• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,679 Member
    Options
    mtow3u55ks79.png
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Good morning;
    Ed-love the pictures! I would go just to people watch and see all the costumes!
    Irene-I am glad Annie is doing a little better. I know how stressful it can be when your baby is sick. Hugs!
    Hi Val-you must be working a lot. I hope you get caught up soon. Are you feeling any better?
    Jan-good luck at the dr. If you don't get anything else done, there is always tomorrow. ;)
    Vix-Glad you had a nice visit with your sister and that the wedding was a success.
    Today looks to be a great day, high temp. of 74 and sunny. I plan on doing some yard work,
    laundry, clean bathrooms and wash the kitchen floor. I am trying to get as much done, so when I am on vacation next week I can hopefully relax and do some fun things and not chores.
    Have a great day!
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    good morning, well I can't get Annie to take her meds does any one have ideas I was putting it in chicken but she doesn't want any thing to do with it
  • parityanimal
    edited September 2019
    Options
    good morning, well I can't get Annie to take her meds does any one have ideas I was putting it in chicken but she doesn't want any thing to do with it

The vet may be able to get you a "pill popper" for pills, or a syringe (for liquids) to force the meds to the back of the throat, and help you with how to rub the throat to induce swallowing. I always hated doing that to my dogs, when I had dogs (hate it MORE now with cats, but that's another story) but sometimes it is the only way. I always offered a treat after, just as Lilo gets treats after her I give her her Tuesday shot.

You COULD try "pill pocket" treats, also available from the vet, but my pets always just eat around the pill and spit it out.

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy. It's thrilling Thursday! Another hot one here with no chance of rain. I need to get out for some blood drawing and lab work, so it's off to the vampires just before lunch. I might pick up a grocery item or two, and maybe lunch, while out.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Irene, I have used peanut butter with the greatest success. I also hide it in the cheese sticks (cheddar, lol) as you can really squish it in there as opposed to slices which can separate easier.. though that works too. When May eats goodies or her food I always say eat your goody or breakfast. Sometimes I do the same sing song voice and she will eat the pill if left.. :)<3
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,164 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    Irene, it's very hard to get pets to take pills....I used to try to throw it to the back of their throat, then hold their mouth closed and massage their neck...they still sometimes managed to spit it out. Good luck, and I hope Annie's feeling better soon.
    Good luck with your lab tests, Ed.
    Jan, I thought you weren't supposed to give peanut butter to pets! Although it works great in mouse traps.
    Jo, I hope you get to take a break on vacation....seems like you're always busy keeping up your house when you have time off!
    Val, hope you're feeling better.
    I went to painting class this morning and PT for my ankle this afternoon. Need to think about my next projects for painting class and stained glass class.
    It cooled off a little today. We had a pretty big sun shower yesterday....hadn't seen that for a long time.
    Happy Thursday, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning, well Annie finally eat yesterday around 4 pm she did miss one dose. I did go out and buy a syringe but it didn't come to that. Ed how I found out my husband googled it . But thanks for the advise. Vix my dog loves peanut butter never heard of animals not eating peanut butter. Val in the last 13 years we have tried everything but the chicken seems to work the best she has always been a picky eater. Jo enjoy your vacation time off is always nice. Vix have you decided what you are going to paint yet? Hi val
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy. It's fantastic Friday! Still hot here, but not quite as hot as yesterday. Again, no chance of rain. I am having coffee (and maybe lunch) out with a friend today, and might pick up those grocery items I didn't stop for yesterday.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    I’m still kickin’! Work is trying to kill me. The pred made me really sick. I hadn’t had a day off since getting back from ireland. So I took today! Did laundry, dishes, car inspection, car registration...currently waiting at DMV to get “Real ID” to prove citizenship. Then returns at Kohl’s, TMobile because they owe me $250. Then start organizing and cleaning house.
    I hired a private trainer to help Boudreaux with his fear of strangers. At home, he’s perfect but when people look at him he hides between my legs (he’s a tall slender 60# greyhound), and cries. If they try to pet him, he acts like they want to steal him and ramps up the crying. I hate seeing him so upset and stressed. Hopefully she can help. Once he improves with that, I’ll take him to obedience school.
    Oscar (14 yo mastiff/lab) is declining. Had 4 very bad days...was wondering if it was time. Then had 2 pretty decent days! Taking it one day at a time. ☹️
  • eku0
    Options
    Hi all.
    Val, glad you're feeling better....you sure pack a lot into your days.
    Ed, have fun out to lunch. It's cooler here today...so far high 60s...very nice.
    Irene, glad Annie's doing better.
    Hi Jo and Val.
    I went to the chiropractor this morning. I asked him to send me some exercises for my achy bits. He said he'll send a bunch for me to choose from. Nice. Also stopped at Staples and dropped off a stained glass pattern I wanted larger, so they're making some copies for me. No other specific plans for today.
    Happy Friday, everyone. Yay! Weekend! :)
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Hi!
    Val, you are a dynamo! But I knew that! Bless your heart..sometimes you just have to make time! So sorry about Oscar. Sometimes just one day at a time it is a rough up and down. i know you will decide well for his sake. We stress sometimes more than they do. For them the inevitable is instinct controlled.. Does not make it easy on us though.. <3
    Ed, hope you enjoy your time out! You sound like me..putting off groceries for a better day, lol..
    Irene, I had never heard of the dogs not being able to have peanut butter either, and the vets know I do that. I know with the artificial sweeteners it is very toxic so you may need to be careful of these products as they come out, replacing regular products. Vix, going to check that out! Allergies maybe?
    take care all! Jan
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    Ed-I hope the vampires didn't take too much blood. ;)
    Irene-I know it sounds cruel , but I just open their mouth and shove the pill as far as I can and then hold the mouth closed and massage the neck to get them to swallow. Sophie's meds are liquid and she still manages to spit some of it out.
    Val-I day off now and then is important to regroup. It still sounds like you are doing at lot.
    I think you need a day just to do nothing or something you really enjoy. :) Sorry about Oscar.
    You will know when it is time.
    Vix-I hope the exercises help. I know when I do yoga stretches they seem to help.
    Hi Jan-hope you are doing well.
    It is raining and very windy here. So postponing some yard until tomorrow. Hubby is happy. :)
    I have 10 days off. I am sure I will find plenty to do around the house.
    Hubby and I have been married 44 years today. My son's anniversary is also today, 7 years.
    Have a fantastic day. :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy. It's sweltering Saturday! I might need to get out for a bit on this hot morning, but not for much.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Jo!!! Happy Anniversary to you both! (We'll catch up with you in December ;) )
    https%3A%2F%2Fak.imgag.com%2Fproduct%2Fflash%2F3347002%2Fmaster.jpg
    Enjoy your time off!
    It's sunny and supposed to go up to 80 today. Sounds like it's going to be a great day to go outside and enjoy the day.
    Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend! :)
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning , happy anniversary Jo are you going to do anything special. So cool that your son's anniversary the same as yours .Val I am sorry Oscar is having it hard. Jan I hope you can find help for may poor thing sounds scared. Annie does have her good days since I bought the syringe I haven't had to use it she has been taking it with her chicken. I do know about the artificial sugar so I do watch what I give her. It did get windy here and I thought it was going to rain we got a few drops that was it. Ed enjoy your lunch. Vix hoping the exercises help take care every one
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Some peanut butter contains xylitol which is the artificial sweetener that is highly toxic to dogs.
    Boudreaux and I went for a 3-mile hike with our ladirs group.
    Joanne- happy anniversary! 10 days off...enjoy.
    Irene - glad that Annie is taking her medicine. Oscar insists on pill pockets. If i use anything else, he always spits the pills out.
    Vix - enjoy your nice weather. Still really hot in San Antonio. I’m looking forward to cooler weather.
    Ed- i love all the pics. Especially your gull Obi Wan! I’m a big Star Wars fan.
    Jan - i don’t think I’ll ever catch up with life. How is May May doing with the doggie door? Sometimes Oscar can’t get through and gets stuck outside. I worry because it’s over 100 degrees every afternoon. I don’t know why he gets stuck, but he cries and I come open the big door for him. I rhink it is the pain in his joints. He’s on 9 Tramadol daily and still really hurting. And the price jumped from $23 to $76 dollars.
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Val, I just do not worry too much about the doggie door. It must hurt her leg. She is limping some on her other leg that was not fixed. I probably will have to take her in and try resting it and giving Tramadol. But like you said, expensive. There is a good chance she may need surgery again..another 4000 dollars and almost 3 months recovery time. It was awful the first time. The cone the worst, and hand walking always for 3 mos. not pleasant! Glad you got to walk with your group!!
    Happy Anniversary Jo!! That was so nice of you to have it rain so your hubby did not have to do the lawn near to the anniversary!! :D Have a wonderful 10 days!!
    Irene it is so funny how different these dogs handle things. Are cats easier, Jo? Ed sorry about the heat! I sure sympathize. Our next 3 days are 100 and 101 degrees, without the humidity! My water bill.. :/ Vix, enjoy the weather and the weekend..sounds great!!
    I am off to the store. Our small group combined with the newcomers group for this Sunday so need to buy some things. I have done so much better this week. Of course I am taking the SAME weight off...but at least it is off!!
    Sundays seem like sabotage days!! Discipline..apparently I need more of it!!
    Have a wonderful week end!! <3
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    I walked almost 8 miles today. Boudreaux met with our trainer today, that went very well...we start classes tomorrow. Also going to the movies tomorrow with my ladies hiking group. Happy Sunday to all!
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning, wow val the walk sounds nice. We do take Annie for a morning walk but not like we use too. We just go maybe like 40 minutes we use to go for about an hour an a half. We did try pill pocket but she kept spitting the pill out so I just keep making chicken for her, she really likes the grilled chicken from ns . So when I run out of chicken I just give her a ns one. So glad I get them on sale at 50 %off. Our weather here is nice it was like 61 this morning . It is time to get clothes out for fall . Jan I am so impressed you do so much with your church. So glad your work was better this week. So jo any big plans for your time off? I always enjoyed the time off when I would have a stay vacation no plans it was always so relaxing. jan good luck with the classes. Hi vix and ed