Dinah she is.

And even though Orion is just barely a Disney name, it works for me and we didn't have to rename him.

Oddly enough, our number two choice from the lot we looked at (and may still adopt if she's still available in a few months, but I really don't want to get back to 5) was named Jasmine. A Disney name. So we wouldn't have had to rename her either. They said that everyone seems to love Jasmine but no one ends up adopting her. Orion just seemed to need the adoption a tiny bit more and seemed to really need a new furever home, and loved to rub on us and beg for affection.
  • parityanimal
    Quite possibly one of the most honest road signs I've seen.

8xcxcegzc25c.png
  • RogerToo
    Tsy9gf.jpg

ykVAFx.gif

VfS657.jpg

8PNfqG.gif

R7dv5A.gif

WiVuL5.gif

PjIbn4.gif

GYNC74.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and no cents found. The Temperature out the door was 32 degrees.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/11/16/screams-of-terror-fill-philly-restaurant-after-stabbing-prank/
    Screams Of Terror Fill Philly Restaurant After Stabbing Prank

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6398085/Walking-backwards-boost-short-term-memory.html
    Walking backwards can boost your short-term memory, study suggests (but scientists have no idea why!)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/11/16/weight-lifting-better-heart-health-running-new-study-finds/
    Weight lifting better for heart health than running, new study finds

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/household-debt-hit-record-high-13-5-trillion-last-quarter-n937216
    Household debt hit a record high of $13.5 trillion last quarter
    Total household debt is now $837 billion higher than its previous peak, which was in 2008 before the recession.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger