Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,326 Member
    I placed a large, beginning of the month, grocery order at Kroger. Hopefully, they will not have to sub (or omit) much.

If I find I still need a few things, I may make a Lidl run later this morning or afternoon, or place a separate order from Whole Foods or Amazon Fresh.

One advantage, at least, of living near a large metropolitan city, is that I have multiple options for that!

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)
  • parityanimal
    I got out to PetSmart for cat supplies for the month, then Lidl for a few grocery items, and then a stop at the post office to check our PO box. Now I am home for the day, and expecting my Kroger delivery in a few minutes. Only two omitted items, and two substituted item so it looks good so far!
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! It's a cold 31 degrees out there (feels like 20) and only supposed to get to 43 degrees for the high. It is supposed to be sunny, though windy, so I expect that 43 will feel like it's colder, thanks to the wind.

And it's groundhog day.

I may get some house cleaning done today.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,371 Member
    Good morning.
    Great family photo, Ed...wow...so cool to have so many brothers and sisters. Your Mom is cute. It's also nice that you make your own bread, sounds delicious.
    No shadow for our groundhog this a.m., although they said PA Phil saw his.
    I didn't sleep well last night, so I've been up since the wee hours. I was reading and then just couldn't put the book down til I finished.
    It started snowing again this a.m. around 6, but seems to have stopped now. It's currently 31 with a high of 33 expected today. I always have things to do around the house...will see what catches my attention today.
    Stay warm and healthy, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    I got out to Kroger for a few things I forgot to order, and to see if there were any manager specials in the meat, seafood, or poultry bins that looked good to me, but there weren't. There were some sketchy looking jumbo shrimp, some catfish, and some tilapia but I am not in the mood for either of those fish, and rarely buy shrimp at all, much less when it's sketchy looking. I do like shrimp, but it's usually just not in the cards for me due to price.

When I came out, the wind had really picked up and I thought I and my tiny cart of groceries were going to be blown away or possibly frozen in place. That wind was COLD!

I did, of course, manage to get my groceries into the car, and then home, and put away. Now it's about time to consider lunch options.

• parityanimal
    Taco Tuesday dinner was vegetarian taco salad, put together by Eduardo. It was very filling and tasty.
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Good morning;
    Ed-you food always looks so good. The bread was amazing. Good luck with the new doctor.
    Nice family photo. I am the youngest of 8. You don't see many large families anymore these days.
    Vix-Sorry about your hip. I do hope the injections are helping.
    Irene-I hope you are feeling better every day.
    Jan-How was the quail? I can't recall ever having eaten it.
    Well last week I had to have the septic tank pumped. I was doing a wash and the water backed up into the downstairs toilet and I had quite a flood, luckily the water was from the washing machine, so it was clean. I called hubby at work all in a panic. I got the water shut off and found the shop vac and cleaned up the mess. He came home from work and called the septic company and by noon all was well.
    We had about 4-6 in.of snow before it turned to rain, which made for heavy snow.
    We didn't get a delivery at work yesterday, so I only worked for 4 hours and no delivery today, so I am home. Hopefully we will be back to normal tomorrow.
    Have a great day and stay warm! :)
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! It's 27 cold degrees out there (feels like 19) with clear skies. The forecast for today is clear and cold, with a high of only 47.

I have already started building the shopping list again. That is one of those never ending tasks. But of course there's nothing critical on it yet, nor is there enough to consider a grocery trip or delivery order.

Crispy rice cereal can wait. There are other cereals up there and J can eat them. I don't know what started this crispy rice binge lately anyway. It's usually more shredded wheat biscuits or bran flakes.

Speaking of bran flakes, I remember the NutriSystem bran flakes being one of my favorite breakfasts. I would often add one of those ultra tiny boxes of raisins to make my own raisin bran. I still miss some of my favorite NS foods, maybe mostly for the convenience, but after a few years it became apparent that I could generally make my own food that tasted better, and still fit my nutritional needs, for a lot less money than I was paying for the plan at the time.

Some items I never did really care that much for anyway, and by the time I jazzed them up, following the guidelines, I might as well have been cooking from scratch! And when they kept revamping the menu and then dropped, or changed, a good number of my favorites, it was definitely time to go, and spend my money on more groceries and ingredients anyway.

I think I heard the garbage pickup but don't know if I want to go down and roll the bin back up yet, in this cold. The recycle truck usually doesn't come until afternoon, so that bin won't be ready to roll back up yet anyway. I think I will wait until after I feed the cats in a while. It should be a bit warmer.

Perhaps a bit of house cleaning today.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Jo, good to hear from you! Wow! You have a lot of siblings also...how great is that! I only had 1 brother and 1 sister, and am down to just my sister out west. Sorry about your septic tank and the mess. Our old house had a septic tank, luckily it never got backed up, but I think it did develop a leak and we had to replace it before we moved. We're on city water and sewer now. We had snow and some frozen rain on and off since Sunday...still a little bit going on, but not much accumulation, maybe about 6 inches altogether. Enjoy your day off.
    Ed, I usually jot things down on a grocery list when I think of them, else I forget. I liked the simplicity of popping a NS meal in the microwave. But I didn't really like having to add protein or veggies, felt like I might as well make it myself. When I got dietary restrictions about processed food, that was my push to stop getting it.
    It's currently 33, still overcast with a high of 37 expected today. I'm just back from the library.
    Have a good day, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    Well, Wednesday dinner was two separate dinners. I had tuna casserole, and J had spicy egg and veggie fried rice. And we'll both be having tonight's dinner for lunch tomorrow too, as I will get three more servings out of the casserole, and I made two large servings of the fried rice.

bsvra1cz3n2r.png

oan1t7x1e4r7.png

j5sdsehxouvm.png
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday. It's a cold, partly sunny, 27 degrees out there but it looks like there will be a warming trend today, with a high around 52, and a fairly warm overnight temperature tonight. It is expected to be overcast most of the day.

Breakfast was sausage links and steel cut oatmeal with blueberries and cream.

I am running the dishwasher now. I may do a bit more house cleaning today. Like grocery shopping, that never ends, does it?

• eku0
    Good morning.
    The meals look great, as always, Ed.
    I did some cleaning yesterday and finished up the 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle I was working on.
    I've been trying to read up on some medical information for my hip...boy is that scary, and depressing...need a break from that.
    Finally, a sunny day! Yay! It's 31 with a high of 43 expected today. That's better.
    Have a good day, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    Thursday dinner for me was the last of the tuna casserole. For J I baked some potato crispy dippers, and Eduardo made spicy suffering succotash.

I can eat the leftover succotash tomorrow with some baked chicken, since I have some that is conveniently thawed up for cooking tomorrow for lunch, if not breakfast as well.

akn22uzdcyqc.png
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's fantastic Friday! It's a chilly 45 out there now, under partly sunny skies. It should remain cool all day, with those same partly sunny skies, with almost no chance of rain.

I have my chicken baking, so breakfast will be a bit late. But lunch will be heat and eat so there's that!

I may do a bit more housecleaning today. I did the master bath shower yesterday. That's always about as much fun as herding cats.

• parityanimal
    Update: It was worth the wait for baked chicken with suffering succotash on the side, for breakfast. And the other plate (I just baked two thighs, in the toaster oven) is in the refrigerator for a heat and eat lunch.

Funny thing about that toaster oven. It's our third toaster oven. When I bought the first one, on sale for $14.99 at Walgreen's, it was on a whim. I really thought that it had a good chance of ending up collecting dust and taking up space, as some other small appliances did, and end up at Goodwill or some other thrift store.

But instead, I used it a lot. It was perfect for cooking smaller items, for just a meal or two, and I used that one until I wore it out. I bought another, more expensive one, with a longer timer and several settings. And we used that one until it was worn out. So now we are on our third and the fourth may loom on the horizon, but that is not needed just yet.

When I bought my first slow cooker, a one quart off brand, for $10 at Walgreen's, I had the same thought. And now I have several slow cookers, and use most of them often enough to justify the space easily. I still use that small one for making beans for J when I am using a larger one to make ham and beans for myself.

But my tea mug is empty so I need to take care of that. Later gators!

• eku0
    Good morning.
    My MIL always had a toaster oven, never a microwave. I've never had a toaster oven, but we do have a slow cooker and an insta-pot, which get used frequently. I use the microwave all the time. I had never used a pressure cooker before, but really like the speed and versatility of the insta-pot.
    Haha...it was one of the cartoon characters that used to say suffering succotash all the time, I don't remember which one, but it used to make me laugh.
    Warmer and sunshiny here today. It's currently 43 with a high of 49 today....balmy...will enjoy it before it cools off again tomorrow. It'll be down in the freezing zone by Wednesday.
    Have a good day, everyone. Stay safe and healthy.
  • parityanimal
    You want to see my bloomers?

This year both my Lenten Rose (Hellebores) are blooming already, and one Crocus, so far.

ls6p2mpbckz6.png

2kkdyokncjvp.png

6cvhvzauqbig.png

• parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday!

It's a chilly 29 out there now, with an expected high of 48 and a 96% chance of rain, but not in the morning. The rain should move in this afternoon and overnight.

I need to take J's car for a run sometime over the weekend.

Maybe a little house cleaning for today.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Nice flowers, Ed. We had some shoots coming up before the snow, looked like daffodil, but not sure what's out there now. We usually get some crocus in February, but I haven't seen them yet. My indoor Christmas cactus which usually blooms for Thanksgiving is having a second round with a few extra blooms now, and my orchid has some buds on it...they take a while to open.
    I'm kind of tired and have no special plans for today. I did open a new jigsaw puzzle yesterday, maybe start on that.
    It's currently 33 and kind of sunny, probably getting cloudy later with a high of 46. There's supposed to be more snow overnight into tomorrow morning.
    Have a good weekend, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    Yay! I got J's car out for a spin, put some gas in it, and shopped Kroger to check out the Manager's Special meat bin.

And I scored! I got two different ready to cook, large, pre-seasoned beef patties, one with jalapeño jack cheese, the other with bacon & Cheddar, one small package of beef cubed steak, that I can turn into some nice, smothered steak for a couple of meals, and a nice chunk of bottom round roast that I can turn into pot roast for a few meals, all with a substantial mark down.

The beef patty with jalapeño jack is cooking right now for my lunch today, and the bottom round is good for a few days, so is waiting in the refrigerator to be turned into pot roast, probably Wednesday, for me. The cubed steak and the other beef patty are chilling in the deep freeze for now.

For Saturday dinner tonight, the plan is Eduardo's home made variation on the Medieval Times vegan bean stew. That is started in my medium sized Crock Pot. I will roast some potato chunks and make some brown rice later to go in the bowls with it, to complete that.

I also got more salad, so we can have salad on the side, or before, our stew bowls. I just have to remember to make some salad dressing at some point this afternoon.

I would say I had a very successful trip in J's car today.

4r0orn2a3ga2.png