Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,641 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

Much smaller chance of rain today. Didn't get any yesterday.

Buckwheat groats, creamy cereal for breakfast, with cinnamon and a touch of sweetener.

Off to the rat mines!

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Good Tuesday Morning Ya'll!
    Feeling southern today! I don't know what that means...its just what my fingers typed! :wink:

Should be quite nice today...and I will get an earlier start on my outdoor chores! It got too hot yesterday. Saw a new (to my yard) snake yesterday...black, with white rings around its 12-18 inch body! Pretty thing. I think we were both equally startled! :) It ran up into the Koreans raised flower bed. Hope its happy there, finds lots of food, and STAYS there. I'm not into 'Startled' these days! :) I haven't looked it up yet...I have a snake book, just hate looking at it. What ever happened to good old fashioned black snakes? Or Green snakes with yellow, black, white stripes...(garter snakes)...totally harmless, friends of the gardener. Have only seen one each in the 20 years I've been here.

With those slinky thoughts I leave you...breakfast calls, followed by gym, interspersed with laundry. After gym a trip to the grocery...I am Totally Out of salad greens....????? So...

Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I walked 8700 steps + 3 Cents today :) I was out early today and the overnight rain was gone long enough that the Streets & Sidewalks were drying out. More rain in the forecast for later today. It was in the 50s at the time I left the house. No need to water anything today. More rain in the forecast for later Thursday into Friday. So far it looks like I'll be dry for Wednesday & Thursdays walk, Not sure about Friday yet as that will depend on when the rain ends.

Have a Nice Tuesday
    Roger
    Good Tuesday Morning Ya'll!
    Feeling southern today! I don't know what that means...its just what my fingers typed! :wink:

Should be quite nice today...and I will get an earlier start on my outdoor chores! It got too hot yesterday. Saw a new (to my yard) snake yesterday...black, with white rings around its 12-18 inch body! Pretty thing. I think we were both equally startled! :) It ran up into the Koreans raised flower bed. Hope its happy there, finds lots of food, and STAYS there. I'm not into 'Startled' these days! :) I haven't looked it up yet...I have a snake book, just hate looking at it. What ever happened to good old fashioned black snakes? Or Green snakes with yellow, black, white stripes...(garter snakes)...totally harmless, friends of the gardener. Have only seen one each in the 20 years I've been here.

With those slinky thoughts I leave you...breakfast calls, followed by gym, interspersed with laundry. After gym a trip to the grocery...I am Totally Out of salad greens....????? So...

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I will be curious what that snake is. Snakes Got Legs? Ran or slithered :)

It was warm enough in the living room that I ran the Wall AC for the second time in 2016 already and it is only April. I hope that is not a forerunner of what the summer will be like.

Have a Good day running around
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Ha-ha Roger...it slithered, and it was in a hurry cuz I was running the weed whacker! I looked it up while I was pedaling the bike at the gym. It was an Eastern King Snake. In other words a GOOD snake! Still a 'startling snake'...(they all are)! :smiley:

So, gym, check, lawn finished, check, catching up here, and then going to Sweet Tomatoes for my last 'Asian Month' visit...and then on to Kroger for my bagged salad and about half a dozen cans of their beans that are a mix of pinto, black and kidney beans. That goes great in my salads.

Also have out all the ingredients to put into the blender for the Sweet Onion Citrus Vinaigrette. So, soon we'll have test results! :) Have my fingers crossed,

That should about do it. Not sure if there is Gym tonite or not. Will depend when Jack and Jenn get back from the beach. I've sent text messages, and checked fb...total silence! I may just skip out tonite.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Tag day! Wheeeeee!

By the way, that snake was an Eastern King Snake, a very useful critter to have around. King snakes actually eat other snakes for dinner sometimes (even poisonous ones) and can make great pets, supposedly being easily tamed.

Of course they'll also eat mice and other small critters when they can catch them.

Dinner last night for me and J was roasted veggies gratin. Mostly rutabaga and carrots, with one medium potato tossed in, an onion, two small bell peppers, garlic powder, salt, pepper, crushed chili peppers (hot), paprika, olive oil (not much) then roasted, at 450, stirring a couple of times, and topped off at the end with a sprinkle of Cheddar and some Italian style bread crumbs, then roasted until the crumbs browned nicely, making a wonderful gratin with the cheese.

Well, off to the rat mines!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Wednesday Morning!

Should be a good day for tagging Ed! Yea! I didn't take the time to look up any particulars about the Eastern King Snake, just knew it was non-poisonous. Nice to know he, like good old fashioned black snakes like to dine on 'snake'! :) And toads, and bugs, worms, etc. My kinda snake... still startling as all get out when you don't expect to see one. :) Your gratin last night sounds like it was wonderful. I should roast a pan of veggies. I think we have a cooler day coming up...will check the weather. I'm not crazy about running the oven during the summer, so this could well be the 'last roasted veg-out' til fall! :) Will make sure I have some good roasting veggies since its shopping day!

Roger, happy to report snakes are still slithery! :) Glad you've had nice rain. We've been cheated....and are 3 inches shy of normal here in this part of GA. I think south of ATL has had considerably more rain than we have. They better start sharing...WE hold their water supply in Lake Lanier! (up, North of ATL where my DS1 lives). :smiley:

So, gym today..and groceries. That should about be 'enough' Last two days have been fairly busy, and active!

I made the Sweet Onion Citrus dressing yesterday. WAY TO SALTY. Not thinking, just following the recipe... I did run it thru the recipe thingy on My Fitness Pal, and it came in around 80 calories/ serving...but nearly 400 mg salt. I've 'amended' the recipe! Also next time I will use a different kind of orange. Trying to juice a navel orange is, well, difficult!
    It was not quite as sweet as what comes in the package, and that being mostly kale, green cabbage, and romaine. So the sweet made a nice 'compliment'! It has honey in it, so I'm thinking I'll half the salt, and add just a dab more honey?
    Overall I was pleased. Just need to tweak!

Hope LeeAnn has had a good walk this morning and is making progress getting her hiking gear and camper in tip top shape! Its time! :):) Know that makes you happy! Being outdoors is a natural anti-depressant. I sit here smiling just thinking about a hike in the woods!

Ok, cats have eaten and headed out for their favorite ? outdoor day time spots. I think I'd like to do the same.

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi
    It was two degrees cooler this morning, Not to bad for walking + 8600 steps, I was slightly chilled when I started out until I warmed up, Lots of clouds so far. Three Stops today, Post Office, 7-Eleven & the Dollar Store for a quart of whole milk good until March 27, 2017 at 150 calories per 8 oz portion and of course $1 per quart. That makes it 150 calories for 8 ounces vs 100 calories for the 1% and 120 calories for the 2%. I have three quarts of the 1%, 2 on the shelf and one chilled for use with today's Breakfast cereal. The Whole Milk is in case my Brother who will not use anything less needs some milk in his cooking.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Ha-ha Roger...it slithered, and it was in a hurry cuz I was running the weed whacker! I looked it up while I was pedaling the bike at the gym. It was an Eastern King Snake. In other words a GOOD snake! Still a 'startling snake'...(they all are)! :smiley:

So, gym, check, lawn finished, check, catching up here, and then going to Sweet Tomatoes for my last 'Asian Month' visit...and then on to Kroger for my bagged salad and about half a dozen cans of their beans that are a mix of pinto, black and kidney beans. That goes great in my salads.

Also have out all the ingredients to put into the blender for the Sweet Onion Citrus Vinaigrette. So, soon we'll have test results! :) Have my fingers crossed,

That should about do it. Not sure if there is Gym tonite or not. Will depend when Jack and Jenn get back from the beach. I've sent text messages, and checked fb...total silence! I may just skip out tonite.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    A Good Snake :)
    Good Wednesday Morning!

Should be a good day for tagging Ed! Yea! I didn't take the time to look up any particulars about the Eastern King Snake, just knew it was non-poisonous. Nice to know he, like good old fashioned black snakes like to dine on 'snake'! :) And toads, and bugs, worms, etc. My kinda snake... still startling as all get out when you don't expect to see one. :) Your gratin last night sounds like it was wonderful. I should roast a pan of veggies. I think we have a cooler day coming up...will check the weather. I'm not crazy about running the oven during the summer, so this could well be the 'last roasted veg-out' til fall! :) Will make sure I have some good roasting veggies since its shopping day!

Roger, happy to report snakes are still slithery! :) Glad you've had nice rain. We've been cheated....and are 3 inches shy of normal here in this part of GA. I think south of ATL has had considerably more rain than we have. They better start sharing...WE hold their water supply in Lake Lanier! (up, North of ATL where my DS1 lives). :smiley:

So, gym today..and groceries. That should about be 'enough' Last two days have been fairly busy, and active!

I made the Sweet Onion Citrus dressing yesterday. WAY TO SALTY. Not thinking, just following the recipe... I did run it thru the recipe thingy on My Fitness Pal, and it came in around 80 calories/ serving...but nearly 400 mg salt. I've 'amended' the recipe! Also next time I will use a different kind of orange. Trying to juice a navel orange is, well, difficult!
    It was not quite as sweet as what comes in the package, and that being mostly kale, green cabbage, and romaine. So the sweet made a nice 'compliment'! It has honey in it, so I'm thinking I'll half the salt, and add just a dab more honey?
    Overall I was pleased. Just need to tweak!

Hope LeeAnn has had a good walk this morning and is making progress getting her hiking gear and camper in tip top shape! Its time! :):) Know that makes you happy! Being outdoors is a natural anti-depressant. I sit here smiling just thinking about a hike in the woods!

Ok, cats have eaten and headed out for their favorite ? outdoor day time spots. I think I'd like to do the same.

Later...

We are under for rainfall here too. Every now and then My brother still roasts during the summer, and I agree it makes the house too warm for me and I can tolerate the heat much better with the weight loss compared to before I did lose it.

Many if not most recipes can use a tweak to match the cooks taste in foods, I for example like things sweeter than my Brother.

The Irish Soda Bread he made could use some sugar and raisins IMO as an example. BTW One recipe that he got this month for something else does use raisins and says to soak them in boiling water before adding them to make them softer in the finished food.

My Brother use to take the family camping but never used the water system as where they went had a water supply and as he said, why cart the weight of 100 gallons of water behind the Truck if You can avoid it.

Have a Good Day
    Good Luck with the Recipe Tweaks
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Tag day! Wheeeeee!

By the way, that snake was an Eastern King Snake, a very useful critter to have around. King snakes actually eat other snakes for dinner sometimes (even poisonous ones) and can make great pets, supposedly being easily tamed.

Of course they'll also eat mice and other small critters when they can catch them.

Dinner last night for me and J was roasted veggies gratin. Mostly rutabaga and carrots, with one medium potato tossed in, an onion, two small bell peppers, garlic powder, salt, pepper, crushed chili peppers (hot), paprika, olive oil (not much) then roasted, at 450, stirring a couple of times, and topped off at the end with a sprinkle of Cheddar and some Italian style bread crumbs, then roasted until the crumbs browned nicely, making a wonderful gratin with the cheese.

Well, off to the rat mines!
    Hi Ed
    Hopefully You have a light and easy tag day.

Nothing wrong with anything that helps reduce the mouse supply so they do not get into the house.

I do not recall ever having eaten Rutabagas.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    J967bJ.jpg
    Nothing beats a Cheeseburgers, Chicken Nuggets with French Fries Pizza

Oh wait Nothing really does beat it
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Home from work. Tagging wasn't too bad. They may ding me for not hanging some hose tags advertising candy that WE DON'T SELL in the fuel kiosk, but I don't want people asking for that and have nowhere to put it anyway. If I had some room, I'd bring a few out and see how they sell...but not today. Maybe tomorrow I'll think about finding somewhere to put some. Maybe in that side window rack...The last time we had signage for candy we don't carry, I did have someone ask for it, before I got any out there. That time it advertised Butterfinger and Nestle Crunch at 3 for $2. We did have the Butterfinger, and after the guy asked for the other one I did bring some out and they sold reasonably well. They are off sale now and when they run out I don't intend to bring any more out. They sell OK, but not well enough for the amount of space they take up. I can do better with something else, I think. I rotate two slots that I squeezed into the rack. The third squeezed in slot is permanently occupied with M & Ms Crispy. :)

Roger, you really should try cooking some rutabaga sometime. Closely related to turnip but cooks up with a nice sort of sweetness, and a lovely orange yellow color. Very low carb compared to potatoes but can be used instead of potatoes for a nice side dish, or starring in a main dish as with my big pan of roasted veggies.

I've even made mashed rutabaga (in lieu of mashed potatoes) with a little cream and butter. Fabulous!

Nap time...

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

Suppose to be 50% chance of morning showers, then up to 82 this afternoon! I guess we have had our few days of Spring and now Summer is here.

Off to the salt races!

• GardenKatGardens
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good Thursday Morning from the summery south!
    You said it Ed! Summer got here a little early this year. I just hope we see more rain in May that we have in April! Time to get at least part of the rain out of Texas, and share it with the south and east coast. Who wants to put that on their 'to do' list? :wink:

Clothes in the dryer, and cats fed.. must be my turn!

Bought my usual supply of veggies yesterday, should hold me for about 4 days. Then I can do a weekend shop at Whole Foods.

Its interesting...I have been having lots of birds on the back porch. They come in thru the 2 cat 'windows', and collect either cat hair, straw, or check out the floor for dry cat food crumbs. I guess maybe they know the cats are too old to really 'care'. As in the cats are past chasing little birdies for sport or food!

I think today will be a gym day, and a quick stop in the Mex. Market for an avocado and a couple of their Roma tomatoes. Maybe a jicama? Hmmm. Oh, and cilantro....theirs is always very fresh, and about half the price of the 'regular' supermarkets.

Ok, I'm off for the kitchen. My tummy is demanding breakfast :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    7800 steps today + 5 Cents. I picked up Bananas, Apples & Plums etc. at the Grocery Store on the inbound leg of my walk. It was around the same temperature as yesterday too. Some rain in the forecast, The Weather report showed around .1 inches expected to fall.

Rototiller use in the near future after I have my breakfast shortly :) While I till the plan is for my brother to dig the raised garden beds in the back yard.

Have a Nice Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Home from work. Tagging wasn't too bad. They may ding me for not hanging some hose tags advertising candy that WE DON'T SELL in the fuel kiosk, but I don't want people asking for that and have nowhere to put it anyway. If I had some room, I'd bring a few out and see how they sell...but not today. Maybe tomorrow I'll think about finding somewhere to put some. Maybe in that side window rack...The last time we had signage for candy we don't carry, I did have someone ask for it, before I got any out there. That time it advertised Butterfinger and Nestle Crunch at 3 for $2. We did have the Butterfinger, and after the guy asked for the other one I did bring some out and they sold reasonably well. They are off sale now and when they run out I don't intend to bring any more out. They sell OK, but not well enough for the amount of space they take up. I can do better with something else, I think. I rotate two slots that I squeezed into the rack. The third squeezed in slot is permanently occupied with M & Ms Crispy. :)

Roger, you really should try cooking some rutabaga sometime. Closely related to turnip but cooks up with a nice sort of sweetness, and a lovely orange yellow color. Very low carb compared to potatoes but can be used instead of potatoes for a nice side dish, or starring in a main dish as with my big pan of roasted veggies.

I've even made mashed rutabaga (in lieu of mashed potatoes) with a little cream and butter. Fabulous!

Nap time...
    Hi Ed
    Thanks for the information on the vegetable.

Good News regarding the Tag Day, Sometimes they seem to think retail space is unlimited whereas You & I both know it is finite :)

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good Thursday Morning from the summery south!
    You said it Ed! Summer got here a little early this year. I just hope we see more rain in May that we have in April! Time to get at least part of the rain out of Texas, and share it with the south and east coast. Who wants to put that on their 'to do' list? :wink:

Clothes in the dryer, and cats fed.. must be my turn!

Bought my usual supply of veggies yesterday, should hold me for about 4 days. Then I can do a weekend shop at Whole Foods.

Its interesting...I have been having lots of birds on the back porch. They come in thru the 2 cat 'windows', and collect either cat hair, straw, or check out the floor for dry cat food crumbs. I guess maybe they know the cats are too old to really 'care'. As in the cats are past chasing little birdies for sport or food!

I think today will be a gym day, and a quick stop in the Mex. Market for an avocado and a couple of their Roma tomatoes. Maybe a jicama? Hmmm. Oh, and cilantro....theirs is always very fresh, and about half the price of the 'regular' supermarkets.

Ok, I'm off for the kitchen. My tummy is demanding breakfast :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    We have been having several types of birds at our feeder. I had to stop using the one as it was more of a squirrel feeder than a bird feeder :)

Around here we have a choice of regular, Indian, Asian and Spanish Grocery stores. The Spanish one has foods from all over Central & South America.

Nothing like being able to find a food 1/2 the price of the supermarket :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! I can see the weekend! Lilo has been fed and I've been fed, so in a bit it's off to the rat mines.

• Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good Morning Folks,
    Again I ask...what has happened to spring? I know...April showers bring May flowers. But does it have to be rainy and cool? The temps are not particularly pleasant for this hot weather gal. How soon can I move southward??
    Hoping to get out later to walk, but not up for it right now (rainy and about 44). Enjoy the day all.

FYI...did something funky with the editing, so all italicized. Sorry if that bothers anyone's eyes. Will try to fix it for tomorrow.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    8400 steps today, Slightly chilly so I wore and extra light layer. In my area yesterdays rain seems to have been a non event. When I looked out the window at 7PM the street was wet but under the trees it was still dry and the rain had stopped. Todays forecast is for some rain later, once again that mythical .1 inch of it. Currently we are near a 6 inch rainfall deficit for April.

No Tilling yesterday as my brother was not in the mood, maybe today.

While I was walking Yesterday the Boston Blackie show was from the War Years, I know for two reasons :)
    The show was about Blackie breaking up a Nazi ring that was sending departure information to Submarines regarding the sailing of Convoys and a commercial looking for Sailors to man the Merchant marine fleet to carry goods to the war.

Have a Nice End of the Week Day
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! I can see the weekend! Lilo has been fed and I've been fed, so in a bit it's off to the rat mines.

Hi Ed
    Another day of walking and while I was talking to the crossing guard he mentioned it would be nice not to get up at 5AM every day :)
    Would You believe they get nearly $15 an hour ? Of course it is only considered part time work, but not bad money for part time work.

Enjoy the Upcoming Weekend
    Roger
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Good Morning Folks,
    Again I ask...what has happened to spring? I know...April showers bring May flowers. But does it have to be rainy andcool? The temps are not particularly pleasant for this hot weather gal. How soon can I move southward??
    Hoping to get out later to walk, but not up for it right now (rainy and about 44). Enjoy the day all.

FYI...did something funky with the editing, so all italicized. Sorry if that bothers anyone's eyes. Will try to fix it for tomorrow.

Hi Lee-Ann
    At least You are getting rain, we get teasers in the forecast and next to nothing falls.
    I do not blame You for not wanting to go walking in the rain, 44 degrees and wet, Yuck!

No Problem with the italics for me. I took them out just for the heck of it.

Have a Good Day and upcoming Weekend
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Friday Morning TGIF folks! :)
    To be hot today Ed...90 or close to it, depending on where you are in the metro...summer arrived I think.

Roger your rain deficit is worse than ours, is that for the month or the year? But, the rain you are getting is as dismal as ours....past 2 days as example...Wed. nite, 50% chance of rain...nadda in my yard. It all fell south, around Macon. Then 60% chance yesterday, (Thurs) and agin nothing. So my garden sprinkler got a workout yesterday. I could almost hear the new grass, and other plants saying 'thank you'!! almost....

Come on down LeeAnn. Weathers great down here. Still cool at night, and warm to hot during the day. Next week they tell us we'll be back in the 70's which is more 'normal' for early May. Wonder if that will pan out, or if they get this wrong too! LOL!

This morning I've spent some time on my 'Global Health' class lectures and quizzes. Have a bit to go to finish out this weeks lectures. It is interesting. I am taking it for free. No sense in me paying $45 bucks for a certificate I'll never need or use :).... The interplay of communicable and Non Communicable disease and death rate is measurable, and transfers into Years Lost...like I said interesting. I'm entering/ HA,/ I'm 'IN' the Non Communicable Disease group now...and so glad I've reduced my risk factors with my wfpb eating and other lifestyle changs. Non Communicable Diseases pretty much all share diet and lifestyle risks in common. Ok, you've now passed this weeks course!!! LOL!!! I do get 'into' this stuff. Find it fascinating. As a college student I took a course called 'Community Health', and I don't recall Non-communicable Disease getting much more than a passing mention. It was all Communicable's, like measles, typhoid, at that time polio, etc. That was in 1960...we've learned a lot in 50 years....and in my opinion have a lot not only to learn, but to teach to everyone. (soap box put safely under my bed for the day)

Pick up script for thyroid, 2 bales of pine straw, and some azalea and rhoddy food for the shrubs.... You know if I get that close to garden stuff, there will be some 'live' green stuff following me home as well.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi Valerie
    As I understood what they reported that is a deficit for the Month. We are also well under for the year so far.

I do not think I would be happy with 90 degree weather in April :)

I see You are keeping the mind going with Global health classes, Congratulations on that.

We will be going out for yard work in a little while.

More running around in Your future I see too.

Before You ask, Not one single solitary cent did I find today :(
    OTOH I did talk for a few minutes to two different crossing guards on my walk this morning, They at least were not unhappy that Yesterdays afternoon rain fizzled out.

Enjoy
    Roger