Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,306 Member
    edited December 2015
    Tag day sometimes moves because of a holiday, but it was this morning and there wasn't a whole lot to it. The tag fairy DID have to change ONE of the tags on top of the pumps, but it wasn't really raining yet when that happened. Later, though...I was wondering where I could find some gopher wood!

My CSA box for this week, scheduled for delivery tomorrow, New Year’s Eve:

2 Hass Avocados (Can you say Guacamole? I knew that you could!)
    5 Cavendish Bananas
    .75 pounds Yellow Beans
    1 Marsh Red Grapefruit
    1 bunch Green Kale
    3 Green Kiwi Fruit
    1 bunch Red Boston Lettuce
    1 Yellow Onion
    1 Green Bell Pepper
    3 Orlando Tangelos
    2 Slicing Tomatoes
    1 pound Purple Top Turnips

And, since it’s my third order, a Recurring Order credit of $10, making this SMALL box come in at the price of a TINY box, only $28.56, delivered.

:)
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! Off to the rat mines.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

All mushrooms are edible. Some only once...
  • parityanimal
    CSA box arrived! The avocados will have to soften up for two or three days before I can make Guacamole (or anything else edible) from them. The bananas are also not quite ready for prime time, but hopefully some will ripen just a tad faster than the others so I don't suddenly find myself with 5 VERY RIPE bananas. If I do, then I guess it's banana bread time!

I'll probably snip, clean, and freeze the yellow beans tomorrow. The kale should be fine for a few days, maybe even a week. The lettuce will be salads for a few days. I think it will hold long enough for me to let the tomatoes redden up a bit more.

I already ate one of the tangelos. Delicious!

And yesterday I roasted some of the first week's turnips, with other veggies, shaken in a bag with salt, pepper, olive oil and other seasoning, then roasted until done to my satisfaction. They went very nicely with a piece of pan fried grouper.

J has been out of town so much (his father is having some problems) that I haven't been able to use up the veggies and fruit as quickly as planned, since it's just ME eating most of them. I may send some of the fruit back with him in a couple of days. He's here for a few, so I'm planning to use some more up while he's here! I'm working on using up the more perishable stuff and altering the box for next week to have more stuff that holds well. Nothing has yet gone to waste, and my plan is that nothing will! I'm eating more fruit and veggies than I have in a long time and it feels good.

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. We're starting off the new year on a cooler note, thank goodness. 40 degrees out there right now and only supposed to get to 51 today.

Off to the salt races!

Happy New Year!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi All
    Chilly out and downright cold when the wind blew.
    I picked up a Dunkin Donuts Coffee on my walk and tried out the Mittens my brother gave me for Christmas.
    They did a better job in the cold than the gloves do. They are the same brand and warmth rating so it appears
    he is right when he says Mittens are warmer.

I had too much ham on the 29th and Chinese for lunch with my brother and a friend and then
    Yesterday we had Brunch, 10:30AM with two friends and now today is New Years Day and
    I do not know what the day brings yet.

I did a look back and calculation of weight loss since starting NS. 2014 was 129 and 2015 was 79.25 lost.
    Weight loss has slowed down as the weight has dropped.

Happy New Years Day
    Roger
    Good Rainy, sloppy but comfortable Wednesday!
    Keurig...you got it right Roger... I use mine for hot water and tea bag if I just want a cup.
    My SIL had those coffee (pseudo) bags when we were in Texas. Handy!!

Heading for ATL..hopefully a clear highway, chiro appt. afternoon with Ted.

Ed, I didn't know tag day was a 'movable' day!! So, hope it is Saturday this week also.
    It will be colder, but DRY..or so they say. Last I heard we were 16 inches ABOVE normal rainfall,
    and that was Before this last batch of rain...but, not as bad off as so many, so not complaining.

Gotta run. HA HA.(your morning joke)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I think we are in a minor drought here, 10 or 11 inches below normal.

Cheers
    Roger
    Tag day sometimes moves because of a holiday,
    but it was this morning and there wasn't a whole lot to it.
    The tag fairy DID have to change ONE of the tags on top of the pumps,
    but it wasn't really raining yet when that happened. Later, though...
    I was wondering where I could find some gopher wood!

My CSA box for this week, scheduled for delivery tomorrow, New Year’s Eve:

2 Hass Avocados (Can you say Guacamole? I knew that you could!)
    5 Cavendish Bananas
    .75 pounds Yellow Beans
    1 Marsh Red Grapefruit
    1 bunch Green Kale
    3 Green Kiwi Fruit
    1 bunch Red Boston Lettuce
    1 Yellow Onion
    1 Green Bell Pepper
    3 Orlando Tangelos
    2 Slicing Tomatoes
    1 pound Purple Top Turnips

And, since it’s my third order, a Recurring Order credit of $10,
    making this SMALL box come in at the price of a TINY box, only $28.56, delivered.

Hi Ed
    The regular bananas were not ripe at the produce store Wednesday so when I saw small (tiny) Bananas
    that were ripe I bought I bought a bunch of them and three green regular size ones. It takes three of the small ones
    to equal the weight of a regular sized one and they seem a little mealy to me too. Taste is OK but they were more money
    and I will not be getting them again.

Congratulations on getting a discount, $10 is a decent discount amount
    Roger
    CSA box arrived! The avocados will have to soften up for two or three days
    before I can make Guacamole (or anything else edible) from them. The bananas are also not quite ready for prime time,
    but hopefully some will ripen just a tad faster than the others so I don't suddenly find myself with 5 VERY RIPE bananas.
    If I do, then I guess it's banana bread time!

I'll probably snip, clean, and freeze the yellow beans tomorrow. The kale should be fine for a few days,
    maybe even a week. The lettuce will be salads for a few days. I think it will hold long enough for me to let the
    tomatoes redden up a bit more.

I already ate one of the tangelos. Delicious!

And yesterday I roasted some of the first week's turnips, with other veggies, shaken in a bag with salt,
    pepper, olive oil and other seasoning, then roasted until done to my satisfaction.
    They went very nicely with a piece of pan fried grouper.

J has been out of town so much (his father is having some problems) that I haven't been able to use up the veggies
    and fruit as quickly as planned, since it's just ME eating most of them. I may send some of the fruit back with
    him in a couple of days. He's here for a few, so I'm planning to use some more up while he's here! I'm working
    on using up the more perishable stuff and altering the box for next week to have more stuff that holds well.
    Nothing has yet gone to waste, and my plan is that nothing will! I'm eating more fruit and veggies than I have in a
    long time and it feels good.

Hi Ed
    I like vegetables so eating lots of them would not bother me. I suppose You could always freeze the beans.

That is what we did with the last bananas that went really ripe, Made Banana Nut Muffins.
    Howdy y'all. We're starting off the new year on a cooler note, thank goodness.
    40 degrees out there right now and only supposed to get to 51 today.

Off to the salt races!

Happy New Year!

Hi Again
    And I am unhappy that we are going cooler :)

Gopher wood! It must have been pouring really hard.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Happy New Year!!!
    I slept thru midnight! Not at all unusual...and then Hoot, the wildest cat, sat at my bedside and meowed till he woke me up!??? (wonder how long that took...LOL!) it was 4:30. Tom E was lurking, and they both made for the place mat where I put their food bowl....this won't happen again! (I hope)..
    They're both being perfect old gentlemen...so far so good!

Gopher Wood....??? I'd never heard the expression... yes, it did rain like all get out on Wednesday. Glad you could get the outdoor tag switched between deluges, Ed.
    Your CSA boxes sound great. Will put that on my to-do list for Monday! Not to startle you, but the small box will be my choice. I eat (or am supposed to eat, 20 ounces of veg a day...yep, thats a lot!) But it keeps me full, and is doing the weight reduction trick very well. I can break that down into cooked or fresh. So I can do veg oz, and salad oz., etc. No real rules as to how I break up the 20 ounces.
    Glad to know you're eating more veggies!

Roger, had to grin about the mittens.... Yes, your brother was right! 2 reasons Mom's put mittens on littles...one cuz its Easier than trying to cram 10 little fingers into gloves, and because it keeps their little fingers warmer!!!
    I admire your commitment to walking...I know outdoor walking in cooler temps really is invigorating, but so is running from the car to the treadmill!!! LOL!!! :smiley:

Nothing exactly planned for today, except that dash to the TM...and watching the Winter Ice Hockey outdoor game. Its always fun, and Boston is playing, so I have a team to root for!! :) I believe its to be broadcast on NBC. So, will plan accordingly today.
    Also Ted gave me a 'coloring book' for Christmas..we all got Coloring Books, and each got different methods of coloring...pencils, markers, brush markers, etc....I got water colors in pencil form, with a really nice brush...so, color with the pencils, then control the water in the brush to get different effects. Ted told me I could then go back into the area with the pencils again for really sharp lines, etc. Should be fun... I'll look for the least liked page in the book, and use that to practice on! :)
    So, an afternoon of watercoloring, hockey, and bunny slippers...this could be interesting!! LOL!!!

Again, Happy New Year, and I hope it brings Joy and Fulfillment, Health and Happiness for you both.
    Valerie
  • RogerToo
    Happy New Year!!!
    I slept thru midnight! Not at all unusual...and then Hoot, the wildest cat, sat at my bedside and meowed till he
    woke me up!??? (wonder how long that took...LOL!) it was 4:30. Tom E was lurking, and they both made for the
    place mat where I put their food bowl....this won't happen again! (I hope)..
    They're both being perfect old gentlemen...so far so good!

Gopher Wood....??? I'd never heard the expression... yes, it did rain like all get out on Wednesday.
    Glad you could get the outdoor tag switched between deluges, Ed.
    Your CSA boxes sound great. Will put that on my to-do list for Monday! Not to startle you,
    but the small box will be my choice. I eat (or am supposed to eat, 20 ounces of veg a day...yep, thats a lot!)
    But it keeps me full, and is doing the weight reduction trick very well. I can break that down into cooked or fresh.
    So I can do veg oz, and salad oz., etc. No real rules as to how I break up the 20 ounces.
    Glad to know you're eating more veggies!

Hi kat
    Gopher wood is what Noah used to build the Ark, So I knew right away what that meant :)
    20 Ounces is more than I eat normally. I usually east 12 ounces plus maybe Iceberg Lettuce,
    1/2 a head at a time if I do eat it.
    Roger, had to grin about the mittens.... Yes, your brother was right! 2 reasons Mom's put mittens on littles...
    one cuz its Easier than trying to cram 10 little fingers into gloves, and because it keeps their little fingers warmer!!!
    I admire your commitment to walking...I know outdoor walking in cooler temps really is invigorating,
    but so is running from the car to the treadmill!!! LOL!!! :smiley:
    Hi Again
    They did seem to do the job, I have used the same brand and warmth rating with Brown Jersey gloves inside the
    gloves and the fingers got colder that way than the Mittens only. The hard part was holding the Extra Large
    Dunkin Donuts Coffee while walking with the Mittens :)
    Nothing exactly planned for today, except that dash to the TM...and watching the Winter Ice Hockey outdoor game.
    Its always fun, and Boston is playing, so I have a team to root for!! :) I believe its to be broadcast on NBC.
    So, will plan accordingly today.
    Also Ted gave me a 'coloring book' for Christmas..we all got Coloring Books, and each got different methods of
    coloring...pencils, markers, brush markers, etc....I got water colors in pencil form, with a really nice brush...so,
    color with the pencils, then control the water in the brush to get different effects. Ted told me I could then go
    back into the area with the pencils again for really sharp lines, etc. Should be fun... I'll look for the least liked
    page in the book, and use that to practice on! :)
    So, an afternoon of watercoloring, hockey, and bunny slippers...this could be interesting!! LOL!!!

Again, Happy New Year, and I hope it brings Joy and Fulfillment, Health and Happiness for you both.
    Valerie

Hi
    Thank You for the wishes, I feel like I was not creative that way :(
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Those "baby" bananas have to get kinda brown before I really like them. Even the big ones are best when they get a lot of brown spots on them, and the little ones need MORE brown spots.

New year food was a success. J even ate a bite of greens! I did make them vegetarian for him. He had his Great Northern beans. D and I had black eyed pea, ham, and hog jowl soup. Everyone had fried potatoes, onion, and bell pepper. And I confess I had TWO servings of the corn casserole/spoonbread casserole/corn pudding/whatever your family calls that thing...but then it was the first time I've made that thing in YEARS. J and I both love it, and it's dangerous!

Going for a long nap now. Dishes are all in the dishwasher and it's running.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! 35 degrees out there, and I'll be out in it shortly as I have to work my sixth day this week. But it's only for 5 3/4 hours so that's not too bad I guess. At least it's not supposed to rain!

Had another bowl of my ham and black eyed pea soup for breakfast. One bowl left to have, which will probably be lunch. I didn't have any more of the corn casserole for breakfast, but I wanted to! There is one decent serving left and I am really planning to leave that one for J if I can manage to not pounce on it for lunch. Maybe I'll grab some cornbread at work to have with that last bowl of soup instead. LOL!

I think it needs to be years again before I make that corn casserole...unless, perhaps, I'm taking it to a party where I have no doubt it would be entirely consumed. I gave one of my cousins a point to the recipe (very easy) when she needed something to bring to a tailgate party. She doubled it and said it was a real hit.

Ah well, off to the rat mines.

• RogerToo
    Hi All
    I did walk today despite the weather being much colder than yesterday. I passed a frozen puddle during my walk. The first one I have seen in a while. Add in the breeze and it was chilly out there.

Have a Great New Year
    Roger
    Those "baby" bananas have to get kinda brown before I really like them.
    Even the big ones are best when they get a lot of brown spots on them, and the little ones need MORE brown spots.

New year food was a success. J even ate a bite of greens! I did make them vegetarian for him.
    He had his Great Northern beans. D and I had black eyed pea, ham, and hog jowl soup.
    Everyone had fried potatoes, onion, and bell pepper. And I confess I had TWO servings of the
    corn casserole/spoonbread casserole/corn pudding/whatever your family calls that thing...
    but then it was the first time I've made that thing in YEARS. J and I both love it, and it's dangerous!

Going for a long nap now. Dishes are all in the dishwasher and it's running.

Hi Ed
    I do not mind the Large bananas before they get brown spots, They just have a different texture and less of a
    sweet taste IMO. FWIW I have moved the little bananas into my never buy again column, the price is not good
    compared to regular bananas, I only bought them as they were ripe and the others were dead ripe.

I do not recall ever having the corn casserole You mention. In NJ we have had Jimmy Buffs Italian Hot Dogs since
    I was a kid.

A Jimmy Buff Italian hot dog goes on a quarter of a large roll of Italian "Pizza" bread (sort of a fat pita).
    The dog is cooked in Hot Oils and then topped with sauteed onions, peppers and potatoes.
    You can also order a double, which is two dogs on a half a "Pizza" roll.
    Or you can order Italian Sausage Sandwich which is made the same but with delicious Italian Sausage instead of Hot Dogs.

They are greasy but so good.
    Link with a picture of a double. http://www.jimmybuff.com/display.php?page=home

TMI?
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! 35 degrees out there, and
    I'll be out in it shortly as I have to work my sixth day this week. But it's only for 5 3/4 hours so that's
    not too bad I guess. At least it's not supposed to rain!

Had another bowl of my ham and black eyed pea soup for breakfast.
    One bowl left to have, which will probably be lunch. I didn't have any more of the corn casserole for breakfast,
    but I wanted to! There is one decent serving left and I am really planning to leave that one for J if I can
    manage to not pounce on it for lunch. Maybe I'll grab some cornbread at work to have with that last
    bowl of soup instead. LOL!

I think it needs to be years again before I make that corn casserole...unless, perhaps, I'm taking it to a party
    where I have no doubt it would be entirely consumed. I gave one of my cousins a point to the recipe (very easy)
    when she needed something to bring to a tailgate party. She doubled it and said it was a real hit.

Ah well, off to the rat mines.

Hi Again
    Cold outside today, 30 degrees more or less, going down to 18 degrees overnight next week for a couple of days, Yuck!

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Saturday Afternoon...
    Hockey early morning...stopped at WFoods on the way back..got more kale, swiss chard, a wonderful avocado roll of some kind. Wrapped in rice paper skins, with bean thread, veg, avocado and a little packet of Spicy sauce...all good! May not have been 100% diet, but surely close enough. And the Fried tofu was fresh, hot and yes, I bought some of that, and had 4 ounces with my avocado roll for protein...and they had the green chick pea humus...that came home with some veg's to make 'dippers' tomorrow!

Ed...corn casserole!!!!! OH, yes please!!! Not on my 'edible' list, but do I ever remember how good!MMMM
    By now your shift is over and you've probably already eaten your lunch soup! Sounded good too..

Roger...Jimmy Buff sandwiches. Missed them while I lived in Jersey! Or, rather I lived in the wrong PART of Jersey most likely. I had to giggle when you mentioned the difficulty of mittens and holding a Lg Coffee....now imagine trying to smoke in mittens. Yep, I gave up the mittens!!!

I've cleaned up today's supply of cat fur...I loved my Dyson before for the ease of it being cordless...but let me tell you, Tom E. sheds as badly as any Husky...he's just smaller! :) Same longer outer hair, and soft fine baby undercoat that sticks like super glue! IYEEEE!!!

Little guys played a great game. Both teams were short kids, so they played the whole game 4 on 4, which when I think about it, should be good 'practice' for the times they have a player in the sin bin!

I need to make a gym run...later :)

Tomorrow... OH, tomorrow is another early morning hockey game...in Roswell/Sandy Springs area..so I'll be the late one again :)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2016
    RogerToo wrote: »
    I do not recall ever having the corn casserole You mention. In NJ we have had Jimmy Buffs Italian Hot Dogs since
    I was a kid.

A Jimmy Buff Italian hot dog goes on a quarter of a large roll of Italian "Pizza" bread (sort of a fat pita).
    The dog is cooked in Hot Oils and then topped with sauteed onions, peppers and potatoes.
    Or you can order Italian Sausage Sandwich which is made the same but with delicious Italian Sausage instead of Hot Dogs.

TMI?

Those hot dogs look amazing! I happen to have some Italian sausage links in the freezer but don't need to eat them any time real soon. New year food is all eaten up. I do have a small tur-duc-hen roll that I cooked yesterday to eat up, stuffed with cajun sausage. It should be good. I'll likely snip the yellow beans in a while and clean them to have some with a nice slice of the tur-duc-hen roll for tonight's dinner. Maybe finish off last week's broccoli share and start on this week's lettuce, to have a salad with that.

The evil corn casserole recipe is here. http://www.jiffymix.com/recipe.php/jiffy+corn+muffin+mix/156-spoon+bread+casserole There are other variations on it, and I used a different brand of muffin mix (House Autry) that was .5 ounces less, but that didn't make a difference, other than not being made with lard, so J had no objections to the casserole. I also use Greek yogurt in lieu of the sour cream. The dish I use for the casserole always takes quite a bit longer to set in the middle, over an hour, despite their "35 to 40 minutes" in the directions. Perhaps they use a larger, more shallow dish. I don't know...and the Autry Foods corn muffin mix has their own variation on it, using cream cheese rather than sour cream, but it sounds about as tasty. That recipe is here. http://www.house-autry.com/recipe_display.php?r=44 Somewhat less evil as it uses quite a bity less butter, still sounds good. I've always used the Jiffy recipe, except when I want to make REAL spoon bread, and for that (which is a bit more difficult to pull off) I use an old Kentucky recipe from Boone Tavern, in Berea. Recipe here. http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Boone-Taverns-Spoonbread

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! Finally have a day off. J and I ordered a new microwave oven last night. Hope it works out well. We'll be installing it ourselves, after it arrives, assuming we can do that. I think we'll manage.

• GardenKatGardens
    edited January 2016
    Hi Guys!
    Interesting Sunday at my house. I got up early, left for the hockey game....drove to Roswell Rd, and, was met by DS1...there was no hockey game. A benefit hockey tourny going on.... major screw up on the ice rinks part...so I drove home...
    DS1 here now installing my new under the sink water filter. This is going to be really nice to have!
    No more buying bottled water!!!

Over cast here, cats kicked out of the house, Dyson run to get up the hair, etc... (DS1 allergic)..not planning a trip to the gym...knees are protesting my 6 day stretch, many of those days I ended up with over a thousand MORE steps than recommended by the arthritis folks... hmmmmm.
    Maybe I should listen to them??? :)

Hoot did not come in to wake me last night! Sad thing is, that once he meow's enough and I wake I then have no idea what he wants.... first morning I let him out...forgetting to turn off the alarm..so that was interesting! :)...next night I have NO idea what he wanted. Had food and water, didn't want to go out...so I went back to bed! Do not wake me cuz you are lonesome!!!!

Oh and that Jiffy Corn Bread mix is wonderful...I used to make the 'corn pudding', which seems to be the same as your casserole, in the big Crock Pot (2 boxes), and take it to Jenn's Dad's house for the family Thanksgiving dinner. It was not only good, but kept itself warm, and didn't need last minute heating in the already crowded oven!! Off my list of 'edibles' now...but I do remember it being very tasty...

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi All
    I overachieved on my days walk today + 11 cents. I hit my days goal of steps before 10AM. Today was in the low 20s, 7 degrees colder than yesterday, No breeze thankfully :) I went long today as tomorrow will be even colder so I banked some steps just in case I need to shorten due to the cold tomorrow. Tomorrow I plan to leave later than usual, go by the 7-Eleven for my coffee, then around to the 1st bank and deposit a check, then on towards the end of the walk to the 2nd bank and deposit a check that arrived Saturday to late to go that day.

I used up the last of the small bananas today, 2 before the walk and one blended into a NS vanilla protein shake. Three of them weigh slightly more than a medium banana, then chuck out the bad parts and I should have been on target for banana weight. Then after the walk the protein shake, a NS Frozen Cinnamon Roll, Both very tasty and my Vitamins.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
    Good Saturday Afternoon...
    Hockey early morning...stopped at WFoods on the way back..got more kale, swiss chard, a wonderful avocado roll of some kind. Wrapped in rice paper skins, with bean thread, veg, avocado and a little packet of Spicy sauce...all good! May not have been 100% diet, but surely close enough. And the Fried tofu was fresh, hot and yes, I bought some of that, and had 4 ounces with my avocado roll for protein...and they had the green chick pea humus...that came home with some veg's to make 'dippers' tomorrow!

Ed...corn casserole!!!!! OH, yes please!!! Not on my 'edible' list, but do I ever remember how good!MMMM
    By now your shift is over and you've probably already eaten your lunch soup! Sounded good too..

Roger...Jimmy Buff sandwiches. Missed them while I lived in Jersey! Or, rather I lived in the wrong PART of Jersey most likely. I had to giggle when you mentioned the difficulty of mittens and holding a Lg Coffee....now imagine trying to smoke in mittens. Yep, I gave up the mittens!!!

I've cleaned up today's supply of cat fur...I loved my Dyson before for the ease of it being cordless...but let me tell you, Tom E. sheds as badly as any Husky...he's just smaller! :) Same longer outer hair, and soft fine baby undercoat that sticks like super glue! IYEEEE!!!

Little guys played a great game. Both teams were short kids, so they played the whole game 4 on 4, which when I think about it, should be good 'practice' for the times they have a player in the sin bin!

I need to make a gym run...later :)

Tomorrow... OH, tomorrow is another early morning hockey game...in Roswell/Sandy Springs area..so I'll be the late one again :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    It sounds as if You had a busy pleasurable day.

The first Jimmy Buffs I had was on the border of East Orange and Newark around the corner from my Grandparents, Then They had one in North Plainfield that moved several times. Now the closest one is in Kenilworth, NJ. Not exactly around the corner and at least until I get to Goal weight a forbidden fruit so to speak.

Cheers
    Roger
    RogerToo wrote: »
    I was a kid.

TMI?

Those hot dogs look amazing! I happen to have some Italian sausage links in the freezer but don't need to eat them any time real soon. New year food is all eaten up. I do have a small tur-duc-hen roll that I cooked yesterday to eat up, stuffed with cajun sausage. It should be good. I'll likely snip the yellow beans in a while and clean them to have some with a nice slice of the tur-duc-hen roll for tonight's dinner. Maybe finish off last week's broccoli share and start on this week's lettuce, to have a salad with that.

The evil corn casserole recipe is here. http://www.jiffymix.com/recipe.php/jiffy+corn+muffin+mix/156-spoon+bread+casserole There are other variations on it, and I used a different brand of muffin mix (House Autry) that was .5 ounces less, but that didn't make a difference, other than not being made with lard, so J had no objections to the casserole. I also use Greek yogurt in lieu of the sour cream. The dish I use for the casserole always takes quite a bit longer to set in the middle, over an hour, despite their "35 to 40 minutes" in the directions. Perhaps they use a larger, more shallow dish. I don't know...and the Autry Foods corn muffin mix has their own variation on it, using cream cheese rather than sour cream, but it sounds about as tasty. That recipe is here. http://www.house-autry.com/recipe_display.php?r=44 Somewhat less evil as it uses quite a bity less butter, still sounds good. I've always used the Jiffy recipe, except when I want to make REAL spoon bread, and for that (which is a bit more difficult to pull off) I use an old Kentucky recipe from Boone Tavern, in Berea. Recipe here. http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Boone-Taverns-Spoonbread

Hi Ed
    Spoonbread is a new one to me. Is it a regional thing?

If You can find a Italian bread that would work You could do Your own version of the Jimmy Buffs Italian Sausage.

Have a great Day
    Roger
    Hi Guys!
    Interesting Sunday at my house. I got up early, left for the hockey game....drove to Roswell Rd, and, was met by DS1...there was no hockey game. A benefit hockey tourny going on.... major screw up on the ice rinks part...so I drove home...
    DS1 here now installing my new under the sink water filter. This is going to be really nice to have!
    No more buying bottled water!!!

Over cast here, cats kicked out of the house, Dyson run to get up the hair, etc... (DS1 allergic)..not planning a trip to the gym...knees are protesting my 6 day stretch, many of those days I ended up with over a thousand MORE steps than recommended by the arthritis folks... hmmmmm.
    Maybe I should listen to them??? :)

Hoot did not come in to wake me last night! Sad thing is, that once he meow's enough and I wake I then have no idea what he wants.... first morning I let him out...forgetting to turn off the alarm..so that was interesting! :)...next night I have NO idea what he wanted. Had food and water, didn't want to go out...so I went back to bed! Do not wake me cuz you are lonesome!!!!

Oh and that Jiffy Corn Bread mix is wonderful...I used to make the 'corn pudding', which seems to be the same as your casserole, in the big Crock Pot (2 boxes), and take it to Jenn's Dad's house for the family Thanksgiving dinner. It was not only good, but kept itself warm, and didn't need last minute heating in the already crowded oven!! Off my list of 'edibles' now...but I do remember it being very tasty...

Later...

Hi Again
    It is not that easy installing a water filter under the sink. I have one my sister sent that I am thinking of doing once of these days when motivation is higher than currently.

Screw up indeed. The Kids must have been crushed.

I think if You have arthritis You should probably follow the recommendations for steps. The possibility exists that they know what they are doing :)

Have a Really Nice Sunday
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Yeah Roger, my knees are agreeing with you today! :)
    I didn't see any of the kids, just Jack...since they all played yesterday I think they were probably OK with it being cancelled. It was a screw up for sure!

Jack got the water filter installed pretty quickly. He read the 'destructions', and went to town. I did hold the faucet while he tightened it...but other than that, it went very smoothly and quickly. I know I'm going to enjoy using it!

Tom E is back on 'his' couch napping. Hoot is still outside. I've called several times, but he seems to be ok with being outside for now. Meanwhile, I think I may take a cue from Tom, and have a nap myself!!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Spoonbread is kind of a southern thing. There are a lot of recipes for it. Fried hot water cornbread is another, and has a somewhat spoonbread like texture in the middle, if done correctly.

There is a small wiki article about spoonbread here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonbread

and one for hot water cornbread as well, though not mentioning that there are variations on that one too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_water_corn_bread
  • parityanimal
    Well, J ate a good share of the CSA box tonight! He was planning to leave to go back to Kentucky again, early, but got delayed so I made a taco salad for him (refried beans, organic lettuce, organic tomato) cheese, chips, salsa, and guacamole (made with the avocados, more of the tomato, onion, garlic, etc) and I "helped" eat the remaining guacamole. I had planned to freeze the avocado scoopings until he got back but since he was stuck for a while...I went ahead with the guacamole, and it was delicious!

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 35 out there and only supposed to get to 44 today. But no rain! I can live with that, for sure.

Off to the salt races.

• RogerToo
    Hi All
    Just posting while waiting for time to go do my walk later. I have to wait so that the banks I plan to go to while walking are open.

Later on today the temperatures are forecast to drop as a cold front moves in, currently it is a chilly 30 degrees, no cold front needed in my opinion :)

A heads up from dharris1014 AKA Donna, new items with NS.

Good News regarding new foods with the heads up so I looked and so far I see...
    Snack Items
    Apple Pecan Bites
    Creamy Ranch Snack-A-Rounds
    Salt and Vinegar Snack-A-Rounds
    Smoky BBQ Snack-A-Rounds
    Snickerdoodle Cookie
    Sweet and Salty Snack Mix
    Toffee Crunch Cookies
    Vanilla Shortbread Cookies
    Breakfast Items
    Nothing So Far, I remain Hopeful
    Lunch
    White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
    nutricrush™ Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bar
    Dinner
    Nothing and I saw only Shelf Stable foods too.

However Since I delayed my order on Saturday I can hope for more Breakfast and Dinner Items before the order closes to changes on the 17th.
    Have a Great Week
    Roger
    Yeah Roger, my knees are agreeing with you today! :)
    I didn't see any of the kids, just Jack...since they all played yesterday I think they were probably OK with it being cancelled. It was a screw up for sure!

Jack got the water filter installed pretty quickly. He read the 'destructions', and went to town. I did hold the faucet while he tightened it...but other than that, it went very smoothly and quickly. I know I'm going to enjoy using it!

Tom E is back on 'his' couch napping. Hoot is still outside. I've called several times, but he seems to be ok with being outside for now. Meanwhile, I think I may take a cue from Tom, and have a nap myself!!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Not to much time today as it is nearing the time to go walking. I lost time waiting for the NS website to see the new items.

Good to know the install went easily.
    I tried a nap Sunday and I had a crop failure in the sleep field :)

Cheers
    Roger
    Well, J ate a good share of the CSA box tonight! He was planning to leave to go back to Kentucky again, early, but got delayed so I made a taco salad for him (refried beans, organic lettuce, organic tomato) cheese, chips, salsa, and guacamole (made with the avocados, more of the tomato, onion, garlic, etc) and I "helped" eat the remaining guacamole. I had planned to freeze the avocado scoopings until he got back but since he was stuck for a while...I went ahead with the guacamole, and it was delicious!

Hi Ed
    I had a feeling it might be a regional type of thing. Sort of like a can of Coca Cola can be called Pop, Soda or soda pop depending on where You are.

I hope You have enough CSA left til the next one.
    Roger