Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi
    8900 steps while walking today, I also stopped at the produce store for a couple of Pears and Three Larger Mushrooms for my my Brother. It is slightly cooler than yesterday so I added a flannel jacket, Unbuttoned. I did carry the folding umbrella in my pocket just in case. It is dreary looking out and foggy in parts of NJ. There is a fine mist in the air that collected on my jacket. The Local bank time & Temperature display showed 7:39 and 46 degrees, The Time was off too :)

Only Two more Boston Blackie episodes to listen too, so tomorrow I will have to decide what to switch to mid walk.

Have a Nice Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    This Year to help with kneeling my brother bought a folding kneelers seat and it does help, kneeling on the padding and using the side bars to get up does make it easier.
    AossTS.jpg
    From the Jung Seeds site
    If your knees get cold, wet, dirty and stiff when planting or weeding, give this handy, lightweight kneeler a try. Flip it one way to use it to kneel on, using the two side bars as helpful supports to get you off your knees. Flip it over and it becomes a seat

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All!
    Your right Roger, I had somehow missed your post! You are getting the mini grape? How neat. Wonder if I could plant one or two either at the mailbox..or in big, big pots? You'll have to let me know what you think of the grapes...eating wise. Not making wine!
    The college link you sent for LeeAnn sounds interesting. I'm into 'Free Classes', as I have no intent to use my new knowledge except for self education. Cuz, I sure as heck am not going back to work at age 73!! LOL!!! I've been 'free' from alarm clocks, deadlines, bedtimes, etc for 11 months...and I like it!!!!

Ed, I got about half and inch of rain over the weekend. Mostly in small, and very noisy fits from Mother Nature! Last evening the thunder just 'rolled', on and on. It wasn't real close, except for the first clap, which scared me out of my chair!!! I saw some pretty nasty footage of downed trees in the area this morning on the news. One about 2 streets from DS2... We have these beautiful big trees....and they do fall down! I just hope when the pines behind my house come down I'm out shopping, or at the other end of the house! I don't relish the idea of being smoosched!

Have sheets in the washer, and I've eaten a banana...not terribly hungry this morning!?! Unusual, but since I feel fine, not gonna worry....

Plans for the day...gym, and feeding roses. Listening to the Food Summit. Fortunately its audio only, so I can do it on my phone while I go about doing other stuff...like walking or going to the gym....:)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Good Morning All!
    Your right Roger, I had somehow missed your post! You are getting the mini grape? How neat. Wonder if I could plant one or two either at the mailbox..or in big, big pots? You'll have to let me know what you think of the grapes...eating wise. Not making wine!
    The college link you sent for LeeAnn sounds interesting. I'm into 'Free Classes', as I have no intent to use my new knowledge except for self education. Cuz, I sure as heck am not going back to work at age 73!! LOL!!! I've been 'free' from alarm clocks, deadlines, bedtimes, etc for 11 months...and I like it!!!!

Ed, I got about half and inch of rain over the weekend. Mostly in small, and very noisy fits from Mother Nature! Last evening the thunder just 'rolled', on and on. It wasn't real close, except for the first clap, which scared me out of my chair!!! I saw some pretty nasty footage of downed trees in the area this morning on the news. One about 2 streets from DS2... We have these beautiful big trees....and they do fall down! I just hope when the pines behind my house come down I'm out shopping, or at the other end of the house! I don't relish the idea of being smoosched!

Have sheets in the washer, and I've eaten a banana...not terribly hungry this morning!?! Unusual, but since I feel fine, not gonna worry....

Plans for the day...gym, and feeding roses. Listening to the Food Summit. Fortunately its audio only, so I can do it on my phone while I go about doing other stuff...like walking or going to the gym....:)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    From the Product description on the Reisling Pixie Grapes, notice the part I Bolded, So yes You can grow in a container and the part that says fruits in as little as 12 weeks is also interesting we shall see. I wonder if sinking the container into the ground works as winter protection for plants that need protection if conatinerized?
    Description
    Vigorous dwarf vine with an upright growth habit. Grow compact grape clusters even in containers! This Riesling grape variety originated in the Rhine region of Germany. Sweet white grape is aromatic and is traditionally used to make dry, semi-sweet, sweet, and sparkling white wines. Matures late. Fruits in as little as 12 weeks. Can thrive in northern climates and relatively poor soils. Requires winter protection if grown in a container. Cold-hardy. Ripens in August/September. Self-pollinating.

I hate when Thunderstorms roll through. I worry wondering if the big tree across the street could fall on the house too, The only good thing is that most winds come from the side of the tree and not where they would push it onto the house.

Free is a good price IMO. However in that link I think only one month of a sample course is available for free.

I had some Chinese Saturday and as of this morning it is still kicking my weight around. Today is another day of being careful of what and how much I eat, Hopefully tomorrow the scale will be kinder.

Cheers, You seem to have a busy day scheduled
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited May 2016
    Options
    OOps
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Hey Roger,
    Well it happened again...not sure how you're sneaking that in between Ed's post and mine! I pointedly LOOKED this morning when I finished my post, and the two posts from May 2, was one from Ed, followed by mine....
    And now I see 2 posts snugged in...from you! ITs a good trick. Also I see the time it said I posted....maybe I need to 'refresh' the page? I dunno.
    The kneeling bench does look neat.

Ok, 3 loads of laundry washed and dried, sliding glass door washed inside and out, gym, lunch out...listened to all three of the presenters...I am DONE for the day.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,597 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! I've had my buckwheat groats creamy hot cereal. Lilo has been fed.

Last night's dinner was spaghetti squash marinara. One of the aunts gave J a spaghetti squash while he was in Kentucky so I cooked it last night. It was delicious, slathered with marinara, with some garlic cheese toast and a nice Chianti.

I need to make some liver, fava beans, and Chianti soon...

Today I need to make some Guacamole as I have a couple of avocados that are ready to roll.

Off to the salt races!

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    So far no walk today and I am not sure if I will get out for a couple of reasons. It is raining outside and the second reason is I'm tired. I was up and down all night. I have requested my brother not to tempt me by asking if I would like Chinese if he goes for any and not to even mention it until he is back thus removing temptation :) It makes me retain water for several days.

I had planned to go to the banks on my walk today too. Now I will have to see how the morning is going and take into consideration what the weather forecasts show to decide if I want to make coffee or go later if the rain departs. The first one I looked at today shows rain this morning and tomorrow as well as rain every other day for the next week.

Temperatures are showing warmer than yesterday, yesterday it was in the 40s when I went out the door, today in the 50s already.

Have a Great Tuesday, Stay Dry
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hey Roger,
    Well it happened again...not sure how you're sneaking that in between Ed's post and mine! I pointedly LOOKED this morning when I finished my post, and the two posts from May 2, was one from Ed, followed by mine....
    And now I see 2 posts snugged in...from you! ITs a good trick. Also I see the time it said I posted....maybe I need to 'refresh' the page? I dunno.
    The kneeling bench does look neat.

Ok, 3 loads of laundry washed and dried, sliding glass door washed inside and out, gym, lunch out...listened to all three of the presenters...I am DONE for the day.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I do tend to open the page and then post and then after I have saved it I hit refresh to see if anything new sneaked in above my post, if it did I hit quote, cut that quote out, open the one I saved and choose edit and paste in the quote so I can answer it too. And as with everything, I do not always do that too.

I tried the Kneeling bench and it did make it more comfortable kneeling. I have knees that yell, complain and hurt when I kneel directly on them on a hard surface. I have used pillows in the past, this worked easier and made getting up easier too.

I hope Your weather is better than I am having this week
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! I've had my buckwheat groats creamy hot cereal. Lilo has been fed.

Last night's dinner was spaghetti squash marinara. One of the aunts gave J a spaghetti squash while he was in Kentucky so I cooked it last night. It was delicious, slathered with marinara, with some garlic cheese toast and a nice Chianti.

I need to make some liver, fava beans, and Chianti soon...

Today I need to make some Guacamole as I have a couple of avocados that are ready to roll.

Off to the salt races!
    Hi Ed
    The Garlic Cheese Toast sounds delicious too. What they pass off for that around here is pretty much terrible, it is as if they took a loaf, chopped some garlic and used a oil, probably the cheapest they can get too and a sprinkle of cheese. IMO it needs the garlic chopped and crushed into a butter sauce using real butter and slices of Mozzarella than toast in a oven with the heating element going to toast the bottom lightly and the broiling element going over it to toast the top and melt the cheese in. How do You do it?

I do not recall ever having Fava Beans or Spaghetti Squash

Thank You
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed
    The Garlic Cheese Toast sounds delicious too. What they pass off for that around here is pretty much terrible, it is as if they took a loaf, chopped some garlic and used a oil, probably the cheapest they can get too and a sprinkle of cheese. IMO it needs the garlic chopped and crushed into a butter sauce using real butter and slices of Mozzarella than toast in a oven with the heating element going to toast the bottom lightly and the broiling element going over it to toast the top and melt the cheese in. How do You do it?

Thank You
    Roger

I'm with you! The garlic has to be well mixed with the butter (and it has to be REAL: butter) which I melt so I can brush it on the bread. Not to soak the bread but you definitely want enough to see and taste. Then I add a generous sprinkle of shredded Italian or Pizza cheese, some parsley, and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning. Bake at 400 to 450, on non-stick foil until it's as toasty looking as I want.

Spaghetti Squash is a somewhat obscure vegetable. We've only had it two or three times, mostly because I just don't think about it when I'm shopping at the farmers market or at work. My way of preparing it is to heat the oven to 400, cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and inner strings, brush the cut sides with oil, butter, or ghee, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then roast, cut side UP, for 45 minutes to an hour. Let cool for 10 or 15 minutes and then use a fork to scrape out the spaghetti like strands. Serve as you would spaghetti. It's really delicious!

Fava beans are not really an obscure vegetable, just not particularly popular in western cuisine. You can usually find them in the Mexican food section, or look at any farmers market. Or if you have a middle eastern grocery, they will have them. I like to make them into Egyptian felafels or a middle eastern stew called Ful. Or Foul. Varied spelling.

I made the Guacamole tonight, a little extra spicy, but not as much as I sometimes do. Then souped up some refried beans with onion, garlic, jalapeño and bell pepper, put that on some corn chips, added salsa, Mexican style shredded cheese, and a big dollop of Guacamole in the middle. J and I both enjoyed the nachos.

And I can testify that juicing a couple of Persian limes with a paper cut on your finger is VERY INTERESTING. But not funny...

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday already again! Tag day. Hopefully it will be pleasant out there. It looks as though it will be.

Off to the salt mines!

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    It is raining outside so here I am instead of out walking. I hope / Expect to be out later walking. The weather forecast says better conditions later.

Some recent news from here: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/05/01/100-year-old-runner-breaks-world-record-at-penn-relays/
    100-Year-Old Runner Breaks World Record At Penn Relays
    PHILADELPHIA (CBS) –– There are many wonderful stories at the Penn Relays, but, this year, one woman is inspiring many. She’s 100 years old and still pounding the turf.

The 122nd Penn Relays at Franklin Field in West Philadelphia brought together athletes from all corners of track and field, but the record-breaking performance by 100-year-old Ida Keeling was perhaps the biggest highlight.

Weird News from Thursday Here: http://abc13.com/news/lunchroom-lunacy-isd-cops-investigate-fake-money/1314203/
    Lunchroom Lunacy: ISD cops investigate $2 bill spent on school lunch
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:59PM
    HOUSTON (KTRK) --
    When you think of felony forgery your thoughts might turn to Al Capone or Bonnie and Clyde shooting it out with the Texas Rangers.

Not for some local school cops. For one day, public enemy number one when it came to forgery was 13-year-old eighth grader Danesiah Neal at Fort Bend Independent School District's Christa McAuliffe Middle School.

Now 14, Daneisha was hoping to eat that day's lunch of chicken tenders with her classmates using a $2 bill given to her by her grandmother when she was stopped by the long arm of the law.

"I went to the lunch line and they said my $2 bill was fake," Danesiah told Ted Oberg Investigates. "They gave it to the police. Then they sent me to the police office. A police officer said I could be in big trouble."

Not just big trouble. Third-degree felony trouble.

Sheesh
    All I can say is summed up here
    https://youtu.be/lMTrthePKU0

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed

Thank You
    Roger

I'm with you! The garlic has to be well mixed with the butter (and it has to be REAL: butter) which I melt so I can brush it on the bread. Not to soak the bread but you definitely want enough to see and taste. Then I add a generous sprinkle of shredded Italian or Pizza cheese, some parsley, and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning. Bake at 400 to 450, on non-stick foil until it's as toasty looking as I want.

Spaghetti Squash is a somewhat obscure vegetable. We've only had it two or three times, mostly because I just don't think about it when I'm shopping at the farmers market or at work. My way of preparing it is to heat the oven to 400, cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and inner strings, brush the cut sides with oil, butter, or ghee, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then roast, cut side UP, for 45 minutes to an hour. Let cool for 10 or 15 minutes and then use a fork to scrape out the spaghetti like strands. Serve as you would spaghetti. It's really delicious!

Fava beans are not really an obscure vegetable, just not particularly popular in western cuisine. You can usually find them in the Mexican food section, or look at any farmers market. Or if you have a middle eastern grocery, they will have them. I like to make them into Egyptian felafels or a middle eastern stew called Ful. Or Foul. Varied spelling.

I made the Guacamole tonight, a little extra spicy, but not as much as I sometimes do. Then souped up some refried beans with onion, garlic, jalapeño and bell pepper, put that on some corn chips, added salsa, Mexican style shredded cheese, and a big dollop of Guacamole in the middle. J and I both enjoyed the nachos.

And I can testify that juicing a couple of Persian limes with a paper cut on your finger is VERY INTERESTING. But not funny...
    Hi Ed
    Thank You for the information on the Fava Beans And Spaghetti squash.

I can imagine that the acidity in the limes would burn like the dickens. FWIW the drugstore should have these for future use.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_cot
    A finger cot (also finger frock or finger stall, informally finger condom) is a medical supply used to cover one or more fingers in situations where a full glove is unnecessary. Like medical and rubber gloves, finger cots may be made from a variety of water-tight materials including latex, nitrile rubber, and vinyl.

I ran across them many years ago when they used them to handle things that would be damaged if touched by bare fingers. The advantage was they left most of the hand free to avoid having it sweat.

Have a Nice Tag Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Wednesday Morning!
    I'm off to the races...quick shower, groceries, lunch with Marietta, and phone chat with DS1...
    Loved the discourse on spaghetti squash,(which I cannot eat anymore) and fava beans. I've never cooked them from either fresh or dried, but years ago ran across a wonderful recipe in a Mediteranian cookbook... a peasant dish... Canned fava beans in a bowl, add soft cooked or poached egg on top. It's delicious, nice hot dish on chilly days. Roomie and I used to love it and would wail on about the 'poor peasants' having to eat such swill!! LOL!! I need to hunt down a can of fava beans. Now I want some. (sans egg).

You might also find finger cots in office supply stores....great way to prevent paper cuts, and great 'gripping' effect when leafing thru papers. Acids and salt are totally ouchy in cuts and scrapes!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi
    Update: I got out walking +8100 steps shortly after I posted above since the rain had stopped.
    I picked up a couple of Gala Apples and a Green Pear and four Bananas at the local Grocery store. I learned something too, I have been wasting money there. I noticed that the person in front of got a 10% Senior Citizen Discount, So I asked and got one too. That falls into the category of Who Knew :) I never expected a Grocery Store to be doing that.

Oh Well
    Roger
    Good Wednesday Morning!
    I'm off to the races...quick shower, groceries, lunch with Marietta, and phone chat with DS1...
    Loved the discourse on spaghetti squash,(which I cannot eat anymore) and fava beans. I've never cooked them from either fresh or dried, but years ago ran across a wonderful recipe in a Mediteranian cookbook... a peasant dish... Canned fava beans in a bowl, add soft cooked or poached egg on top. It's delicious, nice hot dish on chilly days. Roomie and I used to love it and would wail on about the 'poor peasants' having to eat such swill!! LOL!! I need to hunt down a can of fava beans. Now I want some. (sans egg).

You might also find finger cots in office supply stores....great way to prevent paper cuts, and great 'gripping' effect when leafing thru papers. Acids and salt are totally ouchy in cuts and scrapes!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I did not even think of a office supply store for the finger cots.

You seem to have a busy day ahead of You, Enjoy
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    A lot of grocery stores do the senior discount thing on Wednesdays.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    A lot of grocery stores do the senior discount thing on Wednesdays.

Hi Ed
    Hmmm...
    I did not think of that, I do seem to vaguely remember hearing that somewhere,maybe here?

Thank You for the update
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! Supposed to be fairly nice today, though there is some chance of rain.

Off to the rat mines.

• Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    Just realized I haven't been here for several days...this end of the semester grading is time consuming!
    I know spaghetti squash is better for me than garlic toast, but the garlic toast probably tastes so much better! Actually, spag squash can look very pretty, with the bright yellow of the squash strands contrasted with bright red sauce. I have cooked it in the past - it is very easy.
    Roger, it suddenly hit me how long your walks must be - and in the rain! Wow.
    Val, Ed - looking to hear more about the courses and cooking. Val, as soon as I have time for free courses, maybe I will try something just for fun. For now, it is the dissertation.
    Take care all - will try to walk between the raindrops,
    Lee-Ann
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Morning All,
    Woke up to chilliness this morning! Yesterday I was feeling sorry for Roger having morning walks beginning in the 40's....well guess what!??! That Arctic Clipper arrived in GA!
    Will be better by the weekend though! Meanwhile my hot oatmeal breakfast really tastes good this morning.

Listening to the speakers I missed yesterday...should finish up by the time todays speakers begin...my poor ears...and busy brain. (we need a meme with a squiggly mouth and crossed eyes)!

LeeAnn, hopefully you'll have your semester end grading done quickly, and can put a big check mark on your 'to do' list!

Later...