Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,327 Member
    edited February 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's soggy Saturday! Looks like rain all morning, though we may have a break this afternoon or evening. It should stay in the 40s all day. Blech!

I wasn't feeling great last night so I just made salad dressing, and put salad on plates. We ate that while waiting for pizza to be delivered. I didn't feel like cooking anything. Eduardo had the day off. LOL.

I had leftover salad and cold pizza from the refrigerator for breakfast and am running the dishwasher now. I may do laundry later, and possibly a little house cleaning to keep up the momentum from yesterday.

I may make some more salad dressing too, since we do have more salad makings that need to be eaten soon.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,371 Member
    Good morning.
    Hope you're feeling better, Ed. I had some salad yesterday and managed to splash the vinegar and oil all over myself trying to fork a piece of cabbage!
    It's currently 26 and cloudy with a high of 28 expected. We're under a winter weather advisory through tomorrow morning....sleet and freezing rain on and off.
    I think I'll declutter a bit today....my housecleaner is coming Monday. Yay.
    Lots of little projects: framing/hanging pictures, jigsaw puzzle, knitting, reading. I'll see what I feel like doing.
    Have a good day, everyone.
    Stay safe and warm.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Went to bed relatively early, so I am up early. Checked the sites for vaccines...all booked for now.
    It's still mostly dark out, but it's not raining or snowing, so that's pretty good, I'd like to take my car for a drive today. It's currently 24 and cloudy with a high of 40 expected. Maybe some rain tonight.
    happy-valentine-s-day-lettering_52683-31190.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday!

Happy Valentines Day!

We are expecting cool, cloudy skies all day, with some chance of rain. I need to get J's car out for a spin today, and may take it to a somewhat distant Kroger store and pick up a few items.

I actually got all the laundry washed, folded, and put away yesterday. Might be time to make sure I am me!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    I did get J's car out for a run, and stopped at a Kroger store. I scored nicely in the meat department too.

I had been looking for one of the Tyson pork roast with vegetables slow cooker kits, as I saw one once but couldn't buy it because it was past the expiration date. I imagine I could put all the ingredients together for less than the $9.99 it cost, but it is really convenient to have it all ready to go.

They had three today, all still in date, and I was able to take my pick. That is in my two quart Crock Pot now, and will be my Sunday dinner, and another meal or two, or three.

But better yet, I found two tenderloin steaks that, while looking brown, looked just fine to me. I don't have to have my meat bright red at purchase and these were a steal at the marked down prices! They will be great dinners for me sometime, with perhaps a small baked potato and a salad or some lima beans.

And in seafood, I found some decent looking steelhead trout that was marked down. I don't get to eat trout often, as I don't fish for my own, and it tends to be a bit on the expensive side for me. I don't recall actually ever eating steelhead trout, so look forward to the experience. This package still wasn't exactly cheap, but I felt like it was something I could afford to indulge myself with. I can broil it for a really nice, healthy meal.

Needless to say, the trout and the steaks are in the deep freezer out in the garage.

Other than that, I just bought ordinary stuff, staples, and necessities. And a Valentine card and a very small package (three pieces) of Ferraro Rocher chocolates, for J because J is trying to lose weight too now.

foayxmh5n7cv.png
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    FOOD REVIEW!

Tyson Slow Cooker Kit Pork Roast with Vegetables

I saw this at Kroger for $9.99 and thought that, for the price, it looked like it might make a decent meal or three (or even 4) but never really believed that it would serve 5, as the package nutrition label suggests.

It was partly a matter of buying a pig in a poke, as I could not actually see the chunk of pig...er pork roast in the package, but I have found Tyson to be reasonably reliable in the past, so went with it.

I followed the package directions on slow cooking, to the letter, though I almost never do that, so I can give a proper review. I made no alterations at all.

There were only two small chunks of celery, but as I am not that fond of celery, I didn't mind that at all. They could have left that out entirely and given me a couple more baby carrots and it would have been fine with me.

I suppose that they did add some flavor to the final dish though.

At the end, I thickened the cooking liquid with a corn starch slurry, to make gravy. The packaging didn't say what to do with the cooking liquid, so I winged it on that, even though pigs can't fly.

The meat was tender, and well done, as were the vegetables. I was prepared to find it too salty, as many such commercial things are, but was pleasantly surprised to find that, while it certainly did not need any more salt, it did not taste too salty to me. They found the happy medium there, at least as far as my taste buds go.

It was, however, a bit bland. A generous sprinkle of freshly ground pepper took care of that nicely. It made a very pleasant Sunday dinner for me, along with some Pinot Noir to wash it all down.

Speaking of wine, it might have been nice to use some wine in place of a small portion (perhaps a quarter cup) of the water used to dissolve the seasoning packet. This would have enriched the gravy wonderfully. If I make this again, I may try that.

As slow cooker meal kits go, I give this one a 4.5 out of 5. This was delicious, and I would happily buy, and eat, it again. Of course there are leftovers, so I WILL be eating it again. LOL.

g1ckra8nsa6e.png

6qvtq1ctdbxi.png

lyuf7otczpe6.png

gouzrzjfws09.png
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! It's cool and cloudy out there and we don't expect to see the sun today. There is a 98% chance of rain, probably this afternoon and evening more than this morning.

I have given Lilo her Monday morning sub-dermal fluid treatment and she is resting in a warm spot near me now. Breakfast was leftover pork roast and vegetables. There are two more meals of that left, and I expect to enjoy them both. Dinner last night, and lunch today, for J were Chinese delivery from a small nearby restaurant. I may take a break from the pork roast and have some of those leftovers for lunch myself, along with a nice salad. I will make sure that J get salad for lunch as well.

Not a lot on the agenda today, but I do need to call the vet sometime this week to order the next bag of lactated Ringer fluid, administration tubing, and 18 gauge needles for that. I have enough left for this week's remaining two administrations but that's all. I like to give them plenty of time to get that together, to make sure I don't run out.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Your roast looks good, Ed. I've got to watch the additives, so better for me to make things from scratch.
    That's a lot of injections...but good that it keeps her healthy and happy. My last cat got dementia when she was that old, and wasn't at all happy. It was heart wrenching.
    It's totally overcast with chance for rain today, currently 32 with a high of 36 expected. Most likely rain overnight.
    I didn't get a chance to take my car for a drive yesterday, so will probably do that this afternoon. My housecleaner is coming this morning, so that's good.
    Got up early to try to find vaccine availability, but none yet.
    No special plans for today. Organized all the paper clutter into a rubber band, so it's ready to be gone through. I don't know why I keep letting it build up. Should just throw it out immediately!
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    eku0 wrote: »

Your roast looks good, Ed. I've got to watch the additives, so better for me to make things from scratch.

I considered tossing their seasoning packet in the trash, which would have left the salt solution in the roast as the only additive. I am sure that the roast would work out well that way too. But I wanted to try this one completely as packaged and properly review the kit. If I buy another one, there's a good chance that Eduardo will have some ideas on improving it. LOL.

Since that one worked out so well, I may start checking out any other slow cooker kits I see, and evaluating the ingredients to see if I think they could work will for me. It really was handy to get four nice entrees from one fairly inexpensive kit.

I probably would have had enough to eat without adding an additional side vegetable, but that did make it a much more filling meal and rounded it out nicely. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, or spinach might have been a better side, as they are less starchy vegetables but really my blood glucose didn't spike much from the meal anyway so it worked out for me.

A roll or a biscuit would have been REALLY nice but if I start adding bread I get into slightly dangerous territory, as bread is a major weakness for me. And I do know how to make a very small amount of bread, but it's still too tempting to eat it all at once, instead of having it for several meals, so I try (with limited success) to watch out on how much I do that.

I have my glucose levels and weight getting back into better ranges the last month or so, after several months of stress eating. I would like to continue that trend. (He says, while pondering making one of those very small amounts of bread...)

• eku0
    Ed, my diet has been going off kilter lately too. I get so tired of avoiding everything, that I started more and more to just have a little of this and that. I have an appointment with my dietitian next week...maybe she can help me with my straying. I love bread too...but my husband has celiac, so all we keep in the house is gluten free bread. Some of it is pretty good, but I'm not really supposed to have processed grains. (When I go off it's usually ice cream, gluten free baked goods, dairy products, or night shades. Also peanut butter, nuts, and chocolate, which are ok in small quantities but cross the line when more than just a little bit.) I have had to watch my weight since I was a child, and as an adult got added medical issues. I know what happens if I'm not vigilant, and it's not pretty!!!🙄😮
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Up early, will try to get a vaccine appt. It's currently 32 and cloudy with a high of 47 expected. That's nice and warm, will be cooler the rest of the week.
    My house is nice and clean, my car has been driven. Will see what today brings.
    Have a good day, everyone. Stay safe and healthy.
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! And it's bloody COLD out there. 27 partly cloudy degrees (feels like 16) with an expected high of only 35. I slept a hair later than normal. I am surprised the cats allowed that.

I had trouble sleeping. Yesterday's rain and LOUD afternoon thunderstorms really seemed to have gotten into my bones and I couldn't find a comfortable position to ease the pain in my right hip. I finally got up sometime around midnight or shortly after, took a Lortab, and laid back down. I guess it worked, eventually, because I did fall asleep and managed to get through most of the rest of the night more comfortably. I feel better, hip-wise, this morning.

I finished off the last of the pork roast for breakfast, with (thanks, Eduardo) a roll. Since the weather wasn't allowing a nap yesterday, Eduardo decided to work on the smallest batch of rolls ever, at least for me. It used only half a cup of flour, and made only two medium sized, very crusty, individual mini-loaf pan rolls. I thought they were cute, and it was enough bread, but not too much, to have with two meals.

One roll was consumed at dinner last night with a plate of the pork roast, and the other re-warmed and eaten with the last of it this morning.

The dishwasher is running now. I have given Lilo her Tuesday arthritis shot of Adequan, and don't have a lot of firm plans for the rest of the day. I may do some house cleaning.

• parityanimal
    Chief Inspector Kiara has to sniff all the food containers before I can prepare breakfast for the cats. This is a daily ritual.

krgvty5reqav.png
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Ed, I would love a roll! Maybe it's time to have another piece of gluten free something baked. Kiara is a very pretty cat. My right hip is the one that bothers me too. The steroid injection helped a little, but it's still a PITA. Glad you're feeling better.
    Up early again this morning, checking the vax web sites. Still nothing available. It's good that the number of cases is coming down, hopefully we can keep the trend going.
    It's 21 this morning, cloudy day with a high of 33 expected. We have a winter storm watch from tonight through tomorrow night. It's saying 1-3 inches overnight, and another 5-8 inches tomorrow. We'll see. I think we have everything we need.
    Have a good day, stay warm and healthy, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 25 cold sunny degrees out there now but we are expecting a sunny high of about 50 today. Then clouds rolling in for the evening with overnight showers expected.

Breakfast was country ham (a VERY rare treat) with scrambled eggs and whole wheat, low carb, high fiber toast, buttered, with a little cherry no-sugar added jam on the toast. That should probably cover my country ham eating for this year. LOL.

I happened to see that at the store last month sometime and it sounded good to me. Sawmill gravy and biscuits would have been perfect with the country ham but I didn't want all those carbs. I DID scramble the eggs in the same frying pan though, to soak up the rest of the country ham goodness. They did not need any salt.

Lunch today will be a pre-seasoned ready to cook beef patty I thawed up from the freezer and dinner probably one of the nicely aged tenderloin steaks I managed to get recently, also thawed up from the freezer. Both are waiting in the refrigerator for me (or Eduardo) to do something with them.

I am thinking patty melt for lunch, and probably either grilled or broiled steak for dinner, with ford hook lima beans as the vegetable, and a small baked potato. On the other hand, I do have some corn as well and could make some succotash. We'll see.

The dishwasher is running now and I think I heard the garbage pickup a bit ago so need to get that bin back up the driveway.

Oh, and here's my cute rolls from the other day.

4qaujssk4gj2.png
  • parityanimal
    Separately, we got SNOW yesterday! Just barely enough to call it, and it didn't last, but it was cute.

jt7qhmyqtpd8.png

1sekpkody7a5.png

kpnvoee6eqc1.png

7uowvzc5ya1j.png
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    Wednesday dinner for me was a small salad, with home made thousand islands style dressing, then half of that tenderloin I had thawed out, broiled, along with some ford hook lima beans, and some broccoli Alfredo noodles. The other half (and the rest of the sides) will be Thursday lunch or dinner, which looks pretty identical to tonight's dinner.

s7wyxzqrt9m3.png
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Ed, we had beef last night too...delish. Are those very large lima beans, or a small plate?
    Up early again to check for vax availability. Still none in the area.
    We have a dusting of snow so far this a.m. It's currently 23 with a high of 29 expected. We're under a winter storm warning. Heavy mixed precipitation. Total snow and sleet accumulations of 5 to 7 inches and ice accumulations of up to one tenth of an inch.
    Will see what the day brings.
    Stay safe and warm, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! It's 38 foggy degrees out there and I can tell it rained at some point in the night. There's a decent chance of more rain today and we expect overcast skies regardless, with a high of around 44.

I need to run the dishwasher and maybe do a little house cleaning. A nap might be nice too if I can manage that. The cats wanted me up early but I was resistant to that idea this morning, and made it until 7:05 or so before giving in.

I decided to eat the steak and leftover sides for breakfast because it was mostly ready to eat. I am sure I will come up with something for my lunch and dinner later. It may be an old fashioned "wander into the kitchen and see what ingredients are available" sort of night. That can be fun, as long as Eduardo is up for it. LOL.

eku0 wrote: »

Ed, we had beef last night too...delish. Are those very large lima beans, or a small plate?

A bit of both. They are not the biggest lima beans one can find, but they are not baby limas either. The package said ford hook lima beans, and I expected the even larger ones.

I tend to serve on soup plates to create the illusion of more food. The same amount of food on a full sized dinner plate would look possibly a bit skimpy for a meal, to my vision anyway, being used to eating lots of food for so many years growing up.

Of course I know that leaving a lot of space on the plate is currently all the rage in haute cuisine, but have never really understood the concept completely. Why put what looks like a few morsels of food on a large plate when a smaller plate would easily hold it, and be less to wash up?

I will grant that the arcs and artistic doodles of sauce and garnishes may make a lovely picture, but in the end the food would taste just as good on a smaller plate, with perhaps a teensy bit less flair in the decorative pattern of sauce around the plate.

Having said THAT, however, I do believe that presentation is important. I guarantee that a meal, served in a cafeteria tray, or Styrofoam plate, won't seem to taste as good as the same meal, nicely arranged, on a nice "real" plate, where it will seem more attractive and the diner will perceive it as tasting better.

I believe I have seen tests where subjects were, in fact, served the exact same fast food meal (think like McDonald's) in a plain paper bag for one test, and, separately, removed from the bag, plated nicely, and served with proper cutlery.

Now obviously they knew the carry out bag was fast food, but the same food, plated, nicely arranged and presented as if at a fancy restaurant, seemed more appetizing, and their perception was that it tasted better.

I almost always, if ordering in, put my food on a plate to have my meal. The almost is because sometimes it would be nearly impossible to get it out of the delivery container without making a big mess of it and in those cases, it will actually look better if eaten right out of the Styrofoam tray, as much as I dislike using Styrofoam.

Anyway, my tea mug is empty and I have rambled enough. Later, gators!

• eku0
    The snow's coming down hard and fast now...looks like the icy kind. Glad I don't have to go anywhere. We're invited to a zoom birthday party for my grandson this evening, and I have a zoom meditation meeting this afternoon, if I can convince myself to sit there for it.
    I tend to put my food in a small bowl. That way it's less likely to spill, and I know the approximate measure of food I'm getting. And it's usually something simple and just us at home. It is nice to eat on real plates sometimes...it does feel fancy when you don't do it all the time. :smirk:
    Hope you have a good day.