Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    Well Yesterday I extended my walk somewhat and hit over 11,000 steps for the day. I try and hit 10K steps as a target FWIW.

I went out at my regular time today + 1 Really beat up penny. It is approximately 8 degrees warmer this morning and still a light breeze. I extended my walk today too, I am over 9k steps currently. Breakfast is finished and the "news" watched. Mostly repetition of yesterdays news. Luckily I had it DVR'd and could skip most of the repeating news.

Breakfast was simple, a Banana before my walk, a NS French Toast and NS Strawberry Protein shake after the walk. Next up in 2 1/2 hours from breakfast I think I'll do a NS Craving Crusher shake or maybe 2+ ounces of Roast Chicken Breast and a couple slices of low calorie Whole Wheat Bread as a PF + SC followed by 1/2 cup of Cottage Cheese and a Apple and NS Entree + 170 Grams of vegetables for Lunch 2 1/2 hours later on.

I am waiting to try the new Breakfast Egg McMuffin sandwich clone
    @ 150 calories it should be a good addition. Some of the New Desserts look really tasty too as well as the
    lunch additions. The nutricrush™ Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bar looks good and not to high a calorie count either.
    The White Cheddar Mac and Cheese I did add to my order to try but the heating direction look like a bit of a pain :smile:
    I am waiting to try the Apple Pecan Bites, the Sweet and Salty Snack Mix, Toffee Crunch Cookies and the
    Vanilla Shortbread Cookies more than the 3 Snack-A-Rounds. The Snickerdoodle cookie and the
    Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt Nut Bar (Tasty too) are not as new one being a couple of months old and the other
    we had last year.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! J is out of town but I have been conscripted to at least bring the light setup to the orchid judging this afternoon. Not too happy about that as i was not planning on going at all, and enjoying a nap with Lilo.

Lilo was very nice and let me sleep in til almost 6:00 this morning, and might have let me sleep in longer if I hadn't heard D up and about. I decided to get on up, feed Lilo, and get my own breakfast.

I may look on the NS site just to drool over possible new foods but haven't actually placed an order in a long, long time now. Their lack of concern for old time users and our support of each other really ticked me off and doesn't incline me toward availing myself of their food when I can make tastier food myself, and I know what to combine and how to combine it. The convenience factor was very nice, and some of their food is, surprisingly, quite good. All the same, I think they have lost the original focus and their new focus doesn't point where I think it should. There were a couple of dishes I thought delicious but never could figure out exactly which ingredient triggered a horrible allergic reaction, making me sick as a dog. Only took a couple of times on each food with the whole evening spent with Ralph to know not to order those items again though!

I can find snacks of similar nutritional value at the grocery, since I stayed with NS more than long enough to know what to look for on the labels, and can prepare meals easily enough on my own. So I can still follow the original program. I just don't need them to help me any more, and they weren't helping me toward the end anyway. :(

If Lilo ever gets out of my lap, I'll figure out where I left my phone.

I have enough time that I may get a short morning nap in before going to the orchid judging.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some only once...
    Yikes! I just looked at the NS site.

Breakfast choices (non-frozen anyway) just don't look all that great to me any more. They seem to have given up the pancake mix, which was one of my favorites. Aside from the honey wheat bagel and the Nutriflake cereal, everything is SWEET. Now I don't mind sweet sometimes for breakfast, but what about the unsweetened O's cereal? I liked that. I liked the pancake mix (I could decide if I wanted it sweet, and how sweet) and I liked the powdered egg dishes. All gone...The frozen sandwich type meals look good. But it's a mighty limited breakfast menu now, in my opinion, at least to satisfy my tastes.

Lunch still has some of my old favorites but I never will forgive them for dropping the tomato soup, while I was still buying stuff. It was one of my all time favorite! There are some new (to me) dishes there that I never tasted because they weren't on the menu, and the new (really new) white cheddar macaroni and cheese looks good. But what happened to the vegetable beef soup? And when did the vegetarian chili move from dinner to lunch?

Dinner still has enough of my old favorites (and one that made me sick, though I loved the taste of it going down...) and some interesting things that are new to me. Of course one reason I gave up ordering was that I had cold feet on new items, fearing they might make me sick! They seem to have given up the vegetable fajita, which I can't claim to miss because it was another that made me ill, but it was very popular and one of the most substantial, filling dinners they provided.

The snacks look pretty good, all around, with most of my old favorites still there and quite a few that I never had the chance to try. I loved their ORIGINAL zesty herb snack mix, but after the reformulation a year or two in, I wasn't as fond of those. They were still acceptable, occasionally, but no longer a favorite. The cheese puffs were usually pretty good, as I recall, though sometimes you'd get a bad bag.

In shakes, didn't they have a strawberry shake at first? They had just started with the shakes when I was phasing out my purchasing and I swear I remember buying, and liking, a strawberry shake but don't see that one on the menu now. They kept doing that to me! Dropping things that I really liked!

Well, anyway, not going back, but it was fun looking.

Hi Ed
    You can see what I was thinking of some of the new additions, I have all of them on the upcoming order to try. Some more-so than others.
    I do order the Frozen foods and I like the added variety they add. I like most of the lunch sandwiches FWIW. I like the hamburger and the grilled chicken sandwich with a side sauce of Thousand Island Dressing.
    They have four shakes, look under the shakes tab. Strawberry, Vanilla, Coffee flavored and Creamy Chocolate, which is tasty made then heated in the Microwave as a Hot Chocolate FWIW. Hmmm... I hope they are not dropping the Strawberry, I do not see it in the shakes page when I go look at the menu of foods and am not logged in :( I got the strawberry shakes in my last order and still have three packets in the cupboard and a box of seven stored in a box under the bed where I keep boxes that are not needed yet.

I still have one old vegetarian Fajita mix and another vegetarian packet, Sloppy Joe maybe in the freezer, They were surprising to me better than I thought they would be. I like the new Sloppy Joe better however and it is a easier fix too.

I used a lot of the Pancake mixes as they were easily to customize to different flavors, The frozen pancakes are tasty but You can not really add flavors or fruit to them before cooking like I could with the Mix.

I am a fan of convenient and that is one reason I do like the NS foods and TBH they taste good to with few exceptions

Have a Great Weekend
    You to Valerie
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,311 Member
    Oh my, I'd forgotten entirely about the vegetarian sloppy Joes! They were one of my favorites too, which really surprised me as I ordered the first one with lots of trepidation. I cooked them longer than specified and they came out fantastic, served over a couple of slices of low calorie, high fiber, whole wheat (5 grams carb per slice!) toast.

Too sloppy to be a sandwich, but very yummy! I would also sometimes stir in some beans and additional spice and make a pretty nice bowl of chili out of that one.

• parityanimal
    I was really tired when I got home from orchid judging, but I still got right to it cleaning, peeling and chopping veggies to make roasted veggies. But then while at judging I had texted D to let him know what dinner was going to be, and WHEN, so I boxed myself in there. LOL. I think I needed to do that to myself, but it worked out well.

I got some new red potatoes (CSA box), turnips (CSA box), yellow onion (still had a few old ones to get rid of) and a bell pepper (CSA box) all cleaned, peeled, if needed, large diced, and tossed with some seasoned salt, black pepper, and a little olive oil, in a large ziplock bag, along with some garlic powder. Roasted for half an hour at 450, stirred and roasted for another half an hour. Meanwhile, I prepared the kofta style lamb patties, seasoning the ground lamb with Lebanese 7 Spice, garlic, onion, rosemary, and a little salt, and set some ghee to heating in a large skillet.

The braised kale (CSA box) was ready anytime, as I had started that at about 10:00 this morning. I cleverly timed it all to be ready at the same time, and dinner was served!

I have a leftover plate for lunch or dinner tomorrow too. D liked the lamb OK, and the veggies, but my kale was a bit too spicy for his taste. That's OK. MORE FOR ME!

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hey, Im way late to the party...
    great hockey game, Nate scored two of the 7 goals...they won..always good...
    ANd home. Used the new Instant Pot...did the recommended test...easy to use. Cooked my brown lentils in less than 15 minutes...no complaints there...:)
    Lost my electric....somebody maybe hit a power pole, cuz the recorded message at the Elec. co. said about 1900 folks without power...and they called me back to confirm that I had power when it was fixed. I thought that was really nice.
    Then Fred the plumber came back tonite around 5:30..., long story short tubing needs to be replaced up the entire wall, and into the attic..... ain't it grand....
    I am planning to win that $900Million tonite.
    See you guys in the morning....
    oh, and your assessments of the new foods in NS was interesting. They always discontinued the things I thought were good too Ed...and Roger you're right, they were easy to fix, and made a quick meal prep!

Ok, now really saying good nite...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! Slept in a little bit this morning. Really was feeling totally exhausted last night, so didn't stay up all that much later after dinner. At least it was a nice dinner, and there are leftovers.

I see no one won the big one and now it's up to 1.2 billion estimated! I'm sure with ticket purchases, that number will rise even higher by Wednesday. And I'll probably need to make sure we have another role of paper for the lotto printer at work!

I don't even need the whole 1.2 billion...just a million or two will be fine. I can share...

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• RogerToo
    Hi
    It is raining currently and is forecast to end this afternoon. I may get out walking or I may not. Since they said rain was coming I walked an extra 1/2 walks distance yesterday in the afternoon. I am undecided as to whether to take the large umbrella and do a partial walk later on this morning, 60/40 not.

Temperatures are supposed to hit around 60+ later on today and then back to cold weather tomorrow.

Have a Wonderful Sunday
    Roger
    Oh my, I'd forgotten entirely about the vegetarian sloppy Joes! They were one of my favorites too, which really surprised me as I ordered the first one with lots of trepidation. I cooked them longer than specified and they came out fantastic, served over a couple of slices of low calorie, high fiber, whole wheat (5 grams carb per slice!) toast.

Too sloppy to be a sandwich, but very yummy! I would also sometimes stir in some beans and additional spice and make a pretty nice bowl of chili out of that one.

Hi Ed
    I was somewhat fearful of those two vegetarian entrees and did not order them. They came as part of the one weeks worth of free food when I signed up. I avoided them until I got low on food when a order ran late and ate them and they were good.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    I was really tired when I got home from orchid judging, but I still got right to it cleaning, peeling and chopping veggies to make roasted veggies. But then while at judging I had texted D to let him know what dinner was going to be, and WHEN, so I boxed myself in there. LOL. I think I needed to do that to myself, but it worked out well.

I got some new red potatoes (CSA box), turnips (CSA box), yellow onion (still had a few old ones to get rid of) and a bell pepper (CSA box) all cleaned, peeled, if needed, large diced, and tossed with some seasoned salt, black pepper, and a little olive oil, in a large ziplock bag, along with some garlic powder. Roasted for half an hour at 450, stirred and roasted for another half an hour. Meanwhile, I prepared the kofta style lamb patties, seasoning the ground lamb with Lebanese 7 Spice, garlic, onion, rosemary, and a little salt, and set some ghee to heating in a large skillet.

The braised kale (CSA box) was ready anytime, as I had started that at about 10:00 this morning. I cleverly timed it all to be ready at the same time, and dinner was served!

I have a leftover plate for lunch or dinner tomorrow too. D liked the lamb OK, and the veggies, but my kale was a bit too spicy for his taste. That's OK. MORE FOR ME!

Hi Again
    It sounds as if You had a busy tiring day. It sounds as if You are still enjoying the CSA box. Around here they are advertising a food prep and delivery service called Lean chefs
    LeanChefs Fresh Diet Delivery offer 3Meals & 2Snacks just $22.99 a day!
    Since I am a curious type I looked at it just for the heck of it as it is too expensive for my tastes. The $22.99 is only for a very short period and then it goes up from there. IMO a very decepetive advertisement.

Plus not that convenient as I remember it from when I looked at it.

Cheers
    Roger
    Hey, Im way late to the party...
    great hockey game, Nate scored two of the 7 goals...they won..always good...
    ANd home. Used the new Instant Pot...did the recommended test...easy to use. Cooked my brown lentils in less than 15 minutes...no complaints there...:)
    Lost my electric....somebody maybe hit a power pole, cuz the recorded message at the Elec. co. said about 1900 folks without power...and they called me back to confirm that I had power when it was fixed. I thought that was really nice.
    Then Fred the plumber came back tonite around 5:30..., long story short tubing needs to be replaced up the entire wall, and into the attic..... ain't it grand....
    I am planning to win that $900Million tonite.
    See you guys in the morning....
    oh, and your assessments of the new foods in NS was interesting. They always discontinued the things I thought were good too Ed...and Roger you're right, they were easy to fix, and made a quick meal prep!

Ok, now really saying good nite...

Hi How nice that they won and 2 out of 7 goals is outstanding too.

Glad to hear You like the Instant Pot.

We always said that when The lights flickered or went out for a little while in bad weather too. Our electric company does call back with an automated message if You report the outage.

Sorry to hear about the tubing, More darned expenses.

Have a Good Sunday
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! Slept in a little bit this morning. Really was feeling totally exhausted last night, so didn't stay up all that much later after dinner. At least it was a nice dinner, and there are leftovers.

I see no one won the big one and now it's up to 1.2 billion estimated! I'm sure with ticket purchases, that number will rise even higher by Wednesday. And I'll probably need to make sure we have another role of paper for the lotto printer at work!

I don't even need the whole 1.2 billion...just a million or two will be fine. I can share...

Hi Once more
    Now I don;t have to rush and check my lottery tickets if no one won the big one. I can just wait til I go where they sell them and use the counter scanner to see if I have any type of winner. 1.2 Billion? We are talking serious money now. I suspect lots of people will hit this one however.

Stay Warm and Dry
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Supposed to have another hard freeze tonight. I've got some beef stock and additional marrow bones, carrot, onion, and celery going in my biggest crock, and a few pounds of oxtail thawing in the top of the fridge. After straining the enriched broth I'm making, and then cooking it again with the oxtail (which will enrich it still more!) and then adding some veggies and a little potato, I should have some excellent, rib sticking, hot winter soup to warm my innards!

• GardenKatGardens
    Morning Guys!
    I slept in too...ran the sweeper to get up the cat hair, and am finishing my second cup of coffee...
    Need to hit the shower, since I have no idea when Fred may phone, and then 're-appear'.
    Yesterday was my brother John's birthday...when I called him, 'we' decided that PowerBall would make a nice, and fitting gift....guess 'we' were just a bit over anxious! So, Wednesday is my deceased brother Buds, son's birthday....again, would make a nice gift....even if shared with multiple people as Roger suggested!

I am sometime today making a Walmart run.....its about these cats, and litter boxes. Jeeze! Adorable Tom E. has now been seen using both boxes....which leaves poor scaredy old Hoot nothing but my green kitchen throw rug...UGH! At least I got smart last night and turned the rug over, so today all I had to do was clean off the latex side of the rug. AND, if I catch Tom E. in this new box....I'll have to wring his precious little neck!!!

Kids play today in Columbus GA at 2 p.m., so I suspect they are on the road now. Hope they do well. Would be nice to come home in a 'happy' car! :)

Ok....shower time, and get my day rolling!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Enriched beef broth still simmering, so still enriching. The marrow is partially dissolved now. By the time I get home from work I expect it will be ready to turn off, strain, refrigerate and then, when hardened, scrape off the fat. I replaced about a cup of liquid that had evaporated.

Tomorrow I'll probably make the oxtail soup.

For now, it's off to the frigid salt mines!

• GardenKatGardens
    Frigid it is....21 degrees on my back porch. BRRRR! Checked all my faucets...everything dripping.
    Supposed to be this 'wrong' all week long...UGH!

Busy, but usual Monday ahead. First up, need to get to the bottom of my coffee cup :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I have decided to delay my walk today until after Noontime. Wind chill is down in the teens. Some change after yesterdays near record to record warmth here in NJ. Newark NJ for example hit 64 degrees. This morning nearby it is under the freezing mark :(

Have a Good Monday
    Roger
    Morning Guys!
    I slept in too...ran the sweeper to get up the cat hair, and am finishing my second cup of coffee...
    Need to hit the shower, since I have no idea when Fred may phone, and then 're-appear'.
    Yesterday was my brother John's birthday...when I called him, 'we' decided that PowerBall would make a nice, and fitting gift....guess 'we' were just a bit over anxious! So, Wednesday is my deceased brother Buds, son's birthday....again, would make a nice gift....even if shared with multiple people as Roger suggested!

I am sometime today making a Walmart run.....its about these cats, and litter boxes. Jeeze! Adorable Tom E. has now been seen using both boxes....which leaves poor scaredy old Hoot nothing but my green kitchen throw rug...UGH! At least I got smart last night and turned the rug over, so today all I had to do was clean off the latex side of the rug. AND, if I catch Tom E. in this new box....I'll have to wring his precious little neck!!!

Kids play today in Columbus GA at 2 p.m., so I suspect they are on the road now. Hope they do well. Would be nice to come home in a 'happy' car! :)

Ok....shower time, and get my day rolling!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    The Joys of pets :)
    1.3 billion, what a jackpot, wow!

Cheers
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Enriched beef broth still simmering, so still enriching. The marrow is partially dissolved now. By the time I get home from work I expect it will be ready to turn off, strain, refrigerate and then, when hardened, scrape off the fat. I replaced about a cup of liquid that had evaporated.

Tomorrow I'll probably make the oxtail soup.

For now, it's off to the frigid salt mines!

Hi Ed
    You are quite the cook. I OTOH am a lazy cook. I could eat many of the same few things all month long and have in the past done that too.

Cheers
    Roger
    Frigid it is....21 degrees on my back porch. BRRRR! Checked all my faucets...everything dripping.
    Supposed to be this 'wrong' all week long...UGH!

Busy, but usual Monday ahead. First up, need to get to the bottom of my coffee cup :)

Later...

Hi Again
    It sounds as if You are even colder than where I am today, Brrr...

Stay Warm
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    Monday I pulled out one of the new spare pairs of shoes and changed out the ones I had been wearing that had wear on the soles. Much more comfortable after the walk. What I did when i used the last pair was check on Amazon and Voila, The same model and size was still available so I ordered two more pairs and put them in the closet.

Cold and sunny out currently. I was out walking and with no breeze it was more comfortable than Yesterday even though the real temperature was where Yesterdays Wind chill reading was.

Time to revisit my upcoming order and finalize what I want and use another gift card to finish paying for it. That should leave enough for one more order, Hopefully they go on sale again before the order after that.

Have a Good Tuesday
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Still cold.............:(
    Good Tuesday Morning!
    Everything dripped all night, thats a good thing. Cats wanted out...so out they are. I've cleaned their boxes, about to run the sweeper to get the hair. Why do I feel like the upstairs maid?

For the record. I am loving this Instant Pot. Last night I cooked 3 medium sized beets in 14 minutes..:) and day before I cooked the best tasting carrots in the IP in 2 minutes and they were so sweet!!!
    Today I'm going to try cabbage for lunch....
    Ed, it is easy to clean. The 6 quart stainless steel pot, which is of course removable cleans like a dream, and can also be put in the dishwasher. Other than that, its check and wash the seal...which I haven't done every time, (it too goes in the dishwasher...not that I would), remove the little guard thingy to see that the steam release do-dad is free of gunk, and you're ready to go again. SWEET!!!!

Roger, good deal on the shoes! Walking and running does wear out the soles much quicker that you'd expect, and surely long before the tops wear out!! Wonder if there's a sinister reason for that??? :)

My second cup of coffee has gotten sufficiently cold to warrant a visit to the microwave, so I guess my day is about to begin for real....gym, tomatoes and an avocado, and a couple banana's from the mex. market, and I'm home again. Wonder if I can get all that done and be back before noon??? I think I can...said the little red engine, as it huffed and puffed and........... :):):smiley:

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's still terrific Tuesday, though I've not posted yet today. Slept an extra our until 4:00 and then had to scurry to get to work, so no time for online activity at all. Last night was Orchid Society, and we were up late.

Got up to find that J had, for some reason, decided to turn off my crockpot with the broth simmering in it. I guess he was so tired he forgot that it wasn't on the same circuit as the microwave and he wanted to warm some food up. Then he forgot to turn the crockpot back on. If he was that tired, he probably wouldn't have remembered what setting I had it on anyway...I had to wake him to find out WHY he had turned it off, and WHEN he turned it off, to decide whether it was safe to turn it back on.

In the end, I did turn it back on (it was still pretty warm, but not hot) and just a while ago strained the broth into a bowl for use making soup, maybe tomorrow.

I've had my dinner, waiting on J to get home to warm him some leftovers.

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday. And it's above freezing out there! Barely, at 33 but I'll take it!

Only supposed to get to 46 today but that's acceptable for January. Tag day, if my tags actually come this week. Still may need to see about the ones from last week if there aren't replacements this week.

Off to the rat mines.

• RogerToo
    edited January 2016
    Hi
    It is cold and windy today out there and I can handle either however I did decide o take a down day from walking as it has been a while since I did that :) Currently I hear the coffee maker brewing my morning coffee.

There was a trace of snow on the ground last night, This morning not a trace of it despite the low temperatures. I suspect that the winds have dried it all away. Good for commuters and walkers. It was gusting pretty hard last night when I went off for a decent nights sleep.

Have a Good Wednesday
    Roger
    Still cold.............:(
    Good Tuesday Morning!
    Everything dripped all night, thats a good thing. Cats wanted out...so out they are. I've cleaned their boxes, about to run the sweeper to get the hair. Why do I feel like the upstairs maid?

For the record. I am loving this Instant Pot. Last night I cooked 3 medium sized beets in 14 minutes..:) and day before I cooked the best tasting carrots in the IP in 2 minutes and they were so sweet!!!
    Today I'm going to try cabbage for lunch....
    Ed, it is easy to clean. The 6 quart stainless steel pot, which is of course removable cleans like a dream, and can also be put in the dishwasher. Other than that, its check and wash the seal...which I haven't done every time, (it too goes in the dishwasher...not that I would), remove the little guard thingy to see that the steam release do-dad is free of gunk, and you're ready to go again. SWEET!!!!

Roger, good deal on the shoes! Walking and running does wear out the soles much quicker that you'd expect, and surely long before the tops wear out!! Wonder if there's a sinister reason for that??? :)

My second cup of coffee has gotten sufficiently cold to warrant a visit to the microwave, so I guess my day is about to begin for real....gym, tomatoes and an avocado, and a couple banana's from the mex. market, and I'm home again. Wonder if I can get all that done and be back before noon??? I think I can...said the little red engine, as it huffed and puffed and........... :):):smiley:

Hi Valerie
    Pipes not freezing is a very good thing. That is the one thing I worry about with hot water baseboard heat if the power goes out for a extended period of time.

Good to hear that You are loving Your new Kitchen toy :)

I have my morning coffee that I made since I am not walking today in a Thermos someone gave me to keep it hot and still allow me to turn off the coffee maker. It has one of those tops where You press the middle to pour and press again to seal it. I suspect You and I are both alike in not wanting to drink cold coffee. My Brother OTOH it doesn't seem to matter to him.

I don't think there is anything sinister with the way the soles wear in my case, The Tops look nearly new but the way I walk the outside of the heels wears off and since that is a smaller surface than the entire heel area or sole of the shoe I suspect that is the only reason. I should talk to a foot doctor and see if they can help with inserts. I may go later tomorrow and hit the post office and walk into a foot doctor I pass when I go that way and make sure they take Medicare first then make an appointment.

I wimped out and let my brother pick up bananas when he went to the produce store on Monday, this morning they are ripe enough to eat, barely but that is good as it will be days before I use them all up. I weighed them and had the heaviest this morning. I am working on the theory that as they ripen the calorie count goes up so use the largest first before they get super sweet. I could also be wrong with that theory :)
    OTOH I do not feel bad as often when he is going grocery shopping I put on the back pack and do the produce store shopping for both of us while working. Division of labor, That's the key!

Have a successful warm shopping trip
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's still terrific Tuesday, though I've not posted yet today. Slept an extra our until 4:00 and then had to scurry to get to work, so no time for online activity at all. Last night was Orchid Society, and we were up late.

Got up to find that J had, for some reason, decided to turn off my crockpot with the broth simmering in it. I guess he was so tired he forgot that it wasn't on the same circuit as the microwave and he wanted to warm some food up. Then he forgot to turn the crockpot back on. If he was that tired, he probably wouldn't have remembered what setting I had it on anyway...I had to wake him to find out WHY he had turned it off, and WHEN he turned it off, to decide whether it was safe to turn it back on.

In the end, I did turn it back on (it was still pretty warm, but not hot) and just a while ago strained the broth into a bowl for use making soup, maybe tomorrow.

I've had my dinner, waiting on J to get home to warm him some leftovers.

Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday. And it's above freezing out there! Barely, at 33 but I'll take it!

Only supposed to get to 46 today but that's acceptable for January. Tag day, if my tags actually come this week. Still may need to see about the ones from last week if there aren't replacements this week.

Off to the rat mines.

Hi Ed
    I wish it was above freezing here. It is in the low 20s with a wind chill of 11 degrees. It looks like a nice day, however I can see the decorative grasses in the yard across the street bending over so windy it is.

Hopefully the tags will come while the weather is decent. At least You are escaping the worst of winter weather so far. According to the news last night I70 and I74 were disasters from the snow out west from where I am and of course up north and west of Your area too.

Lucky You, Our Kitchen the outlets on both sides of the room are on the same circuit. When a Electric skillet was being used and the coffee maker and toaster I had to to the basement and reset the breaker. Now The Electric skillet has been binned and I just do one thing at a time, Coffee maker, Stick Blender, Toaster and Microwave one at a time in sequence as needed.

The new Bargain toaster sure does toast better that the old one. I suspect that it gets hotter as it is a two slice vs 4 slice for the old toaster. My suspicion is that the 4 slice one used less wattage per side to keep the current draw from overloading the circuit.

Good news that You did not have to throw out the crock pot contents
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Got it goin' this morning!
    I opted out from attending O's gymnastics yesterday, as I forgot to buy gas for the car....I did that first thing this morning ($1.629 a gallon :) ), I had a bit less than a gallon left, so good thing I did'nt try to drive last night!
    I picked up my frozen, wild, organic blueberries that I love so much, and some tasty apples....and then I was stuck...I knew there was one more thing that I needed...but What??. So I"m wondering up and down the isles at Costco, and it hit me....Pepper!!! Unfortunately I said it out loud, and scared the h*ll out of some poor woman who' back was turned to me, looking at some item!!! I did apologize..but inside I was laughing! So, got my course ground black pepper and came home. Started a load of laundry to wash while I ate lunch, and soon Its off to buy lottery tickets for tonite. I could live with/on 1.5Billion bucks! Yep, I could do that!

Roger, the things that pull a lot of electricity create heat...toaster, Micro, toasters, etc. The stick blender probably could be used while any of them are in use. I doubt they use any more watts than a light bulb... Sorry you had to go reset the breaker...but at least you learned what was on what circuits!!! When Jack was over last month putting the new florescent light fixture over the kitchen sink we had to go thru about 8 breakers to find the right one.

Ed, hope you don't have many tags, or that you can wait until the sun is on your back! The sun feels pretty good, shady areas...not so much!

Ok, off to get provisions for the week, and the important winning lottery ticket!!! :)
    and then back out for a short time in the gym...home and happy, start the 2nd load of laundry while I talk to Jack on his drive home. I know I'll catch heck for letting my gas tank get so low...it was not intentional I assure you! (I had to take him gasoline for the Challenger once while he was in High School....so had I run out we'd have called it 'payback'.....30+ years later!!! LOL!!!!)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    I made the oxtail soup today, and there was a little bit more broth than I needed, so at lunch (while the soup was going in the crockpot) I warmed up that last bit of broth and had it as part of my lunch. Delicious broth!

And the oxtail soup was ready at dinner, and my bowl came out great poured over some torn up ciabatta rolls.

D is in the living room now eating some, and may come back for more, as he only took a small serving to start. Wasn't sure he'd like it, but I think it's a winner. :)

Leftovers for tomorrow too!

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! I didn't win anything in the big powerball drawing, but someone did.

Guess I'll be heading off to work today then...

• GardenKatGardens
    Lunch time! says the clock
    I am loving this Instant Pot more and more! Today I sautéd the onion, green pepper and garlic, then added the unsoaked pinto's....less than half hour later I was eating them! :)
    For someone who eats meat this would be a godsend! I'm thinking of getting another for my DIL next Christmas....maybe. I've given her waffle iron, iron skillets, etc, because she asked for them....she just doesn't know she wants this yet!!! :)

Sunny here and should be warmer than yesterday...its already 50...cats are out for the day. Boxes are cleaned...I'll put our fresh water later today. They'll sleep well tonite. :)

I think gym is the only item on my list today...well, maybe shampoo carpet...maybe.

Later...