Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    9C/48F with an expected high of 11C/51F and 60% chance of precipitation.

Need to get yesterday's cat bowls cleaned up and feed the cats. And I need to go and get my new eye glasses, as they were ready yesterday afternoon but I wasn't going to get out in rainy, after school traffic to pick them up. I'll get out this morning, after rush hour is all over.

A nap didn't happen yesterday, as we ended up having issues with Oliver and an emergency vet visit. It looks like he may (quite likely) have FIP and if he does, then we may not have him with us too much longer. They drained a lot of fluid out of his chest and he's breathing more easily now, and had his appetite back after the vet visit. The bloodwork supported the probable diagnosis but we're waiting on the results of the lab work on the aspirated fluid. Meanwhile, the doctor is also researching to see if there are any real treatments that may have been devised since her last case of it. She said she lost one of her own cats to FIP and if it IS that, there haven't been, up to now, any effective treatments and it's at least 95% fatal, usually over a fairly short time frame.

There is a small chance that it might be some other health issue but for now we're not holding out a lot of hope on that. He's such a sweet kitten. For the moment we are expecting the worst but still holding out that tiny thread of hope for the best.

If we lose Oliver, we WILL be getting another cat (or kitten) but it may be some time before we do. Perhaps not until next calendar year, what with J's work load and the holidays and all. Then again, a Christmas kitty could be cool...but maybe we won't even have to worry about that.
    Hi Ed
    I do not blame You for not wanting to get out in the rain and traffic, I would do the same thing too.

I'm sorry to hear that has happened to Oliver, Can I guess it will not transfer to the other cats ?

I hope You have good luck and that Oliver falls into the other 5%.
    Keto bacon cauliflower "mac" and cheese.
    Mac in quotes is right. I would have to make it as I know my traditionalist cook brother will not use Cauliflower as a substitute for other foods.
    If you could turn back time...to the 1950's?
    Nothing wrong with the 50s, Good music, Good Movies, Good Food IMO. Styles maybe.
    Microwave Thanksgiving!
    I'm not so sure about this, A Microwave IMO is best for reheating. Certain foods can cooked in it, "Baked" Potato, I did a ersatz hard boiled egg in it last week. I used a ceramic coffee cup, broke the 2 eggs into it, microwaved for a period and stirred the eggs then MW'd until a hard boiled egg texture. Not useful as a Deviled Egg of course, But fine for Egg Salad use. I looked at the Internet and they said do not Microwave in the shell as it can explode :smiley:
    Microwave Popcorn of course works, It just does not have a real butter flavor.

Not that great at cooking raw meat IMO.
    New glasses picked up! And here's my new look...
    Oh, wait, that's how I WISH I looked, sometimes...especially on Halloween. :)

Here's my new look.

I'll try to remember to update my profile photo on here in a day or two. :)
    I like the look of the glasses, they look a lot like mine TBH.
    I had to get back out for cat food today too, as I forgot to get it while out getting the spectacles. Oliver's breathing today isn't great and neither is his appetite. At this point I am not expecting good news tomorrow from the vet, and honestly have doubts as to whether he'll even last out another week or two. :( But we will still hang on. Where there is life, there is hope, or so they say. Sometimes I think they are full of crap though.

Oliver has 5 days worth of canned cat food left, except that he didn't eat but half of his canned food today and wasn't too interested in treats this evening. I am feeling very sad at the moment. Normally I'd have been buying more canned kitten food too, and I even briefly looked at that at the pet store but realistically doubt he'll eat what we have. Maybe if he seems to have any appetite tomorrow I'll go out in the rain and get a can of fish flavor to see if that stimulates his appetite.
    Good Luck
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi!
    Ed, I like the new look..very nice! Really like the frames. Looks good on you!

Just now getting to eat my dinner. Rice and gravy with carrot, mushroom and onion. Good healthy sprinkle of Nutritional Yeast, and what was left of the curried cauliflower. Looks pretty 'plain' but tastes good!

Roger IMO Snow has always been a dirty word!! Right along with sleet, ice, (especially black ice), and any other words meaning, cold, and difficult driving.

Managed to get out today and back pretty dry. So I was feeling pretty perky...then I realized I'd forgotten to pick up cat food....back out again. Hate days when I do that. Anything else, and I wouldn't have gone back out..but, Tom E.'s gotta eat!

Ed, I will hang on that thread of hope that Oliver doesn't have FIP right along with you. And that explains the 3 olive martini yesterday. I was concerned then...I knew it had to be something pretty big..never even entered my mind that it was Oliver. Hoping for the very best outcome.

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    Darn it I seem to have lost my first reply. The dinner sounds good to me.

I did not mention the rest of the snow related problems but I agree they are all bad, The Black ice is the worst followed by Sleet. I do not worry about my driving skill in the snow it is the other people on the road that worry me.

I ordered these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Noodle-Gluten-Shirataki-Variety/dp/B00BTMDALO/ref=pd_sim_325_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BTMDALO&pd_rd_r=4feabaca-e7ff-11e8-8842-7d002f82d6fa&pd_rd_w=eE065&pd_rd_wg=CeKCT&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=PYP47ZMNVQ354RK5PTKM&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&refRID=PYP47ZMNVQ354RK5PTKM&th=1

Miracle Noodle Zero Carb, Gluten Free Shirataki Pasta and Rice, 6 bag Variety Pack, 44 ounces
    About the product
    Contains 6 Bags: (2) Angel Hair, (2) Rice, (2) Fettuccini
    Zero Guilt. No Carbs.
    No Bloating. No Energy Crash. No Pasta Belly!
    Soy Free, Gluten Free, Vegan
    Easy quick preparation

I plan to try them with Campbells Cream of Chicken and Cream of Mushroom. I also wonder about the Fettuccini used with Cheese as a Mac and Cheese or Tomato gravy.
    Wish me Luck

It isn't only You I have had boomerang trips recently too.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,212 Member
    Howdy all y'all. It's wet Wednesday. 9C/49F with an expected high of 9C/50F and 100% chance of rain. We might have to get out in it, with Oliver. We'll see. For now we are waiting for the doctor's call but his breathing doesn't look good.

And hopefully I can get in a nap at some point. Didn't manage that yesterday at all, and it's not looking great for it today either.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    And now Mr. Wolfe tries another frozen turkey dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uneIWRN034
  • parityanimal
    Or if you'd still rather have lasagna, here's another version of cabbage lasagna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6vlwEZ7TQ0
  • parityanimal
    How to host a vegan Thanksgiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJOKUQqvUCQ
  • parityanimal
    Giant pumpkin pie slice (made of cake).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEQFeWHBdFg
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2018
    Well, we're taking Oliver back to the vet at 2;30 for what will likely be the final consultation. Unless the vet can pull a miracle out of her hat, we will probably be coming home without Oliver and then looking for another kitty soon. J so far isn't planning to be out of town for Thanksgiving so if we do get another it may be sooner, rather than later.

Oddly enough, though it's a year later, it looks like one of Dinah's kids (maybe more than one) might still be available for adoption and would be one that we would certainly consider, though we also want to consider older cats that are less adoptable.

I apparently now have a guest or two for Thanksgiving so intend to up the ante a bit on the food, but still keep it as reasonable as I can. J isn't sure whether he'll go out of town or not but is currently leaning on staying here so that would be one more guest who needs potato salad and deviled eggs for his protein.

And Val, I bought that evil regular Panettone at Aldi while I was there getting paper towels. And then I saw another kind of cookie or two that I'd never tried so got those too. Argh!

How am I so calm when we're probably euthanizing Oliver this afternoon? Lorazepam. 1 1/2 milligrams...that's how.

J will be driving.
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi Ed
    I hope your vet has a very large hat, and its brim full of miracles. Failing that, you know Oliver had the best possible life with you, J, Lilo, etc.
    Meanwhile my heart goes out to you and J. This is not easy on any level.

Dreary damn day...not a lot of rain...more 'misty' than rain. And there will be more tomorrow! We need the sunshine that is coming our way for Fri, S & Sun. Yard is so full of leaves!! Ted's gonna be sadly surprised.

I am cold..wearing a long sleeved knit shirt, with a sweat shirt over it, and long pilates knit pants...its 70 degrees in the house and still I'm cold. Going to take a nap. My comforter will keep me warm, not sure what i'll do this evening...maybe treat myself to 72 degrees???

Haven't done much today, but I did speak with the insurance folks, and got my dental canceled as of 12-31-2018. This will save me about $600 next year. I will like that!!!

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Well, the above post makes it look like its not also for Roger....was not my intention Roger.
    Let me know what you think of the noodles you just ordered from Amazon. I've seen them in the grocery...never bought them though. I tried to find out on line just what they are made of. I either didn't search with the right words, or search deep enough, cuz I came up empty handed or empty headed? LOL!

Your weather looked horrible for NJ. Hope you do not need to go out, and that you don't lose your electricity. Those are my two worries in the winter anyhow.

I'm heading for my warm comforter...

Later...
  • parityanimal
    About 3:00 this afternoon, we had to let Oliver cross the rainbow bridge, at only 9 months old. We had never even heard of FIP before this week and now we have lost the sweetest kitten ever to it.

Here's J and Oliver, shortly before the end...

9wl3rf70ykeu.png
  • GardenKatGardens
    edited November 2018
    J and Ed,
    I am so very sorry for your loss of Oliver, the "Sweetest Kitten Ever". You both and the other cats will miss Oliver, but know in your heart that you have given him a wonderful home for the months he's lived with you, and helping our loving fur babies over the rainbow bridge is sometimes the best and hardest last thing you can do for them.
    Hugs to you both
    Valerie
  • RogerToo
    yFN3hi.gif

gcvfjS.gif

DGyG5K.gif

mKHf4i.gif

y2YqJg.gif

AKaeg7.gif

tCUD0Q.gif

UwNv6Q.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking and No Money found. The Temperature out the door was 32 degrees. Today's forecast is for the northern half of NJ to start as a wet snow and rain in the southern part. The Snow is supposed to turn to rain at some point.

https://www.iceagenow.info/lack-of-sunspots-to-bring-record-cold-warns-nasa-scientist/
    Lack of sunspots to bring record cold, warns NASA scientist

Hmm...
    https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/texas-sees-snow-before-new-york-as-near-record-cold-hits-south#gs.iE0pQt8
    Texas Sees Snow Before New York on Near-Record Cold in South

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/11/13/obesity-pill-aims-kill-hunger-expanding-stomach/
    Obesity pill aims to kill hunger by expanding in your stomach

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/11/12/california-wildfires-smoke-plumes-new-england/
    Smoke Plumes From Devastating California Wildfires May Extend To New England

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/11/13/veteran-miraculously-wakes-up-after-being-clinically-dead/
    Clinically Dead Veteran Miraculously Wakes Up

Not in my House !
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/7725968/samsung-tvs-controlled-by-your-mind/
    MIND BLOWING Samsung to start testing first smart TVs that can be ‘controlled by your MIND’
    It would allow people to switch channels and change the volume using only their brains

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/48k-per-amazon-hq-job
    NY taxpayers to pay $48,000 per Amazon HQ job

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all. It's wet Wednesday. 9C/49F with an expected high of 9C/50F and 100% chance of rain. We might have to get out in it, with Oliver. We'll see. For now we are waiting for the doctor's call but his breathing doesn't look good.

And hopefully I can get in a nap at some point. Didn't manage that yesterday at all, and it's not looking great for it today either.
    I saw the rain over Georgia on the local weather forecast and it looked ugly.

Good Luck with Oliver.
    And now Mr. Wolfe tries another frozen turkey dinner.
    As I remember Marie Callander has Restaurants and branched out from there. Yup I just checked and this link gives details. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Callender's
    Or if you'd still rather have lasagna, here's another version of cabbage lasagna.
    It looks good to me, Taste ?
    DIY Swedish TUNNBRÖDRULLE - hot dog with SHRIMP salad & mashed potatoes
    Not my cup of tea with Shrimp Salad in it.
    How to host a vegan Thanksgiving.
    I think I shall pass on a Vegan Thanksgiving in favor of a traditional meal.
    Giant pumpkin pie slice (made of cake).
    It looks like Pumpkin bread as the cake and pumpkin flavored frosting.
    Well, we're taking Oliver back to the vet at 2;30 for what will likely be the final consultation. Unless the vet can pull a miracle out of her hat, we will probably be coming home without Oliver and then looking for another kitty soon. J so far isn't planning to be out of town for Thanksgiving so if we do get another it may be sooner, rather than later.

Oddly enough, though it's a year later, it looks like one of Dinah's kids (maybe more than one) might still be available for adoption and would be one that we would certainly consider, though we also want to consider older cats that are less adoptable.

I apparently now have a guest or two for Thanksgiving so intend to up the ante a bit on the food, but still keep it as reasonable as I can. J isn't sure whether he'll go out of town or not but is currently leaning on staying here so that would be one more guest who needs potato salad and deviled eggs for his protein.

And Val, I bought that evil regular Panettone at Aldi while I was there getting paper towels. And then I saw another kind of cookie or two that I'd never tried so got those too. Argh!

How am I so calm when we're probably euthanizing Oliver this afternoon? Lorazepam. 1 1/2 milligrams...that's how.

J will be driving.
    I suppose that Thanksgiving will be hard anyway You look at it.
    I have been seeing different brands of Panettone also. I am still waiting to see a small personal size one this year.

Did the Lorazepam work ?
    About 3:00 this afternoon, we had to let Oliver cross the rainbow bridge, at only 9 months old. We had never even heard of FIP before this week and now we have lost the sweetest kitten ever to it.

Here's J and Oliver, shortly before the end...
    I am sorry to hear that is happening. I have seen mention of FIP somewhere on MFP in the past.
    It is a sad thing that You had to do, I do not know if I could be that strong.

I hope You feel better shortly, I never know what to say.
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Ed
    I hope your vet has a very large hat, and its brim full of miracles. Failing that, you know Oliver had the best possible life with you, J, Lilo, etc.
    Meanwhile my heart goes out to you and J. This is not easy on any level.

Dreary damn day...not a lot of rain...more 'misty' than rain. And there will be more tomorrow! We need the sunshine that is coming our way for Fri, S & Sun. Yard is so full of leaves!! Ted's gonna be sadly surprised.

I am cold..wearing a long sleeved knit shirt, with a sweat shirt over it, and long pilates knit pants...its 70 degrees in the house and still I'm cold. Going to take a nap. My comforter will keep me warm, not sure what i'll do this evening...maybe treat myself to 72 degrees???

Haven't done much today, but I did speak with the insurance folks, and got my dental canceled as of 12-31-2018. This will save me about $600 next year. I will like that!!!

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    How do You handle leaves where You are ? Around here in my town we bag the leaves and they pick them up once a week, Some people Mulch them and in some towns they rake them to the curb and a large truck comes by and Vacuums them up.

You are stronger than I, I keep the heat set around 73 or 74 degrees for the heating season.

So You do not anticipate a need for Dental Insurance ? As long as that holds true why not save $600 a year, You would need serious dental work to spend that much.
    Well, the above post makes it look like its not also for Roger....was not my intention Roger.
    Let me know what you think of the noodles you just ordered from Amazon. I've seen them in the grocery...never bought them though. I tried to find out on line just what they are made of. I either didn't search with the right words, or search deep enough, cuz I came up empty handed or empty headed? LOL!

Your weather looked horrible for NJ. Hope you do not need to go out, and that you don't lose your electricity. Those are my two worries in the winter anyhow.

I'm heading for my warm comforter...

Later...
    I shall be sure to let You know how they taste, What Store have You seen them in ? Do You remember the cost in the Grocery Store ?

I hope the power stays on too, this is forecast to be a heavy snow or icing and they are hard conditions that can bring down power lines. South Jersey is forecast to stay as rain with wind that can also cause damage.
    J and Ed,
    I am so very sorry for your loss of Oliver, the "Sweetest Kitten Ever". You both and the other cats will miss Oliver, but know in your heart that you have given him a wonderful home for the months he's lived with you, and helping our loving fur babies over the rainbow bridge is sometimes the best and hardest last thing you can do for them.
    Hugs to you both
    Valerie
    Hard is not even close IMO, That sort of thing is one of the reasons why I don't have pets.

Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 4C/40F with an expected high of 6C/43F and 70% chance of precipitation. Haven't checked outside yet to see if it's really 100% for here.

Need to clean up yesterday's cat bowls and feed the cats. We're supposed to have freezing temperatures tonight so we need to get the rest of the plants into either the garage or the greenhouse. Other than that I don't know that I have a lot on the agenda.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Stuart tried out of date drinks from around the world. And we see a piece of furniture that's not his brown sofa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpp_WZLLxxA
  • parityanimal
    KFC chicken and waffles? He says it made him call his momma! Well, I guess it wasn't so good he needed to slap his momma. We had a barbecue place in the Memphis area that advertised as "so good, you'll slap your momma!" and I always thought that was kind of strange. They did have good barbecue, but since my momma was over 200 miles away I couldn't have slapped her even if it did make me want to, which it didn't. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXQcQ3oltF4