The New Water Cooler

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,346 Member
    Comfort food tonight. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and acorn squash, yum!

Cool here. It did not get out of the 50's today and it is suppose to rain the rest of the weekend.

I hope you are enjoying your time with C and he is doing well.

Hugs!
  • jrbanta
    A rainy Sunday. I volunteer at the theater this afternoon but I don't know what is playing this weekend. I don't think it is anything I want to see. They get some odd movies for my taste. I'm waiting for Where the Craw Dads Sing in November. That one I will see. We get popular movies late since it is a small theater and run by a nonprofit.

I cut 80 pairs of ribbon handles for the Power Book Bags yesterday as I watched U of M Gophers womp Michigan State Spartans in football. What an embarassment for the Spartans. Ugh! I never seem to watch when they win. At Power Books, volunteers will get the ribbon and sew on the tote bags they make for the handles. It was easy to do and I'll do it again for them.

It is 64 in our house this morning, 54 outside. We haven't turned on the heat yet but I'm thinking it is time. So far I'm dressing in warmer clothes and wearing slippers on my feet. We have propane heat so it gets really expensive. It also fuels the gas appliances. Normally we can wait until October to turn the heat on but it is a cool September this past week. I hope we get some warmer temps in October for a bit before the snow flies.

Has C opened up about school and how it is going?
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,803 Member
    Last minute I decided to take Friday off work to get some food ready and in case Caleb came home early. He had mentioned chicken soup and tater tot casserole. So I got the hamburger bought and browned up and chicken thawed and cooked and the soup ready. He got home about 2:30 on Friday. It was so good to see him. Even though it's only been a month, that's the longest it has been for not seeing him. He looked thinner to me. I'm really not sure how he 'really' is doing. He has definitely had a struggle in his classes that he wasn't anticipating. I am hopeful he has gotten a grasp on it, but I'm not sure he is passing yet. He has mentioned all the tutors he is seeing, study groups, TA's and resources he is working. Still not necessarily feeling like it's going great though. It makes me sad. When they are doing all the 'right' things and not succeeding? That's hard to watch. He was only home the one night and left about lunch time Saturday. I got to feed him a few meals, hug him a few times and that was about it. I offered to take him shopping, asked if there was anything I could help with, but he said he was just going to hit Walmart on his way back in to Lincoln. He wouldn't even take the leftovers back with him. So, I'm not really sure why he came home. Maybe for his mail and the couple meals. But it's really hard to say. I wish I would have had some time alone with him, but Bernie was obviously watching his progress coming home and Bernie came home quickly after Caleb arrived. Sigh. So, still not sure. I am still sending lots and lots of prayer energy to them both, but especially Caleb. He had really good things to say about this professor teaching the (something along the lines of intro to comp engineering) and called him 'yoked' - (which I think is good) and how Caleb is trying to work up to running a 5k because that is something this prof does with his students. That's the sort of stuff I pray that he would be getting out school. Finding people who spark their desires and get them excited about learning. Not the turds that take required classes and make them impossible and tortuous. Apparently the general consensus from all the physics students is that none of the UNL physics profs are able to teach. The study group he is in has a guy in it whose girlfriend or sister is a student at UNO and is also in physics and she is taking what she is learning from the UNO physics classes and then teaching this study group. Wow. That's some serious work arounds they have to do. I'm proud they are figuring a way around, but it is sad and infuriating they have to do that.

You say you picked the wrong week to watch your team play football. That's every week for the last decade here in Nebraska. Oy. We just keep talking about the 90's. But Husker volleyball pulled off a hard to watch five set win over Ohio last night. GBR volleyball - #TheRedKingdom - I love their media hype theme this year.

Sunday
  • jrbanta
    Do you think C is just having the typical freshman first semester? Grading and expectations are different than high school and one can see their grades fall before bringing them up the second semester. I remember getting a C on my first English paper freshman term and it shocked me. I had always done well with writing. I also remember studying for a final and failing the exam. Still not sure how that happened because I thought I had done well. Does C have high standards for himself and he is just adjusting to the work load and expectations? I wish you had more time with him but it sounds like he just needed to see you and get some TLC.

I remember a few bad professors at Michigan State University. I would assume they are for research and have to teach too but aren't good teachers and don't put time into it that they should. My physics prof was the worse. The whole class cheated on exams but me so I barely passed while they all got top grades.

Raining all weekend here. I volunteered at the theater and we only sold 16 tickets for the weird movie showing. Russ turned the heat on a bit while I was gone to warm up the house and then turned it off. Not sure why he turned it off again.

I volunteer at the theater in two weeks again and get to see Where the Crawdads Sing (finally!). I get to see it free when I volunteer.

Tomorrow Charlie gets his allergy shot. I would like to go to an aqua class at the Y but his shot is mid morning when classes are happening. I will aim for Wednesday for sure and Tuesday morning if I can. I have a noon pedicure on Tuesday but should be able to go to class at 9am if I get my act together early enough. Busy few weeks and it should settle down after this week.

I hope you have a good Monday.

• mizpaden74
    I think C is (understandably) shocked at not being able to at a minimum be 'average.' He purposefully took Cal 1 - even though he had a year of dual credit calc last year and could have gone into calc 2. He had physics in high school and should at least be able to keep up. He tried to give himself a class schedule that would allow him to have a successful semester. I am still hopeful he gets there and that his stubbornness has kicked in. He has the brain and aptitude to be a great engineer. This is why many do the first two years at a smaller school - the smaller schools are much more likely to care about your success in the calc and physics than the U. For them it's just for sorting. Not actually trying to help all those kids succeed by having good instruction/teachers. After being a straight A student and in the top 10 percent of his class for four years, not passing (while giving it all your focus and energy) is pretty disheartening.

Off to the doc tomorrow to discuss annual labs and to finally bring up all the pain and weakness I am having in my shoulders and fingers and other joints -

Monday monday
  • mizpaden74
    I hope my blood pressure doesn't get too high before the appt - I always get so anxious anymore just going in to the office -

I forgot to ask - awhile back you mentioned wanting to ask for a med for your arthritis - did you and your doc come up with another option for you to try?

Ok, it's not just the arthritis (self-diagnosed) and hot flashes on mind, I am unhappy with my weight and want help with that -
  • jrbanta
    My blood pressure is always up at doctor visits. I always worry what they are going to say about my weight, glucose, etc. I did get a prescription med for my arthritis that has to be taken with food 1x a day as needed. I don't take often since I have to eat with it. I try to take in the morning with breakfast if I have been having pain. I'm not sure it does a lot for me but I haven't used it consistently either.

Poured rain all day! Poor Charlie didn't get much of an early morning walk to do his business. It was raining around 11:30 when I took him out again and then I had to leave for my pedicure. I had her take off polish and buff my nails so they can breathe until January. I'll get a pedicure before we leave for FL in January. When I got home it wasn't raining so Charlie and I walked our property throwing out apples on the trail for the deer again. They ate all the others from the weekend. My sister had a good size black bear walk through her yard last night. I would like to see one here when I am inside with the dog but nothing so far.

I went to a meeting for volunteers at the theater. Not many showed up but it was informational about how the nonprofit runs the theater, improvements, schedule of movies/events coming up, membership in the nonprofit, etc. I am more clear on their mission for the theater as a place for movies and community events.

Tomorrow I will go to an aqua fitness class at the YMCA at 9am. I have to put on a swim suit so that will be a drag but I do love exercising in a pool.

I vacuumed up all the fruit flies that were dead on the windowsills inside and out today. My window washer comes Thursday so I wanted them gone so they didn't get smeared on the windows or gunk up his rags. This weekend I will start on cutting down perennials and putting yard stuff away. It will take a couple of weekends.

Saturday, Russ and I are meeting two other couples at a local tavern for dinner and then going to one of their homes to chat after. Two former classmates and their spouses. One couple is our farmer friends who grow cherries and apples.

Have you tried the intermittent fasting way of eating? I know several people that have lost a lot of pounds doing it but I tended to gain and don't know why.
  • mizpaden74
    I kind of do intermittent fasting - I wait as long as I can in the mornings - my goal is 10, but usually by 9 to 9:30 a.m. I break down and have my 'weak' protein shake (using about a half scoop of powder so only 40 cals) and then do my apple at 10:30. I have a low calories lunch and I usually manage this everyday - it's when I get home I just don't have the control to not eat everything - but I still stop by 7 - so technically I fall in the school of thought of the intermittent fasting, just it's a shorter amount of time that I am still eating too many calories. My maintenance calories for me personally is only like 1500 - so I really have to be at or under 1200 to lose anything and that's not much food. Especially since I am not a good no calorie (i.e. veggies) eater.

After listening to all my issues, the doc is recommending hormone replacement therapy. With how my joint paint is so bad and came on pretty much at the same time as my last period he thinks it could help. Obviously it's a worry for other issues at some point, but I think maybe giving this a try is how I want to proceed. I am getting more and more painful everyday. We'll see, still waiting to hear back from the doc office, they said it can take a couple of days to get insurance approval. Oh and colonoscopy testing too! yay. He will let me do the cologuard - so at least not the full on one yet. And since I gained five pounds in the last year and my glucose is up, yep, really need to focus on my weight, which I know and maybe the hrt will help somehow? So we'll see. I don't love taking new meds, most of the time I don't feel like meds are successful for me, but I think I need to try.

I think I would enjoy to see a bear, but would probably feel a little frightened knowing they are so close to my house and pets. Hopefully not aggressive.

Hump day!
  • jrbanta
    I hope HRT gives you some relief. I was not a candidate due to family history of breast cancer with my sister (twice) and my mother(once).

I went to aqua fit at the YMCA this morning. It is the furthest I've ever driven to work out but living in a rural area does that. I'm about 12-15 miles from the Y driving country roads until I get to Traverse City. It was a good class. The teacher is very good compared to other teachers I've had doing aqua classes. The ladies I met were also very friendly. Pretty much a class of seniors with exception of a few. I did the aerobic class and then the water yoga stretches. It felt good and I am going to like it. I can't go to that class again until next Monday due to Friday commitment. I will go and do weight machines Friday afternoon if it works.

Jeff, Karah and the kids were given notice to evacuate St. Augustine last night. They live on Anastasia Island which is connected to the mainland by a bridge and along A1A Hwy, it eventually connects to mainland. They are in the path of the storm. Jeff sand bagged all entrances at his house and bungied the garbage cans closed and together. They left last night to Rome, GA northwest of Atlanta to Karah's parents. They arrived about 3:30am and will be there at least the next couple of days. The storm is moving slowly so they may not be able to go back until Saturday and see if they have any flooding or damage. I hope their house doesn't have damage. They just had their front yard re-landscaped so I hope it doesn't take a beating either.

Charlie and I walked where we dropped all the apples today. Many are gone or half eaten so I assume the deer or other animals are on the move after it gets dark. I'm hoping Russ buys some trail cams. I would like to see what comes through and what time. On the way to Traverse City and back today, families of turkeys were gathered to cross the road. It's funny how they all move in a large family group.

I need to call and get an appt for my snow tires to be put on by early November. I can't believe it is time for them again.

Enjoy your Wednesday!
  • jrbanta
    Today I volunteer at Power Books and my oldest sister, Lynn, is going with me. She use to volunteer at a food pantry in Traverse City but hasn't gone back since Covid. She had to stand a lot of her day there so not sure she could do that now with her kidney stone pain and overall weakness. This may be a good setting for her since we can sit or stand while we organize and pack activity bags and books for kids.

Windows getting washed inside and out today. I'll be glad to see out of some of them again. So much rubbing alcohol was sprayed on screens and windows when the fruit flies were covering them. Ugh!

I was sore last night from my aqua fit class. I'm excited I have one to attend again though. I am putting in my schedule for Monday and Wed mornings so I go at least twice a week. I'll aim for one other work out on the fitness floor so I do 3 workouts per week. That is the best I can do and don't want to fizzle out. Roads and weather will play apart though. With Russ working M-W, we won't be riding together in his 4-wheel drive truck like we originally planned. Maybe that 3rd workout we can do that.

FL really has been hit hard. Waiting to see what happens in Jeff and Karah's area.
  • jrbanta
    Lynn and I were the only volunteers today. We worked packing books for various counties parent/child programs.

Windows are clean inside and out going into winter so that feels good too. Becky and I are going to ride tomorrow afternoon instead of me going to the Y. I will be exercising inside soon enough so I'll ride tomorrow since weather is good.

Surge and tide flooded Jeff and Karah's neighborhood streets and the water was up to their garage door (they have a slight hill so had to be alot of water to go that high). They are still in Rome but his neighbor who stayed home has been taking photos and videos and sending them to Jeff.

Sun is out but feels chilly inside and out today.
  • mizpaden74
    Watching Florida has been hard. I am glad that Jeff and Karah evacuated. I'm sure they are worried about their home. We have two plants in Sarasota. So far what I am hearing that all partners are ok, but there is no power anywhere. That can be a a problem that lasts a long time.

It's nice that your sister went to the volunteering with you. Maybe it will be something that you will want to continue together.

My mom's birthday is next week, so I texted her tonight that we wanted to come up tomorrow night and bring her cake and have cake together. She texts back that would be great and that Dad says we can go out to dinner too. Of course. As usual, what I suggest isn't good enough. I hate going out to eat with Dad. He is such a pain. Unpleasant and often rude. Yuck. I just wanted to go have a short visit and cake. As usual, dad gets his way and makes it all about what he demands. Meh.

Anyway, Friday eve
  • jrbanta
    Jeff's neighbor sent him pictures of his driveway and street flooding. Lots of water! He sent me pictures from his Ring doorbell looking at his front yard. Portion of fence down and some standing water next to garage. The storm hung out in his area for quite awhile so he didn't know if they had any more wind damage or not. They hope to drive home tomorrow if water has receded and they can get to their neighborhood. He said many people stay rather than evacuate. Most have been through other hurricanes like Irma and Matthew. This was way worse! This was their first big storm so they evacuated with kids. I'm glad and hope they continue to do this for future hurricanes. Not worth putting any family member in danger. Losing power would mean no AC, water for cooking, drinking or washing, etc. I would imagine most stock up on bottled water and other things.

I am zooming with MN friends in a bit and then Becky and I will ride. It will be around 59-60 which feels cold on a bike. I may end up wearing my light weight down vest. Tis' the season that is arriving.

I hope you have a great day and enjoy your weekend. TGIF!
  • mizpaden74
    Friyay!

Caleb texted that a couple of New Worlds friends (the singing group) from last year are coming to Lincoln this weekend and that he is going to cook for them all at a different friends apartment. Sounds nice. It is homecoming weekend in Lincoln, so was kind of hoping he would take part in festivities, but just want him to do well and have fun (safely ;>))

It's been a day!

Have a great weekend.
  • jrbanta
    That's cool that C is going to cook for his friends. Did he join any music groups at UNL? Does he plan to? Rory had an adjustment to college his first semester and everything started to gel second half of the year. C will find his niche.

I was planning to wade in Lake MI and look for rocks for my garden but it is low 60's. I think I will wait until early summer next year. I don't want to get sick and I've been so chilled with the temperature changes.

Our bike ride was beautiful yesterday. Perfect Fall day but the trail was busy. Some people with poor trail etiquette, giving no warning they are coming up behind you and weaving in and out of people. They give all cyclists a bad name. We rode about 22 miles which helped my tight calves to loosen up a bit. I was so chilled last night that I put on a thick sweater and put a blanket over my legs. I was better when I took a hot shower.

It is foggy out so I'm not motivated to begin yard work. Maybe I'll collect my yard decor and put that away today. We are suppose to meet two couples for dinner but the restaurant we planned to go to closed last night due to faulty software they use for processing orders and payments. Not sure if they will be up and running today so we will have to choose another restaurant.

Hope you have a great Saturday.
  • mizpaden74
    I wonder if I will ever feel chilled again? Dinner at my folks was about as expected. I spent over three hours feeling boiled alive and batting gnats or fruit flies away. It’s no wonder with all the fruit and tomatoes sitting around on the counter. But mom will never put them in the fridge because it “ruins “ them. Yea, but bugs everywhere doesn’t. Ick. I feel exhausted today. I’m glad it made mom happy but it really takes it out of me.

Saturday!
  • jrbanta
    We finally beat the fruit fly infestation. I see an occasional one now. We had to put the produce away and threw some out.

You will feel chilled again when you get past the menopause stage. It doesn't mean you won't have an occasional hot flash but they will be milder and may not occur at all for you. I'm just so lucky to still get them but they are nothing like I experienced in my 40's and early 50's. Now they tend to happen when I'm sleeping and have layers of covers on, if I drink a cocktail, wine or beer, and if I eat too much in one sitting. I've questioned my body thermo stat mechanism and if it is off kilter. I don't know what controls body temp. I sweat excessively when it is hot and my limbs feel like ice when temps drop.

We went out to dinner with the two couples last night in our town. We came back to our house afterwards and visited until about 9:30. It was a nice evening. Four of us were classmates and Russ and another guy did not go to school with us. Sometimes they have to suffer through our memories or talking about people they don't know.

Today I will get the plant pots from the cemetery and begin on the yard. I never got to it yesterday since plans changed for people to come to our house. I cleaned bathrooms and vacuumed, picked up drinks and cookies at the store, and then showered and relaxed. It's beautiful out today so being outside will be nice.

Enjoy your Sunday and hopefully you get to relax.
  • mizpaden74
    so I guess my new prescription is at the pharmacy. I will go pick it up today, though I don't think I will start it until maybe Thursday. I often feel pretty bad when I start a new medication and Michele is gone Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so I don't want to be unable to make it in. I also need to locate where to get the seasonal Covid booster the doc recommended - and figure out when to do that as all the other shots have made me feel gross the day after as well. I'm nervous about starting this new regime, but hopeful. Haven't gotten my Cologuard kit yet.

Did Jeff and Karah head back to their home?

Have a great day.
  • jrbanta
    I hope you adjust to the HRT medication without too much difficulty. I haven't had reactions to the Covid vaccines and I've had 4 and have another one scheduled end of October.

I went to aqua fit this morning and then Costco. Class was good but my right foot is sore from my arthritis in that foot. At least I think that is what causes the pain there.

Last night I was sitting in the den reading and watching TV at about 10:15. All of a sudden coyotes started howling and yipping and they sounded like they were next to the house or by the garden. So eerie and scared me quite a bit. I don't like they that have been so close to the house lately. They wander through in the night, hang out in the pine grove and now were very close to the house.

I picked up dinner at Costco for tonight. We are having a ravioli lasagna with bolognese sauce, caesar salad and mini naan bread. Easy peasy!

I should cut down perennials this afternoon but may wait until tomorrow. Feeling lazy and wanting to relax after work out.
  • jrbanta
    Today is going to be nice. I will check the inside of the camper and put things away for winter, begin to cut some perennials back (finally), and go to the pharmacy.

My sister is going to be my guest at the Y tomorrow for class. She is thinking of joining and wants to try the class and be shown around. It's funny that she thinks it is so far to drive to exercise but she has no problem driving to Traverse City frequently to shop for food. Combine the two trips and drive there less often seems to be a solution. I will be surprised if she actually joins though.

Charlie and I walked this morning, briefly. He was smelling everything! It must be quite the animal party in the middle of the night outside our house.

Well I hope you have a nice day.