100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)

Options

Replies

• Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Yep, you seem to be the healthy one for the moment Roger! I really did not expect to have problems this late into retaking the Lasix. I had picked up bananas too, just in case that happened so that was fortunate. I walked about 6200 steps Sunday, so that probably had not helped, but it still takes about a half day to decide if it is gout or just fatigued ankle. :/
    Glad you were ahead of the snow! It will be interesting to see if you get any!

Val, glad you were able to fix your pain! :) I love it when natural fixes work!

Roger, your jokes were well timed and appreciated again! Sitting with my foot propped, as I did get to feed the birds today, and retrieved my trash cart as they picked up this morning. That is all the walking I wanted for the am! I know I want that 2nd cup of coffee, but do I want to get up? LOL!

Have a great Weds. Time flies! ..Jan B)
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I was out walking for 8.5K Steps + 1 cent. The temperature is 35 degrees, and comfortable for walking. Yesterdays snow ended up being not bad. A few minutes with the broom and the sidewalks were clean. Today some of the sidewalks that had not been cleaned and were shaded still had snow on them. Since the roads were good I modified my route for walking to less traveled roads where there were no sidewalks :)

I'll be off to CostCo around 9:30 or so for Toilet Paper, Multi-vitamins and since I'll be there a bag of frozen Green Beans and a bag of Normandy Mix vegetables.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger

Average Hotel Rates In Punxsutawney For Groundhog Day More Expensive Than Those In Houston For Super Bowl

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — We’re just days away from Super Bowl 51 in Houston — but it appears Pennsylvania has the hottest event in February.

Groundhog Day is this Thursday, and apparently people are shelling out big bucks to celebrate the traditional holiday with Punxsutawney Phil.

The hotel website Trivago looked at average hotel rates for Punxsutawney around Groundhog Day. It found they’re actually more expensive than those in Houston for the Super Bowl.

According to Trivago, it costs about $450 for a one-night hotel stay in Punxsutawney. That is compared to the $340 for a room in Houston.

Shadow or not, the average rate drops by more than $300 the day after Groundhog Day.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    I had meant to comment on the fact someone had noticed your walking, Roger! That was awfully nice that they acknowledged your efforts! And just noticed for that matter as we are all so focused on hurrying thru our day! That was really awesome! I also loved people stopped for the geese. Reminds me of Chester.. not in a hurry for anything! :) Congrats! .. Jan

Hi Jan
    I agree so many people are in a hurry these days. I was surprised that traffic stopped for the geese, and that these darn geese are so used to people and cars that they were only meandering across the road.
    Hello!

Yep, you seem to be the healthy one for the moment Roger! I really did not expect to have problems this late into retaking the Lasix. I had picked up bananas too, just in case that happened so that was fortunate. I walked about 6200 steps Sunday, so that probably had not helped, but it still takes about a half day to decide if it is gout or just fatigued ankle. :/
    Glad you were ahead of the snow! It will be interesting to see if you get any!

Val, glad you were able to fix your pain! :) I love it when natural fixes work!

Roger, your jokes were well timed and appreciated again! Sitting with my foot propped, as I did get to feed the birds today, and retrieved my trash cart as they picked up this morning. That is all the walking I wanted for the am! I know I want that 2nd cup of coffee, but do I want to get up? LOL!

Have a great Weds. Time flies! ..Jan B)
    More Humor today, I have so many to use, My brother keeps sending them :)

Do what I do, just get the Extra Large Cup of Coffee AKA 30 to 32 Ounce size o:)

Hopefully it is not the gout, just a fatigued ankle.
    Good Luck
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    I forgot to share info from my doc...he said it is normal that the left foot swells more than the right foot for everyone. Essentially the return veins from the left have to cross over all the vessels coming from the left side of the heart, so they get more restricted than the right.
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Hello!

I am so glad to know about the ankle situation, Val. My left one swells so badly. but it must be the injury to it, and not the CHF. That makes me feel somewhat better! Thanks for sharing! One load off my mind!.. Bet your starter window boxes are getting much taller these last few days! Can't wait to see the next pictures!

Never too much humor, Rodger! Need it as it is definitely gout and painful for the first 24 hours. Then more of a nuisance as I have things to do. However, sitting entertaining myself could be worse, lol! I finished Robin Hood with Richard Greene and caught up on Blue Bloods, which I had been looking for on Amazon. No reminder when they restarted it, so I got to watch several episodes in a row. No hardship, lol! It is taking forever for the swelling to go down in my foot, luckily the other foot has a small amount of discomfort and minimal swelling, so that is good. Tomorrow I will be getting out, (no choice) so we will see. I have to pick up dog food in a bit, but that is a mini run!

Glad the snow was no hindrance! What veggies are in Normandy vegetables? It is 67 degrees, cool in the house. We are to have a couple sunny days! 11.5 inches rain for January here, twice the normal amount, lol! Still a drought here and there! Take care ...Jan B)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I was out walking for 10.7K Steps + 1 cent. The temperature is 35 degrees, and comfortable for walking.

I stopped at the Grocery Store for Bananas and Picked up a few loose Mixed nuts in the shell and some lightly salted Peanuts that are not bad for Sodium per serving. Then back to home for a Protein Shake and a few minutes later back out the door to the bank timed to arrive after it opened.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    I forgot to share info from my doc...he said it is normal that the left foot swells more than the right foot for everyone. Essentially the return veins from the left have to cross over all the vessels coming from the left side of the heart, so they get more restricted than the right.

Hi Val
    That is a interesting fact and something I never heard of before :)

Thank You for that Information
    Roger
    Hello!

I am so glad to know about the ankle situation, Val. My left one swells so badly. but it must be the injury to it, and not the CHF. That makes me feel somewhat better! Thanks for sharing! One load off my mind!.. Bet your starter window boxes are getting much taller these last few days! Can't wait to see the next pictures!

Never too much humor, Rodger! Need it as it is definitely gout and painful for the first 24 hours. Then more of a nuisance as I have things to do. However, sitting entertaining myself could be worse, lol! I finished Robin Hood with Richard Greene and caught up on Blue Bloods, which I had been looking for on Amazon. No reminder when they restarted it, so I got to watch several episodes in a row. No hardship, lol! It is taking forever for the swelling to go down in my foot, luckily the other foot has a small amount of discomfort and minimal swelling, so that is good. Tomorrow I will be getting out, (no choice) so we will see. I have to pick up dog food in a bit, but that is a mini run!

Glad the snow was no hindrance! What veggies are in Normandy vegetables? It is 67 degrees, cool in the house. We are to have a couple sunny days! 11.5 inches rain for January here, twice the normal amount, lol! Still a drought here and there! Take care ...Jan B)

Hi Jan
    In reverse order, Normandy Mix is Califlower, Broccoli, and two types of Carrots, sliced and whole baby carrot style.

That much rain should have been a big help however.

I am sorry to hear that it was the Gout :(

FWIW More Humor was just posted :)

Have Fun
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Good morning!

I see your walking steps are back up to normal! That is a good thing! :) My mini trip went well, so I feel better about going out tonite! Not much pain in the foot, just alot of swelling that is not going down much. I am not sure why.

Going tonite to see a Chinese Dance group, it looks to be interesting! If I can't find parking, my steps may be interesting for today! LOL!

I saw in the news that a Fla. preacher was caught with a woman by her husband in a compromising situation and he ran out of the house naked. That is a lot to explain to police and your congregation, lol. Poor guy.. The news is always surprising!

Loved your new pictures. The baby and kitten are just precious! Take care! Jan B) ....did not do so good yesterday..I was attacked by some Doritos! o:) (salt, foot swelling, I know..)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I was out walking for 13.1K Steps The temperature is 28 degrees, and comfortable for walking due to no wind chill.
    I walked to the barber shop and back hence the high step count. I did stop at the local corner Diner since I was at the barber shop before he opened. I ended up with two eggs and rye toast.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Good morning!

I see your walking steps are back up to normal! That is a good thing! :) My mini trip went well, so I feel better about going out tonite! Not much pain in the foot, just alot of swelling that is not going down much. I am not sure why.

Going tonite to see a Chinese Dance group, it looks to be interesting! If I can't find parking, my steps may be interesting for today! LOL!

I saw in the news that a Fla. preacher was caught with a woman by her husband in a compromising situation and he ran out of the house naked. That is a lot to explain to police and your congregation, lol. Poor guy.. The news is always surprising!

Loved your new pictures. The baby and kitten are just precious! Take care! Jan B) ....did not do so good yesterday..I was attacked by some Doritos! o:) (salt, foot swelling, I know..)

Hi Jan
    Congratulations on the Min Trip. I hope Your evening was good too.

Darn it, I missed the Humor segment on the local cable news channel called three things to know :(

Doritos could do that, I do not have a weakness for them, Mine is more of a Fritos Corn Chips and Potato Chips problem :(

Have a Good Day
    Roger

New Humor today too :)
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Good morning!

Well, my parking plan worked! I got a great place a short walk from the venue and only cost 75 cents. Of course to kill time, I went to one of my favorite restaurants, killed my diet, and spent $34.00 due to leaving a nice tip! LOL! I did not mind that though! The place is called Saza, and has awesome Italian food. I got some of their soft bread sticks, which I could make a meal on. They are covered with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, and served with a cheese cream to die for! That is just 2.00! Then had the Sunday dinner, which is homemade beef roast, pork and wine simmered with San Marzino tomatoes and goodness knows what else, with two beef/veal meatballs simmered in, on top of rigatoni. Like you have died and gone to heaven! Slightly over my calorie count, lol!

Walked a short distance to the show, then stood to get in. That seemed silly, but they do not let you to your seats until 30 minutes before time, barely giving you time for any bathroom or refreshment break. Security and saving money, I guess! They also turned the air off about 1/2 way into the performance, making it rather warm. Next time I will remember to bring some thing to fan! And the seats are hard for almost 2 hours!! Even if I am getting old! However the show, Shen Yun was very good! It had classical Chinese ballet, which includes and originated flawless moves, tumbling and flips with pure Chinese- noted discipline. There were folk dances from several provinces, including Tibet and Mongolia. Also several awesome short stories, several of which they can not perform in China, as they reenact the communist take over of Chenkishek , and killing of innocent students by the same communist regime. They employed an interesting screen technique as backround for temples, scenery, buildings, ect. They projected the characters flying on the screen to earth, then appearing from behind a small partition at exactly the same spot to get on stage, making the transition flawless and rather remarkable. The skits ranged from funny, as one monk defended his temple by farting( musical instrument like a whoopie cushion) on the attacker, ( awesomely achieving a laugh because you assumed the attacker was going to step and crush the monk), to actually terrifying as the Chinese regime set off a nuclear device, but the dancers were saved by the Devine (Dah), who interceded on man's behalf. Throw in 2 really good opera singer solo's and a beautiful Chinese instrument soloist,and you have it..really something....Every year the show is different, so I hope they come back.

I can't walk much today, and am really tired, but it was nice to get out! Still not hungry after last night, maybe the average of the two days won't be too bad, lol! :#

Still having a laugh about your posting the room prices for Ground hog day! Isn't that price gouging or something?

I have a problem with chips and Cheetos too! o:)

Have a good weekend! Jan ..cloudy and chilly at 50 degrees..lol!

• hope4change_val
    Options
    Hi. I'm scared about my health. Even with Lasiks, im having edema in my lower legs. Even whenni walk for miles (when i took Em snd friend to UTSA). I'm restricting salt and increasing water. Go gor blood test next week then see the doctor the following week. Val
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Garden doing well. Garlic is about a foot tall.
    ku4sdbcadjl6.jpg
    ylvivsiyru2b.jpg
  • RogerToo
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi
    I was out walking for 8.5K Steps The temperature is 22 degrees, and not very comfortable for walking due to wind chill in the teens.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good morning!

Well, my parking plan worked! I got a great place a short walk from the venue and only cost 75 cents. Of course to kill time, I went to one of my favorite restaurants, killed my diet, and spent $34.00 due to leaving a nice tip! LOL! I did not mind that though! The place is called Saza, and has awesome Italian food. I got some of their soft bread sticks, which I could make a meal on. They are covered with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, and served with a cheese cream to die for! That is just 2.00! Then had the Sunday dinner, which is homemade beef roast, pork and wine simmered with San Marzino tomatoes and goodness knows what else, with two beef/veal meatballs simmered in, on top of rigatoni. Like you have died and gone to heaven! Slightly over my calorie count, lol!

Walked a short distance to the show, then stood to get in. That seemed silly, but they do not let you to your seats until 30 minutes before time, barely giving you time for any bathroom or refreshment break. Security and saving money, I guess! They also turned the air off about 1/2 way into the performance, making it rather warm. Next time I will remember to bring some thing to fan! And the seats are hard for almost 2 hours!! Even if I am getting old! However the show, Shen Yun was very good! It had classical Chinese ballet, which includes and originated flawless moves, tumbling and flips with pure Chinese- noted discipline. There were folk dances from several provinces, including Tibet and Mongolia. Also several awesome short stories, several of which they can not perform in China, as they reenact the communist take over of Chenkishek , and killing of innocent students by the same communist regime. They employed an interesting screen technique as backround for temples, scenery, buildings, ect. They projected the characters flying on the screen to earth, then appearing from behind a small partition at exactly the same spot to get on stage, making the transition flawless and rather remarkable. The skits ranged from funny, as one monk defended his temple by farting( musical instrument like a whoopie cushion) on the attacker, ( awesomely achieving a laugh because you assumed the attacker was going to step and crush the monk), to actually terrifying as the Chinese regime set off a nuclear device, but the dancers were saved by the Devine (Dah), who interceded on man's behalf. Throw in 2 really good opera singer solo's and a beautiful Chinese instrument soloist,and you have it..really something....Every year the show is different, so I hope they come back.

I can't walk much today, and am really tired, but it was nice to get out! Still not hungry after last night, maybe the average of the two days won't be too bad, lol! :#

Still having a laugh about your posting the room prices for Ground hog day! Isn't that price gouging or something?

I have a problem with chips and Cheetos too! o:)

Have a good weekend! Jan ..cloudy and chilly at 50 degrees..lol!
    Hi Jan
    Good news that the parking plan worked, Sorry to hear about the food.

That does sound like a great show.

I do not think it can be called a form of price gouging, however not illegal gouging.
    It is a demonstration of the law of supply and demand in operation.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi. I'm scared about my health. Even with Lasiks, im having edema in my lower legs. Even whenni walk for miles (when i took Em snd friend to UTSA). I'm restricting salt and increasing water. Go gor blood test next week then see the doctor the following week. Val

Hi Val
    Can You move the blood test and doctor appointment sooner?

I hope it is nothing.
    Good Luck
    Roger

BTW the garden is looking good.
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Good Morning!

Val, sorry to hear about your swelling! That is aggravating, especially as to trying to find the cause. I hope you find it is something easily adjusted! :) Thanks for the update on your garden! It is looking great!

Roger, kudos for walking in the wind and temperatures! It was cold here this morning, so it makes sense you would be getting that blast! I just did not realize it was that chilly!

Keep up the good work! :) Jan ..Aiming for consistency here!
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    I could move the blood test and doc appt closer but I'm going to stay the course. Since yesterday I've been perfect on eating healthy and low sodium. So, id like a week of that before the test.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good Morning!

Val, sorry to hear about your swelling! That is aggravating, especially as to trying to find the cause. I hope you find it is something easily adjusted! :) Thanks for the update on your garden! It is looking great!

Roger, kudos for walking in the wind and temperatures! It was cold here this morning, so it makes sense you would be getting that blast! I just did not realize it was that chilly!

Keep up the good work! :) Jan ..Aiming for consistency here!

Hi Jan
    I do the best I can.
    I am currently eating some of the NS Shelf Stable Pizzas that I had overlooked and the 3 of them and a NS Chicken Pot Pie are at the end of their shelf life :( So despite not being in the mood for three days in a row of the pizzas I will be using them up as I am cheap (Frugal).

Stay Warm
    Roger
    I could move the blood test and doc appt closer but I'm going to stay the course. Since yesterday I've been perfect on eating healthy and low sodium. So, id like a week of that before the test.
    Hi Val
    That does make sense.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Val
    I did see where You had lost 1.2 pounds and a total of 12 pounds on the Home page.
    Congratulations
    Roger

Hi Jan I saw where You posted 9 hours ago
    completed her food and exercise diary for 2/04/2017 and was under her calorie goal

Congratulations on that too.
    Roger

New Humor preceded by some interesting text.

Hi
    I was out walking for 9K Steps The temperature is a little bit warmer than yesterday, and not very all that comfortable for walking.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger

Study: Working More Than 39 Hours A Week Harmful To Mental Health

CANBERRA, Australia — Employers take note: having your staff work overtime could be doing more harm than good. A new study finds that working more than 39 hours a week is actually detrimental to one’s health.
    Working more than 39 hours per week can pose significant health risks, especially for women, researchers found.

Published in the Social Science & Medicine journal, researchers from Australian National University compiled previously-released government data from about 8,000 employed Australian men and women aged 24 to 64.

The researchers found on average that 40 or more hours of work a week — typically considered full-time employment— can lead to mental health issues. This was especially true when combined with other commitments.

In large part due to additional time constraints, such as caregiving, it was found that the average healthy work limit for women was only 34 hours a week. For men, the limit was found to be as high as 47 hours a week.

“Given the extra demands placed on women, it’s impossible for women to work long hours often expected by employers unless they compromise their health,” lead researcher Huong Dinh told PS News.

This study helps shatter a widely-held belief that it is healthy to work up to 48 hours a week. That theory based upon an 80-year-old standard set by the International Labour Organization.

One conclusion that can be taken from the study is that women are disadvantaged in many senses in the workforce. Since they cannot work for as many hours without compromising their health, men often get better and higher paying positions.

In Australia, over 40% of employed individuals work 40-plus hours a week.
    https://www.studyfinds.org/study-finds-that-40-hour-workweeks-bad-for-mental-health/