100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hi
    It is 65 degrees this morning and cloudy. I went walking today for 8,632 steps and One Shiny Penny that was just sitting there calling my name :)
    Forecast today if for the weather to turn cooler and stay colder In through next week.

I broke down and ordered a Kindle when it was on sale for $50. It came and I set it up yesterday and added a bunch of free titles, including the First Harry Potter Book.
    I had some trouble with it not turning on and had to do the full reset to get to the setting it up screen. Then it was fine all day. This morning once again I would hit the power button and the green light would flash on and off and it did not power on again. Holding the power button until the green light flashed and then releasing it brought up a screen with the options of reset, cancel etc. And it was OK again.
    I will be on the email to support later on as it appears that it is defective. I am sure this is not normal operation for a new device :(

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Hi!

Thank you for those links to the shows. I appreciate it!

Be careful to not overdo! It is easy to do too much too soon! You could try putting some peppermint oil or Ben Gay on your knee before you walk. Then the walking might warm it better for the day, and reapply later in the day. I have been extra achy just in the arthritis department, I guess from the work putting things back. I feel like I may never finish!

Yes, I would be wary of the way that kindle is working. It may be well worth it to send it back and request another. It happens. I hope you get it resolved!

Working on the house today, it seems like slow going! It sure was faster putting everything in a pile than it is putting it back, lol! :#

Eating better- Feeling better** Thought for the day!

Feel better! Have a good Friday!! Jan B)
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It is 68 degrees this morning and very cloudy, Warmer than yesterday, hmmm... I went walking today for 8701 steps.
    Forecast today is for rain to move in later on.

MFP seems to be having some problems this morning too.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Jan
    I don't have either of those and TBH I am only feeling it right now when I get up in the night or first thing in the morning and that passes after a couple of minutes.

The Kindle seems to be OK this morning. I have taken the precaution of going on record with them that there may be a problem.

I'm not surprised that getting the house back in order is taking longer :)

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Hi!

I am glad your knee feels that good! That is a Blessing! I am glad your Kindle is straightening itself out too! Sounds like things are on the up and up!

I found a good deal on a car and went to look. Imagine my surprise when I came home with it! Definitely a day to remember. Needless to say, did not get much done with the house yesterday! I have to stop by the insurance people today and also it is Grandparents Day at the kids school. So I am headed there just after noon. then a quick trip to Lowes as my screen is in. Won't get the house done today, either, LOL!

Sat. is my son's birthday, so going there for Taco soup. It may be Tues. before I get back to the house! The schedule so far has kept me on track eating, I just down something healthy and I am off!

Expecting the mid 40's for the lows for the next few days, and mid 70's for the highs. Real fall weather!

Keep up the good work! Jan B) no rain till maybe Monday....

• RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    Hi
    It is 52 degrees this morning cloudy and rainy, 16 degrees colder than yesterday, I went walked today for 8,999 steps One shy of 9K.
    Forecast today is for rain and later today windy. I geared up for the walk in in a medium weight long sleeve sweatshirt and my Frogg Toggs and of course gloves and was OK. The rain hitting the Hood on the Jacket sounded just like scratches on a record would :)

I was Listening to a Charlie Chan movie soundtrack while walking. One line stuck in my head. Someone told him he needs to use a Lie Detector, His answer, I have a Instant Lie detector, I'm married :)

The MFP problems yesterday are likely related to the DDOS that was on the news.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    Hi!

I am glad your knee feels that good! That is a Blessing! I am glad your Kindle is straightening itself out too! Sounds like things are on the up and up!

I found a good deal on a car and went to look. Imagine my surprise when I came home with it! Definitely a day to remember. Needless to say, did not get much done with the house yesterday! I have to stop by the insurance people today and also it is Grandparents Day at the kids school. So I am headed there just after noon. then a quick trip to Lowes as my screen is in. Won't get the house done today, either, LOL!

Sat. is my son's birthday, so going there for Taco soup. It may be Tues. before I get back to the house! The schedule so far has kept me on track eating, I just down something healthy and I am off!

Expecting the mid 40's for the lows for the next few days, and mid 70's for the highs. Real fall weather!

Keep up the good work! Jan B) no rain till maybe Monday....
    Hi Jan
    Funny that You should mention looking at a car as My brother was looking around on the Internet seeing what that showed. The comment heard was that the Pictures and description did not match. Example It was showing a 2 door and called a 2 door and then in the description it would say, Cup holders in the rear doors. ??
    Congratulations on Finding a car You like and eating healthy too.

So far so good, the Kindle was OK this morning too.

The House will get done, don't let it bother You, I don't worry if I am slow getting something done :)
    For example I need to finish getting the ceramic tile off of the Kitchen floor so we can put something in better shape, Better shape once I get the squeaks out of it that is.

Have a Good time at Your Son's Birthday feast and at the school.

Stay Warm
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Hi!

I got tickled you were one step away from 9k! I have had that happen to me where I did not notice it, though in a much lower range.

Good thing you dressed well for the weather. It sounds like you could have been miserable other-wise. It is chilly here this morning, almost 40 degrees. I actually had to put on a wrap to feed the birds, and the pup was crazy with energy. We played with her plastic donut till I got too chilly and came in. Everyone is totally zonked out and sleeping again, except me!

I went over my calories yesterday again, but at least it was with a protein! I just got hungry around 9:30 last night, and had some leftover salmon. Still a better choice than some of the alternatives around here!

I am still a little tired from running around, so the house does not bother me as much as it probably should! One should always have a project! :)

Take care! Jan B) Monday's rain will not materialize, back to drought!

• RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    Hi
    It is 47 degrees this morning and sunny. I went walking today for 8,149 steps. The forecast high for today is in the 60s.

The Frightmare on 16th Street Haunted house a family tradition for 31 years

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_story/2414119/article-The-Frightmare-on-16th-Street-Haunted-house-a-family-tradition-for-31-years
    Tom Cannella grew up with 1950s science fiction and horror movies
    Cannella, whose home has become something of a local legend.

Kids and adults line up for almost a month before Halloween to see what he will come up with next.

"I started out small and just added something every year," Cannella said.

Most of the additions have some interactive component, such as a moving arm or characters that suddenly come alive whenever someone comes near.

"I don't let anybody into the house," he said. "But we put up barricades and let people walk by the house."

People do, often lining up to wait their turn, especially on Halloween.

The interactive elements are only part of the fun. Over the years, family members and friends have joined in what amounts to a large Halloween party by dressing up. This year, their pet dog, Odie, dressed up as a lobster, and Cannella's grandson, Brandon, dressed up as Nemo.

He's mad!!!

This year, Cannella added a mad scientist to the collection that features over 50 separate interactive items. Some of the life-sized figures are from manufacturer's catalogues, but some are Cannella's own creations, with family members supplying him with clothing and other items.

Pictures Here
    http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2013/10/the_house_at_436_kennnedy_blvd.html

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi!

I got tickled you were one step away from 9k! I have had that happen to me where I did not notice it, though in a much lower range.

Good thing you dressed well for the weather. It sounds like you could have been miserable other-wise. It is chilly here this morning, almost 40 degrees. I actually had to put on a wrap to feed the birds, and the pup was crazy with energy. We played with her plastic donut till I got too chilly and came in. Everyone is totally zonked out and sleeping again, except me!

I went over my calories yesterday again, but at least it was with a protein! I just got hungry around 9:30 last night, and had some leftover salmon. Still a better choice than some of the alternatives around here!

I am still a little tired from running around, so the house does not bother me as much as it probably should! One should always have a project! :)

Take care! Jan B) Monday's rain will not materialize, back to drought!
    Hi Jan
    We did get around a 1/4 inch of rain. I thought it was amusing to be one step away :)

It was chilly here today too. I wore a Light Longsleeve shirt over my Pocket T-Shirt and a nice warm Hoodie over that. I use the pocket to hold my iPod while walking.

As I see it the only possible problem with going over with the Salmon depends on the Sodium level and I am not sure what that might be. For example in Lox (Smoked Chinook Salmon)
    I see 132 calories for four ounces, however I also see:
    Total Fat 4.9g 8%
    Sat. Fat 1g 5%
    Cholesterol 26mg 9%
    Sodium 2260mg 94%
    Total Carbs. 0g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Protein 20.7g
    Calcium 12.4mg
    Potassium 197.8mg

I bought a Package of Hillshire Farms Luncheon meats that has Over Roasted Turkey Breast, Honey Ham and Smoked Turkey Breast all 650mg sodium and 5 slices 57g 2.11 oz at 60 calories to use as a PF in the Plans PF + SC mid-morning snack at CostCo.

I do not blame You, no sense running Yourself into the ground.
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Hi!

Great article on the fright night house! I do not think I would go there, it looks pretty creepy even in day light! We don't get trick or treaters here. We are kind of in the country and the places are a little far apart. Most people down here go to the churches or other relatively safe places now when things started to turn a little mean with the giving several years back around the country. Not at all like it was when I grew up, where we went everywhere, street after street for what seemed miles! My kids were used to being overseas, and there the stairwells got together on the posts and bases and decorated and gave candy, and lots of it!

I did not think about the sodium content of the salmon! That is a good point! I need a veggie instead!

It was a low of 48 last nite. Down right chilly. I have resisted turning on the heat. It was about 69 and 68 in the house, but warms up fast once the sun hits. I need to water or I will lose my stuff, instead or it lingering, but had not found the time or inclination.

Chester revisits the vet Monday morning, and the life calms down some, finally! Looking forward to that.

Take care, don't work too hard! :) Jan B)
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    Hi
    It is 52 degrees this morning and sunny, we did have a light rain overnight, not enough to get the ground wet under the trees:) I went walking today for 9,030 steps. The forecast high for today is in the 60s.

NEWS from Friday
    Human bones found in Wis. haunted house

http://abc7chicago.com/news/human-bones-found-in-wis-haunted-house/1566569/
    Friday, October 21, 2016 11:59AM
    GREEN BAY, Wis. --
    Haunted houses are supposed to be scary.

But, something truly unsettling was found at one in Wisconsin, WFRV-TV reports.

"This right here is where you enter into the hallway and Catacombs room," said Miranda Schutt, social media coordinator. "And then we have the full skeleton here. Upon closer look we realized those are not fake bones."

Two real human skeletons joined Halloween goers as they walked through a room lined with fake skulls.

"When we pulled the caskets out of storage that's when we realized there were skeletons in there," Schutt said.

The two 19th century coffins were donated years ago.

"We don't really know the era of the casket. We are guessing it's maybe from the 1900s, but we do know," one worker said.

And until this season, the caskets had been tucked away in the haunted house storage. That was until this year's remodel of the main haunt near Green Bay prompted Terror on the Fox staff to open up the vintage caskets for the first time.

"They are definitely medical skeletons, I mean, one skeleton is totally intact," Schutt said.

I have been adding a little treat to my daily foods since I am now working at maintenance. Yesterday I had a Extra Black Plum at lunch and mid afternoon I had a snack bag of Lays Potato Chips, 160 calories 170mg sodium and 15g carbs. I had been having a bit of a craving for something salty so those hit the spot.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi!

Great article on the fright night house! I do not think I would go there, it looks pretty creepy even in day light! We don't get trick or treaters here. We are kind of in the country and the places are a little far apart. Most people down here go to the churches or other relatively safe places now when things started to turn a little mean with the giving several years back around the country. Not at all like it was when I grew up, where we went everywhere, street after street for what seemed miles! My kids were used to being overseas, and there the stairwells got together on the posts and bases and decorated and gave candy, and lots of it!

I did not think about the sodium content of the salmon! That is a good point! I need a veggie instead!

It was a low of 48 last nite. Down right chilly. I have resisted turning on the heat. It was about 69 and 68 in the house, but warms up fast once the sun hits. I need to water or I will lose my stuff, instead or it lingering, but had not found the time or inclination.

Chester revisits the vet Monday morning, and the life calms down some, finally! Looking forward to that.

Take care, don't work too hard! :) Jan B)

Hi Jan
    I'd rather go there than in the haunted house article I posted today.

That is a interesting way of handing out treats :)

I'm in the basement right now as it is a little warmer and warming up from the heat being given off from the Desktop Computer I am using today. It is less heat being generated this year however, I switched to a 42"LED LCD TV as the display up from a 32" LCD that put out a fair amount of warmth from the fluorescent back-light and the electronics. TBH I still have it as a backup display, it is from July of 2006 and was the least expensive one I could find then for that size :) It cost me 4 times what this 42" cost this year and used a lot more electric too.

Some days Motivation is a bit lacking here too. My brother was mentioning that it looks like time to pull the rest of the garden this week.

Enjoy the Upcoming week
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Good Morning.

Still a little chilly this am. It is about 50 and damp. I do not know how that happens but we are still drought conditions, no rain but one sprinkle, the ground is dry as a bone, but the air is still humid and conditions damp!

I picked up my custom screen from Lowes, and it is black instead of white, and the length must be 10 inches longer than I ordered, and the width is about 8 inches wider. Of course I threw out my measurements. I will have to really look and find my order now. between moving stuff in the house and buying the car, I am not too sure were it is. I thought I left it in the car so when I picked the screen up, I would have it. I just dread going back with this screen, but I know I did not measure that incorrectly. Oh bother....

Today is Chester day. I felt like a heel giving May May breakfast but not Chester. He already feels somewhat replaced with May, though I try to give him extra attention. This is having all the earmarks of a bothersome day, to put it mildly and quote Eeyore, or maybe Winnie the Pooh. :|

I seem to be eating in maintenance mode myself here. That is wonderful you were able to eat a few extra things! (in spite of Chinese, which I will remind you it was not that good!)

Good job on the steps!!

How does one leave two coffins for 15 years without looking at them, or opening them?
    And it sure seems like they must know someone who remembers this transaction! LOL!

Take care! Jan B)
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    Good Morning.

Still a little chilly this am. It is about 50 and damp. I do not know how that happens but we are still drought conditions, no rain but one sprinkle, the ground is dry as a bone, but the air is still humid and conditions damp!

I picked up my custom screen from Lowes, and it is black instead of white, and the length must be 10 inches longer than I ordered, and the width is about 8 inches wider. Of course I threw out my measurements. I will have to really look and find my order now. between moving stuff in the house and buying the car, I am not too sure were it is. I thought I left it in the car so when I picked the screen up, I would have it. I just dread going back with this screen, but I know I did not measure that incorrectly. Oh bother....

Today is Chester day. I felt like a heel giving May May breakfast but not Chester. He already feels somewhat replaced with May, though I try to give him extra attention. This is having all the earmarks of a bothersome day, to put it mildly and quote Eeyore, or maybe Winnie the Pooh. :|

I seem to be eating in maintenance mode myself here. That is wonderful you were able to eat a few extra things! (in spite of Chinese, which I will remind you it was not that good!)

Good job on the steps!!

How does one leave two coffins for 15 years without looking at them, or opening them?
    And it sure seems like they must know someone who remembers this transaction! LOL!

Take care! Jan B)

Hi Jan
    I'm sorry to hear that they screwed up the order for Your screen. You have to wonder what the heck.

I do not know, that is just strange. 15 years !

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    Hi
    It is 46 degrees this morning and sunny, with a hard freeze forecast for parts of NJ Tonight. I walked today for 8,696 steps. The forecast high for today is in the 50s :(

Today's news info :)
    More Information and Pictures by following the link below.
    The ship that saved 7 during 'Perfect Storm' to be sunk off N.J.
    https://www.navytimes.com/articles/the-ship-that-saved-7-during-perfect-storm-to-be-sunk-off-nj
    The USS Zuni survived the submarine-infested waters of the Pacific during World War II as it towed torpedoed warships to safety and aided in the Battle of Iwo Jima.

A half-century later and renamed the Tamaroa, it overcame gale force winds and 40-foot waves to help save seven people off the New England coast, a rescue effort immortalized in the book and film “The Perfect Storm.”

But the Tamaroa could not conquer time.

This ship that has made so much history will soon be sunk off the southern coast of New Jersey to help expand an artificial reef that attracts both scuba divers and anglers. A decade long effort to turn the ship into a museum and memorial was derailed when the Tamaroa’s hull sprung a leak four years ago, causing significant damage to key parts of the ship.

The man who commanded the ship during the 1991 “Perfect Storm” said sinking the Tamaroa is a better outcome than being demolished for scrap metal, a common ending for old service ships.

“It’s always sad when you sink a ship, but some good will come of it,” retired Coast Guard Capt. Larry Brudnicki said. “It’s being repurposed. It’s being used. If it’s cut up, who’s going to know that their razor blade came from the Tamaroa?”

New Jersey and Delaware officials say the 205-foot ship will help expand their joint deepwater reef 25 miles south of Cape May Point by attracting large game fish and aiding the Garden State’s $1.7 billion recreational fishing industry.

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Hello!

Now is about the time I do not envy you all up there, sounds like you better dress warmly from now on!

Poor Chester had 19 teeth removed. He is on pain pills and antibiotics, but he was pretty miserable coming home yesterday and last nite. He did not eat or drink or successfully go outside till almost midnite. He is better today, and taking his pills well and eating. He is such a good dog, bless his stoic little heart.

Your article was fascinating. I had forgot the ship had served in WW2. At least it goes to a good purpose, as the Capt. said.

I was hoping to stay home today, but I will probably have to run to the store for more peanut butter for Chester's pills. I wish I would have thought about it yesterday. :)

One of the independent type news papers had an article saying that Clinton and Trump were in cahoots with each other, and Trump was nominated to lose so other very viable Rep. candidates who could beat Clinton would not be in the running. It has various clips of Trump praising the Clintons, and showing what good friends they always have been. It was interesting, and sure seems to be under that could be true category.. What a mess!

Keep up the good work and have a great day! Jan B)
  • RogerToo
    Hi Jan
    Poor Chester, that could not be fun for either of You.

Tomorrow is supposed to be colder with a freeze overnight and of course that is my day to run to the Grocery Store for Fruits and whatever.... Oh well. I will be dressed warmly and I will have a hand warmer along just in case :)

I am skeptical regarding them being in cahoots. It seems unlikely that either would trust the other as far as they could throw them.

I will say that I will be so happy when the entire election mess is behind me. It is to the point where I hate to watch the news.

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    Hi
    It is showing 42 degrees this morning and it is sunny, OTOH there was frost on the cars. I walked today for 7,995 steps. The forecast high for today is in the 50s :(
    And there is a chance of the first snow of the season in the northwest corner of the state for tomorrow when the rain moves in for the rest of us.

Today's grocery store stop was Bananas, Pears and Black Plums for me and Ground Cinnamon for my brother. He uses it in his Oatmeal and naturally the 10% discount :)

I have seen a similar sight in town while walking, When I went to take a picture the batteries in the camera were dead :( so here is a very similar image from the Internet :)
    PUgwbf.jpg

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Good Morning!

Your witch had quite the response here! I almost lost my morning coffee laughing, and the dogs thought I was crazy.

Chester is almost back to normal. I picked up Jiff's natural no stir peanut butter as it was on sale and lower sodium. I forgot how soft it is, so trying to give Chester his pills in it is a hoot. I just put the blobs in a bowl and stick the pill in because otherwise it runs and sticks to my fingers. Thank goodness he just eats it all, no sweat!

Hard to imagine you all possibly getting frost! It is back in the 60's at nite, and can still be hot in the sun during the day! I think we were in the mid 80's. Still wearing flip flops! :)

I am going to tackle the house, as soon as my caffeine kicks in! I basically just rested yesterday and was exhausted from the last few weeks. I mixed a little instant caffeinated coffee in with my regular decafe brew as I just can not get going. I almost bought the Folger's 1/2 caff, but that usually still has too much caffeine for my B/P. Drat!

I did get in 3219 steps yesterday, that was good!

Keep warm! have a good Thurs.! Jan B)