Recent NSV?

Options

Replies

• jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Went on a cruise last weekend and wore a bikini 99% of the time.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @Ultima_Morpha
    Second 50k complete!

...and under 7 hours to boot!

Wow. Super impressed! How were the trails? Elevation? Now that I've done a Marathon I'm itching to do an Ultra now. But probably not on a trail!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    JamesAztec wrote: »
    @Ultima_Morpha
    Second 50k complete!

...and under 7 hours to boot!

Wow. Super impressed! How were the trails? Elevation? Now that I've done a Marathon I'm itching to do an Ultra now. But probably not on a trail!

The trails yesterday were less technical (i.e. rocky) than the 50k course that I ran 2 weeks ago-- and the elevation gain just over 2000 instead of 7000! But it was also 20 degrees warmer!

The variability is one of the things that I like the most about trail running. Most of the events we run are in state parks and the wildflowers are spectacular right now. I don't see myself running another road event any time soon. My first marathon was a trail event too!

I find that our trail running community is friendly and helpful, the races are well organized, and there is a huge range of ages. The paces are slower (except for the machines that finish in astounding times! ) and nearly everyone walks some of the time depending on the terrain.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I think I am back on track. I’ve been doing a nice combo of walk run for the past week and this morning did 2 miles at a slow jog without stopping. I can actually see my daily 5K in my sights by the end of next month.

I’ll never be a marathoner or do an ultra (probably!) but I am super excited to be back on the run! :)
  • 5BeautifulDays
    Options
    Ecowles675 wrote: »
    I think about this thread often and what I should post. I go through daily activities and try to pay attention to things that are different than before. At first I couldn't come up with anything that felt "victorious" enough to post. But as the weeks have gone by my list has been getting longer. Maybe not victories but definitely accomplishments!!!

- went to the theater and I didn't have to stand up for someone to get by in front of me
    - had extra room in the theater seat and was not overflowing onto the person next to me. Same at the hairdresser, plenty of room in the chair now where before I was always worried I would get stuck.
    - the elevator doesn't bounce when I step into it
    - went to a PTO meeting and I wasn't the biggest person in the room
    - bought a size 14 dress off the rack (haven't done that since high school, was a size 22/24)
    - lugged bags of mulch across the yard for 2 hours and didn't have to stop for a rest
    - ran into someone I hadn't seen in a few months and they didn't recognize me
    - my kids can put their arms all the way around me to give me a hug
    - routinely make wise choices at meals even though what the rest of my family is having looks sooo much better than my choice, whereas before I would fall back into bad choices within a day or so
    - had to move the car seat forward to drive
    - I'm not embarrassed to do weights in front of everyone at the gym and even throw a mt down and do ab work on the main floor, before I would hide on the elliptical
    - I can lay down in bed without my husband noticing

Those *are* victories!! Congratulations!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    Ecowles675 wrote: »
    I think about this thread often and what I should post. I go through daily activities and try to pay attention to things that are different than before. At first I couldn't come up with anything that felt "victorious" enough to post. But as the weeks have gone by my list has been getting longer. Maybe not victories but definitely accomplishments!!!

- went to the theater and I didn't have to stand up for someone to get by in front of me
    - had extra room in the theater seat and was not overflowing onto the person next to me. Same at the hairdresser, plenty of room in the chair now where before I was always worried I would get stuck.
    - the elevator doesn't bounce when I step into it
    - went to a PTO meeting and I wasn't the biggest person in the room
    - bought a size 14 dress off the rack (haven't done that since high school, was a size 22/24)
    - lugged bags of mulch across the yard for 2 hours and didn't have to stop for a rest
    - ran into someone I hadn't seen in a few months and they didn't recognize me
    - my kids can put their arms all the way around me to give me a hug
    - routinely make wise choices at meals even though what the rest of my family is having looks sooo much better than my choice, whereas before I would fall back into bad choices within a day or so
    - had to move the car seat forward to drive
    - I'm not embarrassed to do weights in front of everyone at the gym and even throw a mt down and do ab work on the main floor, before I would hide on the elliptical
    - I can lay down in bed without my husband noticing

Those are some of the greatest victories!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    I think I am back on track. I’ve been doing a nice combo of walk run for the past week and this morning did 2 miles at a slow jog without stopping. I can actually see my daily 5K in my sights by the end of next month.

I’ll never be a marathoner or do an ultra (probably!) but I am super excited to be back on the run! :)

Yay! Becoming a runner was never even on my mind but now I don't know what I'd do without it!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    Options

Yay! Becoming a runner was never even on my mind but now I don't know what I'd do without it!

Well, what I did without it was gain weight and get depressed...highly do not recommend!

I don’t think you can overestimate the value of daily time outdoors in the fresh air just moving. It just feels good!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Over the past month I've become somewhat of a local "celebrity" (it probably helps that I live in a small city). Almost daily I get congratulated and asked about the Marathon. It's kind of fun sharing with people my story of going from 400+lbs to Marathon Finisher. I'm enjoying my 15 minutes!

I've been interviewed by the local newspaper, a journalism student from Cal Poly and 3 separate running podcasts. The latest being Marathon Training Academy. They're one of the best known Podcast in the running community. It was an honor to chat with them. It hasn't been published yet but when it does I'll post a link.

I think my story resonates with people and I know that it's inspired some folks to change. I tell people it's all about habits and consistency. I developed good eating and exercise habits so I don't have use will power to do the right things for my body. I've ditched all the counting of calories, macros, water, etc and don't even weigh myself anymore (if I ever notice a change in My appearance or how clothes fit I may) My weight and health are not a daily "struggle" or "battle". I'm too busy enjoying lots of delicious whole foods. And doing fun activities with my smaller, healthier body.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love all the positivity :):) I think my surgeries gave me a do over for my life. To try to be a better person and to be grateful for life in general...the good, bad and even the ugly. I think (or rather I hope I do) think about things differently than I did before. I believe I make better choices (sometimes) now then did before. I think about the lessons I’ve learned and that I should use them to make better decisions in the present. I feel more alive now than when I turned 21 and I thought that was the best year of life. All, the things I stressed about, I don’t really care about anymore. I pick my battles. But, I feel pretty good.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My NSV
    Life has become normal after 4 years of maintaining. Eating and living healthy is just my life and I'm thankful.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    @Ultima_Morpha
    33.3 ultra marathon! congrats.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Last week, I dropped back under 200lbs. Only the second time I have seen "onederland" since I was a young teen!
  • HelenGrace203
    HelenGrace203 Posts: 132 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Down 40+#s, I shopped in a normal store (Athleta) for gym clothes this week! Athleta Size XL (16). Win!
  • rll22
    rll22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So my recent nsv happened today, I took out a pair of capris I haven't been able to wear in over a year and they fit today! (Which means I've gone down a pant size!)