Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Car needed new starter and battery (2016 vehicle!). Work is just too much. Boudreaux did great in his training class last night. Teacher and other students commented on how well he was doing. πŸŽ“Graduation is Sunday. He and i had a fun and challenging hike Saturday...steep, lots of tree roots and boulders. It’d be easier if i got rid of sone excess weight. πŸ€”
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    good morning, well it looks like we are going back to summer going to be warm here for a couple of days. Val glad you got your car fixed. Wow Boudreaux is graduating congrats he is doing so good. Vix hope your grandson is feeling better Hi Ed ,Jo ,Jan and pirate
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,164 Member
    Options
    Good morning.
    Running late...off to stained glass, clay, and PT today.
    Happy Tuesday! :)
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,679 Member
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Not a lot on the agenda today, but maybe some light grocery shopping.

One of our sugar gliders, Bonnie, died suddenly yesterday. She was active, as normal, the prior night, and ate all of her food, but we found her last night, sitting in one of the places in her cage that she often sat, but lifeless. We think perhaps she had a heart attack. As best we could tell, it was quick and she couldn't have suffered much.

She was the friendliest of the two, and enjoyed human interaction. Clyde, her mate, will be very lonely without her and I am not sure what we can do about that, as we don't think we really want to bring a new sugar glider in, as it might be terrified by the cats, even though the cats can't really get into the cage.

Bonnie, 5 years or so ago.

xq77cagg0vec.png

• Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!
    A friend came to help me in the yard last Friday. She is the energizer bunny. I did about 1/3 the work while she did 2/3rds. I have an acre and a half. So we worked! We were outside about 4 hours in the 100 degree heat. I finally came in, and she stayed out another 20 minutes or so. She has been after me to let her help, so I did. Monday we took some items to the metal scrapper as she has a truck, and a few things to take. That was fun and interesting. I had an old broken grill and rusted patio furniture from 20 years ago. I am so sore I can barely walk. I did treat her to chicken salad with grapes and almonds in it, sliced tomatoes and a low carb brownie fudgesicle (yasso?) the first day. We stopped at a real good BBQ place Monday and had the best baked beans, pulled pork and fried green tomatoes..I work you to death, but feed you well!! :#
    I truly can barely walk today. I cleaned extra to have her over and I have been dragging hoses to save my trees and shrubs and sprinkling. Outdoor animals are ecstatic. We broke a 125 year old no rainfall record, and broke heat records all week. Near 100 to 97 degrees for days. We may get rain next week.
    Finally got my thyroid US back. I have a nodule on the right side of my thyroid and they want a biopsy. They usually are not cancer, so that is good. They are calling me back with all the info and making me my appt. Always something!
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Morning again!
    Posted on the wrong page, and did not refer to the last posts.. Ed, so very sorry about Bonnie. She was beautiful. Poor Clyde. Are these squirrels?
    Val, sorry about the car expense! As you said, glad you were not stuck somewhere! Congrats to Boudreaux! Give him a big kiss from me!! Congrats to you too for that walk!!
    Irene, glad you are back safely! You are a "little" person!! Congrats to you too!!
    Vix, hope your grandson feels better very soon! New phones..still getting use to mine, Jo!!
    Pirate, hope to hear from you!
    Have a great day!! <3
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Ed, so very sorry about Bonnie. She was beautiful. Poor Clyde. Are these squirrels?

More like flying (gliding anyway) possums about the size of a chipmunk. They are marsupials from somewhere down under.
  • eku0
    Options
    Aw, sorry about Bonnie, Ed...always hard to lose a pet. I never knew people kept them as pets.
    Jan, so nice of your friend to help with your yard, hope you start feeling better...maybe a nice hot soak!
    Val, glad your car is fixed.
    Irene, congrats on getting back into your size 6!
    Hi Jo and Pirate.
    Long day for me today. Sunny and hot through tomorrow.
    Have a good evening everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning, Ed sorry about Bonnie . Jan it must feel good to have all that work done now that is an awesome friend . Sorry you are sore hope you are feeling better today. Well the deck is starting to look like a deck just wish it was finished already . Hopefully another week and it will be done. thanks Vix and Jan I only have a few more pounds I believe it is because I am doing my treadmill everyday . Hi jo and pirate
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Hi All.
    Ed- sorry about Bonnie but glad she didn’t suffer.
    Jan - congratulations on all that work. Hurray for your friend!
    Irene - so happy for you with your consistency with the treadmill and the successful weight loss.
    Vix - good luck with your long day...hope all goes smoothly.
    Joanne & Pirate - hope you are well.

I’m Drowning with work. Went hiking with Boudreaux and the ladies. Teeth cleaned - No cavities!8jwibbi2w8ed.jpeg
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Another hot, dry one here. I don't think there is anything critical I need to get out for. Still having some trouble processing Bonnie's death. It was so sudden.

As this left Clyde without his mate, and sugar gliders do not do well alone, being social creatures, who generally need another sugar glider or colony, we feel we have three options.

One is to re-home Clyde, though we love him and don't want to give him up, and don't really believe anyone else can take care of him as well as we try to, though I suspect our disbelief is rooted in simply the fact that we don't want to give him up.

Another is to just try to give him more of our attention when he is awake and active, and hope for the best. The problem is that sugar gliders are largely nocturnal and we humans are not, and it would mean spending more time with a hand in the cage, with a chance that Clyde might accidentally escape and be killed by the cats.

We really don't think that escape is likely, as Clyde is well aware of the cats and is not likely to want to escape the safety of the cage. So the major worry here is whether keeping him alone might lead to a fairly rapid decline in his health, mental and/or physical.

And, of course, if we spend more time at the cage, the cats may become more interested in finding ways to get closer to Clyde. Orion and Kiara have always been very interested in the sugar gliders, and sometimes try to get at them. They really can't, but that doesn't stop them from sometimes terrifying Clyde. Bonnie seemed to learn early on that they couldn't really get her and she was pretty fearless, in fact to the extent we worried some that a cat might succeed in clawing her, if she got too close to certain corners, though that never happened. She wasn't in one of those corners when she died, and was completely unmarked, externally.

We are starting to look into the third option, which would be to adopt another sugar glider as a new companion for Clyde. I think, as he would do better with another companion, that we, as good pet parents, owe it to him to find another one, as we probably can't bring ourselves to re-home Clyde. We have to do what's best for him.

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Good luck with your solution, Ed. Hope you get lucky.
    Val, it's really great that you have your hiking mates. Getting out in nature and being with friends are both wonderful stress relievers.
    Hi Irene. Great that you're getting so thin! WTG!
    Hi Jo, hope you're not working too hard.
    What's up Pirate?
    I'm off to a massage in a few minutes. Yay!
    Have a wonderful Wednesday! :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! Another hot one here, but I may have to go out for a few things. We are down to two eggs, so unless some hens miraculously appear in the yard, and lay us a bunch, we will be out later today. LOL.

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• Buttons61
    Options
    Good morning!!
    Ed, sounds to me like you will make a great choice with Clyde. Sure is tough. Vix, enjoy that massage! I shopped and watered yesterday and did a few little things. Today I am going to lunch with a friend. Then ..watering!! We may get a little rain next week. It was 101 yesterday or so and broke records from when records started..like 1879 or close to there. Wow!! Guess a lot of cities did too. I imagine Val and Ed are feeling it too? Hi to Irene and Jo, and Pirate. Hope all is well!! Be safe all..stay cool!! <3
  • eku0
    Options
    Hi all.
    I really needed the massage yesterday, I was so stiff and achy. Neck and shoulders were extremely tight. I'd be a mess without the massages.
    Went to painting class today. Spent most of the time hanging new paintings. Have a PT appointment this afternoon.
    Ed and Jan, it cooled off a little here today (into the 70s), and is very overcast. Going to remain with highs in the 60s and 70s in the 10 day forecast. Fine with me.
    Jan, enjoy lunch with your friend.
    Hi Val, Irene, Jo, and Pirate.
    Happy Thursday, everyone. :)
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon;
    Ed-sorry about Bonnie. Good luck making your decision.
    Val-glad your car is fixed and congratulations to Boudreaux.
    Jan-what a nice friend you have. I hope you enjoyed your lunch today.
    Vix-I hope your grandson feels better soon.
    Irene-WTG on size six. Your are doing great with your weight loss.
    Hi Pirate.
    I feel bad posting about my cool temperature, 52 degrees when you all are having such hot weather still.
    I have poison ivy all over my left arm and a few spots on both legs and right arm. I have never been this itchy in my life. I should buy stock in calamine lotion. :p
    I also came down with hubby's cold. This hasn't stopped me, I a still plugging along.
    Yesterday I got a hair cut and color.
    Enjoy your evening. :)
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning every one. Yesterday it rained and it was nice of course no work was done on my deck I can not wait until it is done it is taking so long . Today we take Annie back to the cardiologists , hoping for some good news. take care everyone
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's fantastic Friday! Air quality alert here, so outdoor time must be limited. I might get out, briefly, for a couple of items.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning all.
    Thanks, Jo, my grandson is doing better, back at daycare. We stopped by to see them last night. He's such a sweetie. It's gotten cooler here too. High of 70 expected here today, in the 60s tomorrow. Sorry about your poison ivy and the cold! Poor Jo! Hope you feel better soon!
    Irene, hope Annie's ok, and your deck gets done to enjoy the Fall weather.
    Ed, are all these temperature and air quality issues usual for your area? Hope you get some Autumn weather....it's my favorite.
    Off to the chiropractor this morning and run a few errands. Going to spend some time enjoying the day.
    Happy Friday, everyone. :)
  • Buttons61
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi all!
    Back to yard and housework! We may get rain on Monday, just a little.. :) Finally got my results from US of my thyroid. I have a nodule on it, so I am going to an ENT Dr. for a biopsy. Hopefully it will not be much of a problem. Vix, sounds like you have a couple of great days going! Irene, you too! I think the Dr. will be pleased with Annie. Fall is my favorite too, though Al. fall is not so robust as many places, lol...Still want cider and apples and pumpkin and winter squash.
    Hi to hardworking Val and Jo. Sorry for the ivey and cold, Jo. I always feel I should have invested in chloraseptic!!
    Hi Pirate!! Hope you come back!! Enjoy the weekend all!! <3