Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,597 Member
    Options
    Well, the rats were BUSY today! At least the day went by quickly and now I'm on weekend mode!

Just for kicks, I decided to try the new combo at Bojangle's for lunch, which is marinated ROASTED chicken bites. I'll admit I did eat the biscuit but I subbed the cajun pinto beans instead of fries, which added a bit more protein and some slow carbs to help even that out. The serving size on the cajun beans looked just right too, not too big at all. It was a satisfactory meal that I would eat again.

I think I'll get some laundry started in a bit and then take a nap! Lilo is already ready for the nap I think...I may hold the laundry until after the nap.

No idea what dinner is going to be but I do still have some rutabagas and parsnips in the fridge, and another CSA box is scheduled to arrive today, so I'll have a good choice of veggies available. And J brought back 4 dozen farm fresh eggs from an uncle on his mother's side who has an egg farm, and some of those might well find their way into dinner.

Later gators!

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    Saw that you guys had posted so of course I will also..
    Made it to the gym...and then skipped Home Depot...tomorrow, if its not raining I will be driving past a Lowe's...thought I'd check out their stuff.
    Got the flea stuff for the cats, my thyroid scrip...flea stuff nearly as expensive as my Synthroid!, and then there were the 'pick-ups'. Big bag of organic popped corn, 3 english cukes, a bag of 'stuff'....kale, broc. stems, carrot, etc. I'm going to try stir-frying part of it. etc.

Made some killer hummus and had some for lunch today, with mixed fruit, cucumber, zucchini, and celery hummus dippers, and a small salad. BUT, getting hungry, so dinner will be soon.

Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi Ed
    BoJangle's, I do not think I have ever eaten any of that. A quick look up on the map shows that the closest is likely to be Reading PA. 100 miles away more or less so I think I'll pass on going to try them out :)

Hi Valerie
    Good Luck with Your Shopping Saturday. Either Your Synthroid is really cheap or the fleas stuff is way to expensive.

It is nearly time for me to go eat my dinner too, I'm starting to feel hungry.

I hope Both of You have a Good Evening
    Roger

P.S. I'm hurrying, hence the Combo message :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Might go to a party this afternoon, but probably not. If I do go, I'll bring baked beans and try not to make them so spicy they melt anyone's face.

Never did get to laundry yesterday, but the weekend is young...

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    8400 Steps + I found a nice shiny quarter during my walk. Today is a dark and dreary outside and the forecast for Sunday is for rain.

I got the Roto-tilling done yesterday while my brother dug the raised growing beds. Today looks like a planting day. The Two Rhubarb plants were delivered yesterday and their are some other plants coming today. If We get them planted today the rain overnight into Sunday should water them in nicely. After todays delivery the only plants left to be delivered will be the Sweet Potato plants. All of the Raspberry plants are leafed out as are the three Columnar Apple Trees, Two of the Apple trees are leafed out enough that they are either in bloom or showing flower buds. The Third one was slower to leaf out so who knows if it will bloom too Two kinds of a Red Apple and One Yellow Apple planted. We have a Shady spot earmarked for the Rhubarb plants that should work fine. I remember that my grandparents Rhubarb plants were in a shady spot under a Fruit tree.

Have a Nice Saturday
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    I cna't get my morning started :(
    Coffee thingy won't give me coffee...its in cleaning mode right now...
    Had the front door open, and Tom E. cat saw me, talked to me, and I let him in...then couldn't get him OUT!
    I and the cats have eaten...
    Today there are 2 lectures in the seminar I want to hear....and Nate plays last (? I think) LaCrosse game...since DS1 is out of town in a meeting, I really do need to be there....family support ya know....
    Looks like this day is going nowhere...
    BUT....all will be fine. I will have COFFEE!
    (yes I could perk a pot....but for One cup....naw!)

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Roger,
    Sounds like your gardening is coming right along. Will you let the apples set fruit, or will you debud it this first year? Or do they even do that anymore with newly planted trees?
    I've never grown rhubarb, and have only eaten it once or twice...both in super sweet desert kinda things...

Ed, we might have a nice afternoon after all. High Temps forecast that I saw this morning were upper 80's. Not the 90's they'd been saying. I didn't look to see if we're having rain on Sunday...it hasn't happened as forecast now for over a week..so why bother. Time to get out the old "weather rock"....and if its wet I'll know its rain, etc.
    Glad you aren't planning to melt anyones face today!!!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi Valerie
    I saw You posting as I was posting something. Humor of the day.
    CSGMkI.jpg

So True :)

I need my coffee too, Tomorrow I may stay home with the rainy forecast, I haven't decided yet. If So I'll make a pot off coffee and then Reheat the balance for Mondays walk. I tend to be lazy and fill a pan to heat it on the stove so I can tell it is hot enough, otherwise if I microwave it I have to pull the lid and keep checking it for temperature.

Enjoy the Game
    Roger

P.S. I see You just posted again as I was doing this one :)
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Afternoon post for me...oh well, better late than never!

Roger, I know you don't want 90 degrees in April, but I would take 90 any day! I am a hot weather gal. Why I ever moved back up north (after living in GA and AL I am still wondering...).

Val, I am coming to Atlanta in May. Driving down to see my Oregon daughter who is speaking at a conference in Atlanta - just so I can have dinner with her one night. Then I have to head back home to be at work ASAP. Marc and the dog are coming, too. We are staying at a campground, I think maybe a state park, in Marietta. It will be "old home" week for me since I haven't been back to Atlanta since about 1983.

Ed, you party animal! Did you go, and if so, did you have fun?

Will catch up another time,
    Lee-Ann
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    LeeAnn,
    Safe travels to Marietta. My niece lives in Marietta...for me its an hour drive! UGH. She and I pick a place about half way and meet for lunch, etc. :)

In which conference is your daughter participating? Just curious....I have a conference all week next week...its 'Food Summit', with some of my fav. speakers, AND that Global Health class! I'm going to have calluses from sitting, and Fitbit is going to be quite upset with me if I don't watch it!

Nate's last LaCrosse was today. I left in the rain, it was cloudy, but not wet during the game, and as I neared home down came the rain again! :) So far the total yield is 0.25 inches! :) My lights keep flickering, so I know somethings gone wrong somewhere!

Roger, loved the cartoon! (and I ran the vinegar clean up thru my Keurig, and did finally get my cup of coffee...persistence pays!) :smiley:

Ok, thats all from me til tomorrow!
  • parityanimal
    Options
    I went to the party, brought the baked beans, and half a dozen chicken legs in case they needed any more food for the grill. They didn't, so they can enjoy the chicken another day.

Came home after a couple of hours, took a nap with Lilo, and am now finishing my dinner wine that was poured to go with some pizza.

This is the last bottle (at least I'm pretty sure) of the 15 bottle mixed case I mail ordered some time back, that had 8 or 9 reds and 6 or 7 whites. I don't remember the exact mix, but there were two bottles of this particular wine, and it's definitely the last of that one. I looked through the wine cellar and didn't see any of the others from that set, so I guess over time I've used them up, replacing with different things from local stores (or my own Kroger store where I work) as I went.

I initially bought the mail order box (with some trepidation) because I had let my wine cellar go almost dry, because of funding issues, but had managed to get back to a point where I could buy some more but REALLY didn't want to go to Trader Joe's and spend 2 hours or more selecting enough wines to fill out the wine cellar and rack, and also didn't want to buy them two or three at a time over a great deal of time.

I found a Groupon coupon I could buy for $69.95 to cover the cost of the (normally $189) mixed case, read what wines would be included (no wineries I'd ever heard of, but I'm not a wine snob), decided to give it a chance since the company claimed you "never pay for a bottle of wine you don't like" (it would be interesting to see if anyone has actually tested that claim) and the shipping of $29.95 still left the total under $100, and it came out to about $6.52 per bottle, which isn't bad at all!

The process also installed me as a "complimentary member" of their wine club, with a $10 coupon good toward the next purchase, if any, and as a member, FREE shipping on future orders. They seem to offer similar 15 bottle cases for $104.95 fairly often, and with my $10 off and free shipping it would be a good deal. I just haven't let my supply drop so perilously low as to NEED 15 bottles at once again and don't particularly fancy keeping that HUGE box of bottles sitting around somewhere in the house to gradually empty it, but I guess I could put it in the guest room or something.

At any rate, I will always have that as an option, and sometimes they offer smaller mixes, just 6 or 8 bottles. I was quite pleased with their packaging and quick shipping, and I liked every bottle well enough, and was able to pair them all with compatible foods, even the varietals that aren't particularly favorites of mine, like Merlot and Chardonnay. I know, these two are VERY popular but they just aren't at the top of my favorites list, though I do find them acceptable, and know what to pair them with. Their bottles were of good enough quality that it wasn't difficult to enjoy them. The mix also included some blends that I wasn't sure of but I found them to be quite nice. No regrets on that purchase at all!

Well, enough rambling, and the wine glass is empty. The rest of the bottle has been put away for another night (or two) so I guess I'll feed the sugar gliders and read more of my current book or watch something on the tube.

See you all tomorrow!

• Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ed, while I do enjoy a glass of wine now and again, a case would probably last me years. Glad the variety worked out for you.

Val, my daughter's conference is something in rhetoric - the annual Rhetoric Society Association meeting. Sounds...like something I could not understand. It is definitely related to her work. My other daughter is very interested in public health, and your free classes on that sound quite interesting (also from my nursing background).

Roger, until you mentioned it I did not realize your area of NJ was so dry. We seem stuck in a rainy system - for several weeks now. I am over it, but Nature isn't.

Take care all, back another time,
    Lee-Ann
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! Definitely laundry today. Must...do...laundry...

But first, get breakfast started!

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I woke up early and decided to try and beat the rain that is in the forecast, It had started to drizzle by the time I reached the Quick Chek for my coffee so obviously I did not beat the rain. I put up the umbrella on the way back out the door and ended up with 7900 steps and somewhat tired from being up early :)

We got another shipment of plants yesterday and put them in the ground right away so that they could be well watered in by todays rain. One Fig Tree and on Reisling Pixie Grape and supposed to ship in May are the Sweet Potatoes. The grape is supposed to stay small and
    stV9tL.jpg
    Pixie® Grapes
    Also called dwarf grapes

Grow miniature clusters of wine grapes in as little as 12 weeks! These dwarf grape vines mature into compact, 18- to 24-inch tall plants with an 8- to 12-inch spread. Pixie® Grapes are natural dwarf grapes — not genetically modified or genetically engineered. Whether you choose to grow these dwarf grapes outdoors or in containers indoors, a simple trellis helps to keep them upright under the weight of fruit clusters. These grape varieties are ideal for juices and wines, but can be eaten fresh for a quick, convenient snack. They also make a great gift for do-it-yourself wine connoisseurs! And, if limited space has previously kept you from growing your own wine grapes, raise your glass to Pixie® Grape vines — perfect for patios, balconies, and other small spaces.
    Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Afternoon post for me...oh well, better late than never!

Roger, I know you don't want 90 degrees in April, but I would take 90 any day! I am a hot weather gal. Why I ever moved back up north (after living in GA and AL I am still wondering...).

Val, I am coming to Atlanta in May. Driving down to see my Oregon daughter who is speaking at a conference in Atlanta - just so I can have dinner with her one night. Then I have to head back home to be at work ASAP. Marc and the dog are coming, too. We are staying at a campground, I think maybe a state park, in Marietta. It will be "old home" week for me since I haven't been back to Atlanta since about 1983.

Ed, you party animal! Did you go, and if so, did you have fun?

Will catch up another time,
    Lee-Ann
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Ed, while I do enjoy a glass of wine now and again, a case would probably last me years. Glad the variety worked out for you.

Val, my daughter's conference is something in rhetoric - the annual Rhetoric Society Association meeting. Sounds...like something I could not understand. It is definitely related to her work. My other daughter is very interested in public health, and your free classes on that sound quite interesting (also from my nursing background).

Roger, until you mentioned it I did not realize your area of NJ was so dry. We seem stuck in a rainy system - for several weeks now. I am over it, but Nature isn't.

Take care all, back another time,
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    You are right, 90 degree is not a favorite of mine :)

A Lot of the Rain in NJ seems to be hitting north or south of me. Looking at the weather forecast that may be changing however, We will see. The Last two rains here where I am did not even penetrate to the ground under the trees. Rain today and I think a couple more days in the upcoming week. Hopefully for the garden OTOH hopefully not for getting out walking. I do not mind wearing rain gear when it is chilly out however as it warms up it starts to get uncomfortably warm under the rain gear.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    LeeAnn,
    Safe travels to Marietta. My niece lives in Marietta...for me its an hour drive! UGH. She and I pick a place about half way and meet for lunch, etc. :)

In which conference is your daughter participating? Just curious....I have a conference all week next week...its 'Food Summit', with some of my fav. speakers, AND that Global Health class! I'm going to have calluses from sitting, and Fitbit is going to be quite upset with me if I don't watch it!

Nate's last LaCrosse was today. I left in the rain, it was cloudy, but not wet during the game, and as I neared home down came the rain again! :) So far the total yield is 0.25 inches! :) My lights keep flickering, so I know somethings gone wrong somewhere!

Roger, loved the cartoon! (and I ran the vinegar clean up thru my Keurig, and did finally get my cup of coffee...persistence pays!) :smiley:

Ok, thats all from me til tomorrow!

Hi Valerie
    When the lights flicker here they usually go out if there are more than one time of flickering or dimming, usually the second time or the third time.

I hope You enjoyed the game better than driving in the rain :)

Thanks for letting me know
    Roger
    I went to the party, brought the baked beans, and half a dozen chicken legs in case they needed any more food for the grill. They didn't, so they can enjoy the chicken another day.

Came home after a couple of hours, took a nap with Lilo, and am now finishing my dinner wine that was poured to go with some pizza.

This is the last bottle (at least I'm pretty sure) of the 15 bottle mixed case I mail ordered some time back, that had 8 or 9 reds and 6 or 7 whites. I don't remember the exact mix, but there were two bottles of this particular wine, and it's definitely the last of that one. I looked through the wine cellar and didn't see any of the others from that set, so I guess over time I've used them up, replacing with different things from local stores (or my own Kroger store where I work) as I went.

I initially bought the mail order box (with some trepidation) because I had let my wine cellar go almost dry, because of funding issues, but had managed to get back to a point where I could buy some more but REALLY didn't want to go to Trader Joe's and spend 2 hours or more selecting enough wines to fill out the wine cellar and rack, and also didn't want to buy them two or three at a time over a great deal of time.

I found a Groupon coupon I could buy for $69.95 to cover the cost of the (normally $189) mixed case, read what wines would be included (no wineries I'd ever heard of, but I'm not a wine snob), decided to give it a chance since the company claimed you "never pay for a bottle of wine you don't like" (it would be interesting to see if anyone has actually tested that claim) and the shipping of $29.95 still left the total under $100, and it came out to about $6.52 per bottle, which isn't bad at all!

The process also installed me as a "complimentary member" of their wine club, with a $10 coupon good toward the next purchase, if any, and as a member, FREE shipping on future orders. They seem to offer similar 15 bottle cases for $104.95 fairly often, and with my $10 off and free shipping it would be a good deal. I just haven't let my supply drop so perilously low as to NEED 15 bottles at once again and don't particularly fancy keeping that HUGE box of bottles sitting around somewhere in the house to gradually empty it, but I guess I could put it in the guest room or something.

At any rate, I will always have that as an option, and sometimes they offer smaller mixes, just 6 or 8 bottles. I was quite pleased with their packaging and quick shipping, and I liked every bottle well enough, and was able to pair them all with compatible foods, even the varietals that aren't particularly favorites of mine, like Merlot and Chardonnay. I know, these two are VERY popular but they just aren't at the top of my favorites list, though I do find them acceptable, and know what to pair them with. Their bottles were of good enough quality that it wasn't difficult to enjoy them. The mix also included some blends that I wasn't sure of but I found them to be quite nice. No regrets on that purchase at all!

Well, enough rambling, and the wine glass is empty. The rest of the bottle has been put away for another night (or two) so I guess I'll feed the sugar gliders and read more of my current book or watch something on the tube.

See you all tomorrow!
    Hi Ed
    It sounds as if You are having a busy but enjoyable weekend.

Interesting way to save money on wines. My brother always bought at Trader Joe's, Sadly the roof of the one with a Liquor license in our area gave way this past winter under the weight of snow.

I am always leary of thing such as Craig's List an Groupon and even eBay to a certain extent.

Have a Great Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning!
    8:30 already, and I have accomplished, essentially, NADA! Ok, cats are fed, I had my cup of coffee, and emptied the dishwasher.....Or as Bill the Cat in Bloom County would say Pbthhh :)

I am not moving again until I take the weekly quiz in Global Health! THEN, I will listen to the Food Summit speakers...cook dinner and go to bed. (I think we're having all day snatches of rain?) I don't hear the persistent rumbling of thunder that was nearly constant last evening!
    Ok, I might get up for breakfast. maybe.

Roger, a re you having your rainy day? Might make for a good 'rest' day! :)

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    LeeAnn,
    the course on global health that I am taking is online, from the Univ. of Copenhagen! Its thru Coursera.org. (its also in English, which was a relief, as after I'd signed up, I read where there would be English sub titles. WHAT???)
    I have taken several classes from Coursera, most directly related to the nutritional standpoint of food. Food/ Health connection. So, this is interesting to me. I do not know if you could use it for CEU's...some state you can...I'm not doing it for CEU purposes, so I honestly didn't look for it.
    I'm taking it non credit...but if you want it certified...its $45.

In the beginning a few years ago, everything Coursera offered was free....and I knew sooner or later there would have to be some kind of revenue involved...and it came with Certificate Status. I have several certificates from UC-Davis, Vanderbilt Univ., Class is the same, I just do it for my own knowledge....and as someone said to keep the old brain working.

There is a HUGE list of courses....from Humanities, to Computer Coding. My son even took a course, for his field of Graphic Arts. He doesn't so much do the actual coding, but sets up the graphics for web sites, etc. He's lately been moving into the realm of 'User Experience'...its a much needed, and oft over looked part of web site planning.

Ramble, ramble, ramble....check out Coursera.Org :)
    Oh, and I'll bet in your teaching you use more rhetoric than you realize! :):)
  • RogerToo
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning!
    8:30 already, and I have accomplished, essentially, NADA! Ok, cats are fed, I had my cup of coffee, and emptied the dishwasher.....Or as Bill the Cat in Bloom County would say Pbthhh :)

I am not moving again until I take the weekly quiz in Global Health! THEN, I will listen to the Food Summit speakers...cook dinner and go to bed. (I think we're having all day snatches of rain?) I don't hear the persistent rumbling of thunder that was nearly constant last evening!
    Ok, I might get up for breakfast. maybe.

Roger, are you having your rainy day? Might make for a good 'rest' day! :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    The Way I look at it Nada is a good goal in life, a very relaxing goal TBH.

In Case You Missed my earlier post I wrote
    I woke up early and decided to try and beat the rain that is in the forecast, It had started to drizzle by the time I reached the Quick Chek for my coffee so obviously I did not beat the rain. I put up the umbrella on the way back out the door and ended up with 7900 steps and somewhat tired from being up early :)
    LeeAnn,
    the course on global health that I am taking is online, from the Univ. of Copenhagen! Its thru Coursera.org. (its also in English, which was a relief, as after I'd signed up, I read where there would be English sub titles. WHAT???)
    I have taken several classes from Coursera, most directly related to the nutritional standpoint of food. Food/ Health connection. So, this is interesting to me. I do not know if you could use it for CEU's...some state you can...I'm not doing it for CEU purposes, so I honestly didn't look for it.
    I'm taking it non credit...but if you want it certified...its $45.

In the beginning a few years ago, everything Coursera offered was free....and I knew sooner or later there would have to be some kind of revenue involved...and it came with Certificate Status. I have several certificates from UC-Davis, Vanderbilt Univ., Class is the same, I just do it for my own knowledge....and as someone said to keep the old brain working.

There is a HUGE list of courses....from Humanities, to Computer Coding. My son even took a course, for his field of Graphic Arts. He doesn't so much do the actual coding, but sets up the graphics for web sites, etc. He's lately been moving into the realm of 'User Experience'...its a much needed, and oft over looked part of web site planning.

Ramble, ramble, ramble....check out Coursera.Org :)
    Oh, and I'll bet in your teaching you use more rhetoric than you realize! :):)

Where I am I had friends go the online route here
    http://www.tesu.edu/academics/online-degrees.cfm
    Thomas Edison State University offers a wide variety of degree and certificate programs that may be completed entirely through the University's online and distance learning courses.
    Below is list of those programs.
    Associate Degree Programs
    Bachelor Degree Programs
    Graduate Degree Programs
    Undergraduate Certificate Programs
    Graduate Certificate Programs

And I am thinking about trying it this way :)
    https://thomasedison2.mrooms.net/login/index.php
    Interested in trying out an online course? You are in the right place. Here are the steps:

Click the “Create new account” link below
    Fill out the New Account form and click the “Create my new account link.”
    An email will be immediately sent to your email address.
    Open the email and click on the link to confirm your account.
    This link takes you to the Test Drive Enrollment page. Click the “Enroll me” link to get started.
    Clicking the “Enroll me” takes you into the course.
    You will be able to access the test drive course for 30 days.

If you have any questions, please contact us at testdrive@tesc.edu

Coursera.org sounds affordable OTOH.

Oh well enough for the day, I do not want to overload the post although it may be too late for that already.

Have a Good Afternoon and Evening
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    hBu6zF.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's magnificent Monday! Good chance of rain today, especially tonight.

That will dissolve the salt races, so I guess I'll head off to the rat mines!

Got all the laundry done yesterday. :)