The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    Shirley- very cute picture. I'm jealous of Isaac!

Slept in today and then went to Costco and out to lunch with Russ. I picked up chocolate protein drinks with only 1g sugar but 30 g protein each. I plan to drink one when I can't get lunch or am running late in morning. My doctor suggested them to increase my protein intake. I can't seem to get beyond 60 g's or so per day and the nutrionist wants me to eat 100 grams per day. Ugh! I also bought Red Krill gel caps to get my fish oil and hopefully help my joint pain. We'll see.

I worked in the yard today raking my flower beds out and cutting down old stalks. All is ready for sun and rain. Seriously, I'm going to have Russ sod over 3 flower beds so I don't have to deal with them anymore. My legs are so sore and somewhat swollen from doing the chore. I'm beginning to wonder if I have Lymphedema because I swell so much when I do anything active including walking in a mall. It causes a lot of discomfort in my knees and feet.

Beautiful here...80's. Back to work tomorrow.

Hope you all had a nice weekend.
    Jenny
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Today turned into such a beautiful afternoon! After a nasty weather week, with getting more of that white stuff twice, it was wonderful. I even manged to fit in a run in between the morning church service and needing to leave for choir. It was about +10 when I went as I'm running in my short sleeved shirt and thinking I would regret wearing pants (I did) I saw a group of four people walking towards me (on the other side of the street) wearing winter parkas and hats!! They made me hot!

I am trying hard to get back on track with eating right and running. (Hence squeezing that run in today). I seemed to have done good today. I hope I can keep it up. I'm going to try to run every day between now and my race day - only 13 days away! Race day is almost here, whether or not I am ready for it!
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    cute pic Shirley -
    good yard work Jenny - I too swell sooo much - I hate it - even when I am exercising well I always feel so puffy - I am always looking for socks that won't leave marks
    Ang - glad you have good weather - it is pouring here - the rain is needed for the farmers - wasn't good for golf

pretty freaked out by the word we got late Friday that a threat had been discovered for the high school - the message that was sent out stated they deemed it safe (or whatever the words they used) but listening to Zach and my niece I hope they are treating much more rigorously serious than the message indicated - my niece who is very tuned in to the goings on (because she listens to everything and is smart enough to know who is telling the truth) said that a couple of kids who were expelled this fall for various disturbing things including cemetery desecration are threatening to shoot the teacher(s) involved with their expulsion on Wednesday afternoon. It sounds like a pretty serious and specific threat - what would you guys do? Do you send your kids to school and trust that it will be ok - I know we do that on a daily basis and probably on Wednesday there will be a police presence but still - not ok - and what the H kind of world do our babies have to grow up in where this is just part of the day?
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Marla - Very scary times, not like when my daughters grew up and especially not like when I grew up.
    I would call the school and ask if its necessary to keep your kids home because you are one concerned parent. What is going on in the states with all this shooting? Gun control? I remember when our
    customs agents did not wear guns for years. They do now. My grandson is growing up in this crazy world. I hope you can get a handle on this.

Jenny - I have taken the Krill oil too and it does help a little with osteoarthritis and now I am taking
    just Omega 3 fish oil and have been for years. When that bottle runs out I still have some krill oil. I hope it helps you, you can only try. Do you take a diuretic for fluid retention? Maybe something you can talk
    to your doctor about.

Ang - Good luck with your training!!

Yoga class this morning and now doing laundry. Dave just left for his token walk with our friend Tom,
    who still works. Dave is trying to get him more active because he huffs and puffs with minimal exertion.
    I made some slimming soup today too and getting close to meditation time so I better close.
    Isaac's last day in Mexico tomorrow and then homeward bound.

Have a good evening.

Shirley

• jrbanta
    Options
    Warm weather yesterday and today. Cooling off now so tomorrow will be the coolest day of the week.

Great job on your run Ang and setting a goal to run every day until the race. You can do it!

Shirley- I do take a low dose of a blood pressure medication that is suppose to help remove fluid. In the mean time I try to drink water to flush my body. Do you make the cabbage WW soup?

Marla- My socks also leave marks and puffiness (swelling) . It doesn't take much movement for it to happen. It's been humid the last two days and my joints feel it. I told Russ we need to travel to a dry climate and see if it makes a difference (southwest?).

We went to Pizza Ranch tonight for dinner for my program fundraiser. Russ and I drove separately so I could stay and visit with a friend/coworker that moved to Michigan but is in town this week. She and her baby met us there to eat together. It was fun catching up with her. Max, her son, is a cutie and at such a fun age, 8 months.

Well debating whether to sit in the hot tub since it is cooler out tonight.

Have a wonderful evening!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    the message is now that it was a 'false threat' and the student has been dealt with - and now they (administration) are frowning over the fact that many, many of the students are worked up and saying they aren't going to school tomorrow. I don't get how the admin can state "the students are talking about it too much" - uh - they're kids - TEENAGERS - they talk about everything too much - and this is scary - does talking about it make it better - no - but don't be idiots who act like you don't understand the basic physiology of teens. And - on the God forbid end - if something terrible were ever to happen and they hadn't talked about what they heard - they would be blamed for that - Zach doesn't want to go to school tomorrow - I personally don't think anything will happen - that tomorrow will be the safest day ever at a school - but I don't know that making him go is the right answer - if it was just being tired and crabby - yeah - suck it up and go to school - being worried about your physical safety? Gah.

And track was terrible for Caleb again -

....Calgon....
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Marla - Hard times for you and the kids lately. At least it was a false statement, but that's how it starts
    and then the kids decide to take action. Glad to hear the school is aware and some punishment has
    been done.

Jenny - I too take an HB pill and have for years, but when travelling I really retain fluid. I started
    wearing compression socks when I travel and it helped. Have you thought of that, like knee highs
    and socks?

I did another Fitbit challenge today and ended up in fourth place. Competition is good and it keeps
    me accountable. Dave and I walked this morning around the neighborhood. I finished up the laundry
    and cleaned the downstairs. Trying to get ready for the party on Saturday for my MIL's 90th b-day.
    We ordered the trays, cake and I still have some odds and ends and flowers to get later in the week.

Tonight is choir practice and only 2 more practices left before the concert. :)

Have a good evening.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Shirley- I retain fluid when I travel too. Too much sitting in car or plane. I've thought of compression socks but haven't tried them. Nice getting your exercise in. 90 years for MIL? Wow, she is hanging in there.

Marla- Sorry you and the boys are having a rough time lately. I hope your vacation is a blast to make up for it. Why is Caleb struggling with track? Does he like it? School threats are scary. My boys high school had a few over the years. It's too bad this stuff happens and the kids have to worry. We never thought about this when we were young (my age range).

I bought my protein drinks at Costco. I have been drinking atleast one per day but today I had one at breakfast with my toast and fruit and one at lunch with my soup and veggies. Dinner ought to get me to the 90-100 gram mark.

Well dinner is ready so I'm going to eat. These Hello Fresh meals are the best!

Jenny
  • angf0679
    Options
    Marla - I will be praying things settle down at the school.

Jenny - Good for you! I've been thinking of trying protein drinks. I need more protein as a runner!

Shirley - Good for you with the FitBit challenge!!

Forgetfulness and procrastination caught up with me. Monday I was up to midnight and up at 4. Last night I was up to 12:30 and up at 4:45. Really don't recommend any of those things. However, I got my morning in door run (mornings are to cold to go outside still) and it feels good to start that way. Going to bed so late I'm amazed that I was even able to get up so early! I will need my coffee again today to help me through the day. I can't do this to myself again. I may be the youngest one here but I'm not as young as I was when I was in grad school and could operate on only 2-4 hours of sleep a night!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    thanks for the good thoughts ladies - I feel like I am really struggling recently with so many different difficulties - added in to absolutely not eating well or exercising enough I hate the way I look and pants fit tight- meh

(Caleb is struggling at track because of either real (or perceived) thoughts of being too slow - and things like getting picked last - and typical b.s. behavior that I can't believe any teacher still does pick your teams - because no one wants to be last picked and it inevitably leads to self-loathing thoughts and often taunts from others - grrrrrrrr

so exhausted last night from stressing about today (THE day) for the school threat - I do believe it will be fine - but it still involved a lot of anxiety on all of our parts - Zach decided to go to school and I pray that not just today will be peaceful but all the days to come - but that is not the world he have to deal with - and I am just drained - middle school drama and angst and high school drama and safety issues - CALGON

Ang - I have never been able to do 2-4 hours - great job on the running - you can do this - what an inspiration -
    Shirley - that's what I should do - I need the accountability - the was part of what made WW weigh ins work was knowing I had to get on that scale in front of someone - shudder -
    Jenny - I think those box meals look really interesting - something I will probably get more interested when the kids are out of the house - I'm sure they would turn their nose

Is it Friday yet?
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Another sunny day but cool but I will take it!

I had Yoga class this morning and paid for my workshop for Sunday night. It will be music, candles
    and "Just Be." Love it! I visited my MIL after class and brought her coffee as I always do and she
    appreciates it.

I had choir practice last night and paid Paula for the car incident. She had already got her car fixed
    as her husband said that she would probably not get a lower estimate. So she received the cheque
    last night and that is off my mind. I am parking in the back of the church from now on. ;)

Marla - Hoping things calm down soon and your trip will be fun and relaxing.

Jenny - Try wearing some compression socks to work under a pair of pants and see how
    your legs feel at the end of the day. I bought mine at my chiropractor's office. I think you
    will see a difference.

Ang- Get some sleep!!!

Shirley

Isaac comes home from Mexico today, what a lucky little guy. o:)

• jrbanta
    Options
    Marla- the meals are not kid friendly. Very healthy but pretty much veggies, lean meats and a grain (couscous/bulgar/brown rice). It is so hard to watch kids go through the angst of middle and high school, ugh! Hang in there! All you can do is be there for them when it's rough and show you love them. They will work it out and work through the hard times knowing you care.

Shirley- I bet you can't wait to give Isaac a hug! Enjoy! With summer coming on and our office is so hot I can't imagine wearing socks at all. I usually wear capris or shorts to work in the summer. I may have to choose long pants and try your idea of compression socks. Do they come up to the knees?

Ang- Nice being so disciplined with your exercise. WTG!

Time to go home. It's a beautiful, sunny, warm day so I want to get out on the deck for Vitamin D!

I've taken the Krill Oil for 2 days. What is this stuff suppose to do for me?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    golf today for Zach (as long as it doesn't rain out) and praying for both a better round than the last one (where he finished dead last and for all the furor to die down about the threat/fake threat bring your torches and pitchforks deal) I would curl up in a ball and probably never get up if something happened to my babies - but we are just as likely to be wiped out in a car accident or by cancer - we have to try to remain sane and trust the authorities to do what they need to do and to not vilify all kids in general for all being murdering sociopaths in training -

I'm so tired and my head hurts and heart hurts - people are stupid
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Marla - I agree let the police do what they have to do and you will just have to trust them.

Jenny - Maybe you can try the socks on the weekend just to see. Yes.. they are like knee socks and
    they also have knee highs in compression. My MIL wears them but doesn't like it with capris pants either, but she is 90 so she just gives in. The krill oil is supposed to help with your arthritis but
    it takes a while to work so be patient.

Not much happening today, I went for a walk around the neighborhood before it started raining.
    Dave is at the boat buffing and it started there too so he came home.

Shirley :)

• jrbanta
    Options
    Well today was my jewelry party fundraiser. I had at least 6 outside orders and 11 people attended plus me. That's the largest group I've ever had for one of these sales parties. I think because 25% of profits go to a nonprofit for persons with congenital heart defects got people to attend and order if they couldn't. I don't know party sales yet but I think it could be $1000 or more.

Marla- I hope your vacation brings joy to you and your family. Leave all the bad stuff behind when you go.

Shirley- I'll have to check out those socks. Even when I'm working around the house or reading they may be good for me. I will be patient with the Krill Oil.

Hi Ang!

Just got out of the hot tub and showered. My joints and foot have been hurting quite a bit this past week.

Beautiful temperatures and weather though!

Tomorrow my son will come for dinner. I haven't see him in a few weeks so that will be nice. His significant other is in Milwaukee visiting her family so he's alone at his house. We plan to grill steak and shrimp and roast some veggies.

More another time!
    Jenny
  • angf0679
    Options
    It's a new week. I new week to try to stay on track all week. Last week got away from me.

Thursday and Friday were so beautiful out!! I hated being stuck inside at work all day. Thursday when I went for my run, I wore a pair or capris and a short sleeved shirt! I felt so light! Friday when I got off from work I took a long slow walk down to the bridge where I catch the bus across (instead of taking the bus down there) Fridays are busy for me and I have no time for a run on those days. It got into the 20s that day! Back to cold though. My run this morning, it was 4 with a feel like like of -1. Most of my run was running into the cold. It was only at my back for less then 10 minutes. (My run was 35:55 today.)

I have a Garmin! After Thursdays where my Runkeeper went nuts and didn't record I realized it was time. I got the least inexpensive one - the Forerunner 10. It gives me my distance, pace time and calories. I did my first run with it today. I have to get use to wear it. It's a larger face then a regular watch (of which I haven't worn one in nearly 2 years now) and it feels heavy on the arm. I'm sure I will get used to it quickly.

Jenny - Hope you are enjoying your day with your son!

Shirley - How much longer until you start going out in your boat?

• Shirley61
    Options
    Hi All!

Ang - It is still cool here and also today. We probably won't get out in the boat until the weather turns
    warmer and stays there. A late start this season. Right now it is still on the cradle and getting the
    bottom paint on and waxing and buffing the outside as is always the start of the season. The
    inside will get done when the boat is in the water and that is my job. LOL

Jenny - I didn't know you had a jewlery party I must have missed that. Great that it went well!

Our 90th bday party was yesterday and it was a hit as was the birthday girl and of course Isaac!
    We got a great picture of my MIL with all grandkids and great grandkids and Isaac in the middle.
    I will post it when I get a chance.

Kristina is here and her boyfriend John from Argentina and yes they are cohabiting and he is working
    some. He starts school in September at college and that will open up immigration rights for him
    for working and staying longer in Canada. So far so good.

Tonight is my Yoga workshop and just relaxing today.

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I played with handbells this weekend - it was a lot of fun - harder than I expected but a lot of fun

the track meet was as unpleasant as I anticipated - Caleb was last in shot, discus and his 100 flight - yuck, yuck, yuck - he was very emotional Sunday and there were tears as he finally said the words that I have been fearing for awhile now - he feels fat and a failure - so we talked a lot about we are all different sized and such and while there is nothing wrong with where he is now - if he wants to try to lose some weight I will help him - but I know how hard it's going to be - because I have made some changes over the last year already - but he is a terrible snacker and doesn't like a lot of things - and because as we all know it takes time - even if we successfully begin more correctly it will takes weeks and months to chip away at it - I need your prayers ladies -
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Prayers Marla to your and the family. o:)

Have you thought about taking him to a dietician, per doctor apt.? That might take some of the stress
    off of you and giving him a program to follow which you can help him with. Just saying, just let me
    know if I am too nosey. :|

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I have thought about lots of things - including those kids weight programs but fear that will feed the thought that there is something 'wrong' with him - we ordered a fitbit and it should arrive today - he seems excited to be able to track things - I have thought about signing him up on MFP but don't want him to become obsessed with calorie counting - the first few days have gone ok - he is now wanting to pack his lunch and has done better at night - last night was the end of year music ministry celebration at a pizza buffet place - I encouraged him to try to only have 1 breadstick and to drink water - I had Bernie take him because I was busy so I didn't see how much other stuff he ate - but he seemed proud of himself when he came home (I only had 1 breadstick!) - but I don't want to become a Nazi and I don't want to make food bad - sigh - so tired already