Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Good Monday Morning.
    Cold one in GA...worse tomorrow I think. UGH. Not NJ cold, but bad enough for GA.
    Ed, I hear ya about the expense of getting the sockets replaced last week. So I'll shut up about the IP, start saving your pennies though...you'll not regret it!
    Roger, yes you did go crazy walking in 10 degree weather!!! LOL!! I should kick myself out and walk just to the end of the street and back..its invigorating to walk in cold weather...(and my brain knows that, but my body balks!)
    Both cats now outside, Tom made a puddle on my kitchen throw rug...but I'm smarter than him, at night I turn it over so its latex backing side up...easy to clean, and spray with 50/50 vinegar water mix. (so right now my kitchen smells like a pickle jar!) :)
    Weird cats.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    The saving grace is the cold air helps burn calories :)

Invigorating? When I was heading into the wind not so much.

Have a Good Monday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,311 Member
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed
    Do You have electric heat? That sounds a bit high for electric at this time of the year. Ours was running somewhere a bit higher for the summer, OTOH that was two 220Volt Air Conditioners and a smaller one running as well as intermittent use of a fourth one.

Good Luck
    Roger

The $227 was for the electric repairs. I have no idea what the electric bill is this time of year, as J takes care of that bill. Yes, I know we're married but we really haven't changed the way we've always done things. I do the cell phone bill (discount for Kroger employees) and my own personal credit cards, and we still maintain mostly separate bank accounts, though we do have two joint accounts at two banks, one that is a stash for the pet expenses and one that is only used to funnel money from me to him or vice versa. It's just too complicated if both of us are paying bills or writing checks out of the same account. I don't know how Mom and Dad managed that at all!

Our heat is gas, and gas isn't particularly cheap in Georgia either. But J does that bill too. If we need to swap money, we just pass it through either of the joint accounts, which works out pretty well. We can pass money through the pets' account, but we leave their stash alone, until it's time to use it to pay their bills. Mostly we use the other account at the other bank for that money exchange.

Off to nap with Lilo! Then get up and roast a beef for dinner.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some only once...

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Cold, but clear out. Leftover roast beef for breakfast.

And not it's off to the salt races!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    COLD!
  • GardenKatGardens
    edited January 2016
    Good Tuesday Morning.
    Cold, not warming up today. BRRRR!/UGGGH!/THBBBT!
    So grateful for my nice warm little house!
    Ed, I chuckled at your banking concerns for your Mom and Dad...my folks, and my ex and I had joint accounts! Rarely caused 'issues'. At our house, I had the check book, I paid the bills, he had checks, but nearly always remembered to tell me when he wrote that occasional check. :) It worked mostly smoothly.

Fred sent a text yesterday, says he'll come work on my broken pipe today. Didn't say when...so, I need to get thru the shower and dress. Then I'll have breakfast and my second cup of coffee. :)

(I don't know what your political leanings are, don't really care, but I did have to laugh out loud at Trump quoting the bible this morning on the news! I don't think we'll have to worry much about him getting any offers to preach!!!) Oh my! LOL!!!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited January 2016
    Hi
    Roger's going Crazy :)
    So to speak anyway. Wind chill was around 2 degrees this morning. So I went walking bundled up anyway. There is (was) a method to my madness however. I was trying a hand warming pad to see if it would do the job and I figured those conditions would do a thorough test. So I opened it 30 minutes early and shook it like the directions said, as it said it would take 15 to 30 minutes to warm up. That was 7:15 and it is still warm. at 11:45.

So now I know I need to order some more so I can put one in each mitten to keep my fingers warm as that is where I feel the cold the worst.

FWIW I went walking a second time at 3:30Pm Yesterday. That added 6 or 7 thousand steps to the day. Today that isn't happening, just to darn cold.

My Current order has closed and I got an email that the label has been created which probably means it will ship tonight and be delivered tomorrow. I look forward to trying the new foods and snacks.

Have a Good Tuesday
    Roger
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed
    Do You have electric heat? That sounds a bit high for electric at this time of the year. Ours was running somewhere a bit higher for the summer, OTOH that was two 220Volt Air Conditioners and a smaller one running as well as intermittent use of a fourth one.

Good Luck
    Roger

The $227 was for the electric repairs. I have no idea what the electric bill is this time of year, as J takes care of that bill. Yes, I know we're married but we really haven't changed the way we've always done things. I do the cell phone bill (discount for Kroger employees) and my own personal credit cards, and we still maintain mostly separate bank accounts, though we do have two joint accounts at two banks, one that is a stash for the pet expenses and one that is only used to funnel money from me to him or vice versa. It's just too complicated if both of us are paying bills or writing checks out of the same account. I don't know how Mom and Dad managed that at all!

Our heat is gas, and gas isn't particularly cheap in Georgia either. But J does that bill too. If we need to swap money, we just pass it through either of the joint accounts, which works out pretty well. We can pass money through the pets' account, but we leave their stash alone, until it's time to use it to pay their bills. Mostly we use the other account at the other bank for that money exchange.

Off to nap with Lilo! Then get up and roast a beef for dinner.

Hi Ed
    I misunderstood, I thought that was the Utility bill for Electric :) IMO considering NJ prices that sounds like a decent price for a house call by an electrician.

We have gas heat and stove with an electric Oven. Our Gas bill is lower this year, from what they said the cost to the utility is lower.

What My Brother & I do is One month I pay the Gas and Electric bill and he pays the Water, Phone, Cable and the next month we reverse them. It works for me.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Good Tuesday Morning.
    Cold, not warming up today. BRRRR!/UGGGH!/THBBBT!
    So grateful for my nice warm little house!
    Ed, I chuckled at your banking concerns for your Mom and Dad...my folks, and my ex and I had joint accounts! Rarely caused 'issues'. At our house, I had the check book, I paid the bills, he had checks, but nearly always remembered to tell me when he wrote that occasional check. :) It worked mostly smoothly.

Fred sent a text yesterday, says he'll come work on my broken pipe today. Didn't say when...so, I need to get thru the shower and dress. Then I'll have breakfast and my second cup of coffee. :)

(I don't know what your political leanings are, don't really care, but I did have to laugh out loud at Trump quoting the bible this morning on the news! I don't think we'll have to worry much about him getting any offers to preach!!!) Oh my! LOL!!!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    OTOH I believe Trump is right that Christianity is under attack all over. I saw that clip too where he more or less blew it. If You are going to do it get it right :)

As far as politicians I do not see any from either party that I like so far. Our Governor is probably the best one but will not make it. However he did keep campaign promises.

Good Luck getting the pipe fixed at a reasonable price
    Roger

Cold all over. They say maybe a decent snow amount Friday night into Saturday, If any amount of snow can be called decent.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Off to the rat mines.

• RogerToo
    Hi Ed and Valerie
    When I went out walking + 2 Cents today the nearby temperature was 27 with a wind chill of 20 :) That makes the wind chill 18 degrees warmer than yesterdays walk. I plan to drop by the local sporting goods store later on and see what they carry for hand warmers. Using the test one yesterday my hands were warmer than today. Decision is one time use, rechargeable battery powered or some other type.

Today I see that tracking shows I have a delivery out for delivery on truck. No Indication as to whether it is the BWB or the BBB or both. Both have new items in them, Frozen breakfast sandwich and Shelf Stable desserts for example. Look forward to me adding comments on how they taste as well as a better review in the NS food reviews group here.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Wednesday Morning!
    Cold, but not humid, just yet,...rain coming. :) Cats are choosing to be 'out' this morning. Their choice. I'm just the doorman!
    Off to the Grocery, and want to mop the floors later today...gym optional...(read probably not)
    Roger, I used those hand warmers...got them at Walmart when I worked in the gym... one in each pocket. (they lasted a long time. I'd often 'hand them off to someone as I left for the day) They called me 'hot pockets' after that god awful frozen cr@p they sell....and because I wore an insulated shirt, turtleneck and then my PF long sleeved work t-shirt under my jacket...they also called me Valerie 3 Shirt!!! Kids!!!
    Roger, I hope you get both boxes today!
    Ed...I know its tag day...hope it warms, you tag, and then the rains come...in that order :)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

Cold out there, but not as bad as yesterday. Only had one tag change outdoors yesterday so it didn't take too long, but it was COLD.

Off to the salt races.
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I woke up early so I walked early too 7K+ steps :) I plan to head out later too. I need to burn of yesterdays temptation of Chicken Broccoli And Egg Roll from the Local Chinese Take Out.

It appears that I may be busy today. My NS was not delivered yesterday and it showed a delivery exception. Today in my email I see my suspicion is correct, Now I have two emails that my food has shipped from two different locations. I believe That indicates both the BBB and the BWB should be coming today. I have a feeling NS may have orchestrated it to save a little money.

Have a Good Thursday
    Roger
    Good Wednesday Morning!
    Cold, but not humid, just yet,...rain coming. :) Cats are choosing to be 'out' this morning. Their choice. I'm just the doorman!
    Off to the Grocery, and want to mop the floors later today...gym optional...(read probably not)
    Roger, I used those hand warmers...got them at Walmart when I worked in the gym... one in each pocket. (they lasted a long time. I'd often 'hand them off to someone as I left for the day) They called me 'hot pockets' after that god awful frozen cr@p they sell....and because I wore an insulated shirt, turtleneck and then my PF long sleeved work t-shirt under my jacket...they also called me Valerie 3 Shirt!!! Kids!!!
    Roger, I hope you get both boxes today!
    Ed...I know its tag day...hope it warms, you tag, and then the rains come...in that order :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    As You can see no box yesterday :( OTOH it appears I now should get both which will keep me busy later on.

A simple question, How was the price at Walmart? Local Sporting goods was kind of expensive. I need to order from Amazon, Much less expensive there OTOH if Walmart is cheap too...

I have been wearing a T-Shirt, Sweatshirt and a Hoodie and if it is windy the Frogg Toggs Rain jacket as a windbreaker.

They keep changing the weekend forecast, Now they say Saturday morning into Sunday the snow arrives, originally they were saying Friday Night into Saturday.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

Cold out there, but not as bad as yesterday. Only had one tag change outdoors yesterday so it didn't take too long, but it was COLD.

Off to the salt races.

Hi Ed
    It sounds as if You got Lucky.

Just curious, How is the weather? It appears from the weather maps to be less than nice :)

Have fun at work
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Thursday morning...clear or at least bright with weak winter sun...rain coming later this after...
    Talking about snow mostly north of where Ed and I are... should be ok...I hope, have hair appointment in ATL at noon on Saturday.
    Roger, as best I recall Hot Hands were 1.23 for a packet of 4. (this is remembering from last winter..)
    Had sometimes hunt to find them...Sometimes they were at the checkout area and other times back in Sporting Goods.

Its been a busy morning here. Had to actually COOK my breakfast...so I pressure cooked my kidney beans, and made a big pot of oatmeal. Eating now! And enjoying a cup of Lemon decalf tea.

I didn't get my TO DO's completed yesterday, so today is going to be busy!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! Planning to be home well before the snow and ice that may come later.

Made some delicious hash for dinner last night from smoked sausage, onion, potato and kale. Finished it off for this morning's tasty breakfast.

I've got some split peas, spicy curry powder, onion, garlic, carrot, and a couple of ham hocks started in my biggest crockpot, so by lunchtime when I get home, I should be able to pull out the ham hocks, shred that little bit of meat off them, dump in the rest of that smoked sausage, and have some really tasty soup! That can be dinner as well. And probably food for tomorrow.

Off to the salt races! Hope the city doesn't run out of salt for the roads...

• RogerToo
    edited January 2016
    Hi
    It was somewhat cold out this morning, 15 degrees when I walked by the bank that has a time & temperature display. Snow is supposed to start around midnight according to the latest weather forecast so I may not be out walking tomorrow :) They are predicting 6 to 12 inches where I am in todays forecast, Blizzard conditions too. :(

I have now tried three of the new NS food items now.
    The Bacon, Egg, Cheese Muffin 5* I did over microwave it which made the bacon slightly tough :(

The Sweet & Salty Snack Mix 4*, I dinged it due to not being particularly Sweet or Salty, OTOH I did like the Nuts in it so I will reorder it. This could be replicated at a lower cost, I just need to scale the components.

The Vanilla Shortbread Sticks 5*, Crunchy but tasty and a decent portion size.

Coming up in todays menu are the Chocolate Chip Dough bar for lunch, The Smoky BBQ Snack Rounds and the Apple Pecan Bites as my Snack/Dessert.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
    Good Thursday morning...clear or at least bright with weak winter sun...rain coming later this after...
    Talking about snow mostly north of where Ed and I are... should be ok...I hope, have hair appointment in ATL at noon on Saturday.
    Roger, as best I recall Hot Hands were 1.23 for a packet of 4. (this is remembering from last winter..)
    Had sometimes hunt to find them...Sometimes they were at the checkout area and other times back in Sporting Goods.

Its been a busy morning here. Had to actually COOK my breakfast...so I pressure cooked my kidney beans, and made a big pot of oatmeal. Eating now! And enjoying a cup of Lemon decalf tea.

I didn't get my TO DO's completed yesterday, so today is going to be busy!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Thank You for that information. That sounds like a good price. I saw online that Bed Bath & Beyond has 10 packs for $8. I will have to run the numbers and compare their price after either the 20% or $5 discount coupons that they keep sending us to Walmarts price.

I do like a nice Oatmeal breakfast on a cold morning :)

Roger
    Have a Good Day
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! Planning to be home well before the snow and ice that may come later.

Made some delicious hash for dinner last night from smoked sausage, onion, potato and kale. Finished it off for this morning's tasty breakfast.

I've got some split peas, spicy curry powder, onion, garlic, carrot, and a couple of ham hocks started in my biggest crockpot, so by lunchtime when I get home, I should be able to pull out the ham hocks, shred that little bit of meat off them, dump in the rest of that smoked sausage, and have some really tasty soup! That can be dinner as well. And probably food for tomorrow.

Off to the salt races! Hope the city doesn't run out of salt for the roads...

Hi Ed
    From what the TV weather forecast was showing this morning the Atlanta area looks like bad weather moving through on its way up to me.

My Brother makes Split Pea soup using Ham Hocks or left over Ham with the same ingredients minus the curry powder. No Salt is used in any of his cooking.

Have a safe commute home
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. Back to check on "things" and to say that when I got off work, I was OUT OF THERE in no time because I knew the city was largely closing down at 1:00 pm and I wanted to get home before that! I clocked out at 12:38 and was home by 12:45, with little traffic.

I suspect the store was nearly out of milk, eggs, and bread by then, but I didn't need any so didn't check. Do people make lots of French toast when it snows, or what?

Pulled the ham hocks out, put the smoked sausage in, shredded that little bit of meat off the ham hocks, then, put that back into the soup and then it was lunch!

Lilo is happily sitting in my lap now as I browse the web.

My CSA box is all put away, except for the green beans which need to be snipped, rinsed, and frozen for a later meal, but that won't take long.

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Winter weather advisory here until this afternoon, when they expect temperatures to rise and melt the black ice.

Lilo and I have been fed. I actually made a "real" breakfast this morning, instead of eating leftovers. ;)

But lunch will be a salad and some of the leftover split pea soup. It came out really thick and tasty, just the way I like it, with enough meat in it to really provide a satisfying, protein rich meal to help balance out the carbs in the peas.

Though, to be fair, peas are, in my opinion, not too bad carbwise, as they are legumes and have a lot of good carbs too.

Speaking of split pea soup, that is another long gone NS lunch that I approached with trepidation, though it became something of a favorite. So, of course, it's gone, gone, gone. All of the "add water and microwave" items left are ones that I liked, but then I think I liked most of that type, though I found fault with the cooking instructions and always cooked them (and let them sit) longer than the times indicated.

The split pea soup was approached with trepidation because I though an instant split pea soup would probably suck. It really didn't, but was way too bland for my taste. I found that adding a spoonful of curry powder, cooking it for longer than the recommended time, and chopping up a a couple of Hebrew National 97% fat free hot dogs into it, as my protein add on, made it quite tasty! I have to give some of the credit to the hot dogs though, as those are REALLY tasty and well spiced. Still the best tasting fat free (or at least nearly fat free) hot dogs on the market, in my opinion.

• RogerToo
    Hi
    Anybody else having bad weather? We were outside shoveling around 9:30AM this morning, I had to use the bottom of the Storm door on the porch like a plow to be able to lean out and shovel a place to stand to finish opening it. When I stuck the yardstick in the sidewalk to the street It showed 13 inches and the sidewalk to the driveway was at 16 inches but I suspect blowing snow for the difference. I am going with the 13 inches being close to correct, I also measured that in the flat part of the driveway between my brothers car and the street. Earlier we watched a OEM vehicle sitting out in the street, eventually he ticketed a car parked across the street. Ordinance is no parking on the street for snow removal.
    The Apple Pecan Bites were tasty 4.5*
    the Chocolate Chip Dough lunch bar was somewhat disappointing due to not being what I was expecting, 3* for that reason. However I could see others liking it and it is one of the lower calorie lunches. one of the Chicken Soups is lower however no real texture to the soup so...

Cheers
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. Back to check on "things" and to say that when I got off work, I was OUT OF THERE in no time because I knew the city was largely closing down at 1:00 pm and I wanted to get home before that! I clocked out at 12:38 and was home by 12:45, with little traffic.

I suspect the store was nearly out of milk, eggs, and bread by then, but I didn't need any so didn't check. Do people make lots of French toast when it snows, or what?

Pulled the ham hocks out, put the smoked sausage in, shredded that little bit of meat off the ham hocks, then, put that back into the soup and then it was lunch!

Lilo is happily sitting in my lap now as I browse the web.

My CSA box is all put away, except for the green beans which need to be snipped, rinsed, and frozen for a later meal, but that won't take long.

Hi Ed
    I saw on the News that Your area was having icing. I would rather have snow than ice FWIW.

I do not know what they do with the bread, milk and eggs TBH, I never understood that one.
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Winter weather advisory here until this afternoon, when they expect temperatures to rise and melt the black ice.

Lilo and I have been fed. I actually made a "real" breakfast this morning, instead of eating leftovers. ;)

But lunch will be a salad and some of the leftover split pea soup. It came out really thick and tasty, just the way I like it, with enough meat in it to really provide a satisfying, protein rich meal to help balance out the carbs in the peas.

Though, to be fair, peas are, in my opinion, not too bad carbwise, as they are legumes and have a lot of good carbs too.

Speaking of split pea soup, that is another long gone NS lunch that I approached with trepidation, though it became something of a favorite. So, of course, it's gone, gone, gone. All of the "add water and microwave" items left are ones that I liked, but then I think I liked most of that type, though I found fault with the cooking instructions and always cooked them (and let them sit) longer than the times indicated.

The split pea soup was approached with trepidation because I though an instant split pea soup would probably suck. It really didn't, but was way too bland for my taste. I found that adding a spoonful of curry powder, cooking it for longer than the recommended time, and chopping up a a couple of Hebrew National 97% fat free hot dogs into it, as my protein add on, made it quite tasty! I have to give some of the credit to the hot dogs though, as those are REALLY tasty and well spiced. Still the best tasting fat free (or at least nearly fat free) hot dogs on the market, in my opinion.

Hi Again
    I did get some of the Split pea soup from NS from another member selling it along with other discontinued foods that were still in date.

once I found the Hebrew National 97% hot dogs I never bothered trying others. My only nit pick is that with the lower fat they are denser and You get 7 for the same price as the regular ones in a 8 pack.

I have been using the Add water cups by heating them the way I saw posted back on the old departed NS forums. Add Boiling water and let sit 9 minutes and if they get to cool microwave a little for warmth. Following the NS MW directions I always seemed to make a mess in the MW.

Have a Nice & safe Weekend
    Roger

Hi Valerie
    I hope all is well for You
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Sigh. Eating the last of the delicious split pea soup for dinner. I just finished off the lettuce from yesterday's CSA box in a large salad, with half a large slicer tomato. One tomato left. Tomorrow I think I'll slow cook that bunch of collards, and have it with bacon, pork, cheddar meatballs.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! Supposed to get considerably warmer today. I've got my collards cooking away in my smallest slow cooker. The meatballs are ready to cook. It's just a matter of cooking them.

I've been up for hours, but distracted by feeding Lilo, feeding me, laundry and internet.

• RogerToo
    Hi
    I survived the Blizzard :) No walking of course, We shoveled snow three times yesterday and so far today once, at least one or two more times needed to clear my car. Currently my car looks like a glacier. Very tiring throwing the snow up and over the banks of snow too. 27+ inches of global warming in the next town to the north, that is around 1+ miles. No walking today of course maybe tomorrow. NYC .1 inches less than the record snowfall. In NJ the deepest snow was 33 inches in Morris Plains. A town to the west of me a 10 to 15 minute drive was over 29 inches. Somerville was at 27.4 inches :(

The Toffee Crunch cookies were great *****
    The Smokey BBQ Snack-A-Rounds I am rating at ***. They would have rated higher except for the way the left my tongue burning. I do not eat hot and spicy foods. The Good for them was a nice quantity of them in the package.

Can You spot my car in this picture? Also notice the Yardstick at the back of it.

TDYajW.jpg

Have a Safe Sunday
    Roger
    Sigh. Eating the last of the delicious split pea soup for dinner. I just finished off the lettuce from yesterday's CSA box in a large salad, with half a large slicer tomato. One tomato left. Tomorrow I think I'll slow cook that bunch of collards, and have it with bacon, pork, cheddar meatballs.
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! Supposed to get considerably warmer today. I've got my collards cooking away in my smallest slow cooker. The meatballs are ready to cook. It's just a matter of cooking them.

I've been up for hours, but distracted by feeding Lilo, feeding me, laundry and internet.

Hi Ed
    I see You survived the weather :)

Up here every time I have had Collard Greens they were served with Bacon.

Have a Good Sunday
    Roger