Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    When I checked the weather report at 7AM it was showing that my area is in a clear spot with rain to the east and west so I decided to go walking + 1 Cent and 8900 steps :) It did drizzle for a few blocks on the outbound leg so I popped up the umbrella and ended up furling it and hanging it back on the Backpack for the rest of the walk.

I swung by the Grocery Store for a Box of breakfast cereal, I had intended to look at the Puffed Wheat and see if it would work for NS, Strangely I did not see it or Puffed Rice, I did pick up the Post Shredded Wheat Bite Size, it is 210 calories for 55 grams so I figure I can reduce the serving size to get it in the proper range of calories.

I may have to water tomorrow as so far the weather report is showing 0.05 inches of rain, it will depend on if and how much more comes today.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Back from the garden center...and furnace filter, and new 'girl' sized leather palm gloves for working with roses, and pulling blackberry sprouts in my front garden...etc. Also picked up some apple chips, and hickory blocks for DS1's 50th Birthday on Monday. (guess its a good thing I've never been shy about revealing my age!!) :)
    Got the plants I need, got a bit damp, but my fault...had the umbrella, but it wasn't really raining...and then I took the filter out of the basket, to put into the trunk of my little Fit, and turned around to see my basket of flowers rolling its merry way across the parking lot, which was mercifully empty, and it rolled and rolled til it finally smashed into a curb, in a puddle! LOL!!!!! So, I retrieved it, laughing all the way...
    I think it depends on the store Roger...yesterday while in town, Midtown, to be exact, I walked to Home Depot, Whole Foods, and Staples....that Home Depot had the best selection of plants, annual and perennial that I've seen anywhere in town....but I still had to stop at the other two stores, and was on foot...so I waited till I was out here in the burbs....not so great out here, but I was only getting 3 small geraniums, a flat of yellow marigolds, and a 6 pack of dark purple petunia's....hard to mess up those plants! I will make a trip back to Midtown next week for a few of their small pots of hosta's, etc.
    Lowe's normally does have good plants...but my local one closed several years ago, and its about 7-8 miles up the Interstate to the next one...sooooooo...:(

Glad your apple and another berry bush are coming into leaf Roger! I always hold my breath while these slow ones get around to showing signs of life!

Ok, One oclock, and I'm ready to round up lunch! Thinking chopped salad and the last of the chicken fried tofu....yep, hungry in GA!!

Later...

Oh, and about the rebuild for my muscles...it comes back fairly quickly. Took a year to build it 5-6 years ago, and may take a little less time to regain it. We'll see. Fortunately I have weights and weight bench at home so I can get started in private!!! :) And will need a couple of the machines at the gym...I can handle that! :)

Hi Valerie
    Thanks for the shopping trip laugh, I always can use one.

You sound as if You have what You need to get started on the rebuild.

Planting today or did You do it yesterday? All of the one kind of Raspberry plants are leafed out now, Only one of the other type, Who knows when or if for the other four. Staggered fruiting, I wonder if that translates to later leafing on the one?

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Been awake since about ten after four, though I did try to doze a bit longer after a brief bathroom visit. Lilo didn't help by getting up in my face and purring, though she did eventually settle back down. I finally gave it up and got out of bed at 5:00.

Lilo has been fed, I've been fed, the leftover pot roast from last night's dinner has been converted into beef stew which will likely be today's lunch AND dinner. I put one cup of a nice, very dark red California wine into the slow cooker with all the rest of food when I started it yesterday, and it made a really, delicious, dark and tasty gravy, after cooking several hours with all the rest of the liquids and dry ingredients.

The rest of the bottle of wine was served with dinner and was all consumed by the end of the evening.

Today is going to be a lazy day. Because I deserve one.
    Hi Ed
    Pot roast used in a beef stew should be really tasty and tender.

I was up a little early myself, OTOH when I looked at the weather radar it seemed like a plan to get out the door a little earlier too.

Cheers
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday Morning!
    Beautiful sun shining thru my little piece of forest! Love seeing the leaves just sorta shimmy, and reflect in the sun. So peaceful.
    Read a most interesting article sometime during the night...(I think my bedroom was a bit too warm), anyhow, it was about why older people seem to be happier than younger ones :)
    Wonder it that explains my feelings of just pure joy that set in about 6 months post retirement? hmmmmmm.

Today I will go watch another LaCross game, about which I still know nothing, except of course that my little Nate is playing. Is supposed to be in the mid 70's, sunny, slight breeze. Good day for sitting outdoors for half an hour!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I am not sure about LaCrosse for kids, I know that the Adult version is a interesting game that takes skill.

My room was a bit warm too, However I turned on the Box fan and it was OK.

I was just out back with my brother and looking really close I see that all but two of the Raspberry plants are showing leafs now. Yea!

My feelings of joy regarding retirement set in when I got a final date for work closing, Then hey were tempered by the cold in the house due to power loss from Sandy for 8 days or so. We threw out most of a freezer section of meats and the contents of the refrigerator from that. Strangely some of the meat was still good, frozen, the part that was between other layers of meat so we used it up, mostly a loss however.

Enjoy the game
    Roger
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Cool, rainy day here, but got in 2 miles for a walk before the rain started in a steady state...just a drizzle a few hours back when I was out walking. Last night was a tough one...the Seder, with LOTS of food. I don't recall there being so many good great tasting Passover desserts. I have been making several Passover chocolate chip cakes, a recipe that goes back a couple of generations in the family. The good news is that I have been baking so many of them (and giving them to my kids, including sending one to the west coast), that I think I am now a bit tired of the flavor. So I am no longer interested in eating the cake right now.

Val, you and I definitely have to work back to getting our muscles tone. Roger, you are correct that sitting around is generally so bad for health! Maybe Val and I can have a friendly challenge to "bulk up."

See you folks tomorrow,
    Lee-Ann
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi lee-Ann
    FWIW Most of the baking my Brother does goes to friends, very little gets eaten here :)n Between us we ate three slices of the Cheesecake, gave 1/2 of the rest away to local friends on my walk, and the other 1/2 of the balance is in the freezer waiting for another friend to come pick it up. We often use a foodsaver to Vacuum seal away the baked goods, they keep well in the freezer that way. We freeze the breads and cakes and such then vacuum seal them, that keeps them from getting crushed and the vacuum sealing also helps keep them intact when we ship them west to family. We pack them frozen and ship right away.

Semi Interesting factoid, back in the 70s where I drove for a living we were brought in to supplement the company deliveries to handle the Pre Passover initial stocking of grocery stores. I do not know if You ever heard of them, Season brand, I believe they are still in business BTW.

Congratulations on getting out walking despite the weather.

Have a Good Holiday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,641 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! As usual, couldn't sleep very late, but best to stay close to the weekly work schedule anyway so it's easier to get up obscenely early tomorrow.

If J had come home yesterday, as he supposedly planned, I'd be doing laundry today, but he stayed another night. I, of course, anticipated that this would be the case (one DOES learn something from living with someone for 21+ years) and watered the plants that he'd said would "be ok until he came home on Saturday" and will water the indoor solarium today.

Laundry isn't that much without his clothing that's with him, so I'll wait. I could use another fairly lazy day anyway.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• Leemom3
    Options
    Good Morning Folks,

Tell me...are we in spring yet? At 44 degrees outside right now, I am willing to wait a few hours for a walk. It is supposed to get into the mid to upper 60s later...still, is this spring??

Roger, thanks for the Passover food history lesson. I will have to check the brands the next time I am at the market. I made one last cake for my youngest daughter. My husband broke into her cake the other day, and now it is almost gone. She wasn't too happy about getting a "used" cake. Hers is now in the freezer, awaiting her arrival to take it!

Stay warm (okay, you folks int he south, stay cool). Will see you tomorrow,
    Lee-Ann
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Morning!
    LeeAnn, its no so much warmer here right now! 48 when I got up about an hour ago.(it is however supposed to warm to 80 later today) But, yes, it is spring....with all its pollen, temperature swings, showers, and pretty blooming things:)

DS2 coming out later today and we're washing cars. Mine got 'birded' the other day while I was in town at my chiro's!! His just has a coat of winter city dirt! So grab your buckets and sponges the fun starts about 11:30 ish. (said Tom Sawyer) I come from the land of Samuel Clemens! So I had to invite you all to come for the fun...LOL!!!

Cats are fed...that just leaves me...and I' think I'll head to the kitchen very shortly!

Later...

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    Despite trying to maintain I did not succeed :), I was down 1/2 pound since last Sundays weigh in.

Not to much to say, I was walking 8600 steps, And I stopped at the dollar store for two quarts of milk to put on the pantry shelf to use with my breakfast cereals. I think I'll manage to use them before they expire March 16, 2017. The Nice thing is 8 ounces is 100 calories even though they are 1% milk.

The Weather this morning started off 23 degrees cooler than Yesterday, By the time I was on my homeward bound leg of the walk I shed the Outer layer, flannel jacket, it had warmed up that much that quickly :)

Tomorrow I will be eating my last Banana so Tuesday will be stop at the Grocery store or Produce store on my walk for more, I have four Apples left so they are good until I use the last one Wednesday at one a day.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I decided to make a "big" grocery run this morning, since I didn't really have anything else to do. I would have eventually picked up everything, a few items at a time, shopping before coming home from work, but don't like to take the time for a "big" run after work, as I want to get home, eat lunch, and take my afternoon nap.

I had a pretty full cart, but a large chunk of that was paper goods. An 8 pack of mega rolls of paper towels fills about a third of the cart by itself. Add TP and some paper plates, plastic glasses, and you're halfway full.

Still have wine (for me, but I've actually got plenty on hand...just want to fill the wine rack) and Mountain Dew Throwback (for J. I don't drink that nasty stuff. Blech!) but I can pick them up after work tomorrow. There wasn't enough of the Dew to get the "3-for" discount today and it was too early to buy wine on a Sunday. I think I want to go to Trader Joe's for the wine anyway.

So...if I feel like getting BACK out this afternoon, may make the TJ's run but I doubt it.

I will probably make lunch in a bit and then ponder a nap!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! As usual, couldn't sleep very late, but best to stay close to the weekly work schedule anyway so it's easier to get up obscenely early tomorrow.

If J had come home yesterday, as he supposedly planned, I'd be doing laundry today, but he stayed another night. I, of course, anticipated that this would be the case (one DOES learn something from living with someone for 21+ years) and watered the plants that he'd said would "be ok until he came home on Saturday" and will water the indoor solarium today.

Laundry isn't that much without his clothing that's with him, so I'll wait. I could use another fairly lazy day anyway.
    Hi Ed
    I used to keep the same schedule when I was working, days off or not, get up at the same time.

Enjoy the lazy day
    Roger
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Good Morning Folks,

Tell me...are we in spring yet? At 44 degrees outside right now, I am willing to wait a few hours for a walk. It is supposed to get into the mid to upper 60s later...still, is this spring??

Roger, thanks for the Passover food history lesson. I will have to check the brands the next time I am at the market. I made one last cake for my youngest daughter. My husband broke into her cake the other day, and now it is almost gone. She wasn't too happy about getting a "used" cake. Hers is now in the freezer, awaiting her arrival to take it!

Stay warm (okay, you folks int he south, stay cool). Will see you tomorrow,
    Lee-Ann
    Hi Lee-Ann
    Spring has sprung, OTOH it is being typical NJ weather, 80s one day and and two days later under 70. My front porch was showing 42 degrees this morning when I set out for my walk. A Couple of days ago it was in the 60s at that time.

At least it was You Husband that ate it an not you :)

Cheers
    Roger
    Good Morning!
    LeeAnn, its no so much warmer here right now! 48 when I got up about an hour ago.(it is however supposed to warm to 80 later today) But, yes, it is spring....with all its pollen, temperature swings, showers, and pretty blooming things:)

DS2 coming out later today and we're washing cars. Mine got 'birded' the other day while I was in town at my chiro's!! His just has a coat of winter city dirt! So grab your buckets and sponges the fun starts about 11:30 ish. (said Tom Sawyer) I come from the land of Samuel Clemens! So I had to invite you all to come for the fun...LOL!!!

Cats are fed...that just leaves me...and I' think I'll head to the kitchen very shortly!

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    If I said I do not even wash my car, let alone anybody elses. That is what car washes are for, and since We had a mild winter and I was not out on salted roads that is one less worry.

Later the cars here in our neighborhood will all turn green from a green powder off of the trees. Then if nothing else You need to do the window for visibility. Wow I just realized it is over a week since I used my car, no wonder I do not run up many miles each year.

Good luck getting the cars done
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Cars done, very big lunch at Poona's, my local Indian Restaurant. Now, I'm over stuffed and want a nap....that's not so good, as its nearly 4 p.m....hmmmmmm

Grew up washing family cars. Not so sure about car washes, especially with the clear coat finishes on our cars.... just me...:) Call it 'car washing therapy'! LOL!!

I'm thinking the nap is about to win out..........
    Later...
  • Leemom3
    Options
    Ahhh, car washing! I have very fond memories of car wash water fights with my siblings as I was growing up. Today? Car washes are much more utilitarian. Actually, tomorrow I plan to do a long work day at home starting around 7-ish, then, when it warms up to about 80 (please!), I am looking to get out and wash the truck camper. I have been doing inside cleaning and sanitizing the water system. Camping season is here, and I want to go!
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Isolated thundershowers today, so I may see some rain or may not. J got back home late last night (at least late for me) and I was, of course, already in bed. I think it was around 11:15 or so...

Off to the salt races!

• Leemom3
    Options
    Good morning folks,
    Starting work first, as I planned, then walk and camper cleaning in the sun. Quick hello to all of you. Stay well,
    Lee-Ann
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Monday Morning!
    I am stiff this morning. But it will wear off shortly. Too much fun yesterday I'm guessing.

Like LeeAnn, I have a few chores to get started, and then a trip to the gym. And a few more chores. Today I am going to remember to space out my bike time so that I'm not having to ride the darn thing at bedtime!! No, it didn't keep me from falling asleep. :) Sleep is one of those things I've always been adept at! LOL!!

I think I'll steam some chard today for a dinner veg. and some squash. Have some big mushroom caps I need to grill...hmmm beginning to sound like dinner?
    Lunch will be a lovely vegetable chopped salad. Hungry already...oh, maybe I should have breakfast first? Could explain hungry!

Roger, hope you've had a good morning walk! Maybe this will be a good 'money walk'! I haven't found any coin lately...I'm over due! I like the idea of having early and late raspberry canes! Was that planned? or .... I'll still be curious about the columnar apple trees. (or were they peaches?? Apparently my brain is not working any better than my bones this morning)...

Ed, such great weather! Glad J is home safely. Hope he didn't bring too much laundry. Maybe the showers will hold off til after your shift! (if we even get them at all) :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I decided to pick up my bananas today since there is a possibility of rain for tomorrow + 8700 Steps. While I was there I picked up some black Plums, I still have four days of apples in the refrigerator as well as 3 days of Clementines and I wanted a change. I was thinking of the Pears, however they were riper than I like so I got the plums instead. The Weather was great 50+ when I left the house at 7:20, I am starting to see Bearded Iris in bloom. I have not seen any Dutch Iris in years however.

As I sit here I can hear my brother mowing, we alternate weeks to spread the load out.

Have a Great Week
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Cars done, very big lunch at Poona's, my local Indian Restaurant. Now, I'm over stuffed and want a nap....that's not so good, as its nearly 4 p.m....hmmmmmm

Grew up washing family cars. Not so sure about car washes, especially with the clear coat finishes on our cars.... just me...:) Call it 'car washing therapy'! LOL!!

I'm thinking the nap is about to win out..........
    Later...
    Good Monday Morning!
    I am stiff this morning. But it will wear off shortly. Too much fun yesterday I'm guessing.

Like LeeAnn, I have a few chores to get started, and then a trip to the gym. And a few more chores. Today I am going to remember to space out my bike time so that I'm not having to ride the darn thing at bedtime!! No, it didn't keep me from falling asleep. :) Sleep is one of those things I've always been adept at! LOL!!

I think I'll steam some chard today for a dinner veg. and some squash. Have some big mushroom caps I need to grill...hmmm beginning to sound like dinner?
    Lunch will be a lovely vegetable chopped salad. Hungry already...oh, maybe I should have breakfast first? Could explain hungry!

Roger, hope you've had a good morning walk! Maybe this will be a good 'money walk'! I haven't found any coin lately...I'm over due! I like the idea of having early and late raspberry canes! Was that planned? or .... I'll still be curious about the columnar apple trees. (or were they peaches?? Apparently my brain is not working any better than my bones this morning)...

Ed, such great weather! Glad J is home safely. Hope he didn't bring too much laundry. Maybe the showers will hold off til after your shift! (if we even get them at all) :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Congratulations on getting the cars washed.

I selected the Raspberry plants with a aim to extending the fruiting season, so yes it was planned.
    Two of the Columnar Apple trees are in bloom, not many but a few blossoms. Eight of the Raspberry plants are now leafing out. The Plant company said that We might get a few berries the first year :)

Growing Columnar Apple trees
    Because they are small trees with small root systems, columnar apples require regular watering throughout the year. The soil should never be too soggy or too dry.
    Description
    Columnar apple trees are an easily maintained, manageable size. All apple trees need full sun and columnar trees are no exception. Because they average about 8 feet tall and 2 feet wide, you can grow one or two columnar apple trees in a small sunny spot, if your space is limited.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Ahhh, car washing! I have very fond memories of car wash water fights with my siblings as I was growing up. Today? Car washes are much more utilitarian. Actually, tomorrow I plan to do a long work day at home starting around 7-ish, then, when it warms up to about 80 (please!), I am looking to get out and wash the truck camper. I have been doing inside cleaning and sanitizing the water system. Camping season is here, and I want to go!
    Good morning folks,
    Starting work first, as I planned, then walk and camper cleaning in the sun. Quick hello to all of you. Stay well,
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    It took me a moment to understand why You would need to sanitize the water system, then I did a Face Palm :)

Good Luck getting the camper ready, Just curious is it a Pop Up type or?

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited April 2016
    Options
    F3kDBR.gif

8bB6FY.jpg
    Darned good Question, Any answers?