Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,371 Member
    Good morning.
    Turns out there was only a few inches of snow, but it's very icy out there. Our winter weather advisory has been extended through noon today "Mixed precipitation. Additional snow and sleet accumulations of less than one half inch and ice accumulations of less than a tenth of an inch." It's currently 26 with a high of 38 expected today, so there may be some melting later.
    Another day of puttering around the house for me, I guess.
    Have a good day, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,327 Member
    edited February 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's fabulous Friday! 39 partly cloudy degrees now, with an expected high of a sunny 49. Then cooling somewhat overnight back down into the freezing temperatures.

I don't know what is on the agenda for today. Our only nephew on J's side is down for the weekend. I knew he was coming but was a bit blindsided with the sudden revelation that he was coming LAST NIGHT instead of tonight.

So I had to go and make up the bed in the guest room yesterday. Fortunately all that was ready to go, as I always get everything set up after any guests leave, except for actually making the bed. That waits until I know guests are coming.

He arrived late, after I had already gone to bed. I remember hearing the front door door creaking but have to say he managed to actually not make a lot of noise beyond that. I haven't heard him walking or talking, and he's still in bed. That's a far cry from the little noise maker he was as a child. There were times then that I thought he was going to bring the house down with the noise!

His fiancée recently suffered a miscarriage. They have been living together for some years now and are still planning to get married next year. And, apparently, they have been trying to have a baby, which I think is a bit of a mistake at this time.

He is having some emotional issues from the miscarriage, and she's a drama queen anyway, so it's hard to be sure with her, exactly where she is at, but she would be understandably upset about it. At any rate, he needed to get away for a bit and, well, here he is.

Frankly we don't think they are in any position to raise a child right now, and with her health issues there is a good chance she may never be able to carry a child to term. If she does, there are more chances of life threatening complications for her, but her biological clock is apparently ticking loudly.

I think J may be planning a drive around to visit some old covered bridges in the area. That might be a nice distraction for all of us, assuming I actually go with them. They may just want some time together and that's fine with me if they want that. J doesn't have the huge extended family that I do, having only one sibling.

I need to refill my tea mug. Later gators!

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

• eku0
    Ed, so nice that your nephew is visiting...that's sad about his fiancee's miscarriage. It's good that he feels safe/comforted with you and J. Covered bridges tour sounds interesting, good distraction.
  • parityanimal
    Today we took a road trip to Watson Mill Bridge State Park. The park is named after the old covered bridge that crosses the river there. I took a few pictures.

f5nrw1kuar7b.png

qg22hy1lvj85.png

eswpsjmq1ziz.png

8vr44ss1abh8.png

sgg84n7jfjrw.png

6vkd23pxivji.png

xnod4smhik4h.png

ddlgngp8vrpj.png

• parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! 27 chilly, sunny degrees out there now (feels like 22) but a sunny high of 52 expected this afternoon.

We had a pleasant trip yesterday, and ordered pizza for supper as we got home right around that time. We had stopped at a Del Taco on the way to the park (it's quite some distance away, maybe 65 or 75 miles) and had a light lunch. I had the Pollo Asado with Avocado Fresh Bowl.

That has fresh grilled chicken, hand-sliced avocado, seasoned black beans, diced onions, and fresh diced tomatoes, served over cilantro lime rice. It's a bit high in carbs, but a lot of them are "good" carbs and it ends up counting as four carb servings, but I knew we would be walking around a bit at the park. I suppose I could have cut the carbs some by not eating all the rice, but I ate it all, and I had a large, unsweet iced tea to wash it down.

Not a lot on the definite agenda this morning, but I do have some laundry going, and will be feeding the cats in a while.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Ed, nice bridge, interesting rustic looking area. I guess that's the same Del Taco that they have in California. I think I had a fish taco when we went there. Mexican food is yummy.
    It's currently 24 degrees with a high of 28 expected...partly cloudy....brrrrrr. They've lowered the temperature from the previous forecast.
    Planning to see the family later for a little while...all masked up and distanced.
    Haven't been sleeping well, hope I sleep better tonight...will try going to bed earlier I think.
    Anyway, there's some sunshine out there, that's good.
    Happy Saturday, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday! It's a frigid 20 degrees out there now, but we are looking at clear skies all day with a high of 56 and a warmer overnight between today and Monday.

I woke around 4:00 and could tell I wasn't going to get any more sleep until quite a bit later, so I got up and started my day.

Our nephew went back up to Kentucky last night to avoid traffic today, as he was able to leave later in the evening, not having to work today. I am sure he's back home and in his own bed now. J likely stayed awake until he got home, to make sure and since I was not awakened in the wee hours with bad news, will assume no news is good news until told otherwise.

Nothing firm on the agenda for today.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Ed, glad all is well. Thanks for the continuing smiles.
    It's currently 18 degrees and sunny here, with an expected high of 36 and clouds coming in later. Showing a high of 39 and precipitation tomorrow and then into the 40s after that, with a relatively warm day on Wednesday.
    I forgot to water my plants yesterday, so will do that this morning. It was nice seeing the family yesterday.

• parityanimal
    Since I was up, I decided to put together a grocery order, as the list had enough items on it to make it worth the bother. Might as well give an Instacart shopper something to do this morning at Kroger. LOL.

I marked the order for no subs, so if they are out of something, then it won't be included. I wish I could do that on an individual item basis with Instacart, rather than the whole cart or nothing. Oh well, first world problems, right?

I doubled the tip since it is Sunday, early, and cold.

So I should be putting groceries away within a couple of hours.

• parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    Well our two Sunday dinners had one thing in common. Scrambled eggs.

For J, Eduardo spent about an hour putting together some spicy mi goreng, an Asian noodle dish. This one had mushrooms, onions, peas, carrots, bell peppers, jalapeños, and garlic, along with crispy fried tofu and scrambled eggs, all stirred together with some ramen type noodles in a dark, spicy sauce that Eduardo tossed together from several ingredients that were readily available in our kitchen, though some of them might not be so readily available in other kitchens. There was enough to set aside a nice serving for J's lunch tomorrow to so it will be heat and eat when needed.

While J was eating, I made some quick cooking steel cut oats for me, and then warmed some frozen, precooked sausage patties, and scrambled two eggs with a little bit of shredded cheese, poured a glass of tea, and a glass of red wine, and relaxed with my much simpler meal. I am still working on that glass of wine.

J said the noodles were good. So I don't have to worry about them not really being wanted for lunch tomorrow. I did taste them, and I thought they were good too.

Off to watch some videos and finish my wine.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Ed, the Asian noodle dish sounds good...I probably don't keep a lot of ingredients. I almost always have fresh ginger, garlic, and onions, and some standard dried herbs and spices. Your simple meal also sounds good.
    I put some extra vegetables, a few kidney beans, a little quinoa, and leftover cooked ground chicken into my left over cabbage soup for dinner last night. It was pretty good. Not chef quality, but satisfying.
    Supposed to get more snow/ice to rain today. Hubby is traveling 60 miles to get a vaccination. I hope the roads are ok. It looks like mostly rain in the area he's going to, turning to snow only for about an hour.
    Currently 29, totally overcast with a high of 39 expected. Winter weather advisory.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous muggy Monday!

It's 47 cloudy degrees out there now, and we expect an overcast high of 59 today! That's positively balmy! There is a 91% chance of rain today, starting with a low chance this morning, but that chance increasing as the day goes on.

I have given Lilo her Monday morning fluid treatment, and subsequent treats, and I had a breakfast that consisted of a small fruit cup (diced pears), two medium sized eggs, fried over easy, two sausage patties, and one piece of whole wheat toast with butter and a small amount of no sugar added cherry jam spread.

And my inevitable tea, which I am still working on.

I soaked about a pound of Mayocoba beans overnight, and the PLANNED dinner is slow cooked, stewed, Mayocoba beans, with fried potatoes on the side for J, and probably cornbread for me. The recipe is linked below, if anyone would be interested. I have made it before, but it's been over a year. My memory says we liked it.

https://rufusguide.wordpress.com/2014/09/20/stewed-peruvian-beans/

• parityanimal
    Today's totally non-traditional Monday fish'n'chips lunch. Or, if you prefer, fish'n'crisps.

Broiled steelhead trout.

2u68fhhs5odt.png

And the leftover spicy mi goreng, ready to be warmed up for J.

nt93yombrcs0.png

• parityanimal
    The stewed Mayocoba beans came out great! I did eat a small portion of the potatoes though, and too much cornbread. Sigh...

J ate the bulk of the fried potatoes. There is one dish of the beans left for someone to eat.

ioqkymni664c.png

2a24nkwkwfeq.png

3wgeu85qyht6.png

• parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! It's clear and 35 degrees out there now, with an expected sunny high of 66 degrees!

I may get out to Kroger early, as in about as soon as I finish this mug of tea.

I woke up early with my hip hurting, and might as well make use of the time!

Cornbread, eggs, and a sausage patty for breakfast.

• parityanimal
    edited February 2021
    I now have indisputable proof that the U-Scan at Kroger hates me.

I walked up to it, scanned my Kroger card, and it started to say, "Scan your...." but then realized that I just had, so it tried to cut itself off and change to, "Thank you."

What came out of the speaker though, sounded like "Skank you!"

WELL! I NEVER! HOW RUDE!

I mumbled under my breath, "Same to you, you $%^#!," and began scanning groceries.

Every third or fourth item it would chirp that I needed to place the item in the bag before scanning the next item, although I had already done so, and flash the screen that said the attendant had been called. Then it would, without any help from the attendant who was off somewhere anyway, bounce back to the scanning screen and let me continue.

At the end, I touched the "PAY NOW" button and it immediately chirped up with, "Help is on the way!," though I didn't need any help paying, as far as I know. I had my card ready, and was ready to push the "PAY WITH CARD" button, but it didn't give me a chance to get there.

The attendant came, after a short wait, and cleared the machine to allow me to pay.

The machine hates me.

To be fair, it was the early morning before any regular cashier lanes are open, so maybe the U-Scan is programmed to call for the attendant when the customer is ready to pay. But I am going with THE MACHINE HATES ME.

But at any rate, I have what I needed. I think Eduardo will convert the leftover stewed Mayocoba beans from last night into refried Mayocoba beans, and use that as one ingredient in Taco Tuesday taco salads for dinner tonight.

And I got some great bargains that will make nice, mostly ready to bake meals for me.

I can put one potato half in with each stuffed chicken breast, and get two complete meals there, each cooked in a single pan, and the fish will go nicely with some other vegetable for a lunch or dinner.

9bsct82sld1p.png

zx4jdzg1k3b8.png

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Ed, all that cooking!!! What a great hobby.
    I seem to have issues with vaccination systems not liking me. I almost got an appt yesterday, but my screen blanked out as it was trying to confirm. My son got an appt for me online this a.m for next week, and they sent me a note that I need to fill out a form, but I need an activation code, which of course, they didn't send me. I've been on hold on the phone now for 56 minutes waiting to talk to someone to ask for an activation code. What fun.
    Currently 34 and partly cloudy with a high of 49 expected, considerably warmer than it's been.
    I have 2 telemed appts today....one with my rheumatologist and one with my dietitian.
    That's about it for me.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

It is, again, a chilly 35 degrees out there now, but we are expecting a sunny high of 72 this afternoon! I could go out and sunbathe! LOL.

My bargain chicken with twice baked potato made a nice lunch, and will do so again today. The leftover Mayocoba beans transformed beautifully into spicy refried beans for our taco salads at dinner.

I bought salad stuff at Kroger yesterday, so I may have salad with lunch as well. I may do some house cleaning today.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Ed, enjoy the warmth!
    I got my confirmation email...free parking in lot B, and walk in through Gate A...I'll pretend I'm going to a football game. Sunshine and warmer today...47 with a high of 58 expected. Need to drive into Frederick and pick up a copy of my x-rays.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

It's a clear 50 degrees out there now and the sun should be shining all day, with an expected high of 72 balmy days.

I don't have daffodils blooming just yet, but they are definitely putting up buds. We are still limited to a few purple crocus and some dark bluish purple dwarf Japanese iris for now, along with the two Lenten rose that are a purplish red, that fades to more green when the bloom gets old. All of the current bloomers were gifts from friends. Some of the daffodils were also gifts, while others are transplants from places we have lived before, and the rest are from an assortment of bulbs I bought years ago at the Birmingham Botanic Gardens gift shop.

I think Spring is my favorite season. I love to watch the plants coming back to life and busting out all over. Fall is nice, but a bit sad, as everything is going to sleep, but with the promise of coming back again in the Spring.

Summer can look nice, but is often just too hot and humid, and winter can be too cold and dreary. Spring and Fall have the nicest temperatures too.

Dinner last night was one of those, "what can I make from this pound of ground beef" nights and Eduardo came up with a cottage pie. Browned ground beef with onion, garlic, peas & carrots, and tomato sauce, along with assorted herbs, topped with garlic mashed potatoes and then shredded cheese, and baked at 350 for about half an hour.

Needless to say, breakfast was more of the same, as will be lunch and dinner for me today, and that will finish it off.

Not a lot on the agenda today. Maybe a nap.

Some of the Japanese iris.

wwyf643byvcy.png

And last night's cottage pie.

y7xuddprred1.png