Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited November 2018
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday! 3C/38F with an expected high of 17C/63F and no chance of precipitation.

Orion is still nervously cowering in his hidey hole for the most part but is much more responsive and asking for affection. He ate some of his food and drank a lot of water so we think he's settling in pretty well for the moment.

I need to clean yesterday's cat bowls and feed the cats. Might do some laundry today, and we have Orion's first visit to our veterinarian scheduled for this afternoon.
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Never having had cats do they need to be litter box training.

Good Luck
    Roger

Generally one just has to show the cat where the litter box is and the cat will use it.
    Hi Ed
    It would appear from the weather forecast that we are heading into a period of below normal temperatures with Thanksgiving day being the coldest.

Thanks for that information.
    Mr. Wolfe tries out Banquet's turkey dinner. Crappy Thanksgiving?
    I have already seen this one, 50 % more Turkey :smiley:
    Not to mention it looks like shredded Turkey glued together into a roll, not my favorite way to serve Turkey and the reason I am not a big fan of the Non refrigerated NS Turkey, Dressing and and Gravy. The Boston Market meal looks much better, Banquet has always been a economy foods brand.
    Mr. Wolfe tries out Boston Market's turkey dinner. Happy Thanksgiving?
    This one reminds me of the NS Turkey Medallions with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy after I add my 170 grams of frozen vegetables. I like the NS one. I shall be looking at this one especially to see how Mr. Wolfe rates it.
    Weird foods people used to eat for Thanksgiving. I wonder how many of them people still eat?
    I guess I shall know after watching, At first glance I thought it was a strawberry frosted donut :wink:
    ITS, not IT'S! Sheesh, why do so many people get this wrong?
    So True after looking the image again.
    You never know. Nowadays someone COULD name their child Carrot. One of my ex-employees commented that "ONION" was beautiful. She was referring to our new baby, Orion. I know it looks a lot like Onion when it's not all caps but really? ONION? If the cat had come to us named Onion, his name would now be Thackery Binx, or possibly Bagheera, but I think Thackery Binx would be the best fit.

Orion, though, as opposed to Onion, is a cool name and I was glad to be able to fit it into our scheme of Disney names that we just sort of fell into.

Our first cat, Twist, came to us named Twist and we didn't bother to re-name her as that name seemed fine to us.

Next was Alice (One "Disney" name) and Sunnie (which might be a "Disney" name - I feel pretty sure there must have been a character named Sunnie (or Sunny - we had it spelled both ways on her paperwork) in some Disney feature or TV show.

When the black and white tuxedo cat adopted me from our apartment's parking lot, I offered to name him Sylvester, but J had a cat as a boy (tabby, not tuxedo) that had been named Sylvester so he nixed that and refused to provide any other name so I named him Figaro, after Gepetto's kitten in Disney's Pinnochio.

Then my sister transferred Lilo to us, because my sister's allergies wouldn't allow for cats living in the house, giving us 5 cats. Twist crossed the rainbow bridge after Jason transferred to the Atlanta office, but before either of us had moved here full time. Jason adopted Ariel (another Disney name already on the cat) from the Memphis animal shelter, so when we did move here full time the cats we signed up at the nearest vet were Alice, Sunnie, Figaro, Lilo, and Ariel.

One of the people at the front desk commented on all the Disney names and we just sort of decided (well, I did more than J - I don't think he really cares but he knows I find it fun) to continue with Disney names.

More cats crossed the rainbow bridge over the years and we went down from 5 to 2 eventually. Then Ariel developed lymphoma and fairly suddenly we were down to one lonely cat. Lilo.

So when we adopted DOOR NUMBER 3 from the Gwinnett county animal shelter, I named her Kiara after the lion princess in The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride. When we needed a young friend playmate for Kiara we adopted from a rescue group and they have to call their cats strange things just because they can't re-use the same name for x number of years or something and this particular batch was named after cheeses.

We weren't going to keep the tabbico cat's name that of a European cheese so I was looking at Disney names and J (surprise!) didn't want me to name this one an exotic Disney name and suggested a plain name, like Dinah. Well, Dinah was Alice's cat in Alice in Wonderland, so Dinah she is.

And even though Orion is just barely a Disney name, it works for me and we didn't have to rename him.

Oddly enough, our number two choice from the lot we looked at (and may still adopt if she's still available in a few months, but I really don't want to get back to 5) was named Jasmine. A Disney name. So we wouldn't have had to rename her either. They said that everyone seems to love Jasmine but no one ends up adopting her. Orion just seemed to need the adoption a tiny bit more and seemed to really need a new furever home, and loved to rub on us and beg for affection.
    Why on earth would someone think a cat would be named Onion. Naming cats after cheeses, Weird :smiley:
    Quite possibly one of the most honest road signs I've seen.
    I could not agree more.

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi...Happy Sunday...Nov.18, 2018
    I'm finally getting to eat my lunch...I know what time it is..., Ted came out, brought a pair of jeans that were too long in the leg, and after he set my sewing machine up on the other portion of my desk that is not busy with printer, papers, and general junk, I was able to shorten them for him. (aren't Mom's nice?) While I did that he got up the few leafy areas, and then started on the kitchen side yard's brambles. So he's got a new pair of jeans to wear, and I have a hefty start on yard cleanup. Works for me.

You know, I kept Tom E and his sibs on the porch for awhile, Mom (Silky) could some and go thru the hole I cut in the screen. (I know, I'm an idiot)...and my concern was kitty potty. So I got a cheap good sized oblong baking pan, and filled it with litter...and the little guys went right to using it. I was amazed.

I don't doubt the hawk got his prey Roger, I just couldn't see where or what it was. I'm curious like that.

Ted said he ran over a snake and there was about a 4 inch piece of it on the garage side of the house....could be, I looked and couldn't find it. Hope it wasn't a 'good' snake like a black snake or an Eastern Garter, on the other hand I hope to heavens it wasn't a copper head or rattler either!!! I've yet to see either, ever in the wild. Hope to not make their acquaintance ever also!
    Hi Valerie
    The only way I could have someone shorten my pants for me would be to take it to a tailor, Oh well.

I did not recall You mentioning the mother, Hmm...
    Is my memory going or was that before I joined on the old NS forum ?

If I had to guess the Hawk got some type of Rodent such as a mouse, rat, squirrel or something else.
    And....again this weekend, Tom E. let Ted pet him! WOW, and Tom was outside and the garage door was up, I was trying to get Tom E to come eat his breakfast...but Ted walked out the garage door, and Tom E. followed him, at a 'respectful' distance. When Ted started working on the shrubs, Tom E decided Ted was OK, and he could come into the house to eat! This really is one weird cat.

Ok, its so nice outside I think I am going to ignore the inside right now, and go back out to work on a few more brambles.

Ed, next time you're in with Orion, give him a love or two from 'Aunt Valerie' :) Or better yet, Aunt Carrot. I get the biggest tickle...a lot of these seminars, etc are sign in, and watch. But usually they generate an email (sometimes more) giving you a link to the video's, etc. So Garden Kats email comes saying 'Dear Carrot," Just cracks me up. I have several other 'names'...mostly vegetables. Things that are obviously not real. AI has a way to go yet. LOL!!

Later...
    In some ways I think that most cats are weird, I could also be wrong.

Nice weather does call out for doing outside chores.

Do You also have several email addresses, I never bothered, OTOH I can set them up on my Cable Company ISP.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,212 Member
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 4C/41F with an expected high of 19C/65F and 0% chance of precipitation.

Need to clean yesterday's cat bowls and feed the cats, and I also need to fold the whites and towels and get the "regular" clothes into the dryer.

J needs to pick up a package and there was something else we needed to get out for (well, I need to get canned kitten food - a task I don't mind at all at the moment) but there was something else I was supposed to remind J to get. Well, I hope he remembers what it is as I haven't a clue. Wait! I just remembered. Let me put that in a notepad file to remember.

OK. That's done. Maybe by the time I'm finished drinking my morning tea the laundry currently in the dryer will be ready to remove and fold, and I can get the rest of the laundry into the dryer to get started on drying.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Why Parmesan cheese is so expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgjWOo7IqQY
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2018
    2 ingredient vegan mock meat. Except after saying two ingredients, she says that it also, of course, needs something to bind it together. Hello? That's a third ingredient, by just about anyone's definition. At any rate, supposedly better than seitan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLMjEQlkEO0
  • parityanimal
    The Coolest Way to Make a Full Breakfast (Eggs, Sausage, Toast, Home Fries!) in Only 1 Pan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVscKMazw6k
  • parityanimal
    Japanese edible water balloons? I think this is just silly, but I guess she had fun doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REzuF5cqy6I
  • parityanimal
    I think I'd rather have this for dessert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyKQwjmMDR0
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning! Monday, Monday!
    I have read, but not watched the videos. Will get to that later. Have 2pm appt with dentist. Dr. Kim is going to fix a couple 'hot spots' today. It happens...usually about twice with new teeth. (shrug)

Loved the story of all your kitties names. Mine animals get just names picked at random. Cinnamon was a reddish brown guinea pig, Ellie a Christmas gift guinea pig..Tom E Cat was named by the vet's front desk, etc. If I ever have another dog or cat I swear I will name it Einstein. The California physician that I love, has a cat named Einstein...I wish I could have named Tom E that...it fits...both ways..as sarcasm and as cat cleverness. LOL!

I haven't watched the 'water balloon video', but as I recall Emmy has fairly young children..I can see her kits loving eating water balloons. I know my boys would have thought it a lot of fun.

Supposed to be mid 60's today, so I'll be outside after seeing Dr. Kim. More brambles, more cat's claw...will make for prettier azalea's next spring. Ted started cleaning in the area, and looks so nice, so I'll do what I can. With my hand pruner, my very long reaching small branches cutters, and a big bag to put it in..and I'm good to go. Since getting on my knees and OFF my knees is nearly impossible, that long handled Friskar trimmer is a god send!

Going to try a new salad dressing recipe today...for my salad greens and vegetables at the TG table. One year I made a walnut dressing off the top of my head, (sorta an adaptation of a recipe I'd seen) and Jenn's SIL has bugged me for YEARS now to make it again...I can't. I have no idea what I'd put together...

Ok, time to get me moving..

Later...
    Oh, I had a friend when I lived in town, who I named Onion! The name was from a now forgotten poem about a best friend...anyhow, Onion he became. I've used Radish,Carrot, Chive, etc. for the food seminars.webinars... I really never thought about having several email accounts...but I guess I do. One that I've used for years...gmail, one that is for junk and a couple of times a year, I do a massive DELETE...the other came from my wireless internet...which I don't think I've ever used. So...and...how the heck did you know I had several email addys? Now I'm curious!!

• parityanimal
    Most people have more than one email address nowadays I think. I have several, but only a few I actually USE. There's generally one from the ISP, and family members can create more there, in addition to the one. Then a lot of people have one on Yahoo and/or Gmail, and I believe Yahoo allows each user to create a second, alternate password. Then people often have a work email and if they host their own server, as we do, as many emails as I care to create on that one.

I still have two AOL email addresses, but don't use them. I I only have three email addresses set up in my mail program. On address on our own, home server, one on Yahoo, and one on Gmail. Well, there are two more that consolidate into the one on our home server and all are received by the one email, though I can send or reply from any of the three on tho home server so I guess technically I might use 3 to 5 email addresses. I don't generally send from but one on the home server so the other two are largely for junk mail.
  • RogerToo
    xfGj7n.jpg

fNZgUL.gif

dKkZlo.gif

BiN5ZV.gif

KPNoVj.jpg

XI5hWc.gif

IPMkQJ.jpg

jrqJve.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and once again nothing found. The Temperature out the door was 43 degrees.
    I did see 5 deer of assorted sizes running into and then down the road around 1.5 blocks ahead of me.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6401779/The-DOG-accused-hate-crime-fouling-outside-home-just-one-2-500-cases-probed.html
    The DOG accused of a hate crime after fouling outside a home in just one of 2,500 cases probed over two years
    Police notes said, dog fouled and 'victim perceived this to be a racial incident'

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-china-economic-espionage-20181116-story.html
    China ‘has taken the gloves off’ in its thefts of U.S. technology secrets

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/11/16/hancock-elevator-fail/
    Hancock Elevator Dropped From 95th To 11th Floor, Passenger Says

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/11/17/bones-of-man-dead-800-years-found-in-suburban-chicago/
    Bones Of Man Dead 800 Years Found In Suburban Chicago

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/108684430/its-a-struggle-to-fit-into-shrinking-airplane-bathrooms
    It's a struggle to fit into shrinking airplane bathrooms

https://www.redding.com/story/news/2018/11/17/camp-fire-dog-paradise-california-butte-county-humane-society/2032346002/
    Dog found after Camp Fire 'protecting the only house left on the block' in Paradise

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited November 2018
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 4C/41F with an expected high of 19C/65F and 0% chance of precipitation.

Need to clean yesterday's cat bowls and feed the cats, and I also need to fold the whites and towels and get the "regular" clothes into the dryer.

J needs to pick up a package and there was something else we needed to get out for (well, I need to get canned kitten food - a task I don't mind at all at the moment) but there was something else I was supposed to remind J to get. Well, I hope he remembers what it is as I haven't a clue. Wait! I just remembered. Let me put that in a notepad file to remember.

OK. That's done. Maybe by the time I'm finished drinking my morning tea the laundry currently in the dryer will be ready to remove and fold, and I can get the rest of the laundry into the dryer to get started on drying.
    Hi Ed
    So far the rain that was forecast for this morning has not happened. It was comfortable walking, And of course I still need to do the Laundry, Oh well.

Been there, done that, I may or may not remember what I was supposed to remind my brother to pick up.
    Why Parmesan cheese is so expensive.
    My recollection of what I have seen on TV is that only cheese from a certain region can properly be called Parmesan or possibly I am confusing it with Parmigiano-Reggiano, Ah ha a quick search shows this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmigiano-Reggiano
    The name "Parmesan" is often used generically for the same cheese made outside the traditional areas of production in Italy, although this is prohibited in trading in the European Economic Area under European law.
    2 ingredient vegan mock meat. Except after saying two ingredients, she says that it also, of course, needs something to bind it together. Hello? That's a third ingredient, by just about anyone's definition. At any rate, supposedly better than seitan.
    Two ingredients, Ha !
    The Coolest Way to Make a Full Breakfast (Eggs, Sausage, Toast, Home Fries!) in Only 1 Pan
    I am thinking it needs a large Pan (Skillet ?)
    As usual I shall know better after watching the video later.
    Japanese edible water balloons? I think this is just silly, but I guess she had fun doing it.
    I agree, why ?
    I think I'd rather have this for dessert.
    Two Cheese Cheesecake is unusual ?
    Most people have more than one email address nowadays I think. I have several, but only a few I actually USE. There's generally one from the ISP, and family members can create more there, in addition to the one. Then a lot of people have one on Yahoo and/or Gmail, and I believe Yahoo allows each user to create a second, alternate password. Then people often have a work email and if they host their own server, as we do, as many emails as I care to create on that one.

I still have two AOL email addresses, but don't use them. I I only have three email addresses set up in my mail program. On address on our own, home server, one on Yahoo, and one on Gmail. Well, there are two more that consolidate into the one on our home server and all are received by the one email, though I can send or reply from any of the three on tho home server so I guess technically I might use 3 to 5 email addresses. I don't generally send from but one on the home server so the other two are largely for junk mail.
    I may have a gmail email address, Not using it however.
    The others I can set up are from the cable company who is my ISP.

Do the AOL emails still exist now that the AOL service has shut down ?

I have never bothered with a home server or my own domain name.

Thanks for the Videos

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning! Monday, Monday!
    I have read, but not watched the videos. Will get to that later. Have 2pm appt with dentist. Dr. Kim is going to fix a couple 'hot spots' today. It happens...usually about twice with new teeth. (shrug)

Loved the story of all your kitties names. Mine animals get just names picked at random. Cinnamon was a reddish brown guinea pig, Ellie a Christmas gift guinea pig..Tom E Cat was named by the vet's front desk, etc. If I ever have another dog or cat I swear I will name it Einstein. The California physician that I love, has a cat named Einstein...I wish I could have named Tom E that...it fits...both ways..as sarcasm and as cat cleverness. LOL!

I haven't watched the 'water balloon video', but as I recall Emmy has fairly young children..I can see her kits loving eating water balloons. I know my boys would have thought it a lot of fun.
    Hi Valerie
    never having had other then the teeth I was born with I still should have remembered that new teeth need touch up for comfort from other family members.
    Supposed to be mid 60's today, so I'll be outside after seeing Dr. Kim. More brambles, more cat's claw...will make for prettier azalea's next spring. Ted started cleaning in the area, and looks so nice, so I'll do what I can. With my hand pruner, my very long reaching small branches cutters, and a big bag to put it in..and I'm good to go. Since getting on my knees and OFF my knees is nearly impossible, that long handled Friskar trimmer is a god send!

Going to try a new salad dressing recipe today...for my salad greens and vegetables at the TG table. One year I made a walnut dressing off the top of my head, (sorta an adaptation of a recipe I'd seen) and Jenn's SIL has bugged me for YEARS now to make it again...I can't. I have no idea what I'd put together...

Ok, time to get me moving..
    This year the new bypass pruners work real well, The Big brand name we bought last year were next to useless. Oh well, live and learn, these Also came from Lowes and neither pair were all that cheap. We have a real long handle trimmer that mom bought somewhere years ago. They have handles that are extendable too.

Yesterdays weather turned out to be a nice day outside in the 40s, nicer than it sounds. I also need something to use to help get up off my knees so I know exactly what You mean. That is also why my brother bought a kneeling device for gardening that has a padded Kneeling surface and handles that help lever yourself up. It is also reversible so it can be used as a seat.

Good Luck with the new recipe.
    Later...
    Oh, I had a friend when I lived in town, who I named Onion! The name was from a now forgotten poem about a best friend...anyhow, Onion he became. I've used Radish,Carrot, Chive, etc. for the food seminars.webinars... I really never thought about having several email accounts...but I guess I do. One that I've used for years...gmail, one that is for junk and a couple of times a year, I do a massive DELETE...the other came from my wireless internet...which I don't think I've ever used. So...and...how the heck did you know I had several email addys? Now I'm curious!!
    I suspect that most people have several emails, so guessing You have more than one is going with the most likely scenario.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2018
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 11C/51F with an expected high of 13C/55F and 0% chance of precipitation.

Need to get the last of the laundry folded. And, of course, feed the cats and clean up yesterday's cat bowls. Not sure if anything else is on the agenda, but I do know J needs to get to the bank so we might get out for that. If we do, there are a couple of grocer items we can buy.

Come to think of it, I need to get the ham and turkey out of the freezer so they can be thawing up for Thursday too. The chunks aren't all that large so they should be ready to warm and slice by then.

Wow. Just got them out and boy are my fingers cold, after rearranging to make space in the refrigerator and put the chunks in.

Now they just have to thaw up. Since I went lazy on the meat, and the pumpkin cheesecake is already in the freezer too, I shouldn't have too much work to make the sides. The dressing (from cornbread crumbs) will be my "starring" event I guess. I have pre-boiled eggs to make the deviled eggs (J is staying for Thanksgiving) and enough potatoes to make a small/medium potato salad. Might get more potatoes if we're out today.

I'm planning (maybe) mashed cauliflower, in lieu of mashed potatoes, and, since we may have up to 4 guests, a broccoli, rice(d cauliflower) cheese casserole, and some green beans or green peas. If someone wants cranberry sauce they better bring some because I wasn't planning to make any this year...though I may look for that at the store too. And, as there may be guests, there are some Sister Schubert Parker House rolls in the freezer too. Gravy will be from a mix, or from stock. I'll decide that on the day.

Breakfast for me this morning was a plain omelet (duck eggs!), with peppered bacon, and toast. Hot tea for my beverage.

1xl43dcipygu.png

And here are my meats for Thanksgiving dinner.

Two chunks of "carving ham" and two chunks of roasted turkey breast, from Aldi.

lw7dgyj4hhkr.png

• parityanimal
    edited November 2018

Valerie, since Tom E. Cat's middle initial is E, you can just say that his middle name is Einstein!

:)
  • parityanimal
    Val, would your daughter in law have a cow (so to speak) if you brought a vegan turkey roast to Thanksgiving?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjGmv4knKjc
  • parityanimal
    And here are several commercially available vegan roasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fYx6E_CGls
  • parityanimal
    And a few more easy, vegan, holiday recipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cHluVbeFKA
  • parityanimal
    Cajun fried alligator! Yum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0hnwtpS9dE