Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,686 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday.

Lilo has been fed. I've been fed. I'm planning to consume the rest of the lamb taco salad for lunch later. I've got a chicken thigh cooking in the toaster oven for the sugar gliders, as they'll be finishing off the piece I cooked a few days ago, when I make their dinner tonight.

I put a nice chunk of bottom round roast into a slow cooker, with a can of Golden Mushroom soup, a packet of onion soup mix, a large onion, and a large russet potato. Later, the beef, potato and onion will be cut up and half a bag of peas and carrots added to make a pot of beef stew for dinner.

Which, of course, made me think of this for no reason...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning,
    Quick hello, and then it will be time to attend church. Cats fed, but not me.
    Ed, pondering the cartoon...should all you meat eaters be afraid? or maybe those of us who DON'T partake should be shaking in our boots....or have I missed the obvious? (haven't been up that long..could still be brain fog)

Today I'm doing taxes. Should be a simple half hour or so.....that said....all has to go 'right' with using the old computer which has a disc slot, etc.

Looks like a beautiful day, one that is going to make my little feets head for the outdoors :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    It is really windy today, Wind Chill is somewhat bitter too, I wore my ersatz wind breaker the Lightweight rain jacket:) When walking into the Wind it slowed me to a crawl until it would drop off for a minute or two. I think I missed some money too, That's my guess when I saw someone ahead of me bend down and pick something up off of the sidewalk, Oh Well. 8300+ Steps today.

Currently I am converting some video soundtracks into MP3s to load into the iPod and will be adding some movie soundtracks and 78 RPM records I captured into the computer to the iPod too.

Have a Really Good Sunday
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday.

Lilo has been fed. I've been fed. I'm planning to consume the rest of the lamb taco salad for lunch later. I've got a chicken thigh cooking in the toaster oven for the sugar gliders, as they'll be finishing off the piece I cooked a few days ago, when I make their dinner tonight.

I put a nice chunk of bottom round roast into a slow cooker, with a can of Golden Mushroom soup, a packet of onion soup mix, a large onion, and a large russet potato. Later, the beef, potato and onion will be cut up and half a bag of peas and carrots added to make a pot of beef stew for dinner.

Which, of course, made me think of this for no reason...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI

Hi Ed
    There is no telling what causes something to pop into your head:)

That sounds like a delicious stew.

Have a Enjoyable day off from work
    Roger
    Good Sunday Morning,
    Ed, pondering the cartoon...should all you meat eaters be afraid? or maybe those of us who DON'T partake should be shaking in our boots....or have I missed the obvious? (haven't been up that long..could still be brain fog)

Today I'm doing taxes. Should be a simple half hour or so.....that said....all has to go 'right' with using the old computer which has a disc slot, etc.

Looks like a beautiful day, one that is going to make my little feets head for the outdoors :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Disc Slot? CD, DVD or floppy?

Tax Time for many is coming up, less than 2 weeks left to D-Day.

I have a older Pentium 4 laptop that actually has a 3 1/2 inch floppy drive in it as well as a DVD RW drive.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning,

Later...

Well, at the end of the video, I think they'd caught all the rebellious cows so I think we're OK on that.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Ed, you can see my head was not functioning, thinking about doing my taxes.... I did not see that it was a video... funny one too!!
    I'll try to be awake next post.
    Oh, getting a nice return, which surprised me. E-file done...never did make it out side. My little task with the IRS took me 3 hours??? Oh, well, tomorrow is supposed to be nice too.
    Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Indeed supposed to be quite nice today, so work shouldn't be too bad.

My beef stew and home made potato dough rosemary olive oil rolls were delicious last night and will be again tonight.

Off to the salt races!

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I made my banks run today , Walk actually 8.6K steps worth. It started a light rain part way into it and when I left the bank I ended up putting up the Umbrella. Today's weather is off and on rain and moderately cool, It was in the 30s when I left the house :)

I am sitting here burning a couple of DVDs that I created from Video Captures, And Currently I am putting Windows XP on a old Pentium 4 laptop, I tried loading Windows 10 onto it and it just kept cycling and never partitioned the drive or anything useful. I will try again from within Windows XP and see how that goes. I plan to give to a computerless person and want a windows version that is still getting security updates and not long discontinued like XP. Wish Me luck

Nothing else much going on today.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
    Ed, you can see my head was not functioning, thinking about doing my taxes.... I did not see that it was a video... funny one too!!
    I'll try to be awake next post.
    Oh, getting a nice return, which surprised me. E-file done...never did make it out side. My little task with the IRS took me 3 hours??? Oh, well, tomorrow is supposed to be nice too.
    Later...

Hi Valerie
    I am not surprised that it took that long, more like that is all the time it took? I have tried Turbotax from disc and online and neither was all that fast, It turns out that doing it on paper using a form 1040 was the fastest, OTOH, no e-file that way. I miss the IRS Telefile, that was the easiest, Call in and use the keypad on the phone and done pretty quickly too. My Returns have always been pretty simple as it turns out.

Lucky You with Nice weather in Your forecast, We have had rain 3 of the last 4 days and High winds the fourth day

Have a Good Week
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Indeed supposed to be quite nice today, so work shouldn't be too bad.

My beef stew and home made potato dough rosemary olive oil rolls were delicious last night and will be again tonight.

Off to the salt races!

Hi Ed
    Those rolls sound delicious is the recipe available online?

Thank You
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

On the rolls, I really just winged them but this is approximately what I did (made 18 rolls for me).

It was a two pound bag of all purpose flour, less about a cup...or maybe a half. So...THE REST OF THAT TWO POUND BAG.

What looked like about 1/4 cup of olive oil.

A scant tablespoon of instant yeast

Half a tablespoon salt.

I don't know how much warm water, maybe a cup and a quarter, to a cup and a half.

A good handful of dried, crushed rosemary.

1/3 cup instant potato flakes. I'm sure you could substitute some mashed potatoes instead, and cut the water a bit.

Work all the dry and liquid ingredients together into a fairly stiff dough. Knead for a bit by hand. Form into a ball and place in a large, oiled bowl, turning to coat the dough. Cover loosely and let rise until doubled. Punch down and knead a bit more. Cover again and let rise. Form rolls, whatever shape you like. I used muffin tins for this. Let the rolls rise some and then, if not as risen as you like, you can put them in a cold oven and turn it to 350. Bake until golden brown. If they are already as risen as you would like, then preheat the oven and then put them in and bake until golden brown. I thought they came out quite tasty.
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    MMMMMM, Ed!!!

Good morning, beautiful Tuesday!
    Didn't put sticker on my license plate yesterday, so today, without fail...
    I think it will be a cooking, and chore day. Want to make a batch of hummus, and some sort of casserole-ish something, bake a couple sweet potatoes, and make a pot of magical Red Lentil soup!. I think I must be hungry???

That and some cleaning and dusting should get me thru the day...

Oh, and a gym trip!

I made an awesome salad last night for dinner. (you can tell the weather has gotten warm enough that I'm not craving hot foods) Kroger, (Ed's stores) carry a canned, organic, bean mix of black, pinto, and kidney beans! From there it was all greens and veggies. With that hauntingly good Sweet Vidalia Onion Vinaigrette. (comes in a salad mix. the one with the uncured bacon I toss into the trash, and sunflower seeds) and a sprinkle of those sunflower seeds. I think I will do a little web searching to see if I can find that Vidalia Dressing for sale someplace. Dole makes it..or so it appears.

Oh, oh, I've been meaning to share a grin with Roger....the last Monday in town with DS2 getting my oh, so sharp new chef knife...we were leaving and I spied a penny on the road way. Being a good collector, I looked both directions, bent down and picked it up....only to be really fussed at by Ted! It was funny. My guess is Roger, that its the Ted's of the world that leave those coins for us to find. Last October as we walked his dog, I spied a $5 on the sidewalk, he was getting ready to step over it, unseen. And several many years ago, a $20 bill appeared in my flower bed at the mailbox. (wish I knew what I'd planted that sprouted $20's!)...
    So, money gleaning rule of Ted: You do NOT stop to pick up coin in the middle of the parking lot street, even if you DID look both ways for cars first!!! Response: (oh, yes I DO!!)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    Cold & Windy today, 26 degrees with a wind chill in the teens, Brrrr.....
    7200+ Steps so far and a trip to the supermarket later. That will likely add more than a few steps as they are still moving things around and You need to explore to find anything :)

As I walk I see plenty of spring flowers blooming currently, Daffodils, Grape Hyacinth, Hyacinth, Flowering trees, And Lots of Violets along the sidewalks. Nice time of year to go walking that way. Plenty of Birds using the Bird feeders we have set out in front of the living room window too.

Have a Good Tuesday
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

On the rolls, I really just winged them but this is approximately what I did (made 18 rolls for me).

It was a two pound bag of all purpose flour, less about a cup...or maybe a half. So...THE REST OF THAT TWO POUND BAG.
    What looked like about 1/4 cup of olive oil.
    A scant tablespoon of instant yeast
    Half a tablespoon salt.
    I don't know how much warm water, maybe a cup and a quarter, to a cup and a half.
    A good handful of dried, crushed rosemary.
    1/3 cup instant potato flakes. I'm sure you could substitute some mashed potatoes instead, and cut the water a bit.

Work all the dry and liquid ingredients together into a fairly stiff dough. Knead for a bit by hand. Form into a ball and place in a large, oiled bowl, turning to coat the dough. Cover loosely and let rise until doubled. Punch down and knead a bit more. Cover again and let rise. Form rolls, whatever shape you like. I used muffin tins for this. Let the rolls rise some and then, if not as risen as you like, you can put them in a cold oven and turn it to 350. Bake until golden brown. If they are already as risen as you would like, then preheat the oven and then put them in and bake until golden brown. I thought they came out quite tasty.

Hi Ed
    Thank You for that recipe, it sounds simple enough to make too.

I'm off to try soldering wires to a CR2032 battery for a old laptop.

Have a Good Tuesday
    Roger
    MMMMMM, Ed!!!

Good morning, beautiful Tuesday!
    Didn't put sticker on my license plate yesterday, so today, without fail...
    I think it will be a cooking, and chore day. Want to make a batch of hummus, and some sort of casserole-ish something, bake a couple sweet potatoes, and make a pot of magical Red Lentil soup!. I think I must be hungry???

That and some cleaning and dusting should get me thru the day...

Oh, and a gym trip!

I made an awesome salad last night for dinner. (you can tell the weather has gotten warm enough that I'm not craving hot foods) Kroger, (Ed's stores) carry a canned, organic, bean mix of black, pinto, and kidney beans! From there it was all greens and veggies. With that hauntingly good Sweet Vidalia Onion Vinaigrette. (comes in a salad mix. the one with the uncured bacon I toss into the trash, and sunflower seeds) and a sprinkle of those sunflower seeds. I think I will do a little web searching to see if I can find that Vidalia Dressing for sale someplace. Dole makes it..or so it appears.

Oh, oh, I've been meaning to share a grin with Roger....the last Monday in town with DS2 getting my oh, so sharp new chef knife...we were leaving and I spied a penny on the road way. Being a good collector, I looked both directions, bent down and picked it up....only to be really fussed at by Ted! It was funny. My guess is Roger, that its the Ted's of the world that leave those coins for us to find. Last October as we walked his dog, I spied a $5 on the sidewalk, he was getting ready to step over it, unseen. And several many years ago, a $20 bill appeared in my flower bed at the mailbox. (wish I knew what I'd planted that sprouted $20's!)...
    So, money gleaning rule of Ted: You do NOT stop to pick up coin in the middle of the parking lot street, even if you DID look both ways for cars first!!! Response: (oh, yes I DO!!)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I have been known to go into the street too, I also look both ways, no sense getting squashed for a few cents :)

I wish I was lucky enough to find a $5 or $20 dollar bill. The Best I have done is 2 two dollar bills that were stuck to wet grass. I seem to do best on wet days too. The best day gleaning money was right after the rain had finished.

You seem to have a busy day today

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    OH, lookie, lookie! What I found on line this afternoon!!!

Sweet Onion Citrus Vinaigrette.

Ingredients

1 clove Fresh Garlic, minced
    ½ Cup Sweet Onion, diced
    1 whole Orange, squeezed
    ¼ Cup Olive Oil
    ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    ¼ Cup Dijon Mustard
    1 tbsp Honey
    1 tsp Sea Salt
    Directions

Place all ingredients in a blender.
    Blend until smooth.
    Enjoy!
    I loved this dressing. For lunches this week, I have put this dressing over a bed of kale and cabbage with shredded carrots, grilled chicken and almond slices. Also very good over a bed of spinach and arugula and then topped it with cherry tomatoes

According to the poster, this is the Dole Salad Dressing that I so much love!! I have half a bottle of the Ken's Lite Sweet Onion Dressing, and then I will be trying this...looks easy enough!!! :) BTW, the Ken's I bought is pretty good so if you're not into making salad dressing you might like this.
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Tag day already again. 10% chance of rain this morning but a much greater chance tonight (like 100%) so it will be wetter tomorrow than this morning.

If I bought a salad with uncured bacon in it, I'd be more likely to toss everything else in the trash and eat the bacon!

Off to the salt races!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    Once again it was cold outside, At least there was no wind.
    I Lost track of my steps, the battery on my Fitbit died :(
    Rain in the forecast for tomorrow, yuck.

I'm running out of time today too.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    OH, lookie, lookie! What I found on line this afternoon!!!

Sweet Onion Citrus Vinaigrette.

Ingredients

1 clove Fresh Garlic, minced
    ½ Cup Sweet Onion, diced
    1 whole Orange, squeezed
    ¼ Cup Olive Oil
    ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    ¼ Cup Dijon Mustard
    1 tbsp Honey
    1 tsp Sea Salt
    Directions

Place all ingredients in a blender.
    Blend until smooth.
    Enjoy!
    I loved this dressing. For lunches this week, I have put this dressing over a bed of kale and cabbage with shredded carrots, grilled chicken and almond slices. Also very good over a bed of spinach and arugula and then topped it with cherry tomatoes

According to the poster, this is the Dole Salad Dressing that I so much love!! I have half a bottle of the Ken's Lite Sweet Onion Dressing, and then I will be trying this...looks easy enough!!! :) BTW, the Ken's I bought is pretty good so if you're not into making salad dressing you might like this.

Hi Valerie
    I have found that there are websites that post the recipes for most all commercial things, Such as the McDonalds Big Mac Sauce, A simple search and Voila.

That does sound delicious, might be a little high on calories, not sure. The NS salad dressings are not all that low in calories, I'm not sure why either, You would think one small packet would be lower than 60 calories.

At the moment I am running short on free time between my interests and keeping my Brother company so quick and easy beats everything else.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Tag day already again. 10% chance of rain this morning but a much greater chance tonight (like 100%) so it will be wetter tomorrow than this morning.

If I bought a salad with uncured bacon in it, I'd be more likely to toss everything else in the trash and eat the bacon!

Off to the salt races!

Hi Ed
    I suspect I would crisp the bacon up and test the taste and then turn it into bacon bits for the salad.
    Supposedly Uncured bacon is better for You, Less Nitrates or maybe it is Nitrites.

Tomorrows rain may keep me from walking if the forecast is correct. Oh Well.

Enjoy Your Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Hi!
    Still Wednesday! I got my act together and went grocery shopping FIRST! :)
    Eating my giant salad (no bacon of any kind :) ), Have everything to make the salad dressing, I have a day, maybe two before the bottled kind is gone...then I'll clean the bottle very well, and use it to hold my home made dressing!

Roger, sorry your Fitbit battery croaked. But glad you mentioned it, I put mine on the charger while I eat! It 'may' have been good til Saturday morning, but sometimes it doesn't make it from Sat to Sat. So...

Ed, its not too bad outside today. I had looked at the outside temp, and bundled up...too bundled, got quite warm. And the rain is 'supposed' to be out of here by rush hour tomorrow. You know how that goes though.

For now, going to concentrate on feeding my face...

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! Supposed to be pretty nice by the end of the day, if not earlier.

Off to the rat mines!

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Thursday Morning,
    Ed, have a good day playing with the rats!. At least it should be a decent day in the mines. :)

List today...Walmart for CatFood (thats a MUST) some time on the bike, and something to make with some tofu that 'expires' today. Hmmmm. I think maybe a marinade and some oven time will work!
    Also a bit of time on the yard. Should be enough to keep me out of trouble for the day.

Roger how are your trees and berry bushes looking?

It is supposed to be in the lower 30's Saturday night ... so I checked with the blackberry canes that I hadn't cut off yet, and sure enough, they are blooming. So, the old timer's description of 'Dogwood Winter, and Blackberry Winter' is true again this year!

Cats have been fed, and now its my turn!

Later...

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I am still waiting for the forecast rain, however it is on the way. However I did get out walking + 1 Really corroded penny that I am not sure how I even saw it sitting in the grass alongside of the Sidewalk. The rain is coming slower than originally forecast which is good as I got out the door later than usual.

I had my Breakfast and then went out to our shed and pulled the carburetor off of the rototiller as it does run on starting fluid or a squirt of gas in the carburetor and when that is gone dies. Thus I did order a rebuild kit and have started taking it apart to see if I can get it going properly, if not then I can order a replacement carburetor via Amazon or Briggs and Stratton. Wish me luck :)

Have a Good Thursday
    Roger
    Hi!
    Still Wednesday! I got my act together and went grocery shopping FIRST! :)
    Eating my giant salad (no bacon of any kind :) ), Have everything to make the salad dressing, I have a day, maybe two before the bottled kind is gone...then I'll clean the bottle very well, and use it to hold my home made dressing!

Roger, sorry your Fitbit battery croaked. But glad you mentioned it, I put mine on the charger while I eat! It 'may' have been good til Saturday morning, but sometimes it doesn't make it from Sat to Sat. So...

Ed, its not too bad outside today. I had looked at the outside temp, and bundled up...too bundled, got quite warm. And the rain is 'supposed' to be out of here by rush hour tomorrow. You know how that goes though.

For now, going to concentrate on feeding my face...

Later...

Hi Valerie
    At least some good came out of my battery croaking on me :)
    You deserve the credit for my still having a working fitbit, I do not know if You remember doing it but You were the one that got me going for warranty when the original one died.
    Good Thursday Morning,
    Ed, have a good day playing with the rats!. At least it should be a decent day in the mines. :)

List today...Walmart for CatFood (thats a MUST) some time on the bike, and something to make with some tofu that 'expires' today. Hmmmm. I think maybe a marinade and some oven time will work!
    Also a bit of time on the yard. Should be enough to keep me out of trouble for the day.

Roger how are your trees and berry bushes looking?

It is supposed to be in the lower 30's Saturday night ... so I checked with the blackberry canes that I hadn't cut off yet, and sure enough, they are blooming. So, the old timer's description of 'Dogwood Winter, and Blackberry Winter' is true again this year!

Cats have been fed, and now its my turn!

Later...
    Hi Again
    I suspect that Tofu will still be OK past the expire date :) I am pretty sure that it is not just good at 11:59PM and gone bad 1 minute after midnight.

The Only things showing signs of life so far are the Blackberry bush and it already had buds when planted and the Onion plants are rooting in and getting greener and taller already.

Have a Nice Day today
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! Supposed to be pretty nice by the end of the day, if not earlier.
    Hi Ed
    We were out back planting the remaining Onion plants that had been put in planting trays and Giant Raindrops started falling and then went away again. The steady rain must be getting close now.

Have a Good Day at work
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday!

I often use tofu that is a month past the "best by" date and it's no problem. I absolutely wouldn't worry about using it just a day or two after.

Supposed to be fairly nice today too. Should be a good day at the salt races!

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    When I started walking to the post office to mail a payment it was not to bad out, However while I was out the sky kept getting darker and a chilly wind out of the North kept slowly increasing until I was glad to get home. I did stop and talk to two of the crossing guards while I was out walking. The rest of the time I was listening to "Boston Blackie" a old time radio show.

I also filled the one Bird Feeder. While walking this week the Colors I see in bloom are Yellow on the Forsythia and Lots of Dandelions as well as Purple on plenty of Grape Hyacinths.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday!

I often use tofu that is a month past the "best by" date and it's no problem. I absolutely wouldn't worry about using it just a day or two after.

Supposed to be fairly nice today too. Should be a good day at the salt races!
    Hi Ed
    I seem to recall from a show I watched that ToFu is a bean product and I would be surprised if it did not have a good safety margin before it went bad. If it did then I would expect the nose to know and possibly the Eyes and Touch.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger

Hi Valerie
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Hey, late today!
    Have been at the gym, etc. Laundry going now, and its about lunch time...
    Roger...two things so I don't forget..
    1. my tiller would also run on carb cleaner, etc...turned out the line from the gas tank to the engine was gunked up....a quick removal and clean of the line, and I was in 'business'.
    2. Tofu is made of fermented soybeans. You were right...its a bean. Looks like congealed white latex paint...which was enough to keep me from eating it for a long time!! :( But glad I finally learned how to cook it, how to season it, etc. Ed was a big help there!

Ed, not very sunny today, and plenty windy, but its Friday....and soon to be time to start the weekend! :)

Later...