Any Shorties Out There?

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    In case You missed it, Expected Forum Downtime 5/14/16
    Link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10388428/expected-forum-downtime-5-14-16#latest

BTW with the Mowing and more yard work today I am currently at 11,000 steps :)
    Roger
    eku0 wrote: »
    Ewwww. They're still allowed to use the MSM from pork and poultry, ewwww. That makes me happy I'm not eating processed food. (The only hotdogs I would eat were the HN 97% ff!)
    Corn does count as a grain. I am off all grains. I can eat legumes/beans, nuts, sweet potatoes when I want something more substantial. I may put dairy back in...I need to test it and I think I'll test yogurt separately from cheese. I already use almond milk, so subbing out milk is no problem.
    It's sunny today here...yay! So may go for a walk in the park later after things dry out a little.
    Enjoy your day. :)

Hi Vix
    MSM is one more reason to eat all beef Hot Dogs since it is not allowed for beef, And I am sure the the Hebrew National 97% hot dogs are all good stuff.

I would have thought that some grains might have no to minimal impact on You depending on their Genetic origin? I am guessing that if grains are out so is Rice whether White or brown?

For example I can eat Nuts but have problems with Cashew Nuts from the way they are processed, Botanically speaking, cashew are seeds, not nuts.
    The seed is surrounded by a double shell containing an allergenic phenolic resin, anacardic acid, a potent skin irritant chemically related to the better-known allergenic oil urushiol which is also a toxin found in the related poison ivy. Properly roasting cashews destroys the toxin, but it must be done outdoors as the smoke (not unlike that from burning poison ivy) contains urushiol droplets which can cause severe, sometimes life-threatening, reactions by irritating the lungs. People who are allergic to cashew (or poison ivy) urushiols may cross-react to mango or pistachio which are also in the Anacardiaceae family. Some people are allergic to cashews, but cashews are a less frequent allergen than tree nuts or peanuts.[5]
    That is what I suspect to be the source of the problem as it takes a day or two for the itching to start and another couple of days to subside. Maybe the ones I was getting in the Costco Mixed Nuts were not properly roasted or maybe I was just eating to many, they are delicious. Anyway I have not had any for several years since I connected them to the itching. All the rest of the nuts in the fancy Mix nuts eaten separately had no effect.

FWIW I would hate to give up the Light & Fit Yogurt now that I have eaten it. I end up using it as the Dessert for my Lunch and Dinner.

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,348 Member
    Roger, I had a reaction to the light and fit yogurt...I think it must have been some of the additives, I am fine with Taste of Inspirations or Chobani, so far. My weight has been steady for about 3 or 4 days, and I'll eat yogurt for breakfast for 3 days and see if it has any effect. So far as any other reactions, I'm not feeling any yet. I'm also not sure about other dairy products, but I will test them out if I want to add them back into my diet. I haven't tested nuts with this diet....it was one of the things I was allowed to eat the whole time. Rice is definitely a grain and not allowed. It was my doctor who told me to cut out the grains and nightshades and I will definitely not be adding them back in. The rest I am doing on my own. A continuing experiment. I guess I never paid attention before. :blush:
    Have a good night. :)
  • eku0
    Good morning
    Roger, I had a flavored yogurt this morning and did have a mild reaction. I bought 2 flavors. I'll try the next one tomorrow. Can always go back to plain yogurt and add my own fruit to avoid some of the additives. I just read about some of the gums that are added to food...they believe they are harmless, may even be helpful, but people can have a sensitivity to one or some of them.
    I'm learning some interesting things with my experiment. :wink:
    Rainy here today.
    We're having a reception for the opening of our art show at the senior center this morning. I've never been to one before, so I'm going. Should be fun to meet the other exhibitors I haven't met yet.
    Have a great day. :)
  • RogerToo
    Roger, I had a reaction to the light and fit yogurt...I think it must have been some of the additives, I am fine with Taste of Inspirations or Chobani, so far. My weight has been steady for about 3 or 4 days, and I'll eat yogurt for breakfast for 3 days and see if it has any effect. So far as any other reactions, I'm not feeling any yet. I'm also not sure about other dairy products, but I will test them out if I want to add them back into my diet. I haven't tested nuts with this diet....it was one of the things I was allowed to eat the whole time. Rice is definitely a grain and not allowed. It was my doctor who told me to cut out the grains and nightshades and I will definitely not be adding them back in. The rest I am doing on my own. A continuing experiment. I guess I never paid attention before. :blush:
    Have a good night. :)
    Good morning
    Roger, I had a flavored yogurt this morning and did have a mild reaction. I bought 2 flavors. I'll try the next one tomorrow. Can always go back to plain yogurt and add my own fruit to avoid some of the additives. I just read about some of the gums that are added to food...they believe they are harmless, may even be helpful, but people can have a sensitivity to one or some of them.
    I'm learning some interesting things with my experiment. :wink:
    Rainy here today.
    We're having a reception for the opening of our art show at the senior center this morning. I've never been to one before, so I'm going. Should be fun to meet the other exhibitors I haven't met yet.

Hi Vix
    That sounds like a success to me that Your weight is stable. Just curious do You have a Non fruit and the one that caused a mild reaction to compare ingredients between. I though that Rice would be considered a grain as it and most grains including corn had a grass in their past and have been modified through breeding programs over the centuries.

How are You with peanuts which are closer to peas than Nuts as well as things like Pine Nuts, Sunflower
    seeds and Pumpkin Seeds. When I was growing up I used to love the salted seeds in the shell.

Enjoy the art show and have a great day, Stay Dry
    Roger
  • eku0
    So far I think I'm ok with nuts and seeds. I haven't been eating peanuts, but I think they're ok. I'll test them out one of these days. I've been eating mostly almonds and pistachios, some pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. I had some walnuts, but felt like they bogged me down a little.
    Weather is still gloomy here, just have a few errands for today. The art show was nice. I did meet some of the women from the other class, so that was good. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi Vix
    From what I have seen while walking and later on in the yard and through the windows it has been Sunny to partly cloudy at the worst today. It seems that the bad weather has stayed south of me and is supposed to stay away until at least Friday. For once NJ is doing OK.

When I do have nuts I have been tending to stay with the unsalted anymore FWIW, Probably not worth much either.

I just spent a few minutes compacting down my old NS leftovers into a fairly large Rubbermaid container and that gives me enough room to Eliminate One BBB so that I have only one left and it only has two layers of food in it. IE 2/3 full. Of course the freezer is pretty full as is the Cupboard I keep the ready to grab and use Shelf Stable foods in. I'll tame this beast yet :)

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
  • eku0
    I usually buy the raw almonds, but my husband likes the salted pistachios, so we get those. Without all the processed food, a few nuts with salt doesn't put me over the salt limit.
    I'm starting to get cravings for things I've eliminated. I'd really like a glass of wine. I think I'll add that in on Friday. :)
    Have a good night.
  • RogerToo
    edited May 2016
    Hi Vix
    I needed somethings from Amazon so I added some protein shakes, thanks for the link. I ended up ordering these, Olympian Labs Pea Protein Powder, Natural Mixed Berry
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PGWAGCO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and Now Sports Pea Protein Supplement, Vanilla Toffee, 2 Pound
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESJE8JI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    as well as Olympian Labs Vanilla Pea Protein
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WTC5IW/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and Olympian Lab Pea Protein, Chocolate
    Olympian Lab Pea Protein, Chocolate, 784-Grams
    The last two got me over the $ amount for free shipping :)

Good Luck with the Wine I would look at the ingredients, I believe some have additives?
    Roger
  • eku0
    Cool. Let me know what you think of the Now Sports Pea Protein. I was looking at that one too, I was going for the least amount of additives. I noticed they added some sort of chicory to the Olympian labs formula. Haven't tried it yet, still have my old one to use up. I generally don't get the flavored ones, other than vanilla because I like to add fruit to them. :)
    As far as additives....that's going to take me a while to figure out because there are so many and they're added to just about everything that's packaged. I am not eating much packaged or processed food at the moment. But you're right. I will check the wine! :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi Vix
    I hope the new formulation is good too, The reviews on Amazon were not as positive for the new formula. I got the one Natural Mixed Berry and the Vanilla Toffee to have a large variety to work with add in the NS Coffee protein shake mix and if the all work out I will be able to select from 5 flavors. I was unhappy when NS dropped the Strawberry flavor and added a Higher priced Chocolate flavor NutriCrush™ Chocolate Shake - 7 pack is $19.99 and their new TurboShake Chocolate and Vanilla - 28 pack is $79.98 versus $12.99 for the Protein Shakes 7 pack. They also seem to have killed off the Craving Crusher shakes which were cheaper, I'm sensing a trend here :(

Good Luck with the wine
    Roger
  • eku0
    edited May 2016
    I like the vanilla with frozen blueberries or some frozen banana. Sometimes I add some chia seeds, but they tend to stick on my teeth....so have to clean my teeth after those shakes! Well, at least these are a lot less expensive!
    I'm going to get more antibiotics today....my gum started to hurt and my face started to swell a little....of couse it's my dentist's day off, but he called me back and put in a prescription for me. Anyhow, I will postpone the wine til I am off antibiotics. I'll be able to call Monday a.m. and get in to see him then.
  • RogerToo
    Hi Vix
    I use Cold water and when I use Bananas in the Vanilla shakes it is to use them up as they are getting very ripe and starting to go Mushy which is not how I like to eat them. The other use for them when they get that way is my Brother uses them in Banana Bread or Chocolate Banana Bread.

Good Luck with the Dentist and I hope the Antibiotics hold You over until Monday
    Roger
  • eku0
    Thanks, Roger.
    I usually cut the bananas up in bite size pieces and freeze them when they start to get too ripe. I use the frozen bananas in my shakes or just eat them as a snack. It's sort of like banana flavored ice cream. :)
    I'm glad the dentist was able to give me a prescription. This doesn't seem to be getting better yet, hopefully will tide me through til Monday.
  • RogerToo
    edited May 2016
    Hi Vix
    I tend to not put frozen things in the blender cup as I use a immersion blender and I'm not sure how well it would handle ice or frozen Bananas. I do put them in the refrigerator when they get really ripe to hold them and then since I use bottled water from there the shake becomes nice and cold and thick.

Good Luck Tomorrow
    Roger

P.S. Avoiding having lots of ripe bananas is why I have shifted to buying them 2 or 3 times a week while I am walking.
  • dia_shewolf
    dia_shewolf Posts: 177 Member
    *peeks in and hugs ya both* hiya :) hope things are well with you (and anyone else still popping by). life's been ubberly busy, nothing bad... just lots of things and not enough time to do them all :) kid graduates this Dec from college and lots of loose ends to tie up before he comes home and what not :)

i saw the scale is trending down for you Vix:) YAY! :)

Roger - shooting you a private message :)

i'll try and get here once a week if nothing else. miss you!!!! :)

~kel
  • RogerToo
    Hi Kel
    Nice to hear from You. As I always say, "Real Comes First" That definitely means Family.

I do not seem to have the free time I expected to have either.

Congratulations on the Upcoming Graduation.
    I have replied three times to Your PM, I managed to delete the page the first time :(

Good Luck
    Roger
  • eku0
    Roger, I use an immersion blender too...Cuisinart...it's sturdy. :)
    Kel!!! Nice to see you. Congrats on your son's graduation. That's wonderful. :) Sorry you're so busy. We miss you around here. Glad it's all good.
    Thanks....scale is moving, even if ever so slowly! :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi Vix
    That is the brand of Kitchen scale and Immersion Blender I use too. I like the way the Power unit comes off of the Blending part to make it easier to clean too.

Good Luck with the scale, Speed is not as important as the proper trend direction.
    Roger
  • eku0
    Hi Roger, at this point mostly trying to get healthy. Need to lose at least 15 more pounds, but 25-30 would be better. Less stress on the joints. My body seems really resistant to weight loss, but I think I can ease it down slowly, by eating more healthfully and keeping up with the exercise. I think if I only have treats on special occasions, that will help a lot. :) I've been really vigilant since 4/22...today makes 25 days. :)

• RogerToo
    Hi Vix
    I decided earlier this year to take it easy as I was at a decent place as far as weight goes.

Could I stand to lose a little more, sure, Not a lot and I think the getting out and walking has helped even though I have added extra calories back in, I seem to be slowly drifting downwards in weight.

I completely agree, less weight equals less wear and tear (Stress) on the Hips, Knees, Ankles, Feet and to a lesser extent the back.

Keep up the Good Work
    Roger