Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,655 Member
    edited June 10
    Options
    SCAM OF THE WEEK:
    Malware Office Suite

“You get what you pay for,” and this week’s scam is no exception. Cybercriminals are distributing a “free” pirated version of Microsoft Office across torrenting websites. The catch is that it’s actually malware. If you download and install it, the malware can begin harvesting your personal data.

If you download the malicious Microsoft Office file, the installation process appears to be legitimate. The installer looks professional and even allows you to select the version of Microsoft Office you would like to install. However, if you run the file, malware will install on your computer. The malware is designed to avoid detection from most antivirus systems. Even if your antivirus software scans and removes it, this particular malware can re-install itself afterward. This “free” version of Microsoft may actually cost you something after all - your personal data!

Follow these tips to avoid falling victim to a malware scam:

Never download software from unofficial sources. A pirated version of the software isn’t an official release, and it may contain malware.

If something is too good to be true, it probably is. Microsoft Office is a software that you would normally pay for, and a free version isn’t likely to be legitimate.
    Be sure to follow your organization’s instructions regarding antivirus software and data backups. Having updated software and data backups can help to protect your machine from a malware infection.

The KnowBe4 Security Team
    KnowBe4 dot com

Stop, Look, and Think. Don't be fooled.

———————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

We have 16 (C) sunny degrees with an expected sunny high of 30 and 2% chance of precipitation.

There is no laundry to fold! I got that taken care of yesterday. There wll be more before the weekend though.

I have a periodontist appointment this afternoon.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,156 Member
    Options
    good morning
    Glad you got your laundry folded, Ed! Good luck with the perio.
    I finished my Father's Day shopping yesterday, and stopped off at the library.
    It's currently 58F,14C. Partly cloudy. High around 75F,24C. Winds light and variable.
    Off to craft sessions today.
    Wishing all a fine Tuesday. 🌼🌻🌤️🕊️
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon;
    Currently 72F and cloudy.
    Ed-good luck with the perio and congrats on getting the laundry folded.
    Vix-I haven't even thought about Father's Day shopping, I better get a move on.
    Hi Irene.
    My son and daughter-in-law will be here in 15 days. I can't wait to see them.
    My rhododendron's are all dropping their blooms. They look so pretty when fully bloomed.
    My daylillies are just starting to bloom.
    Have a good day! :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    There are angels at McDonald's.

I didn't have time for lunch before my 1:00 periodontal exam, but figured my breakfast would last me until I could get a late lunch after.

All the same, I had intended to bring some glucose tablets with me, but forgot.

I was fine, until, while sitting at McDonald's, waiting for my food, I started feeling a glucose crash starting.

Knowing that the food I had ordered wasn't going to kick in very fast, I was going to see if there was a packet of sugar or something in the drink area.

BUT, I didn't need to. The guy who brought my meal, brought with it the little tub of pancake syrup that someone had used to hold my ticket down in the back.

The syrup didn't fit with the meal at all, but I just slurped that down, then ate my double cheeseburger and fries and was fine. 🙂
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning
    Irene, hope your PT is going well and you're enjoying your pool.
    Ed, nice story. I do believe sometimes angels, in whatever form, give us a little help when we need it.
    Jo, I'm so happy for you that your son and daughter-in-law are visiting! Yay!
    Our rhododendrons have been and gone, but we have so many things blooming now. We have roses, lilies, periwinkle, astilbe, dogwood, spirea, butterfly bushes, butterfly weed, clematis, daisies.
    We watched Will and Lilly for a few hours last night. They are so much fun. 💗
    It's currently 55F, 13C. A mix of clouds and sun. High around 80F, 27C. Winds light and variable.
    Wishing all a happy 🐪 day. 🌞🌤️🏵️🌹🌺🌻🌼🕊️
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,120 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    I will be happy when I am done with pt after awhile it gets tiring.
    the pool is great thanks Vix for thinking about me
    Jo you must be pretty happy your son and family is coming to visit
    Ed so glad you are ok
    take care everyone
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

We have 22 (C) partly cloudy degrees with an expected high of 32 and 4% chance of precipitation.

I should get some laundry going today. I'm sure I'll have plenty to do on the work front as well.

• eku0
    edited June 13
    Options
    good morning
    Hi Jo.
    Irene, I know PT gets tiring after a while. I have printouts of several different exercise routines they gave me that I rotate through at home, so I'm not doing the same thing all the time. Glad you're enjoying the pool. I'm sure it's refreshing in this heat!
    Ed, sounds like work is keeping you busy.
    I have a massage appt this morning. I'm sure it'll be great. I promised her a cheesecake recipe long ago and kept forgetting to bring it, so this morning, I put a copy in my purse.
    It's currently 67F Lots of sunshine. High 87F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
    Wishing all a happy day. 🌞🏵️🌹🌺🌻🌼🕊️
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's fabulous Friday!

We have 20 (C) sunny degrees with an expected, scorching, sunny high of 35 and 2% chance of precipitation.

Laundry to fold today, from yesterday.

• eku0
    edited June 14
    Options
    Good morning
    Hot here too, Ed. The weekend looks good, then in the 90sF, 30sC, all of next week.
    Our housecleaner is coming this morning. I have to wrap up a few gifts, straighten up a bit, and do some laundry. Will is graduating from preschool tomorrow. That will be fun.
    It's currently 74F,23C. Sunny early then increasing clouds with some scattered thunderstorms this afternoon. Potential for severe thunderstorms. High 89F, 32C. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%. There were some t-storms last night. Good to water the garden. ;)
    Wishing all an easy Friday and a wonderful weekend ahead. 🌞🌦️🌩️🌼🌻🌺🌹🏵️🕊️
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Good morning;
    Currently 80F and sunny with a slight breeze. It is nice sitting out on the deck under the awning.
    Vix-Is Will going to kindergarten in the fall?
    Hi Ed and Irene.
    I have gone grocery shopping, cleaned the bird bath, cleaned the bathrooms and pruned some
    plants. The rest of the day I will relax.
    Have a great day! :)

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday!

We have 29 (C) sunny degrees with an expected partly cloudy high of 33 and 77% chance of precipitation that could include thundershowers.

Still need to get that laundry folded, as Jason is supposedly heading to Kentucky this afternoon after the pool party that I am not going to attend. Too hot and too much chance of thunderstorms, and I don't like driving in the rain if I can help it.

Grocery shopping may wait until tomorrow too.

• eku0
    Options
    Hi all.
    Jo, I'm glad you are relaxing and enjoying some time outdoors. Yes, Will is going to kindergarten in the Fall. 😊
    Ed, hope you have a relaxing day too.
    Hi Irene.
    It was a beautiful sunny day here, high around 80F, 27C.
    Will's graduation was so cute. It was set up in a tent outside. They had a short speech by the admin. The children filed in, they had little caps, sang a few songs, and walked up to get their diplomas! The teachers said something nice about each of them as they were announced, so sweet! We went out for brunch after, and our son-in-laws parents met us there. We haven't seen them in a while, so that was good too.
    Later in the afternoon, our son and family and daughter and family, all came over to celebrate Father's Day. It was a super fun day.
    Wishing all a happy weekend! 🎓🌞🏵️🌹🌺🌻🌼🕊️
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning
    It's currently 61F, 16C. Sunshine and clouds mixed. High near 85F, 29C. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
    No special plans for today.
    Wishing all a peaceful Sunday. 🌞🌤️🌼🌻🕊️
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous, scorching, sunny Sunday!

We have 29 (C) sunny degrees with an expected mostly sunny high of 35 and 14% chance of precipitation.

We never did get any rain yesterday, but that's fine. I had a pretty relaxing day and got my hair and beard cut down to a very short length. For hair, the number 3 comb guide and number 2 for the beard. I like to keep them both very short for the summer and I had been getting uncomfortably shaggy.

Grocery shopping today, I think.

• IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,120 Member
    Options
    hi everyone been busy with exercising pool and getting things ready for our trip up north to Pa
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

We have 23 (C) sunny degrees with an expected partly cloudy high of 33 and 2% chance of precipitation.

Coq au vin for supper last night, and some leftovers for another meal.

We'll see what's hot on the work agenda today.

• eku0
    Options
    good morning
    Jo, hope you're relaxing.
    Irene, glad you're enjoying the pool. Have a fun trip to Pa.
    Ed, good that you got a trim for the hot weather. We've been having some rain, but mostly at night.
    It's currently 71F,22C. Sunny. High 91F,33C . Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. So hot. My window's open for now, will close it soon.
    Wishing all a bright shiny new week. Keep cool! 🌞🌟🌻🌼🕊️😎
  • parityanimal
    Options
    SCAM OF THE WEEK:
    Be on Patrol for These Fake Calls

In this week’s scam, cybercriminals are impersonating U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents. The scammers call you and claim that CBP has intercepted drugs or money shipments that are addressed to you. They insist that you must confirm personal details to help them resolve the case. If you refuse to cooperate, the scammers threaten to send police to arrest you. 

To seem more credible, the scammers may provide actual CBP employee names and numbers that they find online, as well as fake case and badge numbers. In some cases, there is a recorded message that says to press a number to speak to a "CBP officer" about an intercepted shipment. The real CBP stresses that these calls are complete scams and that the agency never requests money or personal information like Social Security numbers over the phone. 

Follow these tips to avoid falling victim to a Border Patrol phone scam:

The CBP will not call you to request money or financial information. If you receive a call asking you to share personal information, it’s best to hang up and contact the government agency directly at a verified number.

This particular phone scam impersonates the CBP, but remember that scammers could call you and impersonate any government entity.

Scammers rely on scaring you into making an impulsive decision. If you receive an unexpected phone call urging you to take action, be extra cautious. It could be a scam.

The KnowBe4 Security Team
    KnowBe4 dot com

Stop, Look, and Think. Don't be fooled.